• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

DBT85

Post it up in IronGAF. They'll help you with cooking up tender chicken.

I assume you mean the fitness thread of intermittent farting?

@DBT85
Is it frozen or just refrigerated? Whenever I get chicken like that it's frozen, I just add a bit of water along with it in a bowel and microwave it, or sprinkle water over it and stick it in the oven. I'm not really qualified with cooking, though, so you may want some other input on the matter.

All fresh when I get it. It gets frozen once I get home as I can't consume 20-25 breasts in a week and frankly I need the space in the fridge lol.

Labrys

All fresh when I get it. It gets frozen once I get home as I can't consume 20-25 breasts in a week and frankly I need the space in the fridge lol.
Ah, okay. Freezing might be doing it, though. Maybe defrost + cook for a shorter time? Adding more water to the pan you're cooking it in also might help.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Alright, one week results from my boot camp are in. Here are the before and afters. So a week long camp with enormous amounts of exercise and lots of active recovery rest each day and strictly limited nutritionist designed 1500 kcal diet. I have never done so many burpees, push ups, mountain climbers and other bodyweight exercises in my life.

Weight: 232 -> 220 (-12 lbs)
Bust: 106 -> 107 (+1 cm)
Waist: 107 -> 100 (-7 cm)
Hips: 108 -> 108
Thigh: 56.5 -> 54.5 (-2 cm)
Arm: 36 -> 36

Naturally this is not something to try at home. We had trainers, sports physioterapheuts, doctors, massages and nutritionists available making sure we don't harm ourselves, and still a lot of people picked up all kinds of niggles because of the sheer volume of exercise. I was lucky not to, worst that happened to me was tripping over on gravel a fartlek sprint session and ending up with cuts all over me.

Pretty chuffed about the results because I believe I did not have much waterweight going in as I do lots of sports and fast in my regular life.

Also, finally broke to single digits with my kg weight - 99kg!

Hackbert

great work @ everyone. Reached the 165 lbs. started last january at 288.. feels nice. (6 feet 1 inch || 185 cm)
My summer routine is every 4 days a gym visit and every 2 days between a jog of about 4-5 kilometres... i am almost back to eating everything. noodles and rice are a no go. potatoes i just need sometimes.
mai13.jpg

yeah, my threadless package arrived

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Stomach is basically the last place fat will disappear from when losing weight. Don't be discouraged by it, it's like that for everyone.

Sarquiss_

Thanks!
What I used was mostly diet restrictions/changes, with cardio mixed in. My daily caloric allotment would be 1200-1400~ calories, going to 1500 on "cheat" days. I then would walk approx. 2 miles a day with my dogs, around the whole neighborhood.
I also wouldn't get discouraged with the stomach. It was the last thing on me to really go down, and I still have some of it. Just keep at it and you'll be fine :)

Thanks for the encouraging words. You don't know how much that means :)

I will keep it up.

peach

Some of my colleagues and I have started using the My Fitness Pal app. I have lost 7 pounds so far and it really hasn't seemed that hard to me... It's the first "plan" that has actually worked. The barcode scanner is amazing and the app really keeps me in check. We are also planning to start running 5Ks and I am on week 3 of the Couch 2 5k Program...

Just thought I would start posting here so I have some accountability and keep up my motivation.

BIGWORM

great work @ everyone. Reached the 165 lbs. started last january at 288.. feels nice. (6 feet 1 inch || 185 cm)
My summer routine is every 4 days a gym visit and every 2 days between a jog of about 4-5 kilometres... i am almost back to eating everything. noodles and rice are a no go. potatoes i just need sometimes.
yeah, my threadless package arrived

Along with caloric intake, everyone DEFINITELY need to watch carb intake. When I was still seeing a dietician, he said I should restrict myself to ~150g in carbs/day on active days (gym/walk/cardio), and 100g carbs/day for non active days.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Some truly inspiring stuff in this thread..I really do mean it.
Yeah it is. I hope I can do it.

I got really down this weekend so Monday morning I was feeling pretty bad so I went to dunkin dounuts and bought two glazed dounuts and a medium hot chocolate. That's a combined 840cal. Weird thing was I got sick from it and ended up drinking water throughout the day. I cannot believe I used to eat that every morning. Now it's just oatmeal and orange juice. I know I need to cut down on the orange juice.

I am back on the wagon to try to shed my last 20 lbs or so. Took a couple months of and managed to maintain my weight fairly easily which was nice, but I figure that if I went through the effort of losing over 100lbs..... I may as well lose ALL the weight while I am at it.

Getting back into low carb isn't as bad as I expected, and watching the water weight vanish is pleasant since it shows that I still managed to lose a few pounds (of actual weight) in my months off.

DBT85

Yeah it is. I hope I can do it.

I got really down this weekend so Monday morning I was feeling pretty bad so I went to dunkin dounuts and bought two glazed dounuts and a medium hot chocolate. That's a combined 840cal. Weird thing was I got sick from it and ended up drinking water throughout the day. I cannot believe I used to eat that every morning. Now it's just oatmeal and orange juice. I know I need to cut down on the orange juice.

I very nearly broke this morning. Got all dressed and ready to go to the shop to buy chocolate and other assorted junk. Only just managed to stop myself. Feels pathetic :(.

I very nearly broke this morning. Got all dressed and ready to go to the shop to buy chocolate and other assorted junk. Only just managed to stop myself. Feels pathetic :(.

Don't feel pathetic at all. Everyone battles this, particularly early on before the new way of eating becomes habit. Even if you do break it's no big deal - just learn from it, resolve not to do it again, and move on. You can do it!

why? You need to eliminate all desire and have total control over your urges to feel good about your diet? Fuck man you have some high expectations, cut yourself some slack.

My parents were in town this past weekend, the whole visit was just stressful. I got home Saturday night after they left and instinctively punched my info into the pizza hut website. I stopped myself and left it on other screen for a few moments to process what had just happened. I was angry/stressed and I only wanted to eat my emotions with a greasy pizza. I closed the window, ate some yogurt and went to bed. Felt a million times better the next day and was glad I made the right choice in a moment of weakness. You made the right choice, feel good about it dammit

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Feeling fucking defeated. Not sure what to do or where to go. This is the second time this has happened to me.

1. I am eating a low carb high fiber diet targeting around 2000 calories. I record all my food to make sure(MFP)
2. Working out 5-6 times a week. 45 minutes of cardio or 30 minutes of HIIT. Paired with 30 minutes of strength training
3. Also use a fitbit to track my walking calories

I'm 282.3 and cannot lose a single pound. Held steady here for 2 months(sometimes to the exact 10th of a pound). About a year and a half ago the same thing happened. I was running daily and recording everything I eat and my weight would not budge from 278 for 2 months.

I have had my thyroid tested and it seemed in the normal functioning range . Why in the hell can't i get away from 280? I'm 5 11. This is not a healthy weight for me. I don't want to be here any more but nothing seems to work. :-(

My plan is to talk to an endocrinologist within the next month. That's the only thing I can think of.

I just needed to vent. Put in all the hard work and get nothing.

Edit:
Maybe this is not the thread for this. If there is a better place please direct me there.

SeanR1221

Feeling fucking defeated. Not sure what to do or where to go. This is the second time this has happened to me.

1. I am eating a low carb high fiber diet targeting around 2000 calories. I record all my food to make sure
2. Working out 5-6 times a week. 45 minutes of cardio or 30 minutes of HIIT. Paired with 30 minutes of strength training

I'm 282.3 and cannot lose a single pound. Held steady here for 2 months(sometimes to the exact 10th of a pound). About a year and a half ago the same thing happened. I was running daily and recording everything I eat and my weight would not budge from 278 for 2 months.

I have had my thyroid tested . Why in the hell can't i get away from 280? I'm 5 11. This is not a healthy weight for me. I don't want to be here any more but nothing seems to work. :-(

My plan is to talk to an endocrinologist within the next month. That's the only thing I can think of.

First off, fuck the scale. Seriously. Throw it out a window.

How's your body composition? Are your clothes loose? Belt on a lower notch?

Do you have an iPhone? There's an awesome app called body shot where you can track pictures and measurements.

There's also the possibility you're doing too much. One thing I've noticed is you can't stress your body with too many factors. Want a strict diet? Sure. Strict workout program? Sure. Both? Ehhh....

So when you say low carb, how low carb?

Around 2000 calories isn't a lot.

Wy not try 3 weeks of eating sensible (whole foods, nothing processed, high protein) and eating when you're hungry?

Less is more when it comes to exercise. How about 3-4 days of heavy weight training? Paired with some walking. Fitgaf can help you here

Don't get discouraged. This isn't a sprint. This is the rest of your life. Any change, even small, is change. Everyone is here to support you.

despire

I think he's just doing way too much exercise.

Also eating low carb for a long time can and probably will run your fat burning hormones to the ground. Especially if you are doing a lot of exercise. A single carb feast could do wonders. It seems counterintuitive but sometimes that's exactly what your body needs.

Also:
Dic7gdZ.png

Chittagong

Gold Member
FWIW, I have found that it's really easy to underestimate your calories intake and overestimate the burn from sports.

At your weight and that amount of sports with 2000kcal you should be losing constantly, no question about it. The most likely answer is that your BMR is really very low and you underestimate calories from a food intake, leading you to live at maintenance.

I try to hit 1700kcal for that reason, I am 220lbs, do a bit more sports than you and lose around 1-2lbs/week constantly. Also I fast two days a week with only 500kcal during those 24 hours.

MThanded

My target 100 to 150 carbs now.

In the past I have tried low low carb 50 with very similar lack of results.

Weight loss is hard. I'm just trying to find answers. I'll be sure to be more active in this and the fitgaf thread. Maybe I can get some help.

Imm0rt4l

You don't want to take in too much fiber otherwise it will hinder nutrient absorption. I think 25 to 40 is optimal.
Over 60 might be too much.

MThanded

You say low carb and high fiber, but how much fat and protein are you getting?
Between 100 - 150 gm protein.

Between 100-150 gm of fat.

I'm not keto low though. Im between 100 and 150 grams of carbs too.

Just looked at my MFP report.

harSon

Banned
Are you consuming artificial sweeteners? They effect people differently. Some people can consume them with no issues at all, and for others (myself included), they can potentially bring weight loss to a stand still.

Is your cardio actual running? There is no way in hell that's good on your knees, man.

Something clearly isn't right. Either there is something going on with your diet you're overlooking or your body just refuses to drop the weight due to some kind of medical condition. Going to the endocrinologist is definitely a good idea. Most important thing is to not give up, if something is not working you need to change it up and adapt. And like Sean said, this is a life change. It can be difficult to not get hung up on the scale number sometimes, just believe and know you'll be OK if you stick to the path long term.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
You don't want to take in too much fiber otherwise it will hinder nutrient absorption. I think 25 to 40 is optimal.
Over 60 might be too much.

I work with a bunch of Registered Dietitians and since I usually get between 50-60 grams of fiber a day I asked one of them their thoughts on too much fiber and the likelihood of malabsorption. She told me that a guy my age (33) shouldn't be concerned about it as long as I was having regular bowel movements.

Basically I think if you are having some issues that would lead you to suspect that you aren't getting the nutrients you reasonably expect you should be getting from the food you eat you might do well to consider eating less fiber, but if you are an otherwise healthy individual with no signs of malabsorption than it isn't really something to be too concerned about.

As others have said, if there are issues for you seeing a professional is a great idea. Also, don't give up no matter what. Even in the absence of results just stick with it and, with a professional's guidance if needed, you'll see results eventually. Usually you are the last person to notice, too.

So going by calories I should have lost 1.5/week.

During a two week span in addition to the lower calories, I lowered my carbs by 20/g on average.

Yet I've only lost a pound.

Love you, dieting. >(

Have you guys stopped drinking alcohol? If no, then how do you incorporate it in your diet?
General advice would to be to drink low carb, low sugar drinks.

Kraftwerk

General advice would to be to drink low carb, low sugar drinks.

Heh, never thought about it so imply.

I guess it shouldn't affect my diet if I am drinking 2-3 drinks such as whiskey that have no carbs or sugar & low on calories....at least that is what the nutrition info/label says.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

1. I am eating a low carb high fiber diet targeting around 2000 calories. I record all my food to make sure(MFP)

I have had my thyroid tested and it seemed in the normal functioning range . Why in the hell can't i get away from 280? I'm 5 11. This is not a healthy weight for me. I don't want to be here any more but nothing seems to work. :-(

Edit:
Maybe this is not the thread for this. If there is a better place please direct me there.

I really think you should cut the cardio. Strength training is great, but stop running so damn much, it's probably a big part of why you aren't losing fat.

This is written for women, but it applies to men to:

http://athlete.io/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

I suggest giving it a read.

I think he's just doing way too much exercise.

Also eating low carb for a long time can and probably will run your fat burning hormones to the ground. Especially if you are doing a lot of exercise. A single carb feast could do wonders. It seems counterintuitive but sometimes that's exactly what your body needs.

Also:
Dic7gdZ.png

Yep. This is great advice.

In an attempt to get a very low body fat %, I've recently started following a routine outlined in John Kiefer's "Carb Nite" book, which involves exploiting the hormone-related fat burning effects of a very infrequent carb frenzy, and it seems pretty damn legit.

Malvolio

Question for everyone;

Have you guys stopped drinking alcohol? If no, then how do you incorporate it in your diet?

While I was dropping weight I switched to scotch from beer as I was trying to stay keto. Even with that switch I only drank on special occasions. Now I'm back to beer, but I keep it to the weekends. Luckily drinking quality craft beer helps in drinking less of it as the alcohol % tends to be higher than most standard brands.

I'm trying an interesting diet for three weeks:

Protein Shakes
Quest Bars
Whiskey.

It's been fun for a week. We'll see if I can keep it up. Trying to lost 15 pounds in a 6 weeks. 1200 Calories or less each day with one 1600-1800 calorie day.

Walking 60 minutes to/from work and hopefully a 30 minute walk at lunch. Elliptical excercises for 45-50 minutes 3-4 days a week. Barbell/machine strength training for 30-40 minutes 3-4 days a week.

M.D

GAF, so how do I lose weight? I'm sorry, this whole thread is essentially about this question, but there's so many posts... I'd just like some advice..

I was never skinny or anything, but I was never considered fat.
A few years ago, some things happened and I started gaining a lot of weight, and I remember weighting 96kg (212 pounds) at one point. About 3 years ago I was at a situation where I did not eat a lot of food for a couple of months, and so I started losing weight. I've been stuck at about 79kg (174 pounds), some times a little more or a little less, but generally in that range. (My height is 1.79/ 5 feet 10 inches)

I now decided that I want to lose some weight. I'll just say upfront that I have a Herniated disk and suffer from pains in my right leg, so I'm not sure about anything related to exercising (I'll have to talk to a doctor first).

So, what I've been trying to do so far is eat healthy and keep low on carbs, but it's not working out great so far.
What happens is I don't eat a breakfast, then usually eat a stake/burger with some salad (or rice if it's Friday), then think I'm full, only to find out later at night that I'm hungry. Lately I've been eating a lot of fruit at night so I won't have to eat something else when that hunger kicks in.

I really feel like I got the mental part locked down, I just need some guidance

mkenyon

Banned
I dropped about 40 lbs in college, and then just recently have dropped a bit over 120 lbs. Calorie restriction worked both times. I ate carbs, fruit, sugar, protein, veggies. Basically a balanced diet save for not a lot of meat. I'm a dairy/carbs guy, so I just tailored my calorie consumption around healthful things that I enjoyed eating.

In the end, the only way to lose weight is to have a lot of self control.

When you are a person who got fat in the first place, starving yourself for months is hard as fuck.

For most of it, it was a restriction of about 1300-1500 calories a day, with a cheat day sprinkled in here and there where I would do 2000-2500.

Edit:
Drop your calories. 2000 is a lot when you are trying to drop fat.

Labrys

GAF, so how do I lose weight? I'm sorry, this whole thread is essentially about this question, but there's so many posts... I'd just like some advice..

I was never skinny or anything, but I was never considered fat.
A few years ago, some things happened and I started gaining a lot of weight, and I remember weighting 96kg (212 pounds) at one point. About 3 years ago I was at a situation where I did not eat a lot of food for a couple of months, and so I started losing weight. I've been stuck at about 79kg (174 pounds), some times a little more or a little less, but generally in that range. (My height is 1.79/ 5 feet 10 inches)

I now decided that I want to lose some weight. I'll just say upfront that I have a Herniated disk and suffer from pains in my right leg, so I'm not sure about anything related to exercise (I'll have to talk to a doctor first).

So, what I've been trying to do so far is eat healthy and keep low on carbs, but it's not working out great so far.
What happens is I don't eat a breakfast, then usually eat a stake/burger with some salad (or rice if it's Friday), then think I'm full, only to find out later at night that I'm hungry. Lately I've been eating a lot of fruit at night so I won't have to eat something else when that hunger kicks in.

I really feel like I got the mental part locked down, I just need some guidance

Well, you're on track with the idea to eat healthy!
Regarding breakfast, you should try to at least get something, it keeps your brain working well and usually is burnt off before you get to lunch.
You say you eat steaks and burgers. In theory both of those are fine, but you should eat lean beef, and whole wheat buns/no bun on the burger. Also try eating white meat, like chicken or pork some days.
When you get hungry at night, try substituting eating with drinking water. You may just be thirsty. If you are in fact hungry, work in something to eat within a calorie plan. Most fruits are fine, but I would try vegetables and possibly rice cakes as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding breakfast, you should try to at least get something, it keeps your brain working well and usually is burnt off before you get to lunch.
You say you eat steaks and burgers. In theory both of those are fine, but you should eat lean beef, and whole wheat buns/no bun on the burger. Also try eating white meat, like chicken or pork some days.
When you get hungry at night, try substituting eating with drinking water. You may just be thirsty. If you are in fact hungry, work in something to eat within a calorie plan. Most fruits are fine, but I would try vegetables and possibly rice cakes as well.

Disagree on this point (and most of the rest of your post, but I'll just address this). Not eating for many hours after waking up will absolutely help you lose fat. You're in prime fat burning mode the moment you wake up. You absolutely kill that momentum by eating, especially if what you eat has carbs in it.

Your brain works just fine without any food in the morning. In fact, some studies suggest it performs better.

Labrys

Disagree on this point (and most of the rest of your post, but I'll just address this). Not eating for many hours after waking up will absolutely help you lose fat. You're in prime fat burning mode the moment you wake up. You absolutely kill that momentum by eating, especially if what you eat has carbs in it.

Your brain works just fine without any food in the morning. In fact, some studies suggest it performs better.

Oh! Well, to be completely honest I didn't eat anything in the morning when I lost weight, just everybody I talked to afterward said I should have. I just assumed it'd be healthier. Thanks for calling me on, it, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh! Well, to be completely honest I didn't eat anything in the morning when I lost weight, just everybody I talked to afterward said I should have. I just assumed it'd be healthier. Thanks for calling me on, it, though.

It's another one of those "conventional wisdom" things that sounds like it should make sense, but is the opposite of reality.

A pretty good writeup on it can be found here if you're interested:

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-part-2-breakfast/

despire

Drop the calories, watch the weight come off. It's not rocket science.

And then drop them again after he stalls. Then drop them again after another stall. It's a great cycle to get into. After a while he's eating 1000 calories a day and can't eat anymore in fear of getting fat again. Also a great way to destroy your metabolism.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Drop the calories, watch the weight come off. It's not rocket science.

Depends if it's net or gross calories. If it's net (the deduction from exercise has already been factored in) then yes 2000 is too high. If it's gross (exercise has yet to be deducted) then it could be potentially too low depending on the intensity of the workout.

M.D

Thanks for the help guys.

I dropped about 40 lbs in college, and then just recently have dropped a bit over 120 lbs. Calorie restriction worked both times. I ate carbs, fruit, sugar, protein, veggies. Basically a balanced diet save for not a lot of meat. I'm a dairy/carbs guy, so I just tailored my calorie consumption around healthful things that I enjoyed eating.

In the end, the only way to lose weight is to have a lot of self control.

When you are a person who got fat in the first place, starving yourself for months is hard as fuck.

For most of it, it was a restriction of about 1300-1500 calories a day, with a cheat day sprinkled in here and there where I would do 2000-2500.

Drop your calories. 2000 is a lot when you are trying to drop fat.

How important are carbs? I keep hearing about low carb diet, and a friend of mine lost a lot weight over a couple of months by keeping low on carbs (he actually still does, I gotta think it's not really healthy for him?)

Say I eat 1500 calories a day, how much carbs should I allow myself?

I don't eat the stake/burger with buns, and I don't really eat bread that much..
What is considered lean beef? I think I'll move on to chicken, I only eat burger/stake or other kinds of meat while eating at my mom's house, I usually eat schnitzel (don't know if you're familiar with that?) when I have to do it

I'll try your advice about drinking water at night. I usually just eat some watermelon and usually its enough

Also, pork ain't kosher man ;p

So how do I make sure I'm not hungry at night? just eat a bigger lunch? or is it ok to feel hungry at night and eat something?
What else do you disagree on? if you know better, share it with us please :)

Labrys

I don't eat the stake/burger with buns, and I don't really eat bread that much..
What is considered lean beef? I think I'll move on to chicken, I only eat burger/stake or other kinds of meat while eating at my mom's house, I usually eat schnitzel (don't know if you're familiar with that?) when I have to do it

I'll try your advice about drinking water at night. I usually just eat some watermelon and usually its enough

Also, pork ain't kosher man ;p

Oh, jeez, sorry, didn't know you're on a kosher diet. Chicken would suit you fine, then. Lots of delicious ways to cook it that usually don't add too much fat/calories, too.

Lean beef will usually be marked as such, but I know sirloin tip steak, round roast, and top sirloin steak are considered lean cuts, among others I can't remember. If you have doubts, ask the butcher and I'm sure they could verify.
With schnitzel, though, looking at it (never had it, eheh), the fact that it's breaded+fried will add calories/fat/etc. If it's only every once in a while you should be fine, though.

And, when I hear burger I automatically think the bunned one, not hamburg steak. Sorry about that. The fact that you don't eat bread much is good, though! Less refined carbs mean less water weight.

Top Bottom