• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Domino Theory said:
So what's the verdict on having drinks that contain Aspartame when on a low-carb lifestyle? I found some awesome fruit flavored sparkling water at my local Safeway and noticed that they contain Aspartame so I'm hesitant to buy them again.

There is no final verdict, I believe. Some people believe it increases hunger for sugar and others believe it has no effect whatsoever.

I tend to agree with the latter. For me, having a coke zero every now and then helps me resist other sugary food and drinks more easily 'cause the coke zero is my sweet treat.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man this sucks. Ive never really yearned for something beyond my diet for the past 5 months but for some reason tonight im just dying to fuckin munch of something tasty. Anyone got any ideas for someone that has followed a pretty low-carb, low-fat diet?

Einbroch

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Man this sucks. Ive never really yearned for something beyond my diet for the past 5 months but for some reason tonight im just dying to fuckin munch of something tasty. Anyone got any ideas for someone that has followed a pretty low-carb, low-fat diet?
Just cheat. Seriously. If it's driving you insane, cheat once and get it over with. It's much better to cheat once and a while than it is to go bonkers over not eating the things you want. Just run 10 extra minutes tomorrow if it bothers you so much.

I'm a firm believer in cheat meals.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Einbroch said:
Just cheat. Seriously. If it's driving you insane, cheat once and get it over with. It's much better to cheat once and a while than it is to go bonkers over not eating the things you want. Just run 10 extra minutes tomorrow if it bothers you so much.

I'm a firm believer in cheat meals.
Well thing is i already reached my goal weight. Lost 43 pounds now. But i dont want to stray from the diet and exercise that got me there, and just go back to how i used to do things.

Im gonna head to the supermarket to see what i could grab that wouldnt be too bad. I also believe in cheating, but that usually came in handy when i plateaued and actually want to continue losing weight.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lol, went to the supermarket and bought me some stuff.

I just had

-a stick of celery with peanut better
-strawberries
-a banana
-topped it off with this mocha smoothie drink that tasted magnificent

i dont know if its sad or a good thing that i considered that a sinful meal, so tasty:D

~Kinggi~ said:
Lol, went to the supermarket and bought me some stuff.

I just had

-a stick of celery with peanut better
-strawberries
-a banana
-topped it off with this mocha smoothie drink that tasted magnificent

i dont know if its sad or a good thing that i considered that a sinful meal, so tasty:D

Thats not a meal. Thats a snack.

SUPARSTARX

Muscle Milk's very bloated. It's not bad.

If you want tasty protein shake, try the BSN Syntha-6 line of stuff. They double up as meal replacement too I think. I looooooooooooooooooove the chocolate peanut butter one. There's itsy bitsy pieces of chocolate in it. Mixes great even with water. :D :D

Alucrid

Banned
shim said:

Shit dude. I would love to try P90X....it's just that I hate working out with other people in the house/apartment/room/whatever. That's why the only exercise I tend to do is go running. Maybe when I get my own place or when I stop working or something. Anyways awesome progress.

grumble

Ripclawe said:
Doing one of those calorie calculators and it came up with this with my goal weight.

If this is true, how the hell can I get that much protein in a day? I hate protein drink and bars so that is out. what natural way could I meet those requirements?

Eat high-protein food?

200g chicken +
200g pork +
800 ml skim milk +
4 eggs
= 1400 calories, 66g fat, 50g carbs, 150g protein

Add more food as required.

+ 1 can tuna
= 1750 calories, 76g fat, 50g carbs, 208g protein
(that's actually a fairly good cutting diet for someone who's lifting weights by the way, plus some veggies.)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So I've read in here that Vitamin D3 is a really important vitamin to have and actually has some benefit to weight loss and what not.

How much is a good amount to have every day? 3000IU? 5000IU? More?

Domino Theory said:
So I've read in here that Vitamin D3 is a really important vitamin to have and actually has some benefit to weight loss and what not.

