• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Post Office and kind of enjoyed it actually. Definitely going to read another Bukowski somewhen. Right now something entirely different, Frank Schätzing's The Swarm.

The_swarm_us_cover.jpg

FWIW, The Emperor of All Maladies won the Pulitzer, and PBS is turning it into a docu-miniseries. It was a fascinating book, for sure.

BigAT

I just finished up reading Hyperion.

books

I enjoyed it far less than I expected given how often I see it talked about. The short stories by themselves were solid for the most part, but almost everything surrounding them was pretty tough to get through.

Any recommendations one way or the other on the sequels? I'm kind of interested to see how things end up, but not if the books dip in quality.

Mumei

books

I enjoyed it far less than I expected given how often I see it talked about. The short stories by themselves were solid for the most part, but almost everything surrounding them was pretty tough to get through.

Any recommendations one way or the other on the sequels? I'm kind of interested to see how things end up, but not if the books dip in quality.

My understanding of the consensus is that the next book is worth it, and the two after that are not.

phoenixyz

My understanding of the consensus is that the next book is worth it, and the two after that are not.
Yes! The two Endymion books are terrible imo. They ruin most of the things established in Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. I would recommend reading Fall of Hyperion and not touching the other two.

Fjordson

books

Hmmm. I think the second book (Fall of Hyperion) is great, but the first book is one of my all-time favourites. So while the sequel wasn't as good, I still enjoyed it.

If you weren't crazy about Hyperion, then it's tough to say how much you'll enjoy the second book. The Cantebury Tales inspiration with the various short stories is mostly eschewed in favor of a more conventional structure.

But either way, I wouldn't recommend anything beyond Fall of Hyperion. The first two books present a complete story with closure that I really enjoyed. The books after that were a big let down for me and felt unnecessary.

BigAT

Yes! The two Endymion books are terrible imo. They ruin most of the things established in Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. I would recommend reading Fall of Hyperion and not touching the other two.

Hmmm. I think the second book (Fall of Hyperion) is great, but the first book is one of my all-time favourites. So while the sequel wasn't as good, I still enjoyed it.

If you weren't crazy about Hyperion, then it's tough to say how much you'll enjoy the second book. The Cantebury Tales inspiration with the various short stories is mostly eschewed in favor of a more conventional structure.

But either way, I wouldn't recommend anything beyond Fall of Hyperion. The first two books present a complete story with closure that I really enjoyed. The books after that were a big let down for me and felt unnecessary.

Thanks for the input. I might read Fall of Hyperion just to see the story to its conclusion, although I'm also considering just reading a synopsis at this point. Definitely passing on the other books though.

Tuck

I just finished Memories of Ice in the Malazan series of books. Incredible read - loved it.

Started the fourth book in the series, House of Chains. The author introduced a new character and the first 300 pages are devoted soley to him. This wouldn't be a problem except the character is an arrogant dick who goes out and rapes/kills people for fun, obsesses over glory and is a douche to his friends.

Pretty disapointed, especially after the awesomeness that was the third book.

Still reading Memories of Ice, I'm about half-way through and goddamn, that 3-man punitive army of the Seguleh is just badass. I hope I'll see more of them.

High five!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
16167080.jpg

fantastic novel, although Le Carrè gets a bit heavy handed at times. Still, he's a master of his craft and this is another excellent spy story

Wanting more of Daniel Abraham after reading the 3rd book in the Dagger and Coin, I picked up the Long Price Quartet Omnibus

MNd7RaW.jpg

I just finished Memories of Ice in the Malazan series of books. Incredible read - loved it.

Started the fourth book in the series, House of Chains. The author introduced a new character and the first 300 pages are devoted soley to him. This wouldn't be a problem except the character is an arrogant dick who goes out and rapes/kills people for fun, obsesses over glory and is a douche to his friends.

That actually sounds pretty badass, I like fantasy characters like that, if done right. Have never been able to get through the first book of that series, might have to try again this summer.

Putting everything on hold to read Joyland

Joyland by Stephen King

Just got mine too, gonna jump into it tonight.

krishian

That actually sounds pretty badass, I like fantasy characters like that, if done right. Have never been able to get through the first book of that series, might have to try again this summer.
The first book is a complete mess, but the series get's drastically better with the next book. (ICE started pretty badly too, but his last 2 books were up there with Erikson, imo.)
I think you should at least try to get to the second book.

Tenrius

5zFIFka.jpg

I've read Razor's Edge and Of Human Bondage over the last few months. Maugham was a genius. Razor's Edge jumped up into my favorite novel's of all time.

I watched the movie a while back, never realised it was also a book by Maugham. The only book of his I read is Theatre, which was excellent.

J-Roderton

Finished Game of Thrones. Man, that was so much better than the show. It is nice to be able to see that stuff on TV, even though they leave out a few things of course. Gonna be taking a break from the 800 page books for a couple weeks and get in some quicker ones.

Just started this. Finished up a chapter this morning before work. Should be a nice quick one. Honestly bought it for the cover, but it seems interesting enough.

k4S41Uk.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
OnBasiliskStation.jpg

Not finished yet.
Not sure what to think but...
I'm not sure the writer understands Show, Don't Tell. A lot of infodumping. Not fun, not interesting. Characters are very boring so far, and Honor herself feels a bit mary-sueish.
Also, fucking hyperspace sails??? "Space is an Ocean" is one trope i really don't like, and space-sails are kind of extreme form of that... especially since they're not proper solar sails which are real.
Very slow book too, nothing interesting is happening and i just passed mid-point.
I really doubt i'm going to get another Honor book.

I need to write my own really, finding space opera i like is nigh-impossible.

Quake1028

For those of you reading it: is Joyland good enough for me to break my 2 1/2 year print buying streak? I hate that it's not out digitally #firstworldproblems.

Seanspeed

Banned
So much for finding a recap of LW and CW.... will now dive start diving into this on my first break here at work..

12591719.jpg

Ah! Still waiting on my copy. :(

On my re-read of A Dance with Dragons and its just soooo slow. I need something new and more gripping.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I never read the last two but everyone seems to say they're bad. Pity. Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are probably my favourite sci-fi novels of all time.

For those of you reading it: is Joyland good enough for me to break my 2 1/2 year print buying streak? I hate that it's not out digitally #firstworldproblems.

I'd say yes but then again I love the setting because I worked in a an amusement park so it holds a special place in my heart. AND the book is not obnoxiously large like The Stand, It, or Under the Dome. Its nice svelt 5 x 8 and about 300 pages.

Bazza

I have literally just finished reading Surface Detail, loved it, it's probably in my top 3 culture books.
loved the last line in the book, occasionally people, events and ship's are mentioned, I loved the Zakalwe reveal. By the end of this book he is technically over 900 years old, what makes it great is that The Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is featured heavily and is an example of there best war ships, and it turns out that some ancient human probably played a greater roll in the outcome.

Darkkn

Finished Life of Pi. It was pretty good and definitely preferred it to the movie.

Started reading this beast:

I was a bit apprehensive about picking it up, since people seem to have... mixed opinions of this book. I'm really liking it so far, can't wait to dig in more.

Quake1028

I'd say yes but then again I love the setting because I worked in a an amusement park so it holds a special place in my heart. AND the book is not obnoxiously large like The Stand, It, or Under the Dome. Its nice svelt 5 x 8 and about 300 pages.

I trust you, Mak. Ordered. Didn't hurt it was $7.30 shipped.

Yesterday I sat in the garden, in the sun, and read this:

I really enjoyed reading it.
It's a very simple novel, concerning two particular days in the life of a family whom own a large summer house with various guests. There's three parts - the first concerns a mother (Mrs Ramsay) and her young son, James - who wishes to take the boat across the harbor to visit the lighthouse. Also we see Mr Ramsay and his need for sympathy from his wife and peers (he is a paranoid writer.) The guests include Lily Briscoe who's a young painter plagued by doubt about her ability at capturing scenes on the canvas. The second part is an interim of 10 years in which the war greatly affects the family - and then the third part returns with Briscoe visiting the house and finally battling her doubts, and James gets to take that trip to the lighthouse.
The thing I liked about it most is the style of writing; it's essentially a stream of consciousness where we see the characters thoughts about life and about the people around them and how they're perceived by others - it jumps between the characters as they move around the house and sit to eat together. The prose is quite lyrical and poetic - I really enjoy the philosophical introspection it has. I've never read Woolf before so this to me is a very good first impression, I recommend it as a nice summer read.

Tonight I'm about to start reading this:

No clue what to expect, but I enjoy historical fiction so I'm intrigued, here's Amazon's summary:
Sharratt interweaves well-researched historical details of the 1612 Pendle witch-hunt with a beautifully imagined story of strong women, family, and betrayal. Daughters of the Witching Hill" is a powerful novel of intrigue and revelation.
I like 'real' supernatural accounts and the Pendle witches has always been something that's been quite controversial, so it should be a fun read!

Tepig.jpg

I use his first book Tao of Pooh as a gift book at least once a year but have held off reading this one because of negative reviews. So far I understand. Super preachy so far. Angry Taoist.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, probably not worth bothering. I didn't care much for the first, but figured I might as well try out the second... more of the same, no prospects for anything better as far as I could see.

Started reading this because someone said it has good space battles.
What battles? Half a book with no action, not fun. I mean, i'm not really after action in itself, but something interesting should happen within first half of a book.

Something to note for writing: pacing is extremely important.

Nymerio

High five!

The third book really blows the previous books out of the water. So amazing. Loving every page of it.

Put Elantris on hold, and got back to Garret P.I.

200px-Dread_Brass_Shadows.jpg

So, I take it you're liking them? :)

ShaneB

Ah! Still waiting on my copy. :(

The digital age! I bought my copy from Amazon tuesday morning and had it loaded on my Kobo before I went to work :p I really wanted to read a recap before starting, but
little by little it's coming back. Only a little bit in, but enjoying it so far, nice to see all these characters I've grown to love over the first 2 books.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I just started Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LaFell, and I just picked up Dirty Wars by Jeremy Scahill, Warrior Princess by Kristin Beck, and The Center Holds by Jonathan Alter.

DagsJT

I gave up on "Sweet Silver Blues" about 3/4 in, which is annoying. I kinda lost track of what was going on a bit, felt it was a bit ... boring, and the characters seemed to lose their charm that they had at the start.

I'll go back and finish it soon, hopefully.

Nezumi

I gave up on "Sweet Silver Blues" about 3/4 in, which is annoying. I kinda lost track of what was going on a bit, felt it was a bit ... boring, and the characters seemed to lose their charm that they had at the start.

I'll go back and finish it soon, hopefully.

So far I would agree that Sweet Silver Blues was the weakest of the books. I think in the later ones the whole tone changes and the chemistry between the characters is a lot better. I'd say that if you make it through the first one and don't absolutly hate it give at least the second book a try. If you still don't like it after that the series is probably just not your thing.

"There is no delight the equal of dread."

I finished Books of Blood, volume 2 over a week ago. "Dread" is such a great story about the extremes one man is willing to go in order to understand and conquer his own dread. Right now, it remains my favorite Barker short. The quality of the remaining stories varies rather wildly. The erotic horror of "Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament" is probably my second favorite in this volume, while "New Murders in the Rue Morgue" is easily the weakest tale. It's a cute attempt by Barker to riff on Poe, but it ultimately falls flat. "Skins of the Fathers" is notable because it features themes Barker would later revisit in Cabal and a sequence he would lift for his film Lord of Illusions.

Now it's onto Volume 3.

qcs3Ekj.jpg

Other than Rawhead Rex, I remember little about the stories in this volume. I hope that speaks more to the two decades between readings, instead of their quality.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Just got mine too, gonna jump into it tonight.

Me too! Excited to read this one.

noal

Banned
Well, I've finished a few heavy tomes so I decided to enjoy a couple of light novels, namely Inferno and Joyland. These should keep me going for a couple of weeks but I have a huge backlog to get through; mostly Stephen King.

Picked up Wheel of Time #1

There was a guy who was with a dude and they saw something funny in the forest. Then they went home and once there, 100 new characters were introduced per sentence.

Expected this, considering the whole 14 books epic fantasy thing, but it was still funny.

The early parts also highlighted how much I enjoy unique rules, concepts, and terms in stories. A "Bel Tine" here and "The Forsaken" there and I'm already hooked because I want to know what that stuff means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom