• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

SeanR1221

I'll definitely be posting updates as I go along.

Costco has these great brown rice bowls. A pack of 6 for 7.00. That'll last me two weeks (one for each lifting day) and they cook in 1.5 minutes. I mixed it in a pan with a can of tuna and sriracha sauce and it was a really good post workout meal.

deadlast

Has anyone had friends who've relapsed once they got into a steady relationship with someone? I think it's called putting on Happy Weight/Fat. I've had a few friends who've undergone a transformation, only to put a significant chunk of it back on once they started dating. While I'm certainly happy to see that they're confident and happy with their new bodies, it kind of sucks that they'll find themselves a few dozen pounds heavier if and when they end that relationship.

I've seen it happen time and time again...

The worst is when your wife/gf gets pregnant. She starts craving fast food, then you start eating fast food or eating more fast food. Heck you start making multiple trips to the local grease bucket, multiple times in a day. You start speaking fluently in fast-foodanese. And next thing you know, bam! 30+ lbs of "sympathy" weight.

I recommended the low carb diet to a friend, he's reported back and his first weigh in (second week of diet) showed a weight loss of 9lbs. He's pretty ecstatic about the loss, but I'm worried.

It's not healthy, right? He says he's not starving himself, but as I'm unable to check up on him I can't confirm if he is/isn't, he isn't prone to lying though so I'm taking his word for it.

I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to lose that much weight in the second week without doing something extreme like starvation.

SeanR1221

30g fat? Or is your fat the 120?

Anyway, how do you feel eating more so far? A little more energized? Are your workouts at night or in the mornings?

Oops! 30g of fat.

Workout felt good actually. Pulled 260 1x5 on my deads. A new PR, I could only do 2 before.

I definitely feel better eating more. Less hazy if that makes sense. I estimate I was on a deficit of around 1,000 calories a day, which I'm sure is really unhealthy.

Petrie

Banned
I recommended the low carb diet to a friend, he's reported back and his first weigh in (second week of diet) showed a weight loss of 9lbs. He's pretty ecstatic about the loss, but I'm worried.

It's not healthy, right? He says he's not starving himself, but as I'm unable to check up on him I can't confirm if he is/isn't, he isn't prone to lying though so I'm taking his word for it.

I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to lose that much weight in the second week without doing something extreme like starvation.

I'd guess that's mostly water weight. If he continues to lose at that rate, then worry.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So this was my day yesterday. This is typical for a weekday for me minus the pita chips/hummus, and subbing chicken for pork chops most days.

Anything I need to change? My carbs were high yesterday (I usually shoot for 80) because of pita chips, and I didn't realize honey had as many carbs as it does I guess.

Suggestions? As mentioned, this is a typical weekday for me.

Capture.PNG

harSon

Banned

That's pretty standard in the beginning of any diet. Most of the weight loss is water weight, his weight loss will be nowhere as substantial as he progresses through the diet.

I'd guess that's mostly water weight. If he continues to lose at that rate, then worry.

That's pretty standard in the beginning of any diet. Most of the weight loss is water weight, his weight loss will be nowhere as substantial as he progresses through the diet.

I didn't want to worry him for no reason, so thanks for putting my mind at ease. Guess it's time to shower him with praise. Hope he keeps it up as he often stops dieting within a few weeks.

CrankyJay

Banned
I definitely feel better eating more. Less hazy if that makes sense. I estimate I was on a deficit of around 1,000 calories a day, which I'm sure is really unhealthy.

1000 eating alone or are you factoring in your workout sessions?

1000 isn't bad if it's 500 from diet and 500 from exercise...that should be 2 pounds a week which is considered to be on the upper end of acceptable weight loss for a week.

CrankyJay

Banned
So this was my day yesterday. This is typical for a weekday for me minus the pita chips/hummus, and subbing chicken for pork chops most days.

Anything I need to change? My carbs were high yesterday (I usually shoot for 80) because of pita chips, and I didn't realize honey had as many carbs as it does I guess.

Suggestions? As mentioned, this is a typical weekday for me.

Doesn't look awful to be honest...maybe cut down the 2tbsp honey to 1 if you're worried about carbs? Fat is maybe on the high side but I don't know what macros you are going for.

My max fat per day is 42g on 1900 cals (20%)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Doesn't look awful to be honest...maybe cut down the 2tbsp honey to 1 if you're worried about carbs? Fat is maybe on the high side but I don't know what macros you are going for.

My max fat per day is 42g on 1900 cals (20%)

Thanks. The issue with the honey is that plain greek yogurt tastes awful the less of it you use. :p

Fat was a bit high because of the hummus I think. I don't eat that every day.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks. The issue with the honey is that plain greek yogurt tastes awful the less of it you use. :p

Fat was a bit high because of the hummus I think. I don't eat that every day.

