• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What cat of ethernet cable you use for gaming?

readonly

Neo Member
Considering cat5e supports 10gbps up to almost 150feet, you have little reason to go beyond it. Strictly for the client to server communication cat5 would be perfectly suitable since 100mbps is way beyond anything you need for online gameplay. So basically whatever grade of cable that will max your internet bandwidth is what you need, unless you are doing something exotic in your internal network. Also I'm not actually recommending cat5 (good luck finding it anyways).

Edit; I'll add cat5 often supports 1gbps anyways.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
extra-long-cat-v0-m4u9pvejpuld1.jpeg

String a couple of these bad boys together and you'll have all the bandwidth you could possibly dream of.

So a "simple" question that still can't find a decent answer. I am renovating some areas in Home and need to install network cables. In the market there are cat 6,7,8 cables and also have different shields like SFTP, FTP,STP.

All say are the best for gaming , obviously the cat 6 are the cheapest. So basically what is the best cost/performance cable for Home gaming? Does cat 8 extra cost is worth ? Does shield impact it's performance?

Thanks for your answers.
I've got CAT6 throughout my entire house and its sufficient up to 10gbps.

I did also run some fibre to my office which should theoretically give me 100gbp if the need arises, but I doubt this will ever be useful for gaming.

FYI 1gbit is more than enough to play games.

splattered

Just upgraded my internet hardware this weekend... pretty pricey just modem and single router cost me over $1,000. Now my speeds are hitting and slightly exceeding their stated caps. Latency ping and jitter much better. Using cat8 cables from router direct connect to consoles. (cat8 not that expensive, go for it) ... that being said all i can get here from cable is 1,200 down and 40 up. Lame that they haven't at least upgraded the upload capabilities here yet.

Nydius

Cat 6A. Unless you’re running a home gaming LAN, anything above 6A or 6E is a waste of money. Your limiting factor for online gaming will be your ISP bandwidth, and your modem’s maximum speed.

Most cables are shielded well enough for normal home use. You would have to subject a standard cat 6a/e UTP cable to a LOT of direct electrical interference for it to have an impact.

Top Bottom