• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

~Kinggi~

Banned
muahahahaha, i think im back to losing weight!

So im at 181.5 now, and for two weeks i was stuck at 184. I took some of the advice in this thread from teh own and someone else, and basically changed a little of my breakfast, and actually cheated this weekend. I didnt work out Friday and Saturday, and last night i made myself a nice saucy Thai dish ive been dieing to have since i started the diet.

So in summary, i ate a sinful dinner and stopped working out for 2 days and now im 3 pounds lighter. This shit makes no sense.

grumble

Aquavelvaman said:
Does this argument have to restart every page?

Yeah, I felt kind of bad making a wall of text. I'm just a little irritated when my totally reasonable response gets turned into 'fart fart fart'. Suffice it to say, I won't mention it again.

Chinner

Banned
well i'm not obnoxious enough to dismiss a type of dieting, but yeah it is tedious.

i'm just going to copy and paste this instead of pretending that i wrote this all myself:
Generally, low carb diets don’t require you to keep track of caloric intake. A calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius. Your body does not literally burn foods like a calorimeter. Different macronutrients (i.e., carbohydrate, fat, and protein) have different effects on hormones, which have different effects on fat storage, and provide different amounts of energy to the body in different ways.

You’ve probably been told weight loss is a simple matter of calories in minus calories out. This was “proven” by citing the First Law of Thermodynamics. You were told wrong. The First Law of Thermodynamics has to do with energy balance in a CLOSED system. Your body is not a closed system, unless you figured out a way to not poop, breathe, sweat, etc. In fact, calories from macronutrients CAN’T be equal since a deficiency of carbs requires your body to convert protein into glucose. That process has a “cost.” To say calories are all equal violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

In short, using the word “calorie” to connote the amount food consumed or amount of energy ingested is clumsy and inaccurate. However, it’s a term used throughout nutritional literature, so we’re stuck with it. Calorie counts can be useful “rules of thumb,” but always keep in mind their limitations.

Experiments have been conducted prove people respond differently to the food they consume. Either the scientists found a way to violate the laws of thermodynamics, or most people’s understanding of how the body uses food is wrong. Guess which one it is? One famous study was conducted in the Vermont state prison where every inmate was forced to eat the same amount without exercising. The amount of weight gained varied greatly.

Fredrik Nyström conducted a controlled experiment at Linköping University to determine the effects of an extreme high calorie diet on people who are naturally thin. He force fed the participants 6,000 calories a day, roughly double what most of the volunteers ingested normally. He discovered that their weight gains were neither predictable nor consistent within the group. After the experiment concluded, the test subjects quickly returned to their pre-test weights and eating habits.

The BBC documentary Horizon aired a documentary called “Why Are Thin People Not Fat” that featured a repeated experiment in England conducted by Nyström with the same results. I found a copy of it on YouTube:

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7

Claiming obesity is a product of a positive energy balance is as enlightening as saying global warming is a product of the Earth getting hotter. No sh*t, Sherlock. It’s not very helpful to state the effect while ignoring the cause. We must determine how the body is processing the energy we ingest, and how it can be prevented from turning into fat. That’s where hormones come in since hormones regulate fat storage. If we can manipulate our hormones, we can change how our bodies use the calories we eat. An overweight person is not necessarily someone who overeats; their body simply may be storing an undesirable amount of fuel as fat instead of using it for energy. Likewise, a naturally skinny person may be converting their surplus fuel into energy, lean tissue growth, or heat instead of fat.

What if we restrict calories a whole lot? Won’t that cause weight loss? Yes! If someone is starved of fuel, the body is forced to use those restricted calories to preserve survival. That may mean using fat stores, breaking down lean muscle tissue, lowering body temperature, lethargy, etc. Of course, this is not a desirable long term condition. The beauty of low carb diets is that they do not attempt to starve the body of energy. They attack the root of the problem: fat metabolism.

Some studies attempt to show that all diets have the same effective weight loss when strictly controlling calories. Participants are separated into different groups, each with a different predefined ratio of fat, protein, and carbs. The kinds of foods eaten by each group can differ greatly. However, the total number of calories ingested each day for each group is must be the same. The term for this kind of comparison is “isocaloric.” The “cheat” they use in these studies is that they do not allow the participants to ingest their typical amount of calories, or even the normal basal calories for their height, age, weight, and activity level. Instead, they cut their calories significantly, which puts their bodies into semi-starvation. Their bodies are now fighting to use whatever calories are available for survival. These kinds of studies don’t provide a meaningful comparison of diets under normal metabolic conditions. Studies that do not force calories to be restricted usually show a significant advantage of very low carb diets over their converse.
I agree though that more research has to be done, and I know some researchers are keen to do what you describe.

