• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm talking on the cool side of things, not the hot one. Nintendo wanting to straight reenter the arms race with Sony and Microsoft, while at the same time making a compatible or semi compatible handheld is not the way I've ever seen it going.
The actual cool side of things would be the home unit sharing a CPU with the hh. Anything else would require forcing up the hh and keeping down of the home unit. For instance, z0m3le's 4x A72 cores @ 2.3GHz vs 2x A72 @ 1.5GHz is already at a disparity, and he was deliberately trying to make ends meet.

The actual cool side of things would be the home unit sharing a CPU with the hh

I assumed that's what you meant when you said gimping the home cpu? I'm a little confused.
edit: my mistake you said gimping the home unit, but I think it's ok to assume the gpu side is inherently more scalable, even if just used to draw the exact same geometry at higher resolution & quality.

If you want succesful marque games look at something like monster hunter 3 getting a succesful port from the Wii. (And even supported cross play multiplayer with the Wii U version!) And I believe Wipeout HD had a similar feature after a patch, though I never tried it for some reason. I don't buy the argument that a handheld centric cpu wuld be unable to support a new Mario Kart, a new Smash Bros, a new 3D Land or any of the other regulars and not be fit for home use, and the current handheld version are only using a fraction of the cpu available in the *New* 3DS

They could launch with Metroid, F-Zero, Zelda, and 3D Mario and if it is a $300 system with games you cannot play on the handheld I think Nintendo will have settled on a half measure that is just asking for trouble. They know some things for sure now that they didn't know when they thought Wii U could be a hit:

1) western third parties will not be eager yi develop for their console. They cannot rely on this support as they historically have to fill in droughts. There won't be an exclusive Rayman game in the launch window that fans will plan to buy during a drought.

2) a second screen on a console means little to nothing to fans. The Wii U sales speak to this.

3) the presence of high quality IPs and traditional big sellers alone will by no means guarantee console sales. While such games were a big hit on 3DS, almost no such successes came to Wii U. Those that were relatively highly successful sold extremely well in Japan and impressively in NA. And pretty poorly in EU.

4) by the same token, multiplats that are not family friendly hold little appeal for Wii U owners.

Nintendo is starting from the ground up in a sense. If destiny and GTA came to NX, PS/X gamers are still likelier to get those kinds of games on their primary platform that their friends have and for which they are accustomed to getting those sorts of games on. So I don't believe western third party major titles will accomplish much necessarily. Most Wii and DS gamers have lost interest in Nintendo or in gaming in general and have moved on to PC, PS/X or smartphone gaming. At the same time, I think the right game or hook at the right price could draw some of those players back in.
There you go. Nintendo definitely need a game/hook to reignite interest on a mass scale. However, once people get hooked, Nintendo need to create an environment which allows for a more diverse library than what Wii got (not to downplay its library--It's fantastic, but was lacking in key areas). I agree that Nintendo cannot rely on major third party support from western studios out of the gate. It would be a huge mistake, however, to create a console which doesn't allow for them to bring over their games once NX (hopefully) proves itself in the market. Actually, I'd be pretty surprised if Nintendo weren't pulling whatever strings they can in order to get Call of Duty on NX this year. This notion that NX should be a big "F U" to western third parties at its core design is madness. That's not how Nintendo are going to survive in the industry.

I am also somewhat befuddled as to why so many want the exact same games downgraded onto a HH. I mean, let's envision an airport stage in Mario Kart. On the NX home console, there are weather effects, flashing lights everywhere, multiple planes taking off and landing, just impressive things going on in the BG all around. In order to get it to run on the handheld, Nintendo need to cut out all that extra visual flair and the skies are barren. At what point does it stop being the same stage? Is this really what folks want? Why not create additional stages that work better on the small screen and add to the overall variety for those people with both form factors?

Also, I'm in no way trying to rule out cross platform software. There's no reason they can't have your Mario RPGs, Mario Sports titles, Pushmos, and a whole ton more run across multiple hardware types. I'm talking more about specific games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroid, and others which for a variety of reasons make more sense to tailor to a specific machine.

Please see my rambling post up above. I do like the idea of cheaper cross-play options but I'm a bit concerned it would make things overly complicated for the lay player. Regardless, this is already offered to an extent with Mario vs. DK and I'm unsure how successful that experiment was for Nintendo. I will say just VC and indie cross-play alone seems insufficient to what Nintendo could offer if truly looking to innovate in the hardware space. A PS3/Vita situation was not enough to get players interested in the Vita, and by the time it was in full swing it was coming from a position where the console was much more popular than the handheld, and with Nintendo it's the other way around right now, which is all the more reason to make the console as appealing as possible and same with the handheld.
And what better way to do that than via exclusive games/levels? We all know that software sells hardware. Yet, right here we have people saying they don't want a Nintendo console. They just want a handheld. Or you have people only wanting a powerful console who could care less about portables. That's not a good thing, because even with a unified development environment, if a console fails that millions and millions in R&D, inventory, etc flushed down the toilet. Iwata seemed to acknowledge that many western gamers prefer consoles. The PS2 is the best selling piece of gaming hardware of all time and the 3DS will not catch up to any of last generation's home consoles. With mobile taking a huge chunk of the market, there's even more uncertainty in the handheld arena. Nintendo need to do whatever it takes in order to make all of their hardware thrive. Offering gamers a simple "choice" with the same lineup is not the way to do that. Each piece of hardware needs to play to its own strengths and there should be more benefits to buying hardware than just where it can be played.

blu

I assumed that's what you meant when you said gimping the home cpu? I'm a little confused.
edit: my mistake you said gimping the home unit, but I think it's ok to assume the gpu side is inherently more scalable, even if just used to draw the exact same geometry at higher resolution & quality.
By gimping I meant attempts like z0m3le's above where he was trying to make ends artificially meet.

Listen, you have a 2W SoC at one hand (sub-1W CPU, but let's say for the sake of argument that it's a 1W CPU sharp) and a 20+W SoC/APU on the other (yes, I'm being conservative here). Do you really want to have a disparity worse than 1:20 between the CPU and GPU consumption in your home unit? And for what purposes would one want that? That's akin to running a desktop with a 300W GPU and a < 15W CPU (just giving you a scale there).

By gimping I meant attempts like z0m3le's above where he was trying to make ends artificially meet.

Listen, you have a 2W SoC at one hand (sub-1W CPU, but let's say for the sake of argument that it's a 1W CPU sharp) and a 20+W SoC/APU on the other (yes, I'm being conservative here). Do you really want to have a disparity worse than 1:20 between the CPU and GPU consumption in your home unit? And for what purposes would one want that? That's akin to running a desktop with a 300W GPU and a < 15W CPU (just giving you a scale there).

Nope, but that's never been what I expected. 8 times gpu is what I consider good enough, but they might get more by having settings as simple as command line parameters (which could be built in/downloaded to future systems with better specs) to affect scalable things like grass density etc. And I've always advocated the home version having more cpu power to facilitate split screen games, if nothing else.

blu

So will the NX be able to handle Unreal Engine 4?
WiiU can handle UE4. It's about whether Epic will support NX themselves, officially or semi-officially (i.e. an officially-endorsed port by a 3rd party).

Nope, but that's never been what I expected. 8 times gpu is what I consider good enough, but they might get more by having settings as simple as command line parameters (which could be built in/downloaded to future systems with better specs) to affect scalable things like grass density etc. And I've always advocated the home version having more cpu power to facilitate split screen games, if nothing else.
Well, we're not disagreeing about anything then - shared codebase and toolchain is clearly what nintendo are after. That does not necessitate CPU parity between the home and hh units, though. Or that you'll have the same physical model in the tyre, the same number of cars in the grid, the same number of blades of grass in the field, or the same physical interactions with the grassfields. Hypothetically speaking.

Malus

I am also somewhat befuddled as to why so many want the exact same games downgraded onto a HH. I mean, let's envision an airport stage in Mario Kart. On the NX home console, there are weather effects, flashing lights everywhere, multiple planes taking off and landing, just impressive things going on in the BG all around. In order to get it to run on the handheld, Nintendo need to cut out all that extra visual flair and the skies are barren. At what point does it stop being the same stage? Is this really what folks want? Why not create additional stages that work better on the small screen and add to the overall variety for those people with both form factors?

Well I'm just buying the home console, so the less effort spent on doing anything else the better :p

People want Nintendo to fix their software drought problem. The library sharing thing seems like a more feasible solution than them getting full fledged 3rd party support any time soon. I want to see more effort to producing more games and a greater variety of games, rather than just working on different versions of the same game for different hardware.

You phone can handle UE4. Most things can, but Epic didn't want to officially port and support the engine on Wii U for obvious reasons.
I'm hoping Nintendo already got that fixed for their new system.
Also...I wonder if Nintendo would actually use UE4. They have their own very capable engines, but maybe some of their smaller studios could benefit from an engine that people have more experience with.

Pokemaniac

That was never really the question, since the engine is scalable enough to work on phones. The real question is whether the engine will be ported. The most recent rumors suggest that the answer to that question is yes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think quite a few people in this thread are seriously overestimating the extent to which home titles will be able to run on the hh with a mere visuals downgrade - there won't be such a thing for anything outside of low-CPU-usage games like Mario Tennis and the likes. The only scenario where this would be feasible is if nintendo gimped the home unit significantly. That won't happen - it makes zero sense. HH titles running on the home unit - yes. Down-ports with decreased game logic complexity - yes. Full-blown home titles running on the hh with a mere IQ downgrade - no. And this is before considering factors like GPGPU which may or may not scale with res at all.

What if Nintendo was happy with a beefed up handheld being their home console? Think Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV.

orioto

Good Art™

I would imagine it can be done better than that. Like having a big cut in resolution, + weaker textures models.. It should still have the same content on screen, and be damn impressive for a portable game.

Pokemaniac

What if Nintendo was happy with a beefed up handheld being their home console? Think Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV.

When you have Miyamoto of all people saying that he wasn't satisfied with the Wii U's power, it seems somewhat unlikely that they'd skimp on that area for the console.

The "microconsole" market would also be very risky to enter, because even Apple's offerings in that area seem to be failing to catch on.

Well, we're not disagreeing about anything then - shared codebase and toolchain is clearly what nintendo are after. That does not necessitate CPU parity between the home and hh units, though. Or that you'll have the same physical model in the tyre, the same number number of cars in the grid, the same number of blades of grass in the field, or the same physical interactions with the grassfields. Hypothetically speaking.

Not disagreeing too much no, but I am expecting a fully compatible line up, where the impactful gameplay side of interactive elments such as number of cars on a grid in a racing game, or other logic like that would be equal across systems. Can cut down on numbers of birds & fish perhaps.
I don't expect games (at least Nintendo designed ones) will be designed with mind boggling detail for home and then be stripped of everything to work on handheld, rather make an impressive hh game and ratchet up any effects as much as possible on the home console, don't agree that Mario Tennis is the limit for that strategy.

EDarkness

Also, I'm in no way trying to rule out cross platform software. There's no reason they can't have your Mario RPGs, Mario Sports titles, Pushmos, and a whole ton more run across multiple hardware types. I'm talking more about specific games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroid, and others which for a variety of reasons make more sense to tailor to a specific machine.

Why? Because not having to purchase multiple hardware platforms to play games would be ideal. I have an iPad and I can pretty much play all iOS games on it without worrying about getting another platform play games on. It also means I don't have to worry about whether a game is going to work on my iPad. It's one of the great things about iOS and Android devices (though, they have other problems we won't get into). If the NX is a platform like iOS and Android, then I will expect ALL software to work across the platforms. The moment they start segregating, then I'm going to stop supporting that system. I just don't want to be worrying about whether or not I have the handheld version or the console version. My view is simply for them to go all in or don't do it at all. Maybe that's not a popular view, but it's mine.

Just thought of something. What if Nintendo starts using UE4 for some of their games?
Would be a good way to ensure the engine keeps getting updated (and ported to) on NX.
Maybe not for what used to be called EAD Tokyo or the Zelda team, but any studio that has little HD experience.

Neoxon

Just thought of something. What if Nintendo starts using UE4 for some of their games?
Would be a good way to ensure the engine keeps getting updated (and ported to) on NX.
Maybe not for what used to be called EAD Tokyo or the Zelda team, but any studio that has little HD experience.
Nintendo has historically used their own engines for games, with different kinds of middleware occasionally being used. While Nintendo using UE4 isn't impossible, it probably isn't likely since they seem to be more than happy with the tools they already have.

CengizMan

I was actually at a Unreal Engine 4 talk hosted by Epic Games in The Netherlands a couple of hours ago. A member of the audience prompted the speaker with the question whether they were going to support the Wii U. The guy said he did not know but he "did hear that they were talking with Nintendo".

So yeah.

Pokemaniac

What context was this?

Pretty sure this was the original source:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-hardware-technology-gets-better-and-advances

"On the other hand, me and [Yoshiaki] Koizumi-san, director of Galaxy, are always looking to challenge Galaxy and do another 3D action title," Miyamoto continued. "However we can't make so many games at once in parallel.

"But as the hardware technology gets better and advances, I think there will be a lot of opportunity for both options."

When asked what extra hardware power would be needed - and whether this meant Nintendo would now wait for its upcoming NX console - Miyamoto was coy:

"Wii U's definitely good enough in terms of hardware performance, it is more the workload of the team. If you look at Star Fox Zero, the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that's 120 frames. It's really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point."

He seems to cite CPU speed as a limiting factor.

Well I'm just buying the home console, so the less effort spent on doing anything else the better :p

People want Nintendo to fix their software drought problem. The library sharing thing seems like a more feasible solution than them getting full fledged 3rd party support any time soon. I want to see more effort to producing more games and a greater variety of games, rather than just working on different versions of the same game for different hardware.
I want all of that stuff too, but I also want more Mario Kart levels! As we've talked about, Nintendo already have a fair bit of work in preparing what is for all intents and purposes a multiplatform title. I'm not trying to downplay what goes into creating a stage either, but people would be paying more to play them. They're getting people to pay $80 for Fire Emblem this month--I'm not putting it past them! Also, I'm not necessarily saying that the handheld stages wouldn't be available on the console (although they could be funny like that) or that, through SCD magic, one wouldn't be able to enjoy console stages on the handheld.

That SCD patent...we shouldn't forget about that.

I would imagine it can be done better than that. Like having a big cut in resolution, + weaker textures models.. It should still have the same content on screen, and be damn impressive for a portable game.
The scenery in our imaginations must differ, although I'm sure yours is quite a bit more detailed (your wonderful Skyward Sword wallpaper adorns my desktop as we speak). My hopes (perhaps foolish ones) are for the console to be able to upscale HH quality games and add even more bells and whistles on top (not to mention the more CPU-centric tasks). They would be handicapping their home console to hold back on the visual flare in the name of parity w/ the handheld. We'd be looking at a 1080p Mario Kart 8. Nice, but I want Mario Kart in 1080p at 60fps and with Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed levels of crazy shit going on in the bg.

And even if that doesn't happen, I don't want it to be because of limited hardware, but because they've found better ways to use their resources.
Why? Because not having to purchase multiple hardware platforms to play games would be ideal. I have an iPad and I can pretty much play all iOS games on it without worrying about getting another platform play games on. It also means I don't have to worry about whether a game is going to work on my iPad. It's one of the great things about iOS and Android devices (though, they have other problems we won't get into). If the NX is a platform like iOS and Android, then I will expect ALL software to work across the platforms. The moment they start segregating, then I'm going to stop supporting that system. I just don't want to be worrying about whether or not I have the handheld version or the console version. My view is simply for them to go all in or don't do it at all. Maybe that's not a popular view, but it's mine.
Apple aren't in the business of home video game consoles. Don't you see that this line of thought is holding Nintendo to a higher standard than any other publisher or console manufacturer? Should Skyrim work on smart phones? Should I be able to play Madden on any device just by maybe paying whatever the platform holder licensing fees are? The "100% unified library or no deal" mindset is a bit unreasonable and it's also somewhat insulting to Nintendo's developers in implying that they could never find a fun or innovative use of additional hardware power.

Pretty sure this was the original source:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-hardware-technology-gets-better-and-advances

He seems to cite CPU speed as a limiting factor.

Thanks!

Could interpret this whole thing as yet another message about their handheld tech needing to come up to speed honestly, especially as he's citing team workload as being the main issue and how better tech will help that, followed by saying Wii U is good enough. (don't agree that Star Fox is the best example but that's his baby)

maxcriden

It would, and I don't expect it because I have at least some faith in the wsj reports of an sdk for multiple forms being true. But my only doubt comes from the context of Iwata saying that quote not even 3 months after the Wii u launched.

That makes sense to me. It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo changed their mind about hardware. I suppose it's also possible that multiple form factors could mean "within the console space" or "within the HH space." I guess we really are just living out a Waiting for Kimi-san adaptation at this point.

I think quite a few people in this thread are seriously overestimating the extent to which home titles will be able to run on the hh with a mere visuals downgrade - there won't be such a thing for anything outside of low-CPU-usage games like Mario Tennis and the likes. The only scenario where this would be feasible is if nintendo gimped the home unit significantly. That won't happen - it makes zero sense. HH titles running on the home unit - yes. Down-ports with decreased game logic complexity - yes. Full-blown home titles running on the hh with a mere IQ downgrade - no. And this is before considering factors like GPGPU which may or may not scale with res at all.

Thank you. This is the kind of stuff I gave very little knowledge or understanding about. So perhaps in terms of cross-compatibility more realistic expectations include: eShop games, VC, and the ability to play (some, all?) HH games on the console. I want to temper my expectations and keep them in the realm of reality. So if what you're telling me is that we are almost certainly not getting full cross-compatibility, I am happy to defer to your expertise. Would this include Smash-style ports across console/HH as being less likely, though? That is to say, if the console is at XB1 level power, do downports become less feasible, however powerful we expect the HH to be? Or if it is doable, would it be too much a drain on resources?

Yes, their accounts for their future Handheld and future Console will be compatible with each other, that still doesn't explain what NX is though. NX could be a code name for a single device that will work with the other member of the family of systems codenamed "GX". NX and GX will be connected under the same account system, just like iPhone and iPad devices are connected under one account system. They can still be separate systems like how iPhone and iPad are.

If Wii U was a more attractive product, it would have sold more, it just wasn't. The games are solid, but the environment for them was just too disturbed and unorganized to have much potential.

I was under the impression that most or all iOS games work on iPhone and iPad. Is that not generally the case? I don't play many games on my iPad. In fact I think our cat has more iPad games than we do.

I think if the Wii U had a different name, brand, price and lacked the tablet...it would have done GCN numbers and no more. In that scenario I'm assuming we would have seen more third party ports and maybe less late to arrive. This line of thinking leads me to believe the NX console and handheld each need a significant hook.

There you go. Nintendo definitely need a game/hook to reignite interest on a mass scale. However, once people get hooked, Nintendo need to create an environment which allows for a more diverse library than what Wii got (not to downplay its library--It's fantastic, but was lacking in key areas). I agree that Nintendo cannot rely on major third party support from western studios out of the gate. It would be a huge mistake, however, to create a console which doesn't allow for them to bring over their games once NX (hopefully) proves itself in the market. Actually, I'd be pretty surprised if Nintendo weren't pulling whatever strings they can in order to get Call of Duty on NX this year. This notion that NX should be a big "F U" to western third parties at its core design is madness. That's not how Nintendo are going to survive in the industry.

And what better way to do that than via exclusive games/levels? We all know that software sells hardware. Yet, right here we have people saying they don't want a Nintendo console. They just want a handheld. Or you have people only wanting a powerful console who could care less about portables. That's not a good thing, because even with a unified development environment, if a console fails that millions and millions in R&D, inventory, etc flushed down the toilet. Iwata seemed to acknowledge that many western gamers prefer consoles. The PS2 is the best selling piece of gaming hardware of all time and the 3DS will not catch up to any of last generation's home consoles. With mobile taking a huge chunk of the market, there's even more uncertainty in the handheld arena. Nintendo need to do whatever it takes in order to make all of their hardware thrive. Offering gamers a simple "choice" with the same lineup is not the way to do that. Each piece of hardware needs to play to its own strengths and there should be more benefits to buying hardware than just where it can be played.

I'm going to take this paragraph by paragraph since you said a lot and I really appreciate it. Let's see.

(1) I completely concur about Nintendo and western third parties. I don't want the big N to flip them the bird or ignore them. I hope it didn't read like I was indicating that I wanted that, because that's definitely not what I was trying to say. I think Japanese third parties will be much easier to get on board for a HH or console, but I also believe that with the right environment and ease of porting there can be a way for Nintendo to gain ground with western publishers as well. FWIW, I still contend that there is--especially if NX doesn't offer universal cross-compatibility--a possible space for Nintendo and Microsoft to bring the latter's IPs to the handheld realm once again.

(2) Here's where I get a bit lost in your MK example, no offense at all intended: don't all console MK games offer effects their handheld counterpart can't possibly replicate? So the example you give then makes me think Nintendo may as well build a MK engine for console, scale it down to HH and offer completely different games and levels for each of those. I'm having some trouble picturing games where an argument couldn't be made for different levels entirely for those games that would be only sort of cross-compatibility. Does that make sense? Just kinda spitballing here. I suppose you could take games that could readily be on both systems, like a Mario vs. DK, and offer levels with special effects on the console that the HH can't pull off, but then I feel like those sorts of easily-ported games are the kind that typically wouldn't generally see such kinds of high-end, graphically impressive levels made for them.

Let's say for instance Wii U ports go cross-gen to NX console, though. In that scenario is NX HH also powerful enough to handle a Wii U port?

(3) I see your point entirely about the kinds of games that would readily support cross-compatibility. One part of this line of thinking that trips me up a bit, though, is--why not just offer all the HH games on the console? Mainly because they may require a HH-specific hook-type control scheme or method of play? Or...I mean...from a business standpoint, just to not so strongly disincentivize players from buying just the console in the West, where HHs are less popular in general? Or perhaps Nintendo may want to continue to focus on more bite-sized style HH games, with Mario's and Zelda's for example more 2D and/or level-based as has been the general M.O. for HH vs. console per Nintendo? (We saw a lessening of this in the 3DS thus far, compared to prior Nintendo HHs, but it's still a philosophy clearly present in many of Nintendo's HH games.)

(4) Thanks for this. Helps me see the whole thing a bit differently, especially in the context of blu's post above. I do think there is a bit more to the idea of having the same games portable vs. console than just where you play them. Such as HD, online features (ability to use Ethernet and a headset, both of which are harder to pull off in public &#128521;), handheld specific features like 3D, etc. But I take your point nonetheless. If Nintendo wants multiple platforms to be successful, they each need their own meaningful hook and perhaps primarily their own software. (Is there a ratio you had in mind for how much first party software would be cross-compatibility? Like a third? That's kinda the sense I got from your post, but I'm just curious if that's in line with what you're postulating.)

Ok! I think that's it. I think you and blu have me now swayed towards the school of thought that says we get a HH this year and console next. With maybe 1/3 of games being cross-compatible. Is that what you're expecting?

Fourth and blu, this is where my unease about not having a shared library comes in. Malus a valid point here that I don't know a good alternate answer to. Let's say NX can't get third parties as significantly on board as we would like. In that case, if Nintendo is again having mostly games that are only available on the console and HH, how will they account for droughts? I mean you, Fourth, did indicate above you think many games could in fact be cross-platform, but then given what you, blu, say above about downsampling being less feasible...what's a good answer for Nintendo here? For maybe 1/3 of games to be cross-platform and then make an environment third parties will have a hard time saying no to, especially Japanese ones?

That's back to the traditional hybrid, then, or at least something more resembling a the PS3/Vita setup. Hmm. It's hard for me to see Nintendo making such a powerful handheld that would be reasonable as their sole console via such a device and also be cheap enough to not get destroyed in the market.

Nintendo has historically used their own engines for games, with different kinds of middleware occasionally being used. While Nintendo using UE4 isn't impossible, it probably isn't likely since they seem to be more than happy with the tools they already have.
Very true, but a lot of their studios are going to come into the HD era for the first time (game freak, Intelligent Systems, Next Level, RETRO, etc)
RETRO is still using that modified Metroid Prime Engine for DK and it shows.
Next Level has made HD games before like that captain america movie tie-in but hasn't made much lately.
Not sure how much they lose using that engine instead of making a new one, but there's quite a lot of benefits I can see.
Not only having a new engine with a lot of documentation, but also helping create new tools and documentation for the NX version of the engine especially in order to facilitate the porting of titles between the two.

maxcriden

Seemed kinda strange to me that their Wind Waker remaster still had framerate issues despite running on a CPU ~2.55x the original target spec. Then again, I'm not sure how latte compares exactly to flipper.

I don't think WWHD had framerate issues. If you're referring to the slowdown with bombs and certain actions and bosses, my understanding is that that was left in intentionally.

Edit: it looks like I might be misremembering. At the least I guess I had a similar convo about this a year ago and couldn't find a source.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=968417

A poster there called it "hitstop" but didn't say whether that would be done intentionally.

gulma1

Neo Member
It's pretty crazy they haven't announced a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon sequel yet. It is very likely on NX which is why no announcement. Sold well and was well received so it's very likely happening. I'm guessing an NX launch title

MK_768

It's pretty crazy they haven't announced a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon sequel yet. It is very likely on NX which is why no announcement. Sold well and was well received. I'm guessing an NX launch title

I wouldn't say it is very likely the game will get a sequel soon. Certainly possible and wouldn't be shocking. However, same could be said if a sequel isn't in development.

Noi_

Banned
Any news?

Can't possibly read everything...

Other than whats in the OP? Nope.
I think there was a rumor a couple pages back about a PC(?) developer wanting to port a game to the NX or something, though.

I don't really remember the details so if anyone wants to dig that up, that'd be great.

I don't think WWHD had framerate issues. If you're referring to the slowdown with bombs and certain actions and bosses, my understanding is that that was left in intentionally.

Edit: it looks like I might be misremembering. At the least I guess I had a similar convo about this a year ago and couldn't find a source.

A poster there called it "hitstop" but didn't say whether that would be done intentionally.

I seem to remember that being called intentional back when it first came out on Gamecube... May have been IGN, can't remember.

Meesh

I think someone mentioned they need a "hook" or "gimmick" of sorts and need to create a stable environment around this? Just wanted to say that I agree... as anecdotal evidence with those I know and myself included, I can't get my mom or other relatives involved in gaming on WiiU like they did with Wii.

Personally I just think they need another intuitive or natural extension of gaming to keep it all inclusive to re attract some of those lost older gamers but with enough juice for those power/hard core types... what that new hook is I couldn't imagine...

orioto

Good Art™
The scenery in our imaginations must differ, although I'm sure yours is quite a bit more detailed (your wonderful Skyward Sword wallpaper adorns my desktop as we speak). My hopes (perhaps foolish ones) are for the console to be able to upscale HH quality games and add even more bells and whistles on top (not to mention the more CPU-centric tasks). They would be handicapping their home console to hold back on the visual flare in the name of parity w/ the handheld. We'd be looking at a 1080p Mario Kart 8. Nice, but I want Mario Kart in 1080p at 60fps and with Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed levels of crazy shit going on in the bg.

And i still think it's possible to have all the bells and whistles just with different lods :)
Again, about all those scaling question for the NX, i'd advise everyone of us to look at what some japanese editors are doing with PS3/Vita/PS4. There are good examples there, look at the Attack of the titans game for exemple.

Also, also, i still think it could work in a way, and not in the other. Home console can gain a lot from having the portable catalog. But if it has some exclusive games, the portable won't suffer from it at all.

You can totally have a model of portable/Home games developed with mid perf in mind (like most japanese PS4 games, let's not forget that please), exactly like the bandai/namco games for exemple. Then some big titles on the home console alone.

Pokemaniac

Zelda (and some other Nintendo games) do often do this thing where everything freezes for a tiny bit when you hit something. IIRC it has to do with some Japanese legend regarding time stopping when striking your opponent or something like that.

What I don't know off the top of my head is whether the Wind Waker HD issues can be attributed to that or not. I know Wind Waker does the thing, I'm just not sure if that's actually what people are calling frame drops.

TLZ

Banned
300px-Tatsumi_kimishima_keyboxart_160w.jpg

Does this strike you as someone who cares about our mental state? Rhetorical question.

I miss iwata:(

The Yakuza has taken over.

No wonder everyone's afraid to slip.

atbigelow

WWHD definitely had legitimate frame rate drops. The "hit stops" are intentional logic stops, but the game keeps rendering. They do the same thing in TP/TPHD.

When the screen filled up too much in places in WWHD, it would definitely drop below 30.

How would getting a Mario sports game be any easier/more worthwhile to get working cross-platform than a Mario Kart? You'd still have to completely change the multiplayer for both versions. Also, only Golf and Tennis have appeared on handhelds; none of the others have.

Also, Mario and Luigi has never appeared on a console, and Paper Mario has only appeared once on handhelds, not counting the crossover (a trend that will be continued with the Wii U game). Why would they make an exception for those and not series that have appeared and sold on handhelds.

Nanashrew

Banned

Certain times during my play-through I hit some frame rate issues having to do with a storm as I was coming up to Windfall Island. It was an odd issue and the only way to fix it was to use the Song of Passing or warp in and out of Windfall.

I have no clue what caused it.

EDIT: To clarify further, the storm dissipates when you reach an island town or village. It was likely a weird glitch. It did happen a few times though.

I was under the impression that most or all iOS games work on iPhone and iPad. Is that not generally the case? I don't play many games on my iPad. In fact I think our cat has more iPad games than we do.

I think if the Wii U had a different name, brand, price and lacked the tablet...it would have done GCN numbers and no more. In that scenario I'm assuming we would have seen more third party ports and maybe less late to arrive. This line of thinking leads me to believe the NX console and handheld each need a significant hook.
There are games that only run on iPad, some games being designed around a larger screen. Many times, some developers create a game that's too complex that will end up being too costly to bring down for the weaker iOS devices. Universally compatible iOS games usually are made with the lower-powered iDevice in mind, and extra bells / whistles are added for the iPad version. But the basic gameplay, presentation, etc is still within the range of the iPhone.

Thraktor

I think quite a people in this thread are seriously overestimating the extent to which home titles will be able to run on the hh with a mere visuals downgrade - there won't be such a thing for anything outside of low-CPU-usage games like Mario Tennis and the likes. The only scenario where this would be feasible is if nintendo gimped the home unit significantly. That won't happen - it makes zero sense. HH titles running on the home unit - yes. Down-ports with decreased game logic complexity - yes. Full-blown home titles running on the hh with a visual downgrade - no.

I think the bolded is what most people are hoping for. Or, I suppose, that the handheld CPU situation will be "good enough" to allow Nintendo to develop games that work well across both form factors without feeling inherently gimped on the handheld.

There's also an argument to be made (at least if they go with 14LPP) for lots of A53s at a relatively low clock speed. Assuming 15% power reductions over 14LPE are true, you could hit 1GHz with 12 cores and consume a little under a Watt to hit 27,600 DMIPS (in a pretty small die area, at that). You're depending on developers to parallelise pretty heavily, and losing out a little on performance with code that can't be parallelised, but in a situation where every gain in perf/W saves you money in development costs down the line it's worth keeping in mind.

sinxtanx

Hitstop is always intentional (unless the game is coded by...less experienced programmers) and is part of a larger concept in game design usually referred to as "juice". It's there to accentuate certain actions.

EDarkness

Apple aren't in the business of home video game consoles. Don't you see that this line of thought is holding Nintendo to a higher standard than any other publisher or console manufacturer? Should Skyrim work on smart phones? Should I be able to play Madden on any device just by maybe paying whatever the platform holder licensing fees are? The "100% unified library or no deal" mindset is a bit unreasonable and it's also somewhat insulting to Nintendo's developers in implying that they could never find a fun or innovative use of additional hardware power.

I'm not holding them to any standard. I'm just saying that if they announce the NX as being a platform with a handheld and a console, then I expect all software to work on either. I don't want to worry about buying multiple pieces of hardware. My rule for this is that either it's 100% or nothing, because the moment they start separating the platforms, then I feel like the whole thing is busted. The moment games won't work on either hand held or console, then they start introducing that doubt of whether or not the game will be released on either. It's like watching the Nintendo Directs and tuning out when a game for a platform you don't have gets announced. If it's all unified, then all games are coming to whatever flavor if NX you have and that's what makes the concept compelling.

Again, this is my point of view. Maybe people don't agree, but I want the ability to play the next Fire Emblem on the TV or on the go. This is compelling to me.

AzaK

I want all of that stuff too, but I also want more Mario Kart levels! As we've talked about, Nintendo already have a fair bit of work in preparing what is for all intents and purposes a multiplatform title. I'm not trying to downplay what goes into creating a stage either, but people would be paying more to play them. They're getting people to pay $80 for Fire Emblem this month--I'm not putting it past them! Also, I'm not necessarily saying that the handheld stages wouldn't be available on the console (although they could be funny like that) or that, through SCD magic, one wouldn't be able to enjoy console stages on the handheld.

That SCD patent...we shouldn't forget about that.

Oh how I so want this patent to be fully realised with the NX. It gives me the biggest nerd boner I could imaging. No more fucking around with hold consoles, just replace the SCD with new ones as they become available join 172 of them together down your hallway for Ultimate Powa and in-home heating.

jnWake

We're overdue for some sort of HD Metroid, Prime or otherwise.

GameCube and Wii both had TWO high-profile Metroid games. Wii U had ZERO.
Well, Metroid skipped the N64 and we got Metroid Prime (AND Fusion) after that, so we can only hope story repeats itself!

maxcriden

Well, Metroid skipped the N64 and we got Metroid Prime (AND Fusion) after that, so we can only hope story repeats itself!

Metroid didn't completely skip Wii U, though. The Metroid Attraction in Nintendo Land offers more hours of content than plenty of games in the series, and is just as good as some entries IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom