• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Darren870

Dr. Feel Good said:
Trying to adjust my eating a little bit how does this look...

Breakfast:
- Nothing

Lunch:
- Low carb wrap w/ sandwich meat, half a slice of cheese, and lettuce (meat rotates between sliced chicken, turkey, ham, and salami sandwich meat)
- Baby carrots
- Greek Yogurt (~20g of carbohydrates and sugar but 15g of protein)
- String Cheese
- Diet Soda (sorry, but I just can't lose this...)

Dinner:
- Meat (either a chicken breast or slab of steak)
- Cottage Cheese
- Vegetable (steamed broccoli/sliced cucumbers/dinner salad)
- Skim Milk

Before bed (and this isn't something I eat every night)
- Rotate between frozen yogurt w/ peanut butter, celery w/ peanut butter, or a small bowl of roasted peanuts.

And then I try to do about 45 minutes of cardio with 20 minutes of weights 3x a week. Does this look good to you guys? Any advice on where to lose something? I'd also really like to add some fruit in too but not sure what to replace...

Umm...Why no breakfast?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dr. Feel Good said:

Breakfast:
- Nothing

Lunch:
- Low carb wrap w/ sandwich meat, half a slice of cheese, and lettuce (meat rotates between sliced chicken, turkey, ham, and salami sandwich meat)
- Baby carrots
- String Cheese

Dinner:
- Cottage Cheese
- Skim Milk

- Rotate between frozen yogurt w/ peanut butter, celery w/ peanut butter, or a small bowl of roasted peanuts.

And then I try to do about 45 minutes of cardio with 20 minutes of weights 3x a week. Does this look good to you guys? Any advice on where to lose something? I'd also really like to add some fruit in too but not sure what to replace...

Props to you if you can tolerate Cottage Cheese. That shit is Satan's protein.

For diet soda, replace it with sparkling water and/or Zevia from Whole Foods (I think Zevia would work better for you).

Darren870 said:
Umm...Why no breakfast?
You don't need breakfast so if it works for him (and me), why not?

Darren870 said:
Umm...Why no breakfast?

Not hungry for it, plus I'd rather sleep the extra 15 min in the morning than make something.. although I suppose if it really had some beneficial to it, I would be willing to rotate a fruit in (plum/apple/pear), but that's it.

Domino Theory said:
Props to you if you can tolerate Cottage Cheese. That shit is Satan's protein.

For diet soda, replace it with sparkling water and/or Zevia from Whole Foods (I think Zevia would work better for you).

I typically mix the cottage cheese with the vegetables and it makes it more bearable. It's really the only way I can tolerate a full serving.

As for the diet pop, I just need it for caffeine.. maybe I can slowly try and drink less, but it's tough.

Bealost

ou don't need breakfast? Who says? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Today 08:02 PM

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...uency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

In any case, let me sum up the results of this review: Meal frequency per se has essentially no impact on the magnitude of weight or fat loss except for its effects on food intake. If a high meal frequency makes people eat more, they will gain weight. Because they are eating more. And if a high meal frequency makes people eat less, they will lose weight. Because they are eating less. But it’s got nothing to do with stoking the metabolic fire or affecting metabolic rate on a day to day basis. As the researchers state above:

We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.

And that’s that.

If you don't want breakfast you don't need it. For lots of people it makes them feel/perform better, so they eat it. If you don't want to eat it for whatever reason, its not killing you or your weight loss.

breakfast is the most delicious meal of the day. This has been proven by my scientific study of liking bacon and eggs more in the morning than at noon for some reason.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Feel Good said:

Breakfast:
- Nothing

Lunch:
- Baby carrots
- String Cheese

Dinner:
- Cottage Cheese
- Skim Milk

My only advice to you, and to anyone wanting to lose weight and get in shape, is to do what's sustainable. Don't look at your diet change as a short term thing to achieve a goal. Look at it as a permanent lifestyle change or it most likely won't stick.

So I ask, can you really see yourself following this plan for years on end?

Also, why skim milk?

You all have inspired me.

I'm not over weight but I have been putting on pounds as of late. I'm about to turn 28 and my metabolism is finally saying "I'm done"

I have always been skinny my life. I still have skinny ass arms and like no muscle but I'm okay with it because I'm not fat. The problem though is that while I am not getting fat anywhere else.. I am starting to get a gut. Metabolism is not helping anymore and I've put on about 4-5lbs in the past 2 months. I only weight 167lbs and I am 5'11" - 6'0". I know that doesn't sound like a ton.. but I gotta get rid of this gut!

I never exercise so my body gets brutally exhausted after about 10 mins of a light jog.

My diet isn't amazing. I skip breakfast and since I work at a workplace that provides free snacks/sodas/candy to its employees... I tend to reach for a soda constantly. I actually rarely snack on any of the chips and other things but I do snack on candy.

I eat out for lunch every day at work. Normally it is a restaraunt like a Chili's or a fast food place and for dinner I will just buy whatever is cheap at the grocery store that looks good and eat it.

I'm ready to change this and will probably start here in the next 2-3 weeks (Just went grocery shopping and need to kill off this food first)

Here is my plan. Let me know what you guys think...

- Starting tonight I have begun running. I ran/sprint walked for about 20 mins and almost for 2 miles. I'm going to continue this about 3-4 times a week and increase the time each time until I hit 1 hr and just hold there.
- I am going to begin killing carbs out of my diet. I probably will still skip breakfast but during lunch I will make wise decisions and at the restaraunts I eat at I will begin going for low carb options and/or just straight up protein.
- I am going to kill most if not all the candy out of my diet at work.
- I am going to limit myself to one soda a day.. or I will begin switching over solely to something like Vitamin Water until I can pull myself off and move to standard bottled water.
- I am probably still going to continue eating the same type of dinners I normally do but will begin incorporating some Chicken Breast/Pork focused dinners into my meals each and every week and maybe splitting them 50/50. I discovered I am not terrible at cooking these breasts/loins.
- For snacks/cravings I will try to focus on eating items like peanuts, string cheese, apple sauce, yogurt, fruit cups.
- Drinks at home will be juices most likely but not sodas. I will also begin drinking water at home as well.

So yea.. Does this sound okay to anyone?

I know everyone goes 50x more hardcore but I just have a gut as of late and I only weigh about 165-170lbs. I'm aiming to fall back in the 155lb range and while doing that I want to ensure this gut goes away cause fat is no where else. I'm not sculpted or anything on my chest but it isn't nearly as bad as my gut has gotten.

Thanks for the inspirational stories and pictures and advice Weight Loss GAF.

Fireye

Dr. Feel Good said:
Lunch:
- Baby carrots
- String Cheese

This lunch looks pretty similar to my normal lunch. What greek yogurt are you eating? I've started eating it once or twice a week at lunch, and after doing a quick look over the offerings in the local supermarket, I found that Fage 2% was the best compromise of fat, carbohydrates, and protein. It comes in at 150cal, 4g fat, 8g carbs, 20g protein per 200g serving.

I would also recommend picking up more fiber in the way of veggies. Try to get a salad, with broccoli, peppers, or whatever else you like. I find that on a low-carb diet, I really need that extra help.

_Isaac

I'm losing weight, and I feel like I am starting to have horrible breath now. It's really annoying. My gag reflex has also become even more sensitive than usual, and that's saying something.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
You all have inspired me.

I'm not over weight but I have been putting on pounds as of late. I'm about to turn 28 and my metabolism is finally saying "I'm done"

I have always been skinny my life. I still have skinny ass arms and like no muscle but I'm okay with it because I'm not fat. The problem though is that while I am not getting fat anywhere else.. I am starting to get a gut. Metabolism is not helping anymore and I've put on about 4-5lbs in the past 2 months. I only weight 167lbs and I am 5'11" - 6'0". I know that doesn't sound like a ton.. but I gotta get rid of this gut!

I never exercise so my body gets brutally exhausted after about 10 mins of a light jog.

My diet isn't amazing. I skip breakfast and since I work at a workplace that provides free snacks/sodas/candy to its employees... I tend to reach for a soda constantly. I actually rarely snack on any of the chips and other things but I do snack on candy.

I eat out for lunch every day at work. Normally it is a restaraunt like a Chili's or a fast food place and for dinner I will just buy whatever is cheap at the grocery store that looks good and eat it.

I'm ready to change this and will probably start here in the next 2-3 weeks (Just went grocery shopping and need to kill off this food first)

Here is my plan. Let me know what you guys think...

