• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Made some oven-baked bacon today and it was great! I don't have the time to make it like that every morning so I think I might just make one big batch and reheat it each morning.

parrotbeak said:
What's the temp and time on that?
I did mine at 400 for about 15m. I guess you can vary it based on how crispy you want it. My bacon was really thick-cut so at 15m it wasn't that crispy, which is how I like it.

harSon

Banned
Found out I've been sabotaging my low-carb diet a bit. I've been using Nature Sweet Cherub Tomatoes in my salad daily, thinking they'd be similar in carbs to cherry/grape tomatoes. Nope, those motherfuckers are 7 carbs an ounce. I've been using at least 2-3 servings a day :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I throw the pan in a cold oven, turn it up to 400 F and then come back to check on it in about 25 minutes. It's usually a little crispy by this point with thick cut bacon. My oven kind of sucks, though, and takes forever to heat up.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
For anyone craving biscuits or buns but would rather not shell out for that Carbquik mix, buy cream cheese. A recipe I came across (apparently known as "Oopsies" on some low carb-centric sites) this morning while fantasizing about biscuits and gravy turned out incredibly well and is very simple to scale depending on how many or few you want to make.

- 1 egg for every 1oz of cream cheese (i.e. a large batch would be, say, 5 eggs and 5oz cream cheese)
- 1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar or baking powder for every 2 eggs

That's literally all you need. Separate the whites and yolks, sprinkle in a tiny bit of tartar/baking powder to the whites and mix to stiff peaks, and blend the yolks and cream cheese together until smooth. Fold the whites into the yolks, place dollops of the batter onto a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes at 325f. The end result is soft and fluffy, and has a taste and texture that's not too far from brioche (which makes sense, as that's a bread very heavy in egg and fats).

You can add a couple splashes of water initially to the whites if you want a thinner batter that will turn out more like a flatbread, or an extra pinch of tartar/powder for a thicker, more substantial feeling biscuit. Just adjust the baking time by a few minutes +/- depending on the density of your batter.

Cosmic Bus said:
For anyone craving biscuits or buns but would rather not shell out for that Carbquik mix, buy cream cheese. A recipe I came across (apparently known as "Oopsies" on some low carb-centric sites) this morning while fantasizing about biscuits and gravy turned out incredibly well and is very simple to scale depending on how many or few you want to make.

- 1 egg for every 1oz of cream cheese (i.e. a large batch would be, say, 5 eggs and 5oz cream cheese)
- 1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar or baking powder for every 2 eggs

That's literally all you need. Separate the whites and yolks, sprinkle in a tiny bit of tartar/baking powder to the whites and mix to stiff peaks, and blend the yolks and cream cheese together until smooth. Fold the whites into the yolks, place dollops of the batter onto a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes at 325f. The end result is soft and fluffy, and has a taste and texture that's not too far from brioche (which makes sense, as that's a bread very heavy in egg and fats).

You can add a couple splashes of water initially to the whites if you want a thinner batter that will turn out more like a flatbread, or an extra pinch of tartar/powder for a thicker, more substantial feeling biscuit. Just adjust the baking time by a few minutes +/- depending on the density of your batter.
Any pics? I'm trying to imagine what that would look like.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
BertramCooper said:
Any pics? I'm trying to imagine what that would look like.

They look pretty much like a normal biscuit. A couple pics that I googled:

CtRD5.jpg

G1R3p.jpg

You could use some small ring molds to make a thicker biscuit, or spread the batter out over some parchment paper to make a crust of sorts or to cut up into flatbread squares.

AntiTout

Gary Whitta said:
Made some oven-baked bacon today and it was great! I don't have the time to make it like that every morning so I think I might just make one big batch and reheat it each morning.
Are trying to lose some weight or something else? honest question.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AntiTout said:
Are trying to lose some weight or something else? honest question.

You're new to this thread, aren't you?

FStop7

Banned
How bad are the carbs in tomatoes and carrots when you're doing the induction phase of Atkins? I was kind of surprised to see they were carb rich. I thought they were zero. This is kind of a bummer to me because I could practically live off of nothing but tomatoes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FStop7 said:
How bad are the carbs in tomatoes and carrots when you're doing the induction phase of Atkins? I was kind of surprised to see that tomatoes were carb rich. I thought they were zero. This is kind of a bummer to me because I could practically live off of nothing but tomatoes.

If you don't like it, don't do Atkins. That diet seems to be the extreme end of low-carbing. You can still get plenty of results without completely cutting out carbs. You may lose weight a bit faster with zero carbs, but your health will be better off with some nutrient-rich vegetables in your diet.

FStop7 said:
How bad are the carbs in tomatoes and carrots when you're doing the induction phase of Atkins? I was kind of surprised to see they were carb rich. I thought they were zero. This is kind of a bummer to me because I could practically live off of nothing but tomatoes.
Induction is the equivalent to doing ketosis, which means you don't want really any carbs, so if you are doing a hardcore no/low carb push, cut them out.

Sethos

Banned
You can easily get in a state of ketosis at 50-70g of carbs a day, I did. You don't need to go completely carb-free.

I'll give you the same suggestion I give to my friends and colleagues who want to try the low-carb, don't do any of the variations of it, Atkins, South Beach etc. just research food items, see how many carb they contain and plan out daily meals that keep you under 100g a day and that should be the maximum - Don't aim for it, just let that be a restriction. A good average is 50. Staying at basically no carbs during the day is hell and makes the diet far from enjoyable imo.

And obviously stay away from truly unhealthy food, just because they are within carb limit, doesn't mean they are acceptable. By that I mean refined sugar and stuff like that. Get your carbs from vegetables and what else you have.

Sethos said:
You can easily get in a state of ketosis at 50-70g of carbs a day, I did. You don't need to go completely carb-free.
That's not true for everyone, and a bit high for most people from everything I've read about ketosis, but to each his own. The point is really that if you're going for ketosis for whatever reasons, you want to cut out carbs, so incorporating known carb "rich" foods (relative to other foods) is counterproductive.

Saw my parents for the first time in about a month and my dad brought it to my attention that my face looks thinner. Feels good.

Also, just wanted to mention that this thread kicks ass. For those of you who post here regularly with tips/pointers...you are my internet heros.

AntiTout

elrechazao said:
Psst--this is the weight loss thread :)

Naah, it can't be! ;)

Zefah said:
You're new to this thread, aren't you?

Yes I'm new here, but you can see how much weight I lost a few pages back.
Seeing people eating bacon and pizzas, I don't know...
Maybe I can get back and eat some delicious sandwiches this?
50252_235620630716_2651464_n.jpg

I really miss it.

AntiTout said:
Naah, it can't be! ;)

Yes I'm new here, but you can see how much weight I lost a few pages back.
Seeing people eating bacon and pizzas, I don't know...
Maybe I can get back and eat some delicious sandwiches this?
50252_235620630716_2651464_n.jpg

I really miss it.
The people eating pizza were doing it as a cheat and felt terrible remorse ;)

The bacon on the other hand is the ultimate health food.

AntiTout

elrechazao said:
The people eating pizza were doing it as a cheat and felt terrible remorse ;)

The bacon on the other hand is the ultimate health food.
I'm following the Dukan regime, what's yours elrechazao?

Sethos

Banned
elrechazao said:
That's not true for everyone, and a bit high for most people from everything I've read about ketosis, but to each his own. The point is really that if you're going for ketosis for whatever reasons, you want to cut out carbs, so incorporating known carb "rich" foods (relative to other foods) is counterproductive.

Most people don't seem to probe their ketosis levels. They just go cold-turkey, hit ketosis and stay there. I agree, not everyone will reach it at the same levels but you definitely don't need to go completely overboard. Easier to just limit yourself and then slowly take it down until you hit a day where stuff tastes like a rusty fender, you have a headache and your urine looks like a current-gen console game. Then you know sort of where you want to be. Makes for a more enjoyable diet if you actually have a small headroom for carbs.

That's what I've been told and been reading up on :)

Cosmic Bus said:

CtRD5.jpg

G1R3p.jpg

You could use some small ring molds to make a thicker biscuit, or spread the batter out over some parchment paper to make a crust of sorts or to cut up into flatbread squares.
Interesting.

I bet they'd be good with some garlic and herbs thrown in.

FStop7

Banned
I've actually done Atkins in the past (10 years or so ago) but somewhere along the line I missed that tomatoes and carrots had a decent amount of carbs. One of my favorite lunches is to have 3 or 4 big slices of tomato with a piece of buffalo mozzarella on top. Looks like I need to switch that to 2 slices and find something else to make up for it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been maintaining ketsosis on 40-50g of carbs a day so you should really try to find what you can get away with.
Vary up your diet per week until you find something that works maybe?

FStop7 said:
I've actually done Atkins in the past (10 years or so ago) but somewhere along the line I missed that tomatoes and carrots had a decent amount of carbs. One of my favorite lunches is to have 3 or 4 big slices of tomato with a piece of buffalo mozzarella on top. Looks like I need to switch that to 2 slices and find something else to make up for it.
My staple vegetables are fresh spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumbers and broccoli. All are very low-carb.

AntiTout

FStop7 said:
Fresh vegetables have good, eat some tomatoes and less carrots, eat as much as you want chicory and cucumber, ban mozzarella. Eat 0% fat cottage cheese (fromage blanc), that's what I do.
Then I eat breast's chicken and 5% tartare beef. hope it helps.
edit
BertramCooper said:
My staple vegetables are fresh spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumbers and broccoli. All are very low-carb.
These are good too, I really like broccoli!

acksman

Sethos said:
By the way, thanks to however suggested you should put Bacon in the oven instead, best thing that has happened to my Bacon career in years. It's so good!

( Don't mock my tin foil trays )

Thank you thank you! I actually do Applegate Uncured Turkey Bacon and pan frying just did not do anything since there is no grease. The oven worked perfect!

A medium sized tomato has 5 carbs. I eat one everyday.

What kind of cottage cheese can you guys buy in your area? My only options are fat free, 1%, or 2%... wish there was a fattier variety.

NomarTyme

ipukespiders said:
A medium sized tomato has 5 carbs. I eat one everyday.

What kind of cottage cheese can you guys buy in your area? My only options are fat free, 1%, or 2%... wish there was a fattier variety.
In Southern California I think markets like Henry's and Sprouts sell full fat versions.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Gary Whitta said:
What's the best fish oil pill I can take? Currently I'm taking GNC Triple Strength.

I take Carlson's Fish Oil which is in liquid form per teh_pwn's recommendation. 1 TB provides almost 4g of Omega 3 which is an excellent amount. You'd have to take like 15 pills to reach that amount. I just put 1 TB in a small glass, pour some water and drink it with my Vitamin D. You're going to hate the texture at first, but you'll get used to it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LF39RO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

harSon

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

http://i.imgur.com/CtRD5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G1R3p.jpg

I have some baking in the oven as we speak. I hope they come tasty enough, it would make my diet SO much easier if they did.

Ripclawe said:
Someone suggested shirataki noodles to me as a good weight loss food to mix with meat or chicken? Anyone had it before and how easy to prepare?

I just made a delicous Thai style dinner with the Hungry Girl flat shirataki noodles. I did learn a good lesson about the noodles to not make them so chewy. Rinse them well, pat dry, microwave for about a minute and then add then to your sauce, stir fry or whatever you're going to use them in.

For dinner tonight I made Chicken Peanut Noodles stir fry. Super easy and so tasty.

Boneless skinless breast sliced thin
Ginger and Garlic paste to taste
Garlic-chilli paste to taste
1 cup Kale cleaned off center stem and rough chopped
1 cup Broccoli
1 stalkGreen Onions
Skippy Natural Super Chunky or any unsweetened natural chunky peanut butter 1 tbsp per serving of chicken breast. Super chunky is best imo so that you get some nice peanut pieces in the mix. You could also add smooth peanut butter and then add rough chopped peanuts but watch your carbs.

Brown the chicken in a wok/pan, throw in the garlic, chile and ginger pastes. Then add the veggies and stir fry until the kale is limp. Throw in the noodles. Then add your peanut butter and mix it through. You could add soy sauce but I prefer to keep sodium down and I don't think the recipe needs it.

332 calories, 17 carbs, 6 grams of fiber and 46 grams of protein.

Sethos said:
Yes, body only needs very little Omega 6.

Omega 3 is the good stuff.

You only need a little omega-3, too. Going overboard can have bad consequences, considering the instability of all polyunsaturated fats.

AntiTout said:
I'm following the Dukan regime, what's yours elrechazao?
I can't say as how I have a regime really. When in fat loss mode, which for me has been about 4 months now and counting, I'm generally 25 or so carbs a day, very ketogenic. The few I get are from broccoli and spinach and some nuts.

i don't have pics or out, but i went to the doc's the other day and after checking my weight found out i lost 18 kilo's since Dec 2009! Woot :D

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Price Dalton said:
You only need a little omega-3, too. Going overboard can have bad consequences, considering the instability of all polyunsaturated fats.

Yeah. I need to get a fresh bottle, but I'm thinking I'm going to pick it up at a store considering UPS leaves stuff at my door and it's 106 in TX every day. Don't imagine the oil handles that much heat well, but who knows.

Despite this heat, this is a good time of year to buy new shorts for anyone going down a size. On clearance because somewhere in the nation it's supposed to be getting cooler in a month. Or so the rumors say.

McLovin

Messypandas said:
i don't have pics or out, but i went to the doc's the other day and after checking my weight found out i lost 18 kilo's since Dec 2009! Woot :D
Congrats! Thats like 40lbs right?

Miutsu said:
What's wrong with mozzarella?

Nothing, though, you should avoid a lot of cheese, simply because it doesn't provide a lot of anything and can bind you up.
Still, it's good protein and calcium.

ch0mp

AceBandage said:
Nothing, though, you should avoid a lot of cheese, simply because it doesn't provide a lot of anything and can bind you up.
Still, it's good protein and calcium.
Doubt it.

Top Bottom