• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Why full fat vs non fat? I have a friend who also advocates full fat.

Mainly because almost all dairy items come with some carbs included and you want to keep your carbs/fat ratio in check. (butter and cheese are the exceptions)

Edit: Ah you on high protien, low fat, low carb?

dralla

Why full fat vs non fat? I have a friend who also advocates full fat.

Because the fat in dairy is good for, it's a good source of natural saturated fats, sometimes good trans fats. Plus, if they suck out the fat there's also a good chance they add in sugar, like shit non-fat yogurt. Also, if they take out the fat you're getting a lot of of the dairy protein in it's place, the protein in dairy is insulinogenic (which is why butter is not a problem, no protein). Basically you want dairy in it's most natural form to get the proper amount of fats to protein ratio. Oh, and it also taste better!

Good article on Paleo template - http://chriskresser.com/beyond-paleo-moving-from-a-paleo-diet-to-a-paleo-template

CrankyJay

Banned
Mainly because almost all dairy items come with some carbs included and you want to keep your carbs/fat ratio in check. (butter and cheese are the exceptions)

Edit: Ah you on high protien, low fat, low carb?

Currently on a 50p/30c/20f split. Down 24 pounds on it. 4 pounds to my original goal but I might go for an extra 5 after that.

CrankyJay

Banned
Because the fat in dairy is good for, it's a good source of natural saturated fats, sometimes good trans fats. Plus, if they suck out the fat there's also a good chance they add in sugar, like shit non-fat yogurt. Also, if they take out the fat you're getting a lot of of the dairy protein in it's place, the protein in dairy is insulinogenic (which is why butter is not a problem, no protein). Basically you won't dairy in it's most natural form to get the proper amount of fats to protein ratio. Oh, and it also taste better!

I'm assuming the sugars in nonfat plain Greek are from the lactose though? It's still bitter as fuck. 23g protein 9g sugar per 8oz.

I agree though. The Fage Total is amazing.

I'm into Week 2 of the Insanity Program, and i'm loving it! Started at 99kg (220 lb), already at 97kg (213 lb) and aiming for 88kg (194 lb) by the end, with an ultimate goal of about 82kg (180 lb). I don't want to bulk up muscle, but i'll start light weights at the end of the program. It feels incredible watching what you eat and working out every day to the point i'm kind of amazed it's taken me so long. I used to skateboard & ride bikes a lot, but since not doing that so much, i've kind of put on a little weight, but just moreso felt shitty. Anyone else doing or done the Insanity program?

Oh, also, does anyone have a Withings scale? I want to get a decent scale, and with this thing automatically synching with Weightbot and tracking your weight online, it seems like a good, if not expensive, option.

dralla

I'm assuming the sugars in nonfat plain Greek are from the lactose though? It's still bitter as fuck. 23g protein 9g sugar per 8oz.

I agree though. The Fage Total is amazing.

I sweeten mine with a packet of truvia and cinnamon. or if you want a chocolately flavor you can add truvia and unsweetened cocoa powder. I add almonds and/or walnuts too, sometimes strawberries. The sugar in the NF Greek is lactose, it's all the protein that I'm not a fan off, there are better sources of protein than dairy.

How much yoghurt would you have? I usually have about 3 big spoonfuls with banana for breakfast. I've really developed the taste for Greek Yoghurt.

CrankyJay

Banned
I sweeten mine with a packet of truvia and cinnamon. or if you want a chocolately flavor you can add truvia and unsweetened cocoa powder. I add almonds and/or walnuts too, sometimes strawberries. The sugar in the NF Greek is lactose, it's all the protein that I'm not a fan off, there are better sources of protein than dairy.

It's something that fills me up between lunch and dinner. My main source of protein is from whey/chicken/beef/fish/pork depending on the day. I'm north of 200g a day usually, especially on heavy lifting days.

SeanR1221

Went to Costco tonight. Got more chicken, wings (for extra calorie food), brown rice and Greek yogurt. Lifting tomorrow, it's going to be weird eating 2000 calories.

I add chocolate whey to my greek yogurt in the morning...makes it taste amazing...and if i need more calories, add almonds. It tastes like a cheat breakfast, but getting close to 50g of protein first thing in the morning.

Sometimes I make it in advance, why do you ask?

Just curious how other people do it. I have a friend who broils a huge pot of chicken breast every sunday and he eats it every night for dinner. I've been thinking of doing the same. It would be nice to have a chicken ready to go some nights without having to bake it.

Jamesways

Just curious how other people do it. I have a friend who broils a huge pot of chicken breast every sunday and he eats it every night for dinner. I've been thinking of doing the same. It would be nice to have a chicken ready to go some nights without having to bake it.

I bake 4-7 chicken breasts up Sunday or Monday and shred them for salad lunches for the week. Sometimes I'll use some for dinners too.

I occasionally mix vanilla whey protein in my 2% fage plain greek yogurt in the morning. Probably protein overkill, but it's delicious, and less sugar than other things you can mix in.

dralla

The foreman grill is great for quick meals, cook just about anything that's an inch or thinner in just a few minutes. for larger things like full chicken breasts, I find it easier to bake a whole bunch at a time. The scrambler recipe I posted above is also good for quick meals, delicious too :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Figure it's time for some before and after pics. Fuck it. I'm 6'4''

Here's me at a club in California about 2.5 years ago. I don't know my exact weight but I was probably around 320 or more.

8krjC.jpg

Over the course of the following 2 years or so I dropped down to 305. I then started my Keto diet 19 weeks ago and lost 71lbs. This picture was taken last night, 234lbs.

FSk9k.jpg

Next Monday I'm off the keto diet and that's when I start to eat at maintenance level and put serious effort into weight lifting. I'm also hiding my scale and going strictly by the mirror starting next Monday. I guess I'll post more pics around New Years or something.

You look like a completely different person from when we hung out in New York. Awesome work.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't usually post here, I mostly post in Fitgaf.

For those of you who don't know me, I pride myself on being strong, but I decided I needed to go on a cut. While I didn't get the results I really wanted, I did make some progress. I figured I would share, and maybe motivate some of you to lift some weights!

218 today, down from 246 in January 28 lbs total. Most of that since May.

Here are then January shirtless pics.

409673_4420992493911_841140712_n.jpg

319348_4420994653965_122604925_n.jpg

Here are the now pictures.

373958_4420988093801_1301372060_n.jpg

314372_4420988573813_1214036416_n.jpg

Quads are 26 inches

Waist is 34 inches

Calves and biceps are 16 inches (had wife measure all.)

Not exactly where I wanted to be, but it's at least an improvement.

I'm still pulling 500+, benching upper 300s (370+), squatting around 400ish (really took a hit) and still military pressing 230.

And one last pic with me with a god damned shirt on.

418346_4421028094801_341644863_n.jpg

harSon

Banned
I don't usually post here, I mostly post in Fitgaf.

For those of you who don't know me, I pride myself on being strong, but I decided I needed to go on a cut. While I didn't get the results I really wanted, I did make some progress. I figured I would share, and maybe motivate some of you to lift some weights!

218 today, down from 246 in January 28 lbs total. Most of that since May.

Here are then January shirtless pics.

Quads are 26 inches

Waist is 34 inches

Calves and biceps are 16 inches (had wife measure all.)

Not exactly where I wanted to be, but it's at least an improvement.

I'm still pulling 500+, benching upper 300s (370+), squatting around 400ish (really took a hit) and still military pressing 230.

And one last pic with me with a god damned shirt on.

418346_4421028094801_341644863_n.jpg

Great job man! I really wish I had started lifting a lot sooner then I did. The weight your lifting has me envious.

And I'd have a similar pelt if I didn't take the clippers to my chest every so often haha, we should start chest hair-gaf!

harSon

Banned
Has anyone had friends who've relapsed once they got into a steady relationship with someone? I think it's called putting on Happy Weight/Fat. I've had a few friends who've undergone a transformation, only to put a significant chunk of it back on once they started dating. While I'm certainly happy to see that they're confident and happy with their new bodies, it kind of sucks that they'll find themselves a few dozen pounds heavier if and when they end that relationship.

I've seen it happen time and time again...

windz

I'd recommend it. It's nice having your chicken/bacon/etc cooked up at least a couple days in advance so you aren't having to cook every night. Sometimes time doesn't allow for that but when it does, it's nice just having everything ready to go.

dralla

Has anyone had friends who've relapsed once they got into a steady relationship with someone? I think it's called putting on Happy Weight/Fat. I've had a few friends who've undergone a transformation, only to put a significant chunk of it back on once they started dating. While I'm certainly happy to see that they're confident and happy with their new bodies, it kind of sucks that they'll find themselves a few dozen pounds heavier if and when they end that relationship.

It's pretty common, for me it's been the exact opposite. The girl I'm seeing has started eating a (mostly) paleo-style diet because of me, she's lost weight!

I'd recommend it. It's nice having your chicken/bacon/etc cooked up at least a couple days in advance so you aren't having to cook every night. Sometimes time doesn't allow for that but when it does, it's nice just having everything ready to go.
Most super markets sell whole rotisserie chickens too, usually for around 7 bucks. They're good if you're feeling lazy or are just short on time.

SeanR1221

Yup, I went through this until I got back on track but I still can't get back to my old weight (but I'm much stronger so there's always that).

My one friend was a stick. After he started dating his obese gf, he blew up. Easily packed on 60+ pounds.

CrankyJay

Banned
It's pretty common, for me it's been the exact opposite. The girl I'm seeing has started eating a (mostly) paleo-style diet because of me, she's lost weight!

Most super markets sell whole rotisserie chickens too, usually for around 7 bucks. They're good if you're feeling lazy or are just short on time.

yah, been meaning to do this. mine at even cheaper i think...around $5

SeanR1221

I should be hitting 2000 calories today, 120g of carbs, 200g of protein, 30g of carbs. Lifted heavy today.

The more I look into it, the more I'm reading I was eating way to little calories. 1500 (and not counting calories burned from exercise) I guess my body was holding onto whatever it could.

I think back to college when I was my lowest. 155. Now, I was a lot weaker, but also a heck of a lot slimmer. My diet? Definitely high in protein but I ate stuff like oatmeal, wheat bread and cereal without stressing...so I think I should be ok having some carbs lifting 3 times and running 3 times a week.

OG Kush

I think back to college when I was my lowest. 155. Now, I was a lot weaker, but also a heck of a lot slimmer. My diet? Definitely high in protein but I ate stuff like oatmeal, wheat bread and cereal without stressing...so I think I should be ok having some carbs lifting 3 times and running 3 times a week.

Oh for sure, I also want to know if you experience better workouts with the increase in carbs.

CrankyJay

Banned
I should be hitting 2000 calories today, 120g of carbs, 200g of protein, 30g of carbs. Lifted heavy today.

The more I look into it, the more I'm reading I was eating way to little calories. 1500 (and not counting calories burned from exercise) I guess my body was holding onto whatever it could.

30g fat? Or is your fat the 120?

Anyway, how do you feel eating more so far? A little more energized? Are your workouts at night or in the mornings?

grumble

So I found this.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fa...s-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

I guess this could explain my cut? Hm...I do tend to stress a lot too...and obssess how I look in clothes, all that kind of stuff. Everything Lyle says here makes sense and I know he's a reputable source.

After work Im going to Costco and I'm going to get more food.

Start off with 2000 calories and more carbs on lifting days and 1800 calories less carbs on running days. How does that sound? Much better than 1500 calories barely any carbs every day??

Lyle is usually a pretty good writer, but I always find it hard to read his stuff because he's such an unbelievable douchebag.

Top Bottom