• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

dantehemi

Hit my first goal today!!!

January 6 2012 400lbs
May 25 2012 347lbs (break 350 was my first goal)

In that time I have been out of keto once for like 2 days (had a cheat day to intentionally knock myself out)

I feel amazing, been having depression and anexioty for the last 3 years, and last month I stopped taking my anti depressants and just seen my doctor and everything seems great. She agrees that I can stop taking them for now.

I'm gonna come right out and say it.... The ketogenic diet saved my life, it's like It changed how my entire body works, from aches and pains to my digestion to my brain being clear and open.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm just really happy how 2012 is shaping up to be....

Ixian

January 6 2012 400lbs

Congrats friend! I remember reading some of your initial posts in this thread and it's awesome to see that you're finally getting the results you want.

Log4Girlz

January 6 2012 400lbs

In that time I have been out of keto once for like 2 days (had a cheat day to intentionally knock myself out)

I feel amazing, been having depression and anexioty for the last 3 years, and last month I stopped taking my anti depressants and just seen my doctor and everything seems great. She agrees that I can stop taking them for now.

I'm gonna come right out and say it.... The ketogenic diet saved my life, it's like It changed how my entire body works, from aches and pains to my digestion to my brain being clear and open.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm just really happy how 2012 is shaping up to be....

*high five*

Blondie

Neo Member

January 6 2012 400lbs

That is amazingly awesome, dantehemi! I know exactly how you feel. Keto doesn't feel like a diet anymore to me, it's a way of living. This is how we were meant to eat, and feel, and be! Keep at it and keep us posted!

Piecake

January 6 2012 400lbs

Awesome dude! Dont be shy posting your success. That's the stuff that will help inspire others to make a change in their lives

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You know what's nice? I just ordered a pair of size 33 jeans from AE. 5 months ago I was looking for size 39 or 40. :p

I still have 20 pounds to go too.

Joe

190 -> 175 in 11 weeks.

I really wanna hit 170 by the end of June.

Memorial Day weekend is literally going to set me back a couple weeks I think.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

January 6 2012 400lbs

*Hugs*

Way to go bro!

So I've been trying to lose some weight lately with the help of myfitnesspal, but it seems to me that the suggested carb/fat goals are way too high.
If I'm trying to lose bodyfat and get some definition, what sorta numbers should I aim for?

Currently weighing 74kg and am 179cm, have a sedentary lifestyle, lift some weights at the gym once a week and does some cardio at the gym 30 minutes a week in addition to 30-40 minute walks every day.

Piecake

So I've been trying to lose some weight lately with the help of myfitnesspal, but it seems to me that the suggested carb/fat goals are way too high.
If I'm trying to lose bodyfat and get some definition, what sorta numbers should I aim for?

Currently weighing 74kg and am 179cm, have a sedentary lifestyle, lift some weights at the gym once a week and does some cardio at the gym 30 minutes a week in addition to 30-40 minute walks every day.

Personally, I dont like micromanaging my nutrient/caloric intake. Seems like a pain in the ass. What I do is simply cut out bad foods (grains, sugars, and most processed foods) and eat as many good foods as I want. It seems to work for me

But yea, most people in here will advise you to reduce your carbs, specifically your carbs from grain. And there is nothing wrong with fat. Fat is good, especially if you reduce your carbs a ton

Personally, I dont like micromanaging my nutrient/caloric intake. Seems like a pain in the ass. What I do is simply cut out bad foods (grains, sugars, and most processed foods) and eat as many good foods as I want. It seems to work for me

But yea, most people in here will advise you to reduce your carbs, specifically your carbs from grain. And there is nothing wrong with fat. Fat is good, especially if you reduce your carbs a ton

I used to think that micro-managing calories would be awful, but it's really simple with that site. I just search for the item, and add it without much fuss. Even if I cook something from scratch, it has no issues to add things correctly (I can even add my own recipes to the site and have it calculate the correct calories, carbs, fats, etc)

I guess I'll stick to cottage cheese for breakfasts, any suggestions for simple low-carb lunch/dinner meals?
(I am vegetarian, so that might be trickier)

Piecake

I used to think that micro-managing calories would be awful, but it's really simple with that site. I just search for the item, and add it without much fuss. Even if I cook something from scratch, it has no issues to add things correctly (I can even add my own recipes to the site and have it calculate the correct calories, carbs, fats, etc)

I guess I'll stick to cottage cheese for breakfasts, any suggestions for simple low-carb lunch/dinner meals?

Well, luckily i dont need to count calories on the primal diet. I eat until i am full and i continue to lose weight.

As for diet suggestions, unless you are a vegetarian for moral reasons, stop being a vegetarian. You'll feel a hell of a lot healthier and better if you eat meat.

If you have no problems eating eggs, I would eat a shit ton of eggs. Lentils are good too apparently (never had them)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Not only that, but unless you're measuring the weight of every element of your meal on a scale, or buying only pre-packaged goods, you won't be even remotely accurate in your counting (and even if you did the above, you'd still be off).

I'm completely in the same camp as you. Don't see the appeal of micro-management at all.

Tashi

Yea I don't calories either. I did for the first week of my keto diet but I stopped. It's a pretty easy diet to keep up in terms of portions. Especially since a small amount of food can really fill you up.

Piecake

Fell off the wagon. Ate some Chinese food tonight. I did try to eat small portions. Back to the gym tomorrow.

I ate some Chinese food tonight as well, but i really dont consider it falling off the wagon. I just look at it was a meal where i ate poorly due to time/whatever, and that might happen again, but it will happen infrequently, and I will know I am eating shit food

I think falling off the wagon is a bad way to think about this diet. You cant eat perfectly all the time, and those few times you dont eat perfectly, doesnt mean that you failed and are doomed to eat shitty foods from now on since the addiction has got you again. That strikes me as self-defeating.

All it means is that you are human and that youll try to eat as well as possible, but if you happen to eat something shitty every once in a while, you shouldnt fret about it since you are eating well the vast majority of the time

Hell, even primal has an 80/20 rule

Tashi

Oh and I have my cheat meal tomorrow. Pretty pumped. Gonna have Tacos as the main course. Then some Kettle Cooked Jalapeno chips with home baked cookies and ice cream for dessert. Awwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaa.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I ate some Chinese food tonight as well, but i really dont consider it falling off the wagon. I just look at it was a meal where i ate poorly due to time/whatever, and that might happen again, but it will happen infrequently, and I will know I am eating shit food

I think falling off the wagon is a bad way to think about this diet. You cant eat perfectly all the time, and those few times you dont eat perfectly, doesnt mean that you failed and are doomed to eat shitty foods from now on since the addiction has got you again. That strikes me as self-defeating.

All it means is that you are human and that youll try to eat as well as possible, but if you happen to eat something shitty every once in a while, you shouldnt fret about it since you are eating well the vast majority of the time

Hell, even primal has an 80/20 rule
Thanks. I'm a bit depressed about my weight so when I don't eat right I am very hard on myself

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Been lurking this thread for months. Decided now was the time make my first post.

After completely letting myself go for the last decade I knew it was time for a change. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a great program via my gym that specializes in giving people the tools to change your whole lifestyle.

Since mid-January I've lost 64.5lbs. Still a long way to go, and I'm currently halfway to my goal weight. This experience has been so rewarding. I have absolutely no doubts that I will hit my goals.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Been lurking this thread for months. Decided now was the time make my first post.

After completely letting myself go for the last decade I knew it was time for a change. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a great program via my gym that specializes in giving people the tools to change your whole lifestyle.

Since mid-January I've lost 64.5lbs. Still a long way to go, and I'm currently halfway to my goal weight. This experience has been so rewarding. I have absolutely no doubts that I will hit my goals.

Awesome job! I knew you were looking good at the February showcase, but I can't imagine what you're like now. :p

Low carb is tough for vegetarians. Assuming you're not vegan: Greek and Cobb salads for lunch, sunflower seeds and string cheese for snacks, omelets with sautéed veggies for dinner.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Would a low carb diet be the best way to lose ~3kg of tummy fat quickly? I'm in good shape, but after getting into a car crash and being sedentary for 3 months this year, I've developped a layer over my abs.

Way to fuckin' go.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Woohoo! Awesome.

So what's the diet and exercise routine?

It's pretty simple. I'm eating a calorie restricted diet of between 1400-1700 calories/day. My five meals a day are broken down by percentage: 35% protein, 35% carb (non-starchy carbs) and 30% fat (good fat). I'm working out 5 times a week, 90 minutes on strength training days and about 60 minutes on cardio only days.

At the beginning of the program I pretty much removed everything from my diet except for protein shakes and bars and 4-6 oz. of very lean meat. As I progressed through the program we added additional food items into my diet while checking to see if my body reacted negatively to anything, like diary for example.

It's funny, they said at the beginning of the program I wouldn't be hungry and so far, they've been completely right.

Piecake

Would a low carb diet be the best way to lose ~3kg of tummy fat quickly? I'm in good shape, but after getting into a car crash and being sedentary for 3 months this year, I've developped a layer over my abs.

Going Keto is definitely the quickest way to lose weight. Personally, I like primal better since I like dairy and fruit, and I have been losing weight/feeling great while still eating those foods and I really dont want to bother with counting how many carbs i eat

Cut sugar, vegetable oils, hydrogenated oils and grain first. See how you like that. if you arent satisfied with your progress, just go full on keto

Tashi

It's pretty simple. I'm eating a calorie restricted diet of between 1400-1700 calories/day. My five meals a day are broken down by percentage: 35% protein, 35% carb (non-starchy carbs) and 30% fat (good fat). I'm working out 5 times a week, 90 minutes on strength training days and about 60 minutes on cardio only days.

At the beginning of the program I pretty much removed everything from my diet except for protein shakes and bars and 4-6 oz. of very lean meat. As I progressed through the program we added additional food items into my diet while checking to see if my body reacted negatively to anything, like diary for example.

It's funny, they said at the beginning of the program I wouldn't be hungry and so far, they've been completely right.

Nice. How are your joints holding up? I ran into a knee problem earlier this year when I kicked up the exercise.

And yea it's amazing how your appetite is so small when you force yourself to eat less. When you eat what you want though, you're never full. Slippery slope. These days I have a decent sized breakfast and don't really get hungry for 10-12 hours. If I do, I just have some almonds or peanuts. It's awesome.

So do you have a personal trainer?

So I've been on a pretty decent die and cardio routine but my love handles just aren't budging! I'm pretty lean everywhere else, but my thighs, hips, and ass still have fat on them that I'd love to lose.

Do I just suck it up and work harder? Has anyone else faced a similar situation while trying to lose weight where one area of the body is just being really stubborn?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Going Keto is definitely the quickest way to lose weight. Personally, I like primal better since I like dairy and fruit, and I have been losing weight/feeling great while still eating those foods and I really dont want to bother with counting how many carbs i eat

Cut sugar, vegetable oils, hydrogenated oils and grain first. See how you like that. if you arent satisfied with your progress, just go full on keto
Thanks sugar, oils and grains should be pretty easy, I'll just have to watch my breakfasts.

Piecake

Nice. How are your joints holding up? I ran into a knee problem earlier this year when I kicked up the exercise.

And yea it's amazing how your appetite is so small when you force yourself to eat less. When you eat what you want though, you're never full. Slippery slope. These days I have a decent sized breakfast and don't really get hungry for 10-12 hours. If I do, I just have some almonds or peanuts. It's awesome.

So do you have a personal trainer?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/#axzz1vw5FExD6

You might find that interesting since it makes a pretty convincing case that walking with sort bursts of full energy usage (sprints) is better for you in terms of fitness and overall 'health'

Thanks sugar, oils and grains should be pretty easy, I'll just have to watch my breakfasts.

My daily breakfast consists of full fat greek yogurt (plain) frozen strawberries (hell of a lot cheaper than non-frozen and just as good), and almonds

Only downside is that it is a bit more expensive than cereal.

If that is an issue, you could always just eat eggs for breakfast. Those would be better for you than the above meal i listed. Cheaper too. I simply dont like cooking in the morning and dont really want to ahve a 'meaty' product everyday in the morning.

Just came back from the gym - first time in a long ass while. Just did cardio, but feels like a step in the right direction. I've been upset with how easily my heart rate rises in the past half year especially.

Tashi

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/#axzz1vw5FExD6

You might find that interesting since it makes a pretty convincing case that walking with sort bursts of full energy usage (sprints) is better for you in terms of fitness and overall 'health'

Yea I did that actually late last year. Mixed walking with sprinting. It was just so cold that I gave it up lol. I've been playing Tennis and shit but my knee is bothering me so that's slowed me down from playing much sports. I was just getting back into basketball too. Gonna lay off hard stuff like that for a while and see if that helps out.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Walk outside for an hour with a backpack filled with books on your back.

Nope. Too hot outside, too many people. I rather walk in the very early morning when the weather is cooler and hardly anyone out. i plan to set my clock tomorrow so i head to the gym at 9am.

Chris R

Oh and I have my cheat meal tomorrow. Pretty pumped. Gonna have Tacos as the main course. Then some Kettle Cooked Jalapeno chips with home baked cookies and ice cream for dessert. Awwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaa.

That sounds good :( Closest I've ever come to "cheating" was just having two beers one night. Was scared that even that would be too many carbs and would kick me out of ketosis.

Tashi

That sounds good :( Closest I've ever come to "cheating" was just having two beers one night. Was scared that even that would be too many carbs and would kick me out of ketosis.

It's just one meal I do. Not a cheat day. I have it every saturday night. Sometimes I skip a week depending on how much I exercise. The food was good today but it could have been better. Taco shells were stale, ice cream tasted a little funky. Kinda disappointed to be honest. But yea, usually a cheat meal doesn't kick me out of Ketosis and the next morning I just shit it all out and get back on my diet.

Srsly

Banned
Lifting weights while cutting is nice because if you fall off the wagon you can just call it a bulk day and it's awesome when you go in the gym next time and you suddenly don't feel weak anymore.

Had a cheat night with a friend last night. Wasn't really that bad because I didn't exactly destroy my caloric intake (I think I just barely hit over maintenance, to be honest).

Ready to hit it hard come Tuesday. Giving my body a recovery this weekend. Not only am I working hours when the gym is closed (can't do my proper regimen at home), but also this is about my fourth week, so I'm rotating things around and gonna change things up to keep my body from getting complacent.

Kickz

Been awhile since I checked in here. Still doing the low carb thing.

Recap;

Height 6'3

Start Weight; 374lbs Feb 2011

Current Weight; 295lbs May 2012

Broke the 300 barrier about 2 weeks ago, huge personal milestone in this grueling journey.

bjb

Banned
Been awhile since I checked in here. Still doing the low carb thing.

Recap;

Height 6'3

Start Weight; 374lbs Feb 2011

Current Weight; 295lbs May 2012

Broke the 300 barrier about 2 weeks ago, huge personal milestone in this grueling journey.

Congratulations. What's your goal?

Top Bottom