• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

eternal prize said:
No but i'm guessing I should.

My legs are ripped as shit, but my upper body has been neglected unfortunately.

You should. Squat

I am sure the paleo dude above lifts some heavy shit

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
1 cup Fage Greek Yogurt: 20g protein

That's good! O:

If only it was bacon

Gilby

eternal prize said:
Shit that's all I eat! Lookin good bro

Well, if you're cycling a lot, carbs aren't that bad, they provide lots of calories. Maybe try paleo/keto/low-carb/whatever-you-wanna-call-it on your days off. No cardio: no carbs.

In general though, eat lots of protein and fat. I was eating almost a paleo diet before, but I still had oatmeal for breakfast everyday. I cut out the oatmeal, for breakfast I switched to scrambled eggs and spinach/broccoli/mushrooms in a giant bowl.

As Bronzewolf mentioned, you could start lifting weights to tone your upper body as well. If you don't have access to weights though, there's tons of stuff you can do with just bodyweight. My shoulders only started to really "rip" after I started planche training.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
BronzeWolf said:
He is already there. Weight loss from 200+ is pretty straightforward but at 180-, it becomes a body composition issue.
at 5'7"?????? I agree with you 100% as a general principle, but height and mass have to be taken into account. You have absolutely ripped running backs in the NFL not much taller and only at 160lb. 5'7" at 180 you either still have a noticeable bit of fat, or you are one of the most built/ripped mothers on the planet.

I guess I would agree with what you're saying for 5'7" maybe under 170lb.. definitely <165lb. over 170lb at that height though and there is more than likely fat there.

Rey Mysterio in the WWE is billed at 5'6" at 175lb, and his bulk is pretty massive while being fairly cut. Brian Kendrick is billed at 5'8" and 184lb and again is fairly bulky (for a normal person) and has very noticeable body fat (not cut by any stretch). And again, these are pro wrestlers where bulk and strength is part of the image. Get into a more rounded athlete like a running back or wide receiver (though much taller there than we are talking) and those mass ratios drop much further.

edit - what is paleo? I've been so frustrated with these last few pounds that I've been possibly looking at a hydroxycut and a more severe cutting program.. grrrr... half of me wants to stick it out and say "Look what Id id straight up with no additives or real dieting" and the other half just wants these last 4+ pounds out of my life for good.

I am 180@5'7" and pretty damn normal with very low BF, specially after a cut cycle where I got back to 172.

What I am saying is that below 180 you should get worried about your workout regimen and food composition instead of flatout losing weight.

At 180 lb I would look into building muscle, then cutting down to 172 to show those abs.

Paleo is paleolithic diet.

What people mean by that is really neo-paleolithic. You eat unprocessed food almost entirely, but for a few processed foods that are good for you like butter and dairy.

borghe

BronzeWolf said:
What I am saying is that below 180 you should get worried about your workout regimen and food composition instead of flatout losing weight.
I think you are bulkier than you realize personally, as my examples above kind of show.. but with that being said, I do agree with the quoted part here. once you are getting down to that last 10-20 pounds it's very important to start maintaining status quo in regards to diet and training. your lifestyle starting then is presumably the lifestyle you'll continue on long after your goal is reached. definitely.

cbox

Gilby said:
Well, if you're cycling a lot, carbs aren't that bad, they provide lots of calories. Maybe try paleo/keto/low-carb/whatever-you-wanna-call-it on your days off. No cardio: no carbs.

In general though, eat lots of protein and fat. I was eating almost a paleo diet before, but I still had oatmeal for breakfast everyday. I cut out the oatmeal, for breakfast I switched to scrambled eggs and spinach/broccoli/mushrooms in a giant bowl.

As Bronzewolf mentioned, you could start lifting weights to tone your upper body as well. If you don't have access to weights though, there's tons of stuff you can do with just bodyweight. My shoulders only started to really "rip" after I started planche training.

Solid, thanks man - I'll look into it!

Salaadin

Its difficult. I dropped so much weight simply following this calories in/calories out thing. People ask me how hard it was was and I tell them that it wasnt at all. You just stick with it and it happens. Let your body do the rest.

But now that Im at this last 10-20 lbs to lose, I just cant do it. Calories no longer cut it for me as I find myself hungry as all hell. Some days I feel like Im starving myself even though I typically take in 1700-1900 calories a day. I then end up eating a shitload more than I usually do and feeling guilty about it until I crank down again, cut more calories, get hungry again, etc. Its a vicious cycle. 141 lbs was nothing to lose. 20 more lbs is killing me.

I think first things first, I gotta start bringing my own food to work everyday. Im constantly eating out and using the excuse that I dont have time to make my own lunch but Im full of shit. Any tips for this? What does a week of lunches typically look like for you guys?

Weight training is something Ive largely neglected so Im left with a pretty untoned skinny body. I really need to get rolling on that too. Any suggestions for cheap dumbbells, pull up bars, programs or anything else I can check out to help me get started?

I know Im being whiny but Im unsure of how to change this calories in/out mentality Ive had for the past 2 years. Im obsessed with it. I know that once I can get into the right mindset, itll be smooth sailing. I just cant seem to get there yet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BronzeWolf said:
I am 180@5'7" and pretty damn normal with very low BF, specially after a cut cycle where I got back to 172

You either have far too much muscle or fat to be "pretty damn normal".

I'm right at 14% bodyfat at 182 pounds, but I'm 6" taller than you.

At your height and weight you are on the high side of "overweight" on the BMI scale. Doesn't mean you are fat, but it means you at least have a lot more muscle than a normal person.

grumble

borghe said:
the american standards thing is pretty funny actually... everyone I know says I am "too skinny" when they see me out and about.. but between lifting weights where I am at (as mentioned above) and really being annoyed with my gut and remaining love handles, it puzzles me when they say too skinny and actually mean it (vs. just more or less paying a compliment). America really is fat, and a little overweight here is generally regarded as VERY fit. mind you I think people look good with a little fat/meat on their bones.. especially women.. but it is funny how once people approach that sub-10% body fat level everyone starts calling them too skinny unless they have a shitload of muscle packed on.

Personally, I think there can be such a thing as 'too skinny'. If you have very low bodyfat, you often get hormone and energy issues. The human body is usually pretty happy at 12-15%, and forcing it below that with caloric restriction might not be optimal.

StoOgE

Salaadin said:
I think first things first, I gotta start bringing my own food to work everyday. Im constantly eating out and using the excuse that I dont have time to make my own lunch but Im full of shit. Any tips for this? What does a week of lunches typically look like for you guys?

Weight training is something Ive largely neglected so Im left with a pretty untoned skinny body. I really need to get rolling on that too. Any suggestions for cheap dumbbells, pull up bars, programs or anything else I can check out to help me get started?

I know Im being whiny but Im unsure of how to change this calories in/out mentality Ive had for the past 2 years. Im obsessed with it. I know that once I can get into the right mindset, itll be smooth sailing. I just cant seem to get there yet.

Cook your own food at night, take leftovers to work. Saves money and is much better for you.

Start working out. Run, play a sport, lift. Something. You are not going to get into shape just by cutting calories. You have to do something on the excercize side.

You are also probably hitting a wall which is normal. Your body is programmed to store fat for a rainy day. It doens't want to give it up, especially after it has given up so much already. Stick with it. Also, do cardio. If you burn 5-600 calories a day running (or something else) it means you can eat 2300 or so calories and be "ahead" of where you were on the calorie count now.

This is me@182lb before cutting to 172

I am back at 182lb but much leaner now

IMG_0012.JPG

much leaner indeed. No super abs but lost the love handles and I can live with that

Salaadin said:
Its difficult. I dropped so much weight simply following this calories in/calories out thing. People ask me how hard it was was and I tell them that it wasnt at all. You just stick with it and it happens. Let your body do the rest.

But now that Im at this last 10-20 lbs to lose, I just cant do it. Calories no longer cut it for me as I find myself hungry as all hell. Some days I feel like Im starving myself even though I typically take in 1700-1900 calories a day. I then end up eating a shitload more than I usually do and feeling guilty about it until I crank down again, cut more calories, get hungry again, etc. Its a vicious cycle. 141 lbs was nothing to lose. 20 more lbs is killing me.

Stop the calorie ins vs. calories out approach and start thinking in terms of low carb eating. Starvation diets are awful and 20 lb on 2 years is 1/5 a lb a week which is pretty fucking shameful for a weight loss diet. Normal is 2 lb per week, which is what I did when I cut last month.

About exercise, get into a gym and do this http://startingstrength.wikia.com/

StoOgE

grumble said:
Personally, I think there can be such a thing as 'too skinny'. If you have very low bodyfat, you often get hormone and energy issues. The human body is usually pretty happy at 12-15%, and forcing it below that with caloric restriction might not be optimal.

I tend to agree that there is an obsession with flat stomach's and abs (I know, I have it myself) that isn't necessary from a health standpoint. I know that I am healthy where I am. 14% bodyfat, well in the normal BMI range, waistline is less than half of my height. Blood pressure, cholesterol and resting heart rate are all fine and I can run 5 miles hardly feeling like I'm even working out anymore.

That said, I still want a 6 pack. :lol

Back to borghe's point though, several people have told me that I don't need to lose anymore weight or that I might have lost too much. I'm on the upper half of a "normal" BMI and still have a nice little gut. I think standards of "normal" in the US have gotten a bit wacky and has reached a point where "normal" means "10 pounds overweight" in this country.

Salaadin

StoOgE said:
Cook your own food at night, take leftovers to work. Saves money and is much better for you.

Start working out. Run, play a sport, lift. Something. You are not going to get into shape just by cutting calories. You have to do something on the excercize side.

You are also probably hitting a wall which is normal. Your body is programmed to store fat for a rainy day. It doens't want to give it up, especially after it has given up so much already. Stick with it. Also, do cardio. If you burn 5-600 calories a day running (or something else) it means you can eat 2300 or so calories and be "ahead" of where you were on the calorie count now.

I shouldve specified. I do exercise daily. Walking, running, cycling. It all depends on who Im with and what day it is. Typically, I get 45-90 mins of straight exercise a day. I think one of my bigger problems is that I still consume less than 2000 calories a day with the exercise. My body probably thinks that Im starving it.

EDIT: Checking out starting strength now. Thanks for the link

Salaadin said:
I shouldve specified. I do exercise daily. Walking, running, cycling. It all depends on who Im with and what day it is. Typically, I get 45-90 mins of straight exercise a day. I think one of my bigger problems is that I still consume less than 2000 calories a day with the exercise. My body probably thinks that Im starving it.

Wait, what's your height/weight?

StoOgE

BronzeWolf said:
This is me@182lb before cutting to 172

Looks to me like you have a big frame, broader shoulders than normal for sure. I would be curious if you've ever had a bone density test done. You are more muscular than me for sure, but you don't look as jacked as your BMI would lead me to believe.

StoOgE said:
Looks to me like you have a big frame, broader shoulders than normal for sure. I would be curious if you've ever had a bone density test done. You are more muscular than me for sure, but you don't look as jacked as your BMI would lead me to believe.

Most of my weight is on my legs though. I really work them out because it's what I depend the most on

StoOgE

Salaadin said:

EDIT: Checking out starting strength now. Thanks for the link

Yeah, sounds like you may be putting your body in starvation mode. It also explains why you binge.. your body is demanding more food, and at some point your bodies natural desire to survive is going to win out over your willpower to lose weight.. and the food your body craves is going to be filled with carbs and fat because that is what the body feels it needs right then.

Calorie In vs Calorie Out *will* let you lose weight.. however, if you are just counting calories and not getting nutrional meals it becomes unsustainable. Honestly, just eat healthy and the rest takes care of itself.

Salaadin

BronzeWolf said:
Wait, what's your height/weight?

5'7'', 175 lbs.

A little over 2 years ago (I started dieting 6/1/08). I was 313 lbs with high blood pressure. The bulk of the weight melted off easily but this last 20 is killing me so Im finally deciding that I need to change something.

Salaadin said:
5'7'', 175 lbs.

A little over 2 years ago (I started dieting 6/1/08). I was 313 lbs with high blood pressure. The bulk of the weight melted off easily but this last 20 is killing me so Im finally deciding that I need to change something.

Congratulations, you have arrived :]

Zoe

Salaadin said:
5'7'', 175 lbs.

Completely ignorant question and probably doesn't apply since you lost at a slow pace, but is it possible that some of what you're left struggling with is excess skin?

Salaadin

Zoe said:
Completely ignorant question and probably doesn't apply since you lost at a slow pace, but is it possible that some of what you're left struggling with is excess skin?
Theres definitely excess skin but theres still some fat in there also that I can see and feel. Thats what Im looking to get rid of and Im hoping that will pick up the skin some more. If not, then can someone link me to the official neogaf tummy tuck thread? :D

Being as big as I was for as long as I was (doctors have been wanting me to lose weight probably since I was 13. Im 25 now), Im not sure the skin is recoverable. Some sources out there claim that loose skin is a big myth and that if you continue to lose fat and add muscle, the skin will return to its original shape. Im not too sure thats the case 100% of the time. Im still young so Im going to try to get back as much as I can before taking any more drastic approaches.

Jay Sosa

BronzeWolf said:
Fruits and cereal are overrated, don't trust anyone who advices eating fruit to lose weight, please

Thanks for the advice, will eat steak from now on instead..

Leaves thread in disbelief

moniker

Jay Sosa said:

Uh, steak is better food when you want to lose weight (or just have a good, healthy, diet) than fruit. Most fruit you get from the grocery store are water, sugar and little else.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Jay Sosa said:

Your whole grain cereal may be slightly better than Trix, but it's still not ideal for fat loss. You can see the powdered sugar on it.

Low carb or not, excessive sugar/fructose is your worst enemy with fat loss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

And steak, especially from pastured cattle, is extremely good for the heart and at preventing cancer.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/05/pastured-dairy-may-prevent-heart.html

Gilby

Jay Sosa said:

As has been pointed out, steak will not cause you to hold onto weight. As far as something practical to snack on: veggies.

Ultima_5

I'm sure this has been asked 100s of times, but I don't want to scan the thread and/or make a seperate one soo.....

Any running tips for noobs? So far this summer I've been walking about 8 miles a day (2 separate walks of 4 miles each.) Since summer school has started, I only have time for 1 walk. I want to lose more weight before I go back to college, so today I went for my first run/jog. I alternated running/walking. I generally ran until it became to uncofortable for me to continue. I would then walk.

Any tips and/or things I did wrong? Thanks in advance. :D

Salaadin

Ultima_5 said:
I'm sure this has been asked 100s of times, but I don't want to scan the thread and/or make a seperate one soo.....

Any running tips for noobs? So far this summer I've been walking about 8 miles a day (2 separate walks of 4 miles each.) Since summer school has started, I only have time for 1 walk. I want to lose more weight before I go back to college, so today I went for my first run/jog. I alternated running/walking. I generally ran until it became to uncofortable for me to continue. I would then walk.

Im new to running as well so I dont know much but I will say that getting a decent pair of running shoes was the best thing I ever did. Its easier to run and me legs arent killing me that night and the days after. They can be pricey but your legs will thank you.

Ultima_5

Salaadin said:
Im new to running as well so I dont know much but I will say that getting a decent pair of running shoes was the best thing I ever did. Its easier to run and me legs arent killing me that night and the days after. They can be pricey but your legs will thank you.
I purchased a cheap pair of running shoes from costco, because I figured running in my converse would fuck my feet up. I figured i would upgrade to better shoes after I prove to myself I can stick to if for awhile :lol

borghe

Grab THE CORRECT SIZE of decent ruining shoes. For years I bought 10.5 American because those are what fit the best. Then I got my feet measured at the rockport store and found out I was a 10EE instead. The shoes (both work and running) fit infinitely better.

As for quality shoe. Honestly my New Balance MR749's are freaking awesome, highly rated as a stability shoe overall regardless of price, and come in under $70 on Amazon. I actually think I am needing a new pair because of the miles ive put on them this year. They've taken me from a 15:00 pace to my current ~7:45 pace. Probably around 400 miles so far.

Holy shit. Ive never really thought about how much vie run this year. Holy shit....

Lan_97

Consider trying minimalist footwear or even going barefoot. If you do some research into it, you will find that modern footwear may be causing more problems than solving.

I've been running in Vibram FiveFingers for the past few weeks and its really made running quite enjoyable. I also read Born to Run which was good inspiration to add running into my routine (I usually just stick with strength training). At this point, running is more like leisure. No music, no zoning out, just enjoy the run.

Ultima_5 said:

I have a couple of things to say about running

1. Get the right shoes. Don't be fooled by Nike into thinking that you need 2 inches of padding, as that will only make your shin splints even more painful. Get a tennis shoe that FITS and that has good ventilation. I like ASICs because they aren't as aggressive about their padding, but you have to try them yourself.

2. Running is freaking hard. It's one of the most difficult activities one can try. The fitness curve for jogging is very slow, and unlike say, weight training, noob gains are not seen until months into training. Your objective at first should not be on running super fast or super long, but just on running what you can and how you can. If you know that running is hard beforehand, you won't burnout as easily.

StoOgE

Ultima_5 said:

Keep running well beyond when it gets uncomftorable. Then jog, don't walk.

Start on shorter runs.. 1-2 miles. Work your way up SLOWLY.

And you can't run every day, you need off days where you run at half your full speed or days you just take off completely.

Podcasts are also your friend.

Gilby

Lan_97 said:
Consider trying minimalist footwear or even going barefoot. If you do some research into it, you will find that modern footwear may be causing more problems than solving.

I've been running in Vibram FiveFingers for the past few weeks and its really made running quite enjoyable. I also read Born to Run which was good inspiration to add running into my routine (I usually just stick with strength training). At this point, running is more like leisure. No music, no zoning out, just enjoy the run.

This. Barefoot running is a blast! Running without shoes is like sex without a condom :lol

Jay Sosa

teh_pwn said:
Your whole grain cereal may be slightly better than Trix, but it's still not ideal for fat loss. You can see the powdered sugar on it.

Low carb or not, excessive sugar/fructose is your worst enemy with fat loss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

And steak, especially from pastured cattle, is extremely good for the heart and at preventing cancer.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/05/pastured-dairy-may-prevent-heart.html

It was just some pic I took from google, I sure as hell don't put sugar in my cereal.

And I always was under the impression that you should not eat too much meat no matter if organic or lean or whatever. May I ask where you guys get your vitamines and fibers from? Please con't tell me from pills..

Maybe we should differentiate between eating just to lose weight and eating healthy and losing weight. Eating red meat every day is NOT healthy.

Well GAF I confess I bulged back up to 162 from 156. Problem is I am stuck at a fucking desk all day in the summer and I am not walking around nearly as much like when I was on campus. Also have 3 hour nightclasses tuesday, wednesday, and thursday after work is killing any routine I try to develop.

My meals are usually 2 60 calorie yogurts, a ham and cheese sandwich, and some sort of plumb.

I usually eat a whole wheat bagel in the morning with some cream cheese. Doing this, I have already dropped back to 161. I just need to get my running routine back in rhythm.

The_Inquisitor said:
Well GAF I confess I bulged back up to 162 from 156. Problem is I am stuck at a fucking desk all day in the summer and I am not walking around nearly as much like when I was on campus. Also have 3 hour nightclasses tuesday, wednesday, and thursday after work is killing any routine I try to develop.

My meals are usually 2 60 calorie yogurts, a ham and cheese sandwich, and some sort of plumb.

I usually eat a whole wheat bagel in the morning with some cream cheese. Doing this, I have already dropped back to 161. I just need to get my running routine back in rhythm.
Can you run before work? That's why I've started doing because I find by the time evening rolls around, I'm often tired or just not in the mood.

Salaadin

Neuromancer said:
Can you run before work? That's why I've started doing because I find by the time evening rolls around, I'm often tired or just not in the mood.

I second this. Morning exercise is just better. Once you get used to dragging your ass our of bed early, its easy.

LFG

Neophyte
so today my breakfast consisted of egg whites, 2 slices of canadian bacon and a bowl of kashi go lean crunch with skim milk, 1 serving of each. was so good and much better than my granola bar breakfast :D

then i went on a three mile walk with my dogs. i want to start running (will get good shoes) but just walking really worked up a sweat. now, to figure out a decent lunch and dinner. i'm avoiding bread and rice as much as possible. i feel better already, mentally. i'm motivated. can't wait to start shedding some pounds now!

Lan_97

Jay Sosa said:
And I always was under the impression that you should not eat too much meat no matter if organic or lean or whatever. May I ask where you guys get your vitamines and fibers from? Please con't tell me from pills..

Maybe we should differentiate between eating just to lose weight and eating healthy and losing weight. Eating red meat every day is NOT healthy.

Fresh fruits and vegetables.

A diet of meat, fruits, and vegetables is incredibly healthy. If you do some research you may find that what you learn in health class (and what the general public and many health professionals believe) isn't entirely correct.

Jay Sosa said:
It was just some pic I took from google, I sure as hell don't put sugar in my cereal.

Please prove the bold

metamonk said:
so today my breakfast consisted of egg whites, 2 slices of canadian bacon and a bowl of kashi go lean crunch with skim milk, 1 serving of each. was so good and much better than my granola bar breakfast :D

then i went on a three mile walk with my dogs. i want to start running (will get good shoes) but just walking really worked up a sweat. now, to figure out a decent lunch and dinner. i'm avoiding bread and rice as much as possible. i feel better already, mentally. i'm motivated. can't wait to start shedding some pounds now!

Steak with veggies and sweet potatoes and water = perfect lunch

The_Inquisitor said:

Why do you need to drop any more weight? You are already there. If anything, you should start looking at eating better and more

Omiee

so im kinda new here but this is my question.
im 21 yeqrs old and im about 184cm tall. problem for me now is that i weigh about 92.
i gained a lot of kgs lateley because of my job, used to be 78kgs but working untill 12 o clock and eating fastfood and than sleaping ended up with me gaining a lot of weight in a short period of time.

i would love to loose about 10kgs in 2 months if thats possible, any help for me gaf.

teh_pwn

Jay Sosa said:

Too much meat? The Eskimos & Inuit ate almost entirely meat and were documented as being very healthy and living to an old age.

Give me controlled studies showing that red meat is bad. I don't want government guidelines, tabloid 'science' articles like from msnbc/cnn.com, but links to studies.

I'll give you something to start with, which is what I linked you to in whole health source, but since you clearly didn't read it, I'll post the abstracts/conclusions.

Vitamin K2 & CLA from red meat and dairy:

BACKGROUND AND AIM: Vitamin K dependent proteins have been demonstrated to inhibit vascular calcification. Data on the effect of vitamin K intake on coronary heart disease (CHD) risk, however, are scarce. To examine the relationship between dietary vitamins K(1) and K(2) intake, and its subtypes, and the incidence of CHD. METHODS AND RESULTS: We used data from the Prospect-EPIC cohort consisting of 16,057 women, enrolled between 1993 and 1997 and aged 49-70 years, who were free of cardiovascular diseases at baseline. Intake of vitamin K and other nutrients was estimated with a food frequency questionnaire. Multivariate Cox proportional hazards models were used to analyse the data. After a mean+/-SD follow-up of 8.1+/-1.6 years, we identified 480 incident cases of CHD. Mean vitamin K(1) intake was 211.7+/-100.3 microg/d and vitamin K(2) intake was 29.1+/-12.8 microg/d. After adjustment for traditional risk factors and dietary factors, we observed an inverse association between vitamin K(2) and risk of CHD with a Hazard Ratio (HR) of 0.91 [95% CI 0.85-1.00] per 10 microg/d vitamin K(2) intake. This association was mainly due to vitamin K(2) subtypes MK-7, MK-8 and MK-9. Vitamin K(1) intake was not significantly related to CHD. CONCLUSIONS: A high intake of menoquinones, especially MK-7, MK-8 and MK-9, could protect against CHD. However, more research is necessary to define optimal intake levels of vitamin K intake for the prevention of CHD.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19179058

BACKGROUND: Despite the high saturated fat content of dairy products, no clear association between dairy product intake and risk of myocardial infarction (MI) has been observed. Dairy products are the main source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA; 18:2n-7t), which is produced by the ruminal biohydrogenation of grasses eaten by cows. Pasture-grazing dairy cows have more CLA in their milk than do grain-fed cows. Some animal models have reported beneficial effects of CLA on atherosclerosis. OBJECTIVE: The objective was to determine the association between the 9c,11t-CLA isomer in adipose tissue and risk of MI. DESIGN: The studied population consisted of 1813 incident cases of a first nonfatal acute MI and 1813 population-based controls matched for age, sex, and area of residence. All subjects lived in Costa Rica-a country that uses traditional pasture-grazing for dairy cows. Conditional logistic regression was used to estimate multivariate odds ratios and 95% CIs. RESULTS: Adipose tissue 9c,11t-CLA was associated with a lower risk of MI in basic and multivariate models. Compared with the lowest quintile, odds ratios and 95% CIs were 0.80 (0.61, 1.04) for the second, 0.86 (0.64, 1.14) for the third, 0.62 (0.46, 0.84) for the fourth, and 0.51 (0.36, 0.71) for the fifth quintiles (P for trend <0.0001). Dairy intake was not associated with risk of MI, despite a strong risk associated with saturated fat intake. CONCLUSION: 9c,11t-CLA, which is present in meaningful amounts in the milk of pasture-grazed cows, might offset the adverse effect of the saturated fat content of dairy products.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20463040

BACKGROUND: Anticarcinogenic activities of vitamin K have been observed in animal and cell studies. OBJECTIVE: On the basis of the growth inhibitory effects of vitamin K as observed in a variety of cancer cell lines, we hypothesized that dietary intake of phylloquinone (vitamin K(1)) and menaquinones (vitamin K(2)) may be associated with overall cancer incidence and mortality. DESIGN: In the prospective EPIC-Heidelberg (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition-Heidelberg) cohort study, 24,340 participants aged 35-64 y and free of cancer at enrollment (1994-1998) were actively followed up for cancer incidence and mortality through 2008. Dietary vitamin K intake was estimated from food-frequency questionnaires completed at baseline by using HPLC-based food-composition data. Multivariate-adjusted hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% CIs were estimated by using Cox proportional hazards models. RESULTS: During a median follow-up time of >10 y, 1755 incident cancer cases occurred, of which 458 were fatal. Dietary intake of menaquinones was nonsignificantly inversely associated with overall cancer incidence (HR for the highest compared with the lowest quartile: 0.86; 95% CI: 0.73, 1.01; P for trend = 0.08), and the association was stronger for cancer mortality (HR: 0.72; 95% CI: 0.53, 0.98; P for trend = 0.03). Cancer risk reduction with increasing intake of menaquinones was more pronounced in men than in women, mainly driven by significant inverse associations with prostate (P for trend = 0.03) and lung (P for trend = 0.002) cancer. We found no association with phylloquinone intake. CONCLUSION: These findings suggest that dietary intake of menaquinones, which is highly determined by the consumption of cheese, is associated with a reduced risk of incident and fatal cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20335553

High fat improve lipid profile:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/67/3/573S.pdf

As for you "healthy" cereal:
1. Heart attacks are caused/associated with small, dense subclass of low density lipoprotein (LDL).

The association of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) subclass patterns with coronary heart disease was investigated in a case-control study of nonfatal myocardial infarction. Subclasses of LDL were analyzed by gradient gel electrophoresis of plasma samples from 109 cases and 121 controls. The LDL subclass pattern characterized by a preponderance of small, dense LDL particles was significantly associated with a threefold increased risk of myocardial infarction, independent of age, sex, and relative weight
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/260/13/1917

2. Low fat, high carb diets increase small, dense LDL (which cause heart attacks, see above):

With high-fat diets, 87 subjects had predominantly large, buoyant LDL (pattern A), whereas the remainder had primarily smaller, denser LDL (pattern B).

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abs...fbf6b2a821cbddf9972e7ddd&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

3. Grains inhibit mineral absorbtion due to phytic acid:
The marked inhibitory effect of bran on iron absorption can almost completely be explained by its content of phytates. There are other inhibiting factor(s) as well in bran but they play only a minor role especially in meat containing meals. Several studies were made to clarify the role of phytates. Enzymatic dephytinization of bran almost fully removed its inhibiting effect. The same was observed when washing bran with hydrochloric acid. A "physiological" mixture of monoferric, potassium and magnesium phytates showed the same inhibition of the absorption of iron as bran with the same phytate content. There was a strong semilogarithmic relationship (r = 0.99) between the inhibition of iron absorption and the amount of phytates. As little as 5-10 mg phytate phosphorus added to a wheat roll containing 3 mg iron inhibited iron absorption by 50 per cent. Ascorbic acid as well as meat strongly counteracted this inhibition. It was concluded that if bran is used to increase the dietary fiber intake that would interfere with the absorption of iron. However, if the intake of ascorbic acid and/or meat are sufficiently increased in the bran containing meals that would effectively counteract the inhibition of the iron absorption by the phytates in bran (wheat fiber).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2820048
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/474478

Whole grain actually has more phytic acid than white:
BACKGROUND: Phytic acid has been reported to impair the absorption of minerals and trace elements such as calcium, zinc, and iron in humans. However, limited information is available on the effect of phytic acid on magnesium absorption. OBJECTIVE: The objective was to evaluate the effect of phytic acid on fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. DESIGN: Two stable-isotope studies were performed with 8-9 healthy adults per study. Test meals were based on 200 g phytic acid-free wheat bread; test meals with and without added phytic acid were served on days 1 and 3 according to a crossover design. Phytic acid was added in amounts similar to those naturally present in whole-meal (1.49 mmol) and in brown bread (0.75 mmol). Each test meal was labeled with 0.7 mmol (25)Mg or 1.1 mmol (26)Mg. The total magnesium content was standardized to 3.6 mmol in all test meals. Apparent magnesium absorption was based on fecal monitoring. RESULTS: The addition of phytic acid lowered fractional apparent magnesium absorption from 32.5 +/- 6.9% (no added phytic acid) to 13.0 +/- 6.9% (1.49 mmol added phytic acid; P < 0.0005) and from 32.2 +/- 12.0% (no added phytic acid) to 24.0 +/- 12.9% (0.75 mmol added phytic acid; P < 0.01). The inhibiting effect of phytic acid was dose dependent (P < 0.005). CONCLUSION: The results show that fractional magnesium absorption from white-wheat bread is significantly impaired by the addition of phytic acid, in a dose-dependent manner, at amounts similar to those naturally present in whole-meal and brown bread.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14985216

3.5. Minerals are important, because low magnesium & calcium are correlated with obesity in kids. They hypothesize that it's due to the effect of magnesium & calcium independently increasing insulin sensitivity:

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/164/5/449
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2004/1/21/magnesium-rich-foods-reduce-diabetes-risk-study/

4. More studies showing improvement of lipid profile:
CONCLUSIONS: Mediterranean and low-carbohydrate diets may be effective alternatives to low-fat diets. The more favorable effects on lipids (with the low-carbohydrate diet) and on glycemic control (with the Mediterranean diet) suggest that personal preferences and metabolic considerations might inform individualized tailoring of dietary interventions. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00160108.) 2008 Massachusetts Medical Society
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18635428

There were significant decreases in fasting serum TAG (33%), postprandial lipemia
after a fat-rich meal (29%), and fasting serum insulin concentrations (34%) after men consumed the ketogenic
diet. Fasting serum total and LDL cholesterol and oxidized LDL were unaffected and HDL cholesterol tended to
increase with the ketogenic diet (11.5%; P  0.066). In subjects with a predominance of small LDL particles
pattern B, there were significant increases in mean and peak LDL particle diameter and the percentage of LDL-1
after the ketogenic diet. There were no significant changes in blood lipids in the control group. To our knowledge
this is the first study to document the effects of a ketogenic diet on fasting and postprandial CVD biomarkers
independent of weight loss. The results suggest that a short-term ketogenic diet does not have a deleterious effect
on CVD risk profile and may improve the lipid disorders characteristic of atherogenic dyslipidemia. J
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/132/7/1879

Also:

1. Fructose (from your sugar/sucrose rich cereal) causes hypertension:
http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v74/n4/abs/ki2008184a.html

2. Fructose (from your sugar/sucrose rich cereal) causing leptin resistance (persistent hunger regardless of caloric intake). The rats basically ate themselves to death:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18703413

3. If any correlation can be drawn from the rise of obesity and changes in dietary habits from 1970-today, it's an increase of vegetable oils, decrease of animal fat, and increase of sugar/wheat:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/12/us-weight-lifestyle-and-diet-trends.html

4. High protein, low carb diet improves body composition regardless of caloric intake:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/83/2/260

5. Lectins from grains causing leptin resistance:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10

teh_pwn

Missed these first two in my massive last post.

Jay Sosa said:

Sugar is already in it. Raisins, honey, HFCS, sugar typically. Grains taste terrible by themselves.

May I ask where you guys get your vitamines and fibers from? Please con't tell me from pills..

Beef
chicken
sausage
Broccoli
spinach
onions
tomatoes
bell peppers
cashews
peanuts
cheese (link would have more vitamins, but whfoods is a nutty low fat site)
dark chocolate
berries
olive oil
coconut oil
fish oil
eggs

As I posted above, grains leech minerals. You can have "100%" vitamins from your cereal, but it's typically added in forms like "magnesium oxide" which your body under perfect conditions can only absorb a small amount. Same sort of stuff in centrum/pills (nothing wrong with good pills in modest amounts, but food is ideal).

But as I posted above, grains contain phytic acid, which significantly inhibits the absorption of just about every mineral.

Omiee said:
so im kinda new here but this is my question.
im 21 yeqrs old and im about 184cm tall. problem for me now is that i weigh about 92.
i gained a lot of kgs lateley because of my job, used to be 78kgs but working untill 12 o clock and eating fastfood and than sleaping ended up with me gaining a lot of weight in a short period of time.

i would love to loose about 10kgs in 2 months if thats possible, any help for me gaf.
Here's my advice.

Get a pedometer (this is the one I use and I think it's great). Put it in your pocket or clip it to your belt and wear it for a week, just doing what you're doing ordinarily.

General health and fitness recommend you get 10,000 steps a day. So wherever you're at on average, try increasing to 10,000 instead- you can do it slowly over time with the goal of 10,000 after a few weeks. You can do this by walking if you want, or jogging or running- whatever you want really. If you were getting 5,000 before and you double it, I can pretty much guarantee you'll see results. Other than that, common sense stuff- try to only do fast food a couple times a week, make lunches to bring to work, and cook dinner for yourself.

Oh yeah and try not to eat anything for a couple hours before going to bed, at least.

Doing pretty much this, plus just a little bit of weight lifting, has lost me about 15 pounds, but I've got another 15 pounds to go before I hit my target weight.

teh_pwn

As the 4th of July is coming along, I think it would be a good idea to talk about damage control while traveling.

For example, what kinds of fast food are preferable because there isn't a kitchen. It's not about ideal, it's about minimizing the damage.

It's something I'm not terribly familiar with, but here are two things that I get on occasion:

1. Panda Express
-Mixed Vegetables
-Kung Pao Chicken
-Broccoli Beef
-Water & toss the Chinese cookie

2. Wendy's
-Triple Stack
-If socially acceptable, toss the bread and use a knife/fork. Ie, make it a poor man's steak.

3. ???

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Alright, so now I'm ketosis...

My food intake looks like this ( +-1% )

200g protein
85g fat
20g carbs

1600 kcal, ( my maintenance is lower than average so I need to stay at relatively low energy intake to be under my maintenance )

So what do I need to do for zero ( or as close as ) muscle loss? Am I on the right track?

teh_pwn

Corky said:
Alright, so now I'm ketosis...

My food intake looks like this ( +-1% )

200g protein
85g fat
20g carbs

1600 kcal, ( my maintenance is lower than average so I need to stay at relatively low energy intake to be under my maintenance )

So what do I need to do for zero ( or as close as ) muscle loss? Am I on the right track?

I don't think you're at risk of losing much lean tissue because your body has no reason to cannibalize lean tissue. With insulin low, anabolic hormones are able to pull body fat out, convert it to free fatty acids, and feed it to cells for energy. So internally your metabolism still has a caloric surplus assuming you aren't thin. Furthermore, you're getting plenty of dietary protein & fat, so the body has no reason to cannibalize non-essential lean tissue (like leg muscles) to repair the heart & essential organs. That's assuming the dietary protein is complete, and you're getting plenty of all of the essential fats (omega 3 is the easiest to miss).

I did P90X last year, and every now and then I do pull ups, push ups, shoulders/arms, and I haven't lost a bit of strength (nor have I gained).

After 1-3 weeks after adapting to ketosis, there's nothing wrong with weight training and some cardio. I'm doing about 30-45 minutes of elliptical training about 4 days per week myself (my knee is getting better all of the sudden after nearly 2 years of inflammation), but I didn't have this kind of energy just after I hit ketosis, nor am I always in ketosis.

Here's a study showing exercise performance being unchanged after 6 weeks on a ketogenic diet, talks about lots of possible reasons, why it's possible that the performance is still lower but the fat loss enabled greater baseline performance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524027/

isny

napkin dispenser
Some help would be appreciated.

6'1' here, 195-200 pounds, looking to lose about 20-25 permanantly, any help with what/when to eat would be appreciated. (I already do quite a bit of jogging, but it doesn't help much)

Top Bottom