• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did you weigh yourself at the same time of day on each occasion?

That would be part of it and depending on the time of day.

Weighing at a different time of day, having clothes and shoes on and water weight could all easily make 9 pounds.

That would be it then. The first time was at work just to get a base for the contest, today I started my normal weigh schedule. I'll do it the same as this morning every Monday from now on.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I always thought eating fruits was a good idea, now i'm told its full of sugar and to avoid?

Depends on the school of thought you're following. Fruit offer good nutritional value in terms of vitamins and antioxidants, but it's true they come with a glycemic kick.

Having some fruit in the day is OK, just don't go nuts.

low-G

There are a lot of people who consider obesity an eating order, no different than anorexia. The bigger your body gets the more energy it needs, the more food it needs. Than you factor in a diet high in simple, refined carbohydrates which your body begins to crave and which make you gain even more weight. It becomes a never ending, vicious cycle.

There's a difference between being obese and a full on eating disorder. When I decided to lose weight I was easily able to control what I ate. I'm down over 100 lbs and I don't have any particularly strong desire for cheeseburgers, sweet things or anything in particular. I'd -like- to eat a cheeseburger but if you told me I'd never eat another in my life I'd be fine with that too (if I believed you were a prophet I'd be afraid of dying in a car crash though).

Anyways the point is people who have lost the weight but still have problems with binging or 'food controls me' thoughts have a different sort of problem.

SeanR1221

The reason I'm fasting is because I ate like horse crap during the Steelers playoff game and I want to follow it up with a fast to immediately get back on track.

I know that feel, bro.

Went to the mountains with my friends and had way too much beer.

---

Yesterday I started a new workout schedule. I've been doing basically the same 5 day routine for 5 years now, and honestly, I'm sick of it. I really wanted something a lot more intense, with some new (and old) exercises.

Check this out...

Each exercise is 3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Day 1

- Bench Press
- Decline Press
- Incline Press
- Lateral Pull down
- Dumbbell pullover
- Barbell Pullover
- Dumbbell fly (on incline)
- Bent over row
- Cable Row

Day 2
- Squats
- Dumbbell squats
- Lunges
- Good Mornings
- Deadlifts
- Superman
- Shrugs
- Shoulder Press
- Lateral dumbbell raises
- Frontal dumbbell raises

Day 3
- Preacher curls
- Overhand curls
- Bicep curl
- Tricep extensions
- Cable tricep pushdown
- Tricep kickback
- Dips

Day 4
- Crunch
- Bicycle crunch
- Heel touch
- Leg Raise
- Suitcase crunch
- Body twist
- Scissor kick
- Reverse crunch

Day 5
- Plank
- Side plank
- Toe Touch
- Back extensions
- Crunch
- Russian twist
- Side bends
- Superman

Running a mile on the lifting days and running for 30 minutes on ab days.

It's going to be intense at first, but I'm pretty pumped to feel sore again.

I have no idea of your goals and current physique but all that routine looks ridiculous. Bench, incline, and decline? Squats and deadlifts on the same day? If you are lifting hard, doing both of those compound exercises on the same day without rest is just a bad idea.

Mind posting your current numbers for your compound lifts?

SeanR1221

I have no idea of your goals and current physique but all that routine looks ridiculous. Bench, incline, and decline? Squats and deadlifts on the same day? If you are lifting hard, doing both of those compound exercises on the same day without rest is just a bad idea.

Mind posting your current numbers for your compound lifts?

You must have missed where I'm doing 3 sets, 12 reps. Not maxing out at 4 reps or anything.

For example, I was only doing 115 on bench yesterday.

Check this out...
Running a mile on the lifting days and running for 30 minutes on ab days.

It's going to be intense at first, but I'm pretty pumped to feel sore again.
Going to be blunt: this is terrible. Go read the fitness thread OP please.

You're benching 115? You should definitely not be trying to come up with your own routine.

You must have missed where I'm doing 3 sets, 12 reps. Not maxing out at 4 reps or anything.

For example, I was only doing 115 on bench yesterday.

I saw the 3x12 and understand that. I'm just asking what your current goals are. If you have been lifting for 5 years, doing 3x12 @ 115 isn't going to do much (if at all). What was your current routine before you switched to this one?

SeanR1221

Fixed, and it's still a bad routine.

Falling edge: I'm assuming that with the weight he's doing he will be able to squat and DL on the same day just fine.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Explain why it's a terrible routine and write up a better split for muscle toning.

The old routine was...(I'm on my phone now so I'll abbreviate)

Day 1
- bench
- decline
- incline
- flys
- cable crossover

Day 2
- lat pull down
- rows
- back extensions
- dead lift
- reverse fly

Day 3
- squat
- leg extension
- leg curl
- calf raise
- lunge

Day 4
- bicep curl
- preacher curl
- hammer curl
- tricep pull down
- dips

Day 5
- shoulder press
- lateral raises
- frontal raises
- shrugs

So there's the old routine.

man of science

Neo Member
Cross posting from the P90 thread. Add me if you're on myfitnesspal, username anskyfan.

Yesterday was my day off, really looking forward to working out today.

SeanR1221

Pretty sure FitnessGAF would rip that routine apart.

No doubt, but I'm not looking for the strength or mass gains from maxing out 3 deadlifts in a set.

I also didn't invent the routine I'm trying now.

EDIT

There's no such thing as "muscle toning". Read the fitness OP and then ask for help if you still have any questions or if you want an alternative routine that isn't in the OP.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431741

This is what I mean. This post is of no help.

Explain the terribleness of my routine, and suggest me one.

Otherwise, don't just barge in and say something is wrong. It would be like someone posting up their diet, and someone saying "no no, that's all wrong" and offering no guidance why or what they should be eating.

How about this, I'll give it 6 weeks. If I see no change whatsoever, I'll stop.

In the meantime, write me up a 5 day split, please. Not trying to be snarky, I'm just curious what a superior split looks like.

No doubt, but I'm not looking for the strength or mass gains from maxing out 3 deadlifts in a set.

I also didn't invent the routine I'm trying now.

Listen, you're not going to look like this from deadlifting. You don't get huge overnight, or even in a few months. You especially can't get huge if you don't eat for it. You CAN get strong and ripped from following a "strength" program.

This is what I mean. This post is of no help.

Explain the terribleness of my routine, and suggest me one.

You obviously didn't read the whole thing, you just think you know better and want me to explain everything that is in that post to you. Stop being lazy.

Otherwise, don't just barge in and say something is wrong. It would be like someone posting up their diet, and someone saying "no no, that's all wrong" and offering no guidance why or what they should be eating.

Except the guidance is all in that post, it's not like that at all.

How about this, I'll give it 6 weeks. If I see no change whatsoever, I'll stop.

In the meantime, write me up a 5 day split, please. Not trying to be snarky, I'm just curious what a superior split looks like.

Why do you think you need a 5 day split? Perhaps if you were squating 365, deadlifting 415, and benching 275, and pressing your bodyweight you would need a 4 day split to add some accessory work.

If you can't be bothered to spend 15 minutes to read a few words I can't help you. I won't suggest a 5 day split because a 5 day split would suck for someone like you.

Yeah, that's my fear, getting huge.

Please suggest a 5 day split.

Jesus he already referred you to the fitness thread. You'll get better responses there. And yet I can already tell you the majority of them will tell you to read the Fitness OP. It's informative and will give you answers.

I'll say one thing that you're routine does not give adamant amount of time for muscle healing if you're doing those days back to back. That can be damaging to your body and health. It's a bad routine - go to the fitness thread and read. Stop being lazy and ignoring their answers because they aren't to the point and require effort from you.

SeanR1221

If you can't be bothered to spend 15 minutes to read a few words I can't help you. I won't suggest a 5 day split because a 5 day split would suck for someone like you.

I looked at the workout section and it only details beginner programs, with links to webpages after that.

Explain why it would suck for me, and once again, for the love of god, write me up a split I should be doing.

SeanR1221

Jesus he already referred you to the fitness thread. You'll get better responses there. And yet I can already tell you the majority of them will tell you to read the Fitness OP. It's informative and will give you answers.

I'll say one thing that you're routine does not give adamant amount of time for muscle healing if you're doing those days back to back. That can be damaging to your body and health. It's a bad routine - go to the fitness thread and read. Stop being lazy and ignoring their answers because they aren't to the point and require effort from you.

As stated above I did skim through the fitness OP, and it has some beginner routines.

Or the time it takes to come up with a smart response to someone asking for help could be spent actually typing up a routine.

Wouldn't it be easy to say "I'd only do 3 days of lifting, 5 sets, 5 reps, etc." then go read the OP instead of doing that terrible routine blah blah blah blah."

Hell, it would even be easier to just say, do the beginner routine in the OP then to come up with all these smart-ass responses.

You don't necessarily have to eat a certain number of meals on low carb right? My gf started it a few months ago (she's lost over 12 lbs already) and I told her only to eat when she is hungry expect for breakfast which is a must.

Okay sean, this is my last response to you in this thread. If you really want help the fitness thread will be there since this thread is not the place for it.

You are a beginner, it has nothing to do with how long you have been lifting. You are classified by the amount of weight you can lift in each exercise, not by how long you have been "working out".

I will leave you with these links:
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html
http://s3.stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-report.pdf

LFG

Neophyte
BeforeandAfterGAF.jpg

great results man! looking good! keep at it :)

dralla

Some people need breakfast to function better throughout the day, some don't. There's no reason to force yourself to eat in the morning. There's no exact science to a healthy diet. Do what works for you.

I recently began adding oregano to a lot of my meals. Why didn't anyone tell me it was so good. Grilled chicken marinaded in olive oil and lemon juice, seasoned with black pepper and oregano = delicious.

I tried the pumpkin seeds I got yesterday and they're really good too. I think I'm gonna start adding them to my daily diet, most likely spicy varieties.

Akim

Banned
Are you allowing yourself to have a Cheat Day once a week? If not, then I highly recommend one for you. It will allow you to eat the food you love, and help prevent a binge session like that.

I cheat once a month. The problem is when I cheat, I can't control myself. Cheat Days usually include about 10k calories.

dantehemi

Day one in the books. It was easy, but hey it's only one day.

630am- 4 eggs 2 slices of bacon
930am- handful of almonds
12pm- 1/2 a rotessire chicken
3pm- Cheese string
6pm- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, cup of broccoli
830pm- handful almonds and a cheese string

I'm drinking club soda and diet coke with meals and a shit load of water during the day.

For those that didn't read my other post.
I'm 6-2 about 360-380lbs
And work a physical construction job

Am I eating enough? How does this meal plan look? It's only day one so I really don't have a feel for how my body will react to the lower calorie intake, I just don't want the weekend to come and I loose all my efforts cause I am really hungry and cant controll myself.

smurfx

get some go again
Day one in the books. It was easy, but hey it's only one day.

630am- 4 eggs 2 slices of bacon
930am- handful of almonds
12pm- 1/2 a rotessire chicken
3pm- Cheese string
6pm- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, cup of broccoli
830pm- handful almonds and a cheese string

I'm drinking club soda and diet coke with meals and a shit load of water during the day.

For those that didn't read my other post.
I'm 6-2 about 360-380lbs
And work a physical construction job

Am I eating enough? How does this meal plan look? It's only day one so I really don't have a feel for how my body will react to the lower calorie intake, I just don't want the weekend to come and I loose all my efforts cause I am really hungry and cant controll myself.
working some real heavy hours in construction totally screwed with my diet. i had no energy when i went low carb and stopped. now i'm back to a regular diet and lifting weights like usual.

dralla

Looks like you are going the low carb route. It's going to take your body some time to adjust to the low levels of glucose and insulin in your body. You will most likely feel tired and fatigued for a few days which is normal so don't worry about it too much. Once your body does adjust your satiety will change quite a bit and you'll understand how much of an effect the insulin was having. When you do get to this point you simply eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full. You never need to starve yourself, you don't have to worry about the number of calories you take in, it simply doesn't matter when you follow a low carb diet, what you eat is more important than how much you eat.

And remember, don't be afraid of fatty foods. Your body will need it for fuel. You don't need to stick to lean cut meats like chicken. Cover your broccoli in a butter sauce or cheese if it isn't filling enough. You could always add more vegetables, a salad with an olive oil based dressing is a good option to eat with your lunch.

I cheat once a month. The problem is when I cheat, I can't control myself. Cheat Days usually include about 10k calories.

This is my problem. And then I have the tendency to turn one cheat meal into two...and then three...and then, hell, might as well just make it a cheat day. And then that turns into two days, and then three etc and before I know it I'm fat again.

Akim

Banned
This is my problem. And then I have the tendency to turn one cheat meal into two...and then three...and then, hell, might as well just make it a cheat day. And then that turns into two days, and then three etc and before I know it I'm fat again.

haha this made me laugh

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
With my new eating plan I am trying to just have one cheat meal a week. I enjoy subway so even a subway chicken breast would be a cheat meal. Although I do get Taco Bell cravings...

With my new eating plan I am trying to just have one cheat meal a week. I enjoy subway so even a subway chicken breast would be a cheat meal. Although I do get Taco Bell cravings...

Yeah, I'm working on reducing my weekly cheat day to a cheat meal.

It's working well so far, probably because I now only eat one large meal each day anyway, thanks for my intermittent fasting routine.

OG Kush

I had my first cheat day in a while on sunday.. felt sick after it. And dissapointed in myself, like I just kept thinking what is the point in this? I'd rather just stick to occasionaly having a cheat meal then a whole day of cheating but it just made me sick and disgusted in myself. Felt so lazy, didnt even want to take a shower, didnt want to work out or do my work for exams. Just a bad day overall lol.

I think everyone in this thread feels your pain!

I haven't posted here in a while, but long story short, I managed to lose 31 kilos a few years ago, and have managed to keep the weight off since.

What you're describing is something we all go through, and it's definitely one of the toughest things to get over the line with. What I would say is that you should not expect to go from a diet of junk to a super-healthy one overnight. Unless you are super iron-willed it's just not possible to do it. That's why I suspect you struggle to limit a cheat day / meal.

I'm sure someone has posted this already, but writing a list of what exactly you have eaten every day is something you should do. In fact every time you gorge on a snack or high-calorie meal, write it down there and then. Not only will you feel even more guilty than usual as you write it in, but at the end of every week when you look back, you'll gain some extra motivation to cut out your inner fat-boy.

However, this list also doubles up as a great guide on how to alter your diet. Most people tend to eat more or less the same sorts of foods week-to-week, depending on the day and your lifestyle, mainly because humans tend to be creatures of habit. Therefore once you have a solid list you can start to form a "hit-list" of things you can remove or alter from your typical diet to help you out. Your aim should then be to alter your diet, but taking things one or two at a time rather than all at once. A slow and steady approach is the way to defeat your inner fat-boy, IMO.

So for example, when I started out, I drunk a LOT of Coca-Cola. So I substituted it with Diet Coke. Then I tried to cut my Cola intake by half, then half again, and then finally moved onto replacing it altogether with Water. I also used to eat a lot of chocolate, so I substituted this with Cereal Bars which although not nearly as tasty as Chocolate do taste quite nice and fill you up. It's actually key to find foods that make you feel full, as otherwise there is that massive temptation to gorge whenever you feel hungry. It's actually OK to snack, but make sure those snacks are light-weight and not of the chocolate / soda / pastry variety.

After a while, as you start to incrementally change your diet, you'll start to live a healthier lifestyle and combined with exercise, you'll lose weight. It may or may not be as fast as you would like, but as long as you keep up these changes, you'll get there in the end.

dantehemi

So here's a question

Sometimes I have real trouble sleeping. Last night for instance I was up all night, and I'm still up now (no sleep yet)

At around 3am I was fucking starved!! But held off till 6am for my 4 egg 2 bacon breakfast. If I find myself in that situation again, is it really that bad to eat something at 3am (I'm thinking PB with some celery sticks) or is it better to tough it out till breakfast. I'm thinking having a little snack will help me fall asleep better, but I know eating late is a big no no for weight loss and good eating habits. Im trying not to eat after 8pm

SeanR1221

It's really important to get a good nights sleep, so whatever it takes, I'd try to get your 8 hours in.

The old don't eat after 8 is a myth. It came from people were more likely to eat unhealthy snacks later at night (like ice cream).

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Echoing Sean, what time you eat isn't so much a thing to worry about. I'll tell you that the later you eat, the worse your morning weigh in is going to look...but isn't that just common sense?! If you've had less time to use that food for energy, there will be more of that food in your system in the morning and the scale will tell you something worse than you'd expect. No big deal, but you have to remember WHY it's saying what it is.

I'm one of the crazy people in the world who weighs themselves about 3 times a day. In the morning, after getting home from work and just before going to bed. Once you do this for awhile you understand how your body typically behaves throughout the day and you can easily estimate what you'll weigh later. For instance I know that if I get my usual amount of sleep (about 7 hours) I'll weigh 1.5 pounds less than I did the night before. Pretty much without fail. Sometimes it's slightly less, sometimes it's slightly more...but if I go to bed weighing 182, I can be very confident that I'll wake up at 180.5ish.

For me it's a good way to adjust if I need to. If I'm weighing something crazy when I get home from work, I can adjust my dinner or workout routine to get me back on track.

When I'm in the zone I typically lose .5 pounds a day. Back when I was a lot bigger I could easily roast a pound a day.

A great confirmation that my diet was working wonders was that the weight would come flying off and I wasn't restricting my intake at all. Three meals a day with a snack between lunch and dinner back in the day.

TLDR: Don't worry about when you eat. Eat when you are hungry and understand that if you disrupt your normal eating cycle you aren't ruining anything, but your cycle will take some time to adjust or normalize so the scale will not be your friend for a couple days...but you're fine.

Edit: On a totally unrelated note, my 24 hour fast was a success! From 183 on Monday morning back down to 181 this morning. Ate dinner that my wife had made (roast chicken and broccoli) and we did our Primal Fitness routine and felt great. We'll see if the weight stays off for tomorrows weigh in, but if it does, I just found my cure for the bad day of eating. Not that I'd abuse this cure...but knowing that I know how to immediately get back on track weight wise makes me happen. It'll be a useful skill even when I'm in maintenance mode (one day).

dralla

So here's a question

Sometimes I have real trouble sleeping. Last night for instance I was up all night, and I'm still up now (no sleep yet)

At around 3am I was fucking starved!! But held off till 6am for my 4 egg 2 bacon breakfast. If I find myself in that situation again, is it really that bad to eat something at 3am (I'm thinking PB with some celery sticks) or is it better to tough it out till breakfast. I'm thinking having a little snack will help me fall asleep better, but I know eating late is a big no no for weight loss and good eating habits. Im trying not to eat after 8pm
That's one of the many dieting myths, eat whenever you like. Again it comes to to what you're eating. Protein is not easily digested by your body, it can actually keep you awake a bit longer so keep that in mind.

Top Bottom