• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

At some point don't Wii U owners deserve to know what is next? We bought a Wii U and see the release schedule slowing down to a complete stop, without knowing what to expect. All I can say is, I hope Nintendo has something planned to create new Nintendo fans, because the last years of the Wii and the Wii U as a whole did a great job to narrow their consumers down to the hardcorest of hardcore fans.

No. You're getting into entitled fan territory here. Stop being silly.

beril

I'm not talking about the Console, I'm talking about a Handheld with a shared library with the Console. As you know, CPU performance doesn't really scale with resolution, so while you can produce similar performance across 1080p and 540p with 2 GPUs, one being 1/4th the performance or even less. The CPU needs to remain similar between these devices.

Yes I know, so was I, sorry if that wasn't clear.

but you're not going to get near enough GPU power in the handheld that you can render games like The Order or AC Unity in 480p or 560p, especially not if you focus on the CPU performance. Games like that would have to be massively downgraded regardless, so focusing on having CPU on par with consoles would be meaningless and downright damaging as it inevitably comes at the cost of GPU performance.

Turrican3

Yes, this is basically what I think Nintendo SHOULD do, I don't really expect them to, but it can be done.
To be honest, I was talking about a home/handheld configuration closer, but skewed towards the low-end spectrum, while I think your theory seems (as far as I understand) more hi-end oriented.

z0m3le

Banned
Yes I know, so was I, sorry if that wasn't clear.

but you're not going to get near enough GPU power in the handheld that you can render games like The Order or AC Unity in 480p or 560p, especially not if you focus on the CPU performance. Games like that would have to be massively downgraded regardless, so focusing on having CPU on par with consoles would be meaningless and downright damaging as it inevitably comes at the cost of GPU performance.

I don't expect the Handheld to exceed Wii U graphically. 128GFLOPs on polaris would be only a slight increase over Wii U. Maybe I'm the one not being clear with my objective in this suggestion.

Nintendo shouldn't compete for western 3rd parties, they should focus on a single platform that allows their current 3rd parties from the handheld to target both devices for as close to "free resources" as possible. This can attract Japanese developers who are making games for PS4, yes not every title would be a minimal effort port, but it should be inside the realm of possibility with these specs in the handheld.

z0m3le

Banned
To be honest, I was talking about a home/handheld configuration closer, but skewed towards the low-end spectrum, while I think your theory seems (as far as I understand) more hi-end oriented.

This Handheld would be fairly low end, sure for a handheld, the CPU would be nice, and originally I was talking about only 2 A72 cores, but the more blu and I went back and forth, the more I decided to support the idea of a quad core A72. 128gflops in the handheld and as much as 1TFLOPs in the console, would be just inside striking distance for XB1 graphics parity for the console. Another thing people aren't really thinking about is how much a 4inch to 5inch screen allows you to draw back on game details, less foilage, less draw distance, plenty of places to cut back graphical effects to make a 6 to 8 times more powerful console running 4x the resolution look close.

Peru

Entitled customer maybe. We bought a Wii U, got let down and now it's up to Nintendo to make sure we don't become so let down we don't even want their next system anymore.

Wii U was a step in the right direction for me personally as a gamer. The Wii was were they kinda lost me. Fair play, they got their returns from it, but it is my least favorite Nintendo console and a generation of games that spoke to different people than me (with some SMG-shaped exceptions). With the Wii U they've returned to solid AAA productions, even successful new IPs. There's just been too little of it for any sustained commercial success, and it's overpriced for its performance because of a failed gimmick. But as a signal of direction it's better for me than the Wii. And the 3DS too, a core gamer system more than the DS.

The_Lump

Banned
Entitled customer maybe. We bought a Wii U, got let down and now it's up to Nintendo to make sure we don't become so let down we don't even want their next system anymore.

More accurately: It's up to Nintendo to convince you they are concerned about whether you feel let down. The distinction isn't important from a consumer perspective, but it helps prevent these entitlement issues if you remind yourself of the reality every so often.
Don't for a second think a consumer electronics company genuinely cares ir ;)

maxcriden

Nope, it's pre-registration for Miitomo.

It's both:

Nintendo of America, Europe and Australia confirmed in separate statements today that the Nintendo Account will open with Miitomo registration on the 17th. As previously promised, existing Nintendo Network IDs, emails or social networking accounts (Twitter, Facebook) to create the account.

Among the benefits for early adopters will be unspecified bonuses for Miitomo, and the My Nintendo service will come along with Miitomo.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41879/nintendo-account-launching-in-west-february-17

That's a terrible idea for a game console, and very unlike Nintendo especially.
I think you're vastly overrating the importance of the CPU for games in general. Sure there are a few outliers complaining about CPU performance on PS4/Xbox one, but for the vast majority of games the GPU is the bottleneck.

And while blu is right that it won't be possible to run demanding PS4 games on a handheld with just a graphical downgrade, I don't think it's necessarily easier to do a massive graphical downgrade than it is to free up CPU cycles, and a lot of the time it goes hand in hand.

While I agree that focus should be on the GPU, Nintendo has a horrible track record with CPUs. The Wii U is severly bottlenecked because of it, even with its weak GPU. They should definitely put more thought into the CPU situation on NX.

While I agree that focus should be on the GPU, Nintendo has a horrible track record with CPUs. The Wii U is severly bottlenecked because of it, even with its weak GPU. They should definitely put more thought into the CPU situation on NX.

Well go back to the gamecube and they had the best CPU of the generation, the problem was they used it for the next 2 gens

z0m3le

Banned
I think the bolded is what most people are hoping for. Or, I suppose, that the handheld CPU situation will be "good enough" to allow Nintendo to develop games that work well across both form factors without feeling inherently gimped on the handheld.

There's also an argument to be made (at least if they go with 14LPP) for lots of A53s at a relatively low clock speed. Assuming 15% power reductions over 14LPE are true, you could hit 1GHz with 12 cores and consume a little under a Watt to hit 27,600 DMIPS (in a pretty small die area, at that). You're depending on developers to parallelise pretty heavily, and losing out a little on performance with code that can't be parallelised, but in a situation where every gain in perf/W saves you money in development costs down the line it's worth keeping in mind.

Yeah, I decided to take a look at this. I'm using A57 as a standin for Jaguar, since the later isn't really a popular core design and they perform about the same. 7 A57 cores clocked at 1.6ghz would have the same processing power as 17 A53 cores clocked at 1ghz (based on A57 cores out performing A53 cores by 56%) now I'm not trying to hit that mark with the handheld, it is possible with A53 cores, but you would need about 18 of them, considering that is still only 9mm^2 at 14nm, it is possible but a bit insane, even if the power envelope would be 1.6 watts.

My problem with this approach is the parallelised code, it would require a lot of work to port a title, and honestly I don't think these cpus need to be 1:1, I think the handheld can get away with less performance in the CPU while only having superficial downgrades.

I did the math and 4 A72 cores @ 1.4ghz + 4 A53 cores at 1ghz would perform about as well as 15 A53 cores at 1ghz, this CPU would consume 1.4watts and have an area of 10mm^2 at 14nm. The benefit with this design is that code that can't be paralleled, don't have to be, while giving a decent level of performance that should fit inside a decent power envelope.

I know it is a funny way to do it and admitting it is a rough estimation based on this article: http://www.gizmochina.com/2015/03/27/huawei-reveals-kirin-930-uses-enhanced-cortex-a53e-cores/ "It could have used the Cortex A57 processor which is almost 56% faster than A53."

As for 4CUs, I'd love to see them, would make a console and handheld much easier to pair, but it really comes down to polaris's power draw, if they can get it down low enough, even knocking down some clocks on the CPU side could be a very beneficial gain. If Polaris can draw say 1.2 watts for 4CUs @ 400mhz at 14nm LPP, it could be perfect for the handheld, and would still be reasonable with the CPU I outlined above. The one big benefit here is if Nintendo hits 1TFLOP on the console, you'd only have about 5x more performance on the console, pretty reasonable considering the resolution we expect on the handheld and would still give some room for added effects / draw distance and hit a parity with XB1 (this is assuming they use polaris in the console, which I know you don't expect, but it isn't outside the realm of possibilities.

Thinking about the CPU some more, it could be possible to do 2 A72 cores @ 1.4ghz + 8 A53 cores at 1ghz, which is about 13 A53 cores @ 1ghz, still could help with code that can't be paralleled, and would only take up 8mm^2 @ 14nm.

Part of me can't believe it. The other part of me is shaking his head it took till 2016 lol.

Lol

They STILL have to execute. Lots of room to fuck things up but hey

If they are using Apple and Google as a roadmap.... They cant mess up too badly?

Right guys?

TheMoon

Tomorrow begins My Nintendo's open registration, doesn't it? Perhaps we get some clues with this.

The thirst is real.

No, Nintendo Account. Not My Nintendo. After making that Nintendo Account you'll be able to pre-reg for Miitomo. Nothing happens with My Nintendo until March.

So could the NX Platform be in trouble if PSVR really is coming this fall?

No. PSVR is a niche product for only the hardcore... Mass market ain't gonna bother it will flop.

It will kick off in 2017 tho but it's most certainly no threat to NX whatever it may be!
Remember, the NX will steal PSVR Thunder

Neoxon

No. PSVR is a niche product for only the hardcore... Mass market ain't gonna bother it will flop.

It will kick off in 2017 tho but it's most certainly no threat to NX whatever it may be!
Remember, the NX will steal PSVR Thunder
Wouldn't it depend on which NX device comes out?

thefro

So could the NX Platform be in trouble if PSVR really is coming this fall?

I think it's a positive since it's going to split Sony's focus and opens the door for Nintendo to start chipping away at their userbase.

Sony's ultimately going to lose the VR war to Facebook/Google who have tons more money.

I think it's a positive since it's going to split Sony's focus and opens the door for Nintendo to start chipping away at their userbase.

Sony's ultimately going to lose the VR war to Facebook/Google who have tons more money.

This is a weird way to look at it

I don't thing the new unified account system will allow crossbuy between 3DS & Wii U like Sony did, am I right ?

Not likely. They will leave 3DS/WiiU as is and move forward with NX

Griss

No, Nintendo Account. Not My Nintendo. After making that Nintendo Account you'll be able to pre-reg for Miitomo. Nothing happens with My Nintendo until March.

I've seen a lot of people get these confused.

I'm thinking they should have called 'My Nintendo' 'Nintendo Rewards' or something to avoid confusion. 'My Nintendo' sounds like an account system. Perhaps when we see it all up and running it'll make more sense.

TheMoon

I don't thing the new unified account system will allow crossbuy between 3DS & Wii U like Sony did, am I right ?

No, because the current one already does that. Nintendo Network ID is a unified account across both platforms. Your eShop account is your NNID. If a publisher supports cross-buy for their title, then you can get this right now, today. Like for example when buying OlliOlli. It's simply an issue of barely anybody supporting it since very few games are available on both 3DS and Wii U. If you want to talk about VC then that's a business decision, not a feature issue.

No, because the current one already does that. Your eShop account is your NNID. If a publisher supports cross-buy for their title, then you can get this right now. Like for example when buying OlliOlli. If you want to talk about VC then that's a business decision, not a feature issue.

Lets not pretend NNID isnt a little convoluted sometimes

They did several improvements over the years so it works much better

Im still glad we are getting an account system reboot for the next generation

KingWool

Banned
With the news of PSVR launching in the fall; it has me worried about whatever NX is coming this year. I hope the PSVR doesn't take away hype from the NX

Lutherian

No, because the current one already does that. Nintendo Network ID is a unified account across both platforms. Your eShop account is your NNID. If a publisher supports cross-buy for their title, then you can get this right now, today. Like for example when buying OlliOlli. It's simply an issue of barely anybody supporting it since very few games are available on both 3DS and Wii U. If you want to talk about VC then that's a business decision, not a feature issue.

Yes, that "so" unified ! Look at Smash Bros 4 DLC for Wii U and 3DS. You have to get a code from the bill on the eShop, witch isn't in the same menu / page on the 3DS and Wii U. And I don't even talk about the price. That's not what I call unified account and crossbuy.

I doubt that we can use the timeframes of Directs pre 2016 again. Kimishima said that the Directs as they were are gone.

Not saying that there won't be a Direct this month, but right now only Nintendo knows when they will air another Direct, and how they will be like.

There's also an argument to be made (at least if they go with 14LPP) for lots of A53s at a relatively low clock speed. Assuming 15% power reductions over 14LPE are true, you could hit 1GHz with 12 cores and consume a little under a Watt to hit 27,600 DMIPS (in a pretty small die area, at that). You're depending on developers to parallelise pretty heavily, and losing out a little on performance with code that can't be parallelised, but in a situation where every gain in perf/W saves you money in development costs down the line it's worth keeping in mind.

In that case why not go for 8 cores for 2/3 of that? Isn't that similar to xbox360, and greater than Wii U? (i may be wrong it's just what Igoogled) Seems plenty for a handheld, but I don't expect a huge 'western AAA' push like some people. Yes Square Enix is talking about DQXI but there's no reason to expect that to be a super cpu heavy game.

TheMoon

Yes, that "so" unified ! Look at Smash Bros 4 DLC for Wii U and 3DS. You have to get a code from the bill on the eShop, witch isn't in the same menu / page on the 3DS and Wii U. And I don't even talk about the price. That's not what I call unified account and crossbuy.

Doesn't matter what you call it, the account is the same. If a game in question does not support a unified purchase across multiple devices then that's an issue for that specific release and has nothing to do with the account. Cross-buy is not a magical thing that exists in accounts by itself. Even on PSN publishers have to support it explicitly for their release and don't always do it.

But if the handheld was selling disproportionately more globally, and you have a common architecture designed from the outset to ease development across both platforms - why would you invest in home console exclusive content? Logically you'd trim the scope in order to sell it on the much larger user base of handhelds, and also the home console.

Big budget titles have a place in Nintendo's market, because they help bring awareness to their brands. They enhance Nintendo's image in the eyes of consumers. If Nintendo continues on with all their main franchises offering last gen experiences, they are going to find themselves more and more a niche player. They also might want to attract developers who themselves are fans of pushing the envelope. If we go on nothing but the numbers, Zelda Wii U should be a low budget handheld title after the sales of Skyward Sword. There is also no guarantee that handhelds and handheld games will keep them afloat in the west. Sales have fallen off a cliff and many of their new 3DS sales are their hardcore fans double dipping.

Lutherian

Doesn't matter what you call it, the account is the same. If a game in question does not support a unified purchase across multiple devices then that's an issue for that specific release and has nothing to do with the account. Cross-buy is not a magical thing that exists in accounts by itself. Even on PSN publishers have to support it explicitly for their release and don't always do it.

You're right. Now it would be nice for Nintendo to allow same account on multiple devices. I have many friends who doesn't want to buy the same game multiple time on the eShop, on each 3DS each for their kids.

I fully expect Zelda U/NX on the portable. Absolutely no reason not to just because some people on the internet are like "but but its a home console style game" Can't wait for the meltdowns.

3rd parties are a toss up. A company like Square would push for handheld since they are more popular in Japan. (Of course FFXV might be too much for it)

It also depends on if Nintendo mandates both versions. I think they will, since it would just be dumb retail confusion otherwise on only some NX games working on both but we'll see. Just wish it was announced so my head can stop hurting from some of the suggestions in this thread. :p
Nintendo will likely not mandate both version. At most they'd make it easy enough to make a portable game playable on the console that it would be leaving money on the table.
I also don't think NX is getting FFXV. The timing is a bit weird and the porting the engine that will likely never be used again seems like a lot of effort. They seem to be struggling to get the game running decently on console as well, so I think the handheld is out of the window.
DQXI on the handheld makes a lot more sense since UE4 is more scalable and it's turn based.
As for Zelda, i doubt anyone would have a meltdown. I'd be seriously impressed if they can get it running on the handheld. Not sure if there have been any open world game on a handheld that can compare.

How hot does the n3DS runs with its 4 core ARM11 @ 800MHz? Since Nintendo will likely be consideredate about the battery life, would it be realistic to expect Nintendo to push the heat well beyond those numbers? If it doesn't have 3D, though, that would give the NX more room to work with.

yoonshik

What does this mean for Nintendo?

1455633063-1.png

https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/Vk_201602_Overview_Feb16.pdf

I'm not sure if it's been discussed already.

Thraktor

What does this mean for Nintendo?

https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/Vk_201602_Overview_Feb16.pdf

I'm not sure if it's been discussed already.

Rösti;195472286 said:

This does actually give us a bit of new information. Previously we only knew that Nintendo were a contributing member of Khronos, but now we have confirmation that they were on the Vulkan working group specifically. Not immensely surprising, but further evidence that Nintendo may be looking to use Vulkan or a Vulkan-based API for NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom