• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Wheel of Time #1

There was a guy who was with a dude and they saw something funny in the forest. Then they went home and once there, 100 new characters were introduced per sentence.

Expected this, considering the whole 14 books epic fantasy thing, but it was still funny.

The early parts also highlighted how much I enjoy unique rules, concepts, and terms in stories. A "Bel Tine" here and "The Forsaken" there and I'm already hooked because I want to know what that stuff means.

I used to fucking love the series, it's really good. Until you hit Crossroads of Twilight, then it's like "Jeez Robert, doesn't anything ever PROGRESS!?"

I haven't picked it back up since the new releases, I probably will in the future.

I just finished:
Neuromancer_%28Book%29.jpg

Next on my list:

CountZero%281stEd%29.jpg

Nymerio

I just finished Memories of Ice in the Malazan series of books. Incredible read - loved it.

Started the fourth book in the series, House of Chains. The author introduced a new character and the first 300 pages are devoted soley to him. This wouldn't be a problem except the character is an arrogant dick who goes out and rapes/kills people for fun, obsesses over glory and is a douche to his friends.

Pretty disapointed, especially after the awesomeness that was the third book.

High five!

I finished Memories of Ice yesterday. Of the three Malazan books I've read so far this has been the best. I started House of Chains immediately after and so far I've not been disappointed. The new character is a huge dick and I don't like him, but knowing what other characters the books have introduced so far, my guess is he'll be in for some nasty surprises.

berg ark

Finished Green Hills of Africa. I liked it, much more than The Old Man and The Sea. I liked the prose and the flow of the book, you also got to know the man himself. My only problem was that I had a hard time grasping the settings, especially when he described the big hills and mountains, I just didnt get the right pictures in my mind, I didn't feel it. That problem might lie with me though.

Now I'm going to read the Emigrants by a Swedish author Vilhelm Moberg.

Lamel

Banned
Finished Green Hills of Africa. I liked it, much more than The Old Man and The Sea. I liked the prose and the flow of the book, you also got to know the man himself. My only problem was that I had a hard time grasping the settings, especially when he described the big hills and mountains, I just didnt get the right pictures in my mind, I didn't feel it. That problem might lie with me though.

Now I'm going to read the Emigrants by a Swedish author Vilhelm Moberg.

That happens to me quite a bit sometimes.

thomaser

517WCWC-BtL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finally finished my exams, so I can do some fun reading again. First up: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I have the super-nice special edition that was only sold at Foyles, with red page-trimmings (or ends, or whatever they're called). I'm 200 pages in, and it's Murakami all right. Cat, check. Classical music, check. Mysterious girl, check. Preparing dinner, check. Something not right, check. And I love it :)

41dPrTGY%2BrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Also picking up again a book I read half of last summer: Psychology - The Science of Mind and Behaviour by Richard Gross. It's only an introductory book, but it has lots and lots of content, and is well-written and fascinating.

Made a list of my unread books, by the way. 77 fiction books, 32 non-fiction and 6 graphical novels/cartoons. And the list isn't even complete, since I have a full shelf of books that I haven't counted yet... Time to stop buying and start reading, methinks.

Last month I started rereading Seven Basic Plots since I never finished it the first time I started and happened to find a lot of spare time made for reading. I'm 400+ pages in this time, much farther than I got last time, and I'll likely finish it near the end of this month.

I also started Split Second Persuasion again last Friday because I was tired of reading about plots. Another book I started awhile back but didn't get too far into. I may or may not finish this one this month.

Hey everyone, can I get any recommendations on some apocalyptic/zombie books?

I'm a sucker for these type of things and I have read quite a few.

I've read:
World War Z - Max Brooks - 9/10
Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks 7/10
Rise Again - Ben Tripp - 8/10
Day By Day Armageddon - J.L. Bourne - 9/10
DBDA: Beyond Exile - J.L. Bourne - 7/10
DBDA: Shattered Hourglass - J.L. Bourne - 6/10
Plague of the Dead - Z.A. Recht - 7/10
Thunder And Ashes - Z.A. Recht - 8/10
Survivors - Z.A. Recht and Thom Brannan - 7/10
Tooth and Nail - Craig DiLouie - 8/10
The Infection - Craig DiLouie - 7/10
The Killing Floor - Craig DiLouie - 7/10
The Strain - Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro - 7/10
The Fall - Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro - 8/10
The Night Eternal - Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro - 7/10

I've also read a handful of short stories free on Amazon Kindle or whatever, Like the Remaining series(all of which have been pretty darn good so far), but I haven't gone on a reading spree in a while.

Any good Zombie/Apocalypse reads out there you guys can recommend? Vampires are okay too, as evidenced by the last three listed above. Anything good and fun to read will work!

Thanks y'all! I appreciate it!

I've read:

I've also read a handful of short stories free on Amazon Kindle or whatever, Like the Remaining series(all of which have been pretty darn good so far), but I haven't gone on a reading spree in a while.

Any good Zombie/Apocalypse reads out there you guys can recommend? Vampires are okay too, as evidenced by the last three listed above. Anything good and fun to read will work!

Haven't read them myself, but the Mira Grant books are always at the top of that list.

Here's the first one

Feed by Mira Grant

My nephew also likes this guys books, he has a couple different zombie trilogies, but they fall somewhere between middle grade and YA, so not sure if that will be too young for you.

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

On the hard copy side of things I finished The Maltese Falcon yesterday and started Someone Knows My Name

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill

I've read:

I remember The Rising being decent.

The Rising by Brian Keene

And as suggested, Feed is good if you're into the genre.

Feed and The Rising look interesting. Thanks fellas. That Benny Imura series is written by one of my favorite authors but I read an excerpt and it seemed to be written toward a lower reading level.

I might check it out at some point but I think I can wait.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it all.

Kaladin

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Brandon Sanderson's The Rhithmatist. The mystery in the novel is picking up and it's a good read. Imagine a Harry Potter clone with a more interesting magic system based on math and geometry and a more interesting alternate world: for instance ( minor world development (not plot related) spoiler here )
the US is the United Isles, which is made up of 60 independent island states with a loosely connected government and they're all connected by train
.....oh and Harry isn't a wizard.

Feed and The Rising look interesting. Thanks fellas. That Benny Imura series is written by one of my favorite authors but I read an excerpt and it seemed to be written toward a lower reading level.

I might check it out at some point but I think I can wait.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it all.
The Feed trilogy is great, I third it.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Brandon Sanderson's The Rhithmatist. The mystery in the novel is picking up and it's a good read. Imagine a Harry Potter clone with a more interesting magic system based on math and geometry and a more interesting alternate world: for instance ( minor world development (not plot related) spoiler here )
the US is the United Isles, which is made up of 60 independent island states with a loosely connected government and they're all connected by train

Okay, i'll be bumping that up on my "read at some point" list.

Currently re-reading (for nth time)Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star.
Very immersive writing style, reminiscent of GRRM's style, IMO. Along with the weakness, the story moves on very slowly at times.
And the Commonwealth... well, Hamilton is good worldbuilder, relatable, realistic world, yet somewhat alien and odd. Seriously, using trains for interplanetary travel? Genius!

513EZbSdgBL.jpg

I going to compare The Malazan Book of the Fallen to A Song of Ice and Fire.

Pluses for Malazan-

Better characters.
Story progresses at a better pace.
Book are arguably getting better as I continue the series.

Negatives for Malazan-

Honestly, still has some pages that are so confusing I have no idea what is going on.
The rules of the universe (what magic can and cannot do, what gods can and cannot do) are still not clearly defined.

These two series are neck and neck for me.

Just finished the newest released (yet 4th in the series) of Jo Nesbo Harry Hole books.

The Redeemer

Probably the worst of the 4 I've read, yet I still tore through it. It's not bad, per se, but I feel like it overused the "I'm only going to use pronouns so you don't know who is who at this part" gimmick. In previous books, it was usually kept to just the killer. Here it felt like nearly every character had this happen to them at some point or another.

Still a good-paced read if you're looking for a mystery that keeps you guessing.

Kaladin

Honestly, still has some pages that are so confusing I have no idea what is going on.
The rules of the universe (what magic can and cannot do, what gods can and cannot do) are still not clearly defined.

I think that is what scares me away from Malazan. I want to read it, but even reading the series descriptions it can get confusing and I can get that vibe from it that it might be over my head.

Piecake

513EZbSdgBL.jpg

Pluses for Malazan-

Better characters.

Negatives for Malazan-

Better characters? Wah?

I got my copy of Abaddon's Gate in today, and I've read the first few chapters. Really enjoying it so far, and it's nice to return to this world. Both previous books were big page turners that I tore through in a small amount of time, so I'm figuring that I'll probably go through this pretty quickly, too.

Piecake

I'll take Kruppe, Karsa, and Iskaral Pust over anyone in ASOIAF.

Well, its fine if you think they are cooler, but the actual characters are far less developed and realized than ASOIAF characters. Hell, even Sandor Cleagane shits on basically every Malazan character in terms of depth and characterization

ShaneB

I got my copy of Abaddon's Gate in today, and I've read the first few chapters. Really enjoying it so far, and it's nice to return to this world. Both previous books were big page turners that I tore through in a small amount of time, so I'm figuring that I'll probably go through this pretty quickly, too.

I found the beginning really slow with the new characters, but I'm just about 50% done, and now really enjoying it.

Just finished this:

images

Easily one of the best books I've ever read.

Next up (which I hear is not that good): The Lost Symbol.

Then either Good Omens or American Gods after that.

Dresden

ZN04Gt7.jpg

During the Korean War, Hwanghae Province in North Korea was the setting of a gruesome fifty-two day massacre. In an act of collective amnesia the atrocities were attributed to American military, but in truth they resulted from malicious battling between Christian and Communist Koreans. Forty years later, Ryu Yosop, a minister living in America returns to his home village, where his older brother once played a notorious role in the bloodshed. Besieged by vivid memories and visited by the troubled spirits of the deceased, Yosop must face the survivors of the tragedy and lay his brother's soul to rest.

YqjKZqA.jpg

Varamo is about the day in the life of a hapless government employee who, after wandering around all night after being paid by the Ministry in counterfeit money, eventually writes the most celebrated masterwork of modern Central American poetry, The Song of the Virgin Boy. What is odd is that, at fifty years old, Varamo “hadn’t previously written one sole verse, nor had it ever occurred to him to write one.”

I'm going camping next week. I think, I'm going to take Mark Twain's Life on The Mississippi with me.

It's not one of my regular reads this month (I'm almost done with A Dance with Dragons, and misplaced my copy of The Orchard Keeper, and let's be honest, there's no way I can read Faulkner in the middle of a Camping trip. I love the guys writing but it requires quite a bit of focus to get through any of his works).

Bazza

Decided i'm going to finish Banks' Scifi books before moving onto another genre or his other books so Feersum Endjinn is next.

Well, its fine if you think they are cooler, but the actual characters are far less developed and realized than ASOIAF characters. Hell, even Sandor Cleagane shits on basically every Malazan character in terms of depth and characterization

I understand what you're saying. I love ASOIAF. But I feel Malazan has a larger number of unique characters. There are also way more characters in Malazan, so they do not get as much attention. But I would say Karsa's character development is just as strong as Jaime's.

Nymerio

Pluses for Malazan-

Better characters.

Negatives for Malazan-

Better characters? Wah?

I'll take Kruppe, Karsa, and Iskaral Pust over anyone in ASOIAF.

I understand what you're saying. I love ASOIAF. But I feel Malazan has a larger number of unique characters. There are also way more characters in Malazan, so they do not get as much attention. But I would say Karsa's character development is just as strong as Jaime's.

Just wanted to chime in on this discussion. I wouldn't exactly say the malazan characters are better, but they're certainly more fun, if that makes any sense. I see myself looking forward to read chapters from certain characters in the malazan books more often than say in ASoIaF.

I think that is what scares me away from Malazan. I want to read it, but even reading the series descriptions it can get confusing and I can get that vibe from it that it might be over my head.

It's really not that bad. The first book is kinda bad, but it's not as complicated as you think it is.

Jag

It's not bad Sanderson. Similar to his other young adult series Alcatraz, which my son liked. Has a very strong Harry Potter vibe but an original 'magic' system that seems to be his hallmark.

Jintor

Finally finished my exams so had the time to read the rest of this:

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

I really, really liked it. Even though it was long-winded as 19th century english-world literature tends to be and sort of posied around in circles for a bit, it was just really kind of weirdly enjoyable to read. It's been a long time since I've read a book that is just so nakedly a morality play, but is yet still made with craft and that proves actually interesting.

Lol@Goodreads people bitching about how much Hawthorne liked to rattle on and on about describing everything though.

Anyway, I'm halfway through a book about New China by a BBC Journalist... I think I might read a quick Discworld novel, or maybe an old Redwall novel, for my fiction side of things.

Pau

Excellent choice Ratsky. :D

Currently reading:
Up in the Old Hotel by Joseph Mitchell. It was recommended by someone in the last thread, and I'm really enjoying it so far! A mix of nonfiction and fiction essays about folks the author would meet and talk to in NYC during the first half of the 1900s. Manages to make everyone very interesting but real. It's especially cool to see the lives of people from the past. Crazy when I think that they actually existed.

MadSexual

I recently finished 'The Last Wish' based on gaming-side recommendations. Now starting Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'.

I've been on a quest in recent years to compensate for my poor high school literary education by reading monumental works most frequently.

Nezumi

Finished:

Jhereg.jpg

It took me a while to get into this. The whole setting and its rules just seemed so over the top and in the beginning you just get so much stuff thrown at you without explanation. But somewhere around the middle it clicked and I would download the second book right this instant but alas no flexi-points left in my audible account :( Oh well, so I wait another week and listen to this in the meantime:

slaughter-702495.jpg

Bazza

I recently finished 'The Last Wish' based on gaming-side recommendations. Now starting Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'.

I've been on a quest in recent years to compensate for my poor high school literary education by reading monumental works most frequently.

What did you think of The Last Wish? if you liked it Blood of Elves is the next Witcher book released in English.

J-Roderton

Finishing up The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. It's alright so far. Not really into historical fiction but I grabbed it basically free.

A friend's mum gave me the entire box for Song Of Ice And Fire. I can finally start Clash Of Kings.

Kola

Hitler--644x362.jpg

Er ist wieder da (He's back)

Hitler reappears in the Berlin of 2011. Don't know what to make of it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom