• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
Rösti;193707155 said:
Excellencies, Dear friends, Distinguished gaffers, I deeply regret to announce that I have now received a reply from my source detailing nothing in terms of Nintendo's upcoming system codenamed "NX". I was however properly thanked for my efforts in ensuring the continued security of developer interests, and for that I am grateful.

Due to the nature of this situation, I kindly request discretion. I wish to fully recognize and respect the new legal and political realities stemming from the new development climate of Nintendo. Any material I may or may not have, regardless of connection, will have to for the time being due to overarching principles remain outside publication.

I realize this may come as a disappointment to some. Hopefully we will receive some interesting details about NX during Nintendo's financial results briefing next week, and can focus on that instead. But I will see to increasing my efforts in finding NX information should this aridity of information continue.

My words may appear unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, it is beyond the scope of this post to give a more comprehensive answer. For this I am sorry.

No worries Rosti. You're an absolute hero for trying :)

TLZ

Banned
Rösti;193707155 said:
Excellencies, Dear friends, Distinguished gaffers, I deeply regret to announce that I have now received a reply from my source detailing nothing in terms of Nintendo's upcoming system codenamed "NX". I was however properly thanked for my efforts in ensuring the continued security of developer interests, and for that I am grateful.

Due to the nature of this situation, I kindly request discretion. I wish to fully recognize and respect the new legal and political realities stemming from the new development climate of Nintendo. Any material I may or may not have, regardless of connection, will have to for the time being due to overarching principles remain outside publication.

I realize this may come as a disappointment to some. Hopefully we will receive some interesting details about NX during Nintendo's financial results briefing next week, and can focus on that instead. But I will see to increasing my efforts in finding NX information should this aridity of information continue.

My words may appear unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, it is beyond the scope of this post to give a more comprehensive answer. For this I am sorry.

interphoto_1359798732.jpg

Jk mate. Thanks a lot for trying :)

Pokemaniac

How the hell does a clusterfuck of symbols spell "damm"?

Explain it like I'm 5 please.

The string of symbols is a program written in a language called Brainfuck. A program that just prints out the word "Damn".

Brainfuck is what you might call an "esoteric" programming language. It's syntax is designed so that any program written in it is just as incomprehensible string of symbols.

Rösti;193707155 said:

No worries, thanks for trying.

Rösti;193707155 said:

SHOCKING.

I am quite happy that the NDA is so tight. It means there are sth big hiding, right? :)

I will patiently wait for official info. Minor leaks / rumors are fun, but I don't want to know the specific details of NX before Nintendo spilling out.

Still, thanks Rosti!

I am quite happy that the NDA is so tight. It means there are sth big hiding, right? :)

I will patiently wait for official info. Minor leaks / rumors are fun, but I don't want to know the specific details of NX before Nintendo spilling out.

I never really liked leaks of any kind gaming-related.

It takes impact away from official announcements to say the least.

AzaK

What if they simi reveal the NX on Feb 2nd investors meeting lol

Not a full reveal but show pics and give some real info

It won't be anything near that. At most it might be "We will be looking to release the successor to the 3DS and Wii U this fiscal year. More info at E3"

That's it

Regiruler

That would be the biggest mistake Nintendo could make.
If there's no BC on NX then they sell a fuckton of more consoles. People will already buying nx as the new hot shit.
It says "Damn".

e: technically it is a computer program that prints "Damn".
What sort of encoding is that? It looks nothing like binary or hexd.
EDIT: that shit is turing complete? People have too much time on their hands.

I see.Then, you're expecting both to launch at the same time?
Say the "Handheld/Console" thing is true. I see two ways of them handling this:
1. The handheld and console are packaged together.
2. There are three skus, a handheld, a console and then the handheld and console packaged together.

It all depends on Nintendo's goal with the NX which we don't know. They may want all their devices to be closely integrated from now on, or it's two separate devices sharing the same development platform with limited connectivity options like their past devices. We may not even see a handheld at all. We don't know.

I don't really expect them to say anything at the meeting--maybe save that for a February Direct or E3, if not a later meeting. I want to know everything now, but I know better. :x

MoonFrog

I never really liked leaks of any kind gaming-related.

It takes impact away from official announcements to say the least.

I have no desire for, say, something about a game I suspect is coming sometime, e.g. a couple years after a Zelda comes out I'm not jonesing for a leak on the next Zelda. For that matter I'm not really jonesing for, say, a Metroid leak either but that is because I really want to learn that in the best way possible even if mere confirmation of its existence would send me over the moon.

As to NX though, I'd appreciate a leak. I'm much more of a software than a hardware guy so the concern about not spoiling the announcement is less for NX with me. Obviously I know the NX is coming, but what it is is important to Nintendo's future. I'll be there pretty much no matter what, so on a personal level what NX is is something I could easily wait to know, but I want some idea of what to expect for Nintendo's fortunes going forward because I worry about that.

I'd rather Nintendo start unveiling it themselves, but if information comes out in other ways (provided it doesn't cause confusion), I'd not begrudge it.

Banned
Rösti;193707155 said:

Fucken Ninja's are like Seal Team 6 now. Holy fuck.

It's all good Rosti. To be fair, you said not to get our hopes up and that you may or may not get info.

Seems devs are scared to even share info privately in some random coffee shop with people they trust.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Rösti;193707155 said:

MVfhVEY.png

If there's no BC on NX then they sell a fuckton of more consoles. People will already buying nx as the new hot shit.
What sort of encoding is that? It looks nothing like binary or hexd.
EDIT: that shit is turing complete? People have too much time on their hands.
Buying what console? The Wii U? Don't think they're making any money off of that and they probably don't care about keeping it around much longer

Rösti;193707155 said:

UpOf9FR.gif

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;193707155 said:

No need for sorry - nobody expected you to sacrifice a knee for us. On the contrary, your effort is always appreciated.

The string of symbols is a program written in a language called Brainfuck. A program that just prints out the word "Damn".

Brainfuck is what you might call an "esoteric" programming language. It's syntax is designed so that any program written in it is just as incomprehensible string of symbols.
I know how people generally regard it, but Brainfuck is just an implementation of a Turing machine - nothing incomprehensible, at least nothing more than in a Turing machine : )

BTW, a Mandelbrot set plotter in brainfuck was what I used in the second microbenchmark. Since it's an interpreter (read: branchy) and features zero fp, I find it telling about the performance of spaghetti code.

Still, thanks Rosti!

Remember when we didnt hear about alll those Wiiu games? Because there werent any... Silence sadly doesnt mean anything.

Pokemaniac

No need for sorry - nobody expected you to sacrifice a knee for us. On the contrary, your effort is always appreciated.

I know how people generally regard it, but Brainfuck is just an implementation of a Turing machine - nothing incomprehensible, at least nothing more than in a Turing machine : )

BTW, a Mandelbrot set plotter in brainfuck was what I used in the second microbenchmark. Since it's an interpreter (read: branchy) and features zero fp, I find it telling about the performance of spaghetti code.

I suppose incomprehensible may be a bit strong. It's certainly not winning any awards for readability, though.

Sadist

Remember when we didnt hear about alll those Wiiu games? Because there werent any... Silence sadly doesnt mean anything.
Silence means Nintendo doesn't want another Wii U situation: information leaks all over the place.

Which this time around is a good thing.

Rösti;193707155 said:

You made it further than any of us have. Cheers, mate!

Now, on to Tuesday!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rösti;193707155 said:

TRAITOR! I BELIEVED IN YOU! BETRAYAAAAAAAAAAL!

Seriously, though, while it's disappointing that you couldn't show us what you wanted, it's perfectly understandable and, even if you posted a sort-of-teaser post with rethorical figures, you warned us to not expect anything anyway. Also, your efforts are always great. Don't worry Rosti, it'll be for another time. No need to die for our own's pleasure :p

At this point I think I would even find details of the nda interesting news. I've even resorted to watching Obe1 (whatever his name is) videos just because of the lack of anything.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They will probably only say "we gonna launch the new hardware by the end of the year, and will be a *type of* console

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At this point I think I would even find details of the nda interesting news. I've even resorted to watching Obe1 (whatever his name is) videos just because of the lack of anything.

A little off-topic, but I just discovered he recently announced how Nintendo contacted him, so it should join events (like the recent RPG showcase), get early access to specific content, etc. Eh.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
As for what Nintendo may say about NX during the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for FY 2015 on Feb. 3, we can take a look at what came from the results briefing following the initial announcement of Wii U in 2011:

wiissuccessorsystemuzuhc.png

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

The Financial Results Briefing for FY 2010 took place on April 26, 2011, the day after the announcement, and concerned the whole year. Not necessarily must an announcement like this come in the beginning of a new fiscal year. As speculated, certain investors and institutional analysts could very likely be angered by a lack of information in the briefing next week. Anyhow, let's take a look at what was said in the results briefing following Wii U's announcement:

prospectsforthefuturedcjpl.png

Now I’d like to spend some time to talk about our prospects for the future.
First of all, Wii's successor, which we announced yesterday.

wiissuccessor7zu36.png

We have decided to release Wii's successor in 2012.
We plan to display it in a playable form at the E3 show to be held from June 7 in Los Angeles. The specifications are to be revealed at the show.
I am afraid I can't say any specific here today but, at E3, the company hopes to propose a new framework for a game system to be enjoyed at home.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110426/04.html

Questions 9 and 10 in the Q&A were about the successor system: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110426qa/03.html

I would be very surprised if they in the upcoming briefing say nothing about NX or if no analyst asks questions about the system.

Neoxon

Rösti;193744772 said:
As for what Nintendo may say about NX during the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for FY 2015 on Feb. 3, we can take a look at what came from the results briefing following the initial announcement of Wii U in 2011:

wiissuccessorsystemuzuhc.png

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

The Financial Results Briefing for FY 2010 took place on April 26, 2011, the day after the announcement, and concerned the whole year. Not necessarily must an announcement like this come in the beginning of a new fiscal year. As speculated, certain investors and institutional analysts could very likely be angered by a lack of information in the briefing next week. Anyhow, let's take a look at what was said in the results briefing following Wii U's announcement:

prospectsforthefuturedcjpl.png

wiissuccessor7zu36.png

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110426/04.html

Questions 9 and 10 in the Q&A were about the successor system: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110426qa/03.html

I would be very surprised if they in the upcoming briefing say nothing about NX or if no analyst asks questions about the system.
But look at the dates. It'd be way too soon for us to get stuff on that level.

TheMoon

They will probably only say "we gonna launch the new hardware by the end of the year, and will be a *type of* console

That would already be way more than I realistically expect from this.

You don't really believe that. Do you?! ��

I actually kinda do since I also don't believe we'll be getting a new home console this year that would play this supposed version.

But look at the dates. It'd be way too soon for us to get stuff on that level.

NX existing was already made public a bit less than a year ago. Wii U and 3DS made their existence known via these "to whom it may concern" press releases. Despite not revealing any details about NX, Nintendo has announced that a new platform called NX is in development with further details TBA this year. This in a way takes the place of these generic press releases we got for 3DS and "Wii-successor."

A little off-topic, but I just discovered he recently announced how Nintendo contacted him, so it should join events (like the recent RPG showcase), get early access to specific content, etc. Eh.

I think he's a fun personality. In this age of cynicism and snobbery, I admire his unrelenting enthusiasm.

TheMoon

You expect less than something like this?

Yes, I don't see them specifying what it actually is before they do their actual reveal. Like I said before, I can see Kimishima say what month they will do their unveiling in but nothing more. Maybe say if it's launching in FY2017 (by March 31, 2017) or not.

Don't say that, man. Me and a lot of people will lose their shit. We need something this year

That's not saying it won't come out this year. It's saying it will come out in the fiscal year, which ends March 2017. Which is the most vague way of saying, some time in the next year without any strict timeline commitment.

SE recently said that DQ's anniversary will continue till March 2017 or something like that indicating that they weren't sure if it'll be ready by this year or not.
Maybe they'll release it on NX's launch (if the console is out March 2017)

Malus

SE recently said that DQ's anniversary will continue till March 2017 or something like that indicating that they weren't sure if it'll be ready by this year or not.
Maybe they'll release it on NX's launch (if the console is out March 2017)

It'd be strange to see a console launch in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom