• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Eric WK said:
Yes, absolutely. If you use ketchup, you might want to avoid it. A lot of carbs you wouldn't expect. You can buy reduced sugar ketchup for home use, though.
Well, alrighty. I guess I'm on my way to wendy's then.

There are a few sit down restaurants here but they take too long. I have a 30 min break so it's really only fastfood as an option. I will probably start bringing my lunch, but on the days I can't, it's good to know I can do that.

It can't possibly be good to eat a burger with no bun from a place like wendy's like 3-5 times a week, can it?

SnakeSlashRO said:
Protien shakes work wonders!!! Zero Carb ISOPRUE ALL DAY LONG!

I've seen a few people online that are saying that Zero Carb IsoPure actually has some hidden sugars and slows down weight loss. I'd love to get some protein shakes in after workout, so isoPure seems like a good idea but I'm concerned I'll end slowing down any weight loss I have by using them.

Have you noticed any slow down or are you still in ketosis even using those shakes?

Also, do you have any flavors you'd recommend?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just go with Optimum Nutrition. Their chocolate flavors are excellent for casein since they use actual cocoa. I'm sure the same would apply to their whey variants.

As for ketchup, I'd say avoid it because of the HFCS more so than the carbs.

Domino Theory said:
Just go with Optimum Nutrition. Their chocolate flavors are excellent for casein since they use actual cocoa. I'm sure the same would apply to their whey variants.

As for ketchup, I'd say avoid it because of the HFCS more so than the carbs.
Is it low carb? I'm thinking 2 a day because I'll be lifting and doing cardio. I want to be as serious as I can about all this. Low carb seems to be the easiest way to adjust my lifestyle and stick with it.

And I'm avoiding ketchup.

LosDaddie said:
Again, it's perfectly fine to have a Cheat Day once a week. It gives you something to look forward to, meal-wise, and prevents one from "cracking" like you say. As long as you limit it to one day, you'll be fine.

Don't worry.

I used to have a full cheat day when I was on Body For Life, but now that I'm doing Paleo/Primal eating, I find that it completely throws me off. I know that it works to keep you going psychologically (gives you a reward for being good, satisfies sweet cravings, etc), but I end up gaining a few pounds that don't seem to come off easily. Tim Ferriss also recommended a cheat day on his Slow Carb diet. I think, perhaps, it's better for me to just eat something bad every once in a while, or to maybe limit cheating days to once every other week. I will probably go with the former, since that was what was working for me in the first few months of low-carb eating.

Dash27

Bealost said:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com

Lots of information that feels credible to me. I haven't checked his sources or anything, and have taken a lot of what hes said for granted because a lot of what he has said has been echoed on other sites I have read.

Tons of information. Interested to know people thoughts/reactions to any of it.

It's good info. Lyle is kind of a dick but his knowledge is very solid.

ch0mp

ZackieChan said:
I used to have a full cheat day when I was on Body For Life, but now that I'm doing Paleo/Primal eating, I find that it completely throws me off. I know that it works to keep you going psychologically (gives you a reward for being good, satisfies sweet cravings, etc), but I end up gaining a few pounds that don't seem to come off easily. Tim Ferriss also recommended a cheat day on his Slow Carb diet. I think, perhaps, it's better for me to just eat something bad every once in a while, or to maybe limit cheating days to once every other week. I will probably go with the former, since that was what was working for me in the first few months of low-carb eating.
Cheating never really worked for me. Cheat meal became cheat day, week, whatever. I found if I just got out of the food-as-reward mindset I do much better. Eating for fuel more so than 'pleasure' which is only in the moment.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
RoninChaos said:
Is it low carb? I'm thinking 2 a day because I'll be lifting and doing cardio. I want to be as serious as I can about all this. Low carb seems to be the easiest way to adjust my lifestyle and stick with it.

And I'm avoiding ketchup.

Yeah, they're low carb. One serving of casein from ON is only 2g carbs (from cocoa). I mix a tablespoon of Peanut Butter with it in a blender and it becomes a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup shake aka God's protein.

Don't overdo it with the cardio either. I don't get the sentiment many have about doing cardio a bunch of times a week, running marathons, and so on. All you're doing is burning muscle.

Mark Sisson from Mark's Daily Apple puts it nicely here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-moderate-exercise/

And here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/

ch0mp said:
Cheating never really worked for me. Cheat meal became cheat day, week, whatever. I found if I just got out of the food-as-reward mindset I do much better. Eating for fuel more so than 'pleasure' which is only in the moment.

I think I'm going to stop with the cheating days, and just allow the occasional slip-up. No more full days of debauchery. Primal goes with an 80/20 formula, but I think 90/10 is better for me. Gotta stay strong. Thinking of food as fuel is a good way to do it, I think.

Domino Theory said:
Yeah, they're low carb. One serving of casein from ON is only 2g carbs (from cocoa). I mix a tablespoon of Peanut Butter with it in a blender and it becomes a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup shake aka God's protein.

Don't overdo it with the cardio either. I don't get the sentiment many have about doing cardio a bunch of times a week, running marathons, and so on. All you're doing is burning muscle.

Mark Sisson from Mark's Daily Apple puts it nicely here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-moderate-exercise/

And here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/
I ordered some today and realized it was the whey version of what you said. Is that going to fuck me over? It has 3 carbs.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
RoninChaos said:
I ordered some today and realized it was the whey version of what you said. Is that going to fuck me over? It has 3 carbs.

Depends on your protein needs. Casein is slow-digesting so it's usually taken at the end of the night (or very end of your eating period before you fast if that's what you do) so the protein can be released slowly over time. Whey is fast acting (10g/hour on an EMPTY stomach).

RBK

Banned
It's so hard to eat right and diet when your mom constantly buys nothing but junk food for the rest of the kids. I made constant complaints and suggestions on letting me buy groceries for the house, but she says what I buy is too expensive. So I'm left with nothing but chips and shit loads of worthless juice.

Only thing somewhat OK to eat in the house is cereal, but that isn't fulfilling enough.

RoninChaos said:
I've seen a few people online that are saying that Zero Carb IsoPure actually has some hidden sugars and slows down weight loss. I'd love to get some protein shakes in after workout, so isoPure seems like a good idea but I'm concerned I'll end slowing down any weight loss I have by using them.

Have you noticed any slow down or are you still in ketosis even using those shakes?

Also, do you have any flavors you'd recommend?

Hell I have even been using muscle milk with 15carbs. But I don't have to much of that stuff... Isopure has never slowed me down while I was in keto. I have been in keto for about 3 weeks now.

Im working out pretty hard... I have been taking preworkout supplements and training hard. Not as much as if I was eating carbs but Im making crazy progress.

The page previous to this one has a picture of my progress.

Anyway Don't believe what anyone says about isopure being bad... even if it does have hidden sugars, its not enough to kick you out of keto. If you find something better then isopure please share.

Cmagus

Finally got around to making that cauliflower pizza tonight.Really good stuff tasted very cheesy.Getting the cauliflower shredded was a pain though lol but worth it.

ChiefEdiri said:
It's so hard to eat right and diet when your mom constantly buys nothing but junk food for the rest of the kids. I made constant complaints and suggestions on letting me buy groceries for the house, but she says what I buy is too expensive. So I'm left with nothing but chips and shit loads of worthless juice.

Only thing somewhat OK to eat in the house is cereal, but that isn't fulfilling enough.

Yes I know the feeling. And sometimes I feel bad not eating with them, so decide I should and eat more than I need.

Bealost

Learning to eat healthy when the meals your family prepares aren't healthy can be difficult. A few things I've started doing that helps.

PORTION CONTROL! My family are pasta addicts. Pasta at LEAST twice a week. I want to eat with my family but eating like that would kill me. Eat something healthier earlier in the day and eat a small bowl of whatever the family is eating with them. Still get to sit down to dinner with the family and its not nearly as bad as eating just pasta (in my situation).

Buy some frozen broccoli. It can be prepared in about 10 minutes and can be a great side to replace some of the unhealthier sides typically made with dinners (potatoes of all sorts, rice, noodles and the like.) Also, getting your family to eat some of it is a great perc as well. If you don't like broccoli there are plenty of other frozen veggies that can be prepared quickly and easily.

THis whey protein with water doesn't taste too great, but okay. Can I use skim milk? I'm going to be doing a shake in the morning and at night. Maybe unsweetened soy milk? ANything that doesn't have the texture of water.

Xelinis

Started incorporating Intermittent Fasting into my low-carb regimen a couple of weeks ago. This was after a couple of months of stalled weight loss. Today, that gut of mine is finally gone!

dralla

this stuff is great if you want more fiber/protein

41pkZ9k8JDL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

30 calories, 5g fiber, 5g protein and only 1 net carb. tastes great, i drink them after some cardio or with snacks, they will stave off hunger for a little bit between meals as well.

RoninChaos said:
THis whey protein with water doesn't taste too great, but okay. Can I use skim milk? I'm going to be doing a shake in the morning and at night. Maybe unsweetened soy milk? ANything that doesn't have the texture of water.

You should be able to. Milk adds even more protein! I never take my shakes with water.

Bealost said:
Buy some frozen broccoli. It can be prepared in about 10 minutes and can be a great side to replace some of the unhealthier sides typically made with dinners (potatoes of all sorts, rice, noodles and the like.) Also, getting your family to eat some of it is a great perc as well. If you don't like broccoli there are plenty of other frozen veggies that can be prepared quickly and easily.

Why does it take 10 minutes to prepare frozen broccoli? Might as well buy the real thing, which still takes less time than that.

Xelinis said:
Started incorporating Intermittent Fasting into my low-carb regimen a couple of weeks ago. This was after a couple of months of stalled weight loss. Today, that gut of mine is finally gone!

What exactly is your IF routine? I would like to try it out to break my stalled weight loss, in addition to eliminating cheating days.

Does anyone know if those Keto strips are useful when doing Primal? Am I still technically going for Ketosis?

Xelinis

ZackieChan said:
What exactly is your IF routine? I would like to try it out to break my stalled weight loss, in addition to eliminating cheating days.

Right now, I'm following a form of it called the Warrior Diet, where it's basically 20 hours of fasting (with maybe a tiny amount of fruit and veggies) and 4 hours of eating. It's a little extreme, but I've lost a lot of that lingering fat and have retained all muscle so far. I should also add that I sip BCAAs throughout the day.

On my weekly cheat days, I just do whatever. I'm still lifting heavy so that glycogen is more than welcome.

Log4Girlz

I'm still playing around with what to eat. I've lost 7 lbs, but I think I could do much better. I bought the ketosis sticks. I hope I don't fail my diet :(

Bealost

Frozen is just so convenient! buy it, stick it in the freezer and its good almost forever. Most of that time is used to boil water. I'm not sure that would count as prep time.

Warrior_Keoni said:
You should be able to. Milk adds even more protein! I never take my shakes with water.
I just read that 8oz of skim milk is about 14g of carbs. So with the protien I'm looking at like 25g-30g of carbs off of one shake. Hrm.

Ran 8.5 miles this morning non-stop - a new personal best. Kinda bummed, though. I thought for sure I had broken 10. I need to get a GPS wristwatch so I can better track my distance.

Bealost said:
Frozen is just so convenient! buy it, stick it in the freezer and its good almost forever. Most of that time is used to boil water. I'm not sure that would count as prep time.
You can just microwave them in less than two minutes! I mainly eat frozen peas with butter, salt, and pepper. Delicious.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
RoninChaos said:
Do any of you guys take metamucil or anything like that while you're on low carb?

It's a good idea if you're not eating high fiber foods that day (and while you should be, but realistically that might not always be the case).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, I've never posted pics here and I really haven't weighed myself since doing Couch to 5K, but I wanted to post two pics that are 3 months apart to see if you guys see a difference. I think I look a bit better but I want to know I'm not making it up. :p

Before (kind of...this is early June)
254277_10100126628746940_16908535_47100184_2395999_n.jpg

After (today, October)
294169_10100283555948570_16908535_48230451_164502999_n.jpg

Do I look any better?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ha! Sorry about the effects. The lighting was a bit yellow so I just changed them to black and white and am using the newest one on Facebook.

Thanks for the comments though, it's always hard for me to tell how it is going. I really should get a scale.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
_Isaac said:

All the ways that come with getting in shape. Not out of breath as often, more energy, etc.

I started P90x for my second go-through (did the first a year ago) and after doing couch to 5k the more aerobic workouts were a lot better and not nearly as taxing as I remember.

I signed up for a six month membership at the gym back in March '09 with the intention of getting fit for the summer. At the end of my membership I took a pic of my "progress," it wasn't too hot but I signed up for another year's membership and at the end of that run took another pic and at the end of that run I took another. September '09, '10 and '11 from left to right. I always take these when I wake up first thing in the morning, so I'm not looking my best. =P

I think I was better off a year ago, I was also pushing more weight back then to boot. Kind of discouraging but I had a good day at the gym today and I bought some new protein and I'm signed up for another year so... expect another update in a year.

6178670600_ebbbc50ab2_b.jpg

dejay

Banned
I was making a heap of chicken schnitzel caesar salad yesterday for a family get together. As I'm not ultra-low carb, the little bit of flour and breadcrumbs I ingested didn't bother me (plus I drank a shit load of beer).

However, in support of my ultra-low carb brothers, I thought I'd try some flax seed meal instead of breadcrumbs on some of the pieces I had left over.

Schnitzel before cooking - dipped in flour, then egg yolk, then the crumb mix of flax seed meal, grated parmesan, grated lemon zest and chopped flat parsley.
vzE7b.jpg

Here are the results - low carb on the left, compared with my traditional recipie, which had bread crumbs and corn flake crumbs instead of the flax seed meal.
ChsW7.jpg

As you can see, you lose some of the lovely golden colour but it still tastes pretty good. There's still a tiny bit of flour, and frankly you could eat the whole kilo and a half of chicken I made and still be under a handfull of grams of carbs, but I'm sure there are other things you could use. You could do it without flour but I don't think the crumbs would stick as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
On to week 2 of P90x, and if my arms don't die again from the Monday workout I'll get all 5 workouts in instead of just 4. (I have altered the regular program a bit to be just M thru F).

Deadly Cyclone said:
On to week 2 of P90x, and if my arms don't die again from the Monday workout I'll get all 5 workouts in instead of just 4. (I have altered the regular program a bit to be just M thru F).
:O This week will be my second week! :3 *high five*

Top Bottom