• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

Has @antdickens been lucky enough to stumble across a #NintendoNX prototype in the wild? ・・・ I think I just played Nintendo NX on the plane... #NintendoNX

full.jpg

http://www.nintendolife.com/photos/...st-played-nintendo-nx-on-the-plane-nintendonx

Lol. Looks fake
Lol I remember playing something like those on long plane trips...since they were attached to the plane seat.

Rösti;195113192 said:
Sounds like a cock and bull story to me. At least if this information is recent, due to certain developments not long ago.

Well he said he didn't and I hope for his sake he won't get into trouble if he broke some part of the NDA. I know who he is and the studio he works for and have seen the PC version of the game they want to port to the NX, engine support is very important to them. Is it possible this NDA he has was an older one before the update and didn't have certain language the more recent one does? Either way the information he has on engine support didn't really surprise me, but good to know.

So just wondering, what's the info on how and why the NX would be only as powerful as the XB1? I don't think there's anything wrong with that type of power, but it just seems odd to release a system in a year that's going to be passed up by Sony and Xbox again as soon as their new systems are introduced.

So just wondering, what's the info on how and why the NX would be only as powerful as the XB1? I don't think there's anything wrong with that type of power, but it just seems odd to release a system in a year that's going to be passed up by Sony and Xbox again as soon as their new systems are introduced.

Well

WE are reaching the end of Moores Law bro. Not sure how much more power future systems will jump forward without some significant changes and cost associated with them

Peru

The comparison is pointless anyway. They're not going to fight over the same titles, for the most part.

We have no idea how powerful it will be, but there's a strong rumor that some software is shared between console and handheld and so if the console is a monster that would kind of ruin the relationship.

Neoxon

Lower price tag for the NX Console, mainly. The 3DS & the Wii U both took a hit from higher price tags, & it's too late in the generation for Nintendo to actually compete.

The comparison is pointless anyway. They're not going to fight over the same titles, for the most part.

We have no idea how powerful it will be, but there's a strong rumor that some software is shared between console and handheld and so if the console is a monster that would kind of ruin the relationship.

Ok i kind of reject this idea

The shared software idea doesnt need to be universal or a requirement

Its a convenient selling feature on a software by software basis

Its Ps4/Vita Cross Play but better

Honestly its a standard every ecossystem should have. PCs do it, SMartphones do it. Sony is getting there.

Peterc

Beside power and having both a console and handheld, I'm still wondering what new unique things the system will bring.

Don't know if VR still kan be ignored when all big company's are doing it.

Facebook,samsung,google,amazon,htc,apple,MS,Sony...

thefro

Tamaki started a couple rumors out of context that he walked back hard (the Nintendo employee saying Nintendo doesn't set out just to make a powerful console but won't make NX intentionally weak turned into "nintendo isn't making a powerful console"). The other one was the GfK survey with the "900p games" slide. Only one page was leaked, then Emily Rogers leaked the whole survey which had other NX configurations, some that would be more powerful than PS4.

Logically there's no reason for Nintendo to go a full half-generation ahead of the PS4 since 1) Nintendo internally doesn't really use that power and has limited teams who really push hardware in 2016, 2) Western third parties aren't going to make AAA exclusives for the console given the lack of userbase, 3) a console a half-gen ahead of the PS4 would be more expensive, and 4) it would be hard to downport games to the portable. Nintendo can always release a more powerful NX console when the PS5, etc come out if the shared platform is set up properly.

Logically it does make sense to clearly best the PS4 for ease of third party ports and bragging rights in the console wars. I don't think it'd be that much more expensive to do that than to release a XB1 level console, particularly since the processor will likely be better than the PS4/XB1.

Honestly its a standard every ecossystem should have. PCs do it, SMartphones do it. Sony is getting there.
Yeah, people are so hung up on the unified development aspect of Nintendo's recent restructuring, and seem to believe it will be detrimental to the NX console's power. I suspect Nintendo will have a trick or two that will shift our current ideas of what cross-platform looks like.

Hermii

The NX has no chance of competing power wise with Sony and MS future systems, so it may be better to just make it cheap and powerful enough to be competitive.

Also some of us believe NX is designed for forward compatibility which would mean they could upgrade specs more often than traditional console generations.

Ogodei

For the kinds of games Nintendo makes, it often doesn't matter. In terms of RAM at least, there's little about Splatoon, 3D World, or even Pikmin 3 that couldn't be done if you downscaled everything and made it muddier for the 3DS. Hell, that was the point of 3D World to begin with, almost. Or games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

It would definitely hamstring 3rd party development to try to make it universal, more from western games or games which are targeted at high-end consoles (FFXV, the inevitable Watch Dogs 2 or GTA6). So it will be interesting, especially if the NX Home is an afterthought as many here speculate, because if the home version is poor-selling despite its power, then it's just not going to get any of those distinguishing titles, but then that comes back around and begs the question of why have a home model at all?

Actually, writing this out, it makes it clear that the NX Home can't be an afterthought, because then there'd be no point in making NX Home instead of just giving it the Vita TV treatment; a "cheap" upscaler box with HDMI-out and multitap controller ports.

Peru

They've physically combined their handheld and console software and hardware divisions. If they mean serious business with this I expect/hope for at least all 1st party AAA games to be made for both. Maybe yeah, they'd let 3rd parties do what they want.

I'm feeling optimistic that the NX console will at least match Xbone specs. I'll probably get some heat for this from my techy friends here, but if Nintendo need/want 14nm for the handheld, it makes sense to go w/ 14nm in the console as well. That way, they could share the exact some (industry leading) GPU architecture in Polaris. As we've seen, Nintendo are also still mindful of power draw even in their home consoles, so there's that benefit as well. It would give them a point of differentiation vs the rival consoles if they could sell NX w/ a miniature case design. It worked for Wii.

Bonaire XT is 160mm^2 on 28nm. Halve that for 14nm and disable a couple CUs for yield and you've got an Xbox One. Add some more size on for the CPU and we're still looking at a chip under ~150mm^2. Throw in 8 GDDR5 chips on a 128-bit bus (or even a 256-bit bus w/ lower clocked RAM to reduce heat) and they're good to go.

bachikarn

Lower price tag for the NX Console, mainly. The 3DS & the Wii U both took a hit from higher price tags, & it's too late in the generation for Nintendo to actually compete.

There were more issues with the 3DS and the Wii U than just the pricetag. If price was a magic fix for the Wii U, they would have dropped the price by more now. It was just an uninteresting product to the majority of consumers.

Neoxon

There were more issues with the 3DS and the Wii U than just the pricetag. If price was a magic fix for the Wii U, they would have dropped the price by more now. It was just an uninteresting product to the majority of consumers.
It was one of many problems, something that Nintendo may want to avoid this time.

atbigelow

Actually, writing this out, it makes it clear that the NX Home can't be an afterthought, because then there'd be no point in making NX Home instead of just giving it the Vita TV treatment; a "cheap" upscaler box with HDMI-out and multitap controller ports.

I think Nintendo is going to end up having a "Vita TV" version of NX at some point. You take the guts of the handheld, give it an HDMI out and an upscaler (assuming the HH runs at 540p, 1080p is a perfect 2x multiplier for in resolution dimensions) and boom; you've created a small, digital-only streaming box that plays NX games. $99 and ship it.

bachikarn

For the kinds of games Nintendo makes, it often doesn't matter. In terms of RAM at least, there's little about Splatoon, 3D World, or even Pikmin 3 that couldn't be done if you downscaled everything and made it muddier for the 3DS. Hell, that was the point of 3D World to begin with, almost. Or games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

It would definitely hamstring 3rd party development to try to make it universal, more from western games or games which are targeted at high-end consoles (FFXV, the inevitable Watch Dogs 2 or GTA6). So it will be interesting, especially if the NX Home is an afterthought as many here speculate, because if the home version is poor-selling despite its power, then it's just not going to get any of those distinguishing titles, but then that comes back around and begs the question of why have a home model at all?

I think it is almost a guarantee that the NX portable won't be able to play all the games that the NX console can run.

This is exactly what happened with Wii U. Nintendo isn't very good at learning lessons, so don't be surprised if it happens again. That said, Nintendo isn't going to be competing with either on specs really, it sits in its own niche - which'll hopefully get bigger if they make good decisions.

The NX has no chance of competing power wise with Sony and MS new systems, so it may be better to just make it cheap and powerful enough to be competitive.

Also some of us believe NX is designed for forward compatibility which would mean they could upgrade specs more often than traditional console generations.
I'm not so sure. Like I mentioned previously they could try to appeal to different demographics with their devices with a more expensive console and a cheaper handheld. Though making it just like an X1 would likely be the better solution if they can make it cheaper than at least one of the competitors or both.
Revisions mean that if the make a mistake it wouldn't be permanent and could be changed quickly depending on when the market demands it.
If a new Xbox comes out in like 2-3 years Nintendo could release a revision much like the iPad to compete.
If they can provide an Xbox one equivalent machine that's able to play every single game Nintendo releases plus 3rd party multiplats I think there's a big enough market for that.

doop_

Banned
Just make the airplane remote thing have a free form display, circle pads, scroll wheel's and i think I wouldn't mind it.

maxcriden

If most games won't be playable on both systems,bar have another half-measure 3DS and Wii U situation, though. A handheld offering a console experience and a console bizarrely trying to be a dual screen handheld.

(and I say this as someone who loves both systems)

bachikarn

Yea but devs could probably relatively cheeply downgrade the assets and so on and make another lower scale game for NX portable.

Depends on the game. It's not always as simple as scaling down assets.

Look at Destiny. Part of the reason the game isn't as good as it could be is because they have to keep it compatible with last gen.

Hermii

I'm not so sure. Like I mentioned previously they could try to appeal to different demographics with their devices with a more expensive console and a cheaper handheld. Though making it just like an X1 would likely be the better solution if they can make it cheaper than at least one of the competitors or both.
Revisions mean that if the make a mistake it wouldn't be permanent and could be changed quickly depending on when the market demands it.
If a new Xbox comes out in like 2-3 years Nintendo could release a revision much like the iPad to compete.
If they can provide an Xbox one equivalent machine that's able to play every single game Nintendo releases plus 3rd party multiplats I think there's a big enough market for that.
I'm not really sure what we disagree on here. I think an Xbox one powered forward compatible NX home is a good idea.

Depends on the game. It's not always as simple as lowering assets.

Look at Destiny. Part of the reason the game isn't as good as it could be is because they have to keep it compatible with last gen.
Last gen and current gen consoles doesn't have a unified architecture like we think MX home and NX handheld has.

Besides I meant they could make a seperate game using downgraded assets from the home version relatively cheaply. Maybe in some cases.

bachikarn

This is exactly what happened with Wii U. Nintendo isn't very good at learning lessons, so don't be surprised if it happens again. That said, Nintendo isn't going to be competing with either on specs really, it sits in its own niche - which'll hopefully get bigger if they make good decisions.

I'd like to hope Nintendo would be smarter than that. I'm pretty sure the Japanese console market is dead. So if they are going to make another console, they have to start designing it for western tastes. And the west doesn't care about a lower speced value system.

Maybe Nintendo has some delusion they can resurrect the console market there? Hope not.

maxcriden

I think Nintendo is going to end up having a "Vita TV" version of NX at some point. You take the guts of the handheld, give it an HDMI out and an upscaler (assuming the HH runs at 540p, 1080p is a perfect 2x increase) and boom; you've created a small, digital-only streaming box that plays NX games. $99 and ship it.

Once that exists, though, why would most consumers buy the NX console?

I'd like to hope Nintendo would be smarter than that. I'm pretty sure the Japanese console market is dead. So if they are going to make another console, they have to start designing it for western tastes. And the west doesn't care about a lower speced value system.

Maybe Nintendo has some delusion they can resurrect the console market there? Hope not.

Thats why they make two systems

Peru

No matter what this thing turns out to be some people will be shocked considering all the different statements about what it "has to" be or "definitely won't" be.

No matter what this thing turns out to be some people will be shocked considering all the different statements about what it "has to" be or "definitely won't" be.

I am definitely puzzled as to what the X-factor for the NX is going to be

Have two new and sleek systems with reasonable cost and power, a new account system, and modern network features would be enough for me..

Whats the "one more thing" thats supposed to define it?

Because right now all the info in the OP just points to a course correction to get Nintendo back with the times in a few areas.

LewieP

Have two new and sleek systems with reasonable cost and power, a new account system, and modern network features would be enough for me..

Because right now all the info in the OP just points to a course correction to get Nintendo back with the times in a few areas.

At least two Nintendo games a month on average across the platform's lifetime.

Peru

For me with all the signals and hints I expect at least to be able to pick and choose where to play mainline Nintendo games. That's the hook that drives me crazy with anticipation. And that would lead to more AAA Nintendo games. Knowing full well I could be in for one of those classic disappoint-a-thons.

For me with all the signals and hints I expect at least to be able to pick and choose where to play mainline Nintendo games. That's the hook that drives me crazy with anticipation. Knowing full well I could be in for one of those classic disappoint-a-thons.

I recently played some Helldivers on Vita with friends on PS4 and Vita

I was blown away. Sure the Vita version isnt the prettiest but the fact that Cross Plya worked flawlessly, voice worked, the contols worked and we could all play competently together no matter if we were able to be at home or not

I believe Toukiden Kiwami works the same way.

Sony was knocking on a pretty cool door that unfortunately they havent ever doubled down on

Will Nintendo try? or is this just a side effect of HAVING a unified ecosystem.

As in. This type of thing should be the DEFAULT expectation if you have multiple systems running in teh same software environment

Scum

Scrolling-shoulder buttons - Schrolders™

Hermii

We have no idea and nothing to base our speculation on aside from a few vague patents. So it's kind of pointless speculating.

atbigelow

Once that exists, though, why would most consumers buy the NX console?
Same reason people are buying PS4s over Apple TVs or Radeon 390s instead of 370s. There's always people who will pay more to get more. You would be running the "lower-tier" version of NX games. They might want to play the version with 1080p graphics and 60 FPS.

I think part of the idea for NX (at least how I figure): it doesn't matter which hardware device a consumer buys. They just need to make the sale and get them to start buying games.

Peterc

Think about the wiiu. It was slightly better as xbox 360. If NX does again the same thing like wiiu, nobody wants it. The nx console should slightly be better than ps4 i think to compete. We know how well it goes with x1 sales. Why should nx goes in the same direction while the other console are already on the markt for 2y?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom