• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games will melt my eyes off on PC?

Dogtooth

Banned
hrmmm

It all depends heavily on the amount of die shrinks, thermals, power, and a variety of other things. But if it wasn't vanilla titan X levels (which manages games @ 4x the resolution with higher settings) of power that would be incredibly disappointing.

Even still, there's bound to be new hardware features in the next 4 years you're gonna want to have.

Going back to 2008, Nvidia's flagship 9800GX2 is generally inferior to the AMD 7850 (comparable to the gpu in PS4).

Dmented

Banned
Even still, there's bound to be new hardware features in the next 4 years you're gonna want to have.

Going back to 2008, Nvidia's flagship 9800GX2 is generally inferior to the AMD 7850 (comparable to the gpu in PS4).

Oh god, the 9800GX2 was the worst card ever... and I bought 2. FML. I'll always be mad about that purchase.

Dogtooth

Banned
Oh god, the 9800GX2 was the worst card ever... and I bought 2. FML. I'll always be mad about that purchase.

I splurged on a Geforce3 (PIXELSHADERZ) back in the day. By the time games were using programmable shaders, the midrange Geforce4 crushed my card. I'll never spend more than $300 again.

Kinthalis

Banned
Topic of Thread:

" What games will melt my eyes off on PC"

Topic of thread 4 pages in?

Who knows. It's devolved into accusations of OP paying too much for his PC, and fanboys talking abotu a hypothetical PS5 (more powerful than Titan-X's in SLI, don't you know!?).

Yep, it's a PC thread on GAF alright....

NeonBlack

Samsung U32D970Q 4K Monitor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X (8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Triple NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX(TM) TITAN X with 36GB GDDR5 in SLI
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133MHz (8GB x 4)
512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage
1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Triple NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX(TM) TITAN X with 36GB GDDR5 in SLI

giphy.gif

How many children were sacrificed, OP?

Maybe Witcher 3 and GTAV. Seeing as my single 980ti can't run these maxed.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It doesn't require much power to run, but because of the amazing art style I would imagine that the Borderlands series would look amazing in 4k.
Also as already mentioned, I would imagine that Battlefield 4 would still look great in 4k too.

Topic of Thread:

" What games will melt my eyes off on PC"

Topic of thread 4 pages in?

Who knows. It's devolved into accusations of OP paying too much for his PC,
OP brought up his specs.
And it must have been expensive.
With the way the OP is set up, this leaves several openings for different lines of conversation.

-Expensive: if someone asked where to drive their 500,000$ car, don't you think someone would comment on the fact that they bought a 500,000$ car?
-Power: What kind of power does that kind of thing have?
-Games: The OP asked.

and fanboys talking abotu a hypothetical PS5 (more powerful than Titan-X's in SLI, don't you know!?).

Yep, it's a PC thread on GAF alright....
This goes with power.
But really, no one is claiming it'll be more powerful than Titan-X's in SLI.
So you made an accusation of a group that doesn't even actually exist.

Coming up there is expected to be a big jump in performance, and the PS4 is only about 1/4th of a Titan-X.
The claim that in maybe 4 years the PS5 will be more than 4 times as powerful as it's predecessor is not outrageous, and certainly doesn't require someone to be a fanboy.

Coming up there is expected to be a big jump in performance, and the PS4 is only about 1/4th of a Titan-X.

It is less than 1/4th if you look at the benchmarks and try and equalize settings,
The claim that in maybe 4 years the PS5 will be more than 4 times as powerful as it's predecessor is not outrageous, and certainly doesn't require someone to be a fanboy.

To achieve the processing power jump of this gen over the last whilst staying within in power limits, thermal limits, and new price paradigms, the last gen had to last from 2005-2013.

So a PS5 in 2021 will definitely have better than Titan X real world performance. But what about a PS5 in 2018?

It is less than 1/4th if you look at the benchmarks and try and equalize settings,

To achieve the processing power jump of this gen over the last whilst staying within in power limits, thermal limits, and new price paradigms, the last gen had to last from 2005-2013.

So a PS5 in 2021 will definitely have better than Titan X real world performance. But what about a PS5 in 2018?

-Bad ports, locked frame rates, game developer decisions, among other factors, make it a little difficult to compare a closed platform to an open one.

The previous gen was very pricey and wasn't held to the same standards as the current one or previous ones.

That's comparing a new console in 2006 that cost 800$ to make to one that costs less than 400$ in 2013.
Despite half the cost, 7 years to get 8-10 times as much power.

So 5 years at the same price point is not something that's out of the question to get a 4 times jump. Maybe unlikely, but not a ridiculous notion.

This far out though, we can only speculate how things will turn out 3 years from now. This far out, these types of things tend to do much better than most people expect.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
minus looks link its something else and these pngs are 12,13mb and failing on abload for being too big :(

If you want to upload uncompressed images the two best places are Sta.sh (my personal favorite, the same host as Deviant art) and Flickr (offers 1tb free storage.)

I believe http://minus.com/ allows you upload uncompressed. Abload.de was popular on gaf for a while too, but I haven't used it in a while.

Do not use Minus. They don't allow embedding anymore, and are horribly unreliable.

Abload lately has been really inconsistent and for several users (myself included) embedded images load for a portion of a second then just fail out.

Hi OP, your PC rig is amazing, but I'm pretty sure you are only seeing the benefit of 12GB GDDR5 with those 3x TITAN X in SLI. However, what you are seeing is close to 2.5x the computing speed since results start dropping in SLI after 2x GPU's.

There is no game on the market that could slow you down, I suggest playing The Witcher 3 (Uber everything) and Crysis 3 in 4K all settings maxed out.

-Bad ports, locked frame rates, game developer decisions, among other factors, make it a little difficult to compare a closed platform to an open one.
Sigh... that is an extremely deflective way to go around an ever increasing pile of data points.
That implies that there are too many mitigating factors so that we can never compare at all,even though you yourself came up with some 4x figure. We currently have 2 years of data over dozens of games that point to what I was saying. Furthermore, you have games whose framerates are unlocked up to 60 that give us an incredibly accurate idea of how the consoles fair in comparison to PC hardware. The more frames per second, the more we can know about overhead and the low points.

The battlefield series for example, or call of duty: just lock your PC @ 60fps externally, equalize IQ/cvars, and examine the portions of the console game that run the worst. You can easily find the DF videos that show 4k console settings on a number of video cards to see what I mean.

Sigh... that is an extremely deflective way to go around an ever increasing pile of data points.
That implies that there are too many mitigating factors so that we can never compare at all,even though you yourself came up with some 4x figure. We currently have 2 years of data over dozens of games that point to what I was saying. Furthermore, you have games whose framerates are unlocked up to 60 that give us an incredibly accurate idea of how the consoles fair in comparison to PC hardware. The more frames per second, the more we can know about overhead and the low points.

The battlefield series for example, or call of duty: just lock your PC @ 60fps externally, equalize IQ/cvars, and examine the portions of the console game that run the worst. You can easily find the DF videos that show 4k console settings on a number of video cards to see what I mean.

Actually I was using the 4x figure several other posters used. Particularly the one that you responded to a page ago.
Every benchmark I can find comparing the Titan X and the Radeon HD 7850 also suggests the 4x.
The PS4 is supposed to be using something similar to the 7850.

That implies that there are too many mitigating factors so that we can never compare at all,
I never said that a comparison isn't possible. It's just difficult.
For example, "The average PC game looks better than the average PS4 game."
Even if we have tons and tons of data, it's not very easy to compare the two.
PC games have a very long history, and much of it looks much worse than every PS4 game, and parts of it look much much much better than it. Speculating the answer to this is probably pretty easy, but if we trim down the history to the past 10 years, it becomes difficult.

At some point, the average PC game probably looks better than the average PS4 game, and at some other point the opposite. When would that be? There's so much data, but how do you get it all and how do you compare it objectively?

More so, my point is that there's no absolute way to find an answer. You can only make speculations and educated guesses.

On a typical case, I will agree with you.
But not on an absolute case
when there are so many factors.

ps5 in 2018 is very unlikely. and do you honestly believe sony would release a new console less than 4x as powerful as ps4? also, gpu tech is still advancing at a fairly decent rate. pascal next year will bring better-than-titanx performance at the 500 dollar price range, likely with power consumption similar to a 980. add on 2 more years to that and even if sony was releasing a ps5 holiday 2018 theres no way it wouldnt beat titan x.

Actually I was using the 4x figure several other posters used. Particularly the one that you responded to a page ago.
Every benchmark I can find comparing the Titan X and the Radeon HD 7850 also suggests the 4x.

Your problem is you are comparing the titan x performance to something that is not a ps4. Start comparing it to a ps4s setting in performance accross anumber of games and it is easy to see how a titan x pushes greater performance @ 4x the pixels. Please remember that the PS4s GPU is sharing bandwidth and attached to a jaguar CPU.
ps5 in 2018 is very unlikely. and do you honestly believe sony would release a new console less than 4x as powerful as ps4? also, gpu tech is still advancing at a fairly decent rate. pascal next year will bring better-than-titanx performance at the 500 dollar price range, likely with power consumption similar to a 980. add on 2 more years to that and even if sony was releasing a ps5 holiday 2018 theres no way it wouldnt beat titan x.

I have no idea about anything that sony would do, what I believe really does not matter. I was just pointing out how exactly long it took for last gen to reach this gen and extrapolating that time scale to this gen.

I honestly do believe though that people theroy crafting about next generation consoles right now are ignoring the increase in TDP and wattage that the highest end PC hardware has undergone in the last decade. Do consider that... especially concerning GCN and AMD chips... which a console would use. I would nonetheless hope that when they release a ps5 (whenever that is) that they make it better than a vanilla titan x in performance.
how the hell did this conversation begin in THIS thread?

KingBroly

Banned
GTA5 maybe? Witcher 3 definitely. MGS5 probably.

I mean...I'm sure your PC laughs at what you're going to throw at it, and will for a long time.

Out of all the screens you posted, the Lego one looks the best to me. Looks like ice.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Uninstall Geforce Experience and just manually update your own drivers. The program does nothing good for you except use your GPU/CPU for no reason.

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mad Max looks pretty nice at 4K

But a game that really impressed me visually is Alien Isolation, definitely get that.

It's also ridiculously easy on your GPU so you can crank the resolution up a ton, hell my 280x ran it at 1440p without issue

thelastword

Banned
Almost as good as my pc :).

But yes, I think a lot of recommendations in this thread are spot on although I must disagree with Witcher 3 to be honest, in terms of graphical fidelity I don't find it very impressive, far better looking games, hell GTA V looks much better than Witcher 3 on PC IMO.

Ryse is a good shout and it's on sale on steam at the minute as well.
I agree for an open world game originally based on last gen consoles GTA5 is really impressive. It's definitely the best looking open world game you will get on PC, especially with such a rig to max it out.

Nice joke, there's no way medium/high level tech in 2018/2019 used in PS5 is not gonna beat Titan X/GTX980 TI. That's like saying GTX280 beats the PS4. What's more in the upcoming years the gpu market is gonna make a huge leap with those new tech finally coming out. It's gonna have Volta tech or AMD's equivalent and it's gonna be glorious.
Absolutely, there are so many huge advances coming in the next year and next few years both on AMD, NVidia and even intel's side of the equation relative to graphics processing. Stacked memory, less heat, better APU's, less power draw. A PS5 releasing in 2019/2020 should be much better than a Titan X or a 980ti and even the flagship cards from the big N in the next two years on PC.

The previous gen was very pricey and wasn't held to the same standards as the current one or previous ones.

That's comparing a new console in 2006 that cost 800$ to make to one that costs less than 400$ in 2013.
Despite half the cost, 7 years to get 8-10 times as much power.

So 5 years at the same price point is not something that's out of the question to get a 4 times jump. Maybe unlikely, but not a ridiculous notion.

This far out though, we can only speculate how things will turn out 3 years from now. This far out, these types of things tend to do much better than most people expect.
Agreed with all this, pretty solid and level-headed post.

I never said that a comparison isn't possible. It's just difficult.
For example, "The average PC game looks better than the average PS4 game."
Even if we have tons and tons of data, it's not very easy to compare the two.
PC games have a very long history, and much of it looks much worse than every PS4 game, and parts of it look much much much better than it. Speculating the answer to this is probably pretty easy, but if we trim down the history to the past 10 years, it becomes difficult.

At some point, the average PC game probably looks better than the average PS4 game, and at some other point the opposite. When would that be? There's so much data, but how do you get it all and how do you compare it objectively?

More so, my point is that there's no absolute way to find an answer. You can only make speculations and educated guesses.

On a typical case, I will agree with you.
But not on an absolute case
when there are so many factors.
Again agreed, the only thing I'd say to you is that the PS4 is closer to a 7870 than a 7850. Perhaps you can call it a 7870 with two missing CU's, but it does have other advantages relative to memory access.

impact

Banned
Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?

Yea, I play games on my PC. I notice when my framerate is lower via cl_showfps 1 in CS:GO.

Higher framerates without the shit program every time. Just manually upgrade your drivers.

Kezen

Banned
Mad Max looks pretty nice at 4K

But a game that really impressed me visually is Alien Isolation, definitely get that.

Alien Isolation is truly magnificent and runs at 60fps rather easily on PC, while limited to 30fps on both consoles.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/high-tech-fear--alien-isolation

Not only that but the PC version even features tech not found on any console skus, tessellation, contact-hardening shadows and HDAO.
Thanks AMD. :D

Top Bottom