• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Sethos said:
It's so awesome, my body has been changing a megaton over the past 3 weeks, especially my face is slimming down and my co-workers are really taking notice. Barely a month ago they were poking fun at my low-carb diet and said it was a crock of ... yes. Now 3 of them are constantly asking questions about it after hearing about my progress, like what they'd have to cut out and "Is butter okay?", "How about coffee?!" and now I've just become the Low-carb lexicon in our department.

Spreading the low-carb message, one person at a' time.

Awesome job! It's such a great feeling when people start asking you about your weight loss.
:D

It depends on the tuna. Ahi tuna is absolutely loaded with mercury, but chunk light is fairly safe to eat (although you shouldn't eat it every day). Salmon is superior in every way though.

I enjoy a good sardine. People need to give them a shot. Good source of protein and calcium.

AceBandage said:
I enjoy a good sardine. People need to give them a shot. Good source of protein and calcium.

Totally with you on that. I feel like a lot of people ignore some of the smaller fish like anchovies, sardines, and catfish when they're actually much healthier to eat. Whitefish is amazing too.

Now I'm hungry.

Filth

Gary Whitta said:
Just so you have a general idea of where I'm starting out, I am currently incapable of doing even one single pull-up :

when i first started working out i coudnt do a single pull up. even if you can squeeze out one thats better then none. one turns into two. i say by 3 months youll do 40 like nothing.

Sethos

Banned
ch0mp said:
No. High omega-6.
Walnut oil good. Don't know about cooking with it though.

Was looking for some oil for my constipation, add it to salads etc. to get some lubrication going :p I was told oil could help. So I just need something to spruce up a few dishes, not for cooking. I tend to use butter when I cook in any case.

Thanks man

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:
Was looking for some oil for my constipation, add it to salads etc. to get some lubrication going :p I was told oil could help. So I just need something to spruce up a few dishes, not for cooking. I tend to use butter when I cook in any case.

Thanks man

Use olive oil for salads!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Gary Whitta said:
I want to try the HIIT cardio but the treadmill I have at home is too shitty and wobbly to feel like I can run on it without holding on to the bars. Should have bought a better one!

At least gradually build up to 5-10 miles in moderate running before doing something like HIIT. You don't want to spend months in physical therapy nurturing some secondary muscle that crapped out from sprinting like a mad man without the fitness to support it. Or a neuromuscular disorder.

Had an elderly type 2 diabetic lady tell me today she is limited to only 4 eggs per week.

I play dumb:
"why is that?"

her:
"because of the cholesterol"

Didn't have the time to give her the speil, nor would it do any good for a lady that does everything her doctor tells her. Imagine the look of horror if I told her I eat 4 dozen eggs per week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ipukespiders said:
Had an elderly type 2 diabetic lady tell me today she is limited to only 4 eggs per week.

I play dumb:
"why is that?"

her:

Didn't have the time to give her the speil, nor would it do any good for a lady that does everything her doctor tells her. Imagine the look of horror if I told her I eat 4 dozen eggs per week.

Jesus, I've already had five today!

Every time I see a horribly obese person I have a strong urge to drop some knowledge on them, but I never say anything. Most people probably don't want to hear anything, anyway.

ipukespiders said:

I play dumb:
"why is that?"

her:

heh. I eat anywhere from 6-12 a day.

Zoe

Zefah said:
All you need to do HIIT sprints is... well access to some open space outside.

I really can't bring myself to do that when it's still 80 degrees at 5:30 in the morning :mad:

teh_pwn

Zoe said:
I really can't bring myself to do that when it's still 80 degrees at 5:30 in the morning :mad:

It's fucking 80 in my apartment right now. Fuck this summer.

teh_pwn

Zoe said:
It was 83 when I came home! And the A/C was running!

Yeah it's bad. I'm sleeping from like 2-9AM these days because of the heat.

harSon

Banned
I have to search around for a picture of when I was at my biggest weight (351 pounds), but I suppose there's a big enough transformation between these two pictures to show my progress.

The 1st picture was taken early January 2011, I weighed something just north of 290.
TG0Cz.jpg

The 2nd picture was taken a few moments ago, I haven't weighed myself in a bit, but considering I was in roughly 223 pounds 2 weeks ago, I assume I'm somewhere just south of 220 now. I'm 6'2" if anyone was wondering.
iFTiN.png

Other tidbits: I went from a 3XL shirt to a L/XL depending if I want the shirt to fit nicely or loose. I dropped from a 46 inch waist to a 36 inch waist.

I'm not sure where I want to plateau at, I'd imagine something between 180-190.

I'll try and find a picture of when I was 351 too...

big_z

Gary Whitta said:
I want to try the HIIT cardio but the treadmill I have at home is too shitty and wobbly to feel like I can run on it without holding on to the bars. Should have bought a better one!

yeah you have to put some serious money down for a good treadmill. i have an EPIC View 550 which is considered mid-range in terms of quality and it costs a grand. you can run on it fine but i still had to replace parts due to wear after a year of running. :(

the only way to get something that will last is to pay a lot and get a treadmill that isnt made from consumer grade parts. the markup on these things is huge.

Sethos

Banned
Excellent work harSon! Love this thread, really is the best motivator.

On another note, am I the only one getting a bit scared of this diet sometimes? I mean, Tuesday morning I woke up and got on the scale, around 16.5 pounds lost. Get on in this morning again and it's now at 18.1 - It's scary how fast it's going now, not even sure it's healthy.

AiTM

Banned
Sethos said:

On another note, am I the only one getting a bit scared of this diet sometimes? I mean, Tuesday morning I woke up and got on the scale, around 16.5 pounds lost. Get on in this morning again and it's now at 18.1 - It's scary how fast it's going now, not even sure it's healthy.

Thats great man, what does your diet consist of? If it's lowcarb, how is your energy levels?

Sethos

Banned
AiTM said:
Thats great man, what does your diet consist of? If it's lowcarb, how is your energy levels?

Currently my diet is very cut-down and my calorie intake per day probably isn't too impressive. Breakfast has mostly consisted of soft-boiled eggs ( Love 'em! ) and then something on the side to actually feel full, a piece of meat from last night's dinner or some heated liver pate ( it's a classic Danish spread ). Rarely I might splurge and weigh out 200g of strawberry yoghurt but that's only when I know my lunch / dinner is going to be low / no-carb.

Lunch is also very much the same. Two pieces of rye bread which is basically my main carb source in the diet. 38g per 100g which is two slices. Then some spreads, usually various meats or sausages. When I want to go no-carb I open a can of cod roe or mackerel in tomato and just eat that with a fork :p Quite nasty honestly.

Dinner is my main calorie intake, 2-3 pieces of meat ( Chicken, steak or whatever made it into the shopping basket ) and some salad, that's about it.

So could probably be a very low calorie intake that is propelling me this fast. I just don't feel hungry due to the heat and when your body has reached ketosis and this stage in the diet, you get full easily and feel less hungry. I do have some snacks which is pork rinds or almonds.

I am running at less energy than I could have. I feel fantastic after dinner, so much energy but my daily state is a bit below that due to the low calorie intake. However, it's still 30-40% more energy than I had at my highest weight plus all the health benefits, not a single acid reflux, haven't had a headache in a long time ( Except when I went into ketosis ) and my mood has improved tenfold.

Can't wait for my mountain bike to arrive next week, should get me some proper excercise.

EDIT: Went to the bathroom and then tried to weigh myself again, now it's at 18.7 lost, ha.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gah, I ate an organic gala apple for breakfast and added it to my calorie counter and the damn thing had 26g of carbs! The carbs...they sneak up on you from everywhere?

I am still looking for great work breakfast suggestions. I have bounced around between a cup of greek yogurt, an apple, and I even tried 3 hardboiled eggs (boiled them the night before), but they weren't very appetizing the next day.

What do you all eat for breakfast at work?

omgkitty

Deadly Cyclone said:
Gah, I ate an organic gala apple for breakfast and added it to my calorie counter and the damn thing had 26g of carbs! The carbs...they sneak up on you from everywhere?

I am still looking for great work breakfast suggestions. I have bounced around between a cup of greek yogurt, an apple, and I even tried 3 hardboiled eggs (boiled them the night before), but they weren't very appetizing the next day.

I have been mainly eating a fiber one bar. It's not really great carb wise, but overall not bad. If you go somewhere like Publix, you can buy hard boiled eggs in packages already cooked and shelled. I tried making them one time and the look and smell of them grossed me out so I threw them away. I'd rather pay the dollar or 2 for a pack of 2. I also eat an apple at lunch, but those are natural carbs and not processed, so overall it probably isn't too bad. Plus, it has fiber in it.

Sethos

Banned
Kitchen tip: Add generous amounts of salt to the water when boiling eggs. Makes them less susceptible to cracking and they are much easier to peel.

Deadly Cyclone said:

bake a ton of bacon at the weekend and stick it in the fridge. Do you have a microwave at work? Get one of those egg microwave cooker things.

harSon

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how well low-carb is going to work for me once I start up school. My current diet pretty much requires me to be around a kitchen. I haven't really devised a good on-the-go plan yet... I should definitely get on that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
infiniteloop said:
bake a ton of bacon at the weekend and stick it in the fridge. Do you have a microwave at work? Get one of those egg microwave cooker things.

Sir you may be on to something, we do indeed have a microwave here. Hmm.

As for bacon, I guess I could make some and reheat it in the AM.

Thanks for the suggestions people, now what about lunch?

EDIT:
I found this microwave omelet maker too, looks like it might be the perfect thing to take to work. Mix up the omelet and put it in this the night before, and take to work in the morning.

http://www.amazon.com/Joie-50174-Microwave-Omelet-Pot/dp/B001DH6GZW/ref=pd_sbs_k_12

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sethos said:
Kitchen tip: Add generous amounts of salt to the water when boiling eggs. Makes them less susceptible to cracking and they are much easier to peel.

I've never personally had an issue with cracking, but yeah, this is a good suggestion nonetheless. Alternatively, I dissolve a couple tablespoons of baking soda in the ice water the eggs get transferred to, and it provides the same effect on ease of peeling.

If the hard-boiled eggs are "unappetizing," discolored or smell odd, you're likely overcooking them (or using eggs that weren't any good to begin with). My method:

1. Eggs into a pot, cover with water; fill a separate bowl with ice water and some baking soda, put in the fridge.
2. Lid on the pot, bring to a boil.
3. Once it reaches a rolling boil, shut off the heat and let the eggs sit (still covered) for 10-15 minutes.
4. Transfer eggs to the ice water, put back into the fridge for 30-60 minutes, then store them in a container or spare egg carton.

Peels perfectly, tastes great, absolutely no discoloration or sulfur smell, and will keep for over a week. I make a dozen at a time. $1.25 vs spending $10-$12 buying them precooked at a store, and it's dead simple.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cosmic Bus said:
I've never personally had an issue with cracking, but yeah, this is a good suggestion nonetheless. Alternatively, I dissolve a couple tablespoons of baking soda in the ice water the eggs get transferred to, and it provides the same effect on ease of peeling.

If the hard-boiled eggs are "unappetizing," discolored or smell odd, you're likely overcooking them (or using eggs that weren't any good to begin with). My method:

1. Eggs into a pot, cover with water; fill a separate bowl with ice water and some baking soda, put in the fridge.
2. Lid on the pot, bring to a boil.
3. Once it reaches a rolling boil, shut off the heat and let the eggs sit (still covered) for 10-15 minutes.
4. Transfer eggs to the ice water, put back into the fridge for 30-60 minutes, then store them in a container or spare egg carton.

Peels perfectly, tastes great, absolutely no discoloration or sulfur smell, and will keep for over a week. I make a dozen at a time. $1.25 vs spending $10-$12 buying them precooked at a store, and it's dead simple.

Yeah, my issue was cold eggs the next morning for breakfast just didn't sit well with me. I love me some deviled eggs, but for breakfast not so much. :p

That omelet thingy in my post above may be perfect though.

I'll be breaking the carb lifestyle today. Two Papa johns pizzas for dinner tonight...I'm gonna try to only hold myself to two slices--or maybe I could just have a cheat day?

NomarTyme

DragonKnight said:
I'll be breaking the carb lifestyle today. Two Papa johns pizzas for dinner tonight...I'm gonna try to only hold myself to two slices--or maybe I could just have a cheat day?
Fight on! two slices should be enough.

AntiTout

harSon said:
I have to search around for a picture of when I was at my biggest weight (351 pounds), but I suppose there's a big enough transformation between these two pictures to show my progress.

The 1st picture was taken early January 2011, I weighed something just north of 290.
pic1

The 2nd picture was taken a few moments ago, I haven't weighed myself in a bit, but considering I was in roughly 223 pounds 2 weeks ago, I assume I'm somewhere just south of 220 now. I'm 6'2" if anyone was wondering.
pic2

Other tidbits: I went from a 3XL shirt to a L/XL depending if I want the shirt to fit nicely or loose. I dropped from a 46 inch waist to a 36 inch waist.

I'm not sure where I want to plateau at, I'd imagine something between 180-190.

I'll try and find a picture of when I was 351 too...

Wow! You look like another person from pic1 to pic2!!! Congratulations.
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Guys like you give me the motivation to continue my diet. Thanks again Mr.

DragonKnight said:

I just had a couple meat lover slices from a local pizzeria...so good. I consider this low carb diet more of a lifestyle change, so i don't beat myself over things like this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:

Have five slices... worth of toppings!

AntiTout

Sethos said:
No, just put the boiled eggs in fresh water.

harSon

Banned
ipukespiders said:
Good smegging job!
Sethos said:
AntiTout said:
Wow! You look like another person from pic1 to pic2!!! Congratulations.
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Guys like you give me the motivation to continue my diet. Thanks again Mr.

Thanks for the compliments guys, it really means a lot! I'm really pushing the issue and trying to get the remainder of this weight off as fast as possible, hopefully I'll have another comparison picture to post in a few months from now.

I have a physical scheduled for the end of this month. Hopefully my health has improved alongside my weight loss.

dejay

Banned
Any other low-carbers notice that they're skin is a lot better?

I've only been on it for a week, but I noticed some skin blemishes have gone and my scalp and area around my nose are a lot less oily than they used to be. It normally hate these ares because 2 hours after washing them they'd be oily. Now that seems to be a lot less. I'll keep track of it but hopefully the new condition is here to stay.

dejay said:
Any other low-carbers notice that they're skin is a lot better?

I've only been on it for a week, but I noticed some skin blemishes have gone and my scalp and area around my nose are a lot less oily than they used to be. It normally hate these ares because 2 hours after washing them they'd be oily. Now that seems to be a lot less. I'll keep track of it but hopefully the new condition is here to stay.

I noticed that as well.
I used to have bad acne, now it's pretty much all gone.
I get like maybe one zit every now and then, but not too bad.

I got my cholesterol test back today and the numbers are not great. I am kinda bummed as I have been on the low-carb diet and exercising well for quite a while now. Had hoped for better :(

Gary Whitta said:
I got my cholesterol test back today and the numbers are not great. I am kinda bummed as I have been on the low-carb diet and exercising well for quite a while now. Had hoped for better :(

Are you exercising?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:

Did you get a detailed blood test or just an overall cholesterol number?

It does take a while for stuff to improve after a lifetime of eating garbage.

Top Bottom