• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have you just bought?

VN1X

Banned
Can't stop buying books! This is my August haul.

40K: Ciaphas Cain Trilogy
40K: Eisenhorn Omnibus
40K: Night Lords Omnibus
40K: Pariah
40K: Penitent
Dune: Messiah
Dune: Children of Dune
Southern Reach Trilogy
Stormlight Archive 1-4

m5nMAQ3.jpg
iJGc9BR.jpg
gO4OVpW.jpg
3uNxWr3.jpg
4dKS1UN.jpg
jnCA9mx.jpg

EAdEtEZ.jpg
4xCJpJN.png
w2b6LTn.png

I think I might have a problem... :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Mohonky

Purchased this small cargo bottle holder for my bike to hold my JBL Charge 4 speaker

P0t0jEv.jpg

PSyDJK9.jpg

wpJedkg.jpg
I actually keep looking for a decent set of headphones for my mountain bike. I have been considering Shokz but not sure how they'd go under a full face helmet. Same with trying to work out speaker / Bluetooth modules similar to motorbikes.

Cyberpunkd

I actually keep looking for a decent set of headphones for my mountain bike. I have been considering Shokz but not sure how they'd go under a full face helmet. Same with trying to work out speaker / Bluetooth modules similar to motorbikes.
Never mind helmet, wind in your ears will make Shokz pointless.

Fermbiz

Gold Member

For biking and exercising in general, i find that the Power Beats Pro to be awesome!

Cyberpunkd

For biking and exercising in general, i find that the Power Beats Pro to be awesome!
Yes, I’m still rocking first gen with ear hooks, what an absolute great design. It’s a shame that in chasing slimmer, smaller trend they got rid of it in the current version.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I know it’s a bit overkill, but I really wanted to futureproof this thing.
I don't blame you. It takes a lot of effort to convert and curate content for a Plex server. My Plex server is running on an 11th gen Intel Dell Optiplex mini desktop and I'm getting worried about it. I recently moved my library to a couple of external 4tb NVMe SSD's to get rid of platter drives. I want to build a SAN for it.

I'm thinking I may replace the Optiplex with an M2 Mac Mini. I have a late 2012 model I bought 10 years ago when they still came with somewhat replaceable HDD's. I replaced the HDD with an SSD a few years ago and its run very well all things considered. It hasn't received updates since Catalina so I don't trust it any more.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Lunar shift Xbox controller so i can play games on my pc - thinking elden ring or resident evil 2/4.

Maybe bg3 or starfield though.

Lots of games ive missed out on the past few years.

Last edited:
car insurance. it's about £100 more expensive than last year just because of inflation/interest rates. have been paying £36/month since last september and the cheapest i can find now is £44/month.

this time i just sucked it up and paid it all in one go as it works out a bit cheaper because of no interest. I could get some quotes for <£500 (lowest was about £490 or ~£40/month) if i left out breakdown and legal protection. my old insurance (or current) has those so i would have had to skimp on that. i can't go without breakdown and the difference to add the legal protection was ~£20/year so i'm not too mad. so i paid £520 all together which works out at ~£43.30/month. so it's still about a £7-8/month extra.

i have 18 years NCD so fuck that i guess? still paying more and my voluntary excess has skyrocketed from £250 to £600.

know what the best bit is? i hardly even fucking drive anymore lol. 1-2 times a week. some weekends i might go a road trip but that's not that often. have been thinking about ditching the car completely but it's good to have. anyway the insurance is paid for another year. the MOT is due soon which shouldn't be too bad. next year if prices get any higher then it might be best to just sell the fucking thing. i paid £5800 for it 2 and a half years ago and if i sold it today i could probably get all that back and more (it's apparently valued at ~£6,600 right now)! if second hand car prices are still fucking expensive next year i could probably claw back all the money i paid for the car!

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter303

car insurance. it's about £100 more expensive than last year just because of inflation/interest rates. have been paying £36/month since last september and the cheapest i can find now is £44/month.

this time i just sucked it up and paid it all in one go as it works out a bit cheaper because of no interest. I could get some quotes for <£500 (lowest was about £490 or ~£40/month) if i left out breakdown and legal protection. my old insurance (or current) has those so i would have had to skimp on that. i can't go without breakdown and the difference to add the legal protection was ~£20/year so i'm not too mad. so i paid £520 all together which works out at ~£43.30/month. so it's still about a £7-8/month extra.

i have 18 years NCD so fuck that i guess? still paying more and my voluntary excess has skyrocketed from £250 to £600.

know what the best bit is? i hardly even fucking drive anymore lol. 1-2 times a week. some weekends i might go a road trip but that's not that often. have been thinking about ditching the car completely but it's good to have. anyway the insurance is paid for another year. the MOT is due soon which shouldn't be too bad. next year if prices get any higher then it might be best to just sell the fucking thing. i paid £5800 for it 2 and a half years ago and if i sold it today i could probably get all that back and more (it's apparently valued at ~£6,600 right now)! if second hand car prices are still fucking expensive next year i could probably claw back all the money i paid for the car!
Check the breakdown level is the same level as last year. My insurance tried to bump me up to a more expensive level hoping I wouldn't notice. RAC also used to do this every year without fail. I told them to fuck off.

Hardly driving is a rating factor. The yearly sweet spot is 8000 miles - higher or lower will raise the price. For example, someone who drives only 500 miles/yr isn't getting enough driving time to maintain the skills in the eyes of the insurance company.

Starfield Premium edition. Steam wanted £86 but I got it for £64.

Also EA FC 24. I don’t mind £35…

Hardly driving is a rating factor. The yearly sweet spot is 8000 miles - higher or lower will raise the price. For example, someone who drives only 500 miles/yr isn't getting enough driving time to maintain the skills in the eyes of the insurance company.
I usually put in 4000 miles/year and did the same this time. It still went up. Maybe next time I’ll see if raising it brings price down

Cyberpunkd

For example, someone who drives only 500 miles/yr isn't getting enough driving time to maintain the skills in the eyes of the insurance company.
Is this real? LOL

Driving is probably one of rare skills when you can get back to it after a few months / years and do fine after a few minutes.

Although given how Americans pass their driving license and how they drive something that is mostly coffin on wheels I am not surprised anything to do with US car industry is bonkers.

I just did the math: 8000 miles is 13k km, which is approx. 1000km per month WTFFFFFFFFFF, it's like you spend your whole life in the car.

Fools idol

Banned
Starfield Premium edition. Steam wanted £86 but I got it for £64.

Also EA FC 24. I don’t mind £35…

I usually put in 4000 miles/year and did the same this time. It still went up. Maybe next time I’ll see if raising it brings price down
how and where did you get it for £64 mate

Forsete

Well this happened, who knows when? But I noticed a strange sound about a week ago, this Thursday I found the source of the problem.
Anyway, I was lucky it didn't puncture the tyre.

Ow9zwbR.jpg

So new springs today, and a friend and I did the work today as well. Both front springs were replaced. Took about 4-5 hours on the driveway. :messenger_expressionless:
Sorry, don't have pictures of the new parts because my hands were covered in rust, dirt and WD40. So I didn't feel like holding my phone. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Well this happened, who knows when? But I noticed a strange sound about a week ago, this Thursday I found the source of the problem.

Ow9zwbR.jpg

So new springs today, and a friend and I did the work today as well. Both front springs were replaced. Took about 4-5 hours on the driveway. :messenger_expressionless:
Sorry, don't have pictures of the new parts because my hands were covered in rust, dirt and WD40. So I didn't feel like holding my phone. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
Happened to me too but just one spring. Was driving about and heard a banging noise. I’m not good with cars and can hardly change a tire lol.

Food counts as things just bought right...

Took the family out for father's day down under, nice steak dinner and some drinks. Wagyu eye fillet with a red wine jus was just to die for, my son got the Wagyu rump and loved it more with green peppercorn sauce. Wifey had an amazing seafood tasting plate with the most amazing Skull Island prawns.

Ow9zwbR.jpg

I see that all the time. not sure where you live but road salt screws with the spring then a rock hits it and boom. It's been broken for a while, look at that rust on the inside. Get an alignment.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Rip money, 5.000 down the drain for a truck driver license. Going to start at 16 september. I always wanted to drive a truck since i was a kid and felt like now is the time to spend a few years driving one. Heard theory is hard to do, but will see how it goes.

Forsete

I see that all the time. not sure where you live but road salt screws with the spring then a rock hits it and boom. It's been broken for a while, look at that rust on the inside. Get an alignment.
Sweden, we love road salt!

Will do, and I just got an alignment a few months ago. :messenger_downcast_sweat: Oh well, this time they only need to check the front wheels I guess.
I read somewhere that you should let the springs settle first, so I'll wait a few weeks.

Sweden, we love road salt!

Will do, and I just got an alignment a few months ago. :messenger_downcast_sweat: Oh well, this time they only need to check the front wheels I guess.
I read somewhere that you should let the springs settle first, so I'll wait a few weeks.
Never heard of springs settling before.

Top Bottom