• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Noirulus

Be careful, as losing 50 lbs in 3-4 months seems a bit extreme. If you want to play it safe, aim to lose 1-2 lbs per week over a longer period of time. Either way, good luck!

Thanks, I realized this morning how much I had lost and I had this really good feeling in my chest. 45-50ish lbs does seem a bit extreme, but i'm going to try to keep the loose skin away by exercising. I'll start lifting in a month as well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ah. I mainly just watch my carbs and keep them under 100 per day. I usually hit about 80 or so.

I need to get going again though, these off weekends are killing me. Whenever I'm away from home I just eat like crap, it's like a reflex. :p

I'm at 205 now and have lost 30 lbs in a year, but need another 20. Doing Insanity now too since I finished P90X2 a month back.

That's great progress. Nice shit.

Joe

Would, for example, 100g of fruit carbs be as "bad" as 100g of pasta/bread carbs regarding a low carb diet? Better, worse?

Noirulus

Would, for example, 100g of fruit carbs be as "bad" as 100g of pasta/bread carbs regarding a low carb diet? Better, worse?

Carbs are carbs, but I'd say fruit is a lot better as they have a lot more vitamins and minerals than pasta/bread.

Joe

Carbs are carbs, but I'd say fruit is a lot better as they have a lot more vitamins and minerals than pasta/bread.
Interesting, thanks. Time to find some low sugar fruits. I've been living off of bananas and oranges since I've cut down on bread and pasta :(

Would 50-100g carbs be considered low for a male 6'2", 175lbs?

Noirulus

Interesting, thanks. Time to find some low sugar fruits. I've been living off of bananas and oranges since I've cut down on bread and pasta :(

I'd say 50-100g is low enough for you. 175 is a good weight for your height, are you still trying to lose or just maintaining?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I think the 2,000 calorie per day carb mark is 200g or something based on serving sizes, I go for 50-100 per day, usually at 80 or so.

What other fruit is lower carb, and more healthy? I eat oranges every day but want some other things. Grapes?

alekth

Fruit has plenty of cellulose that makes absorption slower, as far as I know. The fructose may have some effect too, as it's not managed like the rest of the sugars.

alekth

I think neither bananas nor grapes are low in sugar. Various berries seem to be the lowest, and I think a lot of fruits are quite a bit lower while slightly unripe (luckily everyone in my family likes fruit a bit sour).

Joe

I meant oranges and bananas as a BAD thing as they are high in sugar, sorry for the confusion.

Even though I'm at a good weight for my height I have low muscle mass and thus my body fat % is still higher than I'd like. Ideally I would just incorporate weight lifting at this point but impossible for me right now. So I'm trying to lower my fat %.

LosDaddie

Banned
Don't worry. Someone will link to the (supposed infallible) Mark's Daily Apple article about which fruits are EVIL INCARNATE, and others are good for you.

Generally, berries are considered the best, and watermelons, bananas, and grapes are the worst. I tend to believe all fruit is good for you, as it's all natural stuff grown from the earth. But yes, some fruit are considered "better" for you than others. All eaten in moderation, of course.

Personally, I eat about 2 apples a day, and whatever fruit (strawberries, bananas, cantaloupe, grapes, etc) my daughter is eating that week.

LaneDS

Thanks, I realized this morning how much I had lost and I had this really good feeling in my chest. 45-50ish lbs does seem a bit extreme, but i'm going to try to keep the loose skin away by exercising. I'll start lifting in a month as well.

Certainly nothing wrong with being ambitious about weight loss, but if you think of it as a long term thing that you'll work down to your more ideal weight, and then stay there, you'll likely be a lot more successful. This thread (and others) will certainly help keep you on the right track though, so keep it up!

OG Kush

I don't even know what to believe anymore.. First I heard theres good carbs and bad carbs, for example its better to have oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, fruits, beans etc as carbs. As these are "complex carbs".
Then I hear that in the ened carbs all end up as the same thing in your body, so whether you have 50gs of carbs from white rice or 50gs of carbs from brown rice it isn't gonna change how you're body treats it. The only benefit that brown rice has over white rice is its nurtients. In the end it all gets converted to glucose.
Any truth to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RCBlWQlF7c

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Depends on the fruit.

Berries = good
All other fruits = not so good

I don't even know what to believe anymore.. First I heard theres good carbs and bad carbs, for example its better to have oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, fruits, beans etc as carbs. As these are "complex carbs".
Then I hear that in the ened carbs all end up as the same thing in your body, so whether you have 50gs of carbs from white rice or 50gs of carbs from brown rice it isn't gonna change how you're body treats it. The only benefit that brown rice has over white rice is its nurtients. In the end it all gets converted to glucose.
Any truth to this?

You didn't know this already? That's how it works, all carbs get turned to glucose in the end. I guess the benefit from "slow" carbs is the fiber which slows it down, but in the end, it gets turned to the same thing and used in the same way.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Depends on the fruit.

Berries = good
All other fruits = not so good

Hmm, so my daily orange isn't as good as it could be. I'll check out berries next shopping trip.

Been doing Muscle Milk for breakfast since I have to eat on my drive or at work, any other easy things (lower carb) to eat?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hmm, so my daily orange isn't as good as it could be. I'll check out berries next shopping trip.

Been doing Muscle Milk for breakfast since I have to eat on my drive or at work, any other easy things (lower carb) to eat?

Muscle Milk is garbage. It's filled with contaminants, sunflower oil, and other junk ingredients.

dralla

Fruit is much better. They have more nutrients and are filled with water and fiber which slows the sugar absorption. Fructose, aka fruit sugar, is also not metabolized the same way as sugar/starch found in grains.

Fruits high in sugar are melons, pineapple, dates, grapes, and bananas [more starch than sugar]. Their effect on weight is entirely dependent on how sensitive you are to sugar and when you eat them. Post work out, your muscles will be hungry for glycogen, making these types of fruits good to have than, bananas in particular are a popular choice.

Berries are the lowest in terms of sugar content, they're also one of the healthiest things to eat in general. They're packed with different vitamins and anti-oxidants, they're low calories so you can be pretty generous in terms of serving size. Unfortunately they're a little expensive. I believe Strawberries are the absolutely lowest in terms of sugar.

Apples, oranges, and anything with a pit falls somewhere in between when it comes to sugar. I would only suggest cutting back on the melons and such if you're trying to lose weight, the others should not be a problem. Fruit is real food, which is always a good thing.

So what do I take for an easy on the road, or at work, breakfast that's got enough calories/protein to keep me going but not a lot of carbs?
Quest Bars have been an absolute life saver for me. They're a little pricey but you get what you pay for, no other bar has the nutrional profile as them. My "go-to" convenicnce meal for when I'm either not at home or have no "food" in the house is a Quest Bar and a tube of 1.5oz Blue Diamond Almonds. You can get almonds cheaper than that and portion them out yourself, I'm just lazy :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Quest Bars have been an absolute life saver for me. They're a little pricey but you get what you pay for, no other bar has the nutrional profile as them. My "go-to" convenicnce meal for when I'm either not at home or have no "food" in the house is a Quest Bar and a tube of 1.5oz Blue Diamond Almonds. You can get almonds cheaper than that and portion them out yourself, I'm just lazy :(

I'll check out the quest bars for sure.

As for almonds, I already eat 2 servings a day for snacks at work. Any more and the fat may kill me. :p

EDIT: Quest bars look good, I just wonder if 160-200 calories is enough for breakfast. Also, I wonder if I can buy them locally. Hmmm.

Jamesways

So what do I take for an easy on the road, or at work, breakfast that's got enough calories/protein to keep me going but not a lot of carbs?

I eat plain non-sweetened Fage 2% Greek yogurt at work almost every morning. I sweeten it with a small container of about a scoop and a half of Cytomax vanilla protein powder. The plain Fage yogurt has about 20g protein already, and hardly any sugar. So there's a high protein low carb low sugar breakfast. It works for me. I'm not willing to get up early to make eggs before I leave.

Greek yogurt seems to be on some primal diets and not on others.
I've read some that are very hardcore- only grass fed meat, etc.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I eat plain non-sweetened Fage 2% Greek yogurt at work almost every morning. I sweeten it with a small container of about a scoop and a half of Cytomax vanilla protein powder. The plain Fage yogurt has about 20g protein already, and harldy any sugar. So there's a high protein low carb low sugar breakfast. It works for me. I'm not willing to get up early to make eggs before I leave.

Greek yogurt seems to be on some primal diets and not on others.
I've read some that are very hardcore- only grass fed meat, etc.

Yeah, I was doing Greek yogurt for a while but it has some carbs and sugar. Maybe the plain yogurt is key, I have to sweeten it (like you do) though, stuff tastes bad without anything. :)

Jamesways

Yeah, I was doing Greek yogurt for a while but it has some carbs and sugar. Maybe the plain yogurt is key, I have to sweeten it (like you do) though, stuff tastes bad without anything. :)

Definitely. Compare the plain with the flavored in terms of sugar and carbs and it's really surprising.

alekth

Any truth to this?

The biggest part really is that slower absorption and more digestion make you feel fuller and less hungry for longer.

I found this on protein metabolism/insulin http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto/pfandbs-3.html, which I think is quite a different thing from insulin secretion to get rid of excess sugar in the blood.

Jamesways said:
I'm not willing to get up early to make eggs before I leave.
Why not just hard-boil a dozen every couple of days, you just need to peel them for breakfast.

Jamesways

If I didn't want to do protein powder what would be the second best way to give it some sweetness so I could actually eat it?
That's a tough one. I honestly don't know. Ooh, how about almond milk or almond butter?
The wife started making smoothies with those two and bananas. Bet the yogurt would be good with either.

Why not just hard-boil a dozen every couple of days, you just need to peel them for breakfast.
I do that too, just not that often. I figure I eat plenty of eggs as it is (lots of scrambles and use hb ones for salads).

dralla

If I didn't want to do protein powder what would be the second best way to give it some sweetness so I could actually eat it?

Truvia. I get the full fat Trader Joe's plain GY - http://www.abload.de/img/dsc01294jzu56.jpg - I mix in 1 packet of Truvia, put in a bunch of cinnamon, add nuts/fruits if I have them. Truvia is stevia and erythritol, same thing used to sweeten the Quest Bars. It's an all natural, zero calorie sweetener with no effect on blood sugar.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

You could go with Quest Bars like dralla said or maybe beef jerkey?

Honestly, no breakfast is best breakfast. Just being honest. :p

If you really want something for breakfast, go with Optimum Nutrition's 100% Natural Chocolate Whey or terawhey's dark chocolate whey then mix a serving into a blender with a tablespoon of peanut/almond butter and mix it with water.

Or mix it with a glass of milk.

Or both.

Or no breakfast which is best breakfast. :D

Piecake

You could go with Quest Bars like dralla said or maybe beef jerkey?

Or no breakfast which is best breakfast. :D

If I run out of Greek Yogurt, i sometimes just make some eggs right before i go to bed and skip breakfast and maybe lunch the next day. Works out well and keeps me lazy (sleeping)

Piecake

I didn't think skipping meals necessarily helped weight loss?

intermittent fasting is a valid technique to lose weight. I think its a much better way to lower your calories than counting them. Hell, sometimes i fast just because im simply not hungry. Heavy fat diet fills you up for a long damn time

I'll check out the quest bars for sure.

As for almonds, I already eat 2 servings a day for snacks at work. Any more and the fat may kill me. :p

EDIT: Quest bars look good, I just wonder if 160-200 calories is enough for breakfast. Also, I wonder if I can buy them locally. Hmmm.
Quest Bar fan checking in! The new chocolate peanut butter flavor is great!

I'm pretty sure they are only available online, not in stores.

dralla

Quest Bar fan checking in! The new chocolate peanut butter flavor is great!

I'm pretty sure they are only available online, not in stores.

All of the flavors are good, I think my favorites are Coconut, Strawberry, and PB+Jelly. Than Chocolate PB and Vanilla Almond next... mmmmm now I want one

They sell them in Vitamine Shops, and I believe Whole Foods is going to start carrying the All Natural line soon

bengraven

I have to lose some weight - my knees are actually starting to hurt and I'm finding it difficult to get up, despite not looking like a gigantic round whale yet, I still think I'm becoming one of THOSE fat people.

All of the flavors are good, I think my favorites are Coconut, Strawberry, and PB+Jelly. Than Chocolate PB and Vanilla Almond next... mmmmm now I want one

They sell them in Vitamine Shops, and I believe Whole Foods is going to start carrying the All Natural line soon
Ah yeah I've been meaning to try out the PB+J - ORDERED! Strawberry is good too.

Wiktor

What happens to loose skin when heavy people lose fat? Does the skin just become elastic again over time?

Depends how much you loose and how fast. Skin can retract and get tight, but only to a certain point. if you loose a lot of weight most likely you will be left with some loose skin that no ammount of training and cremes will fix. In such cases surgery is the only option.

I haven't been in this thread in a while. At 6' 3'' here is where I am at. Sept 250 lbs.-May 195lbs. This is the only pic I have so sorry for the poor comparison.

Beforeandafter.jpg

What I did;

Juice Fast for 30 days. Which meant, no caffeine, no alcohol, no food.
Juice was made at home with a juicer; Mean Green juice if anyone is interested in looking that up.

But 30 day Juice fast, which I started mid January. After my juice fast I was on a pretty strict low carb diet with a lot of strength training exercises. I've been slacking lately on my diet, but haven't put on any weight, but just to get back on track with my diet I decided to do a 10 day juice fast. My overall goal is to lose about 10 more lbs. So hopefully I can stay between 185-195. I've put on a decent amount of muscle which is awesome as I can feel a difference when lifting and just doing day to day things. If anyone wants help or tips, please drop me a PM and I can get more detailed if you'd like.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
What is a good quick healthy breakfast? I cannot cook in the morning because i leave very early to catch the bus and i am looking for an alternative to going to dunkin donuts every morning. I'm trying to avoid the place because if i go i will buy a breakfast sandwich, coffee roll and medium ice tea which i know is very bad for me. my job doesn't have a kitchen so i cannot cook anything.

Piecake

What is a good quick healthy breakfast? I cannot cook in the morning because i leave very early to catch the bus and i am looking for an alternative to going to dunkin donuts every morning. I'm trying to avoid the place because if i go i will buy a breakfast sandwich, coffee roll and medium ice tea which i know is very bad for me. my job doesn't have a kitchen so i cannot cook anything.

plain greek yogurt (add fruit and nuts if you need more flavor). The more fat the better

CrankyJay

Banned
Weighed in at 196 this morning...started at 213 so I'm down 17 pounds in 3 months. My goal is 185 so 11 more pounds to go. I'm 6'2.

I'll re-evaluate what I want to do when I get to 185. So close to single digits on my goal...I've never been this committed before. At 32 and with a kid on the way I really fucking want this.

Darklord

Banned
In the middle of an extremely shitty week I decided to weigh my self. I was expecting with my luck to have put on like 5kg this week or something but I was presently surprised that I had gone below 100kg and am at 98kg now(215lbs). It's the first time in memory I've gone below that. So that was one nice thing this week. :)

I'm now at 24kg/52lbs lost.

LaneDS

Weighed in at 196 this morning...started at 213 so I'm down 17 pounds in 3 months. My goal is 185 so 11 more pounds to go. I'm 6'2.

I'll re-evaluate what I want to do when I get to 185. So close to single digits on my goal...I've never been this committed before. At 32 and with a kid on the way I really fucking want this.

That's almost all you need to be successful with weight loss- really wanting it. Keep it up man!

Be careful, as losing 50 lbs in 3-4 months seems a bit extreme. If you want to play it safe, aim to lose 1-2 lbs per week over a longer period of time. Either way, good luck!
I love this misconception that losing more than 1-2 lbs a week is dangerous or unhealthy. It's not, of you're following a proper diet and stay hydrated there is nothing unhealthy abou losing 3-4 lbs a week. I've list over 50 lbs at two different points in my life in the span of 2-3 months, both times I've been to doctors as people would tell me it was dangerous. It's not, your body wants to be at a healthy weight naturally. But, generally, people want to lose a shit ton of weight in a short period of time and don't want to do it the right way so they result to extreme methods, which can be dangerous. Also, I love the misconception that fasting is dangerous too, as long as you're doing it the right way, there is nothing, at all, wrong with doing it.

Srsly

Banned
I love this misconception that losing more than 1-2 lbs a week is dangerous or unhealthy. It's not, of you're following a proper diet and stay hydrated there is nothing unhealthy abou losing 3-4 lbs a week. I've list over 50 lbs at two different points in my life in the span of 2-3 months, both times I've been to doctors as people would tell me it was dangerous. It's not, your body wants to be at a healthy weight naturally. But, generally, people want to lose a shit ton of weight in a short period of time and don't want to do it the right way so they result to extreme methods, which can be dangerous. Also, I love the misconception that fasting is dangerous too, as long as you're doing it the right way, there is nothing, at all, wrong with doing it.

Right. If fasting was so dangerous, then how did we survive famines (as a species) in the past? We were selected to survive famines; that's why we have body fat reserves. Most people (especially overweight and obese people) only need some minerals and water to survive for an extended period of time. Although I would throw in some protein to preserve muscle mass as much as possible.

Top Bottom