• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you consider Nintendo's most illogical or baffling decision?

killatopak

Gold Member
Pokemon Go.

Do we really need to do this?

Very ironic.

What? The question is only stated for gen 5. No matter what happened in the future gens had no bearing with the question. Even if Nintendo did make more money on gen 5 or not.

Oh and PS plus.

I'm not so familiar with Nintendo so would go with one that has had massive ramifications for them and everyone else - failing to hash out a deal they felt comfortable with with Sony re CD support, and thus announcing a partnership with Phillips for CD support the day before Sony was set to make the announcement with Nintendo. IMO it wound up doing more damage than just Nintendo sticking with carts on the N64 as it laid the seed for Sony to come in later with the PS1, when perhaps they wouldn't have bothered to try at all, and we all know how things have played out since then.

It's not so much baffling, but if you have *a* deal and don't like it, at least tell the other party you want to renegotiate...

meppi

Region locking a handheld was a huge WTF for me.
Nowadays region locking even a console would get a huge WTF from me as well.
Glad the higher ups finally saw that kind of restrictions do a lot more bad than good.

The Wii U reveal.

Focusing entirely on the controller, showing a handful of incredibly vague concepts that looked genuinely boring and other titles that looked exactly like pre-existing Wii games, that stupid name. Everything about the Wii U was half-assed.

Can't access the system OS, browser, game notes, miiverse, friends list, streetpass, and all the other 3DS features when the GBA games are running natively.

Plus they're blurry, dark, and butt ugly if the ambassador games are any indication.
Must not be that important if they let you play all your DS games

And yeah, the ambassador games do look like ass - but hacks have shown us you can improve this a ton.

Makonero

Very ironic.

What? The question is only stated for gen 5. No matter what happened in the future gens had no bearing with the question. Even if Nintendo did make more money on gen 5 or not.

Oh and PS plus.

We were mainly discussing gen 5 I think, but yeah I guess it did. Similar to how N64 probably wiped out a lot of the SNES profits.

You guys forgetting the gameboy/Pokemon already?

Durock

Not buying Rare. That was their golden goose and they sold it to their competitor at a time when their third party support was continuing to wane and shortly after the launch of a new console. That's a lot of software and additional console sales they threw away.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Focusing so much on NSMB Wii U during the Wii U's launch. Looked exactly like the popular Wii game and it offered barely there, tacked on Gamepad functionality. I think this early marketing focus was the indicative of all the reasons the Wii U failed so hard.

If I were Nintendo, I would have focused on Zombi U. It actually made a strong use case for the GamePad. Better then most games since. Or at least Nintendo land.

Zombi U was about the only thing to use it well, but it was very game-specific and actually played on its inherent disadvantage of having to look away from the screen.

The GamePad was a dead duck, the fact they were still considering dropping it for cost reasons late on in the console's development says how little they considered it integral to the games they wanted to make. Unlike the Wii which was built around the Wiimote and Wii Sports.

When Nintendo Land was unveiled it was blatantly obvious they did not have a clue how to build a compelling game round it and were just throwing everything at a wall.

The only good thing to say about the Wii U, ignoring the library, is it's only compelling feature was spun-off into the Switch and that system made to make sense. The learned hard from it.

Neff

We were mainly discussing gen 5 I think, but yeah I guess it did. Similar to how N64 probably wiped out a lot of the SNES profits.

Nope, N64 was highly successful for them.

PS3 and 360 were, believe it or not, unprecedented financial disasters, both desperate attempts to decisively win market share (and in Sony's case establish a proprietary format) at tremendous cost.

jts

...hate me...
Canceling the deal with Sony has to top any list.

What world would we be living in, had Nintendo gone through with it?

The deal was extremely unfavourable to Nintendo IIRC, so we would probably be living in a world without Nintendo or Nintendo games.

No thanks.

It was idiotic the way they agreed to that deal and the way they bailed, but bailing was necessary.

Famassu

I don't think it's necessarily the most baffling, but it's the most baffling that affected me a lot. And that is region locking 3DS. It soured me on the whole platform. DS was import heaven, I loved it that I could just order anything from anywhere the world, never had to worry if something is available or going to be made available in Europe (of course the language barrier still limited my purchases, but a lot of games don't need language to enjoy). I could import all the Ouendans and Jump Superstars and Daigassoo! Band Brothers that I wanted. 3DS was a huge FUCK YOU for someone who considers DS one of the best gaming platforms of all time because of that

aaaaaa

Composite cables for Gamecube and Wii is way up there. Original post had a good choice.

Trying to bring Japan's artificial rarity market to the US starting with Amiibos. Maybe it's a success with a small audience but it ticks me right off. Now I can't buy half the 3DS games I want because they're all out of print and going for $70 or more. I do not see how this is a smart move.

Akai XIII

Not regularly releasing a Pokemon RPG for their home consoles.

I'm not convinced it would have damaged sales of the handheld versions (and even if it did, it would have boosted the console version sales). If the GC, Wii and Wii U had these it would have boosted sales even further. Hopefully they fix this with the Switch.

-shadow-

The topic already has summed up most of what I was thinking, so good on that.

Their handling of Xenoblade was very strange. They had a masterpiece on their hands and they shipped it in very limited supply to Europe and attempted to not bring it at all to the US.
The game most certainly wasn't released in a very limited quantity in Europe. A Media Markt here at One point was selling copies for €10 because they had too many of them. The game was only ever truly limited in the US. That story just ended up blowing over here and scalpers assumed it was also rare here.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Voice chat through a smartphone app. Fucking friend codes.

Those are probably it. Their shitty and super behind the others approach to online in general.

I get that they're the top choice for parents and families, but there are much better ways to go about it with good parental controls, having online features disabled by default if they wanted etc.

Most other things that annoyed me like sticking with carts with N64 and alienating third parties, the Wii not being HD at least made business sense (licensing fees for the carts, keeping costs down on a console that they were marking to casuals and non-gamers that weren't HDTV early adopters) so I can get why they did them.

Hazmat

The terrible naming of their systems a ways back. I get that they wanted to capitalize on the success of the Wii and DS, but Wii U and 3DS are terrible names that confuse casual consumers.

Killing the RPG features in the Paper Mario series would be the most baffling for me. A lot of the other ones (Wii Music, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival) at least make sense as to why they exist.

- Carts for N64 (64DD was pretty much a confession of a mistake).
- Making N64 hardware intentionally hard to develop (according to Hiroshi Yamauchi).
- Not giving Squaresoft the same treatment they gave to Enix, the major reason why they split, thus moved to Sony. Reason why it started a third-party exodus in Japan.
- Mini-DVDs for GCN.
- Purple box design for GCN.
- Ignoring the offspring of the online market in the GCN days, which gave both Sony and Microsoft a head start both in market and infrastructure wise.
- Shutting down the western development divisions, stripping away the autonomy of western's branches, ending second-party and publishing deals with western publishers and burning bridges with most western third-parties during Iwata's ternure. Selling Rare was the most infamous example.
- Decision making and market appealing being concentrated on Japan mostly.
- Abandoning hardware race in the Wii and Wii U days for market darwinism and economic austerity.
- Mandatory gimmicky controller for Wii.
- Shafting or mismanaging once major and well-known IP's like Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox, Wave Race, etc..
- Relying too heavily on nostalgia of their IPs like Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong instead evolving their formula to modern standards.
- Excessive focus on simplicity geared toward casuals and family during Wii and Wii U days.
- Inability to support two systems at once, causing significant droughts during the system's life time as they don't enough internal studios to handle it.

Nintendo Land secretly contained the best Metroid game in a long time. Seriously disappointed they never made a full game based off the controls of Metroid Blast.

killatopak

Gold Member
Sorry, thought we were talking gen 5

and yes, n64 was not sold at a loss, so no profits squandered

I'd be surprised if it was sold at a loss. Even if they weren't having a larger amount of game sales, the profit they made with the cartridge was still a lot.

Playstation on the other hand was plagued by piracy so I imagine that would also be a bit of a loss.

I wanna say leaving metroid on practicaly hiatus* for so long, but I don't know if thats just a bad creative decision.

*Put your hand down, Other M and Federation Force aren't real.

MadMod

Their marketing department and decisions being run by children. Hence their decision to kill their console before it even started by calling it the Wii U. Still baffles me to this day, how you could make a massive mistake that that.

Protome

Toss up between the terrible communication about the Switch's online service and the service itself.

Nintendo have been incredibly poor at communicating about the online functionality of the switch, leading people to assume that basic functionality like messaging friends or adding friends based on something less archaic than fucking friend codes.

Then there's the plans for the App which if the functionality it gives really isn't going to be available in the system itself is without a doubt one of the worst ideas any company has come up with in this industry. The idea that nobody at Nintendo understands the popularity of headsets which allow you to hear both the game and voice chat is absurd.

If it were any other company id expect them to backtrack but as it's Nintendo, the Switch will probably just never be a fully capable online console.

Constantly doubling down on Japan despite it being a dying marketplace and all the real money being in the west.

Maybe they serve Japanese audiences because they're a Japanese company, based in Japan, and most of the creative leads and decision makers are they themselves Japanese? It's like saying that all films should either be American or Chinese cos that's where the money is.

Probably not the worst but me having to buy a power cord for my brand new 3ds was really annoying. Even if it wasn't the most expensive thing.

Instro

- Carts for N64 (64DD was pretty much a confession of a mistake).
- Making N64 hardware intentionally hard to develop (according to Hiroshi Yamauchi).
- Not giving Squaresoft the same treatment they gave to Enix, the major reason why they split, thus moved to Sony. Reason why it started a third-party exodus in Japan.
- Mini-DVDs for GCN.
- Purple box design for GCN.
- Ignoring the offspring of the online market in the GCN days, which gave both Sony and Microsoft a head start both in market and infrastructure wise.
- Shutting down the western development divisions, stripping away the autonomy of western's branches, ending second-party and publishing deals with western publishers and burning bridges with most western third-parties during Iwata's ternure. Selling Rare was the most infamous example.
- Decision making and market appealing being concentrated on Japan mostly.
- Abandoning hardware race in the Wii and Wii U days for market darwinism and economic austerity.
- Mandatory gimmicky controller for Wii.
- Shafting or mismanaging once major and well-known IP's like Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox, Wave Race, etc..
- Relying too heavily on nostalgia of their IPs like Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong instead evolving their formula to modern standards.
- Excessive focus on simplicity geared toward casuals and family during Wii and Wii U days.

No lies detected.

Dylan

I only saw it posted a few times, but it definitely has to be partnering with Phillips instead of Sony, right? They could have been the Playstation as opposed to competing with it. What a disaster.

Announcing paid online coming off of one of the worst selling home consoles of all time. You'd think they'd avoid it for now and try to make the Switch as welcoming and affordable as possible. I think it's a stupid decision.

notaskwid

My personal one is refusing to publish Fatal Frame 4 outside of Japan.
Though the history of Nintendo if filled with boneheaded decisions from where I stand on.

Breakage

Wii U
Single Z button and C-stick nipple on the GameCube controller.
Proprietary non-dvd optical disc format for the GameCube.

Top Bottom