• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just found the Reddit keto guides and a meal guide someone put together (below) and it's given me some awesome and practical recipes. My issue was always that I couldn't spend a ton and I had to have stuff to take to work. The recipe guide has a lot of good stuff. Still need some low carb (easy) lunches too.

I may try to start keto this week and see how it goes. My biggest issue always is the weekends, so if I can get myself through a weekend on it I should be good. Do you do cheat meals with keto?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nFFXn_Uve5uh0qtqdAa0HvpEqqwKn6K00Z773pgLmEw/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
It really is impressive what so many people in this thread are able to accomplish.

it is impressive. I wish i had the will power to do the same.

edit: i think i am going to jump on this weight loss thing again. I just need to find a good diet and stick with it. I still have my friend's P90X dvds so i will use that and go back to the gym as well. Going to order a pull up bar this weekend.

OG Kush

Just found the Reddit keto guides and a meal guide someone put together (below) and it's given me some awesome and practical recipes. My issue was always that I couldn't spend a ton and I had to have stuff to take to work. The recipe guide has a lot of good stuff. Still need some low carb (easy) lunches too.

I may try to start keto this week and see how it goes. My biggest issue always is the weekends, so if I can get myself through a weekend on it I should be good. Do you do cheat meals with keto?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nFFXn_Uve5uh0qtqdAa0HvpEqqwKn6K00Z773pgLmEw/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit
How much exercise do you do? a lot of people have a carb refeed day (meaning low fats, but high carbs that day) once a week or every 10 days or whenever they feel their body needs it. in terms of a cheat day where you eat whatever, I would suggest not sticking to a once a week thing and do it according to the scale. once you've actually lost some weight then treat yourself. Set the goal at 5lbs maybe? Maybe 3lbs? But whenever you lose a certain amount you can then treat yourself. This may mean you only have a cheat day every 2 weeks or so, but trust me it's worth it. Doing a cheat day once a week can hinder fat loss if have a slow metabolic rate. If you're someone who has always been pretty skinny and can eat a lot without gaining weight, but just trying to cut to get ripped, then maybe you could get away with a cheat day once a week.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
it is impressive. I wish i had the will power to do the same.

edit: i think i am going to jump on this weight loss thing again. I just need to find a good diet and stick with it. I still have my friend's P90X dvds so i will use that and go back to the gym as well. Going to order a pull up bar this weekend.

What pushed me over the edge to start dieting was the tail end of my senior year in high school when I was 330 pounds and my doctor just came at me straight up and said "if you go on like this, you WILL get diabetes." It was that phrase that pushed me over the edge.

But what I did first was different than simply jumping on a particular plan. I:

1) made water my ONLY liquid. Period.
2) Cut out all junk food and fast food. Period.

That's ALL I did and I lost 60 pounds in a little over two months.

My suggestion to you is to start doing that in the beginning until you lose as much weight as can be lost on those two changes THEN start adding specifics such as going low carb, cutting vegetable oil, having more vegetables, etc. So you can continue having your bread, your rice, your wheat, your oats, whatever it is you typically eat - just minus junk and fast food.

neojubei

What pushed me over the edge to start dieting was the tail end of my senior year in high school when I was 330 pounds and my doctor just came at me straight up and said "if you go on like this, you WILL get diabetes." It was that phrase that pushed me over the edge.

But what I did first was different than simply jumping on a particular plan. I:

1) made water my ONLY liquid. Period.
2) Cut out all junk food and fast food. Period.

That's ALL I did and I lost 60 pounds in a little over two months.

My suggestion to you is to start doing that in the beginning until you lose as much weight as can be lost on those two changes THEN start adding specifics such as going low carb, cutting vegetable oil, having more vegetables, etc. So you can continue having your bread, your rice, your wheat, your oats, whatever it is you typically eat - just minus junk and fast food.

Thanks. I am cutting all soda and fast food from my diet today.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Thanks. I am cutting all soda and fast food from my diet today.

It's very sound advice. I stopped drinking anything with calories in it and it's a great help. Just water and black coffee (with Splenda, though).

Best of luck to everyone just starting out! It'll be worth all the crap.

Messi

I cut out soda and switched to water before I ever changed my food and noticed a big change in my weight and energy levels. I didnt feel like shit all the time.

Horseticuffs

Guys, I'm so hyped! I've been doing IF for about a week now and it seems to have helped me off the plateau I was on.

I was stuck hovering around 270 for 3-4 weeks and I just weighed in at 262.5. Then I weighed in about 5 or 6 more times just to make sure I wasn't getting happy for no reason :p

12.5 more pounds and I'll have lost 100lbs and be halfway to my goal. I honestly wasn't expecting good news. I've been feeling really fat lately and every window/mirror I passed had me fearing I had been getting fatter.

Sometimes I get concerned that I'm developing a body-image disorder or something. Some days I'll see my reflection and if it looks thinner I'll actually FEEL thinner, and the opposite applies as well.

Realistically I'm not getting much thinner/fatter on a daily basis and I know that. It's kinda disconcerting how a glance in the mirror can make or break your day.

despire

Schattenjäger;42295333 said:
Why is caffeine bad for dieting ?

Caffeine in it's self is very good for dieting. It stunts your appetite and should even help you burn a little more fat due to thermogenesis. It's also cheap.

I personally took caffeine pills when I dieted and they helped me a lot.

jaxword

I cut out soda and switched to water before I ever changed my food and noticed a big change in my weight and energy levels. I didnt feel like shit all the time.

Good job, hopefully most people will be inspired by this message because our society really needs to cut those sodas out from our diets. They're poison.

Hey, WeightlossGAF!
I've recently begun dieting after a year/ish long break, and I'm hoping to cut about 20 lbs by the end of the year. During this year I've fluctuated between 185 and 195 lbs, and I'm aiming for around 160-165 before I start a rigorous muscle building routine. I started my journey in the fall of 2010 when I weighed around 230 lbs, and by the end of that year had dropped to 185 lbs. I've since kept the weight off, but I have a lot of flab on my arms, legs, gut, and some serious love handles. I'll try to keep posting updates every few weeks. Here are some pics from before and just a few days ago. Everyone remember that it is possible for you to make your weight goals, you just have to keep your eyes on the prize!
ixS8YT1OOXqar.jpg

circa 2008, but I looked the same until 2010. I'm in the middle if you couldn't guess.
I'll try to get a full body shot soon.

Horseticuffs

Hey, WeightlossGAF!
I've recently begun dieting after a year/ish long break, and I'm hoping to cut about 20 lbs by the end of the year. During this year I've fluctuated between 185 and 195 lbs, and I'm aiming for around 160-165 before I start a rigorous muscle building routine. I started my journey in the fall of 2010 when I weighed around 230 lbs, and by the end of that year had dropped to 185 lbs. I've since kept the weight off, but I have a lot of flab on my arms, legs, gut, and some serious love handles. I'll try to keep posting updates every few weeks. Here are some pics from before and just a few days ago. Everyone remember that it is possible for you to make your weight goals, you just have to keep your eyes on the prize!
ixS8YT1OOXqar

circa 2008, but I looked the same until 2010. I'm in the middle if you couldn't guess.
I'll try to get a full body shot soon.
Good luck, man. Looks like you already have the tools you need!

All ya' gotta do is, like you say, keep your eyes on the prize.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I wasn't really concerned about my weight, but I just ordered two shirts which are slightly too small, so I've decided to crack down. Granted, they're too small in the shoulders, which, uh, probably isn't going to change, but better a nonsensical impetus than none at all.

School is well underway.

I guess thats that.

I'll try to keep up the running, we'll see.
I've seen a decent number of people running on campus.

Tawpgun

I wasn't really concerned about my weight, but I just ordered two shirts which are slightly too small, so I've decided to crack down. Granted, they're too small in the shoulders, which, uh, probably isn't going to change, but better a nonsensical impetus than none at all.

I've seen a decent number of people running on campus.

I just need more motivation now. I feel like I could be doing homework or relaxing when I can. At bare minimum I run on sundays (after a weekend of poor decisions). Found a nice route along the Charles River on the Boston side and Cambridge side. Love the view. I took this last Sunday.

We'll see how long I can do that before it gets cold. Then I might go back to the treadmill (laaaaame)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just need more motivation now. I feel like I could be doing homework or relaxing when I can. At bare minimum I run on sundays (after a weekend of poor decisions). Found a nice route along the Charles River on the Boston side and Cambridge side. Love the view. I took this last Sunday.

We'll see how long I can do that before it gets cold. Then I might go back to the treadmill (laaaaame)
My knowledge of Boston is still so minimal that I have no idea where that is, but it certainly looks nice, if nothing else.

Using a treadmill would be a nice step to dedicating myself, but I haven't been in any of the exercising facilities. I know nobody else is going to care, but considering how fit everybody seems to be, I'd feel nervous bumbling in.

NZNova

12 weeks into my diet, plain old kilojoule reduction and exercise. Still eating controlled amounts of fat and carbs, just carefully managing intake. Down 14.2kg (31.24 lbs) so far, 9.9kg to go. Feels fucking good already, looking forward to making it to my goal.

neojubei

abstaining from soda is pretty hard. I have these cravings at night for a coke or pepsi. I end up drinking two bottles of poland spring water just to kill that urge.

Horseticuffs

12 weeks into my diet, plain old kilojoule reduction and exercise. Still eating controlled amounts of fat and carbs, just carefully managing intake. Down 14.2kg (31.24 lbs) so far, 9.9kg to go. Feels fucking good already, looking forward to making it to my goal.

Damn, great work! Anything beyond the goal or do you just want to lose weight?

Darklord

Banned
New pics time as I have lost 120 pounds, first are pics of me at 364 pounds 2 years ago for comparison (with gaffer manutd4ever)

UiNFdl.jpg

N9oERl.jpg

kIv9Pl.png

This is me 3 weeks ago

M1Ildl.jpg

pMZdWl.jpg

Happy to be still making progress, its understandably so but ill keep at it. It makes me feel so good.

Oh DUDE. It's like night and day! You look way better with the shorter hair and trimmed goatee too. Damn man, congrats.

dralla

abstaining from soda is pretty hard. I have these cravings at night for a coke or pepsi. I end up drinking two bottles of poland spring water just to kill that urge.

A good way to get over sugar addiction/cravings is fat. Any time you get a craving for something sweet, eat fat, don't think about calories or anything, it's more important to break the addiction first, it'll make it easier in the long run. This is more of a general thing, not necessarily soda, keep chuggin' that water if it works for you. I'd get rid of all the soda in your house though, throw it out or give it away.

neojubei

A good way to get over sugar addiction/cravings is fat. Any time you get a craving for something sweet, eat fat, don't think about calories or anything, it's more important to break the addiction first, it'll make it easier in the long run. This is more of a general thing, not necessarily soda, keep chuggin' that water if it works for you. I'd get rid of all the soda in your house though, throw it out or give it away.

that would be possible but other people who live here also drink soda. I bought 3 24packs of poland spring water so hopefully that helps my cravings.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hey GAF , I am down to 15 Stone 13 lbs now (223 lbs) or 101 KGS

I am getting compliments at work about the weight loss, this is spuring me on to hit my target weight of around 180 pounds about 81.5 KGS, (i started at 261lbs/18stone 9lbs or 118 KGS)

if I can do this I will be really happy, I am still enjoying the gym and my new routine, getting over the hump in regards to food, I still get the odd craving but am keeping strong.

dralla

that would be possible but other people who live here also drink soda. I bought 3 24packs of poland spring water so hopefully that helps my cravings.

Diet soda is always an option if things get really bad. I know it won't help you break free from the cravings, but at least you're not sucking down liters of sugar. Hopefully the water works for you, GL!

NZNova

Damn, great work! Anything beyond the goal or do you just want to lose weight?

Thanks. And to answer your question, really I just want to lose weight. I've been lifting weights a bit to gain some muscle definition, but I just want to not be fat. I've been fat most of my life and it sucks, I want to experience life as a not-fat guy.

Horseticuffs

Thanks. And to answer your question, really I just want to lose weight. I've been lifting weights a bit to gain some muscle definition, but I just want to not be fat. I've been fat most of my life and it sucks, I want to experience life as a not-fat guy.

Hey, I'm right there with ya'. Same situation here. Best of luck.

What do you guys think of safe whey protein? My parents and sister are vegetarians and I can't cook meat while they are at home, I can bring stuff from outside but I don't trust the meat source. Right now I am planning to buy some nice soy free, whey from cows raised on a grass diet. I really need to increase my caloric intake.

Once or twice a week a cook up some bulk chicken/hamburger patties for the week but have gotten into the bad habit of waiting till I am out of food and staving to do so :p Then I gorge myself. :(

Gained some weight last week. Need to get a handle on it.

Also sometimes I have a hard time telling when my body is hungry, tired, or thirsty. When I am in the wrong mood I am eating for all three.

dralla

It works good, they're crunchy and salty, they're heat stable so you don't have to worry about oxidation. you could also use almond flour, I've made chicken cutlets with it and they came out good. Shredded coconut isn't really crunchy, but can also use it as "breading". I made this a couple of weeks ago..

jr9oQ36DVaXLP.jpg

Yea, putting my new whole foods employee discount to good use already :)

Also got some freebies today during orientation today :D

oh, and the salad bar we have, awesome, they have salmon as a choice for a meat! I should have no problem getting my O3's now :)

omgkitty

Man I haven't been in this thread in a while! Feels good to be back. I took (fell into) about a 3 month binge of eating like complete shit. I gained about 20 lbs back and felt like crap for most of it. Finally decided I was sick of it, and have now gone back to my old, low carb ways.

Well unfortunately, I'm having an issue. For about the last month of my binge, I was constantly having stomach pains and getting headaches. Well I figured out the headaches were from needing glasses and the stomach pain was due to my terrible diet. Along with the stomach pains came diarrhea at least several times a week.

When I started my diet last week I felt a lot better for a couple of days. The stomach pain had gone away. Well, last Wednesday I was eating some fruit, and all of the sudden I started to get really hot. I started sweating and had to stop eating it and go cool off. I figured it could have been a sugar rush of some sort, and thankfully, it hasn't come back.

Then last Thursday after I had gotten done playing soccer, I started to feel progressively worse over the course of my 30 minute drive home. My stomach started hurting badly and I had to lay down for a few minutes when I got home. It turns out I had diarrhea again, and after I ate, I felt better, but then it came back again. It wasn't as painful afterwards.

Since then I have had diarrhea off and on and what I would consider stomach cramps. No real pain, just my stomach kind of moving around and causing me to be uncomfortable. It almost feels like I just have a lot of gas in my stomach, but I don't seem to be getting rid of any of it. I figured it would have gone away by now, but it hasn't and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and everything was fine there. I've talked to a few people who believe it could just be my body readjusting and getting rid of all the "toxins" in my body. I don't know if I believe this or not seeing as I've done this diet twice before and have never had an issue.

The only thing new this time around is that I've started taking a multivitamin. I take it with my meal like it says I'm supposed to, and besides feeling kind of funny the first few days taking it, that's gone away. I can post what I've been eating if someone wants me to. I just don't know. I figured I'd go from feeling terrible for a month to finally feeling normal again, and that just hasn't been the case for me. If someone has any kind of clue, it would be greatly appreciated.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Well I've posted here once before I believe. At my worst I was somewhere around 400lbs. I updated my avatar with pictures taken today with me at 275. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting there! =)

Horseticuffs

Well I've posted here once before I believe. At my worst I was somewhere around 400lbs. I updated my avatar with pictures taken today with me at 275. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting there! =)

Congrats, man! That's quite a drop. Keep up the great work.

Tawpgun

If you live in a city or some place with good areas for running, I recommend getting lost on purpose.

Went for a run on my normal route along the Charles, but decided I wanted to check out Boston harbor. Had no idea where I went, but I ran a lot more than I would have otherwise and got to see some new stuff. It's like sight seeing and working out at the same time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How much exercise do you do? a lot of people have a carb refeed day (meaning low fats, but high carbs that day) once a week or every 10 days or whenever they feel their body needs it. in terms of a cheat day where you eat whatever, I would suggest not sticking to a once a week thing and do it according to the scale. once you've actually lost some weight then treat yourself. Set the goal at 5lbs maybe? Maybe 3lbs? But whenever you lose a certain amount you can then treat yourself. This may mean you only have a cheat day every 2 weeks or so, but trust me it's worth it. Doing a cheat day once a week can hinder fat loss if have a slow metabolic rate. If you're someone who has always been pretty skinny and can eat a lot without gaining weight, but just trying to cut to get ripped, then maybe you could get away with a cheat day once a week.

I'm on P90X/X2 again now (hybrid program) so I am exercising at least 5 times a week, usually 6 for an hour each time.

I guess I'm trying to decide what to do. Can I lose weight doing very low carb during the week, and eating somewhat normal on weekends? Weekdays are super easy for me to eat low carb since I do quick meals at work and a quick dinner after my work out. Weekends I like to have some drinks on occasion and generally will eat out once or twice (generally sub sandwiches, not McDonalds).

This weekend I found some super low carb taco shells though, and tacos are something I could eat whenever. That may help keep my weekends more low carb. Sometimes I can't avoid eating out though, and when I do I hate ordering something I don't really want just to eat healthy (although I do try to pick from the healthy menu options).

I guess, tl;dr, will super low carb (under 20g) still work if I do it 5 out of the 7 days a week, with 6 days per week exercising? Or is that unhealthy?

If you live in a city or some place with good areas for running, I recommend getting lost on purpose.

Went for a run on my normal route along the Charles, but decided I wanted to check out Boston harbor. Had no idea where I went, but I ran a lot more than I would have otherwise and got to see some new stuff. It's like sight seeing and working out at the same time.

I always found that part a bit fascinating about living in the big city. When I visited DC and San Francisco there were bikers or runners everywhere. It seemed especially nice in SF where people were jogging by the bay, even late at night. It'd be nice to have that experience as well, but I live in the small city finding good places to jog outside of tracks and parks are very limited.

As for me, I'm over half way through my 13 week cut now. I've lost a total of 21 pounds in the past 7 weeks. Although I have to admit I dropped 6 in the first week very quickly because I was carrying a lot of water weight. The funny thing is even though I've made so much progress and haven't stalled once yet. Instead of feeling more excited and motivated, I'm actually growing more tired of it all. I'm seeing definition in my body that I've never seen before, yet despite that I just want to stop dieting so strictly and enjoy all the pizzas, burgers, chocolates, and all other sorts of junk food that I've been missing out on the past 7 weeks lol.

But I've made so much progress that I won't stop now. I just had to admit I'm so ready for this to be over already because I have some plans to eat certain stuff and at certain places once I'm finished. That doesn't mean I'm not going to maintain what I've gained. I plan on doing that, I just want to enjoy some of the luxuries of life again, just have to be careful about portions and eat in moderation.

Weighed in at an even 224 lbs today. Intermittent fasting is the real deal, although it makes grocery shopping a chore when you share a refrigerator with 3 roommates (have to make frequent trips).

Me from the first week of April on vacation.

Me after my first official half marathon this weekend.

I peg the loss at 30 lbs. Hit a flat 200 at the gym the other day which was my goal weight. It was a secondary goal though as I was just going for improved fitness with weight loss being a side effect.

I've picked up running and just made healthier food choices. The biggest is giving up pop. Sweet, glorious Dr. Pepper is no more. I run about 25 miles a week and hit the gym twice per week.

Top Bottom