- Starting tonight I have begun running. I ran/sprint walked for about 20 mins and almost for 2 miles. I'm going to continue this about 3-4 times a week and increase the time each time until I hit 1 hr and just hold there.
- I am going to begin killing carbs out of my diet. I probably will still skip breakfast but during lunch I will make wise decisions and at the restaraunts I eat at I will begin going for low carb options and/or just straight up protein.
- I am going to kill most if not all the candy out of my diet at work.
- I am going to limit myself to one soda a day.. or I will begin switching over solely to something like Vitamin Water until I can pull myself off and move to standard bottled water.
- I am probably still going to continue eating the same type of dinners I normally do but will begin incorporating some Chicken Breast/Pork focused dinners into my meals each and every week and maybe splitting them 50/50. I discovered I am not terrible at cooking these breasts/loins.
- For snacks/cravings I will try to focus on eating items like peanuts, string cheese, apple sauce, yogurt, fruit cups.
- Drinks at home will be juices most likely but not sodas. I will also begin drinking water at home as well.

So yea.. Does this sound okay to anyone?

I know everyone goes 50x more hardcore but I just have a gut as of late and I only weigh about 165-170lbs. I'm aiming to fall back in the 155lb range and while doing that I want to ensure this gut goes away cause fat is no where else. I'm not sculpted or anything on my chest but it isn't nearly as bad as my gut has gotten.

Sounds good to me. Cutting soda should help a lot, maybe some healthier lunches and I'm sure you'll see a difference just on those two alone.
_Isaac said:
I'm losing weight, and I feel like I am starting to have horrible breath now. It's really annoying. My gag reflex has also become even more sensitive than usual, and that's saying something.
Low carb breath? Yup.

Darren870

Bealost said:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...uency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

If you don't want breakfast you don't need it. For lots of people it makes them feel/perform better, so they eat it. If you don't want to eat it for whatever reason, its not killing you or your weight loss.

If you read studies a lot of them say that skipping breakfast tends to lead to being overweight. You tend to make poorer choices and eat more during lunch and other meals which then helps pack on the bounds.

Just google "skipping breakfast", the first page is all about reasons why you shouldn't....

ch0mp

Darren870 said:
If you read studies a lot of them say that skipping breakfast tends to lead to being overweight. You tend to make poorer choices and eat more during lunch and other meals which then helps pack on the bounds.

Just google "skipping breakfast", the first page is all about reasons why you shouldn't....
Are people making poor choices because they skip breakfast, or because they don't care about their health? I mean everyone knows if you skip breakfast you are "unhealthy".

LosDaddie

Banned
Dr. Feel Good said:

Breakfast:
- Nothing.

I would change this. Eat something for breafast. You should always eat breakfast. If you don't feel like cooking, then grab some fruit.

TurtleSnatcher said:

Ok first off, 6' tall and weighing 167 lbs is not fat. You may not be happy with your gut, but I know a lot of 6' (& over) people who would love to be 167 lbs. So don't fret.

My advice would be to get your cardio to 30min and spend the other 30min lifting weights. Build some muscle, man. Getting exhausted after only 10min of exercise is not good.

Zefah said:
My only advice to you, and to anyone wanting to lose weight and get in shape, is to do what's sustainable. Don't look at your diet change as a short term thing to achieve a goal. Look at it as a permanent lifestyle change or it most likely won't stick.

So I ask, can you really see yourself following this plan for years on end?

Also, why skim milk?

During the week it's been do-able for me. At work I have enough self control not to eat what people bring in for treats, and I've discarded pretty much anything junky around my house. The weekends are what kill me. If I'm going out drinking with friends, I'm hungover or sleeping in and lazy I find myself heading out and grabbing bad food. It's Friday night, and all of Saturday that really hurts me.

As for the skim milk... I don't know, I just grew up on it and anything heavier is hard to swallow.

Fireye said:
This lunch looks pretty similar to my normal lunch. What greek yogurt are you eating? I've started eating it once or twice a week at lunch, and after doing a quick look over the offerings in the local supermarket, I found that Fage 2% was the best compromise of fat, carbohydrates, and protein. It comes in at 150cal, 4g fat, 8g carbs, 20g protein per 200g serving.

I would also recommend picking up more fiber in the way of veggies. Try to get a salad, with broccoli, peppers, or whatever else you like. I find that on a low-carb diet, I really need that extra help.

I'm eating Chobani. I live in a smaller town in Wisconsin, and there aren't a lot of options. The flavored stuff is 140 cal, 0g fat, 20g of carbs, 20g of sugar, and 14g of protein in 170g serving. I could go plain and cut the carbs and sugar, but man, that stuff is hard to choke down. I did see Icelandic Yogurt the other day at a specialty store the other day though which was flavored and had similar protein and lower carbs/sugar but was $2.50 a cup! Greek yogurt isn't cheap (paying ~1.35 a cup) but man, I don't think the wallet can take that. That Fage kind sounds a bit better than what I'm eating though.

Thanks for the fiber tip, I'll keep that in mind. What's the benefit of fiber in a diet like this if I may ask though?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Darren870 said:
You don't need breakfast? Who says? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

60 of my 140 pounds lost came from eliminating breakfast from my daily eating. *All* of my muscle gains came from eliminating breakfast and simply ingesting 10g of BCAA prior to working out (Leangains method) with my first meal of the day being right after my workout.

As a child growing up, I despised being forced to eat right after waking up. I have never been hungry or craved for food after waking up and probably never will be. The Leangains liestyle freed that burden in my mind that made me feel guilty if I'd have a small breakfast or no breakfast at all. I never get hungry until about 4 hours after waking.

As far as how it benefits in terms of biology, as far as I know (if I'm wrong then please let me know), HGH, testosterone, and fat metabolism are all very high while you sleep (which is why you build muscle during your sleep). If you wake up and immediately eat, insulin spikes which blunts fat metabolism and HGH levels drop significantly. If you wake up and don't eat anything for a few more hours, you're staying in that high testosterone, HGH, and fat metabolism state for a longer period of time.

Breakfast is only important if you're someone who can't stick to their structured eating lifestyle and decides to grab two doughnuts and a caramel frapuccino on the go as a replacement because you skipped breakfast. If you skip breakfast but commit to simply going for your regularly scheduled lunch, mid-meal snack, and then dinner, eliminating breakfast will benefit you (or not harm you in any way, whichever way you'd like to look at it).

If eating breakfast is important and benefcial to you, great! But don't beat yourself up if you skip breakfast or choose to eliminate it from your daily eating.

Revoh

I'm on my third day of low carb diet (first month was low-calorie diet) and I'm starting to lose my mind, I'm not hungry but I can't stop picturing this delicious chocolate cake and shit like that. I won't eat any of that, that's for sure, but daaaamn :(

Bealost

Darren870 said:

That's called an argument from popularity, its a common logical fallacy. Just because a lot of people say it or believe it, it doesn't mean its true.

Also, Unhealthy people tending to skip breakfast does NOT mean that not eating breakfast makes you unhealthy.

LosDaddie said:
I would change this. Eat something for breafast. You should always eat breakfast. If you don't feel like cooking, then grab some fruit.

Ok first off, 6' tall and weighing 167 lbs is not fat. You may not be happy with your gut, but I know a lot of 6' (& over) people who would love to be 167 lbs. So don't fret.

My advice would be to get your cardio to 30min and spend the other 30min lifting weights. Build some muscle, man. Getting exhausted after only 10min of exercise is not good.

So much wrong here.

You don't have to eat breakfast. It is a choice. If you choose to eat it, you can. If not, then don't. It is not something that is 'required'.

With regards to lifting, look into something called StartingStrength or StrongLifts. It is a basic 3x5 routine where you focus on compound lifts, form, and lifting heavy. Weights will cause you to lose more weight then cardio. If you choose to cardio, do it at the end of your workout or on a different day. You can to conserve your energy to lift as much weight as you can. 6 feet @ 167 sounds pretty damn skinny. 155 seems even worse. I don't know what you look like so I can't really say for sure, but I would focus on putting on muscle/weight rather than losing it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Bealost said:
That's called an argument from popularity, its a common logical fallacy. Just because a lot of people say it or believe it, it doesn't mean its true.

Also, Unhealthy people tending to skip breakfast does NOT mean that not eating breakfast makes you unhealthy.
Yeah, I've read about skipping breakfast for hours but still haven't come to a conclusive answer. For me I definitely have breakfast but limit it to fiber mostly and not more than 300 or so calories. Works awesome for me on dieting days :)

LosDaddie

Banned
FallingEdge said:
So much wrong here.

Not at all. But hey, this is why I love this thread. Like I said earlier, it's a prime example why there are many different voices on weight loss methods. We have GAFers claiming exercising does nothing for weight loss, and others claiming eating breakfast isn't important (and probably better for you).

From personal experience, skipping breakfast doesn't work for me. I dunno...maybe my engineering job is more mentally demanding than most because the times I've skipped breakfast I had trouble staying focused and I was a bit grouchy. Eating breakfast solved that problem. And like I've mentioned before, I run 1.5mi in the mornings (only started this when i got serious about losing weight), so I'm starved by the time I get to work.

FallingEdge said:
With regards to lifting, look into something called StartingStrength or StrongLifts. It is a basic 3x5 routine where you focus on compound lifts, form, and lifting heavy. Weights will cause you to lose more weight then cardio. If you choose to cardio, do it at the end of your workout or on a different day. You can to conserve your energy to lift as much weight as you can. 6 feet @ 167 sounds pretty damn skinny. 155 seems even worse. I don't know what you look like so I can't really say for sure, but I would focus on putting on muscle/weight rather than losing it.

Agreed on this. I'd focus on adding muscle mass, rather than strictly losing weight. 6' and 155 lbs sounds incredibly skinny to me.

Zoe

LosDaddie said:
And like I've mentioned before, I run 1.5mi in the mornings (only started this when i got serious about losing weight), so I'm starved by the time I get to work.

Well as they say, you really need to be eating something shortly after a workout. Preferably within 30 minutes.

LosDaddie

Banned
Zoe said:
Well as they say, you really need to be eating something shortly after a workout. Preferably within 30 minutes.

Right, but even if I don't run in the morning, I still have trouble focusing and I'm irritable if I don't eat breakfast. I only started running before work when I got serious about losing weight....and it's a nice start to the day. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LosDaddie said:
Agreed on this. I'd focus on adding muscle mass, rather than strictly losing weight. 6' and 155 lbs sounds incredibly skinny to me.

6' and 155lbs definitely isn't incredibly skinny. Unless the guy has a decent amount of muscle, they almost certainly won't have a visible six pack and will most likely have a slight spare tire. At least, that's how it is for me. I'm 5'11" at that weight and still have a good amount of flab to lose.

Bealost

Before, when I still weighed well over 250, I would have said it was incredibly skinny. Now at 205, I feel like I could easily lose another 20 lbs. So maybe its not as skinny as I once thought.

I can currently just start to see the outline of my abs, along with being able t clearly see my ribcage if I put my arms over my head. Due to being so overweight I still have some flab around my lower mid-section. My plan right now is to hit 190 and re-evaluate my goal.

Been super lazy about lifting the last couple of days, ugh.

Log4Girlz

Ok slowing down majorly, this is what I get for cheating two nights in a row last week! But still, 20 pounds lost so far (naturally I fluctuate, but still I'm currently at my lowest weight since starting this diet mid-september). Boy am I satisfied with the results so far, but still have 60 pounds to go!

dejay

Banned
Down 20kg since i started, and about 16kg since i started my daily tracking. Currently 88kg, with maybe 3 to 5 left to go, which is basically love handles that only shows under reaaly tight shirts.

I hit a plateau for a while but then I started eating huge breakfasts, skipping lunch and eating a smallish dinner. All high protein, and lots of fat and moderate carbs. I think the secret, for me at least, is the high protein reduces my appetite.

Chorazin

Went to an event last night and the only thing to eat was pizza, and I was starving so I had three slices. I feel so gross today. Fucking carbs!

nickcv

and today i finally reached the 17 kg loss... still 12 left...

right now i'm 102.1 kg (225 pounds) with a fat mass of 28.5 kg (62 pounds)

do you guys think that 189 (6'2") x 90 kg (198 pounds) is going to be fine?

Kingbrave

I've wanted to post this before, but was always chicken and kind of embarrassed. I used to weigh 360 pounds, this pic is 8 years old a few weeks after my son was born...
213j8m1.jpg

This is me 4 years ago, with my son obviously....
i4jpn4.jpg

And this is me, sorry for crappy 3ds pic but I don't have a camera...
nccvw5.jpg

I'm down to about 180...
So the moral of the story is, don't get diabetes (but yay for not being fat!!)!

Congrats man. Amazing achievement.

I hope this isn't too personal, but I've always been curious and I'm hoping you won' mind answering this...but what happened to all the excess skin? Were you able to tighten it up doing various exercises or did you go down the surgical route?

Kingbrave

It's still on my stomach, which makes me feel fat still even though I'm not. I have a lot of it just hanging around all gross like because of how fast I lost it. I went from a size 48 to a size 30 in pants...all in about a year.

Kingbrave said:
It's still on my stomach, which makes me feel fat still even though I'm not. I have a lot of it just hanging around all gross like because of how fast I lost it. I went from a size 48 to a size 30 in pants...all in about a year.

Thanks for answering. Have you tried any tightening exercises or are you thinking about going the surgical route/leaving it as it is?

Anyway, just wanted to say again that's an incredible achievement, you should be really proud. Inspiring stuff.

Kingbrave

Speedymanic said:
Thanks for answering. Have you tried any tightening exercises or are you thinking about going the surgical route/leaving it as it is?

Anyway, just wanted to say again that's an incredible achievement, you should be really proud. Inspiring stuff.

I should do the exercises, but I'm usually busy. I've thought about the surgery thing but I'm Insulin dependent diabetic and I worry about infection and other stuff.

I'm proud that I'm skinnier. I hate that I had to get diabetes and almost die to get this way. It's more of a warning to people to watch what they eat kind of thing.

nickcv

Speedymanic said:

i've always thought that once you have extra skin the only solution is the surgical route.
i thought that exercises were just good to prevent it from happening but useless once you actually got it.

A quick question.
I've lost some weight lately, 173lbs in mid-august i'm ~150lbs now (i'm 5'9ft).
Basicly i just cut all the crap that i was eating pizza burger and stuff , cut the deserts and ate less. The only thing that i didn't change is the amount of alcohol i'm drinking ( 4-5 times a week).
It seems that i don't loose weight anymore and i want to hit the 140lbs.
Is alcohol really incompatible with a diet ?
I'd rather start working out (runing ?) then give up on alcohol.

nickcv

casablanca said:
A quick question.
Basicly i just cut all the crap that i was eating pizza burger and stuff , cut the deserts and ate less. The only thing that i didn't change is the amount of alcohol i'm drinking ( 4-5 times a week).

alcohol is no good for sure...
anyhow i drink about 2 times a week (for a total of two glass of white martini and a half a litre beer) but i do workout a lot (5 times a week).

anyhow is not good at all.
drinking works against mass gain and fat loss

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I took 4 months off of working out to heal up.

Holy shit I got fat.

Back to the grind.

SmokeMaxX

casablanca said:
A quick question.
One can of beer is on average ~150 calories. Each beer you drink is 150 excess calories that your body doesn't need. Considering some people eat ~1000 calories per day, you could easily drink 50-75% of your average daily intake even with light drinking.

I'm taking another shot at IF to hopefully restart my weight loss. I tired it a few months ago but kind of half-assed it; this time I'm really going to do it in earnest.

I did my first fast yesterday and it went very well. I definitely think it's something I could maintain.

fhj

Anybody here combining Keto diet with lifting?

Im on a targeted ketogenic diet where I supposed to consume 25-50g carbs prior to training to fill up the glycogen reserves.

I did this today with about 25g carbs. The carbs were complex carbs (dextrose) and a part of a creatine mix. My exercise routine includes 34 minutes of 4x4 interval running and 10 different exercises with 3x10 reps which takes about 1 hour (I just started). Somewhere towards the end today, I felt completely exhausted and had to take longer breaks to recover. I had to sit down for 15 minutes after completing the routine. I had half the dose left from my creatine mix, and I only started to feel better after drinking this.

Any thoughts or advise? Should I increase the carbs pre workout or should i get some gel to refill under way? I don't want to compromise my ketogenic state though..

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My progress has always been a yo-yo, but I've been doing pretty well for the past couple of months, managing to almost entirely lose the paunch that's been sitting at my waist for more than a decade by eating lighter and less (not low carb by any definition, but lower than I used to) and focusing on 90 minutes or so of simple weight training spread throughout the day along with a very small amount of cardio (in addition to walking to and from work every day) when the mood strikes me. This finally does feel sustainable to my needs and lifestyle, and it rarely inconveniences me in any way.

That said, I hit a snag recently thanks to a bit of cyclical depression and put on a few pounds, but was trying to get back on track this week... And now a friend randomly sends me five pounds of candy in the mail. Jesus! Not that I don't appreciate the thought, but I'll have to find someone to unload most of this on and toss out the rest. Such a waste.

Top Bottom