I eat the yogurt quickly and wash it down with black coffee. Every day at 3 or 3:30. lol

It is bitter for sure.

Here's mine for the day...coming in a bit low...if I get hungry around 9 I'll see if I can find some lean protein and a few carbs to fill in the rest of those cals I'm missing.

CrankyJay

Banned
People having an issue with plain greek yogurt. Drop chobani/dannon and go with fage. It's SO much better.

Well, we're talking non-fat plain...I didn't find a taste difference vs savings between the non-fat Fage and Chobani.

However...the 2% and Total Fage are unrivaled.

SeanR1221

1000 eating alone or are you factoring in your workout sessions?

1000 isn't bad if it's 500 from diet and 500 from exercise...that should be 2 pounds a week which is considered to be on the upper end of acceptable weight loss for a week.

Factoring in workout. I mean fact is I should have lost more than 0 pounds in 2 months if I was doing it right.

CrankyJay

Banned
Factoring in workout. I mean fact is I should have lost more than 0 pounds in 2 months if I was doing it right.

That's the deficit I am running with a few stalls along the way. 24 pounds now.

Are you weighing your foods etc? Do you feel your body composition changing?

SeanR1221

That's the deficit I am running with a few stalls along the way. 24 pounds now.

Are you weighing your foods etc? Do you feel your body composition changing?

Everything is weighed and measured.

I didn't feel any changes, and as some pointed out a couple days ago they didn't notice physical changes either.

I'm estimating my BMR correctly right? I'm 25, 5'8, 185 pounds. BMR is close to 1900, so like 2280 after sedentary day to day, then 400 for an hour of lifting or cardio?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, we're talking non-fat plain...I didn't find a taste difference vs savings between the non-fat Fage and Chobani.

However...the 2% and Total Fage are unrivaled.

Yeah, I'm talking plain 0% too. I hated chobani, but fage was so much better both texture and bitterness for me.

CrankyJay

Banned
Everything is weighed and measured.

I didn't feel any changes, and as some pointed out a couple days ago they didn't notice physical changes either.

I'm estimating my BMR correctly right? I'm 25, 5'8, 185 pounds. BMR is close to 1900, so like 2280 after sedentary day to day, then 400 for an hour of lifting or cardio?

I'm 32, 6'2...funny...those are the exact numbers I'm running off I think. 1900 for 500 cal deficit, 2300 for maint.

I'm guessing your maint might be closer to 2000...you could try scaling back to 1700 cals, but you just started this 2000 thing so I don't want to pull you off something without having seen what the results are.

The problem is these things are just estimates and you need to do some trial and error to dial into what your maint is, but you need to give it a week or two at a time to figure that stuff out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm 32, 6'2...funny...those are the exact numbers I'm running off I think. 1900 for 500 cal deficit, 2300 for maint.

I'm guessing your maint might be closer to 2000...you could try scaling back to 1700 cals, but you just started this 2000 thing so I don't want to pull you off something without having seen what the results are.

The problem is these things are just estimates and you need to do some trial and error to dial into what your maint is, but you need to give it a week or two at a time to figure that stuff out.

Yeah, I imagine mine is pretty far off base on my muscle density (I mean that requires more calories anyway, right?) but there's no way to program that into this thing.

I'm working on 2400 maint right now, but I imagine I may be a little higher.

SeanR1221

I'll be doing 1800 on my cardio days, 2000 on lifting days. And yeah I agree I'll have to give it a couple weeks.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah, I imagine mine is pretty far off base on my muscle density (I mean that requires more calories anyway, right?) but there's no way to program that into this thing.

I'm working on 2400 maint right now, but I imagine I may be a little higher.

I'll be doing 1800 on my cardio days, 2000 on lifting days. And yeah I agree I'll have to give it a couple weeks.

It's a great feeling when you really dial into what exactly you are taking in and burning off and if you stick to that the weight comes off at the expected time. It's amazing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's a great feeling when you really dial into what exactly you are taking in and burning off and if you stick to that the weight comes off at the expected time. It's amazing.

I actually can't wait for this. I start on Monday. My maintenance is about 3000 on lazy days and up to 3300 on work out days.

Grats. Always nice to see the scale moving.

I was afraid I wasn't eating enough, too. And my body doesn't feel really different or look all that different, so I wasn't even sure I WAS losing weight.

Especially since I get full really fast, so eating a lot to make up for my 800+ calorie workouts has been really hard (I usually only end up with around 1000 calories total a day if you subtract my 800-1000 calorie workouts). But I always feel full by the end of the day, and my body never enters starvation mode, so I guess that's all that matters.

I've actually been ignoring my calorie counts in the last two weeks because listening to my body in the last two weeks has been far more effective and comfortable than listening to all of the number crunching I was doing everyday for the two weeks prior to then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm up to 1737 calories, 134g of carbs, 28g of fat, 227g of protein.

Maybe I'll have another scoop of whey before bed.

Do you ever think it's weird that you're living by numbers you decided arbitrarily rather than just letting your satiety mechanism work?

Do you ever think it's weird that you're living by numbers you decided arbitrarily rather than just letting your satiety mechanism work?

Seriously, just let your body do the talking. Watch what you eat, but listen to your body way more than you listen to numbers.

My last two weeks of listening to my body was far more effective and less stressful than my the two weeks before where I was obsessively number crunching.

SeanR1221

No, I don't think it's weird at all actually. Your experience doesn't always have all the answers, Zefah, and you have to acknowledge some people are in different situations. Can you explain why two months of eating 20g of carbs a day, resulted in 0 weight loss or any major body recomposition?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, I don't think it's weird at all actually. Your experience doesn't always have all the answers, Zefah, and you have to acknowledge some people are in different situations. Can you explain why two months of eating 20g of carbs a day, resulted in 0 weight loss or any major body recomposition?

I just think a situation where you are saying "maybe I'll have more food" simply because some arbitrarily determined numbers aren't where you want them to be is kind of ridiculous.

Yeah I am totally a believer is satiety myself. I can almost always trust my body as long as I stay on my diet as to what foods to eat. The only danger in when I have a cheat.....can't trust my apatite for weeks afterwards.

mooooose

Down to 149 today but I really feel like my strength is hurting. Mostly because I haven't been to the gym much lately and instead just doing pushups and pullups (don't have a car right now so going is kind of a bitch). Even then, pullups have gotten somewhat easier because of the weightloss, but chinups have gotten HARDER, I can only do like 8 clean ones in a row before I really start using my abs to help.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys. I'm having a dillema here. About 6 days ago I downloaded myfitnesspal for my ipod and I've been entering everything I've eaten religiously.

So after almost a week I wanted to see what my calorie breakdown was and I'm not happy. Now, for months now ive been trying to stay under 1500 calories a day. The app is really helping with that, but its letting me see a bunch of areas where I fall short.

The app told me that for this week my diet has been 61% carbs, 16% protein, and 23% fat. my diet is almost entirely comprised of beans, lentils, and fruit because I'm a vegetarian. I do theoretically do dairy but I stopped drinking anything with calories and I hate cheese so its effectively gone from my diet.

Should I be concerned about that much of my input being carbs if it is almost entirely fruits, beans, and lentils? it ain't like I'm pounding twinkies or anything.

I eat a ton of eggs and it said my cholesterol was higher than it should be but didn't I hear that there was no link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol? should I be concerned or is it no biggie?

The last thing I noticed on my stats page was that my calcium was below where it needs to be. Can you recommend a way for a dude who only drinks water and black coffee, and doesn't eat cheese or animal products to get more calcium?

I've been a vegetarian for a decade now and didn't lose an ounce because my diet was almost all pasta and junk food. I'm below 300 now and I'm making this happen. Someday I'm gonna get below 200, but I don't want to start eating meat to do it unless I really have to.

I know I need to go jogging more. I go like 2-3 times a week for around 2.5 or 3 miles. my job is pretty active and I'm always on my feet, would it be a good idea for me to start taking a multi-vitamin or am I not active enough to bother?

Sorry for the long post but you guys know so much and its all so new to me. I really do appreciate your time spent reading this, I just really freaked out looking at my stat page. I've been trying so hard and I've lost 50 pounds these past 5 months andI want to keep it up and not screw up and start gaining weight again.

Thanks, all!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Because not eating enough food is a potential possibility of why I didn't lose weight?

Yeah, this is the reason.

Calorie counting is good because it's the most mainstream (and easiest) way that people can track their food intake to see how much they're eating on a daily basis.

Piecake

Hey guys. I'm having a dillema here. About 6 days ago I downloaded myfitnesspal for my ipod and I've been entering everything I've eaten religiously.

So after almost a week I wanted to see what my calorie breakdown was and I'm not happy. Now, for months now ive been trying to stay under 1500 calories a day. The app is really helping with that, but its letting me see a bunch of areas where I fall short.

The app told me that for this week my diet has been 61% carbs, 16% protein, and 23% fat. my diet is almost entirely comprised of beans, lentils, and fruit because I'm a vegetarian. I do theoretically do dairy but I stopped drinking anything with calories and I hate cheese so its effectively gone from my diet.

Should I be concerned about that much of my input being carbs if it is almost entirely fruits, beans, and lentils? it ain't like I'm pounding twinkies or anything.

I eat a ton of eggs and it said my cholesterol was higher than it should be but didn't I hear that there was no link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol? should I be concerned or is it no biggie?

The last thing I noticed on my stats page was that my calcium was below where it needs to be. Can you recommend a way for a dude who only drinks water and black coffee, and doesn't eat cheese or animal products to get more calcium?

I've been a vegetarian for a decade now and didn't lose an ounce because my diet was almost all pasta and junk food. I'm below 300 now and I'm making this happen. Someday I'm gonna get below 200, but I don't want to start eating meat to do it unless I really have to.

I know I need to go jogging more. I go like 2-3 times a week for around 2.5 or 3 miles. my job is pretty active and I'm always on my feet, would it be a good idea for me to start taking a multi-vitamin or am I not active enough to bother?

Sorry for the long post but you guys know so much and its all so new to me. I really do appreciate your time spent reading this, I just really freaked out looking at my stat page. I've been trying so hard and I've lost 50 pounds these past 5 months andI want to keep it up and not screw up and start gaining weight again.

Thanks, all!

You should lift weights instead of jogging. Lifting weights is much more beneficial. Just take some long walks. No need to jog

I wouldnt trust some app to tell you what your cholesterol level is at. Eggs are perfectly amazing for you. Continue to eat a shit ton of them. You should probably eat more considering that 60% carbs isnt good if you are going for a reduced carb diet. But i guess its not really needed if you feel 'full' at 1500 calories, 60% of those calories being carbs.

I hate to say it, but eating meat would make your diet a lot easier

Multi-vitamins are worthless. Start talking fish oil immediately though. You seriously NEED omega 3

bill0527

Update:

Me in June 2011 @ 265 lbs:
bill1_NEW.jpg

Sept 2011 @ 265 lbs:
me2.jpg

May early June @ around 225 lbs:
IMG_0874.jpg

Last week @ 210 lbs:
august2012.jpg

15 lbs more to go to hit my goal. Then the plan is to start lifting and really tone up. Right now all I'm doing is cardio, and a few pushups and very light weight lifting a couple of times a week.

No special diet, no special plan, no magic pills and I'm not killing myself in the process. Just keeping it below 2000 calories a day and trying to burn 500-700 calories a day doing different things and doing something every single day. Some days I power walk 5-6 miles then when I get bored with that, I ride a bike, and then when I get bored with that I lightly jog on a treadmill about 3 miles and walk a couple more.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
You should lift weights instead of jogging. Lifting weights is much more beneficial. Just take some long walks. No need to jog

I wouldnt trust some app to tell you what your cholesterol level is at. Eggs are perfectly amazing for you. Continue to eat a shit ton of them. You should probably eat more considering that 60% carbs isnt good if you are going for a reduced carb diet. But i guess its not really needed if you feel 'full' at 1500 calories, 60% of those calories being carbs.

I hate to say it, but eating meat would make your diet a lot easier

Multi-vitamins are worthless. Start talking fish oil immediately though. You seriously NEED omega 3
I sorta assumed that a multi-vitamin would have all the stuff I'd need in it, but I guess not.

Seems like I may need to start eating chicken at the very least so I can cut my bean and lentil intake down.

I've tried eating meat again once, years ago. it was a very unpleasant experience, and I couldn't even swallow it. Seems like if I really want this I'm gonna have to put in the effort and choke down meat.

I was hoping the beans and lentils would keep that from happening, but I thought this day might come.

I'm definitely going to keep up the walks, but I can always put some weights in there too. I was using an old barbell from when I was a teen a few weeks back and I was ashamed of how weak I was.

Zoe

I sorta assumed that a multi-vitamin would have all the stuff I'd need in it, but I guess not.

The problem with multivitamins is your body most likely won't have time to absorb it all before it exits your body.

You probably should be getting calcium supplements if you're worried about that though, and there are some vegetables that are calcium-rich.

SeanR1221

So today is looking like 1700 calories, 77g of fat, 28g of carbs (and 11 fiber), and 205g of protein. I'll be doing HIIT today so I might have some almonds or something if I'm hungry later.

CrankyJay

Banned
Was starving after my fasted cardio this morning....more so than usual. Had a 2 egg ommelette with some cheddar and left over turkey kielbasa. Sort of a cheat for me.

A little over on carbs and fat and under on protein, but today wasn't a lifting day so I'm not too worried.

Top Bottom