• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Bealost

Zefah said:
I thought you were just going off against bro science?
I wasn't going off against it, was just saying that meal frequency was largely debunked, making it bro-science. That doesn't mean that your body doesn't process carbs differently after a fast.

Bealost

vas_a_morir said:
Sup weight-loss gaf!
EDIT: Also, what is bro-science exactly? I hear people talking about it all the time on this thread. I imagine it's stuff some meathead will tell you in a gym that has no real scientific proof, like metabolism boosting type stuff.

Basically that's it, yes.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Bealost said:
Well, been quiet for a few days in here. Here is a question to stimulate some conversation.

Lately I've been cheating on breakfast and having a bowl of honey nut cheerios with two scoops of vanilla whey mixed in the milk. It's DELICIOUS but I can't decide how bad it is.

Edit:: macros work out like this:
600 Calories
60g protein
50g carbs

I know its a lot of carbs, but carbs are ok in the AM right? Its not like I'm doing keto or anything.

Beyond macros, if this food makes you want to overeat it or causes you to crave it, then toss it. Sometimes people confuse delicious with over-rewarding. For example, lots of fast food is rewarding (taco bell, pizza) whereas a quality plate of steak and vegetables is delicious without being over rewarding.

Sup weight-loss gaf!

I'd like to say that I have been exercising really hard and cutting out snacks, fast food, and just poor dinner choices and I have gone from a robust 204 to a still robust 196! In about 18 days, I'd say that is within the healthy range for weight loss, wouldn't you? It's just a lifestyle change. No gimmicks. Just eating like Americans used to eat when we were skinny. The key, I swear, is exercise. You don't even gotta kill yourself, but do something that works for you. I love cycling, as it is my preferred mode of transport anyway.

Another thing I'm doing is I am swearing off any kind of alcohol until I get down to 180 pounds. That may be as late as February at this pace, but that's okay. I don't like the stuff that much anyway.

While exercise is a useful tool, I don't think it's a requirement for everyone to lose weight. Back when America was thin we still drove cars but there wasn't a large fitness industry. I think disregulation of hunger and body fat by the brain is key for long term weight management. It should be an involuntary process regulated by the brain that doesn't require conscious thought.

Well, it's the key for me. And it's not because I burn all that many calories. It's because when I see a delicious brownie, I say "Hmm, I busted my ass for 45 minutes to burn these calories. Is it worth it?" and I say "Maybe" lol.

Bealost

vas_a_morir said:
So tell me: Is eating small meals during the day to boost your metabolism bro-science?

Yes.

Perhaps one of the longest standing dogmas in the weight loss and bodybuilding world is the absolute necessity of eating frequently for various reasons. Specific to weight loss, how many times have you heard something along the lines of “Eating 6 times per day stokes the metabolic fire.” or “You must eat 6 times per day to lose fat effectively.” or “Skipping even one meal per day will slow your metabolic rate and you’ll hoard fat.” Probably a lot

Well, guess what. The idea is primarily based on awful observational studies and direct research (where meal frequency is varied within the context of an identical number of calories under controlled conditions) says that it’s all basically nonsense. The basic premise came, essentially out of a misunderstanding of the thermic effect of food (TEF) also called dietary induced thermogenesis (DIT) which are the calories burned in processing of the food you eat.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...uency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

I'll find a link to show AM carbs are better than PM carbs when I get home later, I'm in a rush off to a halloween party.

Thank You. Once again, eating small meals during the day works for some people because of psychological reasons, but forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry doesn't work for me.

Carb-heavy Vegas trip rocketed me back up to 230 last week, but I'm back down to 225 this morning. Gonna keep this going now! Love that feeling on the scale.
Also, Gary Whitta convinced me to get some Nuggs from McDonald's the other day. Goddamn they were good, and I was still under 100g for the day.

Bealost said:
Not to say its good, but don't just spout random facts.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1702/2
cocoa puffs 13g sugar per 3/4 cup

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1540/2
Honey nut cheerios 9g sugar per 3/4 cup (with some of it coming from honey and not straight sugar.)
My mistake, I looked up values online but they were wrong.
1. It's still close enough that it's all shitty sugar
2. Honey is sugar...what do you think it is?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Having carbs at night (>6pm) actually increases fat loss and promotes overall health, so maybe you'll want to load up on the carbs at nght rather than after you wake up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hear that if you eat exactly 60 grams of carbohydrate in the form of broccoli or asparagus between 18:45:03 and 21:52:09 GMT while sitting cross-legged at an altitude of 520 feet above sea level, your body will shed exactly 2.5 lbs of adipose tissue by the next morning and you will gain heart attack immunity for one year (this effect is cumulative). The effect is doubled if it happens to be a full moon.

Zefah said:
I hear that if you eat exactly 60 grams of carbohydrate in the form of broccoli or asparagus between 18:45:03 and 21:52:09 GMT while sitting cross-legged at an altitude of 520 feet above sea level, your body will shed exactly 2.5 lbs of adipose tissue by the next morning and you will gain heart attack immunity for one year (this effect is cumulative). The effect is doubled if it happens to be a full moon.
That's what some guy going squats at the gym told me! I knew it!

Man

vas_a_morir said:
eating small meals during the day works for some people because of psychological reasons, but forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry doesn't work for me.
During all my weight drop months I have always just had a simpler lunch at work and a big dinner in the evening. Doing great and it's good to have that one meal that let's you 'gorge' (every day).

Srsly

Banned
I lost ~60 lbs with a low carb diet, but I still have about 20 lbs left to lose. I've been plateauing lately and my cravings for junk food have been resurfacing, so I've decided to start a new experiment on myself: an extremely low food reward diet.

For the foreseeable future, I'm going to eat mostly only baked potatoes without any toppings. I will also have fish oil and a couple of protein shakes and a multivitamin to hopefully cover any micro deficiencies and get in enough protein to sustain my lean mass (I'm still doing fully body resistance training). I actually started this diet 3 days ago and so far so good. No cravings as of yet, and I've felt energetic.

I was hoping to get in about 15 potatoes a day, but I can only stomach about 10-12 (3-4 per meal). If this diet continues to be as satiating as it is so far, I'll shed the extra lbs in no time.

teh_pwn

Srsly said:
I lost ~60 lbs with a low carb diet, but I still have about 20 lbs left to lose. I've been plateauing lately and my cravings for junk food have been resurfacing, so I've decided to start a new experiment on myself: an extremely low food reward diet.

For the foreseeable future, I'm going to eat mostly only baked potatoes without any toppings. I will also have fish oil and a couple of protein shakes and a multivitamin to hopefully cover any micro deficiencies. I actually started this diet 3 days ago and so far so good. No cravings as of yet, and I've felt energetic.

I was hoping to get in about 15 potatoes a day, but I can only stomach about 10-12 (3-4 per meal). If this diet continues to be as satiating as it is so far, I'll shed the extra lbs in no time.

When I finished up my last 10-15 lbs on low reward it was awesome. My hunger went away nearly completely, I would forget to eat but in a good way. You know how they say not to weigh yourself daily? Well I did, because it was highly motivating. Every day it seemed I would go down 1/3 a pound. I mean it wasn't exact, but averaging I was losing about 1 lb every 3 days. I lost the weight over 5 weeks or so.

I think the diet only works well in isolation. I avoided commercials (well, I already do that - dvr and netflix), avoided work cafeteria, threw out all rewarding food at home and I was single at the time.

Why eat so many potatoes? I was eating something like 500 calories per day. Protein bar (the bland pure protein ones, not the candy/good tasting kind) at for lunch and I would eat a slice of precooked bacon every couple of hours at home (I alternated with plain steak which is even less rewarding). Every few days a couple of spoons of plain rice to avoid prolonged ketosis.

I only had to do dishes every week it seemed too.

The diet is a bit extreme. From other people's perspective it may seem like it's starvation. But it wasn't really. Sometimes I would get hungry thinking about food like pizza. But then I would reevaluate hunger when I saw what I had in the fridge. The hunger then went away. So there's willpower in that respect.

But whatever that drive was to overeat before is gone. Highly rewarding foods are rewarding, but not as much. They taste a bit obnoxious now, much like soda is too sweet to water drinkers.

Srsly

Banned
teh_pwn said:
But whatever that drive was to overeat before is gone. Highly rewarding foods are rewarding, but not as much. They taste a bit obnoxious now, much like soda is too sweet to water drinkers.

I could probably go down to about ~500 kcals a day and not wanna kill myself, but I feel pretty comfortable with my current intake of 1200-1400 kcals. I'm not consciously deciding to eat that amount beforehand, it's just what satiates me at the moment. I might need more than you needed because I have quite a bit of lean mass (before I gained weight, I was very strong and had dense bones and I'm as strong as I was then after several months of losing weight and weight training) and my weight training sessions are pretty intense...

I'm hesitant to do this because I'm afraid it will cause me to go out of control, but when I finish losing weight I plan on getting a large pizza and seeing how easily I can down it. I have a feeling it will be a struggle to finish a pizza in one sitting after a few months of being on a low reward diet.

teh_pwn

Srsly said:
I could probably go down to about ~500 kcals a day and not wanna kill myself, but I feel pretty comfortable with my current intake of 1200-1400 kcals. I'm not consciously deciding to eat that amount beforehand, it's just what satiates me at the moment. I might need more than you needed because I have quite a bit of lean mass (before I gained weight, I was very strong and had dense bones and I'm as strong as I was then after several months of losing weight and weight training) and my weight training sessions are pretty intense...

I'm hesitant to do this because I'm afraid it will cause me to go out of control, but when I finish losing weight I plan on getting a large pizza and seeing how easily I can down it. I have a feeling it will be a struggle to finish a pizza in one sitting after a few months of being on a low reward diet.

While it's harder to overeat, it's also much harder to undereat even bland food. As your body approaches it's target body fat setpoint, it'll tune up hunger. It's about resetting the hunger/satiety system, or so the theory goes. I don't think you need to worry about spiraling towards anorexia.

teh_pwn said:
While it's harder to overeat, it's also much harder to undereat even bland food. As your body approaches it's target body fat setpoint, it'll tune up hunger. It's about resetting the hunger/satiety system, or so the theory goes. I don't think you need to worry about spiraling towards anorexia.
Seems like this diet would be hugely muscle eating - did you find that to be the case?

teh_pwn

elrechazao said:
Seems like this diet would be hugely muscle eating - did you find that to be the case?

I don't think so, but I am starting to lift again. I'm weaker in some respects, but not by a lot. Most of my caloric intake on this diet was protein, then fat, then carb. Probably most similar to the Dukan diet when I used steak.

Wykesie

Neo Member
I really need to sort myself out.

I have always been around the same size as long as I can remember around 175lbs at 5"4. But over the last year I have ballooned up to 210lbs and I hate myself for it because I saw it happen but was just hoping it would go away. I have got to the point now where I am really self conscious (I'm not huge but I still feel very uncomfortable)

I have a love food, it is something that has gotten worse over the last year (I think I know actually what has caused this as well) and I think it has a hold over me. I don't eat terribly but I don't eat too healthy either. At the moment I eat a lot of pasta (my biggest weakness) I take in a a lot of carbs and sugar in my diet.

I plan to walk to work from now on and get the bus less meaning I could do up to an hour walking everyday.

Its the diet food side I am not sure where to start. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Bealost

Zefah said:

But back to breakfast. Eating carbs upon waking not only replenishes an overnight-depleted liver, but breakfast boosts mental and physical performance later in the day and many of us have even heard how it can improve fat/ weight loss in general. Ingesting one's carbs during these hours of higher muscular activity helps, too. (Recall that muscle contractions alone induce glucose uptake from the blood irrespective of insulin.) So, if the goal is to get carbs into one's muscles, the morning hours are a good time to do it.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...formance_nutrition/temporal_nutrition_part_ii

That article is particularly old (most of the research he sites is from the late 90's, some even older). It's the only one I could find in my 30 minutes before bed that specifically talks about morning carb consumption. I'm pretty sure I've read it a bunch of times in other places as well, but I don't have a photographic memory, so its all I've got for now.

At the end the author states:
Although I've approached it from a different angle, with training-specific and time-of-day modifications, I still consider total calories (subtracting 25-35% for fat loss), keep protein regular and fairly high (about 1.0 g/lb.), minimize refined carbs and undesirable fats, typically choose a single energy substrate (carbs OR fat) at each meal, emphasize post-workout (even para-workout) nutrition, and employ frequent portion-controlled meals with fibrous vegetable fillers.
Which I'm pretty sure is a good summation of the general consensus of diet recommendations around, excluding specific diets like keto that work specifically through exploiting chemical processes in the body.

Bealost

Wykesie said:
I really need to sort myself out.

I have always been around the same size as long as I can remember around 175lbs at 5"4. But over the last year I have ballooned up to 210lbs and I hate myself for it because I saw it happen but was just hoping it would go away. I have got to the point now where I am really self conscious (I'm not huge but I still feel very uncomfortable)

I have a love food, it is something that has gotten worse over the last year (I think I know actually what has caused this as well) and I think it has a hold over me. I don't eat terribly but I don't eat too healthy either. At the moment I eat a lot of pasta (my biggest weakness) I take in a a lot of carbs and sugar in my diet.

I plan to walk to work from now on and get the bus less meaning I could do up to an hour walking everyday.

Its the diet food side I am not sure where to start. Some advice would be much appreciated.

That's a fantastic place to start. If its your biggest weakness, start working on it. It seems like everyone recommends weight training, mostly because it works, but start with whatever you can. If that's just some walking, that's fine. Try to make a better choice and work harder every day and eventually you will be eating, feeling, and looking great.

Dany

Banned
I think I might go veggie, or I have been veggie for at least 3 weeks kinda inherently. I don't eat from the cafeteria, and I only have a clif bar and some veggie sandwich because the meat sucks at the gym.

I dunno, I am thinking about doing this long term but I dunno? has anyone tried?

As someone that lost the fat, I just wanted to chime in that low carb eating is something that is sustainable in the long run. Reached goal in late spring, but see no reason to go back to my old habits. This has been a lifestyle changer for sure.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ipukespiders said:
As someone that lost the fat, I just wanted to chime in that low carb eating is something that is sustainable in the long run. Reached goal in late spring, but see no reason to go back to my old habits. This has been a lifestyle changer for sure.

I remember a picture you posted that showed you at a very low bf%. What'd you do to lose the last 20 pounds or so (that's where I'm at)? Anything fancy or just stuck to the low-carb routine the whole way through?

Domino Theory said:
I remember a picture you posted that showed you at a very low bf%. What'd you do to lose the last 20 pounds or so (that's where I'm at)? Anything fancy or just stuck to the low-carb routine the whole way through?
Yep, just stuck to the low carb... and continue to do so. Added a bit extra carbs tkd style (once goal was reached) for my workouts, but that's the jist of it.

What are these insane diets you guys are posting in here? Potatoes? Just veggies (not for philosophical reasons)? At least do something that is sustainable and makes sense. You're just going to gain back the weight, and you won't be healthy. Scary stuff on this last page.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I was actually encouraged to hear my dad tell me that he went to nutritionist after some bloodwork revealed that he's pre-diabetic and they put him on a very low carb, high protein diet.

Granted, the diet they put him on is a very tough one to jump into. They want him to be eating 160+g of protein a day and under 20g of carbs. Coming from his typical lifestyle that is a pretty harsh adjustment.

Was just happy to hear a proper diet recommended by a professional for his condition. I'll likely be helping him making adjustments to it so it can be sustainable, but he desperately needs a diet change to save him. He's probably a good 120 pounds overweight and has been for over 20 years.

LosDaddie

Banned
Zefah said:
One of the Urban Dictionary definitions does a good job of explaining it as follows: "Anecdotal evidence presented as fact by unqualified, yet confident indviduals in the body building community. "

So then, yes, it's another lame term like "dudebro" used on the Gaming side.

Also, I love this thread. This is the only place I've read where eating breakfast doesn't matter, and that weight training does nothing for weight loss. :lol Love it. :)

Esch

Banned
I stopped eating breakfast via IF and have seen the best pure fat loss on any diet plan i've ever been on, but that's just me.

So my doc has recommended a cheat day once a week. That seems to have kept me up on things and hasn't seemed to really mess anything up. I find myself making better choices on my cheat day anyway.

Quick question. What do you guys do about the holidays? I'm already catching shit from a lot of people about my diet since i don't go out with them a lot any more, but the holidays are going to be worse, food wise. What do you guys do?

Revoh

So how is this for a low carb diet? Today is my first day, btw.
Breakfast: scrambled eggs (3 eggs) with 3 slices of bacon.
Lunch: Letucce and tomatoes salad with maybe 200gr of chicken. I put a lot of olive oil in the salad.
Dinner: Same as lunch.

I'm not hungry as I used to be when I was eating more carbs, so I think that's good. I don't drink juice, and don't eat any fruit.

Should I add more fat?

rodrigoviola said:
Lunch: Letucce and tomatoes salad with maybe 200gr of chicken. I put a lot of olive oil in the salad.

I'm not hungry as I used to be when I was eating more carbs, so I think that's good. I don't drink juice, and don't eat any fruit.

Should I add more fat?

I don't pretend to know much about low carb diets, but surely you shouldn't cut out fruit entirely? Some berries are pretty low in carbs and you'll get the added bonus of some vitamins by having them at least once.

rodrigoviola said:

Should I add more fat?

I think you're off to a good start. Good luck!

Bealost

LosDaddie said:

Also, I love this thread. This is the only place I've read where eating breakfast doesn't matter, and that weight training does nothing for weight loss. :lol Love it. :)

I'm not sure where you got the bolded.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rodrigoviola said:

Should I add more fat?
My personal preference is to have a larger breakfast to help carry me.
I added cheese and butter to the eggs and more eggs and bacon.

Don't know your weight, so it is all relative.

omgkitty

Anyone else had some candy lately? Kind of hard to resist since it's everywhere! At least Reese's has peanut butter in them, which is protein...(I'm pulling at straws here I know)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bealost said:
I'm not sure where you got the bolded.

People love to blow things out of proportion and sensationalize.

They read: "Weight training isn't necessary for weight loss, but can increase muscle mass and improve general health."

They interpret it as: "Weight training does nothing for weight loss!!"

Some more extreme people might even take it as follows: "Weight training adversely affects weight loss!!!"

I've been really good about Halloween. Had a couple of Starburts last night, but they only had about 5g of carbs each. So I stayed under my limits. Just a taste is all I needed. Back to that delicious meat!

LosDaddie said:

Eating breakfast doesn't matter. If you choose to eat it, then fine. If not, then it is okay as well.

teh_pwn

ZackieChan said:
What are these insane diets you guys are posting in here? Potatoes? Just veggies (not for philosophical reasons)? At least do something that is sustainable and makes sense. You're just going to gain back the weight, and you won't be healthy. Scary stuff on this last page.

