• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay so I posted my pics like 6 months ago. Anyways I've finally hit roughly around my supposedly ideal bmi weight for my height now! w00t! :D

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
chicko1983 said:
So I started going to the pool a couple of months ago and running on days I wasnt at the pool.

I swim 2km on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I run about 6-7km on Tuesday and Thursday and about 8-9km on Satdy.

My problem is, I am bloody hungry after exercise and cannot help but eat a lot. I generally eat healthily but still could be a lot better (occasional soft drink, chocolate bar, pack of chips etc).

I have lost about 3kgs in a month of the above regime (give or take a couple of sessions here and there).

I was speaking to a mate of mine and he said I would be better off just stopping the exercise and going on a strict diet if I wanted to lose weight quicker.

I am starting to get a bit disenchanted with the whole exercise regime cause I am not seeing great results quickly - this week I have only swam twice and run once.

To me, dieting is impossible as I love food (good food at restuarants and not junk food).

What do people in GAFland think is the best way - just diet or exercise? I wish I could diet and exercise but I cant!

It depends, but generally the best long term approach must make a permanent change in diet. You have to get your hypothalamus responding to leptin to have a proper appetite, and you have to have insulin sensitivity high to keep energy levels up.

Some people can simply exercise and that's enough to increase anabolic hormones such that it outweighs insulin's effect to store fat. But for a lot of people this isn't feasible to fight hunger with willpower for their entire life...sort of like abstinence only without masturbation.

Exercise can certainly speed things up for all people, but I think it's fundamental to understand how the body controls hunger and fat storage at a hormonal level rather than trying to balance some energy equation with will.

As for the dietary changes, generally get rid of:
-Fructose (Sugar, corn syrup, lab fructose)
-Grains (except minor amounts of brown rice, fermented types)
-Anything white

I have a question, and I think this is the best place to ask it

My GF is underweight. About 10 lb underweight and we want to make her gain some pounds?

What's the healthiest way to do it?

Paleo is welcomed

So, as a 6'0 190-ish pound man, how many Calories should I take in if I want to continue to lose weight? (I am also getting good exercise every day)

I want to be 175 by August 25th, when i am back in America.

As unhealthy as it may seem, the amount of weight loss has been insanely fast since I started. It's like a got a gypsy curse or something. (Thinner)

If I ate 1000 Calories a day, would that be safe? For example, it is about 6:30 here, I've been awake since 7, and I have eaten roughly 250 Calories. 2 meals, one was a daikon salad, which is a food item that is so low in Calories that I don't think it can technically be called a food. Usually I would eat about 500 Calories for dinner... but maybe that is too low?

Believe it or not, I have a humble attitude about this stuff. I assure you guys, I really want advice from people in the know like you guys. I am ignorant about what to do.

Basically, say for the sake of vanity I wanted to lose weight quick... would I be in actual danger eating 800ish Calories a day? Keep in mind that I am indeed a fat man, and the calories I do eat lately are very very quality calories.

Zoe

vas_a_morir said:
If I ate 1000 Calories a day, would that be safe?

Basically, say for the sake of vanity I wanted to lose weight quick... would I be in actual danger eating 800ish Calories a day?

Did you not see the responses when you asked this the first time?

BronzeWolf said:

My GF is underweight. About 10 lb underweight and we want to make her gain some pounds?

Paleo is welcomed

we? whos idea was it to loose weight? "Gee honey, you're looking kind of fat. Lets get you signed up at the gym. Honey? Where are you going with my car keys? I was just saying--"

VVRRROOOOOOOOM

teh_pwn

vas_a_morir said:
So, as a 6'0 190-ish pound man, how many Calories should I take in if I want to continue to lose weight? (I am also getting good exercise every day)

If you have to have a number:

2000 calories
50% fat
35% protein
15% carbohydrate (primarily from vegetables, no grains or sugar)

If you must consume 1000 calories, I'd make it 50/50 protein & fat. Your body *needs* these to make cells. Protein tends to satisfy hunger the most in part because it increases glucagon, which pulls fat from body fat to be used for fuel.

If you're hungry, you're either not eating enough or you're eating the wrong thing.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
pubba said:
2 weeks of low carb lifestyle. Some quick notes..

My digestion is fucked. I really need to start taking some kind of fibre supplement. I'll go buy some psillium husks tomorrow when I do my weekly shopping.l

Eat high fiber fruit and veggies, get some yogurt with live cultures every day as well.

You are going to poop a lot less on a low carb diet and they will be much harder to pass.

But yeah, hit the metamucil. I went low carb for the last two weeks.. not by choice.. it's just BBQ season in Texas and pretty much the only food options were meat and more meat at my friends houses :lol

It got pretty rough there for a while. I took 3 servings of metamucil a day for 2 days and by the end of the 3rd day had dropped 4 pounds :lol I'll let you figure out where the weight loss came from. :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
teh_pwn said:

2rub7eoeem.jpg

I remember this speech, totally forgot about it.

StoOgE

vas_a_morir said:
TL;DR - Is it safe to eat less than 1000 Calories a day for a prolonged period of time?

DO NOT DO THIS.

Your body will start shutting down at those levels and is extremely extremely extremely unhealthy.

In a practical sense the following will happen: rapid weight loss accompanied by listlessness and confusion. Much of the weight loss will be muscle mass as you won't be getting enough protein to support your muscles current size.

If you are lucky and your bodies defense mechanisms overpower your will power you will wind up binging and put every pound you lost right back on within 2 months. If you aren't lucky and you have more willpower than that you could wind up with organ failure, hospitilization and potentially death.

I don't say this lightly, I had a cousin who went bulimic and then anorexic in college and nearly died 2/3 times. Just because you aren't super skinny doesn't mean you don't have an eating disorder that is just as dangerous. You can be fat and at risk like an anorexic just as easily.

Healthy problems aside, you will put the weight back on as quickly as you lost it and your body will be more resistant to weight loss the next time you try and lose because it is going to remember what you did to it when you starved yourself.

teh_pwn

Slayer-33 said:
I remember this speech, totally forgot about it.

Basically dietary fat doesn't make you fat. However, if you force feed yourself 4000 calories per day of fat/protein, you probably won't lose weight.

The idea is to lower insulin, and to increase leptin sensitivity in the hypothalamus such that you are less hungry, and internally calories are streaming to lean tissue from body fat. You both lose fat, maintain lean tissue, and you aren't hungry/tired.

NR1

evlcookie said:
Holy
Fucking
Shit

Amazing work NR1, Just amazing.

metamonk said:
wow, man! congrats. that's a lot of weight you lost there. i plan to start walking about 1.5 miles every other day starting monday. i quit drinking soda 17 days ago and have lost 6lbs so far.

Mike G.E.D. said:
NR1. thats an incredible achievement. How did you do it?

Thanks ya'll. :D

NR1 from Page 17 said:
I started on April 1 at 230 lbs. My plan is to reach the target weight of 170 lbs. I am 6ft 0in and 24-years-old.

I have made the following changes to my diet:
-No Sodas
-No Sugar Sweets (cookies, ice cream, candy, chocolate, ect...)
-No Fast Food
-Massive reduction in bread/grain intake (very limited amounts)
-Limit myself to only water and (1) Slim Fast per day

As far as exercise, I now visit the local gym EVERY DAY and work out between 1.5 hrs and 2 hrs after work. This roughly translates over to 750 to 1000 calories burned off per gym visit. My workout is pretty much exclusively cardio exercise on the treadmill, elliptical, bike, or Stair Master. My aim here is to burn fat; not to build muscle.

There was a bit of debate that was sparked back then on my diet and exercise routine, so I recommend reading back there on what was said on the subject. After that debate, I decided to reintegrate a light breakfast into my daily meals.

Teh Hamburglar said:
we? whos idea was it to loose weight? "Gee honey, you're looking kind of fat. Lets get you signed up at the gym. Honey? Where are you going with my car keys? I was just saying--"

VVRRROOOOOOOOM

Did you read the post at all? She is UNDER weight, the first thing she told me when she knew I did exercise and nutrition stuff is that she wanted to gain weight.

Zoe

BronzeWolf said:
Did you read the post at all? She is UNDER weight, the first thing she told me when she knew I did exercise and nutrition stuff is that she wanted to gain weight.

IMO, her safest bet would be to consult with a nutritionist. Also a doctor because she may have underlying thyroid issues.

I had a friend who throughout high school was constantly under scrutiny because she was bone thin, but she honestly could not gain a pound. 10 years later though + 1 kid and she's completely normal.

BronzeWolf said:

Paleo is welcomed

What's her diet like currently?

A good bet is to simply get in more calories. Yeah, stick to paleo foods - meat, tubers, nuts, dairy. Add butter/fat to everything.

Resistance training can help kick start the anabolic hormones.

In my experience, full on paleo will generally help you reach a healthy weight, whether that means losing or gaining.

StoOgE said:
DO NOT DO THIS.

Your body will start shutting down at those levels and is extremely extremely extremely unhealthy.

In a practical sense the following will happen: rapid weight loss accompanied by listlessness and confusion. Much of the weight loss will be muscle mass as you won't be getting enough protein to support your muscles current size.

If you are lucky and your bodies defense mechanisms overpower your will power you will wind up binging and put every pound you lost right back on within 2 months. If you aren't lucky and you have more willpower than that you could wind up with organ failure, hospitilization and potentially death.

I don't say this lightly, I had a cousin who went bulimic and then anorexic in college and nearly died 2/3 times. Just because you aren't super skinny doesn't mean you don't have an eating disorder that is just as dangerous. You can be fat and at risk like an anorexic just as easily.

Healthy problems aside, you will put the weight back on as quickly as you lost it and your body will be more resistant to weight loss the next time you try and lose because it is going to remember what you did to it when you starved yourself.

Well, I eat a lot of healthy things. But, the food here does not have the same nutritional value of food back home. So, you can eat a lot of fresh things and not eat that many calories.

Anyway, I'll take your advice. Edamame is a good source of protein, right? Healthy, too? I mean, I exercise daily and the things that I do eat are relatively healthy. And I think I STILL eat more protein than the average Japanese person. Just, the times when I would down a can of Pringles or a deceptively high 600 Calorie melon bread, now I just pass. Honestly, my diet now is far more balanced than it was before, even if I'm eating half of what I usually eat.

To be fair, I only did this to kick start my diet. I was planning on eating more Calories starting Wednesday. About 1500. Is that safe?

vas_a_morir said:
TL;DR - Is it safe to eat less than 1000 Calories a day

Yes

for a prolonged period of time?

No

You can safely go on a 1000 calorie diet or less only for a short period of time, though you'd probably also have to load up during the weekend in order to sustain the low calorie diet during the week. I'd say a month or two max. I believe the bodybuilding.com forums has more info on extreme low cal diets.

StoOgE

Alright, so some photos since I've been posting in here long enough.. First one is from May of last year when I was at my heaviest... this is one of the photos that prompted me to lose weight. About a month earlier I had started a weight gain/lifting regiment.. then stopped and kept eating the same amount of food... then never got around to the cutting. This would put me at about 222 (6'1")

NewYork2009060.jpg

This is me yesterday.. down right around 180 lbs. Still have about 5-7 pounds left but it's all in the gut at this point. The rest of my body has pretty decent definition at this point. The shirt size is also a medium (the above shirt I don't fit into is a large), and I'm actually wearing skinny jeans with a 4" smaller waste and look pretty decent in them.

IMG_0130.jpg

teh_pwn

vas_a_morir said:
Well, I eat a lot of healthy things. But, the food here does not have the same nutritional value of food back home. So, you can eat a lot of fresh things and not eat that many calories.

Anyway, I'll take your advice. Edamame is a good source of protein, right? Healthy, too? I mean, I exercise daily and the things that I do eat are relatively healthy. And I think I STILL eat more protein than the average Japanese person. Just, the times when I would down a can of Pringles or a deceptively high 600 Calorie melon bread, now I just pass. Honestly, my diet now is far more balanced than it was before, even if I'm eating half of what I usually eat.

To be fair, I only did this to kick start my diet. I was planning on eating more Calories starting Wednesday. About 1500. Is that safe?

Not familiar with Edamame. Is it fermented? Do you eat sea vegetables?

Problems with soy in general:
-High in phytic acid, which can inhibit mineral absorption (like wheat does)
-Genistein and other phytoestrogens/xenoestrogens in soy reduce thyroid function. However, fermenting soy significantly reduces phytoestrogen content, and sea vegetables are high in iodine which increases thyroid function.
-Soy in an a poor protein because it has very little Methionine. In practical terms this means that you could eat 20 grams of soy protein but only get 2 grams of complete protein. You're better off with eggs, meat/fish, or whatever the right combination of plant foods is needed to get a balanced amino acid profile.

StoOgE

edamame is pretty high in protein as far as soybeans go. You'll get about 16g for a cup of it.

But you need to be eating a gram of protein for every pound you weigh to keep your muscle mass where it is.

For example, a similar amount of chicken or eggs would have 5x the protein.

Look if you want to go on a short term crash diet you can probably get away with it for a week.. but long term weight loss you want to eat about a 500 calorie deficit. You are probably on a 1500-2000 calorie deficit. Long term it isn't healthy and you will put on whatever you lost straight away because you aren't learning to live a healthy lifestyle. Long term weight loss requires a change in lifestyle. What you are doing isn't sustainable so when you get off of the diet you will go right back to what you were doing and put the weight back on.

Dropped 20 lbs so far without exercise on low carb. Going to start exercise tomorrow; I want to go on an NYC bike ride with the girl and I need to get my endurance up. Probably just start at 1 mile and do some resistance work.

LFG

Neophyte
StoOgE said:
This would put me at about 222 (6'1")

This is me yesterday.. down right around 180 lbs.
[IMG]
[/quote]
you look like a different person! could be the lighting in the first pic throwing me off. either way congrats on your loss! love these before and after shots everyone is posting.

StoOgE

metamonk said:
you look like a different person! could be the lighting in the first pic throwing me off. either way congrats on your loss! love these before and after shots everyone is posting.

Thanks.

Believe me, when I look at some of those photos it blows my mind I got that big.. the gut is clearly huge, but it's things like my forearms that really blows me away. My arms are really well defined right now, and seeing that photo they look like sausages.

I still need to lose some weight from my gut, but if I ever need inspiration that I've made progress I just go look at my fat StoOgE photos :lol

StoOgE said:
Thanks.

Believe me, when I look at some of those photos it blows my mind I got that big.. the gut is clearly huge, but it's things like my forearms that really blows me away. My arms are really well defined right now, and seeing that photo they look like sausages.

I still need to lose some weight from my gut, but if I ever need inspiration that I've made progress I just go look at my fat StoOgE photos :lol

What did you do? low carb and exercise?

StoOgE

mysticwhip said:
What did you do? low carb and exercise?

Most of that was lost in the last 3 months, I dropped about 10 pounds over the first 9 months, and the rest of it in the last 3.

I run about 30 miles a week which seems like a lot but it's about an hour a day 4-5 days a week. That's worth about 3500 calories, which means I don't have to kill myself on the diet part. I also lift weights for about 1.5 hours a week, I do this on my lunch break at my works gym.

I have never really cut carbs, I like them too much and the times where I have cut carbs has backfired and led to me binging. I started cooking at home instead of eating out, and limit myself to whole wheat pasta and flour when I cook. I also cut soda from my diet completely and limit my beer/liquor intake to the weekends and only with friends. I also cut junk food out completely. No chips, no cookies, no ice cream, etc. I don't buy it. I buy fruit and eat that for snacks. If I am going to get a desert I do it when I'm at a restaurant. After a few weeks I figured out there was no need to eat that kind of snack food all the time.

I can cook lasagna at home and get a good amount of it in about 600-700 calories. Then I can take leftovers to work for the next few days and save money there (and avoid eating fast food). Running is easily the *best* workout. It just absorbs calories and I enjoy it. If you eat reasonable (home cooked lasagna and brisket included) and run enough you will lose weight. You just burn an insane amount of calories running.

I think the most important part is I don't feel like I'm on a diet. When I've lost weight before I went on a diet. And I hit a number, and "quit" being on a diet and put the weight back on within 6 months. This doesn't feel like I am dieting and I don't have a real "goal" (other than wanting my gut to go away). This feels like something I can continue to do for the rest of my life. In the past, the diets always felt like something that was unsustainable and a temporary measure to lose weight. This is a real lifestyle change. I enjoy cooking my own food now, and I really like going for runs. This is something other people always told me and I always blew it off.. I've taken it to heart and I can tell you it's real and it's the only way to make something like this stick.

Double Bonus: If you have a popular running trail in your city you should use it. The women who run on them are usually extremely attractive and extremely scantily clad. You get behind the right one of them on your run and you don't need any more motivation to keep up :lol

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not QUITE ready for a before or after pic of my full body (not at my goal weight yet), but here's a taste of how much weight I lost... you can tell how dramatic it is from my face alone. I wasn't going to post a pic til I was ready, but I lost a extra bit of weight this week and I've felt particularly proud of myself...

From 280lbs down to 195lbs (however I took the pic here when I was still 200lbs so I've lost more yet since then), I'll post a full body pic when I hit 165. Anyway I intentionally wore the same outfit for both pics for hilarious effect.

FatChris.jpg

280lbs
ChrisAmiSmall.jpg

200lbs

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Amir0x said:
I'm not QUITE ready for a before or after pic of my full body (not at my goal weight yet), but here's a taste of how much weight I lost... you can tell how dramatic it is from my face alone. I wasn't going to post a pic til I was ready, but I lost a extra bit of weight this week and I've felt particularly proud of myself...

From 280lbs down to 195lbs (however I took the pic here when I was still 200lbs so I've lost more yet since then), I'll post a full body pic when I hit 165. Anyway I intentionally wore the same outfit for both pics for hilarious effect.

FatChris.jpg

280lbs
ChrisAmiSmall.jpg

200lbs
Wow congrats u look even better than before. I really need to get back to the gym

StoOgE said:
Most of that was lost in the last 3 months, I dropped about 10 pounds over the first 9 months, and the rest of it in the last 3.

I run about 30 miles a week which seems like a lot but it's about an hour a day 4-5 days a week. That's worth about 3500 calories, which means I don't have to kill myself on the diet part. I also lift weights for about 1.5 hours a week, I do this on my lunch break at my works gym.

I have never really cut carbs, I like them too much and the times where I have cut carbs has backfired and led to me binging. I started cooking at home instead of eating out, and limit myself to whole wheat pasta and flour when I cook. I also cut soda from my diet completely and limit my beer/liquor intake to the weekends and only with friends. I also cut junk food out completely. No chips, no cookies, no ice cream, etc. I don't buy it. I buy fruit and eat that for snacks. If I am going to get a desert I do it when I'm at a restaurant. After a few weeks I figured out there was no need to eat that kind of snack food all the time.

I can cook lasagna at home and get a good amount of it in about 600-700 calories. Then I can take leftovers to work for the next few days and save money there (and avoid eating fast food). Running is easily the *best* workout. It just absorbs calories and I enjoy it. If you eat reasonable (home cooked lasagna and brisket included) and run enough you will lose weight. You just burn an insane amount of calories running.

I think the most important part is I don't feel like I'm on a diet. When I've lost weight before I went on a diet. And I hit a number, and "quit" being on a diet and put the weight back on within 6 months. This doesn't feel like I am dieting and I don't have a real "goal" (other than wanting my gut to go away). This feels like something I can continue to do for the rest of my life. In the past, the diets always felt like something that was unsustainable and a temporary measure to lose weight. This is a real lifestyle change. I enjoy cooking my own food now, and I really like going for runs. This is something other people always told me and I always blew it off.. I've taken it to heart and I can tell you it's real and it's the only way to make something like this stick.

Double Bonus: If you have a popular running trail in your city you should use it. The women who run on them are usually extremely attractive and extremely scantily clad. You get behind the right one of them on your run and you don't need any more motivation to keep up :lol
Thanks for the reply.I need an alternative to running as it's near impossible where I live currently( I should be able to do some running when I move back to the states in a couple months) So I guess i'll up my amount of exercise.

Big change, Amir0x. big change.

My friend when he came here to Japan was 300 pounds, and now he is 210, and is the single most athletic human being I've ever met. (he is a large guy, so 300 pounds wasn't quite corpulent on him. He just looked like a lineman. He did it all cycling across the unforgiving Tokyo streets.

I'm hoping to have some good before/after shots someday. I've lost 40 pounds so far, but I've got a long way to go.

The main problem with getting before/after shots is that I've actively avoided being photographed for a very long time, mainly due to being unhappy with my weight. I'll be able to get a good after shot, but I might have to do a bit of digging to find a before shot. :lol

BertramCooper said:
I'm hoping to have some good before/after shots someday. I've lost 40 pounds so far, but I've got a long way to go.

The main problem with getting before/after shots is that I've actively avoided being photographed for a very long time, mainly due to being unhappy with my weight. I'll be able to get a good after shot, but I might have to do a bit of digging to find a before shot. :lol

If you are anywhere near DFW, I'll take some pics for you! :) I totally understand the learned habit of avoiding cameras.

Amir0x

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Big change, Amir0x. big change.

My friend when he came here to Japan was 300 pounds, and now he is 210, and is the single most athletic human being I've ever met. (he is a large guy, so 300 pounds wasn't quite corpulent on him. He just looked like a lineman. He did it all cycling across the unforgiving Tokyo streets.

That's so good for him!

It's just nice to be able to do things again...without like, ya know, effort. I used to play baseball in high school, and I missed being light weight. I missed being athletic. I haven't gone swimming in like five years, I love swimming so much. I can't wait, wait to go back.

StoOgE

Amir0x said:
That's so good for him!

It's just nice to be able to do things again...without like, ya know, effort. I used to play baseball in high school, and I missed being light weight. I missed being athletic. I haven't gone swimming in like five years, I love swimming so much. I can't wait, wait to go back.

I went swimming this weekend and for the first time in about 3 years actually wasn't self conscious doing it. Even had a few girls come up and talk to me while we were there.. sadly, I'm still a loser and am pining over a friends roommate who was there with us.

Anyway, point being.. it is really nice to just be able to do shit like swim or play basketball or whatever without feeling like a fat ass.

Cmagus

So I started about 3 weeks ago after I decided to make some changes in life.One problem I had was I was badly addicted to pop to the point where I was drinking 2 bottles a day.Basically I woke up and just said what the hell am I doing to myself.So after 3 1/2 weeks now I have managed to kick all sugar and junk food which was surprisingly hard I honestly went through withdrawl from the pop.

Basically I start in the morning go for a walk/jog early, work then usually a long hour run after work or if its raining the treadmill.Also I needed to get my diet in check as I was eating nothing but bad food.I started at 183 pounds when I first weighed myself which is abit heavy considering I am around 5'7 and my goal was to get down to 150.

I plan on joining a gym maybe in a week or so depends I have some bills and stuff to look after first but I am definitely going to make it a priority.As of today going on my 4th week and starting at 183 I am down to 175 which is great I haven't been under 170 for quite some time now and I am getting close.

Eating wise I am picky and there is alot of stuff I can't eat that doesn't sit well as I need to watch what I eat and unfortunately I can do alot of red meat.
Generally I don't eat lunch often as I am simply not hungry and I can wait for dinner.I know I should but I am not gonna force myself if I am not hungry

Breakfast #1
Bowl of cheerios and fruit (sometimes fruit in the cereal) and a piece of whole grain toast with light butter with water

Breakfast #2
Poached egg on toast with some fruit and either milk or water

Dinner #1
Piece of chicken on a whole wheat small wrap with a little lettuce and a few small slices of cheese (x2) and some fruit and water

Dinner #2
Piece of chicken with a small serving of brown rice or a salad and fruit with water or milk

Pretty much my meals but in my opinion they are affordable and they work so why not.I am little worried about the gym stuff I want to start lifting weights again but right now my main focus is losing the weight because I rather not build muscle on top of what I have I want to get the weight down then build on that as I don't really want to be big in terms of muscles.

Anyways I am pleased and I hope by the end of this week if I can keep this up I can drop another 2-3 pounds and hopefully get myself in a gym.Sorry for the long post.

Cmagus said:
So I started about 3 weeks ago after I decided to make some changes in life.One problem I had was I was badly addicted to pop to the point where I was drinking 2 bottles a day.Basically I woke up and just said what the hell am I doing to myself.So after 3 1/2 weeks now I have managed to kick all sugar and junk food which was surprisingly hard I honestly went through withdrawl from the pop.
Caffeine withdrawal is an absolute bitch. I've given up pop several times throughout my life, and every time, I experience severe headaches for about a week. But once you wean yourself off of pop, you start to wonder why you ever liked it in the first place. I guess that's how addiction works.

And while I haven't totally given up coffee, I rarely drink it anymore. I used to rely on it to wake up in the morning, but I'm well past that stage. However, I still find myself visiting Tim Hortons for an Iced Capp every so often (made with milk instead of cream). I'm a slave to T-Ho's.

teh_pwn

The withdrawal of soda is two fold: sugar & caffeine.

Caffeine is relatively harmless if consumed early in the day. I'd recommend drinking a couple 4 oz servings of coffee daily. Should equal the caffeine content of about 6 cans of soda.

The reason why you get headaches during caffeine withdrawal is because caffeine slightly restricts blood flow in the frontal area of the brain. Over time your body adjusts. If you suddenly stop consuming caffeine, particularly cold turkey, too much blood flows in the front of the brain and that's what causes the headaches. Probably healthier to wean off caffeine or slowly build up rather than consuming a lot then nothing.

Sugar is what you really want to focus on. It ramps up insulin, makes the hypothalamus resistant to leptin. It literally changes the hormonal regulation in your body to make you fat, hungry, and tired.

Amir0x

Banned
You know it's funny, i drank SO MUCH SODA prior to my diet. But I had no problems stopping it. It's weird, in my whole life, I do so many incredibly addicting things but I've only ever been impacted by one. It's such an odd thing. I always try to test myself to see if I'm actually addicted or just too lazy to do something, and it always tends to be that I'm too lazy.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
yYbTp.jpg

So, I lost most of my weight by 2008. Now, I'd say I'm in my best shape, 5 years later. I used to weigh around 191. I now weigh 158.

LFG

Neophyte
i'm terrible at picking a healthy breakfast. the last couple of weeks i've been having a granola bar and water.

does 2 scrambled eggs and a yogurt sound like an okay breakfast? i want something that leaves me full and would be okay to eat on a regular basis.

Well I had a longer message I was going to post but I just felt like I was rambling. This thread has been an inspiration to continue towards my goal of losing the 70+ lbs and getting to my ideal weight. It's been about 3 weeks since my doctor visit and the realization that I just have to make a change. My wife and I have really been doing good about eating out, and eating better. Lots of very successful, and yummy dishes that aren't fucking terrible for you. We've been walking ALMOST every day, 2 miles, and plan to step it up a bit more in the coming weeks. I'm so out of shape (and we're smokers, blech! I know) that we're taking it slow so we don't over-exert ourselves, until it's a habit more than anything. It feels so good to get moving again. I'm noticing some slight changes in my weight, but I know there is much more work ahead for me to lose all that weight. I hope I can get back to swimming laps (I miss high school and the accessibility to these things) and just trying to prolong my life. I spent a lot of the last 7 years screwing myself over with drugs and the like, that it finally feels good to be alive.

So GAF, I hope in the coming months I too can post a before and after photo!

Thanks for all the stories and inspiration.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
metamonk said:
i'm terrible at picking a healthy breakfast. the last couple of weeks i've been having a granola bar and water.

does 2 scrambled eggs and a yogurt sound like an okay breakfast? i want something that leaves me full and would be okay to eat on a regular basis.

Egg whites are full of win. Maybe 1 yolk, but 2 whites for your scrambled eggs.

Top Bottom