• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Petrie

Banned
Hey, I'm starting the gym next wednesday, can I get recomendations on a good split routine? I'm a beginner and I know people will recommend SS for me, I even bought the book this year, the thing is my gym doesn't have the proper equipment to follow SS/SL.
Also, I don't give a crap about strength, I just want to look hot on my birthday in january :p

We'd need more info on what equipment you DO have.

Also, it is very unrealistic to expect drastic muscular changes like that in what amounts to less than 1/2 a year, especially with limited equipment.

LaneDS

Wow I really appreciate the positive comments guys, thank you. I honestly didn't feel there was much of a change with the cut. Would you believe on the left Im 185 and on the right 183?

RHFB, here is my workout schedule

Day A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay row 3x5

Day B
Overhead press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

This doesn't count the warmup sets. For example, on deadlifts I do 135 1x10, 185 1x5, 225 1x3 then my weight set 255 1x5.

I also do different accessory work, somewhat for asthetics, somewhat to help with the main lifts. Dips, good mornings, hammer curls, incline dumbbell bench, etc. all 3x10.

Week 1 ABA, week 2 BAB, etc. at least one day of no lifting between them.

On off days I did cardio. 30 minutes of running at 6mph. This past week I've replaced that with HIIT.

For my diet, you can check out the last page, but basically 1500 calories, 50-60g of fat, 20g of carbs, 180g of protein.

I totally believe it, as far as the minor variation in weight is concerned. My body composition is significantly different than it was around five months ago, and I'm only down not quite 20 lbs. Went from 204 to around 187 at last weigh in (pictures here for those curious: http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/P90X/ )

I'll probably try a more traditional weight training regime sometime next year when and if I plateau on P90X/X2/Insanity stuff. How tall are you? 1500 calories seems maybe too low considering your activity level.

Anyway, good job again and good luck if you're continuing your cut which is sounds like you're going to.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Took some quick pics. Please ignore my dirty bathroom and surgical scar. As you can see I have a long way to go till I hit sub 10% body fat.

Relaxed
Flexed

btw I know my jeans are too big. They are a size 29 and it was only a month ago when I couldn't fit into them. Don't want to get new clothes since I'll be bulking in a couple of months. Hopefully.

Nice bro. MKP would be proud :p

alekth

Took some quick pics. Please ignore my dirty bathroom and surgical scar. As you can see I have a long way to go till I hit sub 10% body fat.

Relaxed
Flexed

btw I know my jeans are too big. They are a size 29 and it was only a month ago when I couldn't fit into them. Don't want to get new clothes since I'll be bulking in a couple of months. Hopefully.

That's a very nice V shape.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Relaxed
Flexed

a size 29 is too big for you? now i feel awful. Who is that cute Asian guy in your avatar?

abuC

I'm not saying you personally. I'm saying people have different frames and body types. I'm not saying under 200 for YOU isn't your ideal weight I'm saying for me and my body type it's not (and not possible).

Ray Lewis 6'1 250
ray-lewis.jpg

I agree, I was 6"1 252lbs and had slightly visible abs and striations in my shoulders, everyones frame is different.

This was me at 252lbs, not sucking in my stomach or flexing either -
r3r3ff.jpg

There's no real ideal weight Im going for, just trying to get down to 10-11% body fat, currently down to 231lbs.

harSon

Banned
I've been hitting the gym lately, trying to get swole and gain some much needed muscle that I lost in my weight loss from 351 to 18?-19? (I haven't weighed myself in a while). I'm 6'2" for reference (well, technically 6'1 3/4" but I like to round up!)

To recap:
GA8DU.jpg

And here's what I'm at now. The first picture is June 16th, 2012 and the other pictures are today:

Tashi

Thanks and speaking of skinny, MKP needs to eat more. I've been working out hard but I'm limited to 100lbs with my dumbbells. At least I'm on a cut and not trying to set PRs every workout. Can't wait to start university next month since I'll have access to their gym.

The nerds he eats in GSL are low fat

Tawpgun

The nerds he eats in GSL are low fat

So I thought of a workout.

Spartan Training. Play some Halo. All the kills you get in Team Slayer = a pushup. 1 kill is 1 pushup.

In Objective Donging, 1 kill is 1 situp. Do the workout while searching for next game. Might try it out.

Tashi

Spartan Training. Play some Halo. All the kills you get in Team Slayer = a pushup. 1 kill is 1 pushup.

In Objective Donging, 1 kill is 1 situp. Do the workout while searching for next game. Might try it out.

I've thought about this too lol. Halo nerds think alike. My idea was to do a set of push ups for how negative you went each game. If you go positive, you split that by 2 and do push ups for that mount.

antonz

So 2nd week of July I started a low Carb diet and cut out Soda etc completely. Been losing roughly 3 pounds a week so far. Can be difficult at times since I live with someone who isnt on a low carb mealplan so lots of juggling but its working. I expect it to slow down eventually. Cant keep up the 3 pounds a week forever but it would be nice.

I've thought about this too lol. Halo nerds think alike. My idea was to do a set of push ups for how negative you went each game. If you go positive, you split that by 2 and do push ups for that mount.

When I Used to play counter strike I wanted to do 5 push ups for every death (negative KDR here(

SeanR1221

You know, I was nervous at first posting, but now I'm happy I did. You guys really made me feel better. If other people see a noticeable difference Im going to keep doing what I'm doing and push on, even if the scale doesn't move. Thanks guys :)

Onemic

Day 1

Weighing in at 247 today (6'0)

Goal - 175- 185

I don't think I'll post pics though. I'm way too self consious with my weight and how fat I am.

zam

Hey, I'm starting the gym next wednesday, can I get recomendations on a good split routine? I'm a beginner and I know people will recommend SS for me, I even bought the book this year, the thing is my gym doesn't have the proper equipment to follow SS/SL.
Also, I don't give a crap about strength, I just want to look hot on my birthday in january :p
If you are strong and fit you will look good. Appearance is a consequence of fitness.
(Unless you are strong and have fat on top of that muscle).

If you want to lose weight you should look over your diet first. Weight loss is 90% what you eat.

Also if your gym doesn't have the equipment to do squats (i.e not a single squat rack in the whole gym) you maybe should look into switching gyms (unless there aren't any other gyms nearby or you're locked in with a membership at your current gym). Even the YMCA I went to when visiting my parents had squat racks.

Seguin

Banned
As promised, a comparison from body shot. Left is right before I started my cut, right is today. I feel like I could still stand to lose a LOT of fat before even trying a bulk.

I don't wanna be "that guy", but those two pics look identical to me. You're eating pretty clean, right?

SeanR1221

I don't wanna be "that guy", but those two pics look identical to me. You're eating pretty clean, right?

Here is my diet

No, I don't factor in workout calories burned at all. Ive posted it before, but here is my typical day.

Breakfast (at 7:30-8AM)
- Always 2 eggs, 1 egg white, 2 pieces of bacon (Although I recently bought canadian bacon and can substitute with 3 pieces of that)

Lunch (At 12:30-1PM)
- Either a can of tuna or 6oz of chicken.
- Either broccoli or cottage cheese
- Either 2 eggs or 2oz of cheese
- If I have a salad mix, I make it all into a big salad.

It's important to me that this meal fills me up. I can't eat at work, and need to be satiated until I can eat again around 7pm or so

Dinner
- Either 6oz of chicken, 4 chicken sausages, 2 turkey burgers
- Steamed green beans or broccoli
- Sometimes an ounce of cheddar on the cheese or turkey burgers

Snacks
- Whey mixed in water and creatine
- Cottage cheese and berries (Either strawberries or blue berries)

I mean, I'm never starving, and none of my compound lifts have suffered (like I said, I've gone up about 5% in everything except overhead press). I do 3x5 on the heavy lifts.

And here is my workout schedule.

Day A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay row 3x5

Day B
Overhead press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

This doesn't count the warmup sets. For example, on deadlifts I do 135 1x10, 185 1x5, 225 1x3 then my weight set 255 1x5.

I also do different accessory work, somewhat for asthetics, somewhat to help with the main lifts. Dips, good mornings, hammer curls, incline dumbbell bench, etc. all 3x10.

Week 1 ABA, week 2 BAB, etc. at least one day of no lifting between them.

On off days I did cardio. 30 minutes of running at 6mph. This past week I've replaced that with HIIT.

Log4Girlz

I've been hitting the gym lately, trying to get swole and gain some much needed muscle that I lost in my weight loss from 351 to 18?-19? (I haven't weighed myself in a while). I'm 6'2" for reference (well, technically 6'1 3/4" but I like to round up!)

To recap:
GA8DU.jpg

And here's what I'm at now. The first picture is June 16th, 2012 and the other pictures are today:
1V0Bw.jpg

*slow clap*

Seguin

Banned
Here is my diet

And here is my workout schedule.

Well you must be doing something right if your lifts are constantly improving, but that doesn't seem like a lot of food. I mean, your BMR has to be well over 2200 calories and you're intaking what, 1500? I do similar workouts to yours and are about 20 pounds less, but eat far more food. Hell, I had 15 oz of chicken and 2 cans of tuna for dinner last night ;)

Seguin

Banned
Well body recomposition can be very difficult for some people, genetics play a very big role in it. But if you're eating that clean and your lifts are consistently increasing there's really no reason to get frustrated. But if you're unhappy with the progress, switch things up. Try eating more food or changing your routine around.

SeanR1221

No I'm eating 1500 everyday. One cheat meal a week. Usually Friday or Saturday night. Like last Friday I had a burrito I made.

Could lack of calories be holding me back? If so what should I alter/change about my diet?

CrankyJay

Banned
No I'm eating 1500 everyday. One cheat meal a week. Usually Friday or Saturday night. Like last Friday I had a burrito I made.

Could lack of calories be holding me back? If so what should I alter/change about my diet?

If you're feeling weak at all just up your carbs a little bit and your overall cals a little. Carbs aren't the enemy when you're eating them at the correct time and the carbs are quality.

I was going low carb like you and my lifts were suffering and weight loss stalling, so I upped that amount pre/post workout and it's made all the difference.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I have to agree, for your activity level I don't think you're eating enough. You said about 1900 on workout days right?

BMR calculations are really off on me... I need to do one of those bod-pod scans where they check your bf % level and among others bmr (?) or so I've been lead to believe.

I have a daily activity level of moderate-high to high, and my daily intake is around 1300 kcal ( note : this is my "cutting the last 2 lbs of weight"-intake at 147 lbs body weight ) , with the Harris Benedict Equation my BMR lands around 2800~ kcal which I feel is waaay too high for what my body needs.

CrankyJay

Banned
BMR calculations are really off on me... I need to do one of those bod-pod scans where they check your bf % level and among others bmr (?) or so I've been lead to believe.

I have a daily activity level of moderate-high to high, and my daily intake is around 1300 kcal ( note : this is my "cutting the last 2 lbs of weight"-intake at 147 lbs body weight ) , with the Harris Benedict Equation my BMR lands around 2800~ kcal which I feel is waaay too high for what my body needs.

What do you base this off of? Do you work on your feet all day etc in addition to your working out?

I always put sedentary as my daily activity (because I work a desk job) and I don't count the gym towards that activity.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
What do you base this off of? Do you work on your feet all day etc in addition to your working out?

I always put sedentary as my daily activity (because I work a desk job) and I don't count the gym towards that activity.

Interesting, I was under the assumption that one's daily activity would include the exercise as well ( in my case gym 4-5 times a week, and fast biking for 30 km 4-5 times a week ), in that case I should probably put my daily activity as "sedentary" since I too work the desk.

CrankyJay

Banned
Interesting, I was under the assumption that one's daily activity would include the exercise as well ( in my case gym 4-5 times a week, and fast biking for 30 km 4-5 times a week ), in that case I should probably put my daily activity as "sedentary" since I too work the desk.

I'm not saying I'm right, but this is what I use and it has worked for me in my cut being able to pinpoint how many calories I should be eating as a base.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Petrie

Banned

Considering you lift weights, at the very least you need more calories on lifting days, especially with HiiT as well.

You're staving yourself I'd imagine. I'm cutting 2lbs a week and still need at minimum 1500 a day, and that's if I do nothing at all.

1500 seems way too low on days you lift heavy compound.

CrankyJay

Banned
Considering you lift weights, at the very least you need more calories on lifting days, especially with HiiT as well.

You're staving yourself I'd imagine. I'm cutting 2lbs a week and still need at minimum 1500 a day, and that's if I do nothing at all.

1500 seems way too low on days you lift heavy compound.

I wouldn't pair up HIIT with lifting...if anything do light cardio after a lifting session, HIIT on non-lifting days. Just my opinion though.

LosDaddie

Banned

Relaxed
Flexed.

Nice! I still contend that your weight is fine, and you should start bulking right now. You will shred fat by doing so.

I totally believe it, as far as the minor variation in weight is concerned. My body composition is significantly different than it was around five months ago, and I'm only down not quite 20 lbs. Went from 204 to around 187 at last weigh in (pictures here for those curious: http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/P90X/ )

Great job there, man! I like how in the first pics, you're like "UGH, let's just get these done", and in the last pics "Fuck yeah! Check this shit out"

I'll be That Guy, too. I didn't notice much difference either. His gut look a bit smaller, though.

SeanR1221

I dont do any cardio on lifting days. HIIT on rest days.

So on lifting days eat 1800? HIIT 1500?

I'm 5'8 183lbs, isn't my BMR 1880?

TheCrow

Nice! I still contend that your weight is fine, and you should start bulking right now. You will shred fat by doing so.

Oh I know my weight is fine but that's not good enough. I'm going to keeping cutting for two months or so, depending on how I progress. If I can lose these last 5-10bs I should be ripped and ready to bulk for a year. At the very least I'm waiting till university starts so then I'll have access to a gym.

Revoh

If you are strong and fit you will look good. Appearance is a consequence of fitness.
(Unless you are strong and have fat on top of that muscle).

If you want to lose weight you should look over your diet first. Weight loss is 90% what you eat.

Also if your gym doesn't have the equipment to do squats (i.e not a single squat rack in the whole gym) you maybe should look into switching gyms (unless there aren't any other gyms nearby or you're locked in with a membership at your current gym). Even the YMCA I went to when visiting my parents had squat racks.

I'm doing low carb atm. I'm not exactly looking to lose weight, ideally I just want to lower my bf%.
Unfortunately switching gyms is not an option atm.
The gym isn't a powerlifting one, it's more like a "brah" gym, tons of machines, curlz everywhere, you get the picture. I'm ok with it though.
So, what are the equivalents of SS for a noob in terms of a split routine?

harSon

Banned
I think I'm going to switch over from a 3 day split twice a week, to a 4 day split so I can work carb cycling into my diet. Plus I've basically been going 4-5 days a week anyways, due to body fatigue and life getting in the way of a near day commitment.

Can anyone point me towards some solid information regarding the basics of a carb cycling diet?

SeanR1221

So I found this.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fa...s-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

I guess this could explain my cut? Hm...I do tend to stress a lot too...and obssess how I look in clothes, all that kind of stuff. Everything Lyle says here makes sense and I know he's a reputable source.

After work Im going to Costco and I'm going to get more food.

Start off with 2000 calories and more carbs on lifting days and 1800 calories less carbs on running days. How does that sound? Much better than 1500 calories barely any carbs every day??

Tashi

Figure it's time for some before and after pics. Fuck it. I'm 6'4''

Here's me at a club in California about 2.5 years ago. I don't know my exact weight but I was probably around 320 or more.

8krjC.jpg

Over the course of the following 2 years or so I dropped down to 305. I then started my Keto diet 19 weeks ago and lost 71lbs. This picture was taken last night, 234lbs.

FSk9k.jpg

Next Monday I'm off the keto diet and that's when I start to eat at maintenance level and put serious effort into weight lifting. I'm also hiding my scale and going strictly by the mirror starting next Monday. I guess I'll post more pics around New Years or something.

Dartastic

Okay guys. I guess I should come in here for a bit of help to figure out what I should really do. I'm 5'10, 190 pounds. I want to lose like, 20 or so without really putting on much muscle; I'm basically just looking to cut down the fat. Um. Yeah.

I have a lot of free time, but I have a really hard time figuring out how to prepare meals and stuff like that. I can cook decently, but the whole planning ahead thing screws me up bad. I wind up spoiling food that way and I don't really want to. Plus I don't know WHAT to prepare, or the best ways to do that. Yeah.

Petrie

Banned
So I found this.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fa...s-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

I guess this could explain my cut? Hm...I do tend to stress a lot too...and obssess how I look in clothes, all that kind of stuff. Everything Lyle says here makes sense and I know he's a reputable source.

After work Im going to Costco and I'm going to get more food.

Start off with 2000 calories and more carbs on lifting days and 1800 calories less carbs on running days. How does that sound? Much better than 1500 calories barely any carbs every day??

Sounds better than what you're doing now. I'm a bit taller and did like 2100 on lifting days and 1500 on other days for awhile with great results, but that was my "net", if I did more, I ate more.

zam

I'm doing low carb atm. I'm not exactly looking to lose weight, ideally I just want to lower my bf%.
Unfortunately switching gyms is not an option atm.
The gym isn't a powerlifting one, it's more like a "brah" gym, tons of machines, curlz everywhere, you get the picture. I'm ok with it though.
So, what are the equivalents of SS for a noob in terms of a split routine?
My old gym used to be like that, only 10% of the entire gym area was free weights.
Your gym doesn't even have something like this:
legend-3138-squat-rack.jpg
?
Doesn't even have to have those horizontal safety bars at the bottom.

As to a split equivalent of SS, the whole point of a SS/SL program is that you workout the whole body in a workout, instead of splitting up different areas of the body in different days. I'd say check with Fitness-GAF for a noob routine that isn't SL/SS, the only lifting I've done is SL, SS, and a shitty program with machines only that I got from a trainer when I joined my first gym ever ~2 years ago

LaneDS

Great job there, man! I like how in the first pics, you're like "UGH, let's just get these done", and in the last pics "Fuck yeah! Check this shit out"

Thank you! Like any good weight loss advert, the key is to look as glum as possible in the before photos and smile in the after ones. My goal is to have day 365 photos that make my past self nigh unrecognizable.

Top Bottom