• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game has the 'Best. Level design. Evar!!' ?

Pellham

Banned
just based on games that i have played (and that would NOT include the majority of "hit" PS2 games or pretty much anything recent):

Super Metroid
Zelda:LTTP
Fire Emblem Thracia 776

all three games have perfect level design IMO.

Malakhov

Banned
Doom III
Halo

I kid I kid ;)

Well Halo had good level designs until they made you go into a level that would never end.

ok, I'm going to pick some older games too:

Boulder Dash 1: The rest of the series also had some good levels, but the levels in the first one were excellent.

Dungeon Master: Really well done levels, puts Eye of The Beholder series to shame.

Chrono Trigger.

Lemmings.

Sonic 1.

The Great Giana Sisters :p

Jedi_knight_dark_forces_2.jpg
had a great level where a large ship was falling down a large chasm and you had to get to your ship and fly out before it reached the bottom.

Not sure if it's the best level ever but it sure was great and memorable.

BTW, I must also give a nod to ICO. That whole game is one huge wonderfully conceived level that flows beautifully from beginning to end.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Littleberu said:
Metroid Prime. Now close this thread.

Ab-so-fuckin-lutely.

No contest.

Then Zelda: Master Quest and some of the main dungeons from Zelda Wind Waker. And SMB3 just because you could play it soft or hardcore.

hobbitx

element said:
first tomb raider is pretty cool

Agreed, as a whole, that game had some excellent level design.

With other games, their just levels I like more than others.

My all-time favorite level is probably the Jedi Tomb level from Jedi Academy, that level was just beautiful. Even though the online version of the map isn't as fun.

Alex

Towns in Symphonia? ....Why? For the most part they're bland, uninteractive wastelands. And, IMO, they're a step back from Eternia's towns which weren't exactly interesting either.

firex

Call of Duty, and Far Cry are seriously some of the best I've seen so far.

But I also can't count out Thief and Thief 2 (haven't played Thief 3 yet).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
metroid prime has awful level design. desist in mentioning it. the awful, numbing treks across boring stretches of old map just to open up one poxy room containing another worthless super bomb upgrade are themselves enough to disqualify it. there's more to level design than "atmosphere." not that prime is particularly strong in that regard either.

IJoel

drohne said:
metroid prime has awful level design. desist in mentioning it. the awful, numbing treks across boring stretches of old map just to open up one poxy room containing another worthless super bomb upgrade are themselves enough to disqualify it. there's more to level design than "atmosphere." not that prime is particularly strong in that regard either.

The%20Hive.jpg

RUN DROHNE RUN!

Metroid Prime has pretty nonsensical level designs, definitely. And they didn't have the sort of competent design that might minimize backtracking, like OoT's dungeons. They were just arbitrary and ambling, with no real sense of architecture or construction, like they were "designed" just to look pointlessly over-articulated: kinda like the gameplay itself.

For FPS, I'll vote for NOLF 1 and 2. Mmmmm, NOLF.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
drohne said:
Drinky Crow said:
Metroid Prime has pretty nonsensical level designs, definitely. And they didn't have the sort of competent design that might minimize backtracking, like OoT's dungeons. They were just arbitrary and ambling, with no real sense of architecture or construction, but rather just to look pointless detailed: kinda like the gameplay itself.

THANK YOU OH SENSIBLE ONES. MP is so goddamn fucking overrated in more ways than I can count. The level design is so cliched, unoriginal and requires so much goddamn back-tracking and allows for zero true exploration. I guess, for its purposes, it's very "tight" design, and it sure is pretty. That's all I can say about it though.

Again, no exaggeration, the game is so overrated it's disgusting. Ugh. But of course, the Nintendrones (including most "professional gaming critics") who fall to their knees and bow before anything with the word "Nintendo" slapped on the cover (even if it's not designed by Nintendo (new dev team recently acquired by Nintendo doesn't count)) will swarm anyone who doens't fall into Nintendrone line opinion regarding MP like killer bees.

I could think of others, but I'll mention it because I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it: Mario Sunshine. That game got dogged on a lot for a lot of reasons, but I always really appreciated the game's level design. Yeah, it was inconsistent throughout the game, and I admit I missed the exploration aspect from Mario64, but SMS in its better levels is the epitome of tight 3d platformer level design. The levels were pretty damn small but there was always so much to do; each level was like a virtual playground for platforming gameplay. I think, because of the level design, SMS was the best 3D adaptation of platforming principles ever. Too bad it was the most unpolished EAD game ever.

shpankey

not an idiot
Heh, I thought Metroid Prime had some of the worst level designs, certainly nowhere even remotely near "best".

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The level design in Metroid Prime is brilliant. And I'm not even talking about the variety of environments, how every single room is unique and organically grown. I'm talking about how everything fits together seamlessly: item locations, morph ball puzzles, save stations, boss fights, shortcuts, and the like. Tremendous talent and time went into the construction of this world. I never got lost, never felt like I was backtracking. But then, I was actively searching for secrets all the time.

I suppose if lacked patience and perception, I might too reduce the game to a series of atmospheric set-pieces void of substance...

"organically grown"? I'll agree that the level design was the game design equivalent of soy curd, sure. Definitely a bland approximation of edibility and substance.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mr_Furious said:
Jedi_knight_dark_forces_2.jpg
had a great level where a large ship was falling down a large chasm and you had to get to your ship and fly out before it reached the bottom.

Not sure if it's the best level ever but it sure was great and memorable.

BTW, I must also give a nod to ICO. That whole game is one huge wonderfully conceived level that flows beautifully from beginning to end.

Finally someone mentions Jedi Knight. That game had freaking amazing levels, just astoundingly cool.

drohne

Goreomedy said:
I'm talking about how everything fits together seamlessly...

no you aren't. metroid prime is stitched together from a bunch of discrete, disjointed rooms. that's how the engine works. what do you call a visible joint between separate pieces? you call it a "seam." metroid prime is full of seams. it's positively seamy.

Stage 5 in R-Type Delta is teh sex-ay. 3's pretty intense, though; from the plodding initial pace dodging eight-way shots do tucking between the walker's legs like some sort of little space penis to MOAB OVERKILL to the boss confrontation, it's just a frickin' rollercoaster.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Goreomedy said:
The level design in Metroid Prime is brilliant. And I'm not even talking about the variety of environments, how every single room is unique and organically grown. I'm talking about how everything fits together seamlessly: item locations, morph ball puzzles, save stations, boss fights, shortcuts, and the like. Tremendous talent and time went into the construction of this world. I never got lost, never felt like I was backtracking. But then, I was actively searching for secrets all the time.

I suppose if lacked patience and perception, I might too reduce the game to a series of atmospheric set-pieces void of substance...
bullshit.jpg

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Drinky Crow said:
"organically grown"? I'll agree that the level design was the game design equivalent of soy curd, sure. Definitely a bland approximation of edibility and substance, for sure.

I swear I've seen you use that before. Can't say anything in Metroid Prime gave me such a feeling of deja vu.

Just one question for those who criticize the backtracking. How many artifacts did you have to search for at the end of the game?

etiolate

Banned
It's nort worth touching this poor troll bait. The fact MP is continually mentioned in this thread is not a coincidence.

drohne

ALL OF THEM BECAUSE I'M A NINNY WHO LACKS -- what was it? -- PATIENCE AND PERCEPTION.

but actually i don't remember. probably two or three. not that it's even vaguely relevant.

IJoel

xabre said:
If 'Cannot beat Metroid prime' = true and 'Metroid Prime popularity' > 1 then Condemn_Metroid Prime()

If (hive == grouped) && (dissentingOpinion == TRUE)
hiveAttack();
else
hiveHoverAndGuard();

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
drohne said:
ALL OF THEM BECAUSE I'M A NINNY WHO LACKS -- what was it? -- PATIENCE AND PERCEPTION.

but actually i don't remember. probably two or three. not that it's even vaguely relevant.

First off, I do regret the passive "simpleton" swipe. For that, I'm sorry. And that goes to anyone who sincerely felt Metroid Prime was at all confusing in design or needlessly taxing when it came to backtracking.

I try to respect a differing play experinece, when the person sharing it offers something in an example and doesn't have a track record of fanboy incitement. With that said, I'll add...

Why I thought it was relevant: The only backtracking I did in the game was to hunt for the final artifact. I honestly can't remember a single moment of backtracking beyond that. At what specific point did Metroid fail you here?

As for the doors, they didn't disrupt what I felt was a seamless alien world. The doors are a franchise staple that almost always opened without hesitation. They were no more obtrusive than, say, any door in a Zelda game.

Top Bottom