• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

SUPARSTARX

Have any of you guys tried intermittent fasting? leangains dot com

I've been on it since late June. Dropped about 14lbs so far. Got no real before pics to compare to, will post some in about 2-3 months after I'm done with some cutting for the remainder of this year.

Ripclawe

Banned
Been eating white egg on whole wheat with kraft sandwich spread and mozzarella sprinkled over it and have lost 70 pounds on it. At little Mozz can't hurt.

Toki767

Ripclawe said:
Been eating white egg on whole wheat with kraft sandwich spread and mozzarella sprinkled over it and have lost 70 pounds on it. At little Mozz can't hurt.
I love eating egg white. I've been wondering about how much whole wheat bread is good to eat for a low-carb diet. I feel like I shouldn't eat any at all for some reason and just stick to getting my carb fill from veggies.

SUPARSTARX

Bleh, I hate having to restrict what I eat. I've been eating whatever I like during feeding hours and I've still managed to drop weight every week.

I've been kind of on and off with wheat bread. Too much calories on a cut!

Sethos

Banned
Price Dalton said:
You only need a little omega-3, too. Going overboard can have bad consequences, considering the instability of all polyunsaturated fats.

Going overboard in anything can be bad. I meant you can eat a whole lot more Omega 3 than 6, the ratio is bigger.

Didn't mean you should be jumping into a tub with the stuff and suck it all up.

anyone here done the HCG thing? have several friends doing it right now with huge results (25-30 lbs 1st month, 15-20 lbs a month after that), all of them are doing the shot method via doctor's office, the actual diet itself sounds reasonable enough

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
SUPARSTARX said:
What kind of a diet are you taking on?

She's fine with losing weight, I'm kind of thin anyway but not exactly trying to bulk up or anything, just thought it would be interesting to see how we feel with a more low carb diet (trying to keep it around 100g a day or so), using lots of animal fats/meat, cutting back on sugars and non-olive/coconut oils, refined flours and grains.

I guess peas seem kind of high-sugar, so maybe we'll just do more green beans/cabbage/mushrooms/lettuce instead.

Sethos

Banned
So let's say I'm having a real hard time eating vegetables and stuff like broccoli makes me want to puke. Let's say I bought a bag of frozen vegetables and blended them lightly and heated it up to a kind of thick soup. I know nutrients might be lost due to oxidation and heating but is it still advisable? Right now it's the only way I can get any vegetables down but no point in making a meal out of it often if it serves no purpose and all the healthy stuff is lost.

Any experience with that?

dejay

Banned
Sethos said:
So let's say I'm having a real hard time eating vegetables and stuff like broccoli makes me want to puke. Let's say I bought a bag of frozen vegetables and blended them lightly and heated it up to a kind of thick soup. I know nutrients might be lost due to oxidation and heating but is it still advisable? Right now it's the only way I can get any vegetables down but no point in making a meal out of it often if it serves no purpose and all the healthy stuff is lost.

Any experience with that?

Have you tried savory mince with vegetables? Basically a stir fry, but with minced beef. Throw in a chunk of vegies halfway through browning the meat - broccoli would take the longest, so give it a little more time. Cut the vegies up nice and small so you barely notice them. Add whatever spices to the meat as you're cooking.

omgkitty

Well I just found out I have been screwing myself. I guess I was never really paying attention to what was actually in the food I was eating. I was wondering why I hadn't really lost any weight in the last two weeks, and have found out why. I have been eating somewhere around 150g carbs a day instead of around 100. Part of this should have been dubiously obvious to me, but I didn't see it. I have been eating half my allotment in one meal with an apple and oatmeal. Now my question is, should I keep eating these? I know oatmeal is supposed to be very good for you and the apple has a decent amount of fiber, but on a low carb diet, it seems kind of stupid. What's everyone's thoughts? Does the nutritional value outweigh the carbs, or should I eat something else?

Sethos

Banned
omgkitty said:
Well I just found out I have been screwing myself. I guess I was never really paying attention to what was actually in the food I was eating. I was wondering why I hadn't really lost any weight in the last two weeks, and have found out why. I have been eating somewhere around 150g carbs a day instead of around 100. Part of this should have been dubiously obvious to me, but I didn't see it. I have been eating half my allotment in one meal with an apple and oatmeal. Now my question is, should I keep eating these? I know oatmeal is supposed to be very good for you and the apple has a decent amount of fiber, but on a low carb diet, it seems kind of stupid. What's everyone's thoughts? Does the nutritional value outweigh the carbs, or should I eat something else?

No. Oatmeal is terrible, Oats aren't good for you and it's basically a high-carb meal, useless. An Apple is alright but there's plenty of other stuff out there with fiber. Either you buy some fiber supplement which is usually 3-4g per glass ( Got some power that turns into nasty drink ) or perhaps add some pure fig bars to your meal. I have some fig bars, they are 16g of carbs per bar, so fairly high but still well below the limit and they also contain a bit over 3g of fiber per unit.

All your fibers you should be getting from vegetables if you can, do some research on high fiber / low carb vegetables.

dejay said:
Have you tried savory mince with vegetables? Basically a stir fry, but with minced beef. Throw in a chunk of vegies halfway through browning the meat - broccoli would take the longest, so give it a little more time. Cut the vegies up nice and small so you barely notice them. Add whatever spices to the meat as you're cooking.

Good idea, still, broccoli even in its tinniest form can ruin a taste experience and the texture of it, god.

omgkitty

Sethos said:
No. Oatmeal is terrible, Oats aren't good for you and it's basically a high-carb meal, useless. An Apple is alright but there's plenty of other stuff out there with fiber. Either you buy some fiber supplement which is usually 3-4g per glass ( Got some power that turns into nasty drink ) or perhaps add some pure fig bars to your meal. I have some fig bars, they are 16g of carbs per bar, so fairly high but still well below the limit and they also contain a bit over 3g of fiber per unit.

All your fibers you should be getting from vegetables if you can, do some research on high fiber / low carb vegetables.

Well it seems like if I am going to eat a fig bar, I could just eat a fiber one bar, which is a round 17g of carbs, but has more fiber that 3g.

Sethos

Banned
omgkitty said:
Well it seems like if I am going to eat a fig bar, I could just eat a fiber one bar, which is a round 17g of carbs, but has more fiber that 3g.

Yeah, should work as well. I just like a good fig bar so that's where I get a bit of fiber :)

Obviously I'm also using Danish brands for reference, there's like a million brands in different sizes with different contents. So just read those labels and make sure.

Sethos said:
Going overboard in anything can be bad. I meant you can eat a whole lot more Omega 3 than 6, the ratio is bigger.

Didn't mean you should be jumping into a tub with the stuff and suck it all up.

I'm not sure I get your meaning. I would definitely not advise eating a whole lot more omega-3, because of its inherent instability, unless you're trying to recover from an injury and need the immediate anti-inflammatory effect. A good omega-6:eek:mega-3 ratio is 2:1.

Massive omega-3 doses can be therapeutic, but that's only in the short term. Long term, they become problematic, and some studies show that LDL particles that contain omega-3 are easily oxidized. Oxidized LDL is the stuff you want to watch out for.

Cooking blended veggies into a soup is a great way to eat 'em. Nutrients from cooked veggies are generally more bioavailable than from raw veggies.

SUPARSTARX

lobdale said:
She's fine with losing weight, I'm kind of thin anyway but not exactly trying to bulk up or anything, just thought it would be interesting to see how we feel with a more low carb diet (trying to keep it around 100g a day or so), using lots of animal fats/meat, cutting back on sugars and non-olive/coconut oils, refined flours and grains.

I guess peas seem kind of high-sugar, so maybe we'll just do more green beans/cabbage/mushrooms/lettuce instead.
Don't mistake good sugar for bad sugar.

In the end, calories in vs calorie counts the most.

How much you eat matters more than what you eat really.

I've had weekends where I'd chow down about 2 or 3 Big Mac's from Mcdonald's back to back and I still ended up lighter 2 weeks later.

Sethos

Banned
forgeforsaken said:
You have any studies showing this, because everything I see from studies has shown the opposite.

I'm talking from a low-carb diet standpoint, which he's following. Oats are just filled with carbs and should be avoided at all cost in a low-carb diet.

Breakfast this morning was smoked lox salmon from the farmer's market, three pastured eggs and some cream cheese. SUPER tasty, although probably a little pricey to have more than once or twice a week. Definitely breaks up the standard breakfast meats routine though!

omgkitty

Just cracked open a 5 pound tub of cottage cheese (YES 5 POUNDS!!!). My dad picked it up at Sams and I figured I'd better start eating it because it expires in a few weeks. A little watery than I like though....don't really have a choice not to eat it. I guess I will stop eating oatmeal now. I really need to find something to eat for breakfast and lunch. I get up way too late to eat before work, and don't want to make something there. Don't have very much time at lunch so I was eating oatmeal...definitely need to figure something out that's easy and quick for both. Any ideas?

omgkitty said:
Just cracked open a 5 pound tub of cottage cheese (YES 5 POUNDS!!!). My dad picked it up at Sams and I figured I'd better start eating it because it expires in a few weeks. A little watery than I like though....don't really have a choice not to eat it. I guess I will stop eating oatmeal now. I really need to find something to eat for breakfast and lunch. I get up way too late to eat before work, and don't want to make something there. Don't have very much time at lunch so I was eating oatmeal...definitely need to figure something out that's easy and quick for both. Any ideas?
If you can afford it, a little smoked salmon and a couple of pre-made hard boiled eggs. That's my new thing!

Sethos

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Breakfast this morning was smoked lox salmon from the farmer's market, three pastured eggs and some cream cheese. SUPER tasty, although probably a little pricey to have more than once or twice a week. Definitely breaks up the standard breakfast meats routine though!

Fish for breakfast? My stomach just couldn't do that - Kudos sir :p

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I've lost about 35 lbs in the last few months... just eating less, more nutritious, and exercising more.

I'll post pics in a few weeks, when I hit my target weight. My goal was to get into long distance running shape. It was a long way to go... could barely run a mile when I started.

Anyway... just wanted to say it's possible to lose weight quickly, without being a no-carb zealot.

I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, and protein (most often protein shakes, but fish and other meat as well). And I exercise every day -- mostly calisthenics. I feel very good... healthy, which was the entire point.

And I cheat a couple times every week. Though lately I find the desire to do this waning.

edit: I wish I would've thought to record my fat% in the beginning, because while I've lost 35 lbs, I've put on a decent amount of muscle. % would probably be a far better indicator of my progress than weight.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I changed my work breakfasts this week to 2 store bought hard boiled eggs and some cottage cheese. Was pretty good.

I am in Iowa so fish is expensive, but maybe I can find some good smoked salmon for a decent price.

Sethos

Banned
Evolved1 said:
Anyway... just wanted to say it's possible to lose weight quickly, without being a no-carb zealot.

Nobody has said otherwise. Good olé exercise and healthy eating is the bog standard weight loss method.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
forgeforsaken said:
You have any studies showing this, because everything I see from studies has shown the opposite.

Search for "whole grain anti nutrient". The only thing good about grains is that they can be mass produced for little cost and are almost certainly necessary to support a population of 7+ billion people.

From a health perspective, though, they are not good at all.

Wow I'm glad I didn't jump straight into P90X, Tony Horton's "introductory" Power 90 just kicked my ass! Also, Tony gives excellent advice:

ztspbt.png

omgkitty

Gary Whitta said:
Wow I'm glad I didn't jump straight into P90X, Tony Horton's "introductory" Power 90 just kicked my ass! Also, Tony gives excellent advice:

ztspbt.png

HAHA does that actually say "Don't grab cheeseburger"? In all honesty, do grab cheeseburger, take the bun off, add some bacon and mayo and dig in!

Sethos

Banned
I can't wait to reach the point where there's just a bit of excess fat left, then I can finally start slowly upping the calories and then go on a full workout, getting some muscle going.

I'm craving a deep pan pizza and chocolate cake. ( I know that's not the kinda carbs you'd want but fuck me it's still a massive craving and I WILL be digging in when I get the chance :p )

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone taking supplements have a strange reaction to vitamin D3?

A couple of days ago I just started supplementing and took two pills constituting 6000 IU worth of vitamin D3. Within an hour or so I started feeling tired, and continued to be a bit lethargic for the rest of the day. I figured I maybe took too much too soon, so I decreased my load to 2000 IU, but still felt a bit tired in the afternoon. I decreased it to 1000 IU yesterday, and I think I felt kind of tired. Today I'm going with zero vitamin D3 supplement to see how it goes, and as of 1pm I feel like I have more energy.

Isn't vitamin D3 supposed to have the opposite effect? Maybe I got some bad pills (although I did get bottles from two different brands).

FStop7

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
It's tasteless!

Good bufala has a very nice flavor and an awesome texture. It melts in your mouth.

This is like my 4th day of induction and I found I had a bit of a headache this morning, pretty typical of early Atkins. Went to In-n-out for lunch and had two protein style double doubles:

Two patties, two slices of cheese, wrapped in lettuce, topped with nothing but mustard. Divine and righteous.

NomarTyme said:
MEE TOO! You got to buy the good ones. I buy Mac brand! the shit brand drys your throat.
I got these really awesome ones from the farmers market, I'll be buying them every week!

Also got some WILD BOAR BURGERS from the farmers market for dinner tonight - I feel like Robert Baratheon!

Since I reached my goal I stared adding more carbs in my meals. I feel like they are the devil now though...

Edit: I'm very tempted to run to Wegmans and grab some Brownies. I get these cravings every now and then

Sethos said:
I can't wait to reach the point where there's just a bit of excess fat left, then I can finally start slowly upping the calories and then go on a full workout, getting some muscle going.

I'm craving a deep pan pizza and chocolate cake. ( I know that's not the kinda carbs you'd want but fuck me it's still a massive craving and I WILL be digging in when I get the chance :p )

Nothing wrong with indulging once in a while. To deny yourself stuff like pizza and cake for the rest of your life would be insane (and impossible).

dmshaposv

I know low-carb GAF approves of Almonds, and it is my go to dry fruit.

But I really have a weakness for salted cashews? but I'm guessing they aren't so low-carb friendly, eh?

Sethos

Banned
Got my bike yesterday minus pedals, received the pedals today and went for a spin. I thought I was fit for some casual biking by being on my exercise bike almost every day at high tension levels for over an hour but oh-no. Barely 15 minutes in I was dead like a fish on land, had to get home and have some quick carbs - I'll be biking to work, over 10km a day plus all the riding with friends, this is going to speed up my weight loss, damn :p

omgkitty

Sethos said:
Got my bike yesterday minus pedals, received the pedals today and went for a spin. I thought I was fit for some casual biking by being on my exercise bike almost every day at high tension levels for over an hour but oh-no. Barely 15 minutes in I was dead like a fish on land, had to get home and have some quick carbs - I'll be biking to work, over 10km a day plus all the riding with friends, this is going to speed up my weight loss, damn :p

That's the worst when you go to do something and you keep thinking how in shape you are and how easy it will be and then you get your ass handed to you. Terrible feeling, but you're on the right path!

Top Bottom