• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Been awhile since I checked in here. Still doing the low carb thing.

Recap;

Height 6'3

Start Weight; 374lbs Feb 2011

Current Weight; 295lbs May 2012

Broke the 300 barrier about 2 weeks ago, huge personal milestone in this grueling journey.

Congrats.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
WOW, how did you do it this fast!?
Congrats by the way.
Not to diminish Kickz achievement at all, but losing 80 pounds in a little more than a year comes out to less than 2 pounds a week (more realistically it was probably more like 5 pounds a week at first, then slowed down). Anyone who is serious about their weight loss can achieve this as long as you have the motivation to keep driving.

The method is right there for everyone, it's if you can really change your lifestyle to just live this way or at least stay on the horse long enough to meet your goals.

Nothing but respect for everyone who reports their progress and shows the desire to keep it going.

Just wanted to highlight that losing 80 pounds in a year is more than attainable to anyone who can commit to the process.

Awesome work Kickz. Can't wait to see some before/after pictures!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Did some HIIT today. Wow, kicked my ass. What's amazing is that I was sweating profusely for a half hour after inside an air conditioned room. It was so hot outside today too. In the 90's here in NY.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Have gone back up 4 pounds or so in the past few weeks due to friends coming by, visiting family, trips, etc. I need to get going. My first week of Insanity is done, I just hope I start dropping weight again.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Did some HIIT today. Wow, kicked my ass. What's amazing is that I was sweating profusely for a half hour after inside an air conditioned room. It was so hot outside today too. In the 90's here in NY.

HIIT is one of the best things you can do for your body and fat loss. So many damn benefits from it, it's unbelievable.

Barely had any exercise, and have eaten plenty of goodies, and I am still hitting my daily caloric intake of about 1,700 calories.
Here's what I've eaten today:

Breakfast
Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself - Natural Cottage Cheese, 1 container (300 gs ea.)

Lunch
Old El Paso Australia - Soft Corn Tortilla (Taken From Quesadilla Kit), 2 soft corn tortilla
Quorn - Steak Strips 300g Pack, 0.7 container (300 g (1/4 pack) ea.)
Sainsbury's - Cherry Tomatoes, 6 tomatoes (100g)
Sainsbury's - Small Red Onion, 0.1 Onion (approx 80g)
Sainsbury's - Large White Bap, 1 Bap

Dinner
Sainsburys - Vegetarian Hot Dog, 4 dog
Felix - Tomaten Ketchup - Ohne Zuckerzusatz, 15 g
Slotts - Original Senap, 7 gram
Marmite - Yeast Extract, 8 g

Snacks
Gu - After Dark Hot Chocolate Souffles, 1.5 pot

TOTAL: 1,706 Calories, 139g Carbs, 57g Fat, 79g Protein, 2,522mg Sodium, 38g Sugar, 25g Fibres

Gonna try to cut out on the carb laden items on my menu, but I like having my cake and eating it.
I'm a big fan of Myfitnesspal.com, it's really helping my keep track of things and giving me goals to reach.

I'm a big fan of Myfitnesspal.com, it's really helping my keep track of things and giving me goals to reach.
<3

I'm so excited for tomorrow. I haven't been able to use the gym for the past four days due to work schedule and the rec's hours of operation. Ready to hit chest and triceps tomorrow.... BRING IT! :D

UrbanRats

I guess i'll quit Keto and go normal low-carb.
The diet itself is not too hard, but i have serious problems going to the bathroom. :\
I've read (on Bodybuilding.com ) many people experience the same problem, and they were suggested to try another diet that incorporated more fibers through fruit and beans, so i'll try normal low-carb.
I don't think i was losing mad weight anyway and besides, i don't really care how much i lose, if everytime i take a shit is a nightmare, lol.

lenovox1

Do you know any other HIIT workouts other than sprints?

You can do HIIT Little-style--60 seconds of high intensity work @ 95% of VO^2 max, followed by 75 seconds of lower intensity work for 20 minutes--on any ol' piece of aerobic equipment. [95% of your VO^2max should be just at the point when you can't talk any more.] You don't have to raise your speed to get the effect, just the intensity of the workout. You can do a HIIT routine by upping the incline or the resistance levels.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Man, I wish I understood the dynamics of body weight changes. I've been weighing myself more often lately, just because I'm excited to see myself inching closer and closer to my goal. Specifically I weigh myself later in the night before a workout and then after. During keto my body has been pretty consistent in weigh-ins after working out. Usually I'll go down anywhere from .2 to .6lbs, but tonight I somehow went down 1.4lbs. I always make sure to double-check weights too, so unless my scale is out of whack then it's accurate.

Tashi

The diet itself is not too hard, but i have serious problems going to the bathroom. :
I've read (on Bodybuilding.com ) many people experience the same problem, and they were suggested to try another diet that incorporated more fibers through fruit and beans, so i'll try normal low-carb.
I don't think i was losing mad weight anyway and besides, i don't really care how much i lose, if everytime i take a shit is a nightmare, lol.

Fiber supplements!!! Psyillium Husk Fiber, bodybuilding.com. I take 3 doses a day and get over 20 grams of fiber. I shit regularly and it comes out so smooth. Very little wiping.

You can do HIIT Little-style--60 seconds of high intensity work @ 95% of VO^2 max, followed by 75 seconds of lower intensity work for 20 minutes--on any ol' piece of aerobic equipment. [95% of your VO^2max should be just at the point when you can't talk any more.] You don't have to raise your speed to get the effect, just the intensity of the workout. You can do a HIIT routine by upping the incline or the resistance levels.

I see. Thank you sir

Tashi

Any suggestions on which brand is the best? What about Metamucil?

I've used Metamucil. It works fine and tastes good but you go through it so fast (like a week or so) and they can be expensive.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/huskpow.html

This is what I bought. Cheap, lasts me a long time, has a ton of fiber per serving. Only draw back is that it tastes like shit when you mix it with water. So, I mix it with Crystal Light. I bought 3 of them recently so I think I'll be good to for a while.

edit; Changed link for Powder, not capsules.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally subscribing to this thread. Since the start of the year I am down about 17 lbs. When I've lost a bit more lbs (~10-15) I'll post some pictures up. Unfortunately I didn't take any right at the start but a month after but even than I can notice a difference between my Feb pics and my recent May pics.

Blondie

Neo Member
The diet itself is not too hard, but i have serious problems going to the bathroom. :\

I'd watchout with bodybuilding.com as there's a lot of bro science and bro nutrition passed on around there IMO. The question really is if you've become keto-adapted or not, because you might just be having the shits due to the keto-flu. I had horrible shits for almost 2 weeks when I started keto but stuck with it and got over the flu just fine. Some people it just lasts a couple of days and others it can take a few weeks. Either way keto-adaptation is what you need to burn the fat at optimum levels. Here's Mark Sisson discussing all about ketosis: ATLCX: Ep. 5 - Ketosis Angel or Devil?

I've been trying to keep to under 50 grams of carbs per day but have been finding myself struggling to find good, low carb foods. I've been eating a lot of salads with grilled chicken and/or eggs I can that it's something that's not maintainable as a daily go-to for me. I even find a decent breakfast of eggs and sausage to be growingly dissatisfying. I'm specifically finding it difficult to find substitutes for bread as I've been craving a basic sandwich for a few days now. I think the main difficulty for me is that, while I like meat, I've always been someone who preferred a good burger or pizza (with all their grain accompaniments) to a steak.

I'll keep looking for low carb options though.

dralla

Than eat a sandwich? Pick a diet that's sustainable to you. A piece of bread at lunch isn't going to sabotage your body or make you gain weight, you need to look at your diet as a whole. That being said there are bread alternatives you can make yourself if you have the time. Ooopsie rolls - http://yourlighterside.com/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/ - There are pre-made low carb breads made primarily from fiber but they don't have quite the same texture as bread. There are low carb wraps out there too if you wanna go that way. For Pizza, you can make your own without the flour for the crust, there are plenty of recipes out there. For burgers, make a double down, 2 burger patties with toppings sandwiched between them. or you could always use a big piece of iceberg lettuce as a bun, or the ooopsies.

Coming up with recipes or ideas is actually kind of fun, you can always experiment on your own.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've been trying to keep to under 50 grams of carbs per day but have been finding myself struggling to find good, low carb foods. I've been eating a lot of salads with grilled chicken and/or eggs I can that it's something that's not maintainable as a daily go-to for me. I even find a decent breakfast of eggs and sausage to be growingly dissatisfying. I'm specifically finding it difficult to find substitutes for bread as I've been craving a basic sandwich for a few days now. I think the main difficulty for me is that, while I like meat, I've always been someone who preferred a good burger or pizza (with all their grain accompaniments) to a steak.

I use a wrap instead of bread for my lunches. Around 15g of carbs per.

Ixian

I'm specifically finding it difficult to find substitutes for bread as I've been craving a basic sandwich for a few days now. I think the main difficulty for me is that, while I like meat, I've always been someone who preferred a good burger or pizza (with all their grain accompaniments) to a steak.

Flatout Bread.

Blondie

Neo Member

Here's a great site I use from time to time: SinOrSlim.com

I especially love her buffalo bacon cheese pizza recipe. That pizza crust base of cream cheese, Mexican cheese blend (I tweak this by shredding Colby Jack & Pepper Jack as pre-shredded cheese has corn starch in it to avoid clumping), and eggs is delicious and doesn't taste quiche-ish at all! And her Cheesy Bacon Chicken recipe is awesome. I tweak it by using boneless chicken thighs instead chicken breasts. I like to serve 'em both up for parties and my guests love it and marvel at how yummy low carb eating can be. A couple of other awesome recipes that are personal favs of mine are her Baked Shrimp Scampi Recipe and her Cheesy Beef and Sausage Bake Recipe.

Here's another site I use from time to time as well: Linda's Low Carb Menu & Recipes. Check out her recipe section on breads to make your own, if you'd like.

A great site for low carb snack recipes is Healthy Indulgences. We've used her chocolate cake recipe (we tweaked it by using navy beans for a lower carb count instead) for birthdays and everyone loved it. Really doesn't have a bean taste to it and the breading is so yummy and the chocolate butter frosting is awesome (make sure to use unsalted butter though).

Some other good recipe sites are:
The Low Carb Wiki
Low Carb Friends
Low Carb Luxury
Low Carb Eating
Low Carb & Paleo Cooking In Style!
About.com Low Carb Recipes
Low Carb Boy

The most recent recipe I dug up was for salmon after my local grocer had a sale on wild Alaskan salmon for $3.99 a pound. I bought a ton of it and boy it was to die for. Enjoy this Baked Salmon Dijon Recipe.

As you can tell my girl and I cook for ourselves and there's really no reason to be coming up short on a LC diet. Shoot, I pretty much go VLC (less than 5/10g) and I never am short of great food to eat everyday, so none of you moderate low carbers should be having problems. I'm now getting into organ meats and am very curious on finding great recipes for offal as of late, YUM!

Chris R

Had a cheat dinner tonight (you only have a birthday once a year)... if my dessert doesn't kick me out of Ketosis NOTHING will. Soooooooo much sugar, but I didn't have any adverse issues with getting into Keto when I started in March so I'm hoping I don't get sick going back this time.

Going to be strict though, so I hope to hit 199 before the end of the next month :p

CrankyJay

Banned
Heh, had a bad weekend food wise, but man my workout rocked this morning. Felt super strong...not sure if it was the extra rest I got or the "refeed". Up until then I've been eating pretty cleanly.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Hey guys - what is the best possible bread to eat if you are doing keto??
I've been limiting carb intake but cannot give up bread -
I've read sourdough bread is the best bread you can eat

Does anyone use specific brands ???

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hey guys - what is the best possible bread to eat if you are doing keto??
I've been limiting carb intake but cannot give up bread -
I've read sourdough bread is the best bread you can eat

Does anyone use specific brands ???

Bread on Keto? Even one slice of bread could knock you out of ketosis, so I can't imagine how that would ever be something you'd want to add to your diet. Sourdough is less offensive for sure...but if you have a requirement to include bread in your diet, ketosis isn't probably the right goal for you unless you plan on having next to no other carbs at all.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Bread on Keto? Even one slice of bread could knock you out of ketosis, so I can't imagine how that would ever be something you'd want to add to your diet. Sourdough is less offensive for sure...but if you have a requirement to include bread in your diet, ketosis isn't probably the right goal for you unless you plan on having next to no other carbs at all.
Thanks -
What is the least offensive bread one can eat ?? Is it sourdough or multigrain??
Best brand ??

dafuq u talkin' bout, Willis?

ALL the weight I've lost has been in my stomach. 15 lbs and I'm dying to lose some in my legs so my pants will fit better.

Biking worked for me, and basically slimed my entire legs down. Went from tree trunk thighs/calves and "cankles", down to solid slimmer thighs and ankles that were visible lol. I used to do about 15km rolling hills 5/6 times a week on super high resistance for about 6 months. Worked wonders for me (lost roughly 80lbs eating low carb and smaller portions), but didnt really help me with the stomach/moobs loss obviously.

As for myself, sadly I have lost all motivation to get back into working out... put on about 20lbs since Christmas and the dress shirts/pants are starting to get snug. I know it would be easy to lose it again, but does anyone else find they can go from a mindset where you work out and eat awesomely like non stop for months and then all of a sudden you just stop caring? I have terrible self control as well, so when im off the bandwagon I just eat terribly.

Oh well, just have force myself to get back into it, and hopefully its sooner rather than later.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I eat eggs for dinner occasionally with some turkey bacon/sausage and veggies. If I were to switch to egg whites (as most of Gaf suggests) how would I amp up the calories to make it dinner without bringing down the nutrition? More veggies? More meat?

Egg whites are just so much more than a carton of eggs.

Jeff-DSA

I've been wearing one of those BodyMedia armbands and it's been a huge difference maker for me. I've always been able to maintain a weight easily, but losing weight has always been problematic for me. I decided to get something to help me track calorie burn better, so I opted for an armband.

Well, I'm down 10.2 pounds as of this morning. I started at the end of April, so the weight loss has been slow, but it's been nice and gradual. I should hit my target weight in October if I stay on my current pace, but my weight loss should start to accelerate soon because I've learned a few things about how my body burns calories and what kind of workouts are best for me.

So, I've learned that elliptical machines, treadmills, and stationary bikes are extremely low on the effectiveness scale. Running (street), biking (street), basketball, and aerobics are hugely impactful. 20 minutes of running on the street ends up being twice as effective as 45 minutes on an elliptical.

If I can get into a good running routine, I'm going to get to my goal much faster. I am preferring a gradual weight loss though, because I have to do more diet adjustment and I think it will ultimately lead to longer success for keeping the weight off.

237 to 226.8. 190 is the target.

Zoe

So, I've learned that elliptical machines, treadmills, and stationary bikes are extremely low on the effectiveness scale. Running (street), biking (street), basketball, and aerobics are hugely impactful. 20 minutes of running on the street ends up being twice as effective as 45 minutes on an elliptical.

Higher intensity is naturally going to burn more calories over the same period of time. If you're comparing the number of calories, you either want to go hard and fast or easy and slow. The appeal of low intensity is that it targets fat better than high intensity.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've been wearing one of those BodyMedia armbands and it's been a huge difference maker for me. I've always been able to maintain a weight easily, but losing weight has always been problematic for me. I decided to get something to help me track calorie burn better, so I opted for an armband.

Well, I'm down 10.2 pounds as of this morning. I started at the end of April, so the weight loss has been slow, but it's been nice and gradual. I should hit my target weight in October if I stay on my current pace, but my weight loss should start to accelerate soon because I've learned a few things about how my body burns calories and what kind of workouts are best for me.

If I can get into a good running routine, I'm going to get to my goal much faster. I am preferring a gradual weight loss though, because I have to do more diet adjustment and I think it will ultimately lead to longer success for keeping the weight off.

237 to 226.8. 190 is the target.

Try high intensity interval training on the elliptical. That has lowered my elliptical workouts to 30 minutes and is highly effective. You are really going to have to work yourself pretty hard though on the high intensity time slots.

Jeff-DSA

Try high intensity interval training on the elliptical. That has lowered my elliptical workouts to 30 minutes and is highly effective. You are really going to have to work yourself pretty hard though on the high intensity time slots.

Yeah, I need to do better on that.

Ixian

Ooh, thanks for mentioning this arm band. I currently use a rebranded version but noticed that BodyMedia has a Bluetooth model and an iPhone app, which is just what I'm looking for. I really enjoy having all of the information that these bands provide versus a traditional heart rate monitor.

andycapps

I eat eggs for dinner occasionally with some turkey bacon/sausage and veggies. If I were to switch to egg whites (as most of Gaf suggests) how would I amp up the calories to make it dinner without bringing down the nutrition? More veggies? More meat?

Egg whites are just so much more than a carton of eggs.

I don't see the point in getting rid of the most nutritious part of the egg. Just eat the whole thing and enjoy the nutrients. If you must do it, you know you can separate the egg yolk from the white if you must do this?

D23

TRCNT.jpg

the picture on the left was me in 2011 (age 23), i was at my heaviest around 200 pounds or so then i made a decision that i want to lose weight.

started running

then i did p90x but only lasted like a month into the program. then just recently again, i decided to do p90x but this time im not giving up and determined to finish the program. i still have 2 more weeks, but this is me right now on the right!!

i've cut a lot of things from my diet.. like white rice, alcohol, junk food, etc but im happy with my progress so far!!
currently at 157 pounds, 12% bf

before/after of my body will b posted after i completed p90x in 2 weeks.

Swimming > all those other forms of cardio. Of course, not everyone has access to a pool, but if you do, use it.

Top Bottom