• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Carbs aren't the devil. Carbs are fine if you're eating leaner and doing exercise.

There are plenty of ways to go about weight loss. It's not keto or nothing. If you were to eat nothing but brown rice, tuna, chicken, brocolli, and avocados, you'd probably lose weight no problem.
This can't be repeated in this thread enough, it seems. I get that most people posting in here have a significant amount of weight to lose, and thus low-carb is probably the best/fastest/easiest method to do so, but it's not the only way.

I lost 50 pounds in about six months last year working out six days a week and eating around 1600 calories/day, and there was nothing low-carb about it. I ate (and still do eat) brown rice at lunch 3-4 times a week, and, gasp, I even ate corn! Could I have lost that weight faster eating less carbs? Maybe, but for me it was more of a lifestyle change than a temporary diet (low-carb would never last for me, realistically); I wasn't in a rush, and didn't want to restrict myself too much. It also certainly helped that I was pretty active while losing the weight, and the food I ate gave me the energy I needed. That's just my experience, though. Everyone has a different gameplan, and that's peachy. No need to condemn rice, though — plenty of very healthy people eat it regularly.

White rice isn't high on the GI scale when compared to bread/other wheat products. Not so nutrient dense but it's a good source of energy. It also does not contain gluten.

If you are not doing low carb it is fine. It is still not a food anyone on low carb should be consuming.

Generally low carbers have a set amount of carbs that they want to eat in a day. Usually 20-100. (for me I stay around 20g and have lost 55 lbs in 3 months). Those carbs are generally reserved for foods that are very nutrient dense in all the things we are not getting from meat/protiens such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber. One cup of brown rice has about 40g of net carbs but is relatively poor fiber wise as well as in vitamins/minerals. So you could easily consume your daily needs of carbs in 1/2, one, or two cups depending on your program. If you do this where are all you other nutrients and fiber be coming from?

I have a question for low-carb GAF. I am convinced of the low carb lifestyle and have been eating this way for quite some time. However, I'm looking to add about 20lbs to my frame as I am ready for a good bulk. However, a lot of sources recommended that i increase my intake of complex carbs and decrease the amount of fats that I eat? Has anyone else bulked up on a low carb diet? Or are carbs really necessary? I'd pretty much just stick to oatmeal and sweet potatoes anyway. And chocolate milk and whey post workout.

ch0mp

If you are not doing low carb it is fine. It is still not a food anyone on low carb should be consuming.

Generally low carbers have a set amount of carbs that they want to eat in a day. Usually 20-100. (for me I stay around 20g and have lost 55 lbs in 3 months). Those carbs are generally reserved for foods that are very nutrient dense in all the things we are not getting from meat/protiens such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber. One cup of brown rice has about 40g of net carbs but is relatively poor fiber wise as well as in vitamins/minerals. So you could easily consume your daily needs of carbs in 1/2, one, or two cups depending on your program. If you do this where are all you other nutrients and fiber be coming from?
Most of it should be coming from the meat you eat. I'm going to steal some charts from Richard Nikoley because he's already done the work. The first is beef liver and the second is salmon, 1,400 calories of each and their respective RDA percentages. Original post here.
Screen-Shot-2011-09-26-at-2.43.28-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2011-09-26-at-2.45.13-PM.png
As for fibre, you're on your own. I don't believe it is at all necessary.

Most of it should be coming from the meat you eat. I'm going to steal some charts from Richard Nikoley because he's already done the work. The first is beef liver and the second is salmon, 1,400 calories of each and their respective RDA percentages. Original post here.

As for fibre, you're on your own. I don't believe it is at all necessary.

The original poster ask where he should be getting his carbs from while doing low carb. I said not brown rice but rather veggies. How am I wrong?

This is getting way off track (not sure what your post was meant to prove....that you can theoretically eat just meat? Assuming you like Liver or can afford salmon every day? Or the completely untrue idea that you can get EVERY vitamin and mineral from meat? Good luck with vitamin C.) My point was that Rice is empty calories pretty much and not at all appropriate on any serious low carb diet.

Edit: Also read the article. He pretty much says grains are shit and you should eat meat and veggies too.

So I've lost about 10 pounds since I started focusing on my weight loss.
It's a tad slow, but at least there's some change. I think I might be eating too few calories and turning down my metabolism, but that shouldn't really matter so long as I work out, right?

I should try to measure my bodyfat and focus on that instead really, as it seems like a more useful metric (especially if you are working out).

ch0mp

The original poster ask where he should be getting his carbs from while doing low carb. I said not brown rice but rather veggies. How am I wrong?

This is getting way off track (not sure what your post was meant to prove....that you can theoretically eat just meat? Assuming you like Liver or can afford salmon every day? Or the completely untrue idea that you can get EVERY vitamin and mineral from meat? Good luck with vitamin C.) My point was that Rice is empty calories pretty much and not at all appropriate on any serious low carb diet.

All I'm saying if you eat good quality animal products - meat, eggs and maybe dairy, get your carbs from whatever you like (would not recommend wheat though).

Edit: Also read the article. He pretty much says grains are shit and you should eat meat and veggies too.
Yep. All my meals consist of meat, eggs, veggies and fruit with the occasional rice/baked potato on the side.

OG Kush

I have a question for low-carb GAF. I am convinced of the low carb lifestyle and have been eating this way for quite some time. However, I'm looking to add about 20lbs to my frame as I am ready for a good bulk. However, a lot of sources recommended that i increase my intake of complex carbs and decrease the amount of fats that I eat? Has anyone else bulked up on a low carb diet? Or are carbs really necessary? I'd pretty much just stick to oatmeal and sweet potatoes anyway. And chocolate milk and whey post workout.

For bulking I would say definitely you need carbs, or atleast do the slow-carb diet (look it up, quite a popular eating lifestyle, only carbs you're allowed are from beans). At the end of the day you need to be at a calorie surplus and carbs will help a lot with this and help muscle repair.

SeanR1221

As the original poster that is not what I said.

We were discussing why eating 1500 calories a day, <20g of carbs and 180g of protein wasn't resulting in weight loss, while lifting and conditioning 6 times a week.

Domino posted the article saying to eat 100-120g of carbs a day for 10-12 days.

I asked what those 100g should be made up of. I don't consider 100-120g of carbs Low carb.

NIN90

Is keto harm-free for someone with Diabetus Type 2 (I don't use Insulin syringes btw)? I'm afraid that my blood sugar would drop too low.

Got a lot of weight to lose...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is keto harm-free for someone with Diabetus Type 2 (I don't use Insulin syringes btw)? I'm afraid that my blood sugar would drop too low.

Got a lot of weight to lose...

You might wanna do more research but from what I understand they're not compatible. It may have been a different type of diabetus so I'm not 100% on this. Definitely talk to your doctor before and maybe he can even give you some dieting tips. I think I read that it can cause your blood to become acidic therefore really fucking you up.

I'm sure there are at least a couple of people who frequent here who can give you pointers who have had Type 2 Diabetus. And good luck to you. It's a long road but there's great treasure at the end of it...at least that's what I hear ;P

Kraft, depending on how many Calories each beer has and the rest of your diet and exercise, it could potentially be adding unwanted weight but slowly. It doesn't sound like a whole lot though.

dralla

This is probably only temporary, as I'm guessing it's a mistake, but I found where you can order boxes of PB&J Quest Bars for 10 bucks a piece! It's only this flavor, I ordered 2 boxes for 27 bucks after shipping, which is basically half price. And the more you order, the less shipping is, so if you're looking for a good snack on the go, try them, you can't get a better price than this: http://www.thought-fuelnutrition.com/Quest-Bar-Peanut-Butter-Jelly/dp/B006AR0XCW?field_availability=-1&field_browse=5266156011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Quest+Bar+Peanut+Butter+Jelly&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cartist-bin%2Cauthor-bin&searchNodeID=5266156011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It was at the last part of the previous page. But i managed to lose a stone (14 pounds) in under a month. Hope to lose more

Jamesways

This is probably only temporary, as I'm guessing it's a mistake, but I found where you can order boxes of PB&J Quest Bars for 10 bucks a piece! It's only this flavor, I ordered 2 boxes for 27 bucks after shipping, which is basically half price. And the more you order, the less shipping is, so if you're looking for a good snack on the go, try them, you can't get a better price than this: http://www.thought-fuelnutrition.com/Quest-Bar-Peanut-Butter-Jelly/dp/B006AR0XCW?field_availability=-1&field_browse=5266156011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Quest+Bar+Peanut+Butter+Jelly&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cartist-bin%2Cauthor-bin&searchNodeID=5266156011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Thanks for the link, I still have yet to try these bars. I hear people raving about them, and this is a damn good price.
Thumbs up!

Zoe

And what is that difference? Not that I did not try to inform myself. Been reading this thread and Mark's blog for a couple days now.

Ketosis happens when you intake 0g-30g of carbs, possibly 50g once you're already there. Low carb is more around 100g.

You had asked earlier about Type 2 on ketosis, not on low carb.

Srsly

Banned
There's a huge difference between being in keto and doing low carb.

Typing this on my phone so threre will prolly be errors. Anyway,

Lots of diabetics have great success managing their blood sugar on a ketogenic diet. Diabetes is primarily a disease of glucose intolerance. Look up Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution", which is.a great guide for diabetics(type 1 and 2) trying to manage their blood sugar. Many people with type diabetes who have to take tons of insulin can pretty much get off of it (or drastically reduce it) and drop their HBA1Cs to under 6 on a ketogenic diet. Nerves function can be restored, often reversing eye, kidney, etc damage on a keto diet. The risk of hypoglycaemia is lowered because much smaller doses of insulin are used. There is a user on here (Astrolad, I think) who uses keto to manage his T1 diabetes)

Typing this on my phone so threre will prolly be errors. Anyway,

Lots of diabetics have great success managing their blood sugar on a ketogenic diet. Diabetes is primarily a disease of glucose intolerance. Look up Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution", which is.a great guide for diabetics(type 1 and 2) trying to manage their blood sugar. Many people with type diabetes who have to take tons of insulin can pretty much get off of it (or drastically reduce it) and drop their HBA1Cs to under 6 on a ketogenic diet. Nerves function can be restored, often reversing eye, kidney, etc damage on a keto diet. The risk of hypoglycaemia is lowered because much smaller doses of insulin are used. There is a user on here (Astrolad, I think) who uses keto to manage his T1 diabetes)

Yeah, I haven't really heard much in terms of studies on ketogenic diets for diabetics, but any guides or solutions of that kind shouldn't really be considered while you still have the opportunity to get advice from a doctor.

So once a week I let myself buy a 2 liter of diet soda (if I have been good). This week I went to a different store than normal and grabbed a bottle and got home. Drank it all over about 36 hours only to realize that it looks just like the diet soda at my regular store but isn't diet at all..

I feel like someone hit me over the head with a brick. Tired. Terrible headache.

Now I know.........

So once a week I let myself buy a 2 liter of diet soda (if I have been good). This week I went to a different store than normal and grabbed a bottle and got home. Drank it all over about 36 hours only to realize that it looks just like the diet soda at my regular store but isn't diet at all..

I feel like someone hit me over the head with a brick. Tired. Terrible headache.

Now I know.........

This is the worst feeling ever.

Srsly

Banned
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325029/

Results

Twenty-one of the 28 participants who were enrolled completed the study. Twenty participants were men; 13 were White, 8 were African-American. The mean [± SD] age was 56.0 ± 7.9 years and BMI was 42.2 ± 5.8 kg/m2. Hemoglobin A1c decreased by 16% from 7.5 ± 1.4% to 6.3 ± 1.0% (p < 0.001) from baseline to week 16. Diabetes medications were discontinued in 7 participants, reduced in 10 participants, and unchanged in 4 participants. The mean body weight decreased by 6.6% from 131.4 ± 18.3 kg to 122.7 ± 18.9 kg (p < 0.001). In linear regression analyses, weight change at 16 weeks did not predict change in hemoglobin A1c. Fasting serum triglyceride decreased 42% from 2.69 ± 2.87 mmol/L to 1.57 ± 1.38 mmol/L (p = 0.001) while other serum lipid measurements did not change significantly.

Conclusion

The LCKD improved glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes such that diabetes medications were discontinued or reduced in most participants. Because the LCKD can be very effective at lowering blood glucose, patients on diabetes medication who use this diet should be under close medical supervision or capable of adjusting their medication.

dralla

I find aspartame gives me migraines so, I pretty much drink black coffee and water only.

there are drinks that aren't sweetened with aspartame. Zevia for a carbonated drink, or Vitamin Water 0/Sobe Lifewater 0 for non-carbonated. I absolutely love the Sobe, it goes on sale pretty regularly too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325029/

Results

Twenty-one of the 28 participants who were enrolled completed the study. Twenty participants were men; 13 were White, 8 were African-American. The mean [± SD] age was 56.0 ± 7.9 years and BMI was 42.2 ± 5.8 kg/m2. Hemoglobin A1c decreased by 16% from 7.5 ± 1.4% to 6.3 ± 1.0% (p < 0.001) from baseline to week 16. Diabetes medications were discontinued in 7 participants, reduced in 10 participants, and unchanged in 4 participants. The mean body weight decreased by 6.6% from 131.4 ± 18.3 kg to 122.7 ± 18.9 kg (p < 0.001). In linear regression analyses, weight change at 16 weeks did not predict change in hemoglobin A1c. Fasting serum triglyceride decreased 42% from 2.69 ± 2.87 mmol/L to 1.57 ± 1.38 mmol/L (p = 0.001) while other serum lipid measurements did not change significantly.

Conclusion

The LCKD improved glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes such that diabetes medications were discontinued or reduced in most participants. Because the LCKD can be very effective at lowering blood glucose, patients on diabetes medication who use this diet should be under close medical supervision or capable of adjusting their medication.

One study (especially one with such a narrow racial spectrum) does not make for a medical recommendation.
I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying that stuff like this should always go through your doctor.

TheExodu5

Banned
One study (especially one with such a narrow racial spectrum) does not make for a medical recommendation.
I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying that stuff like this should always go through your doctor.

The problem is doctor's are dead set on following the government's recommended nutritional guidelines. Just about every doctor you can talk to will be venomously against a ketogenic diet, with no substantial reason other than the fact that it goes against the norm.

The problem is doctor's are dead set on following the government's recommended nutritional guidelines. Just about every doctor you can talk to will be venomously against a ketogenic diet, with no substantial reason other than the fact that it goes against the norm.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by my doctor being all for it. Most people I know have the above attitude though. Gets old really really fast to have to discuss it at every family gathering.

Hey guys,

I'm sure it's been talked about before, but I have a couple questions about diet soda. Diet soda has been helpful in me cutting out regular soda and juice from my diet. I used to be someone who could easily go through a 2L a day. While I know diet soda doesn't have the health benefits water does, I always thought it was a good compromise for those that struggled to do water only.

I've been researching it some more and a lot of websites say that it can slow your metabolism to the point that it could actually make it easier to gain weight. I already know diet soda can cause bloating and water retention, but can anyone link to any studies that show how significant it can slow your metabolism? Or how often you have to drink it for it to have a significant effect?

I'd really hate to be slowing my weight loss significantly. Thanks.

When I visited my family doctor a couple weeks back I asked him about any potential concerns being on a low-carb high-protein diet and I was surprised to find he was all in favor of it.

Hey guys,

I'm sure it's been talked about before, but I have a couple questions about diet soda. Diet soda has been helpful in me cutting out regular soda and juice from my diet. I used to be someone who could easily go through a 2L a day. While I know diet soda doesn't have the health benefits water does, I always thought it was a good compromise for those that struggled to do water only.

I've been researching it some more and a lot of websites say that it can slow your metabolism to the point that it could actually make it easier to gain weight. I already know diet soda can cause bloating and water retention, but can anyone link to any studies that show how significant it can slow your metabolism? Or how often you have to drink it for it to have a significant effect?

I'd really hate to be slowing my weight loss significantly. Thanks.

Eh while not ideal the evidence that it actually slows down weight loss is iffy. My suggestion. If you are not happy with your weight loss cut out the diet soda for a couple weeks and see if it helps.

Srsly

Banned

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Doctors really don't know much, if anything, about nutrition. In fact, they're likely to do more harm than good. Many doctors will just wrongly recommend high carb diets to their diabetic patients and be happy to keep upping the dosage of insulin as needed while the health of their diabetic patients slowly deteriorates over the years. There are plenty of studies showing that ketogenic diets are great for diabetics. Again, diabetes is primarily a disease of carbohydrate intolerance. Many doctors don't even know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.

I'd rather people with diabetes read a book by a doctor who specializes in diabetes (Bernstein) than go to their ordinary ignorant doctor who maybe had a 1 hour course of nutrition that was just a regurgitation of the ADA guidelines. Bernstein was on death's door in the 1960s due to his unmanageable diabetes, but completely reversed all of his complications by going on a ketogenic diet. Dr. Bernstein is one of the best diabetes doctors out there and has saved the lives of thousands of patients.

There are also quite a few more studies on ketogenic diets for diabetics (or low carb diets = same thing pretty much as some degree of ketones will be produced at under 100g carbs/day). I'm too lazy to look them up at the moment, but they're pretty easy to find in google scholar.

Ketogenic diets were actually the defualt treatment for diabetes before pharmaceuticals came into the picture. Of course, even on a keto diet, pharmaceuticals are still useful. A type 1 still needs insulin, but not nearly as much because he's not consuming much glucose, if at all (the liver will still make some out of protein). It's a good thing to not have to use as much insulin, though. It makes managing blood sugar levels a lot easier because there's a lot less variability. A type 2 may still need metformin, although type 2s often can get off medications completely.

So I have been exercising a lot lately to lose some weight (I am 5'9" at 170lbs and the fattest I've ever been, even though it's not fat at all by other people standards). But I know jack shit about what food is best for it (other than the obvious like can/processsed food, soda, and that nasty shit).

I am not on a diet, but I've changed what I eat drastically. Is this fine with dropping 15-20lbs (on top of running a few miles a day)?

Breakfast:
Half of a wheat bagel with low fat cream cheese or no-fat peanut butter (pb isn't often, only when I get sick of cream cheese)
Some low fat yogurt
Glass of skim milk

Lunch:
Chicken or steak salad (no dressing)
Skim milk or water

Dinner:
Baked chicken/steak (I loathe fish)
Skim milk or water

TheExodu5

Banned
So I have been exercising a lot lately to lose some weight (I am 5'9" at 170lbs and the fattest I've ever been, even though it's not fat at all by other people standards). But I know jack shit about what food is best for it (other than the obvious like can/processsed food, soda, and that nasty shit).

I am not on a diet, but I've changed what I eat drastically. Is this fine with dropping 15-20lbs (on top of running a few miles a day)?

Breakfast:
Half of a wheat bagel with low fat cream cheese or no-fat peanut butter (pb isn't often, only when I get sick of cream cheese)
Some low fat yogurt
Glass of skim milk

Lunch:
Skim milk or water

Dinner:
Skim milk or water

I'll give you the best advice I can, from what I know, without suggesting a ketogenic diet (which is a popular option here...you can look it up if you're interested):

Cut out the bagel. While bagels are very tasty, they're incredibly calorie dense and not very satiating. Bagel and cream cheese is one of the worst breakfasts you can eat, to be honest. Switch to eggs and bacon (keep portions reasonable) or if you can't do that, take in a protein shake with some peanut butter in the morning (that's what I do since I can't be bothered to cook in the morning). Don't worry about eating low fat. If you prefer skim milk, that's okay, but 2% won't hurt either. For yogurt, you want low sugar greek yogurt...high in protein, low in sugar. Personally, I can't really eat sugarless yogurt, so I find it easier to eat cottage cheese instead. Besides that, make sure to add dark green vegetables to your diet (spinach, brocolli, asparagus, avocado).

In essense, lower your carb intake, keep fat intake at a reasonable level (as long as you're in a caloric deficit, it doesn't really matter how much fat you intake), and eat a lot more protein. Doing this, you will be more full on less calories, making it easier to stay in a caloric deficit. Oh, also, drink lots and lots of water. This will have you eating a lot less.

You'll probably want to be eating 1500-1800 calories max per day. It'll get easier with time.

Also, note that you can eat mostly anything while in a caloric deficit and still lose weight...the reason low carb and high protein is recommended is twofold: it keeps blood sugar low which minimizes fat storage, and it simply fills you up more than a high carb diet. Note that high protein, low fat diet works as well, as many bodybuilders can attest to. We're talking lots of chicken, tuna, brown rice, and dark green veggies. Note: never breads or potatoes, in any case.

Breakfast:
Some low fat yogurt
Glass of skim milk

Lunch:
Skim milk or water

Dinner:
Skim milk or water

That sounds like too little food. You have to eat to lose weight as your body will adapt with too little calories and do everything in its power to hold onto weight.

Piecake

Breakfast:
Some low fat yogurt
Glass of skim milk

Lunch:
Skim milk or water

Dinner:
Skim milk or water

Fat good, grain and sugar bad

Full fat greek yogurt, bacon, and eggs for breakfast
Chicken/steak spinach salad for lunch

So yea, cut out the grain and sugar, eat more fat, and you can eat more food (unless your portions are ridiculously huge)

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not really a fan of increasing fat too much. Full fat greek yogurt is really, really fat. You have to be on full on keto to really be able to intake that much fat. Otherwise, fat is just too little satiety for the caloric intake. I still get plenty of fat through eggs, milk, beef...I've just mostly curbed the really high fat stuff like cheese, cream, full fat yogurt, etc...

It was at the last part of the previous page. But i managed to lose a stone (14 pounds) in under a month. Hope to lose more
i so rarely check this thread but i noticed nobody quoted you, and i felt bad.

thats awesome man, 14 pounds in a month is no joke. how much are you trying to lose overall?

Bealost

So guys, I have some advice for you! Once you lose your weight and decide to work on your tanlines (which if you were like me and basically always wore a shirt) WEAR SUNSCREEN. My arms that are used to the sun are completely 100% fine, going by them I could have been sitting at my computer all day. Melatonin....magical stuff really.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So guys, I have some advice for you! Once you lose your weight and decide to work on your tanlines (which if you were like me and basically always wore a shirt) WEAR SUNSCREEN. My arms that are used to the sun are completely 100% fine, going by them I could have been sitting at my computer all day. Melatonin....magical stuff really.

Yogurt bro. Works wonders.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

That's exactly how I looked a few weeks ago. Fell asleep in the sun after drinking a bunch of champagne at 11am; my front was neon pink and my back was as white as ever, heh. Had to take two days off from school and work because I was literally unable to move without excruciating pain. It's probably going to be at least two full weeks before your skin goes to a normal shade and all the new skin post-peeling (which is such a disgusting few days) is going to need to be moisturized for a long time.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'll probably head to a tanning salon for a handful of sessions to work on a base before I man up and go to the beach. My farmer tan is ridiculous at the moment.

Top Bottom