• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Rösti;195472286 said:

We didn't know they were part of the actual working group for Vulkan.

Obviously it seems like NX will support this standard.

https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-releases-vulkan-1-0-specification

“The release of the Vulkan™ 1.0 specification is a huge step forward for developers. The Vulkan API, which was derived from Mantle, will bring the benefits of low-overhead high-performance Graphics API to the benefit of cross-platform and cross-vendor targeted applications,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “The promotion of open and scalable technologies continues to be the focus at AMD, as a pioneer in the low-overhead API space. As a member of the Khronos Group, AMD is proud to collaborate with hardware and software industry leaders to develop the Vulkan API to ignite the next evolution in PC game development.”

“Vulkan 1.0 gives graphics app designers efficient, flexible control of the GPU and allows them to take full advantage of multicore CPU and ARM® big.LITTLE™ configurations,” said Tom Olson, director of graphics research, ARM. “Developers want to enhance the user experience but they also need to preserve mobile device battery life. Vulkan helps achieve this by enabling a route to delivering rich ARM Mali™-based graphics experiences in a highly efficient way.”

“Mobica are excited by the opportunities for the graphics community with the release of Vulkan. The improved performance will deliver obvious benefits for end users. A unified API for mobile and desktop platforms will also accelerate the software development process,” said Jim Carroll, CTO at Mobica. “We are glad to have supported Khronos with the creation of this technology, and look forward to further contributions to this next key standard for graphics.”

Banned
No. PSVR is a niche product for only the hardcore... Mass market ain't gonna bother it will flop.

It will kick off in 2017 tho but it's most certainly no threat to NX whatever it may be!
Remember, the NX will steal PSVR Thunder
You mean like every Nintendo console since the GameCube? :p

Whoa that is exciting and throws more credibility to several theories that have already been made on here

I think some of you guys are REALLY close to nailing your predictions about the nature of the NX platform

thefro

0LCfYgy.png

From page 16 of the PDF. Have to imagine this would help in getting EA to port Frostbite/Ignite over.

Unity/Epic also listed.

What exactly does Khronos mean/do?
Also, I'm not sure if PSVR will be an issue. It'll sell to consumers that already have a PS4 and it'll likely cost more than the handheld and console NXs combined
It's probably lower res than the Oculus, which is $600, but it needs to add a new power source to work so at best $500, at worst $600+.
I don't see the NX units exceeding the current price of their devices ($300/$200) at least not by much

Banned
Nintendo directs haven't happened mainly due to having nothing new to show. The Iwata passing delayed the last one but other than the final smash that last direct combined with the pathetic E3 showing pretty much confirmed Nintendo is on its last legs for this gen. There's probably one more direct in March to push star fox, show remaining 3DS and Wii U games, and maybe have two last big announcements or reveals, Zelda for Wii U and Pokemon Z for 3DS.

Then it's all NX from April to the holidays.

AlStrong

How hot does the n3DS runs with its 4 core ARM11 @ 800MHz? Since Nintendo will likely be consideredate about the battery life, would it be realistic to expect Nintendo to push the heat well beyond those numbers? If it doesn't have 3D, though, that would give the NX more room to work with.

The entire unit (non-XL) supposedly runs 3.5-6 hours on a ~6.5WHr battery, so... it's not going to be much for the CPU alone.

z0m3le

Banned
Nintendo directs haven't happened mainly due to having nothing new to show. The Iwata passing delayed the last one but other than the final smash that last direct combined with the pathetic E3 showing pretty much confirmed Nintendo is on its last legs for this gen. There's probably one more direct in March to push star fox, show remaining 3DS and Wii U games, and maybe have two last big announcements or reveals, Zelda for Wii U and Pokemon Z for 3DS.

Then it's all NX from April to the holidays.

I can see Nintendo going into E3 without giving us anything.

LewieP

What exactly does Khronos mean/do?

With regards to Nintendo, it should mean that their future hardware has good performance for games running in engines from companies who are participants. Including the likes of Unity, Epic/Unreal, EA/Frostbite, Valve/Source, Blizzard and many more.

Devs working on these engines should be able to ship games on Nintendo platforms without a huge degree of platform specific work.

