• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

jts said:
Vacations can be hard. While I'm definitely at the most defining moment of getting a slim shape, getting rid of the love handles, getting a slim-y stomach and shit, I'm jumping back and forth between 163 and 158 for longest time now. I just want to get to 150 god dammit. Can't be that hard, can it really.

Had my second cheat day in a row today. I'll be damned if I'm not gonna fast tomorrow.

I ate a lot of crap on vacation lately but lost 5 pounds through walking 50+ miles around London. Where are you staying (also how tall are you)? Or is your vacation done?

NomarTyme

Gary Whitta said:
Bought some awesome pork lard at the farmer's market today. Anyone got any good lard cooking tips? What can I use it for?

Also got this:

[IG]http://i51.tinypic.com/mjaebr.png[/IMG]
Freaking awesome. I would wear the shirt proudly.

As for use of I lard? I would find some Taro and thin slice them so make some Taro chips.

DragonKnight said:
EDIT: Copied for new page

Am I getting too much fat on a given day? Here's the fat I eat:

I eat 1 serving of almonds, 2tbsp of flax seeds 3x, 1 serving of peanut butter, and whatever animal fats that I eat throughout the day. What do you guys think?

And i definitely get under 60 carbs a day if that helps

If you look pass the carbs I say the food you're eating is high in omega six.

Shaneus

Ugh. Yesterday my parents bought a two Hershey bars and a Watchamacallit (I'm in Australia, so they're a novelty) for looking after their house while they were on holiday. To my (pleasant) surprise, all three in total would kick me out of keto but is still well below the 100g carbs which most people would still consider low-carb. Woo!

NomarTyme said:
Freaking awesome. I would wear the shirt proudly.

As for use of I lard? I would find some Taro and thin slice them so make some Taro chips.

If you look pass the carbs I say the food you're eating is high in omega six.

Is this a bad thing? In any case I'm gonna start limiting my fat intake

DragonKnight said:
EDIT: Copied for new page

I eat 1 serving of almonds, 2tbsp of flax seeds 3x, 1 serving of peanut butter, and whatever animal fats that I eat throughout the day. What do you guys think?

And i definitely get under 60 carbs a day if that helps

What fat are you cooking with? Doesn't seem like you're getting enough.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
DragonKnight said:

Edit: And i definitely get under 60 carbs a day if that helps

You can never have too much [animal] fat! But from doing a quick judgement from that list, it seems like a lot of your fats come from nuts. Might want to change that so it's more animal fat than nuts.

ipukespiders said:
Well, if you are eating protein and carbs after your workout, then you don't want to be eating fat.
Fat is for the other 23 hours of the day :)
I've never heard this before.

I typically make my protein shakes with whole milk. Anything particularly wrong with that?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
BertramCooper said:
I've never heard this before.

I typically make my protein shakes with whole milk. Anything particularly wrong with that?

Fat slows the absorption of carbs and protein. It's one of the reasons low fat chocolate milk has been notorious as an excellent post-workout drink:

Fast acting simple sugars
Protein (milk's protein is a mix of casein and whey)
Low fat for quick aborption

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Meh.

I guess if you're looking to bulk up in a minimum amount of time, then "post workout protein shakes" and all that jazz is what you want, but that sounds like BroScience to me.

I'd much rather follow a highly sustainable lifestyle that I can easily continue forever. I just can't see myself doing going to a gym to do some heavy lifting and following it up with a protein shake when I'm 50+.

Whatever works, though, I suppose.

Dinner.

140f1qs.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had about 8 oz of grass fed chuck steak, a nice sized glass of cabernet, and now, after an hour or so of running around outside barefooted with my dog, am enjoying a bowl of chilled blueberries and heavy cream!

Zefah said:
Meh.

I guess if you're looking to bulk up in a minimum amount of time, then "post workout protein shakes" and all that jazz is what you want, but that sounds like BroScience to me.

I'd much rather follow a highly sustainable lifestyle that I can easily continue forever. I just can't see myself doing going to a gym to do some heavy lifting and following it up with a protein shake when I'm 50+.

Whatever works, though, I suppose.

Not sure what you are getting at with the "bulk up in a minimum amount of time".
I lift heavy weights, and I enjoy doing it - why would I have a counter productive post workout shake afterwards?

I also don't see why lifting iron and making a post workout adjustment is something I can't continue... well... at least for a while. I'm 38, do I check into a elderly home in 12 years?

NomarTyme

DragonKnight said:
Is this a bad thing? In any case I'm gonna start limiting my fat intake
Yeah you usually want to reduces your omega six intake. Stuff like peanut butter and almonds are high in omega six, so you wanna want to find some thing to eat besides nuts. Coconut is a good choice, so its to you if you want to drop the stuff though.

NomarTyme said:
Yeah you usually want to reduces your omega six intake. Stuff like peanut butter and almonds are high in omega six, so you wanna want to find some thing to eat besides nuts. Coconut is a good choice, so its to you if you want to drop the stuff though.

So just stick to the flax and fish oil pills?

NomarTyme

DragonKnight said:
So just stick to the flax and fish oil pills?
I would personally eat real fish and drop the flax. If you want fiber I would eat yams/sweet potatoes and some magnesium glycinate. It all up to you though! lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ipukespiders said:
Not sure what you are getting at with the "bulk up in a minimum amount of time".
I lift heavy weights, and I enjoy doing it - why would I have a counter productive post workout shake afterwards?

I also don't see why lifting iron and making a post workout adjustment is something I can't continue... well... at least for a while. I'm 38, do I check into a elderly home in 12 years?

Not a problem at all, and didn't mean to offend. I just get a bit annoyed by the Fitness thread stuff that comes up in this thread fairly often. I worry that it might make some people think they need to invest in a bench, some barbells, and buckets of whey protein if they want to get in shape.

I guess I just prefer a simpler, more natural method, but obviously everyone is different.

And no, 50 isn't "old", in my opinion, but personally, I just don't see most people being interested in calculating their macronutrients and following a strict routine when they get to that age. I may be wrong, though.

Gary Whitta said:
Dinner.

http://i54.tinypic.com/140f1qs.png[IMG][/QUOTE]My brother would love that for sure. I find it disgusting, though. That much pink revs my imagination in all the wrong and disturbing ways possible. If I see [I]any[/I] pink in any red meat I eat, I immediately feel like throwing up from the image I get; but if I see it in pics, it's just D: x100.

I prefer the leaner stuff and it must be well-done. All my red meat has to be.

Chicken FTW :P

[QUOTE=smurfx]i definitely like my meat well done.[/QUOTE]I'm not alone!

I brought some Fitness stuff into this thread so apologies if that annoyed anyone. I've just been trying to find the best exercise regimen to compliment my diet and generally improve health, but the actual Fitness thread is way too hardcore.

That prime rib photo made the meat look much more red and bloody than it really was, BTW. I ordered medium rare and that's what it was, just pink and juicy enough to be exactly how I like it.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Gary Whitta said:
I brought some Fitness stuff into this thread so apologies if that annoyed anyone. I've just been trying to find the best exercise regimen to compliment my diet and generally improve health, but the actual Fitness thread is way too hardcore.

That prime rib photo made the meat look much more red and bloody than it really was, BTW. I ordered medium rare and that's what it was, just pink and juicy enough to be exactly how I like it.
Gah, I need to hop down to SF one of these weekends. I miss House of Prime Rib.

Zefah said:
Not a problem at all, and didn't mean to offend. I just get a bit annoyed by the Fitness thread stuff that comes up in this thread fairly often. I worry that it might make some people think they need to invest in a bench, some barbells, and buckets of whey protein if they want to get in shape.

I guess I just prefer a simpler, more natural method, but obviously everyone is different.

And no, 50 isn't "old", in my opinion, but personally, I just don't see most people being interested in calculating their macronutrients and following a strict routine when they get to that age. I may be wrong, though.

Fair enough, and definitely not offended.

And it's really pretty easy. After workout I have water, skim milk powder, scoop of whey - then add a scoop of oats and scoop of frozen berries. Blenderize it. It just becomes a thing you do after your workout, and you don't even give it a second thought.

After that its business (high fat / low carb) as usual.

Granted, I'm always on the lookout for the best ways to get the most from my fitness and nutrition, so this routine could change in the future.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:
Pizza again....Somebody has to finish it, right? I'm still well within my carb allowance for the day though

While the total number of carbs consumed is important, where those carbs come from is probably more important.

Zefah said:
While the total number of carbs consumed is important, where those carbs come from is probably more important.

Yeah I know but I can't just let it go to waste. I'm the only one in my household who really eats.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Zefah said:
Yes, it will reach your body's pizza detector after entering your stomach. Your body will detect that this is a carb from pizza, not an apple, and punish you by gaining weight.

noire said:
Grabbed a bag of muscle milk vanilla whey powder from Costco today. Not working out, just looking for a way to increase the amount of protein I get daily since I've been averaging around 70% fat.

Cottage cheese is good too

dejay

Banned
Another nice benefit I've discovered since going VLC - I've probably farted twice since switching over a week ago. I used to fart all the time. I guess the fruits and starches aren't fermenting in my gastrointestinal tract any more.

I'm also still very regular, although I do still eat a fair amount of fibre.

Gary Whitta said:

Well, this is a weight loss thread and not strictly a diet thread, so exercise and fitness totally has a place in here.

I've got a chin up bar in my garage and I can do a whole three chin ups. I'm also doing assisted pull ups, handstand push ups (if that's the right word) and some ab work on a gym ball I happened to have. I'll stick with body weight resistance exercises for the most part.

My newly acquired elliptical rider gives my legs a decent workout and I can see and feel increased muscle mass in my thighs and calves, so I'm not worrying about doing any squats or lunges, as I'm progressively setting the resistance on the elliptical to harder settings - it's like I'm climbing up hill all the time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K2Valor said:
Yes, it will reach your body's pizza detector after entering your stomach. Your body will detect that this is a carb from pizza, not an apple, and punish you by gaining weight.

Because that's what I'm saying, right? The carbs in pizza consist mostly of refined flour from the dough and sugar from the tomato sauce. Both digest extremely quickly and cause your blood sugar to surge.

Have you ever actually looked into this stuff? You're always in here (and other related threads) making snide comments about how you love carbs, but you sound horribly uninformed if you're serious about the comment you just made.

Zefah said:
Because that's what I'm saying, right? The carbs in pizza consist mostly of refined flour from the dough and sugar from the tomato sauce. Both digest extremely quickly and cause your blood sugar to surge.

Have you ever actually looked into this stuff? You're always in here (and other related threads) making snide comments about how you love carbs, but you sound horribly uninformed if you're serious about the comment you just made.

I'm sure he was joking pulling your leg...right? But yeah...it was only a one time deal. I haven't had pizza in like two months if that. Last minute friday meal ya know?

dLMN8R

dejay said:
My newly acquired elliptical rider gives my legs a decent workout and I can see and feel increased muscle mass in my thighs and calves, so I'm not worrying about doing any squats or lunges, as I'm progressively setting the resistance on the elliptical to harder settings - it's like I'm climbing up hill all the time.
They're completely different muscle groups though. I still use the elliptical when I want a cardio workout and running isn't doing it for me for whatever reason, to the point where I basically max out the machine at the gym at just barely break a sweat. Squats, lunges, and other leg workouts aren't at all the same thing.

Besides, your body is most effective at burning fat when you're constantly confusing it by adding new things into your routine.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Zefah said:

Refined carbs will come with less nutrients but in the end they are just a carbohydrate. Someone can eat pizza on a diet. Am I saying just eat pizza? No. But I'm saying there's nothing wrong with it if it is properly managed in the context of his/her diet.

Not going to dive into the insulin argument.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K2Valor said:
Refined carbs will come with less nutrients but in the end they are just a carbohydrate. Someone can eat pizza on a diet. Am I saying just eat pizza? No. But I'm saying there's nothing wrong with it if it is properly managed in the context of his/her diet.

Not going to dive into the insulin argument.

"The insulin argument"?

How could you not dive into the insulin argument if you are trying to talk about easily digestible carbs compared to those that are not easily digestible?

dejay

Banned
dLMN8R said:
They're completely different muscle groups though. I still use the elliptical when I want a cardio workout and running isn't doing it for me for whatever reason, to the point where I basically max out the machine at the gym at just barely break a sweat. Squats, lunges, and other leg workouts aren't at all the same thing.

Besides, your body is most effective at burning fat when you're constantly confusing it by adding new things into your routine.

I understand the exercise confusion principal and I agree with it 100%. Saying that, I don't want to spend too much mental energy on this stuff and I don't want to optimize my workouts to 10 decimal places. I just want to get to and stay in a reasonable condition. I feel I can do that with a loose regime of cardio (elliptical, walking, hiking and maybe a bit of skip rope) and three or four sets each of various upper/mid body exercises.

I did the whole weight training, cardio thing ten years ago and I got good results fairly quickly by doing my research, eating the right things after a workout, spreading my protein and calorie intake into the optimal parts of the day. I also got bored with it because I wasn't enjoying my hours spent at the gym.

Sethos

Banned
By the way, thanks to however suggested you should put Bacon in the oven instead, best thing that has happened to my Bacon career in years. It's so good!

uIvsel.png

( Don't mock my tin foil trays )

Facism

Gold Member
lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks :D. My weightloss stalled something proper months ago and I got diagnosed with Iron deficiency Anemia. Since i've been on the Iron supplements my weight has started to drop again :) I have a giant appetite, though. 3 gym sessions and 2 football matches a week, plus a physical job. Thinking of 4 small meals a day instead of 3 normal meals.

Jintor

Gary Whitta said:

Medium rare man! High five!

Ripclawe

Banned
Someone suggested shirataki noodles to me as a good weight loss food to mix with meat or chicken? Anyone had it before and how easy to prepare?

ep85

I like making asian style noodle dishes with it. Stirfry some veggies and your choice of meat then throw in the noodles. As for sauce I just use soy sauce and garlic-chili paste.

The texture on the tofu-shirataki noodles are more noodle-like then the straight-up shirataki noodles but both are extremely tasty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:
By the way, thanks to however suggested you should put Bacon in the oven instead, best thing that has happened to my Bacon career in years. It's so good!

uIvsel.png

( Don't mock my tin foil trays )

Yup! I've been baking bacon by the pound and just reheating it for breakfast. Honestly, it tastes quite a bit better than pan frying it.

Top Bottom