• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I will say that losing weight incredibly fast does seem to be the key ingredient to get loose skin. I weigh 173 pounds right now and my stomach is clearly dislodged from my actual body at this point... I lost 50 pounds in 3 months to kick things off...then was slow and steady from there.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go under the knife to tighten this bitch up again...which feels so off to me considering I've gotten to the way I am by nothing but hard work...and at the end of the day I still need surgery to make me look the way I want because I did it too quickly.

SeanR1221

Genetics plays a big part. I suffer from the same thing in my mid section, and I lost 50 pounds over a YEAR, it doesn't get much more perfect than that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Genetics plays a big part. I suffer from the same thing in my mid section, and I lost 50 pounds over a YEAR, it doesn't get much more perfect than that.

The weird way to describe what I've got going on is that when I suck in my stomach, I used to be able to fold it on itself and visibly see my belly button get sucked into my body...now when I do the same thing, there's no visible sucking or folding at all in my stomach.

I'm actually going to get a consultation to see what some folks think and see if there's any non-surgical something I can do.

SeanR1221

I went to my doctor years ago and he told me to see a plastic surgeon. The surgeon said it would cost like 3k to fix the problem. :/. Oh well.

LaneDS

I love this misconception that losing more than 1-2 lbs a week is dangerous or unhealthy. It's not, of you're following a proper diet and stay hydrated there is nothing unhealthy abou losing 3-4 lbs a week. I've list over 50 lbs at two different points in my life in the span of 2-3 months, both times I've been to doctors as people would tell me it was dangerous. It's not, your body wants to be at a healthy weight naturally. But, generally, people want to lose a shit ton of weight in a short period of time and don't want to do it the right way so they result to extreme methods, which can be dangerous. Also, I love the misconception that fasting is dangerous too, as long as you're doing it the right way, there is nothing, at all, wrong with doing it.

In addition to the problem with losing weight too fast and then potentially dealing with loose skin, there are also plenty of people that will do more extreme dieting, lose a lot of weight fast, and then end up gaining a lot of it back. Does that happen for all people that lose that much weight that quickly? No, of course not. But what I was advocating was that the poster in question not view his weight loss as a sprint, but more of a long-term life goal.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Loose skin that's thicker than your eye lid is just your skin wrapped around remaining body fat. Wait until you hit 10% bf (got almost all your abs showing) before you check for loose skin.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-get-rid-of-excess-skin-after-major-weight-loss/#axzz1xnrRYffj

As for the misconceptions, after tons of research, eye opening information, documentaries, and personal experience, I've learned that the best way to live your life the way biology intended you to live is to do the exact opposite of whatever your average doctor and personal trainer tell you to do or take.

In addition to the problem with losing weight too fast and then potentially dealing with loose skin, there are also plenty of people that will do more extreme dieting, lose a lot of weight fast, and then end up gaining a lot of it back. Does that happen for all people that lose that much weight that quickly? No, of course not. But what I was advocating was that the poster in question not view his weight loss as a sprint, but more of a long-term life goal.
I can't say you're wrong at all. It definitely shouldn't be looked at with shortcuts in mind because if you try to lose weight with shortcuts you're not really addressing the bigger issue which is diet. If you drop 30 lbs in 1 1/2 months and go back to your old eating habits that weight loss will be gained back relatively quickly and then people get stuck in the mindset that they just can't do it. I eat junk food, and I drink beer. I just try to limit them, which if I really wanted to be the sexiest man alive it'd be on a rarely/never cycle, but as I'm gonna be realistic I stick to, healthy diet during the week, on top of regular exercise and beer and junk on Friday or Saturday. Diet is the biggest absolute ginormous factor when it comes to weight loss. My wife, who literally hasn't excercised in years has managed to drop about 20lbs in the last 3 months off of good eating habits alone. She started at 170 and is down to 149 with a goal of hitting 125. She knows she would lose more quickly if she combined her diet with excercise, but she hates working out so she accepts that it'll take her longer to get where she wants.

Enco

I haven't been in this thread in a while. At 6' 3'' here is where I am at. Sept 250 lbs.-May 195lbs. This is the only pic I have so sorry for the poor comparison.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s467/krappadizzle/Beforeandafter.jpg[/IM G]

What I did;

Juice Fast for 30 days. Which meant, no caffeine, no alcohol, no food.
Juice was made at home with a juicer; Mean Green juice if anyone is interested in looking that up.

But 30 day Juice fast, which I started mid January. After my juice fast I was on a pretty strict low carb diet with a lot of strength training exercises. I've been slacking lately on my diet, but haven't put on any weight, but just to get back on track with my diet I decided to do a 10 day juice fast. My overall goal is to lose about 10 more lbs. So hopefully I can stay between 185-195. I've put on a decent amount of muscle which is awesome as I can feel a difference when lifting and just doing day to day things. If anyone wants help or tips, please drop me a PM and I can get more detailed if you'd like.[/QUOTE]
Really nice work!

It seems you focus a lot on arms from that after picture though. Try to cut down a bit to balance things out.

A juice fast is something I could never do. It just doesn't seem that healthy and I love eating proper food.

dralla

I think your best bet is to make them yourself. Go to a store, buy whichever nuts you want in bulk and portion them out in small bags. Cashews and Macs are damn expensive. Delicious though! And speaking of nuts, the roasted and salted, 50% less salt, almonds from Trader Joes are amaaazing, they almost taste like chips in a way, very reasonably priced too, only $4.60 for a 1 pound bag. They finally restocked their extra virgin coconut oil, picked them up too!

Piecake

I think your best bet is to make them yourself. Go to a store, buy whichever nuts you want in bulk and portion them out in small bags. Cashews and Macs are damn expensive. Delicious though! And speaking of nuts, the roasted and salted, 50% less salt, almonds from Trader Joes are amaaazing, they almost taste like chips in a way, very reasonably priced too, only $4.60 for a 1 pound bag. They finally restocked their extra virgin coconut oil, picked them up too!

God, i wish there was a trader joes close to my place. Im jealous of your cheap greek yogurt. Fage is expensive :(

dralla

The full fat variety is actually cheaper than the non-fat kinds! I guess when you don't need to spend resources sucking out the fat and replacing it with sugar it saves you a little money

Fat is good. I don't get low fat products. As long as you are getting healthy foods yogurt/cheese(certain kinds)/etc you should have no problems with fat.

Loose skin that's thicker than your eye lid is just your skin wrapped around remaining body fat. Wait until you hit 10% bf (got almost all your abs showing) before you check for loose skin.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-get-rid-of-excess-skin-after-major-weight-loss/#axzz1xnrRYffj

As for the misconceptions, after tons of research, eye opening information, documentaries, and personal experience, I've learned that the best way to live your life the way biology intended you to live is to do the exact opposite of whatever your average doctor and personal trainer tell you to do or take.
Just don't forget that we aren't our ancestors. Unless your appendix actually serves a purpose. ;)

I agree with eating natural foods and less starches and grains. Definitely no sugars that aren't found in whole fruits or honey.

jumping rope is really working out for me, i've been seeing some steady improvements of my moobs and my stamina has been increasing.
My moobs are still there too. I feel ya. I've been doing a lot of chest strength training and then I'd jump rope after for about 20 mins. Are you listening to music while doing t? I know just today my iPod died while jumping rope and I had no desire to keep going.

My moobs are still there too. I feel ya. I've been doing a lot of chest strength training and then I'd jump rope after for about 20 mins. Are you listening to music while doing t? I know just today my iPod died while jumping rope and I had no desire to keep going.
definitely listen to music. usually jump rope 30 minutes. I'm actually starting to love it now that i don't feel like dying after 60 reps.

despire

Just don't forget that we aren't our ancestors. Unless your appendix actually serves a purpose. ;)

I agree with eating natural foods and less starches and grains. Definitely no sugars that aren't found in whole fruits or honey.

Yeah but we ain't really that much different either. 10 000 or so years might seem like a really long time but it's just 300 generations. Human evolution doesn't work fast enough that we would be any different from them in terms of fysiology.

People always argue that we have somehow evolved since the stone age when we really haven't..

Jamesways

I started paying more attention to my diet and exercise and have lost 7 pounds now in four weeks. :D

Congrats!

I've reached one of my personal goals today. In 8 weeks, down 25 pounds from around 240 to 214. And I haven't been around 215 in a long, long time. The diet is going great, I don't miss the crap food I used to eat hardly at all, and I still knock back some of my beloved India Pale Ales on Fridays. The lifting is going well, although I really need to work on squats and legs a bit more.

I'm so happy I found an interval cardio program. Every summer I feel I have to run tons of miles outside and getting close to turning 40, my joints just have a real tough time with it. I do like distance running, but now even after some shorter runs (2-4 miles) I'm limping for days from a bum ankle. I feel like my eyes have been opened after finding out about HIIT. Train smarter, right?

My original goal (aside from getting healthier in general) was to get to 215 and get into some decent shape for 4th of July- a week at the cabin with college age cousins. Not that I really care too much to "impress them", but it was a good calendar goal. My wife's cousin started kickboxing recently (2-0 in Am fights so far) and I practiced kickboxing/kali for years so I'd like to do some drills with him.

Plus my 20th class reunion is in Aug.

Now I think I can drop even lower and keep this up in the long haul. I love the food I'm eating, I'm not starving myself, and the gym is literally 7 blocks away.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Atkins breakfast shakes were cheaper than Muscle Milk this week so I grabbed some of those. I looked at greek plain yogurt but couldn't figure out what to add to make it not taste bad, and it was more expensive than the drinks.

sphinx

the piano man
exactly 3 weeks difference, not pulling in or doing any tension in both pics,

is it noticeable? ..dunno..

beforeafter.jpg

I think I lost the fat in my chest that I wanted to harden by doing push ups :(

Noirulus

Went down another 3 pounds after checking the scale today morning. 12 pounds in 2 weeks (230.8 to 218)! I wore jeans today before heading out and they felt so loose, which made me super happy :D

I also see that my butt has became substantially smaller. I had a big butt for my weight/for a guy and it made me so self-conscious that I would try my best not to go outside. Now I feel a lot more confident when walking outside!

The only problem is that because i'm staying at my parents for summer break, I have to watch them eat delicious mouth-watering home-made food while staying true to my diet. It's really freakin' tough :[ At least they don't bring home takeout or order Pizza anymore. Seeing and smelling a Pizza would wreck me.

sphinx

the piano man
You don't really "harden fat" you lose fat and gain muscle. :p

yeah, I though so... but can't people harden their muscles while keeping some fat to have a bulkier body?

by doing my crazy cardio each day I am taking a path that will give a result a slim body, but I wanted to look a bit bigger.

I have a small frame as I am and I am afraid that getting rid of everything but muscle will make me look like a teenager. No body hair doesn't help matters.

(I am a newby and have no idea, please correct or instruct when needed)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If you want to lose a bit of weight but build some muscle mass lift weights. It helps with weight loss and gets you gaining.

I also recommend P90X/2. You use dumbbells with the program and it helps you lose weight & tone while putting on a bit of muscle.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Went down another 3 pounds after checking the scale today morning. 12 pounds in 2 weeks (230.8 to 218)! I wore jeans today before heading out and they felt so loose, which made me super happy :D

I also see that my butt has became substantially smaller. I had a big butt for my weight/for a guy and it made me so self-conscious that I would try my best not to go outside. Now I feel a lot more confident when walking outside!

The only problem is that because i'm staying at my parents for summer break, I have to watch them eat delicious mouth-watering home-made food while staying true to my diet. It's really freakin' tough :[ At least they don't bring home takeout or order Pizza anymore. Seeing and smelling a Pizza would wreck me.

I also can't believe how much weight I loss in my ass. It's insane. I also don't have thunder thighs any more. It's weird to see the angle of my thighs above my knee. They used to go out wide and now they're more straight, very cool.

Lastly, in the gym this morning I noticed just how skinny my legs are. Gonna do some serious work for my calves.

Zoe

yeah, I though so... but can't people harden their muscles while keeping some fat to have a bulkier body?

by doing my crazy cardio each day I am taking a path that will give a result a slim body, but I wanted to look a bit bigger.

I have a small frame as I am and I am afraid that getting rid of everything but muscle will make me look like a teenager. No body hair doesn't help matters.

(I am a newby and have no idea, please correct or instruct when needed)

Muscle and fat are independent of each other, so yes, you could just lift weights all day and still eat at a calorie surplus so that you could keep the fat.

That's not what you really want though. Don't worry about holding onto your fat to make you look older. Muscle will do that just fine.

possibly because you may be eating less or be dehydrated?

I ate (and probably drank) the same both weeks, but last week (week I was sick) I lost 4 pounds and this week I gained 2 of them back.

one thing I did notice was that last week my 'bowel movements' came more often and 'easier' than typical

I don't know I'm just upset that I gained weight this week.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Back in Ketosis. (Don't know if I ever left honestly, was too hungover to realize) I feel great now though. Went to the gym this morning and did back and biceps. Had plenty of energy running on an empty stomach.

Can I mention how much I love sweet potatoes? I know the low carbers stay away, but I burn tons of calories (lots of running) so I'm able to keep them in my diet really easily. Its become a super go-to thing for me to just have them sliced up and on hand all the time. Recently I've been using them in place of what used to be a bun or rice. For something like a burger just coat them in salt and pepper and roast them in the oven, then just serve the meat bunless over a bed of sweet potato fries.

dralla

Actually sweet potatoes are considered a safe starch, they have lots of good nutrients and have much less of an effect on blood sugar compared to other starches. They're great for a post work out meal/snack. Much better than a hamburger bun for sure.

CrankyJay

Banned
Actually sweet potatoes are considered a safe starch, they have lots of good nutrients and have much less of an effect on blood sugar compared to other starches. They're great for a post work out meal/snack. Much better than a hamburger bun for sure.

There's supposedly a great recipe for sweet potato chili I've been meaning to try. Great macros.

Noirulus

I also can't believe how much weight I loss in my ass. It's insane. I also don't have thunder thighs any more. It's weird to see the angle of my thighs above my knee. They used to go out wide and now they're more straight, very cool.

Lastly, in the gym this morning I noticed just how skinny my legs are. Gonna do some serious work for my calves.

Awesome to hear. Sadly I've still got thunder thighs but I'm hoping they'll get smaller in a month from now :S

Top Bottom