It's a low food reward diet. It's something they've done in controlled trials. Humans loosely a few times, but they've done it several times with rats.

Reward refers specifically to how much it encourages overeating and repeat meals. Something can be of high quality and taste great and not be high in food reward, conversely something can be high reward but poor quality and moderate taste (fast food and junk food).

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/07/food-reward-dominant-factor-in-obesity.html

It's not that insane when you thing about it. Rate how easily you could overeat the following:
1. Atkins low carb peanut butter chocolate endulge
2. Plain, cold rice, no salt or seasoning.
3. Melted cheese and pepperoni.
4. Buttered popcorn.
5. Pizza.
6. Plain, unseasoned, cold steak.

See how carbohydrate isn't exclusive? I mean lowering insulin helps, but it's not the only thing going on in the brain when it assess a food's value.

Revoh

Hazaro said:
My personal preference is to have a larger breakfast to help carry me.
I added cheese and butter to the eggs and more eggs and bacon.

Don't know your weight, so it is all relative.

Sorry that my first post wasn't all that informative, I posted it from my phone.

I'm 75 kg atm, about 1.77 cm tall. Body fat around 20% according to my fat monitor. My body type is weird, I have skinny legs, skinny forearms but kinda big biceps and triceps. My fat is mostly located in my mid section -- I have pretty big love handles.

So anyway, I started dieting about a month ago thanks to this thread The Contest: Junk Food Ed.#2. I cut all junk foods, and started drinking a lot more water but I was still drinking orange juice, eating fruits, cereal in the morning, milk, and cheese.

I lost 5 kg.

But then I read about this low-carb diet and decided to do that instead, it just makes more sense to me and is way easier in my opinion. I'm gonna try this low-carb thing for about a month and see how it goes.

My "workout" consists of walking home from work 5 times a week, about 3 miles everyday.

The most difficult part for me is telling my mom that I'm not gonna die (I hope so) if I eat 5 eggs a day, and all that meat and FAT. I don't know how to make her understand :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rodrigoviola said:
Sorry that my first post wasn't all that informative, I posted it from my phone.

I'm 75 kg atm, about 1.77 cm tall. Body fat around 20% according to my fat monitor. My body type is weird, I have skinny legs, skinny forearms but kinda big biceps and triceps. My fat is mostly located in my mid section -- I have pretty big love handles.

So anyway, I started dieting about a month ago thanks to this thread The Contest: Junk Food Ed.#2. I cut all junk foods, and started drinking a lot more water but I was still drinking orange juice, eating fruits, cereal in the morning, milk, and cheese.

I lost 5 kg.

But then I read about this low-carb diet and decided to do that instead, it just makes more sense to me and is way easier in my opinion. I'm gonna try this low-carb thing for about a month and see how it goes.

My "workout" consists of walking home from work 5 times a week, about 3 miles everyday.

The most difficult part for me is telling my mom that I'm not gonna die (I hope so) if I eat 5 eggs a day, and all that meat and FAT. I don't know how to make her understand :/
From what I have heard cholesterol in your diet does not really affect your body's level of cholesterol, and in addition the connections between high/low cholesterol and heart disease are iffy. At least in my experience I had been on a low carb diet, got my blood tested, and my cholesterol was slightly below normal (probably from lack of good fats?).

Carbs are stored as fat then used as fat, so this way you are just eating... fat! (I need a refresher on this, I swear I've learned and forgot exactly how this works 3 times now)

teh_pwn

rodrigoviola said:

It's really easy. There's this country that is known for omelets, cheese, and dishes heavy in meat and animal fats. They have some of the lowest rates of heart disease in the modern world. It's France. Hypothesis "animal products will kill you" invalidated.

They also eat tons of local produce fresh, so consider that as well.

Ripclawe

Banned
So eggs healthwise vs liquid egg whites? the latter is expensive without the coupons on and off. Is there a happy medium between the two I can use to save money?

Top Bottom