• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

LaneDS

I know you lost 40 lbs in a month, and that is an accomplishment, but some of your advice I would say people should take with big grains of salt.

-Cigarettes as hunger suppressants. That one doesn't really need explaining. The vinegar is a good idea though.
-Cardio over weight lifting. I disagree. You might lose weight faster this way, but in the long run I'd say weight lifting over cardio will help your body composition out considerably.

Otherwise, good job (if a bit extreme, that's an unnatural amount to lose in one month's time). Time to lose 40 more! Just, y'know, without the cigarettes if you can help it.

PacoDG

Ettenra said:
Wow dude, insane speed! Be careful losing too fast, you can end up looking like a deflated tire. (loose skin)

You are right, exercise is pretty damn important (just *some* kind of it, I know even just if it was 45 min to an hour of a mixture cardio/muscle, I think that would keep things in perfect check)

LaneDS said:
I know you lost 40 lbs in a month, and that is an accomplishment, but some of your advice I would say people should take with big grains of salt.

-Cigarettes as hunger suppressants. That one doesn't really need explaining. The vinegar is a good idea though.
-Cardio over weight lifting. I disagree. You might lose weight faster this way, but in the long run I'd say weight lifting over cardio will help your body composition out considerably.

Otherwise, good job (if a bit extreme, that's an unnatural amount to lose in one month's time). Time to lose 40 more! Just, y'know, without the cigarettes if you can help it.

40 more!? I'll be happy if I get under 200 (which I really can do this week if I work hard). That $300 was the carrot on the stick to keep me going.

Apple cider vinegar = AMAZING. Can't recommend it enough, sadly if you Googl it, people say its a miracle cure for everything and blah blah blah, I dont' know about all that, all I know is if you have a capful once a day, you literally just won't get hungry (so you never feel as though you are starving yourself)

Lastly, you are completely right about the weight lifting over cardio, BUT, the thing is I was aiming for rapid weight loss over having a steady diet (again, I was just losing weight for a bet, but now that I won and my stomach is way smaller, I am kinda sticking to things a bit, and it "feels good man")

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
PacoDG said:
-Cigarettes, optional obviously

Nicotine does increase hormones that pull fat from fat cells for energy, so it reduces hunger (and a lot of other stuff). I wouldn't recommend using it, but if you must I'd recommend using nicotine gum over cigarettes. Without the social interaction, physical habit, smell, color, the brain doesn't associate as easily the effect with the gum, and the addiction is much weaker.

Even though nicotine makes it easier, insulin ultimately is the dominant hormone in fat metabolism. If you smoke and consume lots of flour and sugar, you'll probably still eventually become obese.

I'm 5'7 150lbs. I'm fairly toned. Always have been. Weight has never been an issue for me.

But I'd like to say congrats to everyone here who are on their way or have reached there. It can be done.

Guileless said:
Saw this on Times of London site. It's a useful and concise summary of how men should go about losing weight, echoing tehpwn's excellent advice re: insulin and carbs. Excerpt:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article7126284.ece

The main problem with this and what many others in general have said, is that low carb diets aren't, in the long term, realistic. They say cut out bananas, honey, grapes, etc..But they are all part a healthy balanced diet for most people who train

If you head to bodybuilders.com there are many threads where people suggest never to do EXTREMELY low carb diets because after about 6-12 months, your diet should include "sugary" foods such as fruits, honey, brown bread, rice and pasta, if you are training properly.

Again I'm shocked a national newspaper ran an article saying the body's need for carbs is zero, which scientifically might be true on paper but in the real world isn't realistic. Carbs aren't even bad for you if you control them, but depleting them from your diet isn't wise in the long run

It's about lifestyle changes, not a quick 3 month Sex & the City extreme diets that you'll yo-yo from and to after a few months

(this is all IMO from my own experiences losing and gaining weight on a pretty much 0% carb diet)

teh_pwn

Mecha_Infantry said:
The main problem with this and what many others in general have said, is that low carb diets aren't, in the long term, realistic. They say cut out bananas, honey, grapes, etc..But they are all part a healthy balanced diet for most people who train

If you head to bodybuilders.com there are many threads where people suggest never to do EXTREMELY low carb diets because after about 6-12 months, your diet should include "sugary" foods such as fruits, honey, brown bread, rice and pasta, if you are training properly.

Again I'm shocked a national newspaper ran an article saying the body's need for carbs is zero, which scientifically might be true on paper but in the real world isn't realistic. Carbs aren't even bad for you if you control them, but depleting them from your diet isn't wise in the long run

It's about lifestyle changes, not a quick 3 month Sex & the City extreme diets that you'll yo-yo from and to after a few months

(this is all IMO from my own experiences losing and gaining weight on a pretty much 0% carb diet)

Most low carb diets aren't meant to be permanent. For example, Atkins has several phases, and the last one basically is a matter of trial and error to see how much insulin you can handle. You add more and more healthier carbohydrates until you start gaining fat, then you reduce your carb intake a little and you eat that for life. Lot's of people don't know that about Atkins...

A lot of times low carb diets are meant to allow the body to heal so that we're insulin sensitive. When you're insulin sensitive, you can fuel off blood sugar and muscles/organs will accept it as energy. Some people hypothesize that insulin/leptin resistance isn't a result of all carbohydrates, but from fructose, very high glycemic starches, lectins from grains, and rancid polyunsaturated omega 6 fats from soy, corn, cottonseed. This is why some cultures can eat things like brown rice and sweet potatoes.

But I'm highly skeptical that there is any essential need for carbohydrates. Coca-cola may tell you that you need Gatorade to be a high performance athlete, and Nike may tell you that you need hundred dollar shoes to be a high performing athlete, but it doesn't make it true. There were very athletic tribes, like the Inuit and Eskimos, that ate almost entirely meat and didn't wear shoes.

I also am skeptical that a high performance athlete is healthy. They tend to get lots of injuries as they get older. Probably some light cardio and weight training is a better goal to hit.

LaneDS

PacoDG said:
You are right, exercise is pretty damn important (just *some* kind of it, I know even just if it was 45 min to an hour of a mixture cardio/muscle, I think that would keep things in perfect check)

40 more!? I'll be happy if I get under 200 (which I really can do this week if I work hard). That $300 was the carrot on the stick to keep me going.

Apple cider vinegar = AMAZING. Can't recommend it enough, sadly if you Googl it, people say its a miracle cure for everything and blah blah blah, I dont' know about all that, all I know is if you have a capful once a day, you literally just won't get hungry (so you never feel as though you are starving yourself)

Lastly, you are completely right about the weight lifting over cardio, BUT, the thing is I was aiming for rapid weight loss over having a steady diet (again, I was just losing weight for a bet, but now that I won and my stomach is way smaller, I am kinda sticking to things a bit, and it "feels good man")

How tall are you? Not sure if you said earlier.

And while I was mostly kidding about 40 more, you might actually want to do that over a long period (1-2 years) at a rate of about a pound per week.

Totally going to try the vinegar thing though, I had heard good things in the past and figure might as well give it a go.

I should post pictures in here, and might do so eventually. Lost over 50 lbs in the last year and have toned up considerably, but still looking to lose another 25 or so.

Mecha_Infantry said:

Training for a sport is much much different than training for health

Messi

Ettenra said:
Me 4-5 years ago, 295 pounds. (I'm 5'5'')

Chubbs.jpg

Me December 2009, 165 pounds. (Slouching and squinting :D )

Notsochubbs.jpg

I'm still working on the leftover lumpage. Probably about 20 pounds of fat left around my waist and on my thighs. The last part is the absolute hardest. Killing myself for such slow progress, the early part is a cakewalk in comparison.

Press on big dudes, it is worth it.

Wow big props to you man. you look like two different people. I started out slightly heavier than you but this is all the inspiration I need to keep me going. Seeing that all the hard work does pay off.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Mecha_Infantry said:
The main problem with this and what many others in general have said, is that low carb diets aren't, in the long term, realistic. They say cut out bananas, honey, grapes, etc..But they are all part a healthy balanced diet for most people who train.

I'm not a bodybuilder, but I assume that they need more energy in order to build and fuel muscle growth for its own sake. If you are a serious bodybuilder (or distance runner), you would need to consume carbs in order to satisfy the demands your day-to-day training. But if you're not, I don't see a reason why you need carbs.

I agree it requires a lifestyle change, not someone just switching to Michelob Ultra and eating Double Downs. But following a low carb diet (judged against the standards of the FDA Food pyramid) is just as realistic as becoming a committed bodybuilder who eats pasta often or consumes those weight gain shakes you can get at GNC.

Gilby

Guileless said:
I'm not a bodybuilder, but I assume that they need more energy in order to build and fuel muscle growth for its own sake. If you are a serious bodybuilder (or distance runner), you would need to consume carbs in order to satisfy the demands your day-to-day training. But if you're not, I don't see a reason why you need carbs.

I agree it requires a lifestyle change, not someone just switching to Michelob Ultra and eating Double Downs. But following a low carb diet (judged against the standards of the FDA Food pyramid) is just as realistic as becoming a committed bodybuilder who eats pasta often or consumes those weight gain shakes you can get at GNC.

I'm not a bodybuilder, but I do workout 5-6 days a week, including weight training. I avoid sugar and starchy carbohydrates. I eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning but then I'm done with grains for the rest of the day. People seem to think low-carb means no carbs at all, which is ridiculous. The fact is that most of society eats far too much sugary/starchy food everyday, and could easily cut back and be much healthier for it.

Eteric Rice

I'm really kind of scared of trying a low carb diet. I heard that shit makes your hair fall out faster.

I'm already losing hair, I don't want to lose it faster. :(

Blackface

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I'm really kind of scared of trying a low carb diet. I heard that shit makes your hair fall out faster.

You lose your hair in terms of dieting when you don't eat properly (like 0 carbs) and don't make sure you include the proper nutrition in a balanced diet.

When it comes to working out I suggest doing a mix of weight lifting and cardio. By just doing cardio you will lose weight, and feel healthier, but you won't gain back all the muscle you inevitably lose while dieting and trying to drop pounds quick.

Building some muscle will also mean clothes fit your frame better in the future and it will be much harder to gain back weight as your new muscles will consume as much carbs, protein etc.. as they can to continuing functioning.

Keep in mind I am not talking about bulking up and getting huge. You can lift weight to build lean athletic muscle as opposed to bulky powerful muscle.

Gilby

Blackface said:
Building some muscle will also mean clothes fit your frame better in the future and it will be much harder to gain back weight as your new muscles will consume as much carbs, protein etc.. as they can to continuing functioning.

I disagree with this specific point. Since I started getting in shape a few years ago it gets more and more difficult to find clothes that fit properly. It seems like most shirts were made for people shaped like rectangles. On the other hand, I guess baggy is better than too tight.

Gilby said:
I disagree with this specific point. Since I started getting in shape a few years ago it gets more and more difficult to find clothes that fit properly. It seems like most shirts were made for people shaped like rectangles. On the other hand, I guess baggy is better than too tight.
Pfft. Around here all the clothes seem to be made for fatties. Even size S are a little big on the waist. But I also see those 'rectangular' clothes often. Thanksfully the arms seem fine.

infiniteloop said:
Have you looked at this Primal Blueprint book/diet? What do you think of it?
It's a lot like the Paleo diet, but a little less restrictive. I'm just saying a general thing, for more information read his blog or buy the book.

Gilby said:

That can be really true. Some shirts will just fit odd and won't distribute properly. Worst case the front hangs in the air instead of falling straight down parallel to your body...which, from side profile, slants out like the hypotenuse of a triangle even though your stomach is flat and there's no gut there.

I have to buy shirts a size up and shrink them a lot.

infiniteloop said:

It's legit. I've been following a modified version for a few years now. I lost about 60 pounds and have easily maintained it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Quick tip for people who want to lose weight:

Cut refined carbs. Whole grain isn't that bad for you, the GI number is much much better and it converts to sugar much more slowly and fills you up faster than refined (white) carbs. Whole wheat bread, pasta, etc is a way to make a good substitution without having to completely change the way you eat. Cutting carbs is good, but the super low or no carb diets almost always lead to your will breaking and binging on carbs.

Anyway, I'm under 190 for the first time in about 6 years (6'2"). Just hit it today. I had ballooned up to about 218 last year and felt huge.. I got down to 208 over a 12 month period by controlling my diet and finally started lifting/running again about 2 months ago and have shed about 19 pounds since. I feel really really good and my blood pressure and resting heard rate are much better than they were.

I never got way over weight, but I certainly got pudgy. About 5 more pounds and I'll be back into super trim territory. Hopefully I can pull that off over the next few weeks before a girl I have a huge crush on moves back to town. We're going to the lake together and I'd like to look my best in swimtrunks.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
jonnybryce said:
That can be really true. Some shirts will just fit odd and won't distribute properly. Worst case the front hangs in the air instead of falling straight down parallel to your body...which, from side profile, slants out like the hypotenuse of a triangle even though your stomach is flat and there's no gut there.

I have to buy shirts a size up and shrink them a lot.

Dresh shirts are usually the biggest offender. Calvin Klein makes fitted "slim" shirts that work really well if you are skinny/defined. They won't work if your neck/pecs/arms are HUGE, but if you have a swimmers figure you'll be decent in them.

Guileless said:
Here is what Mr. Sisson's carb pyramid looks like, not sure if it's been posted before.

carbpyr.jpg

Where is the meat and dairy?

Eteric Rice said:

That's a myth.

Gilby said:

Actually, it's the other way around, tight looks better than baggy. Tight clothes fit right and a tailor can make short work of any ill fitting clothes. Don't let clothes stand in the way of looking the best you can

MjFrancis

hectorse said:
Where is the meat and dairy?
I was thinking the same thing!

I don't ascribe to any sort of food pyramid, but rather a food skyscraper. Green vegetables, nuts, beans, dairy and flesh are all important to me. One of my favorite meals would have to be a rare steak with a salad covered in beans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, a bit of cheese and some olives. Green salad too, none of that iceberg lettuce crap. May as well gnaw on damp copy paper if you're going to have that.

I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks by going low carb. I haven't taken a picture of me @182 but here I am at @188

IMG_0012.JPG

Price Dalton said:
That's just the vegetation/carb pyramid. He's big on meat and animal fat.

Right

I suspected that, Sisson is great info

_dementia said:
hey GAF, what are some good, efficient exercises i can do to lose weight?

HIIT (high intensity interval training)

Squats, deadlifts, presses and bench press.

Weight is a function of diet though, and your main focus should be on what you stuff your face with,.

Ultimatum

Banned
painey said:
im 5'10" and its looking like i'm gunna have to get down to about 150lb for a thin frame

4660766190_f4758c1c0f_b.jpg

I'd say cut down to 170 lbs, then start doing some weight training. Your body fat is obviously way lower (you've done a great job on that), but you need to build up some muscle now to tighten up your body and go for the look I assume you're going for.

Blackface

Banned
Gilby said:

You aren't shopping at the right places. Most high-end clothes stores, even semi-high end places will have slim cut and fitted shirts and the more proportional (V shaped) your frame is the better they will fit.

All clothes are designed to fit on the typical male model before they move into production (in terms of RTW lines). Male models all lift weights to make sure their body is proportional and athletic. Their waists are between 28-31 with 29 being typical. Obviously the average person isn't going to hit these measurements, but lots of closed are designed to fit on that V-shaped body.

That being said, if you don't know what you are looking for then all you will find is box cut shirts. Also, if you shop at more inexpensive places they will mostly be boxed cut, and you will need to buy a small size then you would normally.

Laekon

You can't get clothes at Old Navy, Kohl's or other low end stores that fits most people that are in shape. You have to step up to places like Banana Republic, The Express, or mid to high end department stores to get better fitting clothes. To not break the bank you just need to get smarter at shopping.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Laekon said:
You can't get clothes at Old Navy, Kohl's or other low end stores that fits most people that are in shape. You have to step up to places like Banana Republic, The Express, or mid to high end department stores to get better fitting clothes. To not break the bank you just need to get smarter at shopping.

That's what i plan to do when i loose the weight. I feel soo fat right now after seeing those pics and eating 6 slices of pepperoni pizza

Ettie

Messi said:
Wow big props to you man. you look like two different people. I started out slightly heavier than you but this is all the inspiration I need to keep me going. Seeing that all the hard work does pay off.

Thanks. I'm not usually a post-pictures-on-the-internet kind of guy, but looking at other people who had done it and watching Scooby's workout vids on youtube really helped me along, so I hate to be a hypocrite now :)

teh_pwn

infiniteloop said:

I read the first half of the book, skimmed the rest. Looked pretty good. Easy to read and good advice. Just watch the guy on youtube. He's approaching 60, but he's as fit as 20 year old. Clearly he's doing something right.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
painey said:
im 5'10" and its looking like i'm gunna have to get down to about 150lb for a thin frame
no way dude... 150lb is frankly going to be really thin.. not sickly thin, but yeah, that's REALLY thin. I'm 5'9" or so and I "should" be under 10% body fat at 155 (currently 161). anything under 10% body fat imho is generally considered "ripped".

from my experience, you get used to these huge weight drops from working out and it not looking like that much loss on the surface.. I mean just 20 pounds drastically reduced my gut. but in that experience, it doesn't work the same way when you get closer to your target weight. while 20lb might have gotten rid of your gut, it might only be 5lb to get rid of the love handles and potbelly.

also people that are losing 40+ pounds.... posture posture posture posture posture!!!!!! my wife was commenting on my belly the other day along the lines of "I thought you got rid of your beer belly?" and I looked and sure enough, my gut was sticking out.. I stood up straight and it went away. not sucking it in, not doing the old "she's walking by, INHALE!!". Just standing up straight. overweight people typically have horrible posture from carrying around all of that extra weight and the placement of fat on the body. you have to remember to work on your posture as you lose the weight. that's almost as important to your appearance as losing the weight itself!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm 5'8'' and the thinnest I have ever been was when I was 16 and running cross country at around 155 lbs. I can't imagine being much thinner than I was back then.

I really need to start with a decent weight loss program.

My weight is really getting me down. :lol

Thing is I don't drive and don't have any decent gyms nearby.

I know how important weight training is to weight loss so I have got a 16kg kettle bell. I plan on using this along with a 4.5 mile jog/walk to or from work every day.

Think this routine along with a smart diet would help me out?

jamieson87 said:

I know how important weight training is to weight loss so I have got a 16kg kettle bell. I plan on using this along with a 4.5 mile jog/walk to or from work every day.

yes! the most important thing is the diet though. What's your height/weight?

jamieson87 said:

Absolutely would help you out. You don't need a gym. Walk, do some sprints, and do bodyweight exercises (pushups, lunges, squats without weights, etc). Combine that with a lifestyle change where you start by cutting out (and then counting) a certain amount of calories, and transition into cutting out the bad stuff from your diet (soda, sugar, bad carbs, etc)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Guileless said:
Saw this on Times of London site. It's a useful and concise summary of how men should go about losing weight, echoing tehpwn's excellent advice re: insulin and carbs. Excerpt:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article7126284.ece

That article is about me. I've been gaining weight since last autumn, I don't know how many pounds, but about 15 kilos. And I feel... worse. I don't know how to explain it. Not enough energy anymore like something drags me down. Is it how you fell when you're gaining weight?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so finally instead of always giving advice (sorry bout that :lol ) I have a question for those of you down 40-50lb and close to your goal weight.....

do you have extra skin hanging around even at that "little" amount lost (compared to obvious situations of 100lb+)? I have been busting my ass trying to get rid of the excess around my waist and it's taking forever. I am down to around 161 at 5'9" and came down from 206lb which was in December. When I was bending over the other day getting dressed I noticed that my stomach kind of just "falls down" toward the ground when bent over, and I started wondering if there is really a bunch of fat still there or if it's in fact loose skin that I am simply going to have to wait to stretch back into place. any thoughts any of you might have would be very appreciated.

these last 5lb or so are kind of pissing me off... part of me wants to look at like a hydroxycut or something just to cheat out these last 5... but then part of me wants the satisfaction of knowing I did it all on my own just through cardio, weights and dieting. I am thinking my problem on these last 5 (I've only lost 2lb over the last month after losing 2lb a week for the 3 months before that) is that I'm seriously putting on muscle at a similar rate to the fat I'm taking off. currently benching 60lb dumbbells, curling 35lb dumbbells, squatting 100lb on the bar (so 145), etc. this compares to starting out in January of benching 30lb bells, curling 20lb bells, squatting 60lb on the bar, etc.

fwiw, I am 35 years old, and currently in THE BEST SHAPE of my life, and that's saying a lot considering I was starting pretty seriously into weight lifting back when I was 21 before I got injured.

good job guys and thanks for any thoughts on this loose skin thing you might have.

borghe said:
so finally instead of always giving advice (sorry bout that :lol ) I have a question for those of you down 40-50lb and close to your goal weight.....

do you have extra skin hanging around even at that "little" amount lost (compared to obvious situations of 100lb+)? I have been busting my ass trying to get rid of the excess around my waist and it's taking forever. I am down to around 161 at 5'9" and came down from 206lb which was in December. When I was bending over the other day getting dressed I noticed that my stomach kind of just "falls down" toward the ground when bent over, and I started wondering if there is really a bunch of fat still there or if it's in fact loose skin that I am simply going to have to wait to stretch back into place. any thoughts any of you might have would be very appreciated.

these last 5lb or so are kind of pissing me off... part of me wants to look at like a hydroxycut or something just to cheat out these last 5... but then part of me wants the satisfaction of knowing I did it all on my own just through cardio, weights and dieting. I am thinking my problem on these last 5 (I've only lost 2lb over the last month after losing 2lb a week for the 3 months before that) is that I'm seriously putting on muscle at a similar rate to the fat I'm taking off. currently benching 60lb dumbbells, curling 35lb dumbbells, squatting 100lb on the bar (so 145), etc. this compares to starting out in January of benching 30lb bells, curling 20lb bells, squatting 60lb on the bar, etc.

fwiw, I am 35 years old, and currently in THE BEST SHAPE of my life, and that's saying a lot considering I was starting pretty seriously into weight lifting back when I was 21 before I got injured.

good job guys and thanks for any thoughts on this loose skin thing you might have.
I've lost almost 80 - 260 to 180 basically - 6 feet tall. The last thing to go is always the belly, unless you lucked out in the genetics realm. I'm in great shape, running long distances, lifting a bit, and still losing, and yet it seems like the last 20 pounds or so have done nothing to reduce the midsection flab. Obviously I've lost a lot there...10 pant sizes at last count, and new pants I bought a few weeks ago are loose now, so it's working, but it's sloooooow progress on the stomach. You probably have both loose skin and some leftover fat. Genetics causes it to accumulate there.

teh_pwn

jamieson87 said:

Just want to echo that diet is by far the most important.

Exercise does help however. It's not so much the number of calories that you burn during the exercise, but the effect exercise has on increasing growth hormone, testosterone, and other hormones and how those hormones pull fat from fat cells and burn it off. However, if you're eating sugar and flour, your insulin will be high and insulin is the dominant fat metabolism hormone.

On that line of thought, you probably also want to get 7-8 hours of sleep per night to optimize hormone levels. Eat eggs, dietary fat so your body has plenty of cholesterol - the raw materials for hormones. All of those statin commercials are based on bad science, so don't worry about heart disease. It is triglycerides, which are created from excess blood sugar (carbs), that make LDL small and dense. That type of LDL is most associated with heart disease.

That article is about me. I've been gaining weight since last autumn, I don't know how many pounds, but about 15 kilos. And I feel... worse. I don't know how to explain it. Not enough energy anymore like something drags me down. Is it how you fell when you're gaining weight?

If the weight gain and fatigue is caused by insulin resistance, yes. In this scenario you may need 2000 calories per day to break even, but due to poor insulin sensitivity and high levels of insulin, your fat cells get 300 calories of energy (for example). So you either must overeat by 300 calories to feel normal levels of energy, or undereat and have your body reduce it's metabolism. Either way you get fatter.

By reducing sugar and grains in your diet, you can reverse this flow of energy internally, resulting in both high energy and fat loss.

Alrighty, my turn.

My almost 5 month "biggest loser" competition ended today with the 6 other guys I'm competing against.

We did a good format I think. Everyone had to contribute $100 and there were 6 categories where you can get between 1 and 7 points depending on your placing.

Percentage Weight Loss
# Chinups in two minutes
# Pushups in two minutes
# Situps in two minutes
1 Mile Run
Overall Appearance and Improvement determined by 3 judges based on before/after photos

First gets $400, 2nd gets $200, 3rd gets $100...and the bottom 4 have to chip in for supper for all contestants/judges.

And.......I Won! So I'm $400 richer. :D

It was a really good day and I pushed myself pretty hard and was in the top 2 for everything except for pushups which are just a weak area for me. A little embarrassing but here's my before/after pictures. I still plan to continue on though and drop maybe another 10 - 15 lbs and just continue on building up some muscle tone.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.JPG

Top Bottom