• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What fighting games have the best outfits?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Best - Soul Calibur 2

Darkstalkers would probably be runner up for originality. Killer Instinct was kind of cool character designs, but not outfits. Mortal Kombat had BMX ninjas, nuff said. Street Fighter has never had great character designs beyond World Warrior. VF is very plain jane.

Leviathan

Banned
Soul Calibur (DC) has the best outfits. Here are my two favourite outfits.

ivy79.jpg

nightmare12.jpg

Consider this: while Soul Calibur has some very original character designs, DOA has consistently taken known character designs, albeit comparitively tame, and dressed them up in interesting ways over and over again. DOA is less fantastic in their designs, but there is a wealth of them and the are of high quality.

When you fisrt played SC2 and DOA3, which game were you more interested in seeing all the costumes?

WarPig

I still like P2 Ivy from the first Soul Calibur better than either of her SC2 designs. They fucked up the SC2 alternate outfit with the epaulets and the wacko hairdo. Xianghua's outfit with the butterfly on the back from SC1 is another all-time great design.

DOA Ultimate is a mixed bag. A bunch of the girls' outfits are ruined by their shoes, cuz for some reason they have 'em wearing pumps or high heels even when they completely don't match the rest of the outfit. Ayane has some real fun ones, though -- the tank top/jogging pants/sneakers outfit is awful cute.

DFS.

Zaptruder

Banned
WarPig said:
I still like P2 Ivy from the first Soul Calibur better than either of her SC2 designs. They fucked up the SC2 alternate outfit with the epaulets and the wacko hairdo. Xianghua's outfit with the butterfly on the back from SC1 is another all-time great design.

DOA Ultimate is a mixed bag. A bunch of the girls' outfits are ruined by their shoes, cuz for some reason they have 'em wearing pumps or high heels even when they completely don't match the rest of the outfit. Ayane has some real fun ones, though -- the tank top/jogging pants/sneakers outfit is awful cute.

DFS.

What about Ivy's 3rd costume? I don't bother with the second outfit ever.

SaitoH

Soul Calibur 1

I found they just added too much "stuff" to the outfits in the second game and ruined the overall appearance.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've always been partial to Helena's 3rd costume in DOA2. Ya know...the one from Tecmo's Deception 3. Glad its making a return in DOAU.

If I had to pick, SC series wins.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For sheer size of the outfit roster I go with King of Fighters. Very stylish, but not Final Fantasy X-2 outrageous fluffy stuff. DoA has some good specific costumes but is very inconsistent. The Soul series is good for classical Japanese wear. Personally I really like SFIII: 3rd Strike because the outfits have character - not neccessarily too much style - and generally look very plausible. You could see somebody fighting or walking down the street in them, but they're also not totally boring or mundane.

WarPig

Zaptruder said:
What about Ivy's 3rd costume? I don't bother with the second outfit ever.

You mean in SC2? I can't remember which one that is, didn't play enough SC2 to recall.

In an old Gamest Graphics I have, there's an interview with Yasushi Nirasawa and a big gallery full of discarded character designs for the original Calibur. One of 'em's a version of Ivy with this really sharp mid-18th-century casual outfit and glasses. Liked that one a lot.

DFS.

Brandon F

The SC2 pre-order bonus artbook that shipped with the game last year had a few unused Ivy outfits as well, all of which would have been better choices than the victorian military strategist getup she had going in the final.

The best had her wearing a hooded cowel and cape that really shoulda been in there.

jett

D-Member
Seriously people, forget about the panty shots and the boob jobs. The costumes of the DoA series are trite and uninspired, i.e. creatively bankrupt.

I love Jin's hoodie costume from T4. Overall, the Soul Calibur series wins.

2D winner is 3rd Strike, of course. :p

WarPig

Brandon F said:
The best had her wearing a hooded cowel and cape that really shoulda been in there.

Maybe they couldn't model it well enough. Making loose outfits like that move properly takes some effort (it's pretty understated, but the physics on Hitomi's gi in Dead or Alive 3 are a real achievement).

P2 Ivy in SC2 would have been a hell of a lot better if they just did something different with her hair. The swept-back 'do looks awful.

DFS.

Brandon F

WarPig said:
Maybe they couldn't model it well enough. Making loose outfits like that move properly takes some effort (it's pretty understated, but the physics on Hitomi's gi in Dead or Alive 3 are a real achievement).

P2 Ivy in SC2 would have been a hell of a lot better if they just did something different with her hair. The swept-back 'do looks awful.

DFS.

Understandable and agreed respectively. I'll just add that the 'other' unused costume in the artbook had her wearing this cute beret with a suit and tie getup that works quite well together without losing that victorian appeal of her P2 outfit. Dissapointingly it is left to rot on the pages and not in the game.

WarPig

Brandon F said:
Understandable and agreed respectively. I'll just add that the 'other' unused costume in the artbook had her wearing this cute beret with a suit and tie getup that works quite well together without losing that victorian appeal of her P2 outfit. Dissapointingly it is left to rot on the pages and not in the game.

Beret with a suit. Now I've got MOMO's outfit from Xenosaga Episode II in my head, which is a damn weird juxtaposition.

DFS.

Brandon F

WarPig said:
Beret with a suit. Now I've got MOMO's outfit from Xenosaga Episode II in my head, which is a damn weird juxtaposition.

DFS.

Well, Ivy does have bigger knockers than Momo...does that help?

WarPig

I might have actually snapped those shots back in the day. Boy, were those old capture rigs ass.

I still loathe that Tina outfit.

DFS.

Brandon F

doa2_131.jpg

This costume must have been in one of those DOA2 import remixes that were released every 2 months back in 2000.

Anyanka

Jin's hoodie is the best outfit ever.

But overall MK wins. Sal Divita in BMX gear and a plastic helmet is kool.

WarPig

Best BMX character ever was Charlie in Fighting Vipers 2. His super KO move was a hitchhiker, that shit was hilarious.

DFS.

Brandon F said:
doa2_131.jpg

This costume must have been in one of those DOA2 import remixes that were released every 2 months back in 2000.

Maybe, but it was also in Hardcore, believe it went with Zack's Shadowman outfit, supposed to be his girlfriend.

Top Bottom