Really want to read Good Calories, Bad calories, Taubes has basically gone through like 20 years of research :lol .

Yeah, I felt kind of bad making a wall of text. I'm just a little irritated when my totally reasonable response (just don't eat a pile of food and you won't get fat) gets turned into 'fart fart fart'. Suffice it to say, I won't mention it again.
i find it irritating when people are posting good results from their diets (low carb or w/e) and you come in being totally dismissive and starting stupid diet debates.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Sorry to add to what seems like an epic and long term thread derail but none of the other existing fitness threads seemed as accessible or appropriate for my question.

Thanks to this thread I just downloaded myfitnesspal for iPhone and it seems awesome. But how does it work out your net calorie goal? Does it assume I will do the exercise I said I hoped to do or is it just based on weight and how quick I wanna lose it?

Furthermore I want to change my lifestyle, feel like I'm killing myself here and I figure a good place to start is supplements! I don't get near enough of the good stuff so can you guys recommend some for me? I'm under the impression I can just grab a bottle of multivitamins and take one a day, is this accurate? That seems too easy...

I also need to eat an extra 1000 calories today :( prob won't happen but tomorrow will be the start!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
kaizoku said:
Furthermore I want to change my lifestyle, feel like I'm killing myself here and I figure a good place to start is supplements! I don't get near enough of the good stuff so can you guys recommend some for me? I'm under the impression I can just grab a bottle of multivitamins and take one a day, is this accurate? That seems too easy...

Yeah, this probably isn't the best thread.

But for your vitamin question, things to consider:
-Lots of vitamins need fats & food to trigger digestion to absorb the nutrients
-Symbiotic bacteria increases the amount of nutrients absorbed
-Vitamins tend to be in very unnatural compound forms. For example, magnesium oxide is very poorly absorbed compared to forms of magnesium in food. You're better off with green vegetables, meat, nuts for minerals.
-Phytates in grains inhibit many minerals from absorbing. So if you're eating lots of grains, you need to supplement lots of minerals.

kaizoku said:
Sorry to add to what seems like an epic and long term thread derail but none of the other existing fitness threads seemed as accessible or appropriate for my question.

Thanks to this thread I just downloaded myfitnesspal for iPhone and it seems awesome. But how does it work out your net calorie goal? Does it assume I will do the exercise I said I hoped to do or is it just based on weight and how quick I wanna lose it?

I also need to eat an extra 1000 calories today :( prob won't happen but tomorrow will be the start!

Its based on your bmr. It asks you for your age, height and weight. As wells as your activity level.

It than calculates a deficit based on quickly you selected to lose weight, up to 2lbs a week.

If you add in your exercise it will add those calories to your daily gaol. Since you are already in a deficit you should try to eat all your exercise calories. You still burned those calories so you need to replace them.

I like god supplements. Fresh fruits and veggies. If you can't come up with a meal plan that is full of healthy foods you will find yourself setting up for failure. You need to find a food plan that works for you. Find good healthy food choices. You will also find those foods have lower calories and you can eat tons more.

Couple tips.

1. Food scale. If you don't weigh your food you don't really know how much you ate.

2. I eat 4-6 small meals instead of 3 large ones. I eat every 2-3 hrs. By time I am hungry again its time to eat again.

3. Yes it is easy and hard. Easy in just eating less and moving more leads to a thinner you. Hard in you have to make the lifestyle change. And the change has to be for life. Not 3 or 4 months or when you hit a number on a scale. You don't have to flip your whole world upside down but you can't eat and do the things you were doing. They led to the fat you.

Good luck.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
funkmastergeneral said:
This is a terrible attitude to have starting a new diet
I downloaded the app at 11.30pm! Yes I had a strange day of not eating much.

Cheers for advice, I think the hard bit is eating more, more healthier stuff too, it's not always at hand. Still live like a student at times, ramen and crisps and so on.

Tomorrows a new day!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
teh_pwn said:
Yeah, this probably isn't the best thread.

But for your vitamin question, things to consider:
-Lots of vitamins need fats & food to trigger digestion to absorb the nutrients
-Symbiotic bacteria increases the amount of nutrients absorbed
-Vitamins tend to be in very unnatural compound forms. For example, magnesium oxide is very poorly absorbed compared to forms of magnesium in food. You're better off with green vegetables, meat, nuts for minerals.
-Phytates in grains inhibit many minerals from absorbing. So if you're eating lots of grains, you need to supplement lots of minerals.

there is also not any real scientific proof that multivitamins actually do any good.

Your body doesn't absorb most of them very well and at the very least we know it isn't as beneficial as actually eating well and getting the nutrients that way. The best case scenario is that there is a mild benefit to taking them.

The bigger concern is that people take those and thing it makes up for actually eating well, and there is the potential to get too much of certain vitamins if you eat too of them in food. In particular Vitamin A or Iron.

Basically, eat better. Save your money.

The only one that I would bother with is a fish oil pill. I have seen some evidence from the Mayo clinic that Omega 3 from fishoil (even through pill form) has some significant benefits to your brain specifically. Flax Seed.. not to much.

hsukardi

Conceited said:
Well I figure it's about time I posted in this thread.

I lost 130lbs (down from 280) about 5 years ago, only took me about 9 months to drop all the weight (I'm guessing it's because I was young, and also a male).

Since then Ive gained almost 30lbs of muscle and Ive managed to keep the weight off fairly easily, even when I cut down on my cardio in favor of weights (30 mins of stairs) I still managed to keep my weight the same despite the fact I was now eating whatever I wanted. Im guessing my metabolism shot through the roof or something because I can push 3500 calories a day now and not gain any body fat. Im now 6 feet, 178lbs with a body fat % that hovers around 8%.

That's a lot of weight to lose. How is the skin, loose?

Xelinis

Well GAF, I've taken the plunge. I've spent the past two months focusing on building muscle and I've put on a little bit of fat in the process. I'm starting a keto diet and we'll see how much of that fat I burn off in the next 28 days. Will post updates.

22 years old
5"10
167 lbs

Xelinis said:
Well GAF, I've taken the plunge. I've spent the past two months focusing on building muscle and I've put on a little bit of fat in the process. I'm starting a keto diet and we'll see how much of that fat I burn off in the next 28 days. Will post updates.

22 years old
5"10
167 lbs
you have to post a before pic.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
BOLLOCKS!

I've hit a fucking wall it seems.... god damn it.
The first 30 days, between june 29th and july 29th I lost a satisfying 22 pounds, steadily mind you. Now between july 29th and august 9th I haven't lost one pound, even though my diet is the same while my exercising is even more rigorous.

Maybe I should wait and observe what happens? fuuu.

Conceited said:
Actually no, at first it was but it tightened up over time, especially with me gaining muscle in the process.
I really have to give you props, you've done exactly what I'm on the road to doing now. If I may ask how long did it take to get where you are now? Also, how the hell did you survive 90 mins of stairs? Damn man, you have some stamina, lol. I usually can only go for about 30-45 .

I also thought I'd share my progress, never really done this before. I started at about 270 lbs a couple of years ago, when I started college. I decided I was tired of being fat and unhealthy and finally took a serious turn to changing things. I didn't start with much working out, but just the walks around campus in between classes were enough to me to feel active, and I focused mostly on cutting out the hunk in my diet and keeping in the good stuff. Dropping soda for water was probably the best thing I did starting out.

I hit about 250 just from that and decided it was time to take things t another level and I started working out with a friend. Following a standard weight training routine with cardio. Mostly just walking, and a standard 3 day lifting routine. That's when the fat really started to go. The only change I made to my diet was increased my protein intake, but otherwise I ate how I wanted, just "healthy".

Now I'm at about 187 lbs and am now focusing on lower my BF% to 10%. Not much has changed though I do a lot more weight training than before, but still maintain a pretty similar cardio setup. Although I alternate between walking at a full incline and high speed, sprinting, cycling, and stairs depending on what kind of cardio I'm doing that day. (I switch between low intensity and high intensity cardio workouts).

I still have a long way to go, but I feel so much better than I did when I first started out. I can walk up stairs without getting winded, hell even just walking across campus without feeling like I'm dying is a great feeling. I'm a hell of a lot stronger than I was before as well.

Couple of pics:

Me at around 250:
2012812orig.jpg

Me now:
135JcfRGG4IANV4ZDiWxor5oxp21yZ0282.jpeg

Like I said, I still have a lot of work to do (my gut is depressing :(). I've fallen off the wagon a couple of times, and hit a period in my life where my motivation was just gone. But, I'm back into it and determined to get even further.

Tinabina

hey guys, haven't posted in this thread but have been reading it for a while. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Nutrisystem, i ordered a 4 week plan yesterday and am super excited to start.

edit: figured i should post a pic for comparison after the 4 weeks are up
this is the only recent full body pic i have so sry for the blurriness and ignore the messy kid room
IMG_0798.jpg

Sarye

DarthWufei, great job man. You say you have a long way to go but you already look like a completely different person. I'm not fat, but I have what's called skinny fat where I have the man boobs and stomach. Pretty much not flattering shirtless. You've given me hope that with strength training I can get rid of these ridiculous moobs.

What does your lifting regimen look like? I'm currently following starting strength's guide but I like to also see what everyone else is doing

edit: I'm a moron and don't know how to use myfitnesspal. So far it's a great app.

ShadiWulf

I've lost 4 pounds since August 4th. Down to 221 from 225. I know that isn't healthy. but I'm not starving myself either... I'm confused.. should i eat more?

Einbroch

Banned
I think I just beat my plateau. I was stuck on 260-262 for weeks, but I just weighed myself and I was 255.

Feels good, man.

peach

Chinner said:
Well, Science disagrees. Also consider that low carb diets are high fat diets, and fat has twice the amount of calories than protein or carbs.

Actually I am currently following the ideal protein diet which is high in protein and low in fat, calories, and sugar. I have to take a lot of vitamins and I'm only on my second day but I feel so great. Really the diet is not high in fat. I just have 5 oz of lean meat a day.

StoOgE

peach said:
Actually I am currently following the ideal protein diet which is high in protein and low in fat, calories, and sugar. I have to take a lot of vitamins and I'm only on my second day but I feel so great. Really the diet is not high in fat. I just have 5 oz of lean meat a day.

Yeah.. um, that sounds like starving yourself.

Day 2 you might feel great. You are going to not feel great pretty quickly and those vitamins are not doing any good.

StoOgE

tinabina said:
hey guys, haven't posted in this thread but have been reading it for a while. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Nutrisystem, i ordered a 4 week plan yesterday and am super excited to start.

Those kinds of diets work if you follow them. But you pretty much will put the weight right back on within a few months to a year of being off of it. The food is also expensive.

The problem with diets like that is you aren't learning a new "lifestyle" you are just losing weight and then the diet "ends" and you only know to go back to what you were eating.

That said, you don't look like you have much weight to lose (pic makes it a bit hard to tell) and I think those sorts of diets for a those last few pounds can be fine, just realize you'll probably put them back on over time if you don't change the way you were eating/excercizing in the first place.

Also, you just marked yourself as a member of girl-gaf... beware the white knights are coming

Yaweee

ShadiWulf said:
I've lost 4 pounds since August 4th. Down to 221 from 225. I know that isn't healthy. but I'm not starving myself either... I'm confused.. should i eat more?

I wouldn't even consider that real weight loss. That's about the daily fluctuations in weight just due to eating, drinking, and processing. You have to monitor your weight over a much longer timescale to actually discern real weight loss.

Brashnir

Yaweee said:
I wouldn't even consider that real weight loss. That's about the daily fluctuations in weight just due to eating, drinking, and processing. You have to monitor your weight over a much longer timescale to actually discern real weight loss.

Yeah. In fact, the first thing I recommend when starting a diet is to put the scale in a box in a closet somewhere for 2-3 weeks. A lot of people get discouraged by the scale within the first week or two of a diet. It's normal to have pretty big fluctuations, especially in the first couple weeks of a diet change.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
peach said:

I don't think there is a one size fits all ideal diet. Whatever the best diet is for you, you still need a certain level of both essential amino acids (protein) and essential fatty acids (fat) to be healthy. Carbohydrate can only be used as fuel. You can certainly be healthy on a moderately low fat diet, but going very low is going to cause health issues.

I have a few questions about Low Carb, more specifically Induction:

How important is it to eat 6 small meals, rather than 3 regular size?

Is it possible to over-eat, even if I am staying under 20g's a day?

Will fast food beef have any negative effects on my weight loss?

I've been lifting weights, is this recommended during induction?

NR1

Ok, I have a few questions for those that are in the know in relation to muscle building.

As some of you may know, I have already been successful in loosing 65 lbs over 3 months this year and I have done a great job or maintaining that weight now for the past month and a half. I have since switched over to muscle building, and I am having a very hard time getting a coherent exercise program going.

Here is where I am now:

- I am making sure I eat somewhere between 2800 and 3000 calories per day with between 1 and 1.15 grams of Protein per pound of my current body weight (175g to 200g).

-My diet consists of scrambled eggs w/ cheese, Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, Whey Protein shakes, fresh fruit (grapes, bananas, ect.), roast/ grilled chicken, roast beef, turkey, peanut butter sandwiches on potato bread, 1% milk, and a few other things along these lines. My meals are the standard 3, plus 1 mid-morning snack before lunch, and 2 afternoon snacks after lunch and before dinner.

-If I am not drinking one of the 3 protein shakes I have each day, then I am drinking water. LOTS OF WATER.

-For the past month, I have been working out on the "fixed machines" at the gym in an attempt to gain muscle. I have since come to learn that those are not the most beneficial pieces of equipment to use if you want to gain weight/ muscle. They are good for toning, but not building (though I did have some very modest results). With free weights, you are using more "stability muscles" to hold the weights and you are not stuck in a fixed movement path.

I have now begun "free weights," but this is where the problems come into play. I know that you are only suppose to work one area of the body each day and then allow at least 2 days for recovery before working that area again, such as working the back on Sunday and then waiting until Wednesday before working it again.

I have notices and have read some resources around the web that "push" and "pull" exercises are they types of exercises I should be doing to work the chest and back.

"Push"- Chest and Triceps
"Pull"- Back and Biceps

Is this correct or at least general true (plus a few other muscles in the arms)? The reason I ask, is because in order to workout either that back or the chest, some form or workout must be done with the arms. Should I have a completely separate day set aside for arms or just have parts of them rolled in with the back and chest days.

Some one told me today that I should not do upper body exercise 2 days in a row, so my schedule looks something like this now:

Day 1- Back/ Biceps/ Shoulders
Day 2- Legs
Day 3- Chest/ Triceps
Day 4- Off
Day 5- Back/ Biceps/ Shoulders
Day 6- Legs
Day 7- Chest/ Triceps

I have also been told that Abs can be worked on everyday in addition to the 3-day workout rotation for the other areas of the body. Basically, I have been using a stability ball and a 40 minute workout DVD that came with for my abs. I do this in the morning when I wake-up and then my bodybuilding workout at the gym in the evenings after work.

Also, I have been told that cardio workouts should be limited to about 30 minutes per day and only 3 or 4 times a week. Does this sound correct? As I understand it, I should want to maintain my calories for muscle building rather that to completely burning them off while jogging or something.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Building muscle is so much harder that loosing weight, and that is a FACT! Everything I have been reading/ hearing so far flies in the face of everything I have told myself to not do for the past 4 months-- do a lot of cardio exercises and reduce calories.

When you have been fat like me, you start getting this uneasy fear that you will go back to the way your were if you are not careful. I am absolutely terrified of that!

For those that missed it, here are my before and after photos from earlier in the topic:

Page 29 (Post# 1445)

grumble

You might find more help in the FitnessGAF megathread. The OP for that thread is a great resource, and people in that thread can definitely help you with your muscle building goals.

EDIT: also, congratulations on your weight loss. Big difference.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
How does GAF feel about "bad meals" when dieting? i.e. once a week you have a meal that disregards any dieting concerns

StoOgE

betweenthewheels said:
I have a few questions about Low Carb, more specifically Induction:

How important is it to eat 6 small meals, rather than 3 regular size?

Is it possible to over-eat, even if I am staying under 20g's a day?

Will fast food beef have any negative effects on my weight loss?

I've been lifting weights, is this recommended during induction?

1) You don't have to eat 6 small meals. The idea is you stay "full" on 6 small meals so you won't overeat nearly as much.

2) Yes, you can still overeat. But it's less likely. The GI rating of protein and fat is really high so it takes your body forever to break it down. One of the real benefits of a low carb diet is you feel full much longer than you do off of carbs. It's similar to the benefit you get from eating whole grain wheat just on a much bigger scale.

3) Not really. However, you can probably buy a box of bubba burgers or something similar for 10 dollars and that will have 10+ microwavable burgers patties that are about as good. Slap some cheese on them right at the end and they taste ok. I like to throw a fried egg on top, because if I'm going to do this diet, I'm going to take advantage of it.

4) Weight Lifting (and exercise in general) is good at all times. You will be getting a lot more protein than normal so you might actually see some better muscle gain as well on this diet. It also means your body will burn through what few carbs it has really quickly and it will be easier to stay in ketosis.

StoOgE

K2Valor said:
How does GAF feel about "bad meals" when dieting? i.e. once a week you have a meal that disregards any dieting concerns

I can't do it. As soon as I eat a pizza I get the taste for it again and all bets are off on my self control. If I'm on an actual diet like I am now and not just on a generally eating better thing I have to stay completely away from "bad" foods.

If you can cheat and go right back on it, more power to you. I Just don't have the strength.

crisdecuba said:
Started at 242.5 lbs, now at 227.5. :) Whoo hoo! Pics to come on October 1st (that's the target date for the conclusion of the weight loss competition I'm a part of). :)

My Goals:

1. Get to the weight I was at for my wedding: 212 lbs.
2. Get to the weight I was at the last time I went snowboarding: 196 lbs.
3. Get to the weight I was at in college, plus muscle: 180 lbs.

Update!

Now at 219.5 and I'm in the lead in my weight loss competition.

I tried on the suit I wore to my wedding and it fits again! Hasn't fit since Feb 2009. That was quite a pleasant discovery. :)

Brashnir

K2Valor said:

When I was in the midst of my big (120lbs) weight loss period, I allowed myself "one" bad meal once a week, but I only allowed myself to eat half of it, and could eat the other half as another meal the next day. (So in a sense it was two/week.) This allowed me to eat the things I craved while not having a day where I went through a big calorie spike.

ch0mp

NR1 said:

Nutrition looks ok.

Sounds like you haven't been lifting long? You probably don't need isolation excercises(specifically anything focusing on arms). Try to stick with compound stuff earlier on - squats pushups pullups etc: they are the ones the get your body building muscle. Another benefit of these is you don't need to worry about abs too much, they get used plenty if you do them right.

Have you considered buying something like Starting Strength (book) or P90x? Having something to follow makes it much easier to get started.

Sarye said:
DarthWufei, great job man. You say you have a long way to go but you already look like a completely different person. I'm not fat, but I have what's called skinny fat where I have the man boobs and stomach. Pretty much not flattering shirtless. You've given me hope that with strength training I can get rid of these ridiculous moobs.

What does your lifting regimen look like? I'm currently following starting strength's guide but I like to also see what everyone else is doing
Thanks man! I really appreciate it,and you're right, it's easy to forgot the strides you've made when you're stuck on what's left to do. I remember when I couldn't do a single unassisted dip/pushup/pull-up... couldn't walk a flight of stairs without getting winded, etc. Things have changed a lot.

You can get anywhere if you put your mind to it man, and try to keep your head up and just keep pushing forward. Results will come and you'll start to see the changes, it's a great feeling!

As far as what I do for weight training, starting off it was essentially starting strength, so you're doing just fine. I broke up the three main body groups across three days. back/legs/chest. With cardio on lift days and off days. Some weeks I would do a full body routine, one day high weight, another low.

Now it's pretty similar, but I have taken out shoulders/traps/abs and given them their own days when I'm doing low rep, high weight, workouts. I also do high intensity cardio with my ab workouts. I'm currently trying to make sure I cycle through exercises periodically and alternate between a high/low rep system.

Xelinis

Day 3 of Keto Diet: I now weight 163.5 lbs, but that's probably just water weight being lost. As of a few hours ago, I am officially in ketosis.

Net Loss: 3.5 lbs

LFG

Neophyte
this may sound stupid, but i'm gonna ask anyway...

doing low carb... are you guys eating vegetables with every meal? i've been trying to do about 2 1/2 to 3 servings of veggies for lunch and dinner. just curious if that was overkill or about right. thanks.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
metamonk said:
this may sound stupid, but i'm gonna ask anyway...

doing low carb... are you guys eating vegetables with every meal? i've been trying to do about 2 1/2 to 3 servings of veggies for lunch and dinner. just curious if that was overkill or about right. thanks.

I just started my low carb diet a few days ago. Vegetables accompany most of my meals, simply because meat by itself gets really boring. I've recently discovered Shirataki noodles though, and I'm going to use and abuse the shit out of them. Otherwise, veggies and some fruits/berries are good for the nutrients they provide, but some veggies and fruits you should simply avoid. Basically, if you're worried about it, look up the nutritional info on the veggies you eat. For example, potatoes are something you should ALWAYS avoid on a low carb diet. Celery? Eat as much as your heart desires.

I have a question of my own. I've had a biomed major tell me dubious things like "Aspartame has an effect on your insulin levels." Is there any truth to this? Should I stay away from artificial sweeteners and diet drinks? :(

ShinNL

ProudClod said:
I just started my low carb diet a few days ago. Vegetables accompany most of my meals, simply because meat by itself gets really boring. I've recently discovered Shirataki noodles though, and I'm going to use and abuse the shit out of them. Otherwise, veggies and some fruits/berries are good for the nutrients they provide, but some veggies and fruits you should simply avoid. Basically, if you're worried about it, look up the nutritional info on the veggies you eat. For example, potatoes are something you should ALWAYS avoid on a low carb diet. Celery? Eat as much as your heart desires.

I have a question of my own. I've had a biomed major tell me dubious things like "Aspartame has an effect on your insulin levels." Is there any truth to this? Should I stay away from artificial sweeteners and diet drinks? :(
Hell yeah *high five* those noodles are awesome. Makes everything a lot less boring.

My experience so far with veggies is that broccoli and cauliflower are the best, but they're such a pain to store (size), prepare (cutting stems, mess everywhere) and cook (always needing the biggest pan filled with water). So in the beginning I ate veggies about every day but now I eat it about 1 or 2 times a week. I use lettuce for my hamburgers and I take vitamin supplements everyday, so I hope that's enough.

GiJoccin

ProudClod said:

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/aspartame-and-diabetes.html

There was a fantastic video posted on the OT forum about HFCS and sugar, I tend to avoid sweet things as much as possible, as sugar is bad enough, but just about every other sweetener (artificial or natural, calories or not) we just don't really know what exactly it does to your body and all of the side effects.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Soneet said:
Hell yeah *high five* those noodles are awesome. Makes everything a lot less boring.

My experience so far with veggies is that broccoli and cauliflower are the best, but they're such a pain to store (size), prepare (cutting stems, mess everywhere) and cook (always needing the biggest pan filled with water). So in the beginning I ate veggies about every day but now I eat it about 1 or 2 times a week. I use lettuce for my hamburgers and I take vitamin supplements everyday, so I hope that's enough.

Yeah, Shirataki is the shitake. Made a thread about it. Doesn't seem like people care though :p

LFG

Neophyte
Soneet said:

so i'm eating too many vegetables? how much meat are you consuming for lunch / dinner? a couple of chicken breasts per meal or what?

Chaplain

crisdecuba said:
Update!

Now at 219.5 and I'm in the lead in my weight loss competition.

I tried on the suit I wore to my wedding and it fits again! Hasn't fit since Feb 2009. That was quite a pleasant discovery. :)

Something that helped me to keep off the weight that I lost was getting rid of the close that were to big for me after I lost weight. That way, I will never want to gain the weight back since I would have to buy brand new close again.

Schlep

metamonk said:
so i'm eating too many vegetables? how much meat are you consuming for lunch / dinner? a couple of chicken breasts per meal or what?
How it relates to low carb, I don't know, but I would say you're not eating enough. Double your current amount, including some fruit (so 5 cups or so a day of vegetables/fruits).

Soneet's eating, at least imo, is very unhealthy.

LFG

Neophyte
Schlep said:
How it relates to low carb, I don't know, but I would say you're not eating enough. Double your current amount, including some fruit (so 5 cups or so a day of vegetables/fruits).

Soneet's eating, at least imo, is very unhealthy.

i am worried i may be getting too many carbs from the vegetables. i've been eating about 5-6 servings a day, half with lunch and the rest with dinner. been mostly eating squash, broccoli, spinach, green beans, cauliflower.

Top Bottom