• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

atbigelow

I still think the extra CPU power was mostly a side effect of the stable 3D (since it has to run a bunch of image recognition stuff at realtime) and not a focus for the New3DS. Though I'm not quite sure what the point of the platform would have been without it since the stable 3D was apparently a somewhat late addition; then again neither did Miyamoto.

Yeah, I wonder if it was more of a combination of a handful of items. Perhaps they were going to do a smaller CPU update prior to the Super Stable decision. Or not one at all.

I still think the extra CPU power was mostly a side effect of the stable 3D (since it has to run a bunch of image recognition stuff at realtime) and not a focus for the New3DS. Though I'm not quite sure what the point of the platform would have been without it since the stable 3D was apparently a somewhat late addition; then again neither did Miyamoto.
IIRC, stable 3D wasn't even originally in the 3DS revision. When they were making the new 3DS, Miyamoto suppose to have stated something like, "If we are going to make a new 3DS, would it make sense to improve the 3D?"

Anyway, the CPU has two new physical cores and can speed up to 3x the speed of the original 3DS. The extra equipment didn't need all that power to get it to work; there were other reasons that Nintendo considered to be important.

Vena

Yeah, I wonder if it was more of a combination of a handful of items. Perhaps they were going to do a smaller CPU update prior to the Super Stable decision. Or not one at all.

Well the very base idea was likely the nub and extra buttons, the system was basically marketing itself alongside MH4G/U. There was no doubt going to be more power under the hood to handle the extra controls but exactly how much is unknown. They'd have likely still clocked it up/added RAM/specced the GPU up a bit to give you things like improved textures and such which don't require the bump we ultimately did get.

After they got Super Stable 3D working, they needed an even higher boost and that probably put them in earshot of Unity... so they may well have pushed even further to get that working for indies and such.

Here is the link to the statement I was talking about.

Iwata said:
I think you're probably familiar with the tales of how, in the late stages of development, Mr. Miyamoto always upends the tea table...Mr. Miyamoto had seen that super-stable 3D just one week before, and he asked “Why aren't we putting that in this system? If we don't put this in it, there's no point in making the system."

Well here is hoping that its not long now to wait.

Awesome and not what you expect is words I hang on! I Just cannot get anymore than that!

I just have a strong sense that we will get word even if it is to tease us and shareholders a bit that Nintendo is ready to unleash something special. I was not AS excited at all for the release of xone or ps4 but with Nintendo I think because their main teams have been so quiet there is going to be a lot to be happy about.

I think that the old HD remasters that where talked about ages ago have turned into major new NX projects.

The game I hope we get to hear about is a new Luigis Mansion! hell they done an arcade game so why not a new console version on something that will be new.

In answer to that survey, even though I am excited I want to know what the NX can do, and what is unique.

Neoxon

Well here is hoping that its not long now to wait.

Awesome and not what you expect is words I hang on! I Just cannot get anymore than that!

I just have a strong sense that we will get word even if it is to tease us and shareholders a bit that Nintendo is ready to unleash something special. I was not AS excited at all for the release of xone or ps4 but with Nintendo I think because their main teams have been so quiet there is going to be a lot to be happy about.

I think that the old HD remasters that where talked about ages ago have turned into major new NX projects.

The game I hope we get to hear about is a new Luigis Mansion! hell they done an arcade game so why not a new console version on something that will be new.

In answer to that survey, even though I am excited I want to know what the NX can do, and what is unique.
Well, most people here on GAF is expecting a typical home console (or at least those who aren't regulars in the NX speculation threads like us), so it could go either way.

beril

IIRC, stable 3D wasn't even originally in the 3DS revision. When they were making the new 3DS, Miyamoto suppose to have stated something like, "If we are going to make a new 3DS, would it make sense to improve the 3D?"

Anyway, the CPU has two new physical cores and can speed up to 3x the speed of the original 3DS. The extra equipment didn't need all that power to get it to work; there were other reasons that Nintendo considered to be important.

One core is completely dedicated to stable 3D; and I'm not sure the other one is even used, but it was probably easier to do quad core than tri core. And I wouldn't be surprised if the old clock cycle was too slow for the image recognition software.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
One core is completely dedicated to stable 3D; and I'm not sure the other one is even used, but it was probably easier to do quad core than tri core. And I wouldn't be surprised if the old clock cycle was too slow for the image recognition software.
I sincerely doubt they'd leave a core using up die space there. Given how the original had 1 core dedicated to apps, and 1 core shared between apps and system, the n3ds could be: 2 cores for apps, 1 core for system, 1 for face tracking.

Datschge

The only issue with releasing the home console in 2016 and the handheld in 2017 is business more than technology. The 3DS is significantly older than the Wii U, and although the Wii U isn't selling great, it is actually marginally increasing year on year. The 3DS, by comparison, dropped pretty hard last year, and would be barely scraping along in 2017 if they don't replace it until then. With handhelds historically accounting for much more of Nintendo's income, if either device is to land before the other you'd have to expect them to push the handheld out the door first. That means the handheld this year, which means it would most likely have to be 28nm (unless they're willing to take the hit on early 14nm).
All very true, but GCN on 28nm in a handheld system would be foolish due to the power draw, temperature ceiling etc. which as a result may start the system on the wrong foot. Doubly so in the West were the public is quick to infer the low power being common to all NX based systems which would be a grande marketing disaster in a market where the vocal audience is all about power.

As for 14nm FinFET, is its current yield known? I see Samsung's own Galaxy S6/S6+ use it, as does Apple's iPhone 6S/6S Plus (though in addition to that they also use TSMC's 16nm node, loosening the yield pressure), not sure how much capacity there is for more mass market products without shortages.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
You can't promise anything specific, but you may be able to get some information from your sources but the situation demands that you tread lightly? That a dragon (whoever this refers to) will put forth tangible but abstract information?
These epithymetic actions require some strait humility to result in prosperity and not amandation. The dragon in question is not a teller but a surveyor; albeit draco praesens is with lesser mathesis than draco quondam (whose immediate presence is retro). Forgive my largiloquence in this matter; it is simply a measure to prevent theomachy.

I once again ask for your patience, do not revel in these eventualities.

z0m3le

Banned
All very true, but GCN on 28nm in a handheld system would be foolish due to the power draw, temperature ceiling etc. which as a result may start the system on the wrong foot. Doubly so in the West were the public is quick to infer the low power being common to all NX based systems which would be a grande marketing disaster in a market where the vocal audience is all about power.

As for 14nm FinFET, is its current yield known? I see Samsung's own Galaxy S6/S6+ use it, as does Apple's iPhone 6S/6S Plus (though in addition to that they also use TSMC's 16nm node, loosening the yield pressure), not sure how much capacity there is for more mass market products without shortages.

Samsung is suppose to start mass production of 10nm this year, mobile will move into that process next year, and you'll see a lot of these 14nm fabs opening up capacity for other vendors, which is why AMD and Nvidia are moving to 14nm this year. We are also already on the second generation of 14nm with Samsung's 14nm LPP, Nintendo historically uses newer fabs that are only around 2 years old, which they did for both the Gamecube and Wii, this falls in line with 14nm as it was on the market in 2014.

maxcriden

3rd feb I reckon and I think its something that nobody is expecting!

If you're expecting that because of the date of the investor meeting, I'd caution you to temper your expectations. We rarely get more than oblique info from those so I'm not expecting anything from that beyond a confirmation than NX news is coming extremely soon, and maybe a specific timeframe of when...and perhaps from an investor standpoint, whether NX will release in at least some form during the next fiscal year (through March 2017).

On a similar note, Refreshment.01 has me rethinking my long-held belief that the NX console and handheld will both launch this year. I'm now wondering if one or the other...perhaps only the handheld...will launch in November. What are you all thinking in this front?

If the unified platform is the key selling point of the NX, then I absolutely think they'll launch at the same time. To do otherwise would completely neuter the key selling point.

If, however, the USP of NX is some other factor that we don't really have a handle on yet, they might launch separately. Not sure how likely that is, mind.

Hermii

I don't think the unification is the key selling point because that only works for people who own both l, or as an indirect selling point because it will make it easier for Nintendo to support both systems.

I'm pretty sure there are features we don't know we don't know that Nintendo hopes will sell the system.

ultrazilla

If the unified platform is the key selling point of the NX, then I absolutely think they'll launch at the same time. To do otherwise would completely neuter the key selling point.

If, however, the USP of NX is some other factor that we don't really have a handle on yet, they might launch separately. Not sure how likely that is, mind.

I agree. Not sure where the rumors of the console having "two launches" came from but it makes no sense at all. Nintendo does *NOT* need to cause consumer confusion again(Wii U naming debacle) launching a system twice.

"Oh hey, this is our new home console. You'll get the handheld now that is part of the home console and interfaces with it but you won't be getting the home console part for another half year!"

They do that, it's DOA.

It'll launch as a complete system with *PERHAPS* the option to buy the handheld version separately but BOTH will be available day 1.

blu

Samsung is suppose to start mass production of 10nm this year, mobile will move into that process next year, and you'll see a lot of these 14nm fabs opening up capacity for other vendors, which is why AMD and Nvidia are moving to 14nm this year. We are also already on the second generation of 14nm with Samsung's 14nm LPP, Nintendo historically uses newer fabs that are only around 2 years old, which they did for both the Gamecube and Wii, this falls in line with 14nm as it was on the market in 2014.
I'd be very surprised if Samsung mass-produced anything but RAM at 10nm this year.

maxcriden

I agree. Not sure where the rumors of the console having "two launches" came from but it makes no sense at all. Nintendo does *NOT* need to cause consumer confusion again(Wii U naming debacle) launching a system twice.

"Oh hey, this is our new home console. You'll get the handheld now that is part of the home console and interfaces with it but you won't be getting the home console part for another half year!"

They do that, it's DOA.

It'll launch as a complete system with *PERHAPS* the option to buy the handheld version separately but BOTH will be available day 1.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but you expect there's a possibility that Nintendo won't let consumers buy just the console or just the handheld? I'm surprised to read this. If anything would scuttle the launch I would think it would be that.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but you expect there's a possibility that Nintendo won't let consumers buy just the console or just the handheld?
What I think he's saying (I'm with him up until the last sentence, anyway) is that if the selling point for the NX is "play how you want: handheld or console", that concept really only makes sense if you can choose between handheld or console: either or both. That means they wouldn't be locked to a handheld/console bundle (that may be an option, but you wouldn't be forced to buy something you don't want), and both would have to be available at the same time.

If Nintendo were to say "play how you want: handheld or console, and the console is out now, and the handheld will be out next year", then they're botching the platform concept right out of the gate.

TheJoRu

Guys, guys, guys shut down the thread. IGN has everything covered for us.
Ugh.

I think Jose and Peer on Nintendo Voice Chat, who are the most interested in Nintendo, are the only ones worth listening to at IGN when it comes to NX (even if Peer still believes in hybrid, for some reason). The inability to evaluate sources and decide what's worth discussing/writing about is staggering. But I have a feeling it's not particularly indeliberate, it does bring in the clicks.

But listening to how they on Game Scoop are discussing these "rumors" (without disclosing that they were in fact an analyst's predictions) as if they were even remotely credible, even bringing up the 900p/60FPS-part of that already-confirmed-to-be-speculation GFK survey as something "people in the office were concerned about", was just insufferable.

I like IGN more than most, but their handling of reporting on NX is beyond awful.

But does the cpu run at the new frequency all the time or is it set by software?
Similar head tracking was doable on the dsi so I'm not sure that's necessary.

blu

I like IGN more than most, but their handling of reporting on NX is beyond awful.
IGN was goofy when Bozon and Cassamassina were running the show. Today it's a train wreck.

gogojira

Really don't mean to derail but this is soooorta relevant to NX. Is there not a way to transfer save data from Wii U to Wii U without transferring an entire user profile?

I just bought a second one and want to get some save data off of it (mostly Smash) and searches are mostly pointing to not being able to. Basically I let my kids have my original one in their room, and now I've bought a second as a replacement in my room.

If I can't do that, I think I'm just going to return it and hold off until the NX which hopefully releases this year. That also has me banking on Zelda to be cross platform. =\

Pokemaniac

Really don't mean to derail but this is soooorta relevant to NX. Is there not a way to transfer save data from Wii U to Wii U without transferring an entire user profile?

I just bought a second one and want to get some save data off of it (mostly Smash) and searches are mostly pointing to not being able to. Basically I let my kids have my original one in their room, and now I've bought a second as a replacement in my room.

If I can't do that, I think I'm just going to return it and hold off until the NX which hopefully releases this year. That also has me banking on Zelda to be cross platform. =

Only way to move save data is to do a full system transfer. That would mean moving all the profiles.

maxcriden

What I think he's saying (I'm with him up until the last sentence, anyway) is that if the selling point for the NX is "play how you want: handheld or console", that concept really only makes sense if you can choose between handheld or console: either or both. That means they wouldn't be locked to a handheld/console bundle (that may be an option, but you wouldn't be forced to buy something you don't want), and both would have to be available at the same time.

If Nintendo were to say "play how you want: handheld or console, and the console is out now, and the handheld will be out next year", then they're botching the platform concept right out of the gate.

That I 100% agree with. It was just the thought that Nintendo could potentially offer them as only a bundle that threw me for a loop.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh.
tsumi-smiling2r4k4z.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rösti;193121456 said:

That was my exact response to last year's Nintendo E3 showing.

Save us, Kimishima. Bring the goods.

ugoo18

Regardless of what the NX ends up as i really hope there's something of a relatively standard controller. I'm dead tired of the x amount of controllers i have for the WiiU..... It's too many. Ideally i'd prefer a clean break but if not at least a controller that doesn't effectively either have 8 portions (Wiimote + Nunchuk) or requires x amount of other controllers for basic local multiplayer (Gamepad). That doesn't even include the GCN adapter and controllers, why couldn't it be a USB version of the Pro controller rather than a controller that only works with one game that you in turn need to connect to an adaptor. One of the things i love about the PS4 is how neat everything is with the console, the controllers and its cables. Nice and simple without excessive additions.

One of the big issues i have with the WiiU is the overly complex setup to do simple things like local multiplayer. Compare Wii Sports to Nintendoland. The controller for Wii Sports comes with the system and is used throughout and you need 4 of it simple. The controller for Nintendoland comes with the system but for multiplayer you then need to either already have additional Wiimotes (A controller that doesn't come with the system) or buy more and that doesn't even include the games that need a nunchuk. You effectively can't play local multiplayer without either having the Wii or knowing ahead to buy a controller that isn't the main controller for the system in Nintendoland if you didn't already have a Wii before vs Wii Sports where the main controller for the system was all you need x4 for local multiplayer.

Neoxon

Regardless of what the NX ends up as i really hope there's something of a relatively standard controller. I'm dead tired of the x amount of controllers i have for the WiiU..... It's too many. Ideally i'd prefer a clean break but if not at least a controller that doesn't effectively either have 8 portions (Wiimote + Nunchuk) or requires x amount of other controllers for basic local multiplayer (Gamepad). That doesn't even include the GCN adapter and controllers, why couldn't it be a USB version of the Pro controller rather than a controller that only works with one game that you in turn need to connect to an adaptor. One of the things i love about the PS4 is how neat everything is with the console, the controllers and its cables. Nice and simple without excessive additions.
Because the GameCube Adapter was a much cheaper solution to make sure competitive Smash is a possibility. Rather than having to spend $50-$60 on each USB-wired Pro Controller, you can just get one GameCube Adapter for $30 & use your existing GameCube Controllers to play Smash. Now that the GameCube Adapter exists, there's no good reason for it to be ditched for any Smash games on the NX Console.

I don't think the unification is the key selling point because that only works for people who own both l, or as an indirect selling point because it will make it easier for Nintendo to support both systems.

I'm pretty sure there are features we don't know we don't know that Nintendo hopes will sell the system.
I think more than that it's the expanded library. The 3DS or the Wii U's library this year by itself doesn't look great, but if they were combined I think a lot of people would be very happy
Ugh.
For such a big site they sure do cover a lot of bad rumors (and most of which seems to be just speculation

ugoo18

Because the GameCube Adapter was a much cheaper solution to make sure competitive Smash is a possibility. Rather than having to spend $50-$60 on each USB-wired Pro Controller, you can just get one GameCube Adapter for $30 & use your existing GameCube Controllers to play Smash. Now that the GameCube Adapter exists, there's no good reason for it to be ditched for any Smash games on the NX Console.

It may be cheaper but it's also a generally messier solution.

Hermii

I think more than that it's the expanded library. The 3DS or the Wii U's library this year by itself doesn't look great, but if they were combined I think a lot of people would be very happy
It's nice to have a unified library but I still don't believe that will be the defining feature.

We will hopefully find out in not too long.

DKHF

For such a big site they sure do cover a lot of bad rumors (and most of which seems to be just speculation
Yeah on their "NX Games" page it says "Additionally, rumors indicate that Nintendo's new Legend of Zelda may debut as an NX title" which has been entirely speculation IIRC even though it's very likely.

maxcriden

Yeah on their "NX Games" page it says "Additionally, rumors indicate that Nintendo's new Legend of Zelda may debut as an NX title" which has been entirely speculation IIRC even though it's very likely.

You're totally recalling right. It's not at all confirmed let alone hinted at by Nintendo. I agree it will likely happen, but in the meantime it's just one of many examples of video game sites spreading misinformation about Nintendo.

Sadist

Can't spell ignorant without...

Sorry if this is getting too into rumor mill/speculation territory, but the Paper Mario rumor has thrown my prediction out of wack. I think that can be the holiday title and I'm not sure they'd put that out only on Wii U if the new console came out with Zelda in 2016. Maybe it's nothing but it has me a bit concerned. I just cannot see the NX not launching at the same time as Zelda U so did Nintendo lie about it coming out this year and both Zelda and NX console is due out 2017?
The best case I can see is a Smash 4 esque release with the portable version out in "summer" and the console out in the holidays. I'll probably leave it at that,but I'd be super bummed if I need to wait till March at the earliest for Zelda U. I'd be pretty upset.
It's nice to have a unified library but I still don't believe that will be the defining feature.

We will hopefully find out in not too long.
A potentially massive library should be the main selling point but I'd imagine Nintendo will implement some new idea as well, sure.
Yeah. They've also been reporting on the Gibson article which I believe was either misinterpreted or never reported on as a rumor and just want the analyst believes

I don't think Zelda should be seen as an eventuality despite what people think.
Would be nice if a handheld could do it justice but I'm not sure.
Yeah. They've also been reporting on the Gibson article which I believe was either misinterpreted or never reported on as a rumor and just want the analyst believes
Gaf thread title calling it a rumour is all they need.

TheJoRu

Sorry if this is getting too into rumor mill/speculation territory, but the Paper Mario rumor has thrown my prediction out of wack. I think that can be the holiday title and I'm not sure they'd put that out only on Wii U if the new console came out with Zelda in 2016. Maybe it's nothing but it has me a bit concerned. I just cannot see the NX not launching at the same time as Zelda U so did Nintendo lie about it coming out this year and both Zelda and NX console is due out 2017?
The best case I can see is a Smash 4 esque release with the portable version out in "summer" and the console out in the holidays. I'll probably leave it at that,but I'd be super bummed if I need to wait till March at the earliest for Zelda U. I'd be pretty upset.

There's no way Zelda isn't 2016. Well, of course it's possible, but they've already started marketing it as part of the Zelda 30th Anniversary. It isn't missing that. To be a bit crass about it; I think they had their eyes set on it being part of the anniversary right from the start, or at least knew it wasn't hitting 2015, earlier than they let on.

In terms of Paper Mario I wouldn't be all too surprised if we had a Direct in February where it gets announced for May or June this year (alongside a Paper Mario amiibo, of course). Nintendo likes to space out their announcements like that; they didn't announce it in the last Direct because they already had Twilight Princess HD and other stuff to show. They don't really need a long time period, just show the game, get people excited and put up pre-orders right away while the hype is still there.

Here's something I believe too: NX isn't 2016. Zelda isn't on it. And I think we'll get why once we see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom