• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Is it weird I have a collection of goal clothes I want to wear?

I would honestly recommend not going to the gym five times a week. You are setting yourself up for burnout. Make sure you're operating at a nice calorie deficit by diet alone and think of going to the gym three times a week as a nice bonus on top of it.

Going to the gym helps me get out of the house for while.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
First day of BMI < 30 in nearly 5 years. I know it's not the best measure because I have muscle and a robust bone structure and whatnot, but nevertheless it's a sign off me moving into a more healthy, sustainable territory.

That's awesome, man. Keep up the good work! I know I long for the day when I'll merely be an overweight bastard as opposed to an obese bastard!

God, is there an uglier word in the English language than "Obese"?

Horseticuffs

Morbidly obese

lol As soon as I posted that the same thought occurred to me! It makes me imagine that, not only are you a big fatass, but you are wearing black and writing shitty poetry about death.

Which, admittedly, was where I was at at one point in my life :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's awesome, man. Keep up the good work! I know I long for the day when I'll merely be an overweight bastard as opposed to an obese bastard!

God, is there an uglier word in the English language than "Obese"?

Thanks! I didn't even think I cared about the labels or BMI, but now that I got there there is something nice in losing that self-earned label and becoming just a regularly slightly chubby guy. Haha, yep morbidly obese is definitely the worst word.

You guys probably don't remember me but I posted my weight loss results back in October showing myself going from 169 to 144(I'm 5'7/170cm btw). Since then I've gained back some weight, what might surprise you guys is that I've been doing a lot of it on purpose. My GF and I are getting married and she's been overweight most of her life. She's away at college though. But when she finishes up after this semester she wants to focus on this and finally have a figure she can be proud of. I told her I'll gain back some weight and do it with her. Of course she's against it but she can't do anything about it as she isn't here with me. So I thought maybe the best thing is that instead of me only coaching her. I'll be with her every step of the way eating the same stuff she's eating and suffering from the severe lack of tasty junk food lol. Probably a very stupid idea and completely unnecessary but I want to do it this way so hopefully it doesn't backfire on me.

Log4Girlz

You guys probably don't remember me but I posted my weight loss results back in October showing myself going from 169 to 144(I'm 5'7/170cm btw). Since then I've gained back some weight, what might surprise you guys is that I've been doing a lot of it on purpose. My GF and I are getting married and she's been overweight most of her life. She's away at college though. But when she finishes up after this semester she wants to focus on this and finally have a figure she can be proud of. I told her I'll gain back some weight and do it with her. Of course she's against it but she can't do anything about it as she isn't here with me. So I thought maybe the best thing is that instead of me only coaching her. I'll be with her every step of the way eating the same stuff she's eating and suffering from the severe lack of tasty junk food lol. Probably a very stupid idea and completely unnecessary but I want to do it this way so hopefully it doesn't backfire on me.

Are you gaining weight by eating rice? I heard carbs are bad for you.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Can someone explain ketosis to me or point me to an article that explains it? I read the Wikipedia page and some article that ended up as a sales pitch for some lame book. I don't think I really understand it yet.

I'm wondering if my diet leads to being into a state of ketosis. I used to eat bread in the morning and during lunch, and rice/pasta/potatoes/wraps at dinner. I've cut out bread in the morning, halved my portions during lunch (now 3 slices, together with the cheese/meat I put on it about 500 calories) and stopped eating grains at dinner; only veggies (usually 300 gram) and meat/fish/poultry/eggs (usually 100-150 gram). Would this be considered a ketogenic diet?

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, I never took a before picture, but I wanted to do a comparison tonight to get a tangible indication of my progress.

The clothes in the back are what I was wearing that were tight in September. The clothes on top are what I'm comfortable in now without being tight. I was kind of surprised to see the size difference in shirts since I mainly notice the progress in my waistline and belt.

You got taller too? lol

mkenyon

Banned
I actually had to go a size up on my inseam because I'm now wearing pants on my hip bones as opposed to a bit lower to squeeze into whatever size I had before.

44/30 to 32/32

Is it weird I have a collection of goal clothes I want to wear?

Nope. I do this. Its a lot easier to really measure your progress this way, I feel. Its a great feeling to try it on every few weeks until it actually just fits. At which point its one of the best feelings of accomplishments!

CrankyJay

Banned
Hah, it does look kind of goofy. Unfortunately, when buying 44 waist pants sometimes you have to take the length thats available. Those were short, but its not too bad with work boots on.

Just having fun.

Honestly though, congrats on the weight loss and keep up the great work. I bet you feel great.

neojubei

Nope. I do this. Its a lot easier to really measure your progress this way, I feel. Its a great feeling to try it on every few weeks until it actually just fits. At which point its one of the best feelings of accomplishments!

Good to see someone else does this. I have a size 36 unbranded jeans in my closet waiting for me to lose the weight.

mkenyon

Banned
Which Quest bars are the best?

Is $22 for a box of these a decent price? Looking to order on Amazon.

I have to rotate the types of bars I'm eating as I get just straight up burnt out. I use them as my primary source of calories for breakfast/lunch/afternoon.

Which Quest bars are the best?

Is $22 for a box of these a decent price? Looking to order on Amazon.

I have to rotate the types of bars I'm eating as I get just straight up burnt out. I use them as my primary source of calories for breakfast/lunch/afternoon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough... Holy shit.

EdmondD

I just want to thank everyone in this thread. You have been a great inspiration to me. I have lost about 70 pounds and still have a ways to go but it feels great to have made such progress. Thank you.

neojubei

I just want to thank everyone in this thread. You have been a great inspiration to me. I have lost about 70 pounds and still have a ways to go but it feels great to have made such progress. Thank you.

congrats. I hope i am able to post that i lost 70lbs too. Congrats again.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Congrats man, 70lbs is incredible, that has taken all kinds of discipline. This thread is the best thing to keep me going too.

mkenyon

Banned
Ended up ordering a variety pack of the Quest Bars. I'll report back on the different flavors.
Now *you* are the inspiration!

Ixian

Ended up ordering a variety pack of the Quest Bars. I'll report back on the different flavors.!
This one? I don't see the full list but judging by the picture it looks like it includes chocolate chip cookie dough, yay. :eek:

I've always been a big proponent of microwaving them for ten seconds before eating. Even better if you have it with some coffee or something!

CrankyJay

Banned
Ended up ordering a variety pack of the Quest Bars. I'll report back on the different flavors.

Now *you* are the inspiration!

This one? I don't see the full list but judging by the picture it looks like it includes chocolate chip cookie dough, yay. :eek:

I've always been a big proponent of microwaving them for ten seconds before eating. Even better if you have it with some coffee or something!

I got the 12 pack sampler from Amazon and it didn't include chocolate chip cookie dough...

Off the top of my head:

Chocolate Brownie
Peanut Butter Supreme
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Vanilla Almond Crunch
Cinnamon Roll
PB&J
Lemon Cream Pie
Strawberry Cheesecake
Mixed Berry Bliss
Coconut Cashew
Apple Pie
Banana Nut Muffin

6 from the line that contains sugar alcohols and 6 from the line that doesn't.

PB&J was my favorite I think, followed by Peanut Butter Supreme

Okay someone explain to me how the fuck a serving of shrimp has a gram of dietary fiber yet above it the carbohydrate part above it it says 0 carbs.

Oh well, still have about 5-10 lbs left to lose (I'm currently fluctuating between 184 and 188).

mkenyon

Banned

From the man who introduced me to brownie brittle, your food advice is as good as gold.

dralla

I got the 12 pack sampler from Amazon and it didn't include chocolate chip cookie dough...

Off the top of my head:

Chocolate Brownie
Peanut Butter Supreme
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Vanilla Almond Crunch
Cinnamon Roll
PB&J
Lemon Cream Pie
Strawberry Cheesecake
Mixed Berry Bliss
Coconut Cashew
Apple Pie
Banana Nut Muffin

6 from the line that contains sugar alcohols and 6 from the line that doesn't.

PB&J was my favorite I think, followed by Peanut Butter Supreme
If PB&J is your fav, here you go, only $10 a box, only PB&J flavor
http://www.thought-fuelnutrition.com/Quest-Bar-Peanut-Butter-Jelly/dp/B006AR0XCW?field_availability=-1&field_browse=5266156011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Quest+Bar+Peanut+Butter+Jelly&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cartist-bin%2Cauthor-bin&searchNodeID=5266156011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

I haven't had the 2 news ones yet, but Brownie is my favorite, Berry Bliss is my least favorite. Strawberry is also really friggin' good. But I think the PB Cups are better than the bars in taste and nutrition.

I have never actually tried a protein bar. They always scared me since I am not sure I could just limit myself to one and they get kind of expensive. Constantly seeing people rave about Quest bars makes me want to try them though.

May order one pack just to see how it goes.

mkenyon

Banned
For weekdays, I do bar + juice/smoothie (not trash stuff, but whole mastecated fruit) in the AM, bar 30 min before run (11:30-12:00ish), and then another at 3pm. ~$6 for 2/3 of my day is p'good.

I like the bars as it's a perfect ration of food (assuming 200-300 calories), and they're super quick and easy. I can eat them at my desk which gives me enough time to go for a 20-40 min run.

CrankyJay

Banned
If PB&J is your fav, here you go, only $10 a box, only PB&J flavor
http://www.thought-fuelnutrition.com/Quest-Bar-Peanut-Butter-Jelly/dp/B006AR0XCW?field_availability=-1&field_browse=5266156011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Quest+Bar+Peanut+Butter+Jelly&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cartist-bin%2Cauthor-bin&searchNodeID=5266156011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

I haven't had the 2 news ones yet, but Brownie is my favorite, Berry Bliss is my least favorite. Strawberry is also really friggin' good. But I think the PB Cups are better than the bars in taste and nutrition.

Haha, awesome. I just got 2 boxes. Thanks.

edit: Wonder why they are so cheap...expired? Different formula? Overstock?

edit 2: WTF, they just canceled my order due to being out of stock

dralla

Haha, awesome. I just got 2 boxes. Thanks.

edit: Wonder why they are so cheap...expired? Different formula? Overstock?

edit 2: WTF, they just canceled my order due to being out of stock

I used to get them from there, no problems. Maybe they're just out of stock ATM

Schlep

Going way faster than I thought. Try to keep my carb intake below 80g. I have no idea how anyone can do below 20g on a regular basis.
Yeah, keeping to 50-100 is usually doable, but it feels like people who do less than that don't live in the real world. I think it's great they can do it, just seems very difficult to sustain especially when bringing SOs, family, and friends into the mix.

It sounds borderline unhealthy long term (not trying to criticize anyone in the thread).

A bulk of my initial weight loss happened when I was eating a lot of footlong veggie subs from subway. Those alone have around 90g of carbs, that didn't include whatever else I was eating that day. I stay away from bread this time around but you don't need to be that strict to see results.

Messi

A while back I asked in a different thread for help getting back on track losing weight, Can Crusher got in contact and gave me some really helpful advice and i've been tracking my weight for a month now. I am not sure if any of your guys even care but here is how I am going:

March 1st : 254 pounds
March 8th : 252 pounds
March 15th : 250 pounds
March 22nd : 249 pounds

I took a before picture that i'll upload when things look a bit more improved.

Since I started I have also learned how to cook a lot of good nice food. Realizing that food is much nicer when you cook it yourself and know that it is good for you. You should know that before this the most I could make was a sandwich or beans on toast.

I feel I should bold this because it means a lot to me, I have not had a Monster energy drink in 22 days. The urges have started to go away and I have stopped feeling like I need it to feel awake. Horrible Horrible stuff. I have only had a can of soda once each week as a cheat but I am cutting that out and replacing the cheat with something I like eating. Fuck soda.

Things are going slowly but well. I have a much more positive outlook on life since I started eating healthily again and running again. This has also coincided with a promotion in work for the first time, a lot more responsibility and people finally having some faith in me to be more than just the bottom rung employee. I have also developed faith in myself and my abilities and getting over the fear of what people might think if I don't know how to do my new work right off the bat. Learning quickly.

Its also given me more confidence. Since I started this again I have been putting myself out there more in work and socially trying to advance myself and this is coming along nicely. I am trying to shed the social anxiety and become a much more confident person.

--

Maybe some of you know me from this thread, I have been around for a good while and about 3 years ago now. I started losing weight and up until last June I had lost 136 pounds. I was 380 pounds in the start but in june I put on about 10-15 pounds and I have been struggling since to get the motivation to lose it and get back on track. I got sick of feeling bad about myself and got advice. So here I am.

omgkitty

A while back I asked in a different thread for help getting back on track losing weight, Can Crusher got in contact and gave me some really helpful advice and i've been tracking my weight for a month now. I am not sure if any of your guys even care but here is how I am going:

March 1st : 254 pounds
March 8th : 252 pounds
March 15th : 250 pounds
March 22nd : 249 pounds

I took a before picture that i'll upload when things look a bit more improved.

Since I started I have also learned how to cook a lot of good nice food. Realizing that food is much nicer when you cook it yourself and know that it is good for you. You should know that before this the most I could make was a sandwich or beans on toast.

I feel I should bold this because it means a lot to me, I have not had a Monster energy drink in 22 days. The urges have started to go away and I have stopped feeling like I need it to feel awake. Horrible Horrible stuff. I have only had a can of soda once each week as a cheat but I am cutting that out and replacing the cheat with something I like eating. Fuck soda.

Things are going slowly but well. I have a much more positive outlook on life since I started eating healthily again and running again. This has also coincided with a promotion in work for the first time, a lot more responsibility and people finally having some faith in me to be more than just the bottom rung employee. I have also developed faith in myself and my abilities and getting over the fear of what people might think if I don't know how to do my new work right off the bat. Learning quickly.

Its also given me more confidence. Since I started this again I have been putting myself out there more in work and socially trying to advance myself and this is coming along nicely. I am trying to shed the social anxiety and become a much more confident person.

--

Maybe some of you know me from this thread, I have been around for a good while and about 3 years ago now. I started losing weight and up until last June I had lost 136 pounds. I was 380 pounds in the start but in june I put on about 10-15 pounds and I have been struggling since to get the motivation to lose it and get back on track. I got sick of feeling bad about myself and got advice. So here I am.

Keep going Messi! You were one of my main motivations for trying to lose weight. We were around the same height and weight, and after seeing that you could do it, it made me feel better about what I was doing. All you have to do is believe you can do it, and even if you don't believe, just do it anyways :D

BIGWORM

Weight Watchers is overpriced and not necessary. Use a calorie-counting app like Myfitnesspal to count the calories for you, watch carb intake as well, and you should be golden.

Side note: Scrambled eggs and turkey bacon for dinner. YISS!

Horseticuffs

I'm legit pissed that my employer won't subsidize a gym membership. We're self-insured too, so encouraging people to go to the gym would benefit them just as much.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

BIGWORM

My employer subsidizes a gym membership. The gym I go to is on one of my employer's campuses, yay. $28/month (payroll deduct, even) for everything you'd want in a gym minus a sauna (miss my sauna =( ). My employer is looking into a district-wide survey asking people if they'd be interested in bring Weight Watchers on board. I wonder if I could cheat and say I've been using Weight Watchers to lose the 100+ pounds I already have, lol.

Piecake

My employer subsidizes a gym membership. The gym I go to is on one of my employer's campuses, yay. $28/month (payroll deduct, even) for everything you'd want in a gym minus a sauna (miss my sauna =( ). My employer is looking into a district-wide survey asking people if they'd be interested in bring Weight Watchers on board. I wonder if I could cheat and say I've been using Weight Watchers to lose the 100+ pounds I already have, lol.

probably have to provide proof (receipt)

My company gives out 200 bucks to spend on exercise related expenses. shoes and clothes count so its pretty good

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
How do you guys like to have your chicken? I've been messing around with different ways to make chicken and just can't seem to get that right combination for what I like.

My preferred, end-all-be-all way is crispy chicken strips, but gluten-free breading tastes like horse shit and the calories add up too fast with that and having to dip it in egg whites or whatever (I always eat 1.5lbs of chicken when I have it).

What's your tastiest method of having chicken?

Ixian

I grill my chicken and have it with Frank's Hot Sauce plus some salsa. That being said, after eating chicken almost every night for the past seven months I'm mixing things up and having a low carb pizza for dinner instead.

dralla

How do you guys like to have your chicken? I've been messing around with different ways to make chicken and just can't seem to get that right combination for what I like.

My preferred, end-all-be-all way is crispy chicken strips, but gluten-free breading tastes like horse shit and the calories add up too fast with that and having to dip it in egg whites or whatever (I always eat 1.5lbs of chicken when I have it).

What's your tastiest method of having chicken?

Shredded coconut makes surprisingly awesome breading. Ground up pork rinds though, sounds like what you're looking for. Almond meal is another. Do not use coconut flour, shit sucks for breading of any kind, good for baking though.

I like it all ways though, baked, fried, grilled..whatever. I had some the other night, baked in garlic/butter/lemon, delicious.

Top Bottom