In theory this would include both their next home console and handheld, but game performance will be determined by the hardware capability, too. You can make a game using Unreal Engine that won't run on anything but the most bleeding edge PC. It's not a magic solution to get all games running on these engines to release on Nintendo platforms, but it significantly reduces the technical barriers to doing so, especially compared to the Wii U, the 3DS and the n3DS.

With regards to Nintendo, it should mean that their future hardware has good performance for games running in engines from companies who are participants. Including the likes of Unity, Epic/Unreal, EA/Frostbite, Valve/Source, Blizzard and many more.

Devs working on these engines should be able to ship games on Nintendo platforms without a huge degree of platform specific work.

In theory this would include both their next home console and handheld, but game performance will be determined by the hardware capability, too. You can make a game using Unreal Engine that won't run on anything but the most bleeding edge PC. It's not a magic solution to get all games running on these engines to release on Nintendo platforms, but it significantly reduces the technical barriers to doing so, especially compared to the Wii U, the 3DS and the n3DS.
There's a thread where it says the 1.0 version launched today. Is this likely to see implementation on NX? Maybe explaining why dev kits aren't common yet?

There's a thread where it says the 1.0 version launched today. Is this likely to see implementation on NX? Maybe explaining why dev kits aren't common yet?

Yes Nintendo is part of the group.
It won't be anything to do with dev kit availability, they should have some pre final api already anyway.

ReyVGM

I fully expect Zelda U/NX on the portable. Absolutely no reason not to just because some people on the internet are like "but but its a home console style game" Can't wait for the meltdowns.

3rd parties are a toss up. A company like Square would push for handheld since they are more popular in Japan. (Of course FFXV might be too much for it)

It also depends on if Nintendo mandates both versions. I think they will, since it would just be dumb retail confusion otherwise on only some NX games working on both but we'll see. Just wish it was announced so my head can stop hurting from some of the suggestions in this thread. :p

I think people are vastly overestimating Iwata's comments about combining their console and handheld teams, and about the shared iphone/ipad software.
You will still get console style games that will only be played on the console, and portable versions specifically tailored for the smaller screen. A lot of other games will be available for both, but not all.

A lot of people will be disappointed when the NX is anounced and they'll realize that they won't be able to play this new Zelda or Assasins Creed 15 on the go.

Right now, what everyone is hoping for, it's not going to happen. Unless the console is gimped, but you won't get a console with PS4 levels of power and a hanheld near that power too.

But hey, I would soooo love to be proven wrong.

I think people are vastly overestimating Iwata's comments about combining their console and handheld teams, and about the shared iphone/ipad software.
You will still get console style games that will only be played on the console, and portable versions specifically tailored for the smaller screen. A lot of other games will be available for both, but not all.

A lot of people will be disappointed when the NX is anounced and they'll realize that they won't be able to play this new Zelda or Assasins Creed 15 on the go.

Right now, what everyone is hoping for, it's not going to happen.

Glad you cleared that up for us.

Right now, what everyone is hoping for, it's not going to happen. Unless the console is gimped, but you won't get a console with PS4 levels of power and a hanheld near that power too.

Yup this is the reasonable assumption

That said the portable should be more than powerful enough to excite us portable enthusiasts

Banned

Glad you cleared that up for us.

That said the portable should be more than powerful enough to excite us portable enthusiasts
So when a junior says it everyone responds and says it's a reasonable assumption. When I say it I get crickets.

Lp6sYG3.jpg

ReyVGM

Yeah, but I think Nintendo is screwed either way. Right now people are making up a soap opera in their heads about what it's going to be, and it will most likely not be the utopia they're dreaming about.
So when the thing is finally announed and they see you can't play Zelda U/NX on the go, they'll get angry and curse at Nintendo for not doing what their soap opera said they would.

Hopefully it will get near that Utopia, though.

Steph_E.

...If they are using Apple and Google as a roadmap.... They cant mess up too badly? Right guys?

Okay, so that means we'll end up with either Gapple or Ogle. My money is on Gapple, or to give it its full name, GapPle aseUnderstand - ie with a big Gap between what we expect and what we actually get. Please understand.

ReyVGM

So when a junior says it everyone responds and says it's a reasonable assumption. When I say it I get crickets.

Ho-ho-hold on there partner, I ain't no Junior. You see, I was juniored for getting too worked up defending Nintendo. But I've been here for ages now.

Yeah, but I think Nintendo is screwed either way. Right now people are making up a soap opera in their heads about what it's going to be, and it will most likely not be the utopia they're dreaming about.
So when the thing is finally announed and they see you can't play Zelda U/NX on the go, they'll get angry and curse at Nintendo for not doing what their soap opera said they would.

Hopefully it will get near that Utopia, though.

Unified ecosystem and upgrades specs is enough for me

Even with budget components we are looking at a significant upgrade in the portable space lol

The console might not be a large leap but I would imagine that even if they went conservative it would still be competitive

Peru

I'm keeping my expectations in check, sure. But it's just that a strategy of not spending years making a console Mario Kart and then years making a portable Mario Kart makes so much sense for them. Not just to satisfy fanboy dreams but to ensure a steady stream of software. If they could somehow get as many games out on one family of systems as the 3DS and Wii U combined then something like Splatoon would've been in the hands of a lot more people and droughts could be avoided.

So it's less me dreaming of a utopian magical hardware and more thinking of how Nintendo can secure a third party-independent software flow. Maybe it's not this magical 'play all' system. But the general idea of less walled off development should be a goal.

z0m3le

Banned

Even with budget components we are looking at a significant upgrade in the portable space lol

The console might not be a large leap but I would imagine that even if they went conservative it would still be competitive

Pretty much, I've been saying what they should do, I expect a Console that doesn't quite match up to xb1 and a handheld a bit weaker than wii u.

This does actually give us a bit of new information. Previously we only knew that Nintendo were a contributing member of Khronos, but now we have confirmation that they were on the Vulkan working group specifically. Not immensely surprising, but further evidence that Nintendo may be looking to use Vulkan or a Vulkan-based API for NX.

I noticed DMP/Digital Media Professionals are part of the Vulkan Working Group as well, and we know they are behind the 3DS's GPU.

Does this have any significance for Nintendo's next generation handheld?

z0m3le

Banned
I'm keeping my expectations in check, sure. But it's just that a strategy of not spending years making a console Mario Kart and then years making a portable Mario Kart makes so much sense for them. Not just to satisfy fanboy dreams but to ensure a steady stream of software. If they could somehow get as many games out on one family of systems as the 3DS and Wii U combined then something like Splatoon would've been in the hands of a lot more people and droughts could be avoided.

So it's less me dreaming of a utopian magical hardware and more thinking of how Nintendo can secure a third party-independent software flow. Maybe it's not this magical 'play all' system. But the general idea of less walled off development should be a goal.

Yep, Nintendo can't and shouldn't have to support 2 separate platforms, wii u is weak enough for them to actually very easily be in parity with a handheld, heck they could actually double the wii u on a handheld if Polaris is ready and they go 4cu. They don't need to, I'm just pointing at how easy it would be, heck espresso is about on per with a53 cores so even there, they can blow the wii u away.

I noticed DMP/Digital Media Professionals are part of the Vulkan Working Group as well, and we know they are behind the 3DS's GPU.

Does this have any significance for Nintendo's next generation handheld?
Yes, if Polaris isn't ready, they might go dmp

ReyVGM

True, but that's what people might say right now: "At least make PS4 levels of power Nintendo!!". But that will just lead into another WiiU situation for 3rd parties.
Remember during the Wii era how everyone wanted a Wii HD? Or when the Project Cafe was announed everyone said "just make it HD and I'll be happy". Well, HD it was and where are all the fans now?

The WiiU actually released with a lot of good 3rd party games (although some were old by then), Assassin's Creed, Batman, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed, Call of Duty, and more. But most fans didn't bite and 3rd parties left when they saw it wasn't worth the effort.
Well, same thing will happen with the NX if it's just the same as a PS4 (or worse, christ). Sure, at first we'll get 3rd party ports, specially from Japan, but then it will die down just like it has happened dince the GameCube era. It's tough being a Nintendo fan :(

z0m3le

Banned
True, but that's what people might say right now: "At least make PS4 levels of power Nintendo!!". But that will just lead into another WiiU situation for 3rd parties.
Remember during the Wii era how everyone wanted a Wii HD? Or when the Project Cafe was announed everyone said "just make it HD and I'll be happy". Well, HD it was and where are all the fans now?

The WiiU actually released with a lot of good 3rd party games (although some were old by then), Assassin's Creed, Batman, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed, Call of Duty, and more. But most fans didn't bite and 3rd parties left when they saw it wasn't worth the effort.
Well, same thing will happen with the NX if it's just the same as a PS4 (or worse, christ). Sure, at first we'll get 3rd party ports, specially from Japan, but then it will die down just like it has happened dince the GameCube era. It's tough being a Nintendo fan :(

Lol he is not talking about 3rd parties at all, he isn't even talking about matching ps4 specs, he just wants Nintendo in a bubble, supporting 1 ecosystem rather than 2 separate devices and I agree, Nintendo should be an alternative, there is no point in being a 3rd wheel.

Look closely at those "ports"

They were late games. The system was 350 but the stink was in the air about its relative power

The OS barely functioned, you didnt have a hard drive. It was a confusing system at launch

This is a very rough outlook on what happened but safe to say that WiiU was confusing, overpriced, and INCONVENIENT

Vena

I must be blind but I don't see Nintendo on the Vulkan slides?

What if NX did it better like this?

uXyCPly.gif

I'm not serious about it but it would be cool if we actually get that kind of holograph program in our lifetimes.

This is physically impossible. The amount of momentum light carries is so minute (unless you start bending the laws of modern reality to that of like... a few microseconds after the BB) that it'd be impossible to get feedback like the ball creates here unless the hologram were made of something solid... and which point you may as well be throwing a ball.

atbigelow

So could the NX Platform be in trouble if PSVR really is coming this fall?
This is a really bad post. Please stop fanning the embers of childish game wars.

I think the minimum with cross-platform stuff is that the majority of HH games are playable on the console. Nintendo is going to want to hit a certain performance metric if they hope to get third-party support on the console. I would love an almost universal library regardless of NX device, but we'll see how that goes.

Yes, if Polaris isn't ready, they might go dmp

Thanks!

Do you know if DMP have any GPUs that Nintendo might want to adopt, which are competitive with the kind of thing Apple's shipping in their smartphones and tablets, or something AMD might be working on? Last time I checked DMP it didn't look like they had been doing much since 3DS -- almost as if they'd gotten lazy on all that 3DS money, haha.

Thraktor

0LCfYgy.png

From page 16 of the PDF. Have to imagine this would help in getting EA to port Frostbite/Ignite over.

Unity/Epic also listed.

If Nintendo were to just straight-up use Vulkan as their graphics API then EA wouldn't need much help porting Frostbite over, as Vulkan is based on Mantle, which was developed by AMD with help from DICE, and which Frostbite was the first engine to support. I'd expect all EA's late 2016 Frostbite releases to have Vulkan support.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The odd thing to me is Continental :p
“As one of the major manufacturers for digital automotive instrument clusters and infotainment systems, Continental fully supports Khronos' new Vulkan initiative,” Dr. Ulrich Kabatek, principal technical expert graphic systems & 3D visualization at Continental Automotive. “It will enable high-quality graphic systems with custom safety levels and increase connectivity for our sustainable, safe, comfortable, individual, and affordable solutions. Simply, it is a huge step forward towards the driving experience of tomorrow. We wish Vulkan all the best!”
Source: https://www.khronos.org/news/press/...-high-efficiency-graphics-and-compute-on-gpus

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It doesn't matter which system sells "much" more, what matters is how many games are sold, since that's where most of Nintendo's profits come from. The 3DS has sold more hardware than the SNES for example, and is still significantly behind the SNES on software. Wii sold 50 million less systems than DS, and yet they sold roughly the same amount of software (both had heavy bundling of course). Mario Kart 8 (12 million install base) was able to outsell Double Dash (21 million install base) and SC (81 million install base) too. Of course, the Handheld will have the advantages of having a larger install base tovsell games to, but that doesn't mean Nintendo should just give up on their consoles.

So you're expecting the NX console to sell at the level of 3ds or Wii? Because otherwise I don't see the relevance of this. Selling better than GameCube would already be a performance.

Yes, there will be good sellers on console, but my point wasn't that there won't, but outside those 2-3 games per generation, 90% of the games will have to be addressed to the bigger install base to be profitable.

Hello, NX droughts! Looking forward for those winter and spring months with 1 game every 2-3 months.

A lot of analysts seem to think the NX console shouldn't come out this year since it would take away from Wii U sales. Wouldn't it make sense to replace the Wii U ASAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom