• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

Would be nice but wouldnt they already be years in the development of the hardware spec by now?

How late in R&D can such things be locked down or changed?
I'm obviously not an expert on the matter but from what I've been able to gather throughout all these years is that radical spec changes can definitely happen (see Wii U downgrade) however, if the console/handheld are releasing this year, the final design/spec sheet is pretty much done.
Clock speed and maybe RAM are probably the only things that can be modified up until the moment they go full mass production but other than that (again, if they're releasing this year) any heavy change needs to happen now.

Banned
Next year is to late if it's coming out this holiday. Besides if the NX is designed to be forward compatible we will probably see more incremental and more frequent hardware improvements rather than traditional generations.
Production started in October apparently at Foxconn. Not too late for 14nm.

Hermii

I'm obviously not an expert on the matter but from what I've been able to gather throughout all these years is that radical spec changes can definitely happen (see Wii U downgrade) however, if the console/handheld are releasing this year, the final design/spec sheet is pretty much done.
Clock speed and maybe RAM are probably the only things that can be modified up until the moment they go full mass production but other than that (again, if they're releasing this year) any heavy change needs to happen now.
I believe the so called wii u downgrade is a myth and never really happened, however if I remember correctly the ps4 was changed from 4 to 8 gigs of memory pretty late.

thefro

Ubisoft fiscal results

In 2016-17 the Company expects to achieve sales of around €1,700 million, non-IFRS operating income of approximately €230 million and strong free cash flow generation. Ubisoft will launch a very high-quality line-up, including For Honor®, South Park(TM) the Fractured but Whole(TM), Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® WildLands, the next instalment of Watchdogs®, and a new high-potential AAA brand with strong digital live services. Growth also will be driven by further increases in revenues for the digital segment and the back catalog.

Wii U did increase from 2% to 3% of sales.

More info on next fiscal year in mid-May. No new Assassin's Creed game this year.

Questions about to start now on the conference call.

Edit: No NX news. Investors only care about Assassin's Creed and the movie, lol.

Thraktor

I wouldn't discount a mechanical HDD. Yeah, it's moving parts, but Nintendo are changing and bottom line is that they need to keep this thing cheap while also offering a ton of storage so that they can continue to push those digital downloads. Still, a PCIe SSD may make a certain sense under the "Nintendo Overcompensation Theory" (bgassassin, 2012). This was demonstrated most famously when Nintendo went from the N64's 4 kb of texture cache to the Gamecube's 1 MB. In this scenario, it would go something like, "You say our OS is slow, do you? How do you like this shit?"

I won't completely discount the possibility of a HDD, but Nintendo have never had a fondness for moving parts, and it would be an unusual point to start using them. I'd expect SSDs to have fully taken over consumer level electronics by the end of the generation, so if they can get by with NAND in the NX they can skip the spinning disc storage era altogether. Besides, with USB 3 hard drive support people would have lots of options for large, cheap storage if they need them.

Overcompensating is definitely possible, but there's already plenty of scope for that with eMMC, with speeds going up to 400MB/s*. If you can't get a snappy OS working off 400MB/s flash, then the flash bandwidth isn't your problem. I haven't seen PCIe flash solutions pushing less than 1GB/s sequential reads, which would be straight up crazy coming from 60MB/s in the Wii U (although I'm sure open-world game designers would be happy with it). The only reason I could see them going with a PCIe SSD is if they decided:

(a) We want to offer storage tiers of 250GB+

and

(b) We still don't like hard drives

Nintendo wouldn't spend money on ultra-fast storage for the sake of ultra-fast storage, but I can see them spending money on it for the sake of not having a hard drive.

That said, my money would still be on PCIe just being used in the dev kits.

*In an earlier post I stated that Apple's recent iPhones and iPad Pro used 400MB/s sequential read eMMC flash, but I may have been wrong in my assumption that it was eMMC (which is used in pretty much every other smartphone). Apple purchased a company which designed NAND controllers a while back, and as of the new MacBook, they seem to have started using their own flash controllers in their hardware. That being the case, it's possible that the A9(X) has a flash controller on-chip, and the flash modules used were just straight NAND chips as opposed to eMMC. That said, Toshiba (which make said NAND chips) do advertise eMMC modules which provide 400MB/s sequential read bandwidth, so it's still plausible on the upper end of the eMMC spectrum.

Just stop. As I posted earlier in this thread, I had a dream where the EXT port returned. Inexplicably, the handheld plugged into the bottom of the console, completely hiding the screen. Maybe player 2 would have to lay underneath a glass coffee table? My brain is trolling me.

I think your brain misses the good old days when you'd take your Gamecube out of its packaging and wonder what the hell those three mystery ports at the bottom were for.

Now, that's actually a really smart idea. Maybe it costs them a bit more up front, but the benefit to future hardware revisions is huge.

Well, historically Nintendo hasn't pushed hardware revisions nearly as much as their competitors, but I suppose they have talked about "increasing the number of form-factors", so maybe they are taking the pro-active approach this time around to account for possible revisions.

You assume that they would need to stick to 500mWatt for the CPU and lower, then point out the clocks for such a dual core A72 with the assumption that they will use 28nm, mine is based on 14nm, and it would be 800mhz on that chart with the old 16nm process, even if we took that as a direct reflection of samsung's 14nm, the 14LPP process reduces power consumption by 15%, you'd get 1Ghz dual core A72 at 500mWatt. It would also only take up about 4mm^2 of space at 14nm, now if they do happen to go with the 5 year old 28nm process, then yes A53 makes more sense, but sense isn't the word I would use for using such an old process.

Read further down my post, I wasn't working on the assumption that the CPU would have a budget of 500mW. On a 16nm process, and assuming that two A53 cores take up the same die space as one A72 (which I think is actually an underestimate), then Nintendo would have to dedicate at least 1W to the CPU in a situation where they're comparing 2 A72s to 4 A53s, or 1.6W if they're comparing 4 A72s to 8 A53s, to make A72s worth their while. The numbers would be similar for 14nm. Given that I'd expect around 2W for the entire SoC, and that would be heavily weighted towards the GPU, I would be extremely surprised if they were in a situation where A72s made sense.

Regarding 10nm (although it's a bit off topic), our friends at Chipworks don't expect any 10nm products to ship this year. Samsung might squeeze out some NAND or DRAM by year's end, but indications are that we won't see any actual CPUs/GPUs/SoCs until 2017 at the earliest (Intel possibly excepted).

And 14LPE really isn't that mature. It's so far only been used in a small number of high-end mobile SoCs (which are both small dies and highly dependent on low power consumption). Qualcomm will start using 14LPP for the new Snapdragon 820, but all their mid-range chips (which are more likely to be representative of the kind of SoC you'd expect to find in a Nintendo handheld) are sticking with 28nm for a good while, perhaps even past the end of the year. AMD are another bit of evidence in favour of it being a slow-maturing node, as they're not shipping any APUs or high-end GPUs on 14LPP this year, which likely means you won't see anything over about 175mm² on it until 2017. In comparison, AMD were putting out 300mm²+ chips on 28nm pretty much immediately, even though it was widely considered to have very poor yields for the first year or two.

I don't think a 14nm SoC for the handheld is completely impossible (and as I said, I actually thing Nintendo should got that route), but I don't think there's any reason to expect it.

Honestly even Wii U used a newer process when it was launched in 2012 (the 45nm process launched in 2008) The process was forced on Nintendo by NEC since that was the best they had, Nintendo isn't in that same position at all, so the logic of going with 28nm seems to be lacking, instead what I see is expectations based on pure assumption, if I'm wrong and there is real logic to it, I'm all ears.

Wii U's CPU (Espresso) was manufactured on IBM's 45nm process, which was first used in shipping products in 2010 (POWER7). IBM's first 32nm chip (POWER7+) didn't ship to customers until early 2013.

Wii U's GPU (Latte) was manufactured on Renesas's 40nm process. The first 40nm TSMC chips shipped late 2009, although I can't find a date for Renesas's 40nm process (probably 6 months to a year after). While you're right that 28nm wasn't an option with Renesas, they obviously had the option open to them of using a GCN 1.0 based GPU and manufacturing on TSMC's 28nm node, which they didn't do. The availability of eDRAM may have played a part in this, but it's hard to say.

Ultra high end APU doesn't mean 6700K+980ti. Even the PS4 APU is "ultra high end", considering that when it came out AMD stated that it was the "most powerful" APU they had developed to date. I'm also pretty sure i read here that an ex Qualcomm guy was in charge with the SoC design, so it's definitely NX related. Google AR and Steam machines are not even consoles.

Keep in mind that LinkedIn profiles are effectively CV's, so I wouldn't expect modesty on the part of the people writing them. Phrases like "ultra high end" depend heavily on what you're comparing to, and if the comparison is to other Qualcomm products then maybe a device that competes with the Shield TV might be considered "ultra high end". The other possibility is that it's an internal product to offer as a turnkey solution to Android console makers, and they don't actually have a client for it yet.

Roo

I believe the so called wii u downgrade is a myth and never really happened, however if I remember correctly the ps4 was changed from 4 to 8 gigs of memory pretty late.
In that case that would mean specs are already locked down and only minor adjustments such as the ones I mentioned are subject to change so late in development.

Rodin

Wii U's CPU (Espresso) was manufactured on IBM's 45nm process, which was first used in shipping products in 2010 (POWER7). IBM's first 32nm chip (POWER7+) didn't ship to customers until early 2013.

Wii U's GPU (Latte) was manufactured on Renesas's 40nm process. The first 40nm TSMC chips shipped late 2009, although I can't find a date for Renesas's 40nm process (probably 6 months to a year after). While you're right that 40nm wasn't an option with Renesas, they obviously had the option open to them of using a GCN 1.0 based GPU and manufacturing on TSMC's 28nm node, which they didn't do. The availability of eDRAM may have played a part in this, but it's hard to say.
I thought they were both 45nm?

Keep in mind that LinkedIn profiles are effectively CV's, so I wouldn't expect modesty on the part of the people writing them. Phrases like "ultra high end" depend heavily on what you're comparing to, and if the comparison is to other Qualcomm products then maybe a device that competes with the Shield TV might be considered "ultra high end".
Yup, i know. I took it a bit like Cerny describing the PS4 as a "Supercharged PC", which actually adds to my point (ultra high end apu =/= 6700K+980ti). I think that even an 8 core arm cpu+1tflop gpu (my proposed specs) could be spinned as "ultra high end apu" and "industry leading chips".

The other possibility is that it's an internal product to offer as a turnkey solution to Android console makers, and they don't actually have a client for it yet.
I don't think that's the case considering he wrote "console coming out in 2016".

EDIT: ok, he changed that. Pretty sure it said "in 2016", which is now missing.

Like i said multiple times, the Wii U only got a little bit better (CPU clock went from 1GHZ to 1.24 and GPU from 400MHZ to 550). IIRC Arkam himself changed his opinion from "a bit worse than 360" (or something like that) to a more positive attitude towards the console.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing regarding NX in Ubisoft's Q3 Sales 2015-2016 conference call. Their Investor Day is one week from now, on Thursday, February 18, 2016.

The battle marches on.

I thought they were both 45nm?

I've heard people say anywhere from 40nm to 55nm. I believe 45nm, as Chipworks' study into Latte's eDRAM seemed to be the last word. Somewhat surprising that a 45nm process was not featured on the Renesas webpage. Then again, last I had checked, their 40nm eDRAM was listed as a future product. Maybe it never came to be.

There's even a pretty cool picture comparison w/ other eDRAMs at the link.

http://chipworksrealchips.blogspot.com/2014/02/intels-e-dram-shows-up-in-wild.html

AmyS

That's the fake leak, IIRC. AMD have stated first Zen APU is scheduled for 2017.

Ah that's right, it's also an old fake too. First Zen APU is due around mid 2017.
There was another rumor late last year that AMD has plans to provide next generation console APUs that are 5x more efficient (regardless of what performance level is targeted) to console manufacturers in 2018, which might make a 2019 launch possible.

You all aren't going to get anything until news officially comes out of Nintendo's mouth. Give up on hoping these investors are going to bring anything significant to the table.

Banned
You all aren't going to get anything until news officially comes out of Nintendo's mouth. Give up on hoping these investors are going to bring anything significant to the table.

Just stick me in a freezer and thaw me out when we get some concrete NX info.

Anything else is interesting to read but torturous.
Except I'm friends with Luigi and he told me the NX is not what we expect and it's gonna be very divisive.

Ogodei

I just saw 10k's post when I checked in & saw it quoted a lot. Then again, a single dev kit would make sense for a shared platform that's meant to scale the games being played.

Single dev-kit, multiple input devices, API makes it crystal clear about running things in handheld output mode and in console output mode. I could see it.

If you think about it, 2DS could be an experiment of that idea. We could have the base NX handheld at say 200$ and the 3DX that has more power to support 3D at 250-280$.
That means making every game 3D compatible and it just adds a lot of work for a feature most don't want anymore

Banned
Literally the only thing we expect about the NX is that it's a handheld and a console that's easy to port between.

So don't expect that?
That's what I'm saying. That's what everyone wants you to think. It's a red herring to distract us from what the NX really is. :p

The NX could very well refer to one of the two systems or both. Doesn't matter too much, but there will most likely be a handheld and a console. You can't have systems "like brothers" if it's an only child.
With Microsoft releasing most exclusives on pc and Xbox one at the same time, I really hope that's Nintendo's goal with the console and handheld.
Yeah, I was going to mention this. It's somewhat similar to Nintendo's situation except Nintendo will produce both hardware units.

Chittagong

Gold Member
As much as I love the idea of a hybrid console, being able to play a single SKU at home and on the road, I can't help but feel that it's a hammer looking for a nail.

It was really eye opening to watch the original Wii keynote and see how sharply they outlined the consumer problem (games are not intuitive for the masses), the business strategy (make gaming accessible for everyone) and the product solution (intuitive motion controls). It was a fucking hat trick. Naturally Wii didn't quite live up to the promise, but it didn't really matter.

With a hybrid, that trifecta is pretty damn weak.

Davey Cakes

That means making every game 3D compatible and it just adds a lot of work for a feature most don't want anymore
I really hope Nintendo just ditches 3D. If anything, pursue VR compatibility for future iterations of the NX.

No one gives a shit about 3D enough to justify increasing the cost of the device(s). It's an area where Nintendo can easily make a cut that benefits consumers overall.

Banned
Ancient Aliens guy voice:

Look, all I'm saying is the NX is a home console with a free form factor screen on a controller and interchangeable buttons and sticks. It will stream games to the n3DS, iOS, android, Xbox and PS4. There is no dedicated handheld.

aHDWU67.gif

I love this show

doop_

Banned

Look, all I'm saying is the NX is a home console with a free form factor screen on a controller and interchangeable buttons and sticks. It will stream games to the n3DS, iOS, android, Xbox and PS4. There is no dedicated handheld.

aHDWU67.gif

I love this show
I want to believe.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I too would love to see autostereoscopy make the translation to the new gen, but I'm not holding by breath for that.

Hermii

I really hope Nintendo just ditches 3D. If anything, pursue VR compatibility for future iterations of the NX.

No one gives a shit about 3D enough to justify increasing the cost of the device(s). It's an area where Nintendo can easily make a cut that benefits consumers overall.

3D is too expensive. Pursue VR!

McDonalds is too expensive, lets go to a steakhouse instead.

I too would love to see autostereoscopy make the translation to the new gen, but I'm not holding by breath for that.

Me three. At least make it an optional more expensive model down the road or something, like an NXi or the NX XL or whatever they want to call it.

Last I heard 3DS sells much better than 2DS. So perhaps many people enjoy 3D?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Last I heard 3DS sells much better than 2DS. So perhaps many people enjoy 3D?

Keep in mind that one is collapsible and as a result more "portable," while the other has been aimed at younger audiences (in design, colors, bundled games, etc.). Also, the 2DS is an afterthought, given that when you buy a a 3DS game, it does not say "2DS" in the official logo on the side and launched after the 3DS. I wouldn't buy a 2DS, even though I never turn the 3D on, because it seems like the "basic" model to me when I want the best experiences on my handheld.

To be clear, I'm certainly not going to agree with the sentiment that no one cares about 3D. It has its fans, for sure. I just wouldn't use the sales of the 2DS, a platform that hasn't launched in Japan yet, as a metric of which features are popular and which aren't when the competing models haven't been given equal attention and focus by Nintendo.

Neoxon

aHDWU67.gif

I love this show
They're gonna need another dedicated handheld sooner or later. The 3DS is on its last legs & is losing support from Nintendo's developers. Plus it's not like Nintendo's gonna leave the market to die when they're still able to make money from it.

Without making a statement on whether 3D is good or bad, it's no longer practical and the mass audience has moved past it as a factor in purchasing decisions of movies, TVs, and gaming systems.

Davey Cakes

3D is too expensive. Pursue VR!

McDonalds is too expensive, lets go to a steakhouse instead.
I mean down the line, for future iterations of the NX (or successor systems) after it's been proven. And I'm talking about compatibility (like with PC) as opposed to a built in feature in the original SKU. If VR goes the way of 3D (that is, it doesn't catch on quite as much as expected) then Nintendo can opt out. But, I'm just saying they shouldn't guarantee it, especially at this point in the game.

If anything, provide options for both? I just don't think 3D is a substantial enough feature to justify inclusion across the board.

Hermii

I mean down the line, for future iterations of the NX (or successor systems) after it's been proven. And I'm talking about compatibility (like with PC) as opposed to a built in feature in the original SKU. If VR goes the way of 3D (that is, it doesn't catch on quite as much as expected) then Nintendo can opt out. But, I'm just saying they shouldn't guarantee it, especially at this point in the game.

If anything, provide options for both? I just don't think 3D is a substantial enough feature to justify inclusion across the board.

I see. This makes sense:)

3D ate up a lot of the already paltry resources of the 3DS

And achieved yhe effect by rendering two low res screens at once

Cool effect but screw the cost. I am beyond done with the ugly ass gimmicks

WiiU has shown us that HD Nintendo is where the magic happens

Davey Cakes

Without making a statement on whether 3D is good or bad, it's no longer practical and the mass audience has moved past it as a factor in purchasing decisions of movies, TVs, and gaming systems.
Yeah, maybe I should have framed my point more like this.

It's just not something the average consumer cares about enough to justify the markup when this new Nintendo system needs to be priced right and focused on features that people want.

Of course 3D has its fans (I liked it a lot in Mario 3D Land, at least) but Nintendo needs to keep this one tight.

Yep, I think consumers would likely appreciate a better screen. 3D got a bad rep and if it's not in VR then I don't think they would care.
I think they should keep costs in consideration when creating these extras/gimmicks, 3D added a ton of cost to the 3DS which should've been much cheaper same with the Wii U. And both were seemingly a power drain on top of the weak hardware making the systems achieve less.
This comes from someone that's been a supporter of 3D and the second screen experience since launch.
As for VR, it's too expensive right now, but maybe after an upgrade of the console in 3-4 years?
They could add enough power to make each game made for the previous system to be able to support VR well and if the developers don't want to use VR they have extra power to play with.

Banned
That was my point. The 3D fad has worn off just like motion controls did back in 2010 or so.

It's not worth putting in those gimmicks. They're costly and won't be missed by most.

Malus

That was my point. The 3D fad has worn off just like motion controls did back in 2010 or so.

It's not worth putting in those gimmicks. They're costly and won't be missed by most.

Well, motion controls are still around in different forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom