• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

3ds and dsi launched March/april, so if there's a Handheld, maybe it'd fit there.

Wii and wii u are Nov/dec releases, hence why I'm hoping for nov 2016!
Let's be honest, the handheld is gonna be doing most of the selling if the sales pattern is anything to go by. Not to mention that the 3DS is starting to show its age. If anything, it should be important that the NX Handheld is a hit. And I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo makes the NX Handheld the flagship NX device to ensure that.

I'm expecting Nintendo to announce, or confirm AMD is behind the home console silicon. If we're lucky, we may get some minimal spec info. Which would probably be limited to code names for the CPU and GPU.

Hilarion

Question: a lot of the discussion on the dual handheld/console with shared library idea has focused on whether console games will scale down. As someone who has been more focused on/more a fan of the handheld library, I have a reverse question: what about games that are traditionally handheld?

Would Capcom be able to release an Ace Attorney or Level 5 a Professor Layton game that would look just fine on a handheld but a blurry mess on a console and expect to receive a good reception? I'm worried that the resources needed to make a game look good on console could seriously damage series like Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem (of the top-down portable style), top-down Zelda (a la the fantastic Link Between Worlds, the best Zelda game, period), and others. If companies know they need to churn out graphics that would impress on a 1080p screen, will they just give up making delightful handheld titles because it'll be too expensive and time-consuming to be profitable to make them look good on the console?

Neoxon

Question: a lot of the discussion on the dual handheld/console with shared library idea has focused on whether console games will scale down. As someone who has been more focused on/more a fan of the handheld library, I have a reverse question: what about games that are traditionally handheld?

Would Capcom be able to release an Ace Attorney or Level 5 a Professor Layton game that would look just fine on a handheld but a blurry mess on a console and expect to receive a good reception? I'm worried that the resources needed to make a game look good on console could seriously damage series like Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem (of the top-down portable style), top-down Zelda (a la the fantastic Link Between Worlds, the best Zelda game, period), and others. If companies know they need to churn out graphics that would impress on a 1080p screen, will they just give up making delightful handheld titles because it'll be too expensive and time-consuming to be profitable?
The popular theory was to have the same game scale up or down depending on whichever NX device is being used to play the game in question. So if you were to play Ace Attorney on the NX Console, the game would be upscaled to 1080p with improved textures, effects, & maybe improved framerate.

Would Capcom be able to release an Ace Attorney or Level 5 a Professor Layton game that would look just fine on a handheld but a blurry mess on a console and expect to receive a good reception? I'm worried that the resources needed to make a game look good on console could seriously damage series like Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem (of the top-down portable style), top-down Zelda (a la the fantastic Link Between Worlds, the best Zelda game, period), and others. If companies know they need to churn out graphics that would impress on a 1080p screen, will they just give up making delightful handheld titles because it'll be too expensive and time-consuming to be profitable to make them look good on the console?

The way I see it is that games can be made for the handheld and then gain graphical enhancements on the console by inserting the cart into it. Monster Hunter 5 I'm hoping does just that, basically doing what both MH4U did natively but more extreme like MH3U on Wii U compared to 3DS (HD textures and 1080p resolution).

Edit: Neoxon beat me to it. :p

I mean

Capcom makes 1080p Ace Attorney games, anyway. They get downgraded for 3DS, then release later on iOS.

Ap7cxS5.jpg

You can render games at higher res. Why do you think Gamecube games on Dolphin don't look like a blurry mess ? Because they are rendered are higher res. Rendering =/= upscaling.

Pokemaniac

You'd be surprised at how good handheld games (even DS ones) often look rendered at higher resolutions. While it's probably that some of the more handheld oriented games might have some blurry textures when played on consoles, I don't see that as a huge issue.

bachikarn

I get that most people expect that Nintendo will release a low(er) powered console again, but is there really a market for such a system? Nintendo said with the Wii that they were trying to be more like a Toyota and not everyone needs a 'BMW.'

But it seems to me that the market that is fine with a lowered power system and doesn't care too much about graphics will be perfectly happy with a handheld system or mobile.. This isn't like in early 2000 where handheld and console games were distinct. Nowadays, the difference isn't that big.

Neoxon

I get that most people expect that Nintendo will release a low(er) powered console again, but is there really a market for such a system? Nintendo said with the Wii that they were trying to be more like a Toyota and not everyone needs a 'BMW.'

But it seems to me that the market that is fine with a lowered power system and doesn't care too much about graphics will be perfectly happy with a handheld system or mobile.. This isn't like in early 2000 where handheld and console games were distinct. Nowadays, the difference isn't that big.
It really has more to do with costs. Granted, the NX Handheld will likely sell more regardless, but the NX Console still has to sell decently as its own device as well to help push the platform as a whole. And it can't do that if it's too expensive to the point where Sony & Microsoft could easily undercut the NX Console with a strategic price cut. This is why most of us are expecting the NX Platform to be slightly below the Xbox One to maintain an affordable price tag (probably around $249-$299). Basically, Nintendo isn't in a position where they can charge a premium price for the NX Console.

I hope the handheld still has a clamshell design, and that the console has support for the wiimote and nunchuck on top of other types of controllers, like the GC for smash even if I have to buy an add on for it.

It really has more to do with costs. Granted, the NX Handheld will likely sell more regardless, but the NX Console still has to sell decently as its own device as well to help push the platform as a whole. And it can't do that if it's too expensive to the point where Sony & Microsoft could easily undercut the NX Console with a strategic price cut. This is why most of us are expecting the NX Platform to be slightly below the Xbox One to maintain an affordable price tag (probably around $249-$299). Basically, Nintendo isn't in a position where they can charge a premium price for the NX Console.

Why would they have to be less powerful than the Xbox One to achieve the same price the Xbox One could realistically be at by the time of NX release?

Neoxon

Why would they have to be less powerful than the Xbox One to achieve the same price the Xbox One could realistically be at by the time of NX release?
They need to be lower, hence why I put $249 as the low-end just in case Sony & Microsoft do a price drop during the holidays. I was under the impression that the PS4 & XB1 currently cost $349.

They need to be lower, hence why I put $249 as the low-end just in case Sony & Microsoft do a price drop during the holidays. I was under the impression that the PS4 & XB1 currently cost $349.

I think they need to be affordable, not necessarily lower, and you also put $299 which is possible in the next 9-10 months. My thing is why would they HAVE to be weaker to achieve the same price in the same span of time that's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Neoxon

I think they need to be affordable, not necessarily lower, and you also put $299 which is possible in the next 9-10 months. My thing is why would they HAVE to be weaker to achieve the same price in the same span of time that's the part that doesn't make sense to me.
But my point is that they need to be able to mark down the price of the NX Console just in case the competition does any price cuts during the holidays. Hard to do that if the specs on the inside are on the expensive side. And if the NX Console isn't supposed to be out until sometime in 2017, Nintendo has plenty of time to study the moves of Sony & Microsoft.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

The system has to have value. I don't think $299 is a problem if the system has an attractive feature alongside being competitive in several other areas. Being low cost is probably going to work against Nintendo.

But my point is that they need to be able to mark down the price of the NX Console just in case the competition does any price cuts during the holidays. Hard to do that if the specs on the inside are on the expensive side. And if the NX Console isn't supposed to be out until sometime in 2017, Nintendo has plenty of time to study the moves of Sony & Microsoft.
Still, they should be able to achieve parity in power and keep the same price point as the other two.

Neoxon

The system has to have value. I don't think $299 is a problem if the system has an attractive feature alongside being competitive in several other areas. Being low cost is probably going to work against Nintendo.
Just like how Sony & Microsoft can easily undercut the NX Console & use their more-established libraries as a weapon against Nintendo. Nintendo can't afford to charge too much for the NX Console, much like how they can't afford to charge too much for the NX Handheld. $299 should be the maximum for the former, & $199 should be the maximum for the latter.

Pif

Banned
350 for a good machine with a nice catch and launch killer app is the sweet spot forme. And if this unified architecture means all nintendo games, or 90%, run in this machine, I'm already applying for bankruptcy.

bachikarn

Just like how Sony & Microsoft can easily undercut the NX Console & use their more-established libraries as a weapon against Nintendo. Nintendo can't afford to charge too much for the NX Console, much like how they can't afford to charge too much for the NX Handheld. $299 should be the maximum for the former, & $199 should be the maximum for the latter.

Nintendo's #1 priority needs to be releases a system that is appealing and has a market. I get why keep cost low is important, but people aren't going to buy it just because it's cheaper.

My original prediction is that there is no market for a budget console. Maybe it will work if they have some gimmick, but I'm skeptical. They have to be able find a way to be successful releasing a non-budget console. Maybe not turn around in just one generation. If they can't, maybe they need to just focus on handhelds.

Neoxon

350 for a good machine with a nice catch and launch killer app is the sweet spot forme. And if this unified architecture means all nintendo games, or 90%, run in this machine, I'm already applying for bankruptcy.
$349 for the NX Console is literally begging for Sony & Microsoft to undercut said NX Console with a price cut. Granted, the NX Handheld will likely sell more regardless, but the NX Console should be able to pull its weight regardless. And while you may be willing to pay $349, many others may not feel the same way (especially not for a Nintendo console at the moment).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Nintendo learnt the hard way that there is a limit for the price they can ask when they were forced to cut down the price for both 3ds and Wii U shortly after launch. I don't see them adventuring over $300 ever again. At least not for the main SKU. At most maybe provide a premium SKU, but I kind of doubt that.

Kimawolf

Yeah. I think it would appeal to a lot of people. Imagine the 3DS library on Wii U. Along with Wii U. Amazing .

Sheroking

I think Nintendo learnt the hard way that there is a limit for the price they can ask when they were forced to cut down the price for both 3ds and Wii U shortly after launch. I don't see them adventuring over $300 ever again. At least not for the main SKU. At most maybe provide a premium SKU, but I kind of doubt that.

Price had very little to do with the Wii U's struggles. The premium SKU significantly outsold the cheaper SKU, which was priced at probably the best case scenario price for any new console hardware these days, $299. The 3DS saw a sales bump with it's price cut in August 2011, but it was actually Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land that got that system on the right track three months later.

Win an early PR battle, have an early games library that justifies the purchase, and they could probably sell a good system at $399.

Pokemaniac

$349 for the NX Console is literally begging for Sony & Microsoft to undercut said NX Console with a price cut. Granted, the NX Handheld will likely sell more regardless, but the NX Console should be able to pull its weight regardless. And while you may be willing to pay $349, many others may not feel the same way (especially not for a Nintendo console at the moment).

Price is important for sure, but it is not the only important factor. If Nintendo can convince people that their machine is worth the extra cost, than a bit of a price gap shouldn't matter all that much.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Win an early PR battle, have an early games library that justifies the purchase, and they could probably sell a good system at $399.

They need to win a damn PR war, not just a PR battle. It's not only about the console and the games, it's also about the whole ecosystem. For a premium price it needs to be perceived as the cool thing to buy in entire communities of friends. Cool games could make it a second console to have, but for a premium price it needs to be more than that. It needs to also beat PSN and Xbox live in popularity and that's the tough ear to fight.
Not even speaking of the real possibility that the most popular 3rd party games won't be again on board.

Pif

Banned
Why would Sony need to undercut a newly released console with zero install based and new unproved concept by lowering the price of the 2nd fastest selling console of all time? It's insulting for the brand and a bad business decision not to wait what NX is and how the market react to it.

Maybe Microsoft will try in its turn to undercut Sony.

And what consumers want and what they get are different things.

Neoxon

Price is important for sure, but it is not the only important factor. If Nintendo can convince people that their machine is worth the extra cost, than a bit of a price gap shouldn't matter all that much.
That's the problem, they probably can't. They charged $250 for the 3DS & $350 for the Wii U, & look how both of those turned out. As KingSnake said, I doubt that Nintendo will venture past $300 this time for the NX Console. Likewise for the NX Handheld, though it'd be $200 in that case.

Pif

Banned
They need to win a damn PR war, not just a PR battle. It's not only about the console and the game, it's also about the whole ecosystem. For a premium price it needs to be perceived as the cool thing to buy in entire communities of friends. Cool games could make it a second console to have, but for a premium price it needs to be more than that. It needs to also beat PSN and Xbox live in popularity and that's the tough ear to fight.
Not even speaking of the real possibility that the most popular 3rd party games won't be again on board.

Consider a scenario where the industry's old running AAA franchises such as GTA and Battlefield don't make it into Nintendo's NX library, but a new branch of AAA repertoire, coming from studios who mainly do mobile, will indeed be on board because of a particular feature really appealing about this system?

A shared OS is Nintendo's take on Apple's business model. How do we know that such OS is bound to Nintendo hardware? Maybe a PS4,PC, Android and iOS app will emulate a lite version of such OS and you can actually play some specially developed eShop Nintendo games across all your devices. That way the new DeNA partnership will also land on NX devices. Pokemon GO at portable NX launch? I can keep playing the same game on my phone while commuting? Sign me up.

Such scenario is indeed possible and would thrive even without your best GTA and the yearly usual franchises.

Neoxon

Consider a scenario where the industry's old running AAA franchises such as GTA and Battlefield don't make it into Nintendo's NX library, but a new branch of AAA repertoire, coming from studios who mainly do mobile, will indeed be on board because of a particular feature really appealing about this system?

A shared OS is Nintendo's take on Apple's business model. How do we know that such OS is bound to Nintendo hardware? Maybe a PS4,PC, Android and iOS app will emulate a lite version of such OS and you can actually play some specially developed eShop Nintendo games across all your devices. That way the new DeNA partnership will also land on NX devices. Pokemon GO at portable NX launch? I can keep playing the same game on my phone while commuting? Sign me up.

Such scenario is indeed possible and would thrive even without your best GTA and the yearly usual franchises.
I'm not sure if they'd do the lite NX OS emulation for PS4, PC, & smartphones. But you have a point with the rest.

maxcriden

I actually kinda do since I also don't believe we'll be getting a new home console this year that would play this supposed version.

Gotcha. I wonder how NX handheld adopters would feel about the big new Zelda game being only on Wii U, though. Can I take this to mean also that you expect a handheld this year and that Zelda U won't be playable on it?

I'm not sure if they'd do the lite NX OS emulation for PS4, PC, & smartphones. But you have a point with the rest.

I'm not sure I understand the PS/X and PC line of thinking, tbh. No offense intended. In fact, I specifically thought Nintendo delineated their dedicated hardware games would only be on those systems and not on mobile. Would this not be essentially them going third party? I don't want to surf a NeoGAF where people are saying "I'll wait for the lite version on PC so I don't need an NX" or "man PS+ is really cheaping out lately, when are we getting our next lite Nintendo game?" ;___:

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This is so deep into the fantasy world that I don't really have a logical answer to it. Even so, this scenario would make a cheap hardware even more important to have. No great feature deserves a price barrier of over $250 for games you already play on other devices.

Neoxon

NX existing was already made public a bit less than a year ago. Wii U and 3DS made their existence known via these "to whom it may concern" press releases. Despite not revealing any details about NX, Nintendo has announced that a new platform called NX is in development with further details TBA this year. This in a way takes the place of these generic press releases we got for 3DS and "Wii-successor."
But I'd honestly wouldn't expect a "To whom it may concern" message this early. Maybe we'll get one later on, but now seems a bit too soon. Remember, overhyping leads to disappointment. And & have a bad feeling that this investors' meeting is getting a bit too overhyped in this thread. I get that you guys are hungry for info, I'm with you on that. But we shouldn't blindly hype up any random Nintendo event in the hope for NX Platform news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom