• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Wiktor

Any way to get "tighter" skin? I've lost a lot of weight and have been lucky enough to not have any loose skin... with that said I rather be safe than sorry so I'd love some tips and advice to avoid any loose skin that might occur during these last pounds.

-eat a lot of protein
-keep yourself hydrated
-skin creams, brand or price doesn't matter. What matters is how often you do it and how long you massage it in. I'm lazy bum, so I recommend electric massagers :D
-if all fails get elastic post-plastic surgery clothing.

All of the above is what a lot of women do after pregnancy and it works for them :)

OG Kush

-eat a lot of protein
-keep yourself hydrated
-skin creams, brand or price doesn't matter. What matters is how often you do it and how long you massage it in. I'm lazy bum, so I recommend electric massagers :D
-if all fails get elastic post-plastic surgery clothing.

All of the above is what a lot of women do after pregnancy and it works for them :)

shit u tellin me u gotta sit there and massage for 30 mins? I got stretch marks and I apply every day but I jst rub it in for like 10 secs and then im done.

I don't understand this. Skinnyfat is a term to describe body composition. I don't think anyone disagrees that losing fat and eating right wouldn't make you healthy. It's just that weight training for example in conjunction with these will make you healthier.

Not really. The evidence clearly shows that OTHER exercises outside weight training have a far greater impact on health. Just staying generally active etc

Omega 3 is one of our bodies essential fatty acids and has been proven to be healthy all around. What's broscience about that? Everyone should supplement with Omega-3 because our western diet has wayy too much Omega-6 in it and that's bad.

Yes it is important. Its is important that you REPLACE Omega 6's in your diet with foods that are high in omega 3's. Omega 6's cause inflammation and other problems. However, there is NO evidence that SUPPLEMENTATION on Omega 3's is helpful in any way. Just eating the same Omega 6 diet you always have and popping some fish oil on top of that has no proven benefit.

That's the simple truth but there's more to it than that. Fasting for example has benefits like improved insulin sensitivity which is essential in losing weight.

No scientific study proves that this is true. The definition of bro science. Plus the fact that true insulin sensitivity (or poor metabolism as well) are very very very rare

So how should one exercise? Resistance training is probably one of the most effective in improving overall health and shouldn't be looked down upon. Plus it's nice to have some muscle underneath all that fat when you trim it down :)

True but it is not important to weight loss. Which is what this thread is about.

Source? Lyle McDonald said something about this in one of his books and I'd take his word over yours since you don't provide a source for your claims.

This has been covered multiple times in this thread. Look at the ingredients on a diet soda and then Wikipedia them. A couple are actually good for you. There are a bunch that are neutral. Then there are a couple that are harmful in MASSIVE quantities that you probably could never reach even if you drank nothing but diet soda.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say (in the thread) that you should first build muscle so that you burn fat faster. What is standard exercise and why is weight training so bad?

Never said it was bad. Said it was unnecessary and unhelpful for weight loss in general

And I remember reading about an experiment where they had three groups. First just dieted, second dieted and did cardio and the third group dieted and did weight training. The first and second group were practically tied whereas the people in the third group lost a ton for more weight.

Link? I heard of a different study but it was one group Cardio (well walking as I recall) one group was Resistance training and one group did both and the result was the First and Third groups were statistically almost identical at the end of it.

Easier this was lol.

Also to be clear. This really isn't about the fitness thread and I was just projecting frustration and I apologize for that.

My main beef is just with misinformation in general and it seems we have the same debates over and over and nothing is ever settled -.-

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to clutter up this thread more, but Wafflecakes, you're throwing a lot of claims that things are "broscience" or "misinformation" without posting any references to support your claims. despire hasn't either, so far, but most of his stuff is correct and I'd be happy to dig up medical journal articles, controlled studies, etc to support them.

The ones that jump to mind immediately for me as crazy are the following:

- Your claims about Omega 3s and Omega 6, and that only absolute O6 levels are important and O3 supplements do nothing
- Your claims that IF is broscience and has no studies that support it
- Your assertion that weight training will not make you healthier and is not a very effective way to lose weight (or even an effective one...you go so far as saying "unhelpful").

If you're interested, PM me and like I said, I'll dig up some links for you to read.

To be honest, it sounds to me that you have a few "bro" friends who weight train for bodybuilding and aren't very informed or knowledgable, and you're just projecting that stereotype on the Fitness thread without actually reading or interacting with it in any way.

Oh, and since you asked for it directly already, here's a link related to aerobic-only vs aerobic + resistance training, showing the combination was more effective at burning/decreasing fat:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12808225

I hate to clutter up this thread more, but Wafflecakes, you're throwing a lot of claims that things are "broscience" or "misinformation" without posting any references to support your claims. despire hasn't either, so far, but most of his stuff is correct and I'd be happy to dig up medical journal articles, controlled studies, etc to support them.

The ones that jump to mind immediately for me as crazy are the following:

- Your claims about Omega 3s and Omega 6, and that only absolute O6 levels are important and O3 supplements do nothing
- Your claims that IF is broscience and has no studies that support it
- Your assertion that weight training will not make you healthier and is not a very effective way to lose weight (or even an effective one...you go so far as saying "unhelpful").

If you're interested, PM me and like I said, I'll dig up some links for you to read.

To be honest, it sounds to me that you have a few "bro" friends who weight train for bodybuilding and aren't very informed or knowledgable, and you're just projecting that stereotype on the Fitness thread without actually reading or interacting with it in any way.

As I had already apologized for. I am sorry if I come off as antagonistic towards Fitness Gaf and I am probably projecting.

Anyways sources. Starting with Omega 3's and some of the claims made about them. (most of these studies are easily accessible and summarized on wikipedia)

Cancer Risk: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=202260

"Supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids does not appear to affect this risk" Essentially Omega 3 of any kind whether it be supplements or consuming fish etc were found to have no impact on cancer risk. There is some evidence to suggest that Omega 3's may help cancer patients retain muscle mass.

Cardiovascular Disease/Mortality: http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1151420

"Supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids did not reduce the risk of overall cardiovascular events (relative risk, 0.99; 95% CI, 0.89-1.09), all-cause mortality, sudden cardiac death, myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure, or transient ischemic attack and stroke. There was a small reduction in cardiovascular death (relative risk, 0.91; 95% CI, 0.84-0.99), which disappeared when we excluded a study with major methodological problems. " I think it is safe to say that if it doesn't effect ANY of those conditions it probably has no significant impact on heart health.

Inflammation:

This one is pretty up in the air. Read a bunch of studies but they were mixed. This is one where its very unclear. This is the area (other than cardiovascular health) that people talk up Omega 3's in the most because inflammation is part of so many aspects of weight los and exercise so its possible it may be helpful here but it has yet to be proven. This is also the area where we really get into the mess of Omega -3's replacing 6's vs Supplementation since we KNOW Omega-6's do cause inflammation. So are the (minimal) reductions in inflammation in studies caused by increasing Omega 3's? Or is it caused by the reduction of 6's?

Developmental Disorders/Psychological: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=F370537079E79D2C0137E40E2C65585D.d03t01 http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09540260600583031

Ranges from no benefit to possibly slight benefits. A couple were positive on depression but didn't put up the links because they were just blurbs that told nothing of methodology or actual results.

Risks: (and yes I have seen people on Fitness gaf recommending dangerous amounts.) From wiki:

the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements noted that known or suspected risks of EPA and DHA consumed in excess of 3 grams per day may include the possibility of:

Increased incidence of bleeding
Hemorrhagic stroke
Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids, forming biologically active oxidation products
Increased levels of low-density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics
Reduced glycemic control among diabetics

As to IF. All studies suggest and it has been settled enough in this thread before that when you eat does not really matter. Its what you eat and how much. Oh and as I said before true insulin resistance is incredibly rare and many people who think they are really are not.

http://www.thespartanwarrior.com/post/18029604390/nutrienttiming (long but good and has links and quotes from studies)

Also. My point was never that weight training is not good. It was that it is unnecessary and overemphasized for weight loss and many other (easier and more accessible) excises are preferable when obese. The last thing heavy people need is to be scared away from losing weight by the idea that they need to hit the gym to achieve their goals.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
As to IF. All studies suggest and it has been settled enough in this thread before that when you eat does not really matter. Its what you eat and how much. Oh and as I said before true insulin resistance is incredibly rare and many people who think they are really are not.

http://www.thespartanwarrior.com/post/18029604390/nutrienttiming (long but good and has links and quotes from studies)

The main points about IF don't have much to do with meal-timing or nutrient timing BTW, it's much more about the fasted state itself (which everyone achieves already to some extent on a daily basis). I agree that people that worry about timing or micromanage miss the point. You're also correct that it's not a necessary strategy, but for some people it can be very helpful or make dieting easier in general. For example, I find it easier to manage hunger and stay sane by eating 2 large meals within an 8 hour window of the day. YMMV.

If you have specific claims about IF "not working", take them up with me over PM (and make sure to specify specifically what benefits/parts you think are broscience or myths). I don't think it's worth going back and forth in this thread, especially if what you say is true that it's already been debated to death.

Also. My point was never that weight training is not good. It was that it is unnecessary and overemphasized for weight loss and many other (easier and more accessible) excises are preferable when obese. The last thing heavy people need is to be scared away from losing weight by the idea that they need to hit the gym to achieve their goals.

Then you probably shouldn't follow up with "Said it was unnecessary and unhelpful for weight loss in general" (emphasis mine).

No one is saying it's necessary; just that it is helpful, can be more effective than aerobics by itself (see the link I posted above; also http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20847892, and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20433212), and has plenty of other positive benefits in addition to weight loss.

Also, it's not nearly as scary as you claim it is to get started with basic resistance training. Continuing to perpetuate that myth does no one any good, it just scares people off before they even give it a shot or look into it.

I'll look over the O3/O6 articles when I have some time later this evening and PM you. My understanding has been that reducing O6 is unquestionably helpful, but also striving for a 1:1 ratio from the other side (supplementing O3) is helpful too. It's possible the later has been debunked.

If you have specific claims about IF "not working", take them up with me over PM (and make sure to specify specifically what benefits/parts you think are broscience or myths). I don't think it's worth going back and forth in this thread, especially if what you say is true that it's already been debated to death.

I won't lie. Tried finding a real research study on IF specifically and weight loss and came up with about nil. If you have something I would be glad to read it.

As to the workouts. For VERY obese people (the people who need help the most) resistance training early on is very dangerous and can lead to serious injuries. Their bodies are already under a great deal of stress from their weight weight. Lifting more can lead to permanent injuries that prevent all exercise.

As they lose weight they can add it in but I don't think people should be advised to start with it. Sure it may work for some people, but its playing with fire/

Revoh

How long will it take for ketosis to kick in? Your experience, GAF.

Back when I was serious about my weightloss and did low-carb I bought this thing called Ketostix that you can use to know if you're in ketosis, it's cheap and just works.
I think I only needed 2 days or something to get in there

Back when I was serious about my weightloss and did low-carb I bought this thing called Ketostix that you can use to know if you're in ketosis, it's cheap and just works.
I think I only needed 2 days or something to get in there

Same.

Wal Mart sells them as well for like 7$ for 50. Though its a different brand. You can find them next to the diabetic supplies.

I wouldn't take them too seriously though. I have found that just how far into Ketosis I am has very little effect on how much weight I lost on a day to day basis. I find them most useful for identifying foods that knock you out of Ketosis.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I won't lie. Tried finding a real research study on IF specifically and weight loss and came up with about nil. If you have something I would be glad to read it.

As to the workouts. For VERY obese people (the people who need help the most) resistance training early on is very dangerous and can lead to serious injuries. Their bodies are already under a great deal of stress from their weight weight. Lifting more can lead to permanent injuries that prevent all exercise.

As they lose weight they can add it in but I don't think people should be advised to start with it. Sure it may work for some people, but its playing with fire/

Is this thread now only for VERY obese people? I think it's safe to assume that plenty of the people in this thread are not at that level, and weight training is perfectly safe to do, and a solid recommended option if they're interested. No reason to turn them away. Labeling it "playing with fire" is pretty dramatic, and silly.

Also, FWIW, some of the articles I linked suggested resistance training for obese patients specifically.

Anyway, coincidentally, I'm off to the gym. This will be my last post related to this (already have a PM open and partially typed out).

Is this thread now only for VERY obese people? I think it's safe to assume that plenty of the people in this thread are not at that level, and weight training is perfectly safe to do, and a solid recommended option if they're interested. No reason to turn them away. Labeling it "playing with fire" is pretty dramatic, and silly.

Also, FWIW, some of the articles I linked suggested resistance training for obese patients specifically.

Never said it was only for the very obese. The problem comes that when people post about exercise they never, ever specify.

...and once again. I never said weight training was bad. However, it is not helpful enough for weight loss that it should be a PRIMARY topic in THIS thread. If people want to talk about it and are interested in it they should be asking in the fitness thread. People act like the threads are the same topic, they are not and I think the distinction is fairly clear. If someone is doing resistance training in any serious capacity then the benefits they will be reaping are not going to be primarily weight loss.....which is the subject of this thread.

(feel free to send me the pm. I will look over it)

I'm not an expert but I would probably take around 2-4 pills. I think the recommendation around here is 1-3g of EPA+DHA a day.

Check google, should give you the answer.

So I should take 2 pills. Or 3 pills. Or 4 pills. Not exactly the accurate advice I was looking for, but thanks for the hot tip about google (hint: I did google it and I got lots of different answers and I don't know who to trust).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I find the idea that resistance training not being helpful or conducive to weight loss to be rather absurd, honestly. I don't really care much about observational studies, either. Possible injuries aside, there is no way that doing exercises and building muscle is anything but helpful in building a better physique.

Srsly

Banned
Anecedotal, yeah, but I've found that my body composition is most rapidly changed (for the better) when I add resistance training to a good diet as opposed to endurance training. On top of this, I've seen plenty of controlled studies that show that resistance training is at least as good at reducing body fat as endurance training, if not better. I simply find that resistance training provides more bang for your buck. If you can combine resistance training and HIIT, even better.

Here's one: http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/3/557.short

Strength training and aerobic training groups both lost ~9.0kg, but the strength training group lost significantly less FFM.

LaneDS

I find the idea that resistance training not being helpful or conducive to weight loss to be rather absurd, honestly. I don't really care much about observational studies, either. Possible injuries aside, there is no way that doing exercises and building muscle is anything but helpful in building a better physique.

While I agree the best approach is diet + exercise (including resistance training), I would agree with people that say that resistance training can slow down weight loss, pure weight loss, if that's all your interested in. I've worked my ass off the better part of five months now (with a semi-strong focus on diet) and while I look much, much better I've lost a surprisingly little amount of weight since I've replaced it with muscle. That's just me pointing out semantics, of course, and I want to re-state that I agree that body composition is a better metric of health than what the scale says so I ultimately agree with you.

grumble

Never said it was only for the very obese. The problem comes that when people post about exercise they never, ever specify.

...and once again. I never said weight training was bad. However, it is not helpful enough for weight loss that it should be a PRIMARY topic in THIS thread. If people want to talk about it and are interested in it they should be asking in the fitness thread. People act like the threads are the same topic, they are not and I think the distinction is fairly clear. If someone is doing resistance training in any serious capacity then the benefits they will be reaping are not going to be primarily weight loss.....which is the subject of this thread.

(feel free to send me the pm. I will look over it)

I'd love to bite over these arguments as I've had several years of obsessing over this stuff, but I think it should probably not shit up this thread any more than it already has.

I will say this though: weight training does play a large role in determining what tissue you lose, fat or muscle. If the eventual goal of these people is to be at a normal weight and healthy, then that implies a moderately low body fat percentage and the dramatic health benefits resulting from exercise. Encouraging people capable of doing so (who are not morbidly obese, clearly not the cases we're generally talking about) to exercise when combined with diet-induced weight loss will have them healthier, feeling better, looking better, accomplish their goals more rapidly and set them up for a lifetime of increased activity and health going forward.

Not sure this will influence your viewpoint any considering that you do seem to have a slanted perspective, but to all the dieters in this thread, keep on exercising and lifting some weights.

SeanR1221

I'm going to give 1500 calories, maintaining lifts and cardio 2-3 times a week going for another 2 weeks. If I don't lose any weight, should I be concerned?

I have been convinced of adding a fish oil supplement to my way of eating. I keep my carbs very low, eating fat, protein, and veggies, and I'm avoiding wheat. After 1 week of avoiding wheat, I feel so much better, even if it is a placebo effect at this point.

My question is how much should I be taking? My pills say one a day, but I would like to know from the experts here.

Here is the amount in one pill: 1200 mg / EPA 410 mg / DHA 274 mg. One a day enough, or would you bump it up? I'm on no medication, and the only other supplement I'm taking is the suggested amount of Opti-Men multivitamin. Thank you!

Who is this? Lol

SeanR1221

What's a breakdown of the 1500 calories?

Usually 180g of protein, 30-20g of carbs (from vegetables and berries). Diet consists of eggs, bacon, chicken, tuna, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, green beans, turkey, salmon, whey powder, chicken sausage, strawberries, blue berries.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
While I agree the best approach is diet + exercise (including resistance training), I would agree with people that say that resistance training can slow down weight loss, pure weight loss, if that's all your interested in. I've worked my ass off the better part of five months now (with a semi-strong focus on diet) and while I look much, much better I've lost a surprisingly little amount of weight since I've replaced it with muscle. That's just me pointing out semantics, of course, and I want to re-state that I agree that body composition is a better metric of health than what the scale says so I ultimately agree with you.

Oh for sure. It may slow down the reduction rate of the number on the scale. Ultimately, that number doesn't mean a whole lot once you're below 180-200 or so (depending on height, obviously). Depending on body composition, a guy can look ripped and fit at 170 lbs. while another guy of the same height can still look kind of chubby with moobs and a gut at 150 lbs.

I don't really see the point of monitoring the numbers on the scale once you're out of obese territory. A mirror is really all you need.

So after our discussion I did a lot of reading of studies etc I would like to apologize for being overly aggressive about it. While I still do not believe that it is an effective primary tool it is definitely good secondary tool that can make a difference. I tend to get too wrapped up in an argument and take things a little too far.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Had a bit worse than average weekend due to friends coming up, but I'm trucking on. This is my last week of Insanity too.

Next week I'm in Texas all week for work, so I'm going to have to be really watching what I eat and getting to the hotel gym. :p

Wiktor

shit u tellin me u gotta sit there and massage for 30 mins? I got stretch marks and I apply every day but I jst rub it in for like 10 secs and then im done.

Maybe not 30 minutes, but 10 minutes each easily. If you want to increase the effectivness apply the cream right after you get out of the shower, as it's absorben quicker then.

But yeah..10 seconds won't do you much good, sorry :)

NZNova

Well I'm on a weight loss journey too. Starting weight was 98.9kg (218 lb) and as of three weeks in I'm down 4kg (8.8 lb) and one belt size. My next weigh in is tomorrow and I'm hoping for some more off there.

Diet change, plus dumbbell exercises 3x a week, cross trainer every week night and walking on weekends. Oh and a shit load of water. Wish me luck :D

harSon

Banned
I think I'm going to have to lower my calories and completely cut snacks out of my low-carb diet to further my weight loss. I've pretty much stalled as far as weight loss is concerned, although I've been lifting (3 day split, twice a week with Cardio through out the week) which may account for some of it.

I've been eating Pork Skins and Almonds regularly, which are both low-carb appropriate, but I'm going to cut them out completely (alongside chewing gum) and see if that get's things moving.

My diet is basically:

Breakfast:
8 oz of Almond Milk w/ 1 scoop Protein Powder (2 net carbs per scoop)
2 strips of bacon
2 sausage links
2 eggs

Post Workout:
12-16 oz of Almond Milk with 2 Scoops of Protein Podwer

Lunch:
Chicken, Pork Chop, Sausage/Brautwurst, Hamburger Patty

Some kind of vegetable which is either a Salad (Spring Mix, Cherry Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Parmesean Cheese, Bacon, Avacado and a dressing that's typically 2-3 carbs per serving), Broccoli, Zuchinni, Green Beans or Squash.

Dinner:
Chicken, Pork Chops, Fish (Typically Salmon or Catfish) or Steak

Some kind of vegetable which is either a Salad (Spring Mix, Cherry Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Parmesean Cheese, Bacon, Avacado and a dressing that's typically 2-3 carbs per serving), Broccoli, Zuchinni, Green Beans or Squash.

Snacks: Tuna w/ Mayo or Avacado, Pork Skins, Almonds, Spanish Peanuts.

That's what a typical day looks like for me. I think I may dial back on the protein powder and try to get some more natural forms of protein in my system as well.

I'm working out 6 times a week (here's my workout week: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16830973/Workout Routine.docx)

Feel free to help me out with my diet/routine, and help me lose more weight!

I think I'm going to have to lower my calories and completely cut snacks out of my low-carb diet to further my weight loss. I've pretty much stalled as far as weight loss is concerned, although I've been lifting (3 day split, twice a week with Cardio through out the week) which may account for some of it.

I've been eating Pork Skins and Almonds regularly, which are both low-carb appropriate, but I'm going to cut them out completely (alongside chewing gum) and see if that get's things moving.

What is your weight/height + how long have you been stalled? Also do you happen to know your macro's. Hard to know for sure with almond milk because the varieties vary so much.

harSon

Banned
What is your weight/height + how long have you been stalled? Also do you happen to know your macro's. Hard to know for sure with almond milk because the varieties vary so much.

I'm 6'2" 192 pounds.

The Almond Milk is Unsweetened Vanilla from Trader Joes. I don't have any Macros outside of the fact that I'm on a Ketogenic diet and stay under 20-25 Carbs a day.

Your diet looks good for your size in general. I agree on cutting out the snacks though.

Looking over your general routine (not an expert at that personally) and your diet I would say to not expect a whole lot of weight loss. Not sure what your goal weight is but I imagine you are fairly close. It always slows down to a crawl at this point and it is very likely you are still losing fat but replacing it with muscle which will not show up on the scale.

My thoughts.

OG Kush

Count your calories for a few days and then go from there. Also make sure you don't snack on a lot of nuts, very calorie dense.
I've also heard that on keto you don't need to count calories (as long as you dont go too crazy), is this true?

Count your calories for a few days and then go from there. Also make sure you don't snack on a lot of nuts, very calorie dense.
I've also heard that on keto you don't need to count calories (as long as you dont go too crazy), is this true?

Its true in that fat should be more satiating making you eat less. However, I find it useful to count every couple of weeks just to make sure I am easting an appropriate amount of calories.

harSon

Banned

I've been on Keto for over a year now, and I never really had to count calories. But then again, now that I'm lifting/doing cardio 6 times a week, my apatite has sky rocketed so I find myself eating a lot larger portions that before to satisfy my hunger.

Time to break out MyFitnessPal! I'm going to completely eliminate nuts, pork skins, gum and non-water beverages (although I've already done this latter portion 99% of the time). No more empty carbs, regardless how insignificant they may seem. I'll also keep tabs on my calorie intake over the course of the next week, and then make a decision from there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've been on Keto for over a year now, and I never really had to count calories. But then again, now that I'm lifting/doing cardio 6 times a week, my apatite has sky rocketed so I find myself eating a lot larger portions that before to satisfy my hunger.

Time to break out MyFitnessPal! I'm going to completely eliminate nuts, pork skins, gum and non-water beverages (although I've already done this latter portion 99% of the time). No more empty carbs, regardless how insignificant they may seem. I'll also keep tabs on my calorie intake over the course of the next week, and then make a decision from there.

I thought about this on my lower carb diet (under 80, trying to push it lower) but how then do you keep calorie count up? By end of the work day before my workout I'm already kind of hungry and that's after my afternoon almond snack. I think I end the day with like 1600 calories. Cutting almonds and string cheese would drop me to like 1300.

SeanR1221

Hm, interesting. Where should the carbs come from? Fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes and brown rice?

My only concern is I had 3 major cheat days when I was on vacation, and I went up 6 pounds and haven't moved since in 1.5 weeks. Now granted, those cheat days I was eating shit food. I hate to focus on weight but it always bums me how up and down mine is.

Hm, interesting. Where should the carbs come from? Fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes and brown rice?

My only concern is I had 3 major cheat days when I was on vacation, and I went up 6 pounds and haven't moved since in 1.5 weeks. Now granted, those cheat days I was eating shit food. I hate to focus on weight but it always bums me how up and down mine is.

Eh I would still avoid brown rice. Its a lot like wheat bread, is it better than white? Yeah. Both are still terrible though.

OG Kush

Brown rice aint really that much better than white rice, its very neglible. I've actually stopped doing keto as I'm working out and I need the carbs, I've also found my weight loss increased when I upped the carbs. I went on holiday for 10 days, tried to keep it low carb but still ate the occasional toast, rice, chocoalte crepes, fries etc. Was probably still less than 100g a day, whereas before I was keto so like sub 20grams. I find 100g or less is perfect for me, so still low carb but not keto. I also try and keep most of my carbs post workout. Feels great to eat fruit, rice and bread again! (obviously in small portions but still great!)
This could be that I was wasn't getting enough calories in keto which slowed down my weight loss and the carbs are helping me reach a good calorie amount.

Rice is nothing like wheat. What makes it so terrible?

Thats the purpose of an analogy -.- (and nutritionally they are very very similar btw)

And yes....brown rice is bad. Full o carbs and pretty much the same glycemic index as white rice. Only slightly better.

Also has poor general nutritional value (compared to veggies or other low carb foods) so, while not empty calories its pretty bad.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hi just checking in. weighed myself today Have lost a stone (14lbs). Going to book a refocus sesion to get a new workout plan sorted.. I hope i can lose at least two more stone by the years end.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thats the purpose of an analogy -.- (and nutritionally they are very very similar btw)

And yes....brown rice is bad. Full o carbs and pretty much the same glycemic index as white rice. Only slightly better.

Also has poor general nutritional value (compared to veggies or other low carb foods) so, while not empty calories its pretty bad.

Carbs aren't the devil. Carbs are fine if you're eating leaner and doing exercise.

There are plenty of ways to go about weight loss. It's not keto or nothing. If you were to eat nothing but brown rice, tuna, chicken, brocolli, and avocados, you'd probably lose weight no problem.

I weigh myself once each week on Sundays. I've posted my results in this thread from time to time. 2 weeks ago I weighed myself, 170.2 lbs, down a little more than 30 lbs since I started. For 5 or 6 weeks I've been consistently losing 2+ lbs a week so, I was excited to weigh myself on Sunday, assuming I would be in the 160s. I got on the scale, 170.0 lbs. My worst week in a long time. I know 169.9 is not really any different than 170.0 in the scheme of things but I really wanted to see one hundred and sixty whatever pounds on that scale for the first time since college. Oh well, ultimately it just motivated me to push a little harder this week.

ch0mp

White rice isn't high on the GI scale when compared to bread/other wheat products. Not so nutrient dense but it's a good source of energy. It also does not contain gluten.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I weigh myself once each week on Sundays. I've posted my results in this thread from time to time. 2 weeks ago I weighed myself, 170.2 lbs, down a little more than 30 lbs since I started. For 5 or 6 weeks I've been consistently losing 2+ lbs a week so, I was excited to weigh myself on Sunday, assuming I would be in the 160s. I got on the scale, 170.0 lbs. My worst week in a long time. I know 169.9 is not really any different than 170.0 in the scheme of things but I really wanted to see one hundred and sixty whatever pounds on that scale for the first time since college. Oh well, ultimately it just motivated me to push a little harder this week.

Could be just water man. Shit happens to me all the time. I'm addicted to the fuckin scale but I don't sweat it too much.

Top Bottom