• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Akim

Banned
Well, I weighed in again today.

September 15: 253
October 1: 244

Still losing pretty steadily. I decided to cheat today as a reward. I ate 2 big pieces of stuffed garlic pizza. I don't even know why I cheat, it's almost not worth it as I feel so fucking guilty afterward :(

LFG

Neophyte
Akim said:
Still losing pretty steadily. I decided to cheat today as a reward. I ate 2 big pieces of stuffed garlic pizza. I don't even know why I cheat, it's almost not worth it as I feel so fucking guilty afterward :(

i cheated twice last week and still lost 2.5lbs. don't feel too bad about it. i'd only feel bad about cheating if i gained weight instead of losing it. keep up your progress!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
chicko1983 said:
what is the problem with veggie oil???? something I have missed on my low carb diet - ive been using it to cook with.

Excessive inflammation has always been strongly associated with insulin resistance, obesity, and other hallmarks of the metabolic syndrome. It figures into pretty much everything we do and everything we experience. Lifting heavy things and breaking down muscle fibers elicits an inflammatory response. It’s beneficial if we do enough, but harmful if we do too much. Inflammation helps heal wounds; it’s how our body responds to stressors. Too much inflammation can cause disease, but inadequate amounts can also be dangerous. Leading a healthy, productive existence, then, requires finding a balance between pro-and-anti-inflammatory states. The average SAD eater dealing with stress induces entirely too much stress on his or her body, so we can safely assume that pro-inflammatory states are the issue here.

Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is one of the more potent agents of the body’s inflammatory response. This particular cytokine is well-known for mediating fevers and managing the acute phase response of our immune system. When tissue concentrations of fat are weighted toward omega-6 (like most people eating a modern diet high in omega-6 fats), excessive amounts of IL-6 are created in the inflammatory response. IL-6 is necessary, sure, but (surprise, surprise) too much is dangerous. Remember, these aren’t intelligent micro-organisms making decisions based on your welfare; they’re simply doing what they’re programmed to do by the signals you help provide. If you unleash a horde of IL-6, they’re going to wreak havoc because that’s what they’re supposed to do. Everything has a reaction, of course, and the body’s reaction to IL-6 (especially large amounts of it) is to release something called suppressor of cytokine signaling (SOCS), which is designed to downregulate cytokine activity once the job is done.

SOCS-3, a variety of SOCS, has an interesting relationship to leptin. After leptin has been secreted and runs its course, SOCS-3 is released to bind to the leptin receptor and downregulate leptin signaling. This is normal, physiological leptin resistance; it’s not necessarily pathological. Mice without the genes for SOCS-3 synthesis, for example, are remarkably sensitive to leptin, and obese, hyperleptinemic, leptin-resistant rats were given SOCS-3 inhibitors (an inhibitor of a suppressant; is that a double negative?) to increase fat burning and lose weight. But when you’ve got a guy or gal eating a terrible diet and leading an unhealthy lifestyle with high tissue concentrations of omega-6 fatty acids, suffering from steady levels of systemic inflammation which release tons of IL-6 and leptin receptor-binding SOCS-3, leptin resistance becomes pathological.

Not so much vegetable oil as industrialized oil from grains/seeds and legumes. Olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil are all fine. Soybean, corn, rapeseed, cottonseed not good.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/further-adventures-with-leptin/

Full article has references.

Basically too much omega 6 and too little omega 3 can cause leptin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

Two general rules to follow when trying to eat/live healthy:

1. Did our ancestors eat it? If not, you probably shouldn't either as it wasn't part of the diet that humans ate for hundreds of thousands of years with evolution through natural selection crafting the digestive system and metabolism. The idea that cavemen/paleo ancestors were unhealthy is a misconception. If you go to an anthropology lab and compare pre agriculutural revolution skeletons with post there are several differences. The easiest ones to spot visually is that paleo humans were over a foot taller and had nearly perfect teeth.

The idea that meat, fat, vegetables, fruit, and nuts are unhealthy is in total conflict with the theory of evolution. Both cannot be true.

2. Shop on the edge of the grocery store.

This thread is so inspiring. After lurking for years on GAF my renewed inspiration for losing weight has come from this thread and the Weightlifting thread.

The problem I have is finding a choice of foods to eat and when to eat them. I hear timed meals are important?

Zantetsuken said:
This thread is so inspiring. After lurking for years on GAF my renewed inspiration for losing weight has come from this thread and the Weightlifting thread.

The problem I have is finding a choice of foods to eat and when to eat them. I hear timed meals are important?

While having an intake schedule is recommended, and helpful to not only maintaining weight but proper digestion, it's not always possible.
Just try and eat healthier, sensible portions as you can and as you need.
There's a lot of recommendations for diet plans and programs throughout the thread, just choose one that works with you and see if it does anything.

AceBandage said:
While having an intake schedule is recommended, and helpful to not only maintaining weight but proper digestion, it's not always possible.
Just try and eat healthier, sensible portions as you can and as you need.
There's a lot of recommendations for diet plans and programs throughout the thread, just choose one that works with you and see if it does anything.

Thanks for the reply! The problem I have now is I wasn't fed many vegetables or anything like that when I was little, so now I have a hard time eating them. I'm trying to find some vegetables with flavor and most that will boost my metabolism and overall health, which is probably all of them. lol

LFG

Neophyte
Zantetsuken said:
Thanks for the reply! The problem I have now is I wasn't fed many vegetables or anything like that when I was little, so now I have a hard time eating them. I'm trying to find some vegetables with flavor and most that will boost my metabolism and overall health, which is probably all of them. lol

i've been using parmesan cheese to add flavoring to my veggies. i never loved vegetables, so what i've done is found a few that i can tolerate and just work those into recipes or dinners when possible. i even asked in a post not too long ago about getting burned out on eating them :lol my personal favs right now are spinach, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli. occasionally i'll have some yellow squash.

teh_pwn

Zantetsuken said:

Vegetables are awesome, but you need to have good recipes, quality/fresh/seasonal ingredients, and know how to cook it.

Here's a spaghetti/Italian meal without the toxic gluten/WGA/lectin/sugar bomb grains that's pretty easy to do:
1. 1 lb of grass fed beef
OR
1 lb of extra lean conventional beef with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil

Cook the beef on medium low until it's about completely brown.

Then add:

2. White onion.
3. Green bell pepper
4. Fresh garlic.

5. Cook that a few minutes, then add some good tomato sauce. Not that the junk made of rotten vegetables and sugar that you're probably used to. For example, La Famiglia Delgrosso Sunday Marinara is fantastic. Expensive, but just buy and and taste it and you'll understand why. The tomatoes they use are as ripe of the home grown stuff.

Slow cook at low for about 20 minutes, stirring it every few minutes.

ShinNL

Quick Atkins question: I'm supposed to see a positive on ketose strips (piss sticks) when I'm trying to go for ketosis, right?

Domino Theory said:
So what's the verdict on having drinks that contain Aspartame when on a low-carb lifestyle? I found some awesome fruit flavored sparkling water at my local Safeway and noticed that they contain Aspartame so I'm hesitant to buy them again.

goldenticket said:
i have a similar question. i drink ones but they have splenda instead of aspartame, im getting tired of water. if i also drink some of these carbonated water drinks will that mess up the weight loss that goes with a low carb diet?

reposting to try to get an answer

goldenticket said:

It was answered, but I'll sum up the answers.

The chemicals that the body breaks Aspartame into are expelled before they can really be absorbed.
The only downside is some people claim they make you crave sweets, but this can't be proven and I've personally never had that problem.

goldenticket said:
thanks. i must have missed it
Depending on the person, your body may have an insulin response to it. In the same way your body can have anticipatory reactions before the actual chemical stimulus (salivate in preparation for sour food), there is probably a small percentage of people who have this effect with sweet taste receptors in the brain. After your body has hardwired itself for so long to have certain reactions that begin with your brain and taste receptors, it shouldn't be surprising that this can happen.
I can't find the article that I read this in, but it's unproven, and even if true, probably true for a small percentage of people. It makes sense though that it's possible.

Fireye

Low-carb isn't working well for me, there was a week of quick loss, and then it stopped dead. My blood pressure has gone down, and I feel better, but it isn't delivering on the weight loss. I'm going to go for a checkup to get my HDL/LDL measured, and then after that, I'm going to go back to a reduced carb (<100g/day) diet, and keeping a closer eye on calories.

It's fun to be able to eat what I previously identified as unhealthy, but it just isn't delivering the results I want.

Fireye said:
Low-carb isn't working well for me, there was a week of quick loss, and then it stopped dead. My blood pressure has gone down, and I feel better, but it isn't delivering on the weight loss. I'm going to go for a checkup to get my HDL/LDL measured, and then after that, I'm going to go back to a reduced carb (<100g/day) diet, and keeping a closer eye on calories.

It's fun to be able to eat what I previously identified as unhealthy, but it just isn't delivering the results I want.
How long have you done it? altering body chemistry is not a 2-3 week process, whatever kind of diet you're trying.

Fireye

elrechazao said:
How long have you done it? altering body chemistry is not a 2-3 week process, whatever kind of diet you're trying.

It's been about a month. I'm not saying that it isn't a good healthy diet, just that it might not be the best for my purpose of losing weight.

I feel better. My blood pressure is lower. I'm betting my cholesterol profile will be healthier. I probably will return to a similar diet after I achieve or approach my goal weight, but I don't think it's going to be the best way to get me there.

threenote said:
This thread should be re-named to "The Low-Carb Thread."

Everyone loses weight differently, but a low carb lifestyle is certainly one of the easier methods that is most effective.
It makes sense that it is talked about the most.
I never went on the extreme low carb diet, but cutting out soda, fast food and most sweets (and doing some cardio/work out), I lost 50 pounds in less than a year.

Fireye

AceBandage said:
I never went on the extreme low carb diet, but cutting out soda, fast food and most sweets (and doing some cardio/work out), I lost 50 pounds in less than a year.

I've been drinking diet soda for ages. Fast food and starches are my vices. <3 fries. <3 beans. <3 flour based products.

I was the exact same way.
But a few months of being off them, and I lost all desire.
Even when I do splurge on a soda every few months, it just does nothing but make me feel weird.
Though, I do still enjoy fries, just baked. Still delicious.

goldenticket said:

Splenda (sucralose) has been shown to negatively impact beneficial gut flora (in rats, albeit at normal human-like doses), so I avoid it. It's not clear whether the same thing occurs in humans, but I don't even like the stuff anyway.

Fireye, what does an average day of eating look like? Are you making your own food or eating out?

teh_pwn

Fireye said:

Try:
-Paleo diet

-Supplementing 5k-10k IU vitamin D3 daily. Balances immune system preventing autoimmune/inflammation and increases insulin sensitivity.

-Get some Carlson's fish oil and get about 1 gram of omega 3 per 10 lbs of body weight (if your body fat is high in omega 6, you may temporarily need a higher ideal ratio of n3:n6...ie 1.5:1 instead of 1:2). Keeps inflammation down.

-Make sure you're getting 8-9 hours of quality sleep (pitch black, no noise) so your growth hormone is up and your cortisol is down

-Probiotics

-Weight training, interval training, and rest

Fireye

Price Dalton said:
Splenda (sucralose) has been shown to negatively impact beneficial gut flora (in rats, albeit at normal human-like doses), so I avoid it. It's not clear whether the same thing occurs in humans, but I don't even like the stuff anyway.

Fireye, what does an average day of eating look like? Are you making your own food or eating out?

Rarely eating out. Usually it's sausage and eggs for breakfast, giant (as in, the grocery) salad bar for lunch w/ romaine&spring mix, hard boiled egg, and brocolli. Also will sometimes get a half chicken, or heat up two Morningstar Farms griller prime veggie burgers (4carb/per). Dinner is usually some form of meat and veggies. Could be a pork chop, or a steak, or chicken. For veggies, it's usually salad w/ dressing, some tomato, some red onion.

Edit: Oh, and almonds for snacks, with some pork rinds.

teh_pwn said:
Try:
-Supplementing 5k-10k IU vitamin D3 daily. Balances immune system preventing autoimmune/inflammation and increases insulin sensitivity.

The upper recommended FDA limit on VitaminD is 2000IU. I've just picked up 2000IU tablets last week and started on 'em. Can you show any benefit for such high levels of D3?

-Get some Carlson's fish oil and get about 1 gram of omega 3 per 10 lbs of body weight (if your body fat is high in omega 6, you may temporarily need a higher ideal ratio of n3:n6...ie 1.5:1 instead of 1:2). Keeps inflammation down.

I've been taking Flax Oil with my lunch salads, about a TBSP or two.

-Make sure you're getting 8-9 hours of quality sleep (pitch black, no noise) so your growth hormone is up and your cortisol is down

-Weight training, interval training, and rest

No problem on either of these, been doing weight training for about three weeks now. By the time I finish, I'm a bit tired to do intervals, but I do some cardio. Sleep is no problem at all.

teh_pwn

goldenticket said:

I'm bigger on Paleo now (which happens to be lower carb), so personally I would avoid it. If phytates, lectins, and gluten from naturally occurring grains can wreak so much havoc on the human digestive system (because it didn't evolve for it), I'm cautious about artificial stuff. I mean you taste the sweet. I suspect there is a biological response to that sweet taste; that it primes the body to expect sweets. I don't have any solid science to back this up, so take it as a grain of salt.

teh_pwn

Fireye said:
Rarely eating out. Usually it's sausage and eggs for breakfast, giant (as in, the grocery) salad bar for lunch w/ romaine&spring mix, hard boiled egg, and brocolli. Also will sometimes get a half chicken, or heat up two Morningstar Farms griller prime veggie burgers (4carb/per). Dinner is usually some form of meat and veggies. Could be a pork chop, or a steak, or chicken. For veggies, it's usually salad w/ dressing, some tomato, some red onion.

What dressing do you use? Almost all premade stuff is omega 6 sugary soup. I make my own with olive oil, vinegar, and herbs.

Looks like your omega3:eek:mega6 ratio is 1:8 or so. Supplement 10 grams of fish oil daily.

Fireye

teh_pwn said:
What dressing do you use? Almost all premade stuff is omega 6 sugary soup. I make my own with olive oil, vinegar, and herbs.

Looks like your omega3:eek:mega6 ratio is 1:8 or so. Supplement 10 grams of fish oil daily.

Trader Joe's dressing usually. Their greek dressing, or their "Annie's Goddess" knockoff dressing. I just picked up a big thing of Annie's goddess dressing to try out.

I'll see if I can pick up some fish oil on sale, maybe that'll help.

today is the last day from my break of the diet.

It is a bit of a eating bender of sorts and I did drink about 3L of beer and a bottle of vodka yesterday (luckily I threw it up, not proud of myself).

After two months I just needed a break from the low carb life for a few days in order to refocus and be a bit more strict with the low-carb starting Monday (I had plateaued a bit in the last month, only losing about 2lbs after losing about 8lbs in the first month).

teh_pwn

Fireye said:
Trader Joe's dressing usually. Their greek dressing, or their "Annie's Goddess" knockoff dressing. I just picked up a big thing of Annie's goddess dressing to try out.

I'll see if I can pick up some fish oil on sale, maybe that'll help.

For the fish oil, you'll want to order something like carlson's online. Pills are too expensive, and brick/mortar stores will charge you double for the liquid stuff.

Annie's Goddess looks to be canola. Better than soybean, but still pretty bad.

Fireye

teh_pwn said:
For the fish oil, you'll want to order something like carlson's online. Pills are too expensive, and brick/mortar stores will charge you double for the liquid stuff.

I've gotten past most of my disliked foods, but seafood and fish still bug the piss out of me. I tolerate the fish oil capsules because they're tasteless. Is there a similar thing for liquid fish oil?

Fireye said:
I've gotten past most of my disliked foods, but seafood and fish still bug the piss out of me. I tolerate the fish oil capsules because they're tasteless. Is there a similar thing for liquid fish oil?

Carlson's lemon flavored oil tastes pretty good, just barely fishy (if you're looking for it). My wife, who hates fish, doesn't mind it.

As for D3, here's a study showing that 4000IU is perfectly tolerable.

Here's an entire list of studies showing the connection between D3 and obesity. Search around that site for other benefits, if you're interested (cancer, heart disease, to name a couple).

I'd go at least 4k IU.

just put D3 tablets on my shopping list...

my diet is going to be:

- bacon and egg for breakfast
- a wholemeal roll with salad and ham for lunch (this meal will be my only carbs of the day)
- steak or chicken for dinner (no sides)

I will also do 45mins of cardio a day (alternating between running and swimming).

Additionally, try and increase the amount of sleep I am getting (only about 7hrs tops at the moment).

what do you guys think of my plan?

I know talk is cheap but in the 2 months previous to this, I was skipping breakfast and no roll just salad and chicken for lunch. After the exercise, I was way too hungry and became really tired.

teh_pwn

Fireye said:
The upper recommended FDA limit on VitaminD is 2000IU. I've just picked up 2000IU tablets last week and started on 'em. Can you show any benefit for such high levels of D3?

Old science, baseless limit. Really isn't a practical level to get vitamin D toxicity.

The big area of interest in medical research is vitamin D. Does way more than bones. It's not really a vitamin, it's a pro-hormone. Your body makes about 20,000 IU from blood cholesterol (like other hormones, that stuff those statin commercials tell you to reduce...ugh) in response to 30 minutes sunlight (depending on the UV index and your skin pigmentation).

They're finding that vitamin D is essential to balancing the attacking side of the immune system with the identification side. Many people today have a stronger attacking side which leads to autoimmune disorders (lupus, arthritis, rosacea, vitiligo, hashimotos, MS, and on and on).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1t9WqOD-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFgy8RkWO0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsyaYNX1dw

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100715172042.htm
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1660642,00.html

If there's any quackery, it's the 2,000 IU limit and the 400 IU recommendation. I mean are they trying to get people to lather themselves in sunscreen and get cancer and rickets?

And it passes the reality test...at least mine. If the theory of evolution is true, if skin pigmentation changes the amount of vitamin D that is produced, if vitamin D is crucial to human health, and if the UV index varies around the world, then lighter skinned natives should live in lower UV index areas. Indeed that is the case.

chicko1983 said:

my diet is going to be:

- a wholemeal roll with salad and ham for lunch (this meal will be my only carbs of the day)

I will also do 45mins of cardio a day (alternating between running and swimming).

Additionally, try and increase the amount of sleep I am getting (only about 7hrs tops at the moment).

I know talk is cheap but in the 2 months previous to this, I was skipping breakfast and no roll just salad and chicken for lunch. After the exercise, I was way too hungry and became really tired.

Make sure you get D3 oil caplets. It's a fat soluble vitamin, and the dry tabs aren't as effective.

I'd skip the roll and go for a yam, sweet potato, squash, or white potato instead.

Skipping breakfast is totally fine. Just make sure you do a carb refeed after training. In fact, training on an empty stomach is a good way to burn body fat - that's essentially why we store it, after all.

Price Dalton said:
Make sure you get D3 oil caplets. It's a fat soluble vitamin, and the dry tabs aren't as effective.

I'd skip the roll and go for a yam, sweet potato, squash, or white potato instead.

Skipping breakfast is totally fine. Just make sure you do a carb refeed after training. In fact, training on an empty stomach is a good way to burn body fat - that's essentially why we store it, after all.

cool, Ill make sure to get the caplets.

Yeah I was skipping breakfast and then my lunch, although healthy, was getting pretty big (I was eating 1/4 roast chicken and three serves of salad).

I must have been eating too many calories at lunch as I was only see very small amounts of weight loss (2lbs in the last month).

The roll is an easy option as I will get it at the deli where my workmates and I go to for lunch. I don't want to bring in my lunch as I enjoy the break from the office and going for the walk with my workmates.

I dont think my calorie intake would be high based on the above diet but hopefully I will be a bit less hungry and more energetic.

teh_pwn

chicko1983 said:

my diet is going to be:

If you need starches, I'd go with potatoes.

If you do 45 mins of cardio, take breaks and make sure it's interval. Don't just grind on a treadmill or elliptical.

teh_pwn said:
If you need starches, I'd go with potatoes.

If you do 45 mins of cardio, take breaks and make sure it's interval. Don't just grind on a treadmill or elliptical.

hmm, my cardio has been just jogging for 45mins or swimming 2kms straight with no break.

I thought long cardio is good for weight loss?

Also, hopefully will add a couple of weights sessions in a week (my bro, his mate and I try to get to the gym a couple of times a week but we have been slack lately, hopefully this will improve)

Fireye

chicko1983 said:
hmm, my cardio has been just jogging for 45mins or swimming 2kms straight with no break.

Also, hopefully will add a couple of weights sessions in a week (my bro, his mate and I try to get to the gym a couple of times a week but we have been slack lately, hopefully this will improve)

It's good for heart health in theory. Intervals or intense training will give better weight loss/muscle gain.

YagizY

Has anyone ever done weight watchers? I was thinking about signing up for it. I've done the whole low carb thing in the pass but I had trouble sticking with it.

teh_pwn

chicko1983 said:

As long as you don't get injured, long cardio can be good for weight loss. But significant amounts won't be fat that you're losing.

The amount of calories that you burn during cardio is pretty small compared to resting metabolism. The benefit of exercise in regards to fat loss is:
-Activating genes. For example, there's a gene that increases the amount of GLUT4 that you can use, and GLUT4 is sort of a way to feed muscle tissue glucose independent of insulin.
-Increase insulin sensitivity, which indirectly makes leptin more effective (feel full with less food)
-Increase growth hormone

If you overtrain you defeat the point of the exercise by causing cortisol to increase. Cortisol will waste away lean tissue and increase hunger. Cortisol is the stress hormone. Also a problem if you don't get enough sleep, which is why sleep deprived people tend to overeat.

I also mentioned interval training because it's been shown in studies to increase performance and increase fat loss faster than a single intensity exercise.

I upped my fish oil consumption to 2 grams a day using this calculator

http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

I am taking about 24 fish oil pills a day! XD what a fucking joke pills are. Liquid is so much better

I went from feeling shitty to feeling great in about 24 hours flat! Pretty fucking amazing thing!

Also D3 is awesome.

Seriously, feeling sooo much better now

BronzeWolf said:
I upped my fish oil consumption to 2 grams a day using this calculator

http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

I am taking about 24 fish oil pills a day! XD what a fucking joke pills are. Liquid is so much better

I went from feeling shitty to feeling great in about 24 hours flat! Pretty fucking amazing thing!

Also D3 is awesome.

Seriously, feeling sooo much better now
"I upped my mercury consumption per day by 1000%!"

I also want to warn people that your objective should not be weight loss per ser, but fat loss.

Long distance running will make you thinner. But it will also make you a whole lot weaker and make losing weight even harder if you train it really hard.

Weights + Sprints is the best combination IMO

BronzeWolf said:
I also want to warn people that your objective should not be weight loss per ser, but fat loss.

Long distance running will make you thinner. But it will also make you a whole lot weaker and make losing weight even harder if you train it really hard.

Weights + Sprints is the best combination IMO

OK, I will try to do interval training a bit more.

I wanted to do the long cardio in order to run long distance which I enjoy. I think I will do the swimming as interval training and but keep the running as 45min straight.

And as I said, hopefully I will get into the gym a couple of time a week as well.

And also get fish oil caplets.

Top Bottom