• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
New Haven Sandstorm said:
You're talking about how sleep loss can hinder weight loss, right? Not that the coffee/caffeine itself would cause weight gain. I'm about to drink a cup and it's after 11, but I know I'll get enough sleep (if that's what the bold part is addressing).

Yeah, I'm talking about the importance of sleep.

Sleep increases growth hormone, reduces cortisone.

dakster

Neo Member
Great thread!

loving the information on the low carb diet's too.

Just wondering for those of you who actively weight train, what does your weekly diet look like? Does anyone keep a copy in an online diary and mind posting it?

Also found a nice article that summarizes and advocate's low carb diets and health benefits, over low fat diets if anyone is interested.

http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/low-carb-dieting.html

DirtRiver

Ok guys I have some questions for you as someone who is starting his fat loss journey and his having some doubts about certain aspects.

Let me first say that I have learn a LOT from this thread. I now believe one of the reasons people get overweight is because they do not know what makes them gain weight. In this thread, I have learned more about food than in all my life.

So here are the questions:

1 - There are 4 things that are usually served that go with whatever I'm eating, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice or pasta. What are better alternatives to this?

2 - I get really hungry between lunch and dinner. I have tried a piece of fruit occasionaly but it doesn't seem to do much good, eating eggs, I used to eat a bowl of cereals or pieces of bread with butter but now it seems out of the question. How did you handle it?

3 - Also, I have heard that fat in general isn't all that bad but there is one kind of fat that is bad. Can you tell which is it and general sources of that kind of fat?

Thanks in advance and congrats to all you guys about your change :) I too expect to put some photos here soon. (English is not my main language)

DirtRiver said:
Ok guys I have some questions for you as someone who is starting his fat loss journey and his having some doubts about certain aspects.

Let me first say that I have learn a LOT from this thread. I now believe one of the reasons people get overweight is because they do not know what makes them gain weight. In this thread, I have learned more about food than in all my life.

1 - There are 4 things that are usually served that go with whatever I'm eating, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice or pasta. What are better alternatives to this?

2 - I get really hungry between lunch and dinner. I have tried a piece of fruit occasionaly but it doesn't seem to do much good, eating eggs, I used to eat a bowl of cereals or pieces of bread with butter but now it seems out of the question. How did you handle it?

3 - Also, I have heard that fat in general isn't all that bad but there is one kind of fat that is bad. Can you tell which is it and general sources of that kind of fat?

Thanks in advance and congrats to all you guys about your change :) I too expect to put some photos here soon. (English is not my main language)

1. Non-starchy vegetables. Potatoes are good for after workouts.
2. Eat more protein, which promotes better satiety.
3. Avoid industrial seed oils high in Omega 6 fatty acids - corn, soybean, sunflower, vegetable, etc. They are highly processed and usually rancid, but you can't tell because they're so refined. They're also very unstable, making them unsuitable for cooking or frying at high heats. Of course, most restaurants cook and fry with these fats on a regular basis. Trans fats should also be avoided. Anything with the words "partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated" on the ingredients label contains trans fats.

whitehawk

Banned
Kodiak said:
6'3"

and because of this thread I'm gonna have a bowl of kashi instead of cooking up that frozen pizza that's been taunting me every time I go to the kitchen.

edit: and the weight goal for me really isn't that important. It's much more about looking better, improving my confidence, and increasing my level of fitness.
190 is a good goal then. I'm about 6"3 and I weigh 195. I am in no way overweight.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I agree with Prince Dalton's thoughts. You can also try eating sweet potatoes since they are not as bad as white potatoes. Sweet potatoes fries are tasty. Just don't eat them a lot.

As you acclimate to not eating bread or cereal, your hunger pangs will dissipate. As for afternoon snack food, I like almonds and sunflower seeds.

Lee N

Membre
Lee N said:
Me two years ago (oh god...):

TfDMvPeFz.jpg

Me about a month ago (112 kilos here):

GdKjiSbvl.jpg

I figured it was time for an update, I'm down to 88 kilos (194 lbs) as of today.

LJhVxeJkw.jpg

Lee N said:
I figured it was time for an update, I'm down to 88 kilos (194 lbs) as of today.

LJhVxeJkw.jpg

Holy shit nice job dude.

While I didn't have as dramatic of a weight loss, I am proud that I have held on at about 161lbs down from 186lbs a year and a half ago. I'd like to drop down to the 150's though. I am 5'9"

Lee N said:

LJhVxeJkw.jpg

Your figure is dramatically better. Wardrobe moderately improved. Still unsure whats going on with your hair tho.

Lee N

Membre
hsukardi said:
How are you handling all the loose skin?
It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Sure, you can tell that I've lost a lot of weight, but hopefully that'll adjust nicely given time.

You guys should probably stop quoting my picture though, that's way too much me for one page.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
dakster said:
Just wondering for those of you who actively weight train, what does your weekly diet look like? Does anyone keep a copy in an online diary and mind posting it?
I don't low carb for weight training, I do low fat. while doing weight loss (currently) my diet looks like this:

days with weights and running
160g protein (mostly chicken and whey protein, some tuna)
280-300g carbs (mostly oatmeal, whole grain bread, veggies, pasta/rice, beans, some sugars like a can of non-diet soda)
40g fat I usually get fat from cooking with olive oil, or having popcorn as a snack made with coconut oil, or peanuts/nuts, etc. obviously there are some oils and meat in there also.

day with running, no weights
120-140g protein
240-280b carbs
30-35g fat

off days (no running or weights)
100-110g protein
150-170g carbs
20g fat

energy consumption currently is supposedly around 2000 cals for maintenance, and then throw around 920 cals on there for days with running and another 300 cals on there for days with weight training. so I basically try to do around 1000 cals/day deficit.. though I don't know if those numbers are still right given my current weight (160lb) as weight loss has slowed to a crawl (around 1lb each of the last two weeks, as opposed to an easy 2lb per week as recent as a month ago). Target weight is 155 (5'9) which will have me at a body fat percentage that I feel I could be happy with. after that calorie reduction goes bye bye and I focus purely on strength and racing pace/heartrate.

DirtRiver said:
olive oil, peanut oil, and coconut oil are all great types of oil to cook with (healthwise). if you absolutely have to use a "vegetable oil"-style high temp oil, pretty sure canola is the most acceptable one.

hsukardi

Lee N said:
It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Sure, you can tell that I've lost a lot of weight, but hopefully that'll adjust nicely given time.

You guys should probably stop quoting my picture though, that's way too much me for one page.

Yeah I'm just wondering how people losing weight here are handling the loose skin. Any other stories or comments from posters out here?

hsukardi said:
Yeah I'm just wondering how people losing weight here are handling the loose skin. Any other stories or comments from posters out here?

I have heard that coa-coa butter can help with that a bit. I don't think there's much else you can do to help the process other than surgery.

Polari

Lee N said:

OK, so this is the first time I have clicked on this thread, but I just have to say: awesome job dude. You look amazing. Ditching the beard and long hair was a good move too.

Lee N

Membre
Polari said:
OK, so this is the first time I have clicked on this thread, but I just have to say: awesome job dude. You look amazing. Ditching the beard and long hair was a good move too.
Thanks.

teh_pwn

DirtRiver said:

Pretty much agree what others have said about #s 1 and 2.

#3 Good fats:
Coconut oil
Fish oil
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Butter from Pastured Cattle (meaning they don't feed their cows grains)
Whole milk products (again, pastured cows)

The last 2 are things I learned more recently. It sounds absurd even to someone like me that's accepted that the conventional wisdom is wrong, but butter from cows has shown to be extremely good for the heart and a strong anti-carcinogen. Read about it in Stephan Guyenet's recent post:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/05/pastured-dairy-may-prevent-heart.html

It has to do with Conjugated Linoleic Acid content. Pastured cows have lots of it, and vitamin K2. I would imagine then the same thing holds true with animal fat in general...that meat from animals eating their natural diet tend to be healthy.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
When you guys are working out, do you go near the sports drinks or do you steer clear of it all?

I kinda had an epiphany over the weekend that while getting in shape won't necessarily make me happy, not being in shape is guaranteed to make me unhappy, so I've gotta change, I think. I don't really eat a lot as it is but it's usually frozen foods, etc, because of my work schedule. I've cut fast food down to essentially one day a week, which is better than it was a couple months ago, so now I think I'm going to start working to cut it out entirely. (I'm in retail management, and it's so easy to eat total shit because of the convenience.)

I also think that just getting to the gym a few days a week will go a long way to start off. Getting out and doing something is better than nothing, right?

My concern is going all-in to start. Last time I did that it was great for about 3 weeks and then I crashed and burned, haha. Back in high school I went from 250 down to 208, but then stopped caring and went even higher than 250. I won't say where I'm at now, but 250 would still be better than where I am now :lol

Anyways... hopefully you guys will see me back in this thread intermittently.

whytemyke said:
When you guys are working out, do you go near the sports drinks or do you steer clear of it all?

I kinda had an epiphany over the weekend that while getting in shape won't necessarily make me happy, not being in shape is guaranteed to make me unhappy, so I've gotta change, I think. I don't really eat a lot as it is but it's usually frozen foods, etc, because of my work schedule. I've cut fast food down to essentially one day a week, which is better than it was a couple months ago, so now I think I'm going to start working to cut it out entirely. (I'm in retail management, and it's so easy to eat total shit because of the convenience.)

I also think that just getting to the gym a few days a week will go a long way to start off. Getting out and doing something is better than nothing, right?

My concern is going all-in to start. Last time I did that it was great for about 3 weeks and then I crashed and burned, haha. Back in high school I went from 250 down to 208, but then stopped caring and went even higher than 250. I won't say where I'm at now, but 250 would still be better than where I am now :lol

My secret weight loss plan, and how I lost 100 lbs. : I cut out fast food and soda entirely, switched to skim milk, and started running a few days a week(I started at 1 mile per session, now I do about 3).

Eat anything instead of fast food. I personally eat a ton of eggs, they are delicious and quick to cook. I also buy a lot of whole grain tortilla breads, and make different kinds of wraps with them. They take 5 minuets to make, and are really good.

whytemyke said:

I don't know how you can loose nearly 50lbs and then just stop caring.

And Yes, sports drinks are terrible, energy drinks are terrible, stay away from all sugary drinks. I don't use anything to give me a 'boost' during a workout but if I did it would probably be an apple.

Messi

Here is another before and after pic, just for funsies even though im still losing weight. I also sorted out the brow situation! :D

Me 6 months ago, lying in bed.
2wdc6fk.jpg

Me just now, in relatively the same spot on my bed
2dvo4nd.jpg

Guileless

Saw this on Times of London site. It's a useful and concise summary of how men should go about losing weight, echoing tehpwn's excellent advice re: insulin and carbs. Excerpt:

2. Foods to avoid

It can be helpful to understand why your gut has been growing. Instead of viewing excess weight as a consequence of too many calories, some scientists have suggested it might be useful to consider it as a “disorder of excessive accumulation of fat in the body”. So what leads to this accumulation?

The hormone insulin is the chief driver of fatty accumulation in the body, promoting the deposit of fat in fat cells, while slowing fat breakdown. Foods that release substantial amounts of sugar into the bloodstream generally cause the body to secrete large quantities of insulin. In the short term, this can cause blood sugar levels to drop, leading to symptoms such as fatigue and cravings. In the long term, it can promote weight gain and increase the risk of conditions such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

Lowering insulin levels is, therefore, a key strategy for effective weight loss, and you need to beware of foods that cause the body to produce it. Fortunately, the extent to which a food destabilises blood-sugar levels can be measured and is expressed as its “glycaemic index” (GI).

Many starchy carbohydrates are very destabilising; indeed, many staples, notably cornflakes, wholemeal bread and baked potatoes, have GIs even higher than table sugar (sucrose).

Studies have shown that low-carb diets are most effective for weight loss, as well as having the most favourable effect on measures such as fat, sugar and insulin levels in the bloodstream. Adopting a low-carb diet means cutting down on, or possibly even eliminating, starchy foods as well as those that are rich in sugar, either naturally (eg, honey, fruit juice, bananas and grapes) or unnaturally (chocolate, biscuits and soft drinks).

Do not worry that your body will run short of the sugar it needs to fuel itself. Even if you ate nothing but protein and fat, the body has the capacity to convert both into glucose. It is a plain and simple fact that the body’s absolute requirement of carbohydrate is none at all.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article7126284.ece

Ultima_5

I haven't been posting in this thread, but over the last year I've been working on losing weight.

I realized my senior year in high school, I was considered obese weighting in at 232ish lbs, and being around 5'11''. I figured that losing weight would help me alot with the ladies when i got to college (I wasn't able to get anywhere w/ girls in hs).

Last summer I started eating better, and walking more (I started off going about a mile, and gradually increased to about 4 miles by the end of summer). By the end of the summer I had dropped 30lbs, and was no longer obese, just overweight! :D

Over the school year, I continued to walk, but not as regularly. Luckily, I was able to maintain my weight, and avoid the freshmen 15 :lol . The boost in confidence and the improvement in my body helped me get over my girl fear, and I started dating. Eventually the girl I was with broke up with me, and I got extremely depressed, and didn't eat for a week or so, and I dropped about 10 more lbs. I know it wasn't a healthy way to lose weight, but I've kept it off.

Now that summer is back, i've taken up my daily walking schedule, and I'm going about 8 miles a day. I take 2 separate 4 mile walks, and I feel great. My plan is to get to 175 by the end of the summer (im currently 189). I also plan on doing other excersies soon to build up muscle. Maybe start with push ups and sit ups. I'm not sure yet.

I just wanted to tell my story, and say that having an end goal (get healthy, and be more comfortable with women) was an amazing motivation. I wish everyone in this thread the best of luck, and congrats on all of your progress!

I keep reading this thread and looking at the pictures, the weight loss some of you have achieved is really inspiring. I've been struggling with my weight for a while. Really I'm not all that heavy... but the only reason I say that is because my friends, family, and girlfriend/ex constantly tell me I'm not. I'm currently 5'11" and 174 lbs - problem is it's all fat - I'm not built at all and am completely out of shape.

On a whim this last weekend I went to Warrior Dash; for those not in the know it's an event that travels around the country, a race, part of The Great Urban Race but in rural areas through mud and hills. A 3.4 mile obstacle course that you race through with about 500 other people at a time. Anyways, I went with some friends, camped out, had fun, but the race itself was killer I finished but it took me 44 minutes and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack half-way through (for reference my friends finished in about 26 minutes, the top speed was 16 minutes but I had to walk like 2/3 of the way). I don't like taking off my shirt, I'm just a soft mash of man boobs and love handles :lol - my stomach doesn't bulge out really but it's squishy. My arms are skinny, I don't even wear a watch because the band has to be adjusted to small it looks bad.

Thing is I used to be heavier, in early High School I was about 200lbs and an inch or two shorter. All the weight I've lost has been due to me completely cutting out non-diet beverages (except for beer) and generally just eating a LOT less food. I don't eat cookies, brownies, cakes, or stuff like that unless there's some sort of special occasion and I stopped going for double portions at dinner and stuff (though honestly, my appetite is very light, I fill up easily now-a-days for some reason, usually before I finish my entire plate).

I know if I started working out I could be a beast but I can't ever find the time to do it, I want to take up walking... maybe late at night outside as opposed to in a gym. I just don't know what I should be aiming for. Jogging will bog me down real quick, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up a jog for more than about a half-a-mile. Should I jog, walk, then jog or is just keeping a brisk walk good enough?

Okay, I'm inspired by you guys, I'm in!

IMG_0263.jpg

I'm 26, about 5'9 and at the moment around 184lbs.

Last year when I moved to a new home - the change in geography and a change from my mothers cooking immediately made me drop from 195lbs to around 168lbs in the space of a few months. My new diet was pretty poor though, and I felt absolutely shit all the time, I went to a doctor and after a blood test he said I wasn't clinically anaemic but that my iron levels suggested I needed a better diet and more iron in my diet. So I started eating more, particularly trying to eat more broccoli, red meat and stuff like that. I wasnt very good at sticking to that so at one point I resorted to iron supplements, which didn't actually play havoc with my bowels like everybody said it would!

These days I find that what I eat throughout the morning feels more important than what I eat in the evening. If I eat throughout the day I have better energy levels, but the choices of food I am eating are no doubt poor.

I wasn't alarmed by the weight gain until I recently passed the 13st mark again.

After reading about the effects of insulin in this thread, I'm convinced I'm eating too much GI heavy and sugary foods. I'm interested in trying a low carb diet. I've definitely noticed that sugary cereals and bread do no good at all for me.

Energy drinks like Monster and Mars Refuel - gotta be high sugar right? They're out I assume?
Which types of breakfast cereal are suitable? Porridge / oats / museli? God it sounds so boring already :'(

I can restrict / cut the following out:

- Soda
- Carrots / Parsnips
- Fruit juices
- Bread
- Sweetened Cereals
- Pizza (I'm a pizza addict, but I'll give it a ruddy good go)
- Jam (sometimes have this on toast for breakfast)
- Sugar in tea (I've been a 2 sugars guy until today)

My chief vices are probably salad dressing, the occasional snickers bar and the occasional pepsi/coke. I can ditch all of that starting now. I quite like corn on the cob and have that once or twice a week too.. is that a no no?

What pisses me off most about most fruit and veg is that you often either have to revisit the supermarket regularly to replenish stocks, or you buy it in one go and it perishes within a few days. I hate wasting food, as I often live just within my paycheck... does anyone have any tips on buying or making good food (ie. not bad food) that lasts?

I already have a lot of water. I cycle and get a fair bit of hill walking in on my commute to work.

What else can I do?

Ettie

Me 4-5 years ago, 295 pounds. (I'm 5'5'')

Chubbs.jpg

Me December 2009, 165 pounds. (Slouching and squinting :D )

Notsochubbs.jpg

I'm still working on the leftover lumpage. Probably about 20 pounds of fat left around my waist and on my thighs. The last part is the absolute hardest. Killing myself for such slow progress, the early part is a cakewalk in comparison.

Press on big dudes, it is worth it.

Ettenra said:
Me 4-5 years ago, 295 pounds. (I'm 5'5'')

[IG]http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad36/EttiesGafAccount/Chubbs.jpg[/IMG]

Me December 2009, 165 pounds.

[MG]http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad36/EttiesGafAccount/Notsochubbs.jpg[/IMG]

I'm still working on the leftover lumpage. Probably about 20 pounds of fat left around my waist and on my thighs. The last part is the absolute hardest. Killing myself for such slow progress, the early part is a cakewalk in comparison.

Press on big dudes, it is worth it.
How did you do it?

Ettie

mysticwhip said:
How did you do it?

I did 30 mins of cardio in the morning, 30 mins in the evening, and ate less than my BMR** daily, for the first 50 pounds. When you're really heavy, your BMR is so high that you can make progress and still eat quite a bit.

After that I started grad school and moved to a town with a 5k track. So I walked that five days per week and continued to undercut my BMR, which was being raised by my increased activity level. That got me down to 200.

I started alternating walking and jogging, until I could jog the whole 5k. Started to be really slow going about 180, I just slogged it out until I got to 165.

I didn't change any of what I ate or follow any special diet, but I did strictly control my portion size and that informed my food choices.

**BMR is the amount of calories you burn in a day just taking up space. I'm not a certified professional or anything, but it stood to reason that eating less than that number + cardio would cause weight loss. There are calculators all over the internet. It gets harder to stay under BMR, and less healthy, as your weight goes down.

Ettenra said:
I did 30 mins of cardio in the morning, 30 mins in the evening, and ate less than my BMR** daily, for the first 50 pounds. When you're really heavy, your BMR is so high that you can make progress and still eat quite a bit.

After that I started grad school and moved to a town with a 5k track. So I walked that five days per week and continued to undercut my BMR, which was being raised by my increased activity level. That got me down to 200.

I started alternating walking and jogging, until I could jog the whole 5k. Started to be really slow going about 180, I just slogged it out until I got to 165.

I didn't change any of what I ate or follow any special diet, but I did strictly control my portion size and that informed my food choices.

**BMR is the amount of calories you burn in a day just taking up space. I'm not a certified professional or anything, but it stood to reason that eating less than that number + cardio would cause weight loss. There are calculators all over the internet. It gets harder to stay under BMR, and less healthy, as your weight goes down.

Yeah, I don't think you need to drop 20 lb at all. Your fat is showing because you don't have muscle. The next logical step is to pack some muscle.

Congratulations, you are a skinny dude :D

Time to become a strong fit dude :D

jenov4

Houston3000 said:
I know if I started working out I could be a beast but I can't ever find the time to do it, I want to take up walking... maybe late at night outside as opposed to in a gym. I just don't know what I should be aiming for. Jogging will bog me down real quick, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up a jog for more than about a half-a-mile. Should I jog, walk, then jog or is just keeping a brisk walk good enough?

Dude, just do whatever you can. Get out there and be active. Aim for a short jog, and if you're tired, walk a little. Basically, increase the distance and keeping a log of everything you've done so that you can keep up. If there's a local walk/run club, join that... the journey always begins with the first step.

I couldn't make it to the first lamp post outside my house the first time I went out, and now I'm a 2x Boston Qualifier, 1x Ironman finisher. :)

Messi said:
Here is another before and after pic, just for funsies even though im still losing weight. I also sorted out the brow situation! :D

Me 6 months ago, lying in bed.
2wdc6fk.jpg

Me just now, in relatively the same spot on my bed
2dvo4nd.jpg

Keep up the good work

and get yourself to a gym. Become a Monster

EzLink

Banned
Down from 242 at the beginning of the year to around 205 now :D

The compliments are starting to ramp up, as is my confidence, as is my determination to lose the last 25 lbs and unleash the sexy lady killer within

hell yes

low carb dieting for the massive fucking win

EzLink said:
Down from 242 at the beginning of the year to around 205 now :D

The compliments are starting to ramp up, as is my confidence, as is my determination to lose the last 25 lbs and unleash the sexy lady killer within

hell yes

Have you felt lousy or anything?

EzLink

Banned
hectorse said:
Have you felt lousy or anything?

Hell no. I truthfully have never felt so energetic in my life. The first week or so I felt abnormally weak and exhausted when I would workout, but now I'm kicking ass at the gym and feeling great throughout my days

Not used to not being so lethargic. But its fucking great

Guileless

radioheadrule83 said:
What else can I do?

Abstain from the list of items you posted and you'll be on the right track. As for shopping and cooking, it is time consuming when compared to microwaving a box of chemically preserved stuff you bought several months ago or having pizza brought to your door. But once you start preparing your own food and paying attention to what you consume, it will not seem like a chore and you might even enjoy the process.

Starchy vegetables like corn aren't ideal, but an occasional indulgence isn't going to derail your efforts. Corn on the cob with butter tastes so good it's probably worth the carbs every once in a while.

Guileless said:
Abstain from the list of items you posted and you'll be on the right track. As for shopping and cooking, it is time consuming when compared to microwaving a box of chemically preserved stuff you bought several months ago or having pizza brought to your door. But once you start preparing your own food and paying attention to what you consume, it will not seem like a chore and you might even enjoy the process.

Starchy vegetables like corn aren't ideal, but an occasional indulgence isn't going to derail your efforts. Corn on the cob with butter tastes so good it's probably worth the carbs every once in a while.

agreed. You can probably occasionally indulge on the pizza and corn. But If you're serious about the diet then you should ban all drinks except water and milk, and ban sugary cereals, and ban jam. All Bran or Oatmeal are better choices. You can never have too much fiber.

Hela

Might as well post this:

porwnanieaaaa2aaaa.jpg

This was my change last year - from right 95kg (209lbs) to left 72kg (158lbs). I'm 6', have never been to a gym, did all that in about 7 months with a good diet and a little bit of exercise with 3kg (~7lbs) dumbbells.

nomster

EzLink said:

Congrats, I'm nearly in the same boat (238 to 210 in the past three months). The low carb thing has been a total revelation for me. I didn't follow any specific diet, I had just read Good Calories, Bad Calories, which was recommended somewhere here and combined the low carb idea with exercise. That book really clicked with me. It's pretty amazing how energetic I feel despite only consuming occasional carbs.

teh_pwn

nomster said:
Congrats, I'm nearly in the same boat (238 to 210 in the past three months). The low carb thing has been a total revelation for me. I didn't follow any specific diet, I had just read Good Calories, Bad Calories, which was recommended somewhere here and combined the low carb idea with exercise. That book really clicked with me. It's pretty amazing how energetic I feel despite only consuming occasional carbs.

Once insulin lowers and glucagon is no longer hindered, the body uses primarily free fatty acids for fuel (which cycle between fat cells and the blood stream). And when you're overweight, you have abundant free fatty acids and therefore plenty of energy all of the time. If you're insulin resistant and eating a high carb diet, your cells starve unless you overeat.

PacoDG

From April 12th to Today, my weight started at 242.2lbs - This morning I weighed 206lbs (and that photo below is taken 20 minutes ago, I actually haven't had a picture since I went on this diet till today, fuck my head looks skinny.. in comparison to my fat head that is)

Almost 40 pounds in just over a month isn't too shabby (and i'm still in the process of going down)

qzrn9j.jpg
w0ne9w.jpg

MY WINNING* DIET - Seriously, I broke shit down to the basics and just made sure to stick with it.

-No soda, and most sugars (that were unnatural) were pretty much cut. Drink ONLY water and unsweet tea (though I did break diet on one weekend and drank, it was stupid and fucked me up on my third week of the diet... BUT.. you should treat yourself at least one or two times a month to something)
-Celery = BEST FUCKING FRIEND. You'll eat it and get sick of it, but it is pretty much a dieters friend.
-Cigarettes, optional obviously, but I chose to pick up the cancer stick again to help with that hunger suppressing.
-Apple Cider Vinegar. Literally just a capful in the morning will also kill hunger (in a good way, just make sure to dilute before drinking, just a capful tastes god awful, but that doesn't matter, dilute it because it's 5% acidity
-Exercise - I only have gone to a gym 3 times, and all three times I did mostly muscle shit, when I really should have just stuck with cardio. Either way, I only went 3 times, BUT.. I feel those 3 times made a difference.
-Will power. stick with it. FOCUS!
-One a day pills. Invest in some, even if it's fucking Flintstones vitamins, YOU NEED THEM (if you are going to do some rapid weight loss like I did)

I was in a bet with 3 guys at work, $100 each, I was fucking determined for the month. However, the diet ended, I won, but I'm still losing weight, once you get that initial water weight off, then drop about 10 more pounds after that.. you will be in the zone and eating kids meals and salads everywhere, its awesome

Ettie

PacoDG said:
From April 12th to Today, my weight started at 242.2lbs - This morning I weighed 206lbs (and that photo below is taken 20 minutes ago, I actually haven't had a picture since I went on this diet till today, fuck my head looks skinny.. in comparison to my fat head that is)

Almost 40 pounds in just over a month isn't too shabby (and i'm still in the process of going down)

qzrn9j.jpg
w0ne9w.jpg

MY WINNING* DIET - Seriously, I broke shit down to the basics and just made sure to stick with it.

-No soda, and most sugars (that were unnatural) were pretty much cut. Drink ONLY water and unsweet tea (though I did break diet on one weekend and drank, it was stupid and fucked me up on my third week of the diet... BUT.. you should treat yourself at least one or two times a month to something)
-Celery = BEST FUCKING FRIEND. You'll eat it and get sick of it, but it is pretty much a dieters friend.
-Cigarettes, optional obviously, but I chose to pick up the cancer stick again to help with that hunger suppressing.
-Apple Cider Vinegar. Literally just a capful in the morning will also kill hunger (in a good way, just make sure to dilute before drinking, just a capful tastes god awful, but that doesn't matter, dilute it because it's 5% acidity
-Exercise - I only have gone to a gym 3 times, and all three times I did mostly muscle shit, when I really should have just stuck with cardio. Either way, I only went 3 times, BUT.. I feel those 3 times made a difference.
-Will power. stick with it. FOCUS!
-One a day pills. Invest in some, even if it's fucking Flintstones vitamins, YOU NEED THEM (if you are going to do some rapid weight loss like I did)

I was in a bet with 3 guys at work, $100 each, I was fucking determined for the month. However, the diet ended, I won, but I'm still losing weight, once you get that initial water weight off, then drop about 10 more pounds after that.. you will be in the zone and eating kids meals and salads everywhere, its awesome

Wow dude, insane speed! Be careful losing too fast, you can end up looking like a deflated tire. (loose skin)

Top Bottom