• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

B-Ri

tumblr_lv0pz8Gly41qh9vjso1_500.png

Progress, I bought these jeans in London at the height of my weight, an they were tight, now? The picture speaks for itself, I have to wear belts now

I have full body before pictures, but I am waiting another month or 2 before I post them with the afters. This is one of many things in the last week that I've come to realize, really big changes

omgkitty

I'm glad someone out there understands.
I just eat them. I mean to put them on salad but I just eat them. :[

For lunch every day I usually have cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, a little bit of ranch, turkey sausage and these onions all mixed together. It's so damn good. I used to use hotdogs, but they aren't great for you.

Chorazin

tumblr_lv0pz8Gly41qh9vjso1_500.png

Progress, I bought these jeans in London at the height of my weight, an they were tight, now? The picture speaks for itself, I have to wear belts now

I have full body before pictures, but I am waiting another month or 2 before I post them with the afters. This is one of many things in the last week that I've come to realize, really big changes

Awesome! My pants are literally falling off me, thank goodness I have a belt, although I'll need to get a new one soon, I'm on the last notch in!

I was lucky a few months back and a local Dickie's Outlet was going out of buisiness and I was able to buy numerous new pairs of jeans for $5 in various sizes going down from my current. The next size down is just a bit too tight yet, but I'm excited to wear them!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I'm still on low carb. Some days I do 0, some I do 20, 25, maybe 45.

On some of these days I'm eating 600 or even 1200 calories below my BMR. Is this ok on low carb or no? Any sources to back your answer would help a ton.

dejay

Banned
Put on 2kg last weekend - lost 2.5kg since then! I've found I can have a crap load of beer and crap and still be able to lose weight during the week.

I think I'll break 86 kg tomorrow morning. Although I weigh myself every morning, I've stopped graphing my weight. I'm pretty much at maintenance levels - I'll allow another three or four kilos to fall off slowly before looking at upping my consumption if my weight drops off too much.

Anyone know what happened to the low carb megathread #4 on SA? No new posts for several weeks.
Is there a new one?

It's locked - some fighting between the thread's faithful and FYAD, along with some paranoid accusations, seems to have killed it. Really there wasn't much more I could get from it anyway - it was becoming a real shit fight.

The thread OP's last activity was last month but I think he's pissed and may not be coming back.

Are any low carb folks doing cheat days? If so, what are you doing? A cheat meal? A cheat day?

And what are ya'll doing for the holidays? Thanksgiving is coming up. If I go to my girl's family, and don't eat something from every dish they make, they may try to castrate me.

Akim

Banned
Are any low carb folks doing cheat days? If so, what are you doing? A cheat meal? A cheat day?

And what are ya'll doing for the holidays? Thanksgiving is coming up. If I go to my girl's family, and don't eat something from every dish they make, they may try to castrate me.

cheat week

LosDaddie

Banned

It's perfectly fine to have a Cheat Day once a week. I've been doing it since I started my diet and have kept losing weight.

Yeah, I came to ask the same question.

I'm most likely going to cheat Thurs-Sat. No reason to fight it. I have family coming to stay at my house, and I'm just not going worry about my diet. I'm going to enjoy family & friends.

Now, I'm not doing a full-on debauchery like I do on my weekly Cheat Day, but I'm not going to worry about what I eat, either.

It's perfectly fine to have a Cheat Day once a week. I've been doing it since I started my diet and have kept losing weight.

Yeah, I came to ask the same question.

I'm most likely going to cheat Thurs-Sat. No reason to fight it. I have family coming to stay at my house, and I'm just not going worry about my diet. I'm going to enjoy family & friends.

Now, I'm not doing a full-on debauchery like I do on my weekly Cheat Day, but I'm not going to worry about what I eat, either.

Has that slowed your overall weightloss? I'm still losing weight, but I'm thinking if I don't do a cheat day, I will literally kill someone.

LosDaddie

Banned
Has that slowed your overall weightloss? I'm still losing weight, but I'm thinking if I don't do a cheat day, I will literally kill someone.

Not at all. I've kept pace, losing ~1 lb a week, sometimes 2 lbs, which is fine because I'm also weight lifting / exercising. You don't want to lose weight too quickly.

And hey, my weekly Cheat Day is my ticket to sanity. Gives me something to look forward to, meal-wise, as well. Just a full day of eating whatever I want (and I love unhealthy food) and drinking whatever I want (beer, soda, etc).

But you must keep it to 1 day a week

Not at all. I've kept pace, losing ~1 lb a week, sometimes 2 lbs, which is fine because I'm also weight lifting / exercising. You don't want to lose weight too quickly.

And hey, my weekly Cheat Day is my ticket to sanity. Gives me something to look forward to, meal-wise, as well. Just a full day of eating whatever I want (and I love unhealthy food) and drinking whatever I want (beer, soda, etc).

But you must keep it to 1 day a week

Yeah, when I started induction I dropped like 15 pounds in the first month. Now I'm probably losing about a pound to two pounds a week. Still doing the see-saw thing. But it seems like every week I end up lower than I was. So that's good.

Thanks for the response. I know the rest of this week is going to be hard cause of family and everything. Christmas will be the same.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yeah, when I started induction I dropped like 15 pounds in the first month. Now I'm probably losing about a pound to two pounds a week. Still doing the see-saw thing. But it seems like every week I end up lower than I was. So that's good.

Yup. Same here. I'd say I "gain" a pound, or two, over the weekend, but by Wedn (or Thurs), I'm at a lower weight than I was the previous week. And now I'm at 30 lbs lost. Feels good man :)

Thanks for the response. I know the rest of this week is going to be hard cause of family and everything. Christmas will be the same.

Yeah man. Cheating for these few days might mean I'll have to hit the diet & gym hard next week, but I'm fine with that. It's going to be a great weekdnd.

Dead

well not really...yet
As of today I've officially lost 60 lbs!

I started at the beginning of August, more or less and weighed about ~300 lbs. Today Im standing at 240!

I'm really tall (6'5"), so its always helped balance out the times Ive been heavy, but by last year and the beginning of this year, Im not sure how I could have allowed myself to reach the weight I did. But in August I decided enough was enough, something I should have done much earlier, but its never too late either way.

I've pretty much achieved this through staying 100% with a low carb eating plan, while still keeping 1 cheat day a week (after the first month and a half), as well as regularly going to the gym starting in my 2nd month. As of now Im going to start focusing a lot more on weight training as well. As far as my target final goal, I've been thinking 200-210 pounds, but thats something thats going to depend on the results of the weight training I do, and where I decide I want to head with that.

It's pretty crazy that even when I go to my usual food joints for a lunch or whatever, even they notice that I look way smaller than I did before :lol

I have to say Im really happy that I can finally shop normal clothes again. XL is the biggest size I end up having to wear now for shirts, sweaters, etc, and Im finally back at size 36-38 pants. For now at least. Im definitely not going crazy since im sure it will go down more and the stuff Im buying now will end up big as well (already happened to a few things I had to a buy a month+ ago) but I need new stuff for the season.

omgkitty

Dat muscle.

Well that's the thing. I haven't worked out at all during my entire diet. I have been staying mostly low carb, but have been eating out a lot and eating shitty food like McDonalds. I still seem to stay under my 100 carbs though. It's basically just been since Halloween that I seem to also eat a decent amount of candy as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Did P90 fat burning workout today in the morning. Been a while since I did one of those.
I think my stalling is partly due to not being consistently under 20g a day, but hopefully some activity will kickstart me.

I started at the beginning of August, more or less and weighed about ~300 lbs. Today Im standing at 240!

I'm really tall (6'5"), so its always helped balance out the times Ive been heavy, but by last year and the beginning of this year, Im not sure how I could have allowed myself to reach the weight I did. But in August I decided enough was enough, something I should have done much earlier, but its never too late either way.
Good stuff man.

Funny reading the posts about cheat meals/days/weeks.
Why not just adopt a lifestyle that you can live happily with?

If you have to look forward to Sunday to not be miserable, then that's six shitty days each week you live through. I'm not saying you are all miserable with your diet, but it seems some of you are. Perhaps I'm just misreading, in which case, no harm no foul.

If you have to look forward to Sunday to not be miserable, then that's six shitty days each week you live through. I'm not saying you are all miserable with your diet, but it seems some of you are. Perhaps I'm just misreading, in which case, no harm no foul.

I love waking up to bacon sausages and eggs.

LosDaddie

Banned

:lol

Definitely not miserable, at all. In fact, my diet isn't that much different compared to before I got serious about losing weight. I just eliminated snacking and carbs here & there, and that's really about it. (and of course, be more consistent in exercising)

My problem is that I just love unhealthy food. Burgers, fries, pizza, fried chicken, chicken wings, soda, candy, beer.... ALL THAT SHIT. I FUCKING LOVE IT. And I used to be able to eat it without gaining weight when I was younger.

My diet now is sustainable for the long run. But you know, I kinda like having a day where I can eat all that unhealthy stuff and not hate myself afterwards. :) Definitely a lifestyle I can (and do) live happily with.

Man you guys are a really hardcore crew about the carbs. I've actually had really good luck with just increased exercise and swapping over from white bread, rice, pasta to whole grain, brown rice, whole wheat pasta. I think I just spent too long cutting weight in High School / College wrestling to really want to watch over my food intake that hardcore. I've never really eaten junk though, so I guess I was starting off from a pretty good base.

I'm well over 50 carbs before I even walk out the door in the morning (two pieces of whole grain toast with peanut butter and a dash of honey). Luckily I'm headed out for a 7 mile run most mornings so I seem to have no issues burning it off. The running has been really good to me though, I don't have a big a drop as others, but I've gone from 174 to 155 in just about 3-4 months of increased running. Feels good.

I've pretty much achieved this through staying 100% with a low carb eating plan, while still keeping 1 cheat day a week (after the first month and a half), as well as regularly going to the gym starting in my 2nd month. As of now Im going to start focusing a lot more on weight training as well. As far as my target final goal, I've been thinking 200-210 pounds, but thats something thats going to depend on the results of the weight training I do, and where I decide I want to head with that.

It's pretty crazy that even when I go to my usual food joints for a lunch or whatever, even they notice that I look way smaller than I did before :lol

I have to say Im really happy that I can finally shop normal clothes again. XL is the biggest size I end up having to wear now for shirts, sweaters, etc, and Im finally back at size 36-38 pants. For now at least. Im definitely not going crazy since im sure it will go down more and the stuff Im buying now will end up big as well (already happened to a few things I had to a buy a month+ ago) but I need new stuff for the season.

Congrats, man. I've lost about 30 in the same amount of time. What are you eating?

dralla

shieeeeet, i hit the plateau, only about 10-12 pounds away though, im stuck at 152 (@5'9"). i've been doing the low glycemic diet instead of straight up no carbs, but i think starting friday im going to cut out all fruit, my whole wheat wraps and snack bars. im hoping this will get me down to 140 and will go back to the low glycemic afterwards. i know i won't be able to sustain no carb so the LG is pretty much perfect for me. What are some good snack foods to eat for no carbs? I'm already stocked up on almonds, what else is good?

low-G

That is an amazing amount to lose in that amount of time and at that starting weight. About how many calories are you eating on non-cheat days? In that same time period I went from 312 to 265.

Exactly.
I love what I eat, and look forward to each meal. I don't miss the carbs at all. Makes sticking to plan super easy too.
And that's fine, but sometimes I want to eat a delicious candy bar or ice cream. The problem is keeping it to that one day. I suppose it's playing with fire. Eating low carb is definitely not torture for me;it's great! I just like to enjoy all that other stuff, too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I ain't even guilty.

I had some soda, sweet potatoes, stuffing, and that was about it for carbs.
Also pie and a fruit tart.

TheExodu5

Banned
I had 5 fajitas and 1000 calories worth of apple crumble (with caramel sauce).

Thankfully, going on the diet in the first place kick started my metabolism like crazy. I've been cheating non stop for the past 2 months, and I've still gone down 5 pounds. I mean, I know I can't keep cheating and I need to eat a bit better, but it's still surprising. I'm back to where I was pre-20s (could eat anything I wanted and not gain).

I took a total carb holiday yesterday, gorged on roast potatoes and stuffing and cherry pie with ice cream and custard. Felt good man! +3lbs on the scale this morning, but that'll come back off over the coming week.

alternade

I was good yesterday! No stuffing, no turkey, no pie! Just a chicken salad and a yogurt. My trainer is kicking my ass still. My abs hurt like a bitch.

LFG

Neophyte
I gained three pounds on the scale. Went from 172 to 175.

Had a little turkey but mostly heaps of various casseroles! So good. And a slice of ice cream cake. Left overs tonight and another slice of cake is the plan for dinner. Then back at it! Not feeling guilty at all. Its my once a year food holiday.

dantehemi

guys im obese. im 6'2" and i have to be close to 400 lbs (380 would be my guess) i wear size 48-50 jeans.

i have been healthy and in shape before (about 3 years ago) i was about 230 lbs and had muscle.

it might sound weird, but i know what to do once i reach the 290-300 lbs mark. but what is killing me now is the starting point. im adicted to junk food and take out, eating 3 burgers and a large pop from a burger joint is just a average visit.

low carb is not an option, i work construction and need the energy during the day (i have tried the low carb thing and its killer trying to do manual labor while doing it)

can anyone offer some advice? what should i do to get the ball rolling? im really at a loss, and need to change the way i live. i know the answer is gonna be simple as in eat 3 meals and 3 snacks spread out across the day.

i have some knowledge in the whole nutrition/workout lifestyle, i guess what i am asking the most is how did you guys get motivated? what are some tips and tricks that were used to achieve your goals? is there some essential reading online or off that might benifit my cause?

thanks for any advice.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
guys im obese. im 6'2" and i have to be close to 400 lbs (380 would be my guess) i wear size 48-50 jeans.

i have been healthy and in shape before (about 3 years ago) i was about 230 lbs and had muscle.

it might sound weird, but i know what to do once i reach the 290-300 lbs mark. but what is killing me now is the starting point. im adicted to junk food and take out, eating 3 burgers and a large pop from a burger joint is just a average visit.

low carb is not an option, i work construction and need the energy during the day (i have tried the low carb thing and its killer trying to do manual labor while doing it)

can anyone offer some advice? what should i do to get the ball rolling? im really at a loss, and need to change the way i live. i know the answer is gonna be simple as in eat 3 meals and 3 snacks spread out across the day.

i have some knowledge in the whole nutrition/workout lifestyle, i guess what i am asking the most is how did you guys get motivated? what are some tips and tricks that were used to achieve your goals? is there some essential reading online or off that might benifit my cause?

thanks for any advice.

If you don't want to go low carb, you can still clean up your carbs. Cut out all the soda and all the other caloric drinks; this is super important. They aren't giving you energy, they're making you insulin resistant and hungry an hour later and converting straight into fat. Cut out the french fries and chips and whatever else, too, but don't go hungry, just focus on eating "clean," as in real food every time you're hungry.

Meal time? Have that burger, but get an unsweetened tea or a bottled water instead of the soda, and cut out the fries (which aren't filling at all but are often almost as many calories as the burger, which is generally much more filling).

Going hungry is bad. When you have 100+ pounds to lose, there's no way you can maintain willpower to be fighting hunger pangs for like two years straight. Just cut out the things you're eating that aren't addressing your hunger, and your calories will go way down without your satiety going down.

If you're doing that and living an active lifestyle with your career, you should be able to head in the right direction.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Because my mother and whole family treat me like shit. At my aunt's house if i am standing up somewhere trying not to be in the way someone has to scream at me at doing nothing and i should help. So if i am help i am told i am doing it wrong i should go over there. Then I am watching my cousins play some video games eating some of the chips and dip and i am talk down to not to eat all the chips leave some of everyone. So that point i left to hell with them and thanksgiving. I turned off my phone so no one will call me and went home. Stayed home didn't eat anything and mostly stayed in bed yesterday. Then today i woke up in the afternoon walked downstairs and looked into the fridge to get some breakfast then comes my mother's voice telling me the leftovers are not for me because i was so antisocial and left the thanksgiving dinner. I did not even know there were leftovers i just wanted some oats and milk. I went to a rage told her off went upstairs typed that message on gaf took a shower and went to the supermarket. I didn't get any pie or ice cream, just some one choice dinners some fruit, whole wheat bread. I already know my asshole family will probably eat all of that up before the middle of next week. Sometimes i feel like eating a bullet than pie or ice cream.

Remember this guy? from this thread LOL
310414_2315711215839_1341211978_2685223_6233936_n.jpg

That was him at 235lbs.

My brother is down to 188

379447_863432178137_30606056_39664771_1380652547_n.jpg

I have had him on a low carb diet since September 11th 2011. Hes gone down tremendously.

I promised him abs by next spring.

Im doing low carb too, I am expecting some new pics by the end of December =D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

thanks for any advice.

The first most important step is to do what EviLore said - cut out the excess junk. I did this the first time during high school graduation and it helped me lose 60lb in 3 months. I didn't stop eating my deep-fried breaded chicken breast from Safeway as my lunch, I didn't stop having my nightly bowl of cereal, but I cut out all junk food snacks and made water my only liquid.

Despite the success that IF, low carb/paleo, and heavy lifting have brought me, if there's one thing that I can say, with confidence, that helped me push through those methods and be where I am today, it's imagination.

Imagine/day dream about what you will look like if you lost 100 pounds. I did this at the very beginning of my journey and stuck to it to the point where it was fun to just sit there and day dream that I was a lean, handsome, and muscular guy. Day dreaming about what you want to look/feel like down the road if you start something now will be an amazingly helpful tool and it'll sure as hell get you motivated because you'll want to be the way you imagine your ideal self as so badly.

Remember this guy? from this thread LOL http://hphotos-iad1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/310414_2315711215839_1341211978_2685223_6233936_n.jpg[/MG]

That was him at 235lbs.

My brother is down to 188

[IMG]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/379447_863432178137_30606056_39664771_1380652547_n.jpg[IMG]

I have had him on a low carb diet since September 11th 2011. Hes gone down tremendously.

I promised him abs by next spring.

Im doing low carb too, I am expecting some new pics by the end of December =D[/QUOTE]9/11 changed everything, dude. Great work!

Bealost

thanks for any advice.

I'm just like you in the work department, I understand how hard it is to eat healthy when you work "on the road". You literally don't eat in the same place twice, or at the same time every day. It can be very hard to make good choices when your only choice is a sub shop.

In the same vein as EviLore said. The key to getting started is just making healthier choices. I went from drinking chocolate milk or orange juice when the crew went for coffee, to either 1% or whole milk (whichever the coffee shop has). Also it is still well within your power to control your dinner. I went from eating pasta/potato heavy meals to chicken and broccoli or a baked sweet potato.

Just be honest with yourself about how physical your day is being and eat accordingly. For instance today was relatively easy for me, so I ordered a salad with chicken in it for lunch. Last week I spent one day doing nothing but mixing cement all day in a wheelbarrow, 56 bags later and an entire large tuna salad sub, I was feeling fantastic! (although I did skip my workout that night).

Start small, get better as you go on, and soon enough you will be eating better and have more than enough energy to get home from work and still put a good workout in before you make your broccoli and go to bed.

Currently down to 200 from 260. GL man!

I really want to post my progress pics, but I'm still pretty self conscious, I promise I will when I hit 195.

Top Bottom