• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarpathDC

I didn't read all the pages of this thread. How many "dick in the hole" posts were there about the donut lcd screen or am I the only one with my head in the toilet?

Luigi's Mansion 3-Haunted Brothel. Insert and point your fleshlight at the ghosts. Don't get scared and become flaccid

Okay it's out of my system

Pokemaniac

That's the problem, they probably can't. They charged $250 for the 3DS & $350 for the Wii U, & look how both of those turned out. As KingSnake said, I doubt that Nintendo will venture past $300 this time for the NX Console. Likewise for the NX Handheld, though it'd be $200 in that case.

3DS and Wii U both had significant factors working against them that weren't price. Both had library issues (to varying degrees), and the Wii U was rather poorly communicated. They did not turn out the way they did solely due to price.

AzaK

Price is important for sure, but it is not the only important factor. If Nintendo can convince people that their machine is worth the extra cost, than a bit of a price gap shouldn't matter all that much.
How can they convince people? They've had their lunch eaten for years and don't really show much interest in changing the way they'd need to. Even if they come up with a cool idea is it going to get their casual market back? Nope. And with PS4 doing gangbusters the core gamer is out too.

How can they convince people? They've had their lunch eaten for years and don't really show much interest in changing the way they'd need to. Even if they come up with a cool idea is it going to get their casual market back? Nope. And with PS4 doing gangbusters the core gamer is out too.
The core market is unreachable for Nintendo because the PS4 has sold 35 mil after two years?

AzaK

The core market is unreachable for Nintendo because the PS4 has sold 35 mil after two years?
Pretty much. Nintendo are unlikely to compete on a technical level with PS4. They have zero third party western support and they have hubris the size of Antares.

The_Lump

Banned

I know times have changed a bit, but I can't help but smile when people say the exact same thing as folk were saying right before Wii got announced :) "How can they convince anyone?", "There's no room in the market for them anymore", etc.

To clarify, I don't think Nintendo can or will pull off another Wii in terms of sales. But I also don't think its impossible.

Peru

IMO people overestimate what Nintendo needs to do to have a successful business. I think that's partly why many talk so much about Western 3rd parties (nevermind Nintendo chasing 3rd parties hard for N64 and GC not giving them sales increase). They think they need to be THE ONE gaming system, where you go for all your gaming needs. What they clearly need to do is look at their own niche, their own market, strengthen it and stick with it. Not chase the CoD crowd. 55 million 3ds sold - that's enough, you can't chase impossible Wii numbers.

What's increasingly outdated is the concept of splitting handheld and console divisions. When people buy a Nintendo system, they don't buy it for CoD, but for Nintendo games and typical Japanese console experiences, like how the 3DS like the DS is a prime JRPG system. But why ask people to buy to separate systems with separate ecosystems to get two separate, walled-off Nintendo experiences? I know some people like to talk about portable experiences, but with smaller downloadable titles, you get that, but you also want the rest. So the signal we're getting from Nintendo is that from now on, you buy a piece of hardware and you get the full Nintendo experience. That means JRPGS, Nintendo games, all that they produce.

In my opinion, the NX doesn't need any more "gimmicks" than that. It's a statement from Nintendo that you will now get their brand of gaming, something different from what you get on Steam and XBPS4, and you get all of it in one place.

TheMoon

Gotcha. I wonder how NX handheld adopters would feel about the big new Zelda game being only on Wii U, though. Can I take this to mean also that you expect a handheld this year and that Zelda U won't be playable on it?

I'm not expecting any new hardware this year actually. I've been going back and forth on this point but hearing about Paper Mario pushed me over the "nope" edge and I don't see them doing a Holiday release for a new handheld. But since they love to do random unpredictable things, who the hell knows anymore. :D

I certainly don't care what analysts think about this, though.

But I'd honestly wouldn't expect a "To whom it may concern" message this early. Maybe we'll get one later on, but now seems a bit too soon. Remember, overhyping leads to disappointment. And & have a bad feeling that this investors' meeting is getting a bit too overhyped in this thread. I get that you guys are hungry for info, I'm with you on that. But we shouldn't blindly hype up any random Nintendo event in the hope for NX Platform news.

I think you got the polar opposite of what I intended from my post :D

Note how I tend to be the guy saying "don't expect anything" and "you'll learn basically nothing from the investor meeting" :D

IMO people overestimate what Nintendo needs to do to have a successful business. I think that's partly why many talk so much about Western 3rd parties (nevermind Nintendo chasing 3rd parties hard for N64 and GC not giving them sales increase). They think they need to be THE ONE gaming system, where you go for all your gaming needs. What they clearly need to do is look at their own niche, their own market, strengthen it and stick with it. Not chase the CoD crowd. 55 million 3ds sold - that's enough, you can't chase impossible Wii numbers.

What's increasingly outdated is the concept of splitting handheld and console divisions. When people buy a Nintendo system, they don't buy it for CoD, but for Nintendo games and typical Japanese console experiences, like how the 3DS like the DS is a prime JRPG system. But why ask people to buy to separate systems with separate ecosystems to get two separate, walled-off Nintendo experiences? I know some people like to talk about portable experiences, but with smaller downloadable titles, you get that, but you also want the rest. So the signal we're getting from Nintendo is that from now on, you buy a piece of hardware and you get the full Nintendo experience. That means JRPGS, Nintendo games, all that they produce.

In my opinion, the NX doesn't need any more "gimmicks" than that. It's a statement from Nintendo that you will now get their brand of gaming, something different from what you get on Steam and XBPS4, and you get all of it in one place.
So true.. I cannot understand why people are so obsessed with 3rd party..

What I think the NX should be:

- cheap: 249 for the console, 149 for the handheld
- shared library: you can take your game cartridge from your console to your handheld and keep on playing
- simple controls: just a regular controller with as few buttons as possible. A small touchscreen for text input
- iconic name: the console should be called just "Nintendo", the handheld "Nintendo Go"
- a "Nintendo is BACK" marketing blitz
- enganging online platform that makes players come back
- heavy hitter games at launch, there needs to be momentum this time around
- mobile games that tie in with their console and handheld games, to lure the kids from iOS to NX

So all in all nothing shocking, just a quality platform with great Nintendo games. If that fails then they are Nintendoomed.

But at least Nintendo -tried- then. WiiU is just such a poor console and the 3DS a phoned in handheld with prehistoric specs.

Xiao Hu

Sounds as appealing as an EA only box.

Sorry but I told you all many posts ago that the western developer that told me nx is awesome said that the reason they could not tell me anything more was so tight ndas and to the point of ruined in the industry if breaking these. I admire rosti for keeping that information confidential.
I do believe that Nintendo will bring something very special.

Peru

Sounds as appealing as an EA only box.

There's plenty of people happy with the 3DS, with the DS offerings back then, and the NX will be that plus AAA titles the 3DS doesn't see, the big Zeldas and Marios and Bayonettas First, Nintendo put out a lot more games than EA. 2nd they have solid Japanese 3rd party support for whatever handheld venture they go into. 3rd indies. No comparison.

Sorry but I told you all many posts ago that the western developer that told me nx is awesome said that the reason they could not tell me anything more was so tight ndas and to the point of ruined in the industry if breaking these. I admire rosti for keeping that information confidential.

mr-ed.jpg

doop_

Banned
It is fine. But breaking an NDA that could ruin the industry ?

Hi, I have seened you had talked about this a few times. I would like to know what you mean by ruin in the industry. Are you meaning that the company who break the NDA will be runied by the infringement? And to people know about how NDA works. Is talking about the terms of NDA considered an infringement? Thank you very much.

Xiao Hu

There is probably a great number of people who only buy EA games.
There's plenty of people happy with the 3DS, with the DS offerings back then, and the NX will be that plus AAA titles the 3DS doesn't see, the big Zeldas and Marios and Bayonettas First, Nintendo put out a lot more games than EA. 2nd they have solid Japanese 3rd party support for whatever handheld venture they go into. 3rd indies. No comparison.

Perhaps I should have included 'for me'. That said the problem, 'for me', isn't a problem of quantity but rather one of the nature of the diversity. What kind of offering do I, as someone who predominantly plays western games and is part of the major demographic, get from this product to justify yet another heavy investment in a Nintendo product line? The majority of contemporary Japanese games outside of Nintendo's production doesn't appeal to me at all with the only exception being Persona and Valkyria. Thus, in case Nintendo either cannot/don't want to effectively convince 3rd parties to put faith into their platforms with iterations of the most popular franchises or cannot/don't want to strike deals for exclusive iterations, I just don't see myself or a great chunk of potential customers buying a product line that tries but fails to be different from the rest.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I find these posts hilarious because that's the only sound he could make if his mouth was ducttaped, much like an NDA.

...I know he said a studio from a major Western developer had yet to receive a dev kit. But, I'm my mind, you just won.

3DS and Wii U both had significant factors working against them that weren't price. Both had library issues (to varying degrees), and the Wii U was rather poorly communicated. They did not turn out the way they did solely due to price.
The price certainly didn't help. For many, what set Wii U apart wasn't worth much and the system was like $100 more than the 360 while the ports were worse. Being 300 or 250 at launch would've helped out. The 3DS should've and could've launched at $200 but the positive reaction lead them to make it more expensive.
If they have to take a loss then do so, charge for a subscription service to make up for losses or something.
If the tech is up to snuff and the library is good enough they can charge more for the system but they also need to keep in mind that both MS and Sony will want to undercut them when they have the chance

If the 3ds released today but was more updated I don't think it would sell the numbers it had. I dint think we've seen the bottom of the western handheld market yet which is why Nintendo can't be relaxed about launching it.

Neoxon

The price certainly didn't help. For many, what set Wii U apart wasn't worth much and the system was like $100 more than the 360 while the ports were worse. Being 300 or 250 at launch would've helped out. The 3DS should've and could've launched at $200 but the positive reaction lead them to make it more expensive.
If they have to take a loss then do so, charge for a subscription service to make up for losses or something.
If the tech is up to snuff and the library is good enough they can charge more for the system but they also need to keep in mind that both MS and Sony will want to undercut them when they have the chance
After the Wii U, I'm not too sure if Nintemdo would sell either NX device at a loss. And the last thing they need is to charge a subscription fee.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I already told you a top western developer has nx kits.

You don't really have anything that support what you say might be true. That's the issue.

I think what Nintendo needs to do to have a successful business is to have hardware that is affordable enough (range of impulsive buying) to be attractive as Nintendo only (plus selected Japanese developers) machines. Any other scenario that includes too many ifs and buts has a great potential of failing. And Nintendo really doesn't afford a NX failure.

Gotcha. I wonder how NX handheld adopters would feel about the big new Zelda game being only on Wii U, though. Can I take this to mean also that you expect a handheld this year and that Zelda U won't be playable on it?

Zelda is dead.

I love Zelda as much as the next guy. But honestly the costs of development vs the sales are nowhere near the yield return of things like Mario, Pokemon, Splatoon. Let alone the GTAs and CODs. This means Zelda's budget will reduce and it won't be as grand in scope to the OOTs and TPs when compared to it's contemporaries.

richd_3

After the Wii U, I'm not too sure if Nintemdo would sell either NX device at a loss. And the last thing they need is to charge a subscription fee.
I had always thought the same, but with their new and potential future revenue streams (Amiibo, TV/Movie licensing, theme park/toy licensing, etc.), I'm not so sure anymore.

AmyS

It's almost hard to believe that Nintendo's CPU partner for home consoles has been IBM, for the last 17 years.

The IBM Nintendo partnership became official, publicly at E3 1999 where codename Dolphin was announced.

nT4mW3X.jpg

It's finally time Nintendo moves on, and away from PowerPC architecture. It was a good run, but things have changed dramatically since then.

Regardless of what our guesses are for NX based devices, be it ARM, X86 or both, it's probably almost certain that PowerPC and IBM will be out of the picture.

I had always thought the same, but with their new and potential future revenue streams (Amiibo, TV/Movie licensing, theme park/toy licensing, etc.), I'm not so sure anymore.
Yeah, those things would certainly help.
Overall they seem to be heading into the new generation much healthier than the last (maybe not financially)
Mobile, movie/TV, and amiibo combined with their new cross platform development ecosystem means they aren't completely boned if one system does poorly.
I think a subscription service could help, maybe not locking online behind it but like the old PS+ with discounts (10% off digital first party games), free eShop and VC titles, and maybe extend it to their mobile offerings?

Pif

Banned
Out of ethics, what exactly is keeping people from spilling the beans?

You can anonimously tell the world what you know through various ways. No one would ever know which one of dozens (hundreds?) of individuals leaked such info.

Again, apart of ethics - which is a very respectable principle - those NDA are as fragile as an egg shell. The lack of actual palpable leaks at this point makes me believe most people actually don't know jack shit.

AntMurda

Zelda is dead.

I love Zelda as much as the next guy. But honestly the costs of development vs the sales are nowhere near the yield return of things like Mario, Pokemon, Splatoon. Let alone the GTAs and CODs. This means Zelda's budget will reduce and it won't be as grand in scope to the OOTs and TPs when compared to it's contemporaries.

I guarantee you that if I asked you to post some actual sales data to prove your claim, you would realize how wrong you were. Unless you are looking at the Zelda ports and multiplayer spinoffs as your claim to the franchise having a capped potential.

With the completion willing to do so they need to either work magic and get a powerful machine for cheap or creat something that'll resonate with consumers (which they've done before but I'm not sure they can recreate with the same success )

You can anonimously tell the world what you know through various ways. No one would ever know which one of dozens (hundreds?) of individuals leaked such info.

Again, apart of ethics - which is a very respectable principle - those NDA are as fragile as an egg shell. The lack of actual palpable leaks at this point makes me believe most people actually don't know jack shit.
In the off chance you do get discovered, it's a big risk.
And for what? It's not like you can use it to make a name for yourself
I guarantee you that if I asked you to post some actual sales data to prove your claim, you would realize how wrong you were. Unless you are looking at the Zelda ports and multiplayer spinoffs as your claim to the franchise having a capped potential.
I think every recent Zelda game has sold over a million units. At least all the remakes, LBW, and Hyrule Warriors. It's still big.

Kimawolf

You don't really have anything that support what you say might be true. That's the issue.

I think what Nintendo needs to do to have a successful business is to have hardware that is affordable enough (range of impulsive buying) to be attractive as Nintendo only (plus selected Japanese developers) machines. Any other scenario that includes too many ifs and buts has a great potential of failing. And Nintendo really doesn't afford a NX failure.

He hasn't been banned yet so I figure he must be somewhat true. When people cla to "know" things on GAF it doesn't take long for the mod squad to squash liars quickly.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
The console isn't a successor of the 3DS and it isn´t a home console.

Today the SoCs that available in the tablet space have the same power and performance than the last generation (PS3/360/Wii U) and with it you can have a system with the same size than a tablet but with the same performance of the Wii U.

Imagine a Wii U Gamepad with the console inside of it and change the 480p screen for a 720p screen and you will have the NX.

Neoxon

Today the SoCs that available in the tablet space have the same power and performance than the last generation (PS3/360/Wii U) and with it you can have a system with the same size than a tablet but with the same performance of the Wii U.

Imagine a Wii U Gamepad with the console inside of it and change the 480p screen for a 720p screen and you will have the NX.
What makes you think that it'll be a tablet?

Kimawolf

Well you risk your career if found out and probably lawsuits etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is willing to eat a loss on the system, albeit a small one (say 20 bucks or so) if it just means they can put the systema t a more palatable price point, they've taken small losses on the gamecube, the ds, the 3ds and even the Wii U

Neoxon

With the completion willing to do so they need to either work magic and get a powerful machine for cheap or creat something that'll resonate with consumers (which they've done before but I'm not sure they can recreate with the same success )
But that's just it. After the Wii U, I'm not so sure if Nintendo can get any deals in parts. And if that's actually the case, people aren't likely to pay over $300 for the console or over $200 for the handheld.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I'm pretty sure there will be a home console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
He hasn't been banned yet so I figure he must be somewhat true. When people cla to "know" things on GAF it doesn't take long for the mod squad to squash liars quickly.

He wasn't validated either. It's not like there are too many mods in these threads to keep track of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom