• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I made a peepee on the paper and the paper turned pink!

I'm in ketosis!

Yay!

It begins now.

How long have you planned to stay in keto? I've been there for two weeks and I would like to stay for another 6 weeks atleast but don't know if it's that safe.

zatara

Hit my 130lb lost milestone yesterday. Only 26 more to go, I started this at 312 and want to lose half my body weight. It's crazy when I look back on how I looked and the clothes I used to wear that I ever let myself get that heavy. Now that I know what to do to lose weight and maintain weight I'm confident I'll never get back that. My eating and exercising habits are second nature now so it never feels like I'm forcing myself to do something I don't want to do it just comes natural.

Hit my 130lb lost milestone yesterday. Only 26 more to go, I started this at 312 and want to lose half my body weight. It's crazy when I look back on how I looked and the clothes I used to wear that I ever let myself get that heavy. Now that I know what to do to lose weight and maintain weight I'm confident I'll never get back that. My eating and exercising habits are second nature now so it never feels like I'm forcing myself to do something I don't want to do it just comes natural.

Congrats, broham! It takes about 10 weeks for something to become habit forming and exercise definitely becomes a habit. I think I'm just addicted to endorphins :eek:

Darklord

Banned
I tried on some of my old clothes the other day. It was one of those "I used to wear these?!" moments. These all fitted in December 2011.

73OcG.jpg

JyoN8.jpg

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here happy to give me a simple ketosis diet plan as I want to go into this state now so I can remove the last amount of fat I have left near the middle abs and hip area. I don't know much on this side so advice would be apreciated :)

I will be doing a lot of running on a treadmill and burn 500 calories on that alone at high intensity. I do this four times a week. I'm 6'3, 78 KG at %10 body fat.

Corky

Anyone here happy to give me a simple ketosis diet plan as I want to go into this state now so I can remove the last amount of fat I have left near the middle abs and hip area. I don't know much on this side so advice would be apreciated :)

I will be doing a lot of running on a treadmill and burn 500 calories on that alone at high intensity. I do this four times a week. I'm 6'3, 78 KG at %10 body fat.

My ketodiet is as following :

"meal" 1 : three eggs, raw ( just can't be arsed to prepare them )
2 : 150 g bacon + 50 g cheese
3 : 50g of nut and seed mix, flax seeds, almond, hazel, mainly eat this so my stomach doesn't turn into a cementfactory
4 : 150g salmon + greens/veggies, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes etc
5 : 1 portion of whey protein

All in all less than 20g carbs a day. Keeps me full and satiated throughout the day. Constipation is my only issue with this diet but whenever I can sense things going wrong I up the dosage of ground up flax seeds, mix it with water and profit.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
My ketodiet is as following :

"meal" 1 : three eggs, raw ( just can't be arsed to prepare them )
2 : 150 g bacon + 50 g cheese
3 : 50g of nut and seed mix, flax seeds, almond, hazel, mainly eat this so my stomach doesn't turn into a cementfactory
4 : 150g salmon + greens/veggies, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes etc
5 : 1 portion of whey protein

All in all less than 20g carbs a day. Keeps me full and satiated throughout the day. Constipation is my only issue with this diet but whenever I can sense things going wrong I up the dosage of ground up flax seeds, mix it with water and profit.

Thanks. The main reason why I want to do this is so I can get to around 8% of body fat so it should remove the last areas of fat that it shown in my body so it's all in perfect shape. If I am 10 percent now and do four days of excercise (including sit ups, push ups and a lot of cardio) do you reckon I'll be able to achieve that in 30 days if I follow that diet for it?

Corky

Thanks. The main reason why I want to do this is so I can get to around 8% of body fat so it should remove the last areas of fat that it shown in my body so it's all in perfect shape. If I am 10 percent now and do four days of excercise (including sit ups, push ups and a lot of cardio) do you reckon I'll be able to achieve that in 30 days if I follow that diet for it?

If your estimate is correct, that is you're at 10% BF at 78kg ( 7.8kg fat ), if you'd lose 2kg of fat you'll land at around 7,5%~ at 76kg with 5.8kg fat. Roughly speaking of course. From my own experience I usually shed about 0.5-1kg of weight ( of which I assume the majority is fat ) during keto per week.

In other words, I definitely think it would be achievable for you to reach <8% bf with 30 days worth of diet, given your present situation.

but fuck raw eggs! that shit is loaded with bacteria

I think those dangers are overstated. However, they are gross. It takes 2 minutes to cook them, and they are 1,000,000 times more delicious. You can hard boil a bunch of them beforehand and eat them for a week.

dralla

yea, cooking eggs is so easy I don't see why you wouldn't. You can make "scrambled" eggs in the microwave in just a couple of minutes if you're really short on time.

harSon

Banned
After them hating on my diet for the last year, I've convinced both my parents to go on a low carb diet :)

They couldn't argue against weight loss and perfect blood work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
After them hating on my diet for the last year, I've convinced both my parents to go on a low carb diet :)

They couldn't argue against weight loss and perfect blood work.

I've been doing "lower" carb (less than 100g per day) and it's worked great with my workouts. My dad is a health nut and works out 5x a week and has a "bowflex" body at 54, he initially chuckled at me trying to skip carbs but my mom told me recently that he's been buying low carb stuff now. I think I finally showed him something new! Not that he really needs it. :p

From what I've been reading apparently the problem is a lack of potassium, I grabbed some of the walmart salt substitute and plan to eat more avocados. To answer your earlier question I plan to stay in keto until I'm satisfied with how I look, I think it's safe to stay it in as long as you like (for non-diabetics) as long as you're eating a good diet.

Alright, I've posted this in the fitness thread but haven't got any replies yet but I'll do it here as well.

Height: 6'3
Weight: 263
Goal: 220 (for now)
Current Training Schedule: Just started, 3-5 times a week.
Current Training Equipment Available: Just joined the gym, pretty much everything.

Comments:
Alright, I used to work out few years ago, but most of my workouts have been on and off. So though I know about the exercises, I've always slacked off.

Anyway, I'm living more closer to the gym and just started working out, already had few sessions.

Sun: Biceps & Back
Wed: Chest & Triceps, cardio
Thu: Shoulders & Legs, cardio
Fri: Biceps & Back
Sat: Chest & Triceps, abs
Sun: Shoulders & Legs

So as I have mentioned I am trying to lose weight, I want to go from XXL or XL, for which as far as my body weight goes, I guess I need to shrink.

I usually do 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps, the more weight I increase, the less reps I will do. Keep in mind, I am starting over on the weights, as in low weights, for some reason I can't lift heavy. I try though.

Any suggestions as to what I should and shouldn't be doing? Suggestions for how I should be doing the weights? The cardio?

CrankyJay

Banned
Alright, I've posted this in the fitness thread but haven't got any replies yet but I'll do it here as well.

Current Training Equipment Available: Just joined the gym, pretty much everything.

Comments:
Alright, I used to work out few years ago, but most of my workouts have been on and off. So though I know about the exercises, I've always slacked off.

Anyway, I'm living more closer to the gym and just started working out, already had few sessions.

So as I have mentioned I am trying to lose weight, I want to go from XXL or XL, for which as far as my body weight goes, I guess I need to shrink.

I usually do 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps, the more weight I increase, the less reps I will do. Keep in mind, I am starting over on the weights, as in low weights, for some reason I can't lift heavy. I try though.

Any suggestions as to what I should and shouldn't be doing? Suggestions for how I should be doing the weights? The cardio?

Not sure I'd put lifting on back to back days...I always like a day at least in between each. So I do MWF, cardio on T and R and take the weekends off.

Since you're starting over on weights, use this as an opportunity to reall...REALLY, get your form down with lighter weight. This will give you the benefit of: 1. not injuring yourself, 2. maximizing your lifts.

What about your diet? Do you have a caloric goal and macronutrient plan in place?

zam

Comments:

Weight loss is ~90% what you eat. Exercise will make you healthier (stronger, able to run farther etc), and resistance training with weights will help you keep muscle mass while losing fat. So if you want to lose weight, get your diet in check.

As to exercise, people in the fitness thread are way more knowledgeable than me. However I love Starting Strength, it's resistance training 3 times a week, 3 major exercises each time, and a couple optional assistance exercises.

What I do:
Day A:
Squats
Military Press
Pendlay Rows

Day B:
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

Alternate Day A, Day B, Day A etc

All exercises 3x5 (except deadlifts 1x5)
Additional exercises if I'm not super tired: Chins or dips, weighted incline situps and back hyperextensions.

Start with just the bar on all exercises and add 5lbs (or 2.5kg) to each lift every time you go to the gym. Your lifts will shoot up really fast.

Comments:

There is no need for you to be working out the same body parts twice a week. What is your routine? I suggest StartingStrength, StrongLifts, or GreySkull LP. If you want to do a traditional bb split, 3 or 4 days a week is better.

Chris R

How long have you planned to stay in keto? I've been there for two weeks and I would like to stay for another 6 weeks atleast but don't know if it's that safe.

I was in Ketosis for 3.5 months and didn't notice any negative side effects, but then again I'm no doctor. Just made sure I was eating a good variety of meats and veggies, and taking a few supplements suggested by my doctor (don't eat seafood so I take an omega-3 pill for instance). Been back in for 3 weeks or so since I dropped out due to a carb overload on my birthday and again, no major issues. I was sick like a dog for the two or three days after my Birthday, but that was just the "Keto Flu" and nothing more.

Corky

but fuck raw eggs! that shit is loaded with bacteria

Don't hate son, been eating 3 raw eggs every morning for the last year. Feelsgoodmang.jpg

From what I've been reading apparently the problem is a lack of potassium, I grabbed some of the walmart salt substitute and plan to eat more avocados. To answer your earlier question I plan to stay in keto until I'm satisfied with how I look, I think it's safe to stay it in as long as you like (for non-diabetics) as long as you're eating a good diet.

I see, I'll check out the potassium levels that I'm getting from my diet. Might need some supplements then. Ok, I kinda want to stay in keto for as long as I feel like I need to. Might have to diversify my diet a bit since I've been eating bacon and salmon daily for almost a month now. Now the salmon I've caught freshly my self so I know they have like 0 mercury in them, at least from overfeeding view that is, but the bacon doesn't feel too healthy to eat daily even if it only is 6-8 strips.

I was in Ketosis for 3.5 months and didn't notice any negative side effects, but then again I'm no doctor. Just made sure I was eating a good variety of meats and veggies, and taking a few supplements suggested by my doctor (don't eat seafood so I take an omega-3 pill for instance). Been back in for 3 weeks or so since I dropped out due to a carb overload on my birthday and again, no major issues. I was sick like a dog for the two or three days after my Birthday, but that was just the "Keto Flu" and nothing more.

Cool, the longest I've been in keto was roughly 2 months, don't know why I suddenly came to think that it might be dangerous... maybe my thoughts were subconsciously drifting to the monotony of my diet, though that's relatively easily fixed I guess.

Not sure I'd put lifting on back to back days...I always like a day at least in between each. So I do MWF, cardio on T and R and take the weekends off.

Since you're starting over on weights, use this as an opportunity to reall...REALLY, get your form down with lighter weight. This will give you the benefit of: 1. not injuring yourself, 2. maximizing your lifts.

What about your diet? Do you have a caloric goal and macronutrient plan in place?

Weight loss is ~90% what you eat. Exercise will make you healthier (stronger, able to run farther etc), and resistance training with weights will help you keep muscle mass while losing fat. So if you want to lose weight, get your diet in check.

As to exercise, people in the fitness thread are way more knowledgeable than me. However I love Starting Strength, it's resistance training 3 times a week, 3 major exercises each time, and a couple optional assistance exercises.

What I do:
Day A:
Squats
Military Press
Pendlay Rows

Day B:
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

Alternate Day A, Day B, Day A etc

All exercises 3x5 (except deadlifts 1x5)
Additional exercises if I'm not super tired: Chins or dips, weighted incline situps and back hyperextensions.

Start with just the bar on all exercises and add 5lbs (or 2.5kg) to each lift every time you go to the gym. Your lifts will shoot up really fast.

There is no need for you to be working out the same body parts twice a week. What is your routine? I suggest StartingStrength, StrongLifts, or GreySkull LP. If you want to do a traditional bb split, 3 or 4 days a week is better.

As most of you guys have asked about my diet, I am not completely calorie cutting but I am making healthier choices.

• I stopped drinking anything other than water, occasional fruit juices with no sugar.
  • Starting day with cereal(almonds added usually), fruits.
  • When I have school, I usually end up taking a banana, grapes, cherries to school for lunch. Basically whatever is available at home.
  • Dinner, I eat early and a little heavier, then give couple of hours to digest and then hitting the gym around 8.

I have been doing this only for the past week, trying to make healthy choices definitely. However I gave in and had fries and gravy on Sunday, considering that my cheap meal/day for the week. So all in, I have been eating lots of fruits, drinking lots of water and trying to get protein and some omega 3 in my body.

As for the workouts though, I really dropped the weight, not that I can do that heavy anyway but I have been trying to correct my form and build it up.

For those of you that think that I have been over working, it was just the first week that I maxed it up to get in the regime but I will be doing weights 3-4 times a week and cardio 3-4 times a week. Abs on the days that I am not doing weights(so may be twice a week?).

As for the workout, should I be doing a split work out or do total body workout so that I can work my muscle groups atleast twice a week? I can't figure that out.

EDIT: I do have to mention to you guys that at the same time last year, I was around 297lbs. I started exercise from October last year up until January but I have slacked off again from Feb-May due to travelling around the World. I was around 255lbs in April but shitty diet made me to get back to 264.

I just want to get back on track and keep shedding those pounds off.

So I tried out some spaghetti squash earlier this week, and wow is it good.

It's basically a low-carb alternative to starches such as potatoes and pasta, and it's loaded with fiber. It's a perfect substitute for hash browns because it has the same consistency and only a slightly sweeter flavor than potatoes.

I highly recommend you guys give it a try. One 2lb squash will net you like, 4 cups of the stuff.

sphinx

the piano man
I tried on some of my old clothes the other day. It was one of those "I used to wear these?!" moments. These all fitted in December 2011.

Congratulations!! :) specially considering you did it in 6 Months and your body doesn't look flabby or with loose skin.

CrankyJay

Banned
As most of you guys have asked about my diet, I am not completely calorie cutting but I am making healthier choices.

• I stopped drinking anything other than water, occasional fruit juices with no sugar.
  • Starting day with cereal(almonds added usually), fruits.
  • When I have school, I usually end up taking a banana, grapes, cherries to school for lunch. Basically whatever is available at home.
  • Dinner, I eat early and a little heavier, then give couple of hours to digest and then hitting the gym around 8.

I have been doing this only for the past week, trying to make healthy choices definitely. However I gave in and had fries and gravy on Sunday, considering that my cheap meal/day for the week. So all in, I have been eating lots of fruits, drinking lots of water and trying to get protein and some omega 3 in my body.

As for the workouts though, I really dropped the weight, not that I can do that heavy anyway but I have been trying to correct my form and build it up.

For those of you that think that I have been over working, it was just the first week that I maxed it up to get in the regime but I will be doing weights 3-4 times a week and cardio 3-4 times a week. Abs on the days that I am not doing weights(so may be twice a week?).

As for the workout, should I be doing a split work out or do total body workout so that I can work my muscle groups atleast twice a week? I can't figure that out.

EDIT: I do have to mention to you guys that at the same time last year, I was around 297lbs. I started exercise from October last year up until January but I have slacked off again from Feb-May due to travelling around the World. I was around 255lbs in April but shitty diet made me to get back to 264.

I just want to get back on track and keep shedding those pounds off.

That is good progress...but I wouldn't rely on fruits so much. Lots of green veggies and protein (protein bars, whey shakes, lean meats and fish). It's all about the choices you make...your diet has a good start but it could use some refinement, but maybe that can be addressed once you lose some more weight.

Make sure you aren't undereating either.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Bollox, I caved and spoiled myself to a snickers ice cream and chicken salad wrap out my meal plan. I did do gym before and had red lean meat but now I had them two after because of a sweet craving. I feel so guilty :(

CrankyJay

Banned
Pretty sure you could make a delicious low-carb caesar dressing. When I used to make it at the restaurant, it was basically oil, egg yolks, anchovies, and parmesan cheese (I think, it's been a while). GO FOR IT.

Most dressings are low-carb anyway...the issue with caesar is fat and salt content. If you don't care about that, then go ahead.

OG Kush

So i'm trying to get my mom on low carb buts shes worried about what shell eat for breakfast as she has high cholesterol. She think having eggs everyday would be bad for her cholesterol? Is there any truth to this? After reading so many reports of people here and other places how their health actually became better after low-carb I wouldn't think the eggs woul harm here, but I'm not sure.
So is there any studies or something that I can show my mother that eating in eggs will be fine?

CrankyJay

Banned
So i'm trying to get my mom on low carb buts shes worried about what shell eat for breakfast as she has high cholesterol. She think having eggs everyday would be bad for her cholesterol? Is there any truth to this? After reading so many reports of people here and other places how their health actually became better after low-carb I wouldn't think the eggs woul harm here, but I'm not sure.
So is there any studies or something that I can show my mother that eating in eggs will be fine?

She could go egg-whites only eliminating a bunch of the cholesterol found in the yolk. There also seems to be a popular opinion going around that dietary cholesterol really doesn't effect overall cholesterol in humans, but that may be speaking from a general sense and not specifically for people who already have high cholesterol.

BTW, if cholesterol is an issue she should be probably taking fish oil caps to get her HDL/LDL ratios in check.

From http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20259746,00.html :

Myth 2: Eggs are evil
It's true that eggs have a lot of dietary cholesterol&#8212;upwards of 200 mg, which is more than two-thirds of the American Heart Association's recommended limit of 300 mg a day. But dietary cholesterol isn't nearly as dangerous as was once thought. Only some of the cholesterol in food ends up as cholesterol in your bloodstream, and if your dietary cholesterol intake rises, your body compensates by producing less cholesterol of its own.

While you don't want to overdo it, eating an egg or two a few times a week isn't dangerous. In fact, eggs are an excellent source of protein and contain unsaturated fat, a so-called good fat.

OG Kush

Thanks for the reply mate. I do have 3 whole eggs a day though, but I exercise 6 times a week, low carb (so I need the fat) and take a lot of fish oil supplements so I'm guessing i'm ok.

dralla

Dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood serum levels. Not to mention cholesterol level doesn't mean much, so having a "high" amount isn't necessarily a problem. It's also just a poor indicator of heart health, the majority of people that have heart attacks or get heart disease have "normal" cholesterol. What's important is particle size. If you're cholesterol is dense and it causes plaque build up, it's a problem. This is why vegetable oils are so bad for you, they're pure polyunsaturated fat that oxidizes in the blood and causes plaque build up in your artieries. As opposed to something like saturated fat, which raises both LDL and HDL cholesterol, which is why so many people fear it, but the cholesterol it raises is light and fluffy and causes no problem. Than there's the triglycerides, which is a better indicator of heart health. You'll want to keep them low, by not eating or cutting back on sugar and carbs.

Here's a huge article all about cholesterol - http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

Fireye

What's important is particle size. If you're cholesterol is dense and it causes plaque build up, it's a problem. This is why vegetable oils are so bad for you, they're pure polyunsaturated fat that oxidizes in the blood and causes plaque build up in your artieries. As opposed to something like saturated fat, which raises both LDL and HDL cholesterol, which is why so many people fear it, but the cholesterol it raises is light and fluffy and causes no problem. Than there's the triglycerides, which is a better indicator of heart health. You'll want to keep them low, by not eating or cutting back on sugar and carbs.

I'll have to sit down and read the textbook that is your source. My understanding was that VLDL is a good indicator for heart disease, due to it's conveyance of triglycerides. HDLs are the densest of the lipids (generally called "good" cholesterol), whereas VLDL are the least dense (and generally are considered "bad" cholesterol). HDL are much smaller and dense, and therefore cause fewer issues than VLDL.

As I said, I need to read your source, so maybe my understanding isn't correct.

Piecake

Full fat plain greek yogurt topped with real strawberries (frozen) and almond slices is what i have for breakfast 5 times a week.

Shits damn good

zatara

Yeah dude I do that from time to time just to see how far I came along. I keep a few of my old clothes for motivation, I will never go back to wearing 44" waist jeans and 3xl shirts.

How much did you lose? and where did you start out? Your body looks pretty good. I wish mine looked that tight, I have a lot of loose skin. Then again I guess being over 300lbs for 10 years, then dropping over 100lbs in a year will do that. I just hope I'm not too old (30) for me to lose some of it.

Damn..just watched that Arthur video.
That shit got me. I complain about not having the motivation to lose 5-10 pounds, I can't believe what it would take to accomplish what he did. Amazing.

Also Randy Edelman's Dragon score and Thomas Newman's Shawshank score never fail.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Weighed myself at the gym this morning and I'm down 73 lbs since late January. That includes week long business trips to GDC & E3.

Was great to see friends at E3 that hadn't seen me in a while. Really gave me that extra incentive to keep going and reach my goals.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Really wish i can have this guy's determination. I look at myself in my bathroom mirror at my rolls of fat and wonder can i really do it. I am too unsure of myself.

There's really no wishing when it comes to stuff like that. He can do it? Then you have no excuse.

Top Bottom