How much is a good amount to have every day? 3000IU? 5000IU? More?

Do you get 30 minutes to an hour of full, unfiltered sunlight on your skin each day?

If not, you should probably supplement. 4-5000IU daily is a safe dose. You can even go up to 10,000IU, which is what we naturally produce after about 30 minutes to an hour in the sun (this varies depending on time of day, climate, skin color, etc). If you can, get your levels tested. You want to be around 50-60ng/mL, which most experts agree is optimal for weight loss, heart health, bone/muscle strength, and even possible anti-cancer effects.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Price Dalton said:
Do you get 30 minutes to an hour of full, unfiltered sunlight on your skin each day?

Nope.

If not, you should probably supplement. 4-5000IU daily is a safe dose. You can even go up to 10,000IU, which is what we naturally produce after about 30 minutes to an hour in the sun (this varies depending on time of day, climate, skin color, etc). If you can, get your levels tested. You want to be around 50-60ng/mL, which most experts agree is optimal for weight loss, heart health, bone/muscle strength, and even possible anti-cancer effects.

Thanks for the help and tips. The next time I go for a blood test, I'll make sure to check my levels of Vitamin D.

NYR

~Kinggi~ said:
Even personal trainers don't eat healthy 100% of the time. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orVI7y1AjT0

Tony Horton talks about it very well - he calls it the 90-10 rule - 90% of the time he is eating right, and 10% he might have food that is not so great. Don't kill yourself counting calories or doing that stuff - your goal should be about health, not meeting numbers.

It's human nature. Just don't go past a 10% limit...once every few months is fine, there is a reason fast food places are everywhere - they are easy and convienent. Just don't rely or over indulge - don't combo, just get one thing with a drink. I have fast food once a month, I've lost 26 pounds via p90x during the last two months.

shim

Neo Member
Alucrid said:
Shit dude. I would love to try P90X....it's just that I hate working out with other people in the house/apartment/room/whatever. That's why the only exercise I tend to do is go running. Maybe when I get my own place or when I stop working or something. Anyways awesome progress.

I know what you mean, with the new job I'm not able to keep doing p90x, but I figure I've worked out long enough to make up my own exercises and build my own routine now. I think P90x helped gauge what intensity I should be working out with. Always had ups and downs with weight, but I think I'm finally in control.

Weight In Update from Yesterday:
-2.8 lb for the week

Aug 9 2010: 281.4
Sept 27 2010: 258.6

2 months next week.

This week will be interesting though, its my Birthday tomorrow and I expect some cheating days this week. But if I can at least maintain the current loss it would be good.

Domino Theory said:
So what's the verdict on having drinks that contain Aspartame when on a low-carb lifestyle? I found some awesome fruit flavored sparkling water at my local Safeway and noticed that they contain Aspartame so I'm hesitant to buy them again.

i have a similar question. i drink ones but they have splenda instead of aspartame, im getting tired of water. if i also drink some of these carbonated water drinks will that mess up the weight loss that goes with a low carb diet?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
After steadily losing ~10 pounds a month for 5 months, I have held steady at around 168 for the entire month of September without changing anything except drinking some alcohol on weekends, which I didn't do during the spring and summer. So that's extra calories, but I tried to compensate by eating less on those days. I have plateaued I guess. I want to get down to 160 before I start buying new clothes in earnest. Anyone else encounter this situation?

Starting the 1st stage of Atkins in a few weeks, but I'm looking at foods to buy for the month.

Quick question - how do you count Net Carbs on the food labels? Is it the Carbs (of Sugars)?

I've got a question, GAF. I have been a rabid paleodiet eater for about a year or two

24 years of age, exercise fairly regularly, strength mainly

I had some blood test done and it came up with this results

Cholesterol
Total 145
HDL 20
LDL 112
VLDL 13
Triglycerides 64

I am worried that my cholesterol is dangerously low, as my HDL. My VLDL is low enough though and I can live with that.

What can I do to up my HDL and overall cholesterol level? Or am I alright.

BronzeWolf said:
I've got a question, GAF. I have been a rabid paleodiet eater for about a year or two

24 years of age, exercise fairly regularly, strength mainly

I had some blood test done and it came up with this results

Cholesterol
Total 145
HDL 20
LDL 112
VLDL 13
Triglycerides 64

I am worried that my cholesterol is dangerously low, as my HDL. My VLDL is low enough though and I can live with that.

What can I do to up my HDL and overall cholesterol level? Or am I alright.

HDL is pretty low.

1. Do you get sun/take vitamin D3? HDL often goes up with adequate vitamin D intake.

2. Are you eating enough saturated fat? The more unsaturated your fat, the lower your HDL. I'd aim for roughly equal amounts of saturated/monounsaturated fat while limiting Omega 6 polyunsaturated fat.

3. Are you eating fatty fish or taking fish oil? Omega 3s can increase HDL (and lower triglycerides, which already look pretty good).

4. Exercise - maybe throw in some sprint workouts, hikes, or long walks in addition to the strength training.

5. Do you ever fast? Throwing in some intermittent fasting (perhaps before workouts) can raise HDL (and generally improve lipid numbers all around).

6. Do you take magnesium supplements, or eat lots of leafy greens like kale, chard, or spinach? Magnesium can improve HDL. Just avoid magnesium oxide (the cheap supplements) in favor of magnesium citrate, aspartate, or basically anything ending in "ate." I like Natural Calm myself.

7. How's your sleep/stress? High cortisol can negatively affect cholesterol, too.

Price Dalton said:
1. Do you get sun/take vitamin D3?[/URL]

I take 3 D3 trader joe's pills a day (not D2)

Price Dalton said:
2. Are you eating enough saturated fat?
I eat meat everyday

Price Dalton said:
3. Are you eating fatty fish or taking fish oil? Omega 3s can increase HDL (and lower triglycerides, which already look pretty good).

I take 3 Omega3 pills a day, plenty of fish

Price Dalton said:
4. Exercise - maybe throw in some sprint workouts, hikes, or long walks in addition to the strength training.

I admit my cardio isn't as tight as it could be. I do sprints once a week or so

5. Do you ever fast? Throwing in some intermittent fasting (perhaps before workouts) can raise HDL (and generally improve lipid numbers all around).

I eat all the time

Price Dalton said:
6. Do you take magnesium supplements, or eat lots of leafy greens like kale, chard, or spinach? Magnesium can improve HDL. Just avoid magnesium oxide (the cheap supplements) in favor of magnesium citrate, aspartate, or basically anything ending in "ate." I like Natural Calm myself.

I admit my leafy greens is a little bit lacking

Price Dalton said:
7. How's your sleep/stress? High cortisol can negatively affect cholesterol, too.

It's cool!

I have been dehydrated though. In fact I was taken the blood test because I was hospitalized this weekend. Kidney stone

I will look for some old pictures of me, this thread is reaaaally lacking pics. Though I must admit that I´m been exercising less due to my job. Gotta fix that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
BronzeWolf said:

I eat meat everyday

How much vitamin D is that in IU? Guidelines still say 400 IU, but most research in the past 10 years is pointing to 2,000-10,000 IU daily being ideal.

Other than that, I don't see any huge flaws in your diet that would cause that.

Try eating bacon and eggs for a while? Maybe try asking a doctor? I wonder if doctors even get concerned about that with all of the statin propaganda telling us to lower cholesterol.

But your cholesterol is very low and you probably need to get it up to 220. Lower than 150 is highly correlated with increased mortality. In particular stroke and cancer.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Domino Theory said:
Thanks for the help and tips. The next time I go for a blood test, I'll make sure to check my levels of Vitamin D.

Ask for the numbers. Normal levels by today's standards will be grossly deficient in a few years.

BronzeWolf said:

Bump it up to 5 (5000 IU). Might try getting sun, too.

I eat meat everyday

What is the meat cooked in? If you eat out, it's probably cooked in crappy vegetable oil (unless you ask for butter or lard). Can you post a sample 3-day eating regimen?

I take 3 Omega3 pills a day, plenty of fish

Cool.

I admit my cardio isn't as tight as it could be. I do sprints once a week or so

Sprinting once a week is probably plenty. Maybe toss in a long walk or two?

I eat all the time

Try IF. Go at least 16 hours in between meals, twice a week, preferably before workouts.

I admit my leafy greens is a little bit lacking

Yeah, try to eat some fibrous leafy greens on a regular basis. Or just get that magnesium supplementation going.

It's cool!

I have been dehydrated though. In fact I was taken the blood test because I was hospitalized this weekend. Kidney stone

Hmm, not sure what to say. Try the fasting, the magnesium, and make sure you aren't eating much, if any, vegetable oil. As long you feel good, though, you're probably cool. How you look, feel, and perform are the most important health markers.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Two questions:

a) I'm currently part of an Indoor Cycling class and the coach for said class told everyone that "you have a 20-30 minute window of time after our Cycling workout is over to replenish your muscles with protein, carbs, etc. If you don't, your body will start to eat at your own muscle for that energy." Would this still hold true if I was consistently weight-lifting every week (4 times a week, to be exact). Wouldn't my body just eat at my own fat instead?

b) Is it a good idea to fast once a week for any reason?

what is the problem with veggie oil???? something I have missed on my low carb diet - ive been using it to cook with.

also, I had a cheeseburger and a couple pieces of fruit loaf toast (raisin bread) this morning as I was feeling so flat from swimming 2km yesterday.

how do low-carbers manage the big workouts without any big carb splurge?? I cant last more than about 2 or 3 days, dont think I can get into ketosis cause I am too knackered.

ch0mp

chicko1983 said:
what is the problem with veggie oil???? something I have missed on my low carb diet - ive been using it to cook with.

also, I had a cheeseburger and a couple pieces of fruit loaf toast (raisin bread) this morning as I was feeling so flat from swimming 2km yesterday.

The way they are extracted and processed, the omega 6-omega 3 ratio, trans fats in some of them.

I use ev olive oil for low temp cooking, and coconut for higher temps (butter in my eggs cause it's delicious).

how do low-carbers manage the big workouts without any big carb splurge?? I cant last more than about 2 or 3 days, dont think I can get into ketosis cause I am too knackered.
You have to go a while without a large amount of carbs before your body will adapt.

Here is a snapshot of my current progress. I picked up a Withings WiFi Scale and I love the brainless way that it lets me keep tabs of my progress. I'm 38 years old and 5'7". I hope to be in the best shape of my life before I turn 40.

I started working out and eating better in July of 2009. I took a few months off from working out around December of 2009. Luckily, I didn't do too much damage to my progress from Dec '09 to Jul '10. I started working out again in Jul '10 and really kicked up the diet and exercise part of my routine this August.

Thanks to all the posters. I have found some great info and inspiration in this thread.

WiScale.jpg

Rubenov

SteveZissou said:
Here is a snapshot of my current progress. I picked up a Withings WiFi Scale and I love the brainless way that it lets me keep tabs of my progress. I'm 38 years old and 5'7". I hope to be in the best shape of my life before I turn 40.

I started working out and eating better in July of 2009. I took a few months off from working out around December of 2009. Luckily, I didn't do too much damage to my progress from Dec '09 to Jul '10. I started working out again in Jul '10 and really kicked up the diet and exercise part of my routine this August.

Thanks to all the posters. I have found some great info and inspiration in this thread.

WiScale.jpg

Good job; keep it up!

Yaweee

I've reached a nice place with my weight. Depending on what I eat or drink and how much I process over the course of a week, my weight fluctuates between 168 and 174. I'm happy with that (I'm 5'9"). 25~30 pounds lost and kept off, even after reducing exercise.

Alucard

Banned
I'm at around 253. I wanted to be down to 250 before the end of the September, but this is close enough. I've now lost 14 pounds in 3 months. I'm really going to try to drop at least six pounds in October and get down to 247, at which point I'll take some comparison pics. Still have dozens of pounds to go, but I'm satisfied with my progress so far.

Akim

Banned
Alucard said:
I'm at around 253. I wanted to be down to 250 before the end of the September, but this is close enough. I've now lost 14 pounds in 3 months. I'm really going to try to drop at least six pounds in October and get down to 247, at which point I'll take some comparison pics. Still have dozens of pounds to go, but I'm satisfied with my progress so far.

I'm right around where you are and I'm trying to get to around 200. Good luck man.

ccbfan

My diet has officially hit the next phase.

I've hit my target weight of 165 (I'm 6 ft)

I'm now trying to add more muscle and probably get my weight up to 170.

For my diet I plan on eating like I do now but like eat more protein here and there. Maybe start up on a protein shake (Any recommendations?)

My work routine is what needs to change most.

When I was in lose weight mode. I worked out 5 times a week.

Doing like

1 hour cardio usually burning like 600-900 calories. I mixed long distance and sprint together using bike, eliptical and treadmill.
45 minutes on weights (Bench, biceps, triceps, chest, back, legs)
15 minutes on abs

The weights I was doing wasn't really high. So I basically did them every day.

Obviously

This needs to change probably less cardio and more weights to build muscle.

Any suggestions?

Yoboman

Domino Theory said:
Two questions:

a) I'm currently part of an Indoor Cycling class and the coach for said class told everyone that "you have a 20-30 minute window of time after our Cycling workout is over to replenish your muscles with protein, carbs, etc. If you don't, your body will start to eat at your own muscle for that energy." Would this still hold true if I was consistently weight-lifting every week (4 times a week, to be exact). Wouldn't my body just eat at my own fat instead?

b) Is it a good idea to fast once a week for any reason?
Are you lifting with fat or with muscles?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
shim said:
2rrw86t.jpg

edit: didn't realize imageshack was banned, changed to tiny pic
Dude, I'm like a skinny version of the "new" you. what do you eat? I work out 5 days a week (my job, not by choice) and im still skinny. I'm toned, just no mass.

I guess I should go for more whey protein, but the funds are not always there to get such things.

Bad_Boy said:
Dude, I'm like a skinny version of the "new" you. what do you eat? I work out 5 days a week (my job, not by choice) and im still skinny. I'm toned, just no mass.

I guess I should go for more whey protein, but the funds are not always there to get such things.

EAT MORE

Do compounds

I would head to the fitness thread, they know their stuff

shim

Neo Member
Bad_Boy said:

Whey does get expensive, but it's the best substitute if you can't eat tons of chicken, eggs, turkey, etc.
I try to eat a lean protein source with each meal.

Sample Day
breakfast - 1/2 cup Oatmeal + can of tuna ( or protein shake)
lunch - 6" turkey or chicken breast sub from subway (no mayo or cheese) + diet coke + baked/light chips
dinner - baked/grilled chicken breast or other lean protein (lightly salted, or marinated) + veggies (broccoli, asparagus) etc.
Before bed - Caesin protein or 1/2 cup cottage cheese with fruit (tastes nasty, but it's important to have slow digesting caesin protein feeding your body through the night)
That's pretty much it, had an occasional cheat meal on the weekends.

The guy I'm working out with sounds like you, he can't gain weight not matter what he eats. What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you doing cardio? Are you incorporating compound exercises (bench/deadlift/squat/etc)?
But the solution is the most simple. Eat eat eat. Lift lift lift.
1. Calculate your maintenance caloric intake.
2. Eat +500 calories (clean food) of that amount
3. Do that for a week and see if you see any mass gains.
good luck.

Bad_Boy said:

If money's an issue, milk is a cheap way to get protein.

Top Bottom