• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Bealost

For weight loss i'm mainly doing cardio, how much cardio should i be doing if i go 5-7 days a week?

I usually use an elliptical, or i'll use a treadmill, i usually switch it up.

The general consensus now is that an hour of weightlifting three times per week is far superior for weight loss than trying to do lots of cardio. I personally started with 3 days of weightlifting and cardio (running or swimming) on my off days. Lately I've been doing more/heavier weightlifting and a lot less cardio. "They" say doing lots and lots of things like running is bad for your joints, especially if you are overweight. Something to keep in mind.

In the end Zoe is right though. Weight loss/gain is really done in the kitchen. Sorting out your diet is, by leaps and bounds, the most important aspect of losing weight/being healthy.

I recently started playing floor hockey for two hours on Monday nights.
Talk about sweating my ass off! Two hours of running back and forth in a gymnasium, panting and wheezing. OMG! Water break!

After my first night of this I realized I had to start doing cardio so that I wouldn't get so "winded". I get on the stationary bike after just about every weightlifting workout now. I also browse gaf while on my phone on the bike, it makes the time fly by, so win/win!

So for me, cardio is all about performance, and nothing about weight loss.

Requiem

Has anyone here tried juicing? I just bought a Breville JE98XL and for the past week (not including Saturday) just been drinking straight juice and water whenever I get hungry/thirsty and lost 10lbs. It works so damn well and it's not as if your starving yourself either, just juice when you're feeling hungry/thirsty.

I should say that this is an exercise in willpower. The smell or even look of food can be enough to push you over the edge and indulge yourself. I definitely recommend this though especially to anyone looking to lose a good amount of weight in a short amount of time. I haven't even been going to the gym and the weight is literally dropping everyday.

Edit: Also this definitely isn't a longer term thing as there isn't any protein or carb intake. I plan on juicing for the month and then slowly re-introducing foods; kind of re-teaching myself how to eat and not over eat.

Has anyone here tried juicing? I just bought a Breville JE98XL and for the past week (not including Saturday) just been drinking straight juice and water whenever I get hungry/thirsty and lost 10lbs. It works so damn well and it's not as if your starving yourself either, just juice when you're feeling hungry/thirsty.

I should say that this is an exercise in willpower. The smell or even look of food can be enough to push you over the edge and indulge yourself. I definitely recommend this though especially to anyone looking to lose a good amount of weight in a short amount of time. I haven't even been going to the gym and the weight is literally dropping everyday.

Edit: Also this definitely isn't a longer term thing as there isn't any protein or carb intake. I plan on juicing for the month and then slowly re-introducing foods; kind of re-teaching myself how to eat and not over eat.

Depends what you're juicing, and what you're replacing the juice with. If you strictly drink nothing but veggie juice, then you're obviously cutting out 100% of the terrible processed carby sugary crap. If that's what it takes, good on you. I'd be concerned about not eating any/enough healthy fats however, and it's frankly not sustainable.

TheExodu5

Banned
All juicing does is remove fiber from your vegetables...that's not really a positive, in my eyes. I'd eat veggies and meat, at the very least.

Depends what you're juicing, and what you're replacing the juice with. If you strictly drink nothing but veggie juice, then you're obviously cutting out 100% of the terrible processed carby sugary crap. If that's what it takes, good on you. I'd be concerned about not eating any/enough healthy fats however, and it's frankly not sustainable.

If you're doing fruit juices, then you're still taking in a ton of sugar. Either way, it's not a sustainable diet. You might lose weight quickly, but I'd assume a considerable portion of that weight will be muscle mass due to a protein deficiency.

OG Kush

For weight loss i'm mainly doing cardio, how much cardio should i be doing if i go 5-7 days a week?

I usually use an elliptical, or i'll use a treadmill, i usually switch it up.

Have you tried the Insanity workout? You should really look it up. its a 2 month program, 6 days a week of cardio based workouts only using your bodyweights. I lost quite a bit of weight doing it (as well as having a decent diety, nothing amazin but decent) and my cardio improved a lot.

All juicing does is remove fiber from your vegetables...that's not really a positive, in my eyes. I'd eat veggies and meat, at the very least.

If you're doing fruit juices, then you're still taking in a ton of sugar. Either way, it's not a sustainable diet. You might lose weight quickly, but I'd assume a considerable portion of that weight will be muscle mass due to a protein deficiency.

Yup, that's why I said veggie juice. Fruit juice is just sugar water with some vitamins floating in it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Maybe a juice diet with eggs and chicken and bacon. And nuts. And cheese.

Sounds better to me anyway. As was said, get some fat and protein in your diet.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Maybe a juice diet with eggs and chicken and bacon. And nuts. And cheese.

Sounds better to me anyway. As was said, get some fat and protein in your diet.

The perfect juice diet would be one with bacon, eggs, cheese, meat, and veggies like you said minus the juice.

Perfect!

Doesn't juicing just basically reduce your caloric intake? I remember that silly movie, where the Aussie stopped eating tons of fast food, and lost weight miraculously. Basically he just stopped eating junk and took in less calories. Nothing magical about juicing, only it's much less fun to eat than eggs and bacon and meat.

ch0mp

Doesn't juicing just basically reduce your caloric intake? I remember that silly movie, where the Aussie stopped eating tons of fast food, and lost weight miraculously. Basically he just stopped eating junk and took in less calories. Nothing magical about juicing, only it's much less fun to eat than eggs and bacon and meat.
Yes, to practically nothing. Better off just eating what you're juicing.

Anyone have graphs they want to share? At the second bump of mine i started running about 40 minuets a day, and started P90X about a week ago. All while eating better and less portions.

Bealost

Anyone have graphs they want to share? At the second bump of mine i started running about 40 minuets a day, and started P90X about a week ago. All while eating better and less portions.

How nice of you to ask.

Graph.jpg

Weightloss has slowed recently. Starting to really get back into my diet though, so hopefully I can get rid of this last 20ish pounds soon.

Plasmid

If you're not doing HIIT, you should be doing anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour per session.

Most people are going to tell you that you need to lose weight through diet though.

I'm cutting shitty drinks and junk food, eating more healthy, cooking my own meals, i'm dieting, although not to a big extent, but anything cut is better than anything left.

I'm going to try HIIT today with an elliptical, i'm still getting into the whole attitude / mindset of being in a gym and not feeling like shit.

Have you tried the Insanity workout? You should really look it up. its a 2 month program, 6 days a week of cardio based workouts only using your bodyweights. I lost quite a bit of weight doing it (as well as having a decent diety, nothing amazin but decent) and my cardio improved a lot.

I'll look into it, i'm thinking about trying out couch to 5k.

Alright, so time for an update. I'm still not feeling great enough to post a full body shot, plus I don't have a 'before' body shot.

This is me at the start, it's from my driver' license. Actually I was 30 lbs heavier than this picture when I started:

312vkma.jpg

EDIT: Found a picture of me at 400 lbs with my wife. We're separated now :\ I miss her like hell.
98uj9k.jpg

This is me today, 100 lbs lighter and 3 1/2 months later. Doing low-carb, high protein, and tons of weight lifting and jogging:

5l798n.jpg

I'm halfway there!

Time for an update. Weight loss reeeallly slows down after that first 100! But I'm still keeping at it. Took this picture at work since it's the only place with a long mirror like that. Don't really know my weight since weighing myself can be discouraging due to working out. I can drop a pants size and still end up gaining weight due to muscle gain, so I tend to not go by that anymore.

new.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good stuff man.

I converted from my 45g to <25g carbs a day a few days back. I try to only weight myself once a week in the mornings after bathroom (good time?) and hopefully it it keeps going like this I'll be back on track.

OH YEAH. Seeing a 2lb drop feels so goooooooood.

Revoh

I hit my first plateau today. I was dropping around 2 lbs per week for 2 months. I weighed myself today and I noticed I haven't lost weight, happily I didn't gain any either.

10 kg lost, another 5 to go. :)

I hit my first plateau today. I was dropping around 2 lbs per week for 2 months. I weighed myself today and I noticed I haven't lost weight, happily I didn't gain any either.

10 kg lost, another 5 to go. :)
Your body is trying desperately to hold onto those last 5 kg. It's like some sort of internal power struggle. Keep at it, you'll win.

abuC

I have nothing but respect for everyone in this thread trying to lose weight, keep up the good work yall.

As for me Im 6"1 254lbs, body fat is about 17%, I started to lose weight over the summer but stopped since my back was bothering me. But now, Im going to give it another try, I don't really have a goal weight. I'd just like to get down to around 11% body fat while retaining as much muscle as possible, time frame doesn't matter much. Even though I have a so-so right knee I've decided to do some sprint work since I have a track near by, and will do cycling as well for endurance.

Caelus

Alright, this may seem unusual.

I'm 13 and undergoing puberty. The usual stuff, stretch marks, acne, more muscular body, depression etc. But I've always been overweight, and weight gain during puberty is not helping.

Fortunately, most of that weight is muscle and I have a slim figure, but oh god, my thighs are so incredibly huge from playing soccer, and the fat on my face jiggles everytime I jump up and down. I have a few questions:

1. Did you guys experience sudden or gradual weight gain during puberty? And if so...
2. Does it go away after a while? How long?

I'm trying to do 20 mins of cardio everyday and 60 minutes of exercise every other day, but I think the main factor is my South Asian diet, so many calories! But I know I can't skip the three essential meals, I can't starve myself during puberty! So far I've lost 5 pounds, once I lose ten I'll return to the average weight range, and then I'll have to work on toning my muscle.

As for my lifestyle, I usually stand up and do jumping jacks while watching TV, I never use the elevators (I'm claustrophobic), and I always take the longest routes on my daily commute to do exercise. I hope I'll be slim and muscular in a month.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just got fatter. Eat less when you hit 6' or something. I dunno. I was like 5'9" at 14 with a mustache.
Should probably try talking to your doctor about it.

First step I'd say is to cut out soda and what processed foods you can (aka school lunch in some countries). Then really count your food intake and calories and see what you eat over the course of a week. This can shape the rest of your life and give you perspective so I suggest you really apply yourself to it.

abuC

I'm 13 and undergoing puberty. The usual stuff, stretch marks, acne, more muscular body, depression etc. But I've always been overweight, and weight gain during puberty is not helping.

Fortunately, most of that weight is muscle and I have a slim figure, but oh god, my thighs are so incredibly huge from playing soccer, and the fat on my face jiggles everytime I jump up and down. I have a few questions:

1. Did you guys experience sudden or gradual weight gain during puberty? And if so...

I'm trying to do 20 mins of cardio everyday and 60 minutes of exercise every other day, but I think the main factor is my South Asian diet, so many calories! But I know I can't skip the three essential meals, I can't starve myself during puberty! So far I've lost 5 pounds, once I lose ten I'll return to the average weight range, and then I'll have to work on toning my muscle.

As for my lifestyle, I usually stand up and do jumping jacks while watching TV, I never use the elevators (I'm claustrophobic), and I always take the longest routes on my daily commute to do exercise. I hope I'll be slim and muscular in a month.

I think it depends on the person, I looked a lot more chubby at 12 when I was 5"9 160lbs, by the time I was 14 I was 6"0 205lbs and looked leaner even though I was considerably heavier.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It will be tough since you probably don't have very much control over what you can eat, but try to eliminate or reduce your consumption of grains and sugar as much as possible. Get plenty of fat and protein. Don't overdo the cardio, either.

Picked up some baked lentil chips at Trader Joe's, I love them! They make a great side or snack with guacamole. 17g carbs per serving so not super low carb but I am still very low carb in my overall diet so I can easily afford to work these in every now and again. Recommended!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Picked up some baked lentil chips at Trader Joe's, I love them! They make a great side or snack with guacamole. 17g carbs per serving so not super low carb but I am still very low carb in my overall diet so I can easily afford to work these in every now and again. Recommended!
I'm a fan of soynuts. I bet they have them too. Never got into pork rinds. Too icky.

btw going from your original weight to under 200 now, did you modify your carb intake at all? I'm wondering because myself and another person who started above 250 both found that real impact only happens sub 25g carbs for us.

I'm a fan of soynuts. I bet they have them too. Never got into pork rinds. Too icky.

btw going from your original weight to under 200 now, did you modify your carb intake at all? I'm wondering because myself and another person who started above 250 both found that real impact only happens sub 25g carbs for us.
I'm still in losing mode so still monitoring fairly closely but hopefully not for much longer; right now I'm at 185 and I don't think I really want to lose much more so will be happy to maintain after that. The trick is gonna be figuring out how to adjust my diet from losing to maintenance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What's a good snack i can carry around in a backpack in case hunger kicks in?
www.bigjohnsbeefjerky.com
Nuts
Small bag of carrots, some cheese
I-O or IMO (Isomalto-Oligosaccharides) seems like a made fiber sweetner from starches. EU finds it doesn't seem to act like fiber, some American college study does. Hmmmm. Might as well give it a shot and see if it kicks me out of keto or makes me feel awful. -saccharides seems like a giveaway though...

Cautions: In case of gastrointestinal
discomfort or abdominal bloating, IMO use
should be discontinued
Warnings: Very high dosages (> 40 g/day)
may develop gastro-intestinal discomfort

Also it seems like it does have a substantial affect on blood glucose/sugar? At least on Diabetics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BjvnjO04t4
Whether this is due to easily digestible proteins, or the starchy-malty sweetener I'll leave for you to decide.
I'm still in losing mode so still monitoring fairly closely but hopefully not for much longer; right now I'm at 185 and I don't think I really want to lose much more so will be happy to maintain after that. The trick is gonna be figuring out how to adjust my diet from losing to maintenance.
Any numbers for grams of carbs daily was my question :)

My carbs per day are usually <100g. My weight loss has slowed a lot under 200lbs but that's okay because the vast majority of the weight is already off so I'm happy to lose the last few pounds slowly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My carbs per day are usually <100g. My weight loss has slowed a lot under 200lbs but that's okay because the vast majority of the weight is already off so I'm happy to lose the last few pounds slowly.
When you started, what did you limit your carbs to I mean. Like I said I've been on <50g for 2-3 weeks and dropped 2-3 pounds. Kicked it to <20g for a week and I drop 2-3.
Sub 100g is like eating carbs to me. :'[

When you started, what did you limit your carbs to I mean. Like I said I've been on <50g for 2-3 weeks and dropped 2-3 pounds. Kicked it to <20g for a week and I drop 2-3.
Sub 100g is like eating carbs to me. :'[

Same; it hasn't changed. 100g is my hard limit, I try to never go over that. Most days though I am closer to 50g and often lower.

OG Kush

I'm of south-asian descent so i get what you mean man. I'm older than you but still living with my parents so it's note exactly like I can order my mom what to cook, but I just get special food just for me for breakfast and lunch and snacks. When ever my mom does the shopping I just give her a simple list. things such as eggs (for breakfast), carrots and cucumbers (Snacks), green salad packs (lunch+snacks), slices of cut meat (snacks and also good with salad and breakfast), cottage cheese, cheese strings, nuts, fruits, smoke salmon, tuna cans etc etc. You get the point. I still eat the dinner she makes but stay away from the rice and bread.
Us south asians love are rice and chapatis, naans and shit. Just gotta stay away from that stuff. Seriously as people in this thread have already said just eat meat, eggs, vegetables and cheese.

I have nothing but respect for everyone in this thread trying to lose weight, keep up the good work yall.

As for me Im 6"1 254lbs, body fat is about 17%, I started to lose weight over the summer but stopped since my back was bothering me. But now, Im going to give it another try, I don't really have a goal weight. I'd just like to get down to around 11% body fat while retaining as much muscle as possible, time frame doesn't matter much. Even though I have a so-so right knee I've decided to do some sprint work since I have a track near by, and will do cycling as well for endurance.
How are you only 17% body fat at 254? I would focus on diet rather than sprinting, especially if your knees are not great. Loft weights, too.

On that subject, anyone do Body By Science? Am I wasting my time with that program?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You must be pretty damn muscular to be at 17% body fat when you're 254lbs.

Log4Girlz

Time for an update. Weight loss reeeallly slows down after that first 100! But I'm still keeping at it. Took this picture at work since it's the only place with a long mirror like that. Don't really know my weight since weighing myself can be discouraging due to working out. I can drop a pants size and still end up gaining weight due to muscle gain, so I tend to not go by that anymore.

new.png

Huge improvement man!!

I've lost 25 so far, I'm going slower than most since I cheat once a week :( But hey I'm not gaining, not even after my tremendous bing on thanksgiving! (it was epic)

How yoked are you?

Hugh Jackman at 6'2 225:
Hugh-Jackman-Lean-and-Ripped.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I-O or IMO (Isomalto-Oligosaccharides) seems like a made fiber sweetner from starches. EU finds it doesn't seem to act like fiber, some American college study does. Hmmmm. Might as well give it a shot and see if it kicks me out of keto or makes me feel awful. -saccharides seems like a giveaway though...

Cautions: In case of gastrointestinal
discomfort or abdominal bloating, IMO use
should be discontinued
Warnings: Very high dosages (> 40 g/day)
may develop gastro-intestinal discomfort

Also it seems like it does have a substantial affect on blood glucose/sugar? At least on Diabetics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BjvnjO04t4
Whether this is due to easily digestible proteins, or the starchy-malty sweetener I'll leave for you to decide.
Decided to get two free bars from them.
http://www.questproteinbar.com/freesample1

Going to see how it goes. 4g net carbs is probably 16g or so in reality, but hey.

I really like the quest protein bars, I've been through several boxes of them. Best low-carb snack bar I've found.

In other news I had lunch at Buckhorn Grill today and decided to treat myself to my old favorite tri-tip sandwich. Halfway through I decided to look up the nutrition info on my phone; as soon as I saw it I stopped eating. The sandwich alone is just shy of 1K calories and of course is carb-tastic too. I knew it wod be bad and was giving myself a treat but I didn't know it was THAT bad. I will be having a very light dinner :)

I really like the quest protein bars, I've been through several boxes of them. Best low-carb snack bar I've found.

In other news I had lunch at Buckhorn Grill today and decided to treat myself to my old favorite tri-tip sandwich. Halfway through I decided to look up the nutrition info on my phone; as soon as I saw it I stopped eating. The sandwich alone is just shy of 1K calories and of course is carb-tastic too. I knew it wod be bad and was giving myself a treat but I didn't know it was THAT bad. I will be having a very light dinner :)
Do you only count "net" carbs in your daily carb count? Why does fiber or sugar alcohol not count? I'm curious.

Top Bottom