• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Sup guys, exercising well, was ill for a bit but now I'm back on it, still a little chesty so I'm limiting myself to two mile runs as any further my chest packs in every morning.. Any advice with helping stop that? Or does it just have to gradually improve, ex smoker stopped about a month ago

Seriously GAF, why do you ignore me?

i didn't want to read like an asshole :)

Btw, I tried carrots but I didn't like them and I almost threw up

slice a cucumber and dip in hummus. It's best with sun dried tomato flavors. sometimes I get lemon juice and that Lucas chili powder mix and sprinkle that on cucumbers. granola is pretty cheap. celery sticks and chocolate peanut butter?

If I had tasty, sweet health bars laying around, I'm not sure I could control myself. Ive had that problem with protein bars and protein shakes in the past. I start to crave something sweet and before you know it I've finished off a whole box or 4+ shakes in two days. For me, I cant have that stuff around.

In other news, I can tell a big difference in how my shirts fit already. I don't plan on doing another weight-in for at least one more week but it feels good to see progress in areas other than a number on a scale.

daripad

slice a cucumber and dip in hummus. It's best with sun dried tomato flavors. sometimes I get lemon juice and that Lucas chili powder mix and sprinkle that on cucumbers. granola is pretty cheap. celery sticks and chocolate peanut butter?

Certain fruits are better than others in terms of sugar content and how they affect your appetite. I think berries are considered to be some of the best. Maybe try small amounts of nuts or natural peanut butter, or celery with some kind of dressing or hummus? That could provide a satisfying crunchy taste. I don't like peanut butter much, but there was a time where I regularly ate apples with natural peanut butter. Their contrasting tastes complement each other well.

Raw almonds, or those Quest Bars above.

Thanks guys, I will try everything

Well I started a couple weeks ago by adding exercise and limiting carbs (no breads, sweats, pasta, etc.) but my scale was dead and to tell you the truth I didn't truly want to see my weight. Past two weeks have gone good and I feel better.. But, I got a new scale today and it read 178lbs, where I figured I was originally starting. Well one of two things happened; (a) I was bigger and weighed more than I originally thought or (b) I haven't lost any weight. O well I'm not going to get discouraged and instead I'm going to kick it up a notch by truly keeping a diet log (myfitnesspal) and further restricting my diet.. Wish me luck!
I started in February like you, but when you start being more controlled it really improves. Maybe try other kinds of excersice, eat more vegetables.

Well I started a couple weeks ago by adding exercise and limiting carbs (no breads, sweats, pasta, etc.) but my scale was dead and to tell you the truth I didn't truly want to see my weight. Past two weeks have gone good and I feel better.. But, I got a new scale today and it read 178lbs, where I figured I was originally starting. Well one of two things happened; (a) I was bigger and weighed more than I originally thought or (b) I haven't lost any weight. O well I'm not going to get discouraged and instead I'm going to kick it up a notch by truly keeping a diet log (myfitnesspal) and further restricting my diet.. Wish me luck!

Hackbert

my scale keeps steadily climbing back towards the 90kg... but thats not Fat.. *wohoo*
but sadly i keep getting the midnight munchies lately again. Damn it.

CrankyJay

Banned

Could be any number of things...but, you feel better. It's possible your body composition is changing (adding some muscle, losing some fat), or you're retaining water. Don't let it discourage you.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and getting lots of sleep...being well rested is vital to weight loss.

Could be any number of things...but, you feel better. It's possible your body composition is changing (adding some muscle, losing some fat), or you're retaining water. Don't let it discourage you.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and getting lots of sleep...being well rested is vital to weight loss.

Yeah I guess without knowing exactly where I started its useless to measure myself at this point. For all I know I could have been up to 185, which would have made 178 in two weeks a huge success. Actually I’m almost certain it’s working. I remember my work pants being tighter and harder to put on. Now it’s easier to fit in them (I think). Sleep is tough because I have a 9 month old baby who wakes up between 4-5 AM every morning. He goes back to sleep buts it’s hard for me to do the same once I wake up.

Yeah I guess without knowing exactly where I started its useless to measure myself at this point. For all I know I could have been up to 185, which would have made 178 in two weeks a huge success. Actually I’m almost certain it’s working. I remember my work pants being tighter and harder to put on. Now it’s easier to fit in them (I think). Sleep is tough because I have a 9 month old baby who wakes up between 4-5 AM every morning. He goes back to sleep buts it’s hard for me to do the same once I wake up.

just say you were 200 and let's go with that. amazing weight loss so far ;P

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy crap aspartame makes me hungry. I dumped it on 1 Jan but two weeks ago had a slight accident of drinking several cans of Coke Zero a week, craved more the next week and was super hungry too.

Dumped it again this week for San Pellegrino, no cravings or hunger.

Aspartame is truly work of the devil.

Speaking of God-tier Quest bar flavors, the new chocolate chip cookie dough bars are flippin' amazing. They really do taste almost exactly like chocolate chip cookie dough. In fact, I think they might be a bit too good. I mean, I know they're fairly healthy as far as protein bars go, but I don't think I've ever ripped through a box of quest bars quite that fast before...

Is it a flavor that has artificial sweetener?

mkenyon

Banned
Holy crap aspartame makes me hungry. I dumped it on 1 Jan but two weeks ago had a slight accident of drinking several cans of Coke Zero a week, craved more the next week and was super hungry too.

Dumped it again this week for San Pellegrino, no cravings or hunger.

Aspartame is truly work of the devil.
You should try regular water. It's really good!

Last of the Quest bars tried this morning. I'd put the Brownie one below the rest in the same category, but it's still pretty good. Surprised I liked it with my general distaste of chocolate nutrition bars. Mixed Berry was bleh.

mkenyon's Quest Bar Ranking

God Tier:
Banana Nut Muffin
Peanut Butter Supreme​

I'd eat that again:
PB&J
Cinnamon Roll
Coconut Cashew
Chocolate Brownie​

Would eat if it was the only one left:
Strawberry Cheesecake
Mixed Berry​

Get it the fuck away from me:
Lemon Cream Pie
Chocolate Peanut Butter​

Ate a whole pizza today. Guess I failed

It happens.

I have been eating like total crap for about a month now. Luckily I haven't gained any weight (no doubt partially due to my new job which has me constantly on my feet) and have been plateaued at 223lbs for a while.

Hopefully I can get back on the wagon to lose the last 20 lbs to get to my goal weight.

Rookje

So I really want to get into god tier shape this summer. At one point I lost ~60 lbs (210 -> 150) @ 5'9. I got down to ~140ish at one point doing keto. But I hated how I looked, which was "skinny fat" ish. I'm now ~155 but probably have 5 lbs of too much fat on myself at least. I also have a little bit of excess skin. My stomach has never been "tight" before, and I'm not sure it can be... considering the weight loss. I want to get as close as I can this summer though.

I've never really incorporated running into my routine at all. I always thought running was bad for you (your knees, eating muscle etc.). I lost all of my weight doing weight training, walking and dieting. Do you think I should give running a go?

My biggest problem is I have a minor case of binge eating disorder. I got it from doing CKD for a while (since it has a binge component). Whenever I eat a little bit of refined carbs, it awakens the monster and I just can't stop. Before you know it I probably consumed 10K calories within an hour and a half. I've gotten it mostly under control lately, but going out on weekends and going to parties I drink alcohol and party food which I think hampers my results a lot.

Another option is I could try doing Insanity. I've done Crossfit before and I can't imagine its that much harder than that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
when would I know when it's not water weight?

I would say now. Any weight you lose on a week to week or month to month basis probably won't be water weight. That is unless your diet changes drastically.

I went away for a week and ate like complete shit. When I came back I lost like 10lbs in 2 weeks. That wasn't all fat, it was mostly water. If you can roughly count calories and know your deficit per week, you can get a good idea of how much fat you're burning vs water.

Like right now I'm eating about 2500 calories a day. So on my rest days I'm at about a 700 calorie deficit per day. If at the end of the week I weigh myself and see I've lost like 3lbs, I'll know it was probably water or I was backed up with shit the week before. If your diet is consistent you usually don't have to worry about water weight. That's based on my experiences though.

Rookje, if I were you, I'd start lifting weights.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So it was kind of weird last night. Since my ex and I split up we have tried to be amicable and yesterday we took our kids to the park and out shopping together.

It was a pleasant enough day with no fighting or anything until she brought up going to a restaurant for dinner. I said that was cool and all but that they'd have to excuse me for not eating since my remaining calorie allotment was pretty low and I'm not a big fan of buffets to begin with.

So she flips out a and goes on this rant about how some people aren't meant to be skinny and that it didn't look good on me anyways and all that jazz.

I just don't understand why someone would say something so unprovoked and cruel as that. I've been nothing but supportive in her efforts to lose weight. As the mother of my kids I've really encouraged her efforts to improve her health.

However she may feel about my looks is, I'm sure, colored by years of a really crappy marriage. What struck me as silly though was the idea of some people not being meant to be thin. I'm sure it was way more natural when I weighed almost 400 pounds.

Anyways, this is the first time anyone had expressed anything less than total support and positivity regarding my weight loss and it kind of just threw me for a loop.

GatorBait

So it was kind of weird last night. Since my ex and I split up we have tried to be amicable and yesterday we took our kids to the park and out shopping together.

It was a pleasant enough day with no fighting or anything until she brought up going to a restaurant for dinner. I said that was cool and all but that they'd have to excuse me for not eating since my remaining calorie allotment was pretty low and I'm not a big fan of buffets to begin with.

So she flips out a and goes on this rant about how some people aren't meant to be skinny and that it didn't look good on me anyways and all that jazz.

I just don't understand why someone would say something so unprovoked and cruel as that. I've been nothing but supportive in her efforts to lose weight. As the mother of my kids I've really encouraged her efforts to improve her health.

However she may feel about my looks is, I'm sure, colored by years of a really crappy marriage. What struck me as silly though was the idea of some people not being meant to be thin. I'm sure it was way more natural when I weighed almost 400 pounds.

Anyways, this is the first time anyone had expressed anything less than total support and positivity regarding my weight loss and it kind of just threw me for a loop.

Barring legitimate medical concerns (including eating disorders), I've found it is best to ignore other people's opinion on where they think your weight should be - especially family. Your best bet is to strive for the weight that you feel most comfortable, healthy and happy at. I've even heard of some people say they don't want their partner to be in better shape than they are because it would make them feel bad about their self; how fucked up is that? People can get really insecure and self-defensive when it comes to this kind of stuff (and it's not just health/fitness that does this; it can be money, success of nearly any kind, etc.).

A lot of people feel self-conscious about their own health/fitness when people around them are making the choice to be healthy. My mom does something similar; the first words out of her mouth whenever I say I'm working on losing weight is "just don't lose too much weight", whatever that means. She'll also say things like, "I like guys with some meat on their bones more than skinny guys", of course, she has only made those comments when she was overweight (her and my dad fluctuate between being in shape and mildly overweight), but I can say that I think my parents look younger/healthier/happier when they are in shape.

Personally, between the ages of 18 and 25, my weight ranged between 150 lbs and 213 lbs, so I know what I look like and how I feel at a pretty wide range of weights. So, when people give me their opinion on what they speculate I may look like at a certain weight, I ignore them since I have first-hand experience of actually being at that weight in the past.

So I really want to get into god tier shape this summer. At one point I lost ~60 lbs (210 -> 150) @ 5'9. I got down to ~140ish at one point doing keto. But I hated how I looked, which was "skinny fat" ish. I'm now ~155 but probably have 5 lbs of too much fat on myself at least. I also have a little bit of excess skin. My stomach has never been "tight" before, and I'm not sure it can be... considering the weight loss. I want to get as close as I can this summer though.

I've never really incorporated running into my routine at all. I always thought running was bad for you (your knees, eating muscle etc.). I lost all of my weight doing weight training, walking and dieting. Do you think I should give running a go?

You sound like you may have a similar body type as me (I'm also 5'9"). If you have gotten down to <150 lbs and still felt like you were skinny-fat, you most likely need to make positive changes to your body composition through putting on some muscle. When you are that low of a weight, putting on 5 lbs of muscle can be the difference between skinny-fat and lean/fit.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Full progression pics:

Though I love my wife, and she does help push me as of late (collegiate level soccer player, srs athlete), biggest motivator is right here:

This is what she begins to do if I'm 5 minutes late for the run.

what size jeans were you before and now?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well for some reason I've lost 4 pounds in two weeks. I've been eating worse (What I'm feeling like), but not overeating I guess?
Going to see if the loss sticks and try to drink a bit more water since I'm betting at least half of it is water weight, but I've been getting more sleep and been more active with work and I started taking some things last week, so I guess I'll find out.

On that topic does anyone here take anything? I've always shied away from supplements and drugs in general, but I'd thought I would give it a shot.

• Fish Oil
  • Fiber Caps
  • Daily Vitamin
  • Vitamin D3
  • Magnesium Citrate
  • Creatine Monohydrate
  • Vitamin C

It indirectly makes her look bad and she took it too hard. It's actually not that uncommon for close people to brush off the weight loss of others.
Too bad she had that reaction. It's a negative mindset.

Gator laid it out very nicely.

Toki767

I take the One A Day vitamins just to make sure I get in the things I may miss.

Also 4 pounds could just be water weight. But 4 pounds is still 4 pounds. Good job!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I take the One A Day vitamins just to make sure I get in the things I may miss.

Also 4 pounds could just be water weight. But 4 pounds is still 4 pounds. Good job!
Yeah, but I usually feel like crap if that is the case, so I'm hopeful for a 2lb drop :p

tumblr_luuesgGFcu1qbvaudo1_500.gif

When people are stuck in their unhealthy ways but see others improving, it can lead to jealousy/resentment. Keep fighting the good fight

In other news, this weekend was pretty rough. My off day got out of control with the Reese's Easter eggs. Went heavy on the mashed potatoes too. Got back on track Sunday, looking forward to this weeks weather and some long walks in the sunshine

MooseKing

Banned
I would also suggest people in this thread look into picking up some digestive enzymes once you reach your goal weight. Being over-weight and obese can completely destroy many of the enzymes and other bacteria beneficial for digestion. Meaning it becomes harder to absorb your food, and takes longer to fully digest each meal. You only need to take them for 4-8 weeks and it should replenish and repair any damage that was done.

In terms of Fish oils, they are great, but don't do much unless you take a pretty good brand. Always look for high EPA and DHA levels in your fish oils. Those essential fatty acids are what makes taking Fish Oil good for you. Without them, or with low levels, it really doesn't do much at all. I personally take Now Super Omega EPA. it contains 750mg of EPA and 540 MG of DHA per two softgels, I take four per day, two in the morning, two in the afternoon.

A good multi-vitamin can also go a long way to helping your body during weight loss. Both in providing vitamins and minerals you need to keep bodily functions continuing, and helping to repair damage a neglectful diet can lead to.

Calcium - Don't forget calcium. Many people jump on Ketogenic or low-carb diets and eat only meat and eggs. Some eat cheese maybe once a day. Many people don't realize they are neglecting Calcium, which is extremely important. If you do buy a Calcium product, and are taking a multi-vitamin, make sure your calcium supplement does not continue huge amounts of Vitamin D3 or Zinc. Both can become problems in abundance. For example, my multi-vitamin provides 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day, and 15 MG of Zinc. Both 100 or more percent of your daily intake. Most calcium products also include these in high amounts. Meaning I could potentially be getting to much. Zinc, for example, is fantastic for the male body, but in amounts of 100mg or more, could cause many health problems, and some studies even link it to prostate cancer. Be mindful of all these things.

There are a number of really good supplement companies on the market, providing top quality products. You need to buy supplements from good companies because they will make sure only the purest forms of what they are selling are used. I personally only use Optimum Nutrition, and Now products. Only will I stray from them if they do not produce what I am looking for, or if I am reaching for a certain goal and need something tailored to me (like Animal Pak's etc..).

MooseKing

Banned
Is it possible to lose 30lbs in 3-4 months?

I am helping my mom lose weight right now. She is in her 60's with COPD, Diabetes, Cancer (free, but not declared until the fifth year), and various other issues. She was 246 in the middle of January, she is 216.4 now. If she can do it, so can you.

i-Lo

I am helping my mom lose weight right now. She is in her 60's with COPD, Diabetes, Cancer (free, but not declared until the fifth year), and various other issues. She was 246 in the middle of January, she is 216.4 now. If she can do it, so can you.

I assume both proper exercise and regulated diet are a part of the procedure.

I used to go gym till last year and while I did make progress, I hit the plateau rather really fast.

What is percentage of time spent between muscle and cardio related exercises?

Also, good luck to your mom.

Top Bottom