• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is a Genre You Absolutely HATE?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'll go first. I CANNOT STAND hero shooters. Every time I see a new one is being released, it makes me groan.

• The character movement is always either too fast or way too slow.
  • The small team mechanics seem to create the most toxic playerbases, especially if you pick it up well after launch.
  • There's no fuflfillment/progress to practicing with bots, so you get thrown into the moshpit at the start.
  • Reloading always seems too slow.
  • No meaningful PVE modes, always PVP only.

I've tried a lot of these games. Maybe there's one I'd like that I just haven't found (I was a fan of Paragon, so Deadlock gives me some hope). But I just don't like any of the ones I've played.

Is there a genre that you just can't stand?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't like sports games nor realistic racing games.

Anything multiplayer focused is also a no for me, from MOBAs to MMOs to hero shooters and the like. I do like co-op games tho, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and Earth Defense Force 5 and 6 being my favorites.

Aenima

I dont really hate any genre cuz when its done right i still might enjoy it, but Rogue Like games are the ones i usually avoid by genre alone. Even games like Returnal where i loved the shooting gameplay, i ended up droping the game because f the rogue like mechanics.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
JRPG. Turn based battle types.
I’m probably gonna get some stick for this but Souls like I have tried. the laggy attacks moves tied to stamina and the whole overly hard aspect just puts me off. I don’t want to have to get good etc. I’m not a masochist, a game shouldn’t be like that in my mind it should be fun. To me it’s not fun.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Open world, particularly if the word "crafting" or "survival" appears anywhere in the description.

There are open world games that I enjoy, but they're few and far between due mostly to the insistence on copy-pasted bullshit. The Yakuza series does it best due to the maps being so focused. Ironically, I think earlier open world games were a hell of a lot better, too, due to their map sizes still being somewhat constrained and having at least some amount of direction to them.

Tower defense is also pretty unpleasant for me. "Roguelike" isn't necessarily the kiss of death, but it's typically a good indicator that there's going to be about 30 minutes of gameplay stretched to 6-12 hours.

jburdick7

Neo Member
Pretty much anything that doesn’t respect my time and wants me to treat it like a job rather than a hobby. So mmos, mobas, hero shooters, etc. Basically most anything that has live service or online (competitive) multiplayer elements at this point 😂.

I hate feeling like I HAVE to play a game every day to keep up. I want to play a game at my pace and not have it go on forever and ever.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Damn that's hard...I wanted to say sports game but there are some sports games I liked (like beach spiker and sega soccer slam ...Please Sega do another opus)...Most of the genres I don't like there's almost always at least a game or 2 of them that I like...
Maybe MMO's so far I haven't encountered one that I really liked, I guess it is not for mebut I wish for mmo fans to get of them anyway.
i mean I can't fight them all at once because it would become an MMO.

reinking

Gold Member
I do not hate any genre and play games from most but I do have some I dislike more than others. Usually hack-n-slash that end up being just button mashing and overly punishing Action RPG's. I don't want to play through the same boss 20+ times to "get gud."

Rogue like/lite. If your game has that in the description, I immediately stop caring.
This. Nothing puts me off more than rogue likes.

I don't hate these games, I just don't find them fun personally.

Roguelike, don't know where the fun is in these games.

Battle royal, don't like walking around a map for 10 minutes to find another opponent, I prefer TDM.
PUBG is the only battle Royale that I think deserves the name at least out of the mainstream ones. It's a struggle and the rush of top 10 is exhilarating. That being said I haven't played PUBG in like 3 years.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Racing games, for me

Majukun

my weak points have always been stealth and survival horror...for stealth i just don't like the mechanic in general, hence I almost never played stealth games and thus i'm bad at them

for survival horrors it's mostly the tank controls...anything that doesn't control fluidly I struggle appreciating, even if I understand why the clunky controls are there

Cakeboxer

I guess it's not exactly a genre, but i hate cinematic games. My time is limited and i want to spend it with actually playing my games and not watching them for hours.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
3a83eb0d-7560-49f7-b61e-f5729ba508c3_text.gif

Really I'm playing retro games more than anything new these days. Thank god for Nintendo.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Fighting game genre is like bottom of the barrel for me. I understand the appeal for some, but no, I don't want to learn how to do >100 combos and bleed my thumb while doing so.

Rogue like/lite. If your game has that in the description, I immediately stop caring.
It's really unnecessary how angry seeing that in the description makes me. There is no reason why a genre type should upset me. I should just move on to other things like I do with literally everything else, but nope. Unjustifiable anger.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't know where to place it exactly, but I really dislike the battle system in Final Fantasy 12. I think JRPGs should have turn based battles.

snapdragon

Neo Member
I'll go first. I CANNOT STAND hero shooters. Every time I see a new one is being released, it makes me groan.

• The character movement is always either too fast or way too slow.
  • The small team mechanics seem to create the most toxic playerbases, especially if you pick it up well after launch.
  • There's no fuflfillment/progress to practicing with bots, so you get thrown into the moshpit at the start.
  • Reloading always seems too slow.
  • No meaningful PVE modes, always PVP only.

I've tried a lot of these games. Maybe there's one I'd like that I just haven't found (I was a fan of Paragon, so Deadlock gives me some hope). But I just don't like any of the ones I've played.

Is there a genre that you just can't stand?
Non arcade sports games. These games are no longer the technical marvels the used to be and are all the same

grooverdude

Neo Member
Turn-based battle systems: you spend too much time in combat mode, and losing after several dozen minutes+ and having to slowly do it again just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

JRPGs: With the exception of a small handful, I find that the writing in these tends to be juvenile and sorely lacking in nuance. It feels like they're largely written by people with very little life experience/widsom.

Souls games: I played the ever-living fuck out of Dark Souls 1 when that first came to PC, but that was mostly because I was enthralled by the world design/music/art. The formula of reach a bonfire, memorize the upcoming gauntlet to the boss fight, memorize the boss patterns and execute from memory became incredibly dull for me. I've bounced off every Souls(like) I've played since then.

Roguelike/lite: Not a fan of permadeath in most of its incarnations. Making it really far in a run, only to get taken back down to easy beginner stages isn't mechanically interesting. Let me try again immediately with my newfound knowledge, right where I left off.

nikos

Anything involving the word "strategy."
Games where you have to use "spirit vision."
Most stealth.
Most metroidvanias.
Most roguelikes.
Most soulslikes.
Most survival games.
Most single player/offline games don't hold my interest anymore.
Pretty much any of the bullshit narrative games Sony has been putting and has inspired for the last decade.
Deck building games.
MOBAs.
Fighting games are getting progressively worse but I play them.
I like ARPGs but the way they do "seasons" is stupid, I don't like to constantly re-roll characters.
Puzzle games.
Classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:

The Saint

Hate may be too strong of word, but I have no patience for games that are Soulsborne. To this day I do not know how I was able to beat Code Vein and Stellar Blade. Every other game in that sort of style has stressed me beyond my ability to enjoy and complete which makes me sad because I love the atmosphere in those games when not in battle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom