• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

I'm nearly done with Revelation Space and I'm pretty happy with it overall.

The world building and science fiction elements have been really impressive throughout. Certain weaknesses did show up during the middle of the book when it started getting into the meat of the story. The plot is very rough around the edges, the characters lack depth, and most of the character interaction feels stilted.

Fortunately, now that I'm nearing the end, the story has veered back to the writer's strengths and things are becoming enjoyable again.

I definitely like it well enough to continue reading the series, and if some of the problems improve even slightly going forward, it could end up being a favorite of mine. Basically, the setting is cool enough for me to forgive quite a bit in other areas.

Picked up Wheel of Time #1

There was a guy who was with a dude and they saw something funny in the forest. Then they went home and once there, 100 new characters were introduced per sentence.

Expected this, considering the whole 14 books epic fantasy thing, but it was still funny.

The early parts also highlighted how much I enjoy unique rules, concepts, and terms in stories. A "Bel Tine" here and "The Forsaken" there and I'm already hooked because I want to know what that stuff means.

The wheel of time series is very strong when it comes to that sort of thing. It has some of the most detailed world-building ever, and everything is introduced at just the right pace so that you never get confused.

The first book is really good IMO. One of the best in the series, and one of the best introductions to a fantasy series I've ever read.

Going forward, there are some good books, some great books, and some not so great books (maybe one that is really just plain bad.) But overall, the series as a whole is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

I got these three books in the mail today:

iEyEMAGfSpTec.JPG

Not sure where to start first. Will update with progress.

Please start with the third one, so you can tell us if it's good or not. I have really missed Fringe since it ended and that book looks like it could potentially fill the void.

J-Roderton

Jesus Christ. Edgar Huntly is not turning out to be a very easy read at all. Maybe because it was written in the 1700s or just the way this dude writes, that book is hard to understand. Interesting story just wish I had some spark notes or something to go along with it.

Jag

Well, I've finished a few heavy tomes so I decided to enjoy a couple of light novels, namely Inferno and Joyland. These should keep me going for a couple of weeks but I have a huge backlog to get through; mostly Stephen King.

For newer King, I would strongly recommend 11/22/63

Bazza

Started on the final culture book, The Hydrogen Sonata. A bit sad as this is the final culture book, I will read Banks other novels but I love the lore, have even started having Culture themed dreams, that normally only happens when I'm marathoning a TV series, although I guess the books have had a similar effect as a TV marathon as I read the previous 6 books in the series in a 5 week period, just got absorbed in them, the moment I finished a book I was buying the next and getting sucked back in.

While reading the series I ended up googleing the other species and other bits I need clarification on and came across something that said use of weapons was the first culture novel he wrote and was originally around 250,000 and much more complex, so you have to think in 6 dimensions to understand it, I would love to give it a go because the way its worded makes me think it was from the perspective of a Mind, perhaps if we could see what he wrote in the first book certain things like 4D hyperspace etc.

Anyway gonna get back to the last book and savoir the final leg of what is the best scifi series I have n read, may even take top spot of any genre.

I'm blasting through Storm of Swords in light of the hullabaloo raised over the third season of the TV show. I like reading these books like a binge season-on-DVD sort of way, one at a time very aggressively.

Zona

Started on the final culture book, The Hydrogen Sonata. A bit sad as this is the final culture book, I will read Banks other novels but I love the lore, have even started having Culture themed dreams, that normally only happens when I'm marathoning a TV series, although I guess the books have had a similar effect as a TV marathon as I read the previous 6 books in the series in a 5 week period, just got absorbed in them, the moment I finished a book I was buying the next and getting sucked back in.

While reading the series I ended up googleing the other species and other bits I need clarification on and came across something that said use of weapons was the first culture novel he wrote and was originally around 250,000 and much more complex, so you have to think in 6 dimensions to understand it, I would love to give it a go because the way its worded makes me think it was from the perspective of a Mind, perhaps if we could see what he wrote in the first book certain things like 4D hyperspace etc.

Anyway gonna get back to the last book and savoir the final leg of what is the best scifi series I have n read, may even take top spot of any genre.

As a final its... appropriate. I'm still quite sad that it is the final one though.

sqwarlock

Since I started playing WoW again, I've realized there's a couple of books I've needed to read to catch up on the lore; I started reading Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War last night. I really like how Golden writes these books.

Bazza

Hope someone out there has created a website/blog that parts taken from the book where the main characters are introduced or mentioning the chapter is in, started drawing again after a lull of about 12 years, used to be quite good but all that skill is gone now, I will improve if I keep training and as the culture is embedded in my brain I want to use the characters, drones & ships as my inspiration.

I've finally got some free time so I've been building a list of anything that sounds interesting.

Picked up The Art of Racing in the Rain for a light warm-up and ordered Slaughterhouse-Five from the library to make myself stop dragging my feet about starting to read Vonnegut.

Fjordson

My brother recently alerted me to the fact that he owns the entire Lone Wolf & Cub manga series. I had no clue he did, but as soon as he told me I begged him to let me borrow it. So I'm starting to read that. I love almost anything samurai-related and have always heard that this is one of the best manga/graphic novels of all time.

51uYbmyxbhL.jpg

Lamel

Banned
Ah, i remember this. I was a lurker back then... dear lord the thread was a funny one.
The versions people came up with it...
I remember this DinoGAF banner with the dinosaur edited to peek behind a letter.

My avatar is a testament.

We haven't had a good photoshop thread in a while.

Kaladin

I'm about 1/5 of the way through this:

It definitely has more of a YA feel to it than Sanderson's other novels, but it still has the depth to it that his adult books carry. I feel like the viewpoint of the main character limits how much you learn about the world (and this is somewhat intentional), though I would love to learn a lot more than this book is letting on so far. The alternate history of how Rithmatics were discovered seems interesting but we only get glimpses of it so far. As I said, I'm only 1/5 through and I hope it continues to deliver.

Woorloog

Banned
My avatar is a testament.

We haven't had a good photoshop thread in a while.

Indeed. I love it when someone innocently asks for 'shopping help... and the results... well, they're nearly always great.
There was this thread about ClipArt covers on Gaming Side sometime ago, it was wonderful.

EDIT Hmm. The Rithmatist... to me "may read" list.

Woorloog

Banned
Only read the first one, but it was pretty decent. More of a middle-grade book, I think.

Hmm. If i say i like Artemis Fowl series... any similarities?

Of course... i don't think i've seen any Alcatraz books in the bookstore i visit...

legbone

i'm currently reading elmore leonard's Get Shorty. so much better than the movie of course. i have been on a leonard kick lately. the last three books i have read have been by him. Tishomingo Blues is highly recommended by the way. thinking about starting Game of Thrones but not sure if i want to dedicate that much time. leonard's books have been crazy fast reads.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Raced through The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks tonight and really enjoyed it's blockbuster feel. Hopefully the sequels are just the same.

Now onto a new release by a fav author of mine, The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes.

41vt6jaFeCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nymerio

I gave up on "Sweet Silver Blues" about 3/4 in, which is annoying. I kinda lost track of what was going on a bit, felt it was a bit ... boring, and the characters seemed to lose their charm that they had at the start.

I'll go back and finish it soon, hopefully.

The first book is really different from the rest. I think it's also the only book that takes place outside of Tunfaire. The characters really come alive in the following books, I'd say the first book is more like an introduction to the universe.

A lot! Especially since so far every book got a bit bit better than the previous one. Though I have to say that this one has a frustrating lack of Morley so far and I'm already 35% in.

If I remember correctly that's the only book where Morley is not around. (There's a reason :))

East Lake

My brother recently alerted me to the fact that he owns the entire Lone Wolf & Cub manga series. I had no clue he did, but as soon as he told me I begged him to let me borrow it. So I'm starting to read that. I love almost anything samurai-related and have always heard that this is one of the best manga/graphic novels of all time.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uYbmyxbhL.jpg
Stick with it. It's very episodic but it pays off big time in the end.

Finished

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

It definitely captured the sense of ennui these men probably felt at the time. I couldn't help but think the whole Brett-Jake-Mike-Robert-spoiler relationship was just so weird and dysfunctional. I guess that's the point? I'm still confused at how these people with supposedly no money end up traveling around Europe doing nothing but lounging around in cafes and drinking all day. Must be nice. Also, I'd like to know what was medically wrong with Jake.

Real Hero

Blasting my way through the Dark Tower books. Just finished
th

thought it was a good riff on seven samurai and I really like some aspects of it but this and the one before are WAY too long, especially when they both have such similar story. Hopefully the last two are of similar quality to the first 3.

Woorloog

Banned
Finished
OnBasiliskStation.jpg

So... yeah.
About 400 pages, of which about 50 are interesting reading. Namely the space battle in the end.
Weber knows how to write an engaging space battle, but that's all he can write.
Characters are either Mary Sues (Honor herself), or boring, unlikable and forgettable (everyone else).
I saw many things coming from near the beginning, and some things on the plot hinge on Harrington somehow connecting the dots, and just plain luck. Event leading to the final battle are boring and not unusual or surprising.
The worldbuilding is also boring.

I'm tempted to read the follow-up just because of the engaging space battle in On Basilisk Station, even if it is highly unrealistic (i know too much about space stuff to be able to suspend my disbelief easily, at least not with this book).
But i don't think i will.
Perhaps Weber's later books are better written but i really don't care to find out.

I really need to write a science fiction story as i like them...

How was Joyland? I have it and it's on my list of things to read soon, probably after NOS4A2.

I rated it as 'good' 3/5. I really enjoyed the setting and it was a nice tidy little mystery but there was nothing mind blowing about it. Good time waster for a few hours. Worth the price of admission for $7.50 or whatever Amazon has it at right now.

I rated it as 'good' 3/5. I really enjoyed the setting and it was a nice tidy little mystery but there was nothing mind blowing about it. Good time waster for a few hours. Worth the price of admission for $7.50 or whatever Amazon has it at right now.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about it as well.

Chake

Banned
images

Late to the party. Just starting to get into reading more book recently. I liked how the whole text layout is, it's easy for my eyes.

Tenrius

51uYbmyxbhL.jpg

So David Hollow didn't work out for you? I've been reading pretty slowly and I'm not very far in, but I'm actually liking it so far. Some kind of a post-apocalyptic Wild Western setting with a fantasy twist (and set on real-world Earth to boot). The Guards of the Rim thing is heavily reminiscent of ASOIAF's Night Watch, but it's not that bad since the setting as a whole feels pretty fresh. I can't say anything about the story, since I'm still more or less at the beginning (and it's a huge book), but the premise got me interested.

Fjordson

So David Hollow didn't work out for you? I've been reading pretty slowly and I'm not very far in, but I'm actually liking it so far. Some kind of a post-apocalyptic Wild Western setting with a fantasy twist (and set on real-world Earth to boot). The Guards of the Rim thing is heavily reminiscent of ASOIAF's Night Watch, but it's not that bad since the setting as a whole feels pretty fresh. I can't say anything about the story, since I'm still more or less at the beginning (and it's a huge book), but the premise got me interested.
Oh no, I'm just the worst reader in history. I get distracted easily and whatnot.

David Hollow from what I read in the beginning was really neat actually. I'm determined to finish it. Like you mentioned, I really liked the somewhat wild west feeling to it. And I also got a bit of an ASOIF vibe as well as a bit of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

These Lone Wolf & Cub trades are quick reads. About 300 pages with plenty of art, so I'll get back to David Hollow after 1 or 2 more Lone Wolf & Cub volumes.

Bazza

Just finished The Hydrogen Sonata. Happy and sad at the same time, happy because I just finished probably one of the best science fiction series I have read and sad because I know there will never be another Culture book.

Finished

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

It definitely captured the sense of ennui these men probably felt at the time. I couldn't help but think the whole Brett-Jake-Mike-Robert-spoiler relationship was just so weird and dysfunctional. I guess that's the point? I'm still confused at how these people with supposedly no money end up traveling around Europe doing nothing but lounging around in cafes and drinking all day. Must be nice. Also, I'd like to know what was medically wrong with Jake.

Jake's war wounds had made him impotent. The Hemingway protagonist is often characterized by some sort of weakness that renders him ineffective, despite staunchly adhering to a hyper-masculine moral code that is known as the Hemingway Code.

As for their lifestyles, Hemingway was inspired by his surroundings - journalists and artists of all types living in a post-war Europe, earning and spending their dollars in a